[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Engineering industries

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 2.jpg (19KB, 451x267px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
19KB, 451x267px
Which industry is hot for MechE's? Is it true that an MBA gets an engineer a much higher salary in the long run? I was thinking that maybe there were some jobs in the oil industry, but PetE has been tanking lately. Enlighten me /biz/nessmen.
>>
For the love of god don't do petroleum. Don't let a friend do it either.

And no you don't want a masters degree that's for immigrants.

The key is to get internships. In your summers. Even as a freshman start applying.
>>
>>1020333
in addition of meche, try adding some certificate like hse or so.
>>
>>1020343

There's a Lockheed Martin around where I am. I was thinking about trying to get an internship there. But, I don't know how the life will be at large companies vs small companies. I hear that it's better to start at large companies to get experience. However, I don't know how much of this is true. I plan to stick with Aero/MechE anyways. I was considering EE, but I hear tons of them nowadays go into software.
>>
>>1020333
I work at a very large automotive manufacturing plant for the big 3. Assoc degree in mech Eng, start pay was 23.75 hourly with little exp. Did a co-op, they liked me. Got a better job the next year.
>>
>>1020372

Nice, I'm in for four years of Mech/AerospaceE. Hopefully I won't be fucked after I graduate. I went to an in-state school so luckily I won't be destroyed with debt. But yeah, I've gotta get my ass into internships.
>>
>>1020375
i was in mechanical engineering and went into a phd program because i was unable to find a job. academically, i had a great record so getting into the program was easily, but when it came to industry work i only got responses for the shit contract positions that companies don't even bother filling themselves and hire third party recruiters. fuck wasting four years of my life to earn as much as i could have as a trucker straight out of high school.
>>
>>1020381

Why'd you go into a phd program? That's fucking overkill. Companies look at you as being overqualified. Eh, being a trucker wouldn't be so bad. But then again, I could make shit loads being a plumber up north.
>>
>>1020382
the contract positions are shit and they dangle the salary position in front of you to get you to work harder. if you accept the contract position future employers will also low ball you because they know those positions pay shit.

on the other hand, just saying fuck it and going into trades or trucking would have meant that i pissed away 4 years of my life with nothing to really show for it. at least with the phd in the absolute worst case i can be a lecturer where you do fuck all, are always in demand, and the pay isn't that bad.

at my university lecturers get paid 80-100k a year and it's a job that seriously doesn't require more than 20 hours a week. even if you teach 3 classes, which i think is the most they can expect from you, that's 9 hours in class and then the remaining 11 hours is for preparing/office hours. however, you get TAs and tell the students to fuck off to the TAs for everything except in class material.

plus we get to dip shit in liquid nitrogen and throw it against the wall when we have nothing better to do.
>>
>>1020333
Aerospace

Yes on the MBA, but wait until you've got some experience, and your employer will pay for it

>>1020343
For my field (fatigue and damage tolerance) you pretty much need a Master's, but that's an exception

>>1020390
My contract position pays $40/hr starting, again, maybe an exception
>>
>>1020581

Thanks, mate. I know a lot of guys go into management positions when they have MBA's. Hopefully management won't be stressful as fuck. Otherwise I'd just stick with a regular BEng.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.