[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Big Market to Small Market

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I was born and raised near New York City, but I'm trying to move to Charlotte, North Carolina because there's more opportunities there for me to work in the field I want to (Sports Marketing, specifically Auto Racing). I have a few job interviews next month with some unrelated companies, but I got some questions initially about my applying from out of state. Now, I feel like I have to prepare myself for people questioning why I would decide to leave the economic capital of the entire world to pursue a career in a smaller city instead.

I personally know why I'm doing it (High cost and low quality of living, working in NYC would mean living with my parents, etc.), but I'm not quite sure how to frame it as a professional in explaining myself to potential employers. Has anyone on here ever left a big-time city to start a career/life in a smaller market, and how did you explain it to others?
>>
I left the Bay Area to work in Columbia, SC after I graduated from college at Cal. I make the same salary here working in tech as I would at big time Silicon Valley company but the cost of living is WAY less and the girls in the South are way hotter and get wet for guys from big cities. Couldn't be happier.
>>
Just say you want to see what the rest of the country has to offer you and that you've heard great things about the South, specifically Charlotte. It's a very respectable business town especially for banking.
>>
>>1017642

I should mention that I went to school in the central part of the state. I never wanted to leave, but had to move back in with my parents after I finished because I didn't get hired immediately.
>>
People in Charlotte would probably love to hear that you want to leave New York to come work in Charlotte. As long as you're confident then it will be obvious you want to do this instead of have to do this.
>>
>>1017680

My only apprehension is that since I'm applying for a Management Training deal, I'm worried that they may turn around and say that they don't want to wait for me to move down from NY, even though they invited me in for an interview.

I've been thinking of saying something along the lines of "I feel like I can go further and do more fulfilling work here than I can back home", which is the truth considering that the alternative is my Dad getting me an Excel jockey do-nothing job.
>>
CLT is nothing to scoff at being the #2 banking city after NYC. Really good place to live and cost of living is great comparatively.
>>
>>1017930

That's true, but my old man is a born and bred New Yorker, and any other city (Besides maybe Chicago) might as well be Fargo to him.

I've gotten the talk plenty of times. "You have the center of the business you want to enter in your backyard. Why would you want to move somewhere else?". It was the same deal when I was looking at going to College in NC, and it's the same deal all over again now. He's not doing it to be a penis, it's just all he knows.
>>
>>1017647
UNC or State grad?
>>
OP you still here? I'm moving to NYC (my wife got accepted to a med school there) and I was wondering where a good place to find a cheap (less than $2K/month) apartment would be? Specifically something that isn't all black/arab people.
>>
>>1018063

I am not the OP, but apartments in north Manhattan (north of 150th street) will be in your price range. There will be many, many Hispanics, but those neighborhoods are gentrifying quickly.
>>
>>1018061

Elon
>>
>>1017611
don't do it OP, Charlotte sucks. Nothing to do here other than go to shitty clubs and bars that are overcrowded and the drinks/beer overcharged. I'm here now and can't wait to get out, putting condo on the market in February.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.