[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do people stay driven and motivated in making money when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 4

File: 1431847941776.jpg (1MB, 3791x2525px) Image search: [Google]
1431847941776.jpg
1MB, 3791x2525px
How do people stay driven and motivated in making money when they already make enough to be very comfortable for the foreseeable future...

say someone is making 100k a year (after taxes), and it's very safe & secure... what could motivate that person to work harder to make more??
>>
>>1017410
>what could motivate that person to work harder to make more??
a second Ferrari.

I can't remember the name for it but everyone gets accustomed to what they have and thus want more after a while.
>>
>>1017410
>what could motivate that person to work harder to make more?

Having a goal like buying a home or retiring early helps give you motivation.
Other than that if you actually enjoy your job then that should be enough.
I've was in a position where I was making good money but didn't have any direction or goals in life and as a result became very self destructive. Now I've worked out what I want lifes a hell of a lot better.
>>
Giving. Yeah I know it seems strange, but I've seen in happen. An old friend of mine started becoming very successful, earning well above 100k, and then started stagnating. He had the house, car, quality of life etc he always wanted. He had much more potential though, and one day he decided to randomly help a family who's house burnt down. The satisfaction he got from basically saving them from a horrible tragedy made him want to make more. He ended up starting a charity, which is now a huge success.
>>
>>1017410
Boobs
>>
Most are only making six figures in the first place because of their motivation.

Im making 90k and I am not even close to being satisfied. If anything im disappointed with it. Perhaps being satisfied is not in my nature.
>>
>made $120k+ for past 4 years
>don't feel special
>would like to earn more but $20-$30k more isn't noticeable
>so I don't try
>>
Thier is no amount of money you can't out spend.

I work with people's finances and alot of people who make low six figures are not really any better off Than someone making half that. They make maybe 50k more than the other guy, but mostly absorb the extra cash with silly spending or poor financial decesions. Of course, this is not universal, but I do see it alot.

So the point is, I guess, alot of people get their income up to 6 figures without meaningfully enhancing their security in the slightest, and maybe even just aquiring more liabilities, driving their perceived need to increase income.

"Hey Bob, why congrats on the promotion, how do you stay motivated?"

>well I have a larger mortgage that I can afford
>and my car payments
>and the car payments for that second car I bought
>and the payments on by ski boat are killing me
>those dock fees
>I had to get a storage unit to hold all this shit too
>btw I am running to starbucks for the 4th time today, does anyone need a 7 dollar coffee?

Lots of people live like this, and it fuels the obsession with making more money.
>>
>>1017410
Early retirement

If he spend 120k and earns 100k hes still wage slave as fuck
>>
>>1017431
this
or invest in immortality research
>>
>>1017410
Adderall and a liberating amphetamine addiction
>>
>>1017410

I don't fucking know anon. I am in the same boat. Looks like I'll make $50k this year, and now I really don't care that much about progress. This is enough for me to have what I want, so why go further?

But I hear once you have kids, all that changes and you can never have enough for them.
>>
>>1017482
This, anon.

I make 80k, taxes/insurance/401k/social security take away 30k, costs of living take away 27k, Sperges (getting a book, going out once in a while, buying a new shirt, seeing a movie, getting better groceries) take up about 3k in a year. I'm left with ~20k in a year, which sounds great.

Except I finally got rid of my student loans this year. It'll take me 1 year to get an emergency fund, 15 years to pay off a mediocre, old home in my state, and another year to pay off 2-3 cars I'll need for 16 years of life. So that means in 16 years I can finally make a dollar that doesn't have a predetermined spending point.

Sixteen fucking years. And that's assuming no marriage or kids.
>>
>>1017410
"slacking on your pimping? turn it up" - jermaine dupri
>>
>>1017414
hedonic treadmill
>>
>>1017410

I dunno. If I was secure on money for the rest of my days, I'd probably still want a trade/hobby/job that I enjoy, you know?

Every person should have a skill.
>>
Lol, you just have it in you. Its pure greed.

100k a year? The fuck can I do with that, even if i was a multi billionaire I'd still be making deals and making money, it doesn't end. That's the difference between the super rich and everyone else, they have proper hunger for endless money.
>>
File: 1421123642237.jpg (127KB, 600x324px) Image search: [Google]
1421123642237.jpg
127KB, 600x324px
>>1017410
I made just over 100k this year. I consider that shit tier money so it is easy to stay motivated. Just ask yourself if you live in a mansion with supercars and bikini models and when the answer is no keep trying shit.
>>
>>1017410
You learn to enjoy what you do. You learn to love the contest against the physical world, discovering what it takes to increase your annualized returns even if this involves learning chinese, how to code or some other arduous task. You remember when you were a pleb seeking to escape mediocrity, not even sure if your startup is ever going to succeed but doing it anyway because this is the proper way to live.

>b...b..but I don't want to be a square

Why? Are you still in high school? Do you need to impress the cool kids? Do you have a popularity contest to win?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5D2RvIQwQE
>>
I guess I'm in the minority. I make about 170k and I have zero motivation whatsoever to make more. I already save enough to retire at 40. I have more senior coworkers making 250k but with their hours I just don't see how it's worthwhile.
>>
>>1017475
That's why you always make sure all payraises go immediately into savings/investments.
>>
>>1017410
>How do people stay driven and motivated in making money when they already make enough to be very comfortable for the foreseeable future...
Get married and start a family. Your motivation will spike and your money will disappear.
>>
>>1017475

so true. Thanks for writing this.
>>
>>1017410
Mine is thinking at some point the party is going to end so I have to grab all I can.
>>
>>1017469
20-30k more puts you in a prime position to put that money to work in a turn-key business.
>>
>>1017584
How old are you? I'm 18 and I'm scared of ending up in this situation. No offense intended, honestly.
>>
>>1017475
Bank manager here. This guy nailed it. I know more people on 60k with their shit sorted than 2-300k earners (as a couple)
>>
>>1017475
Reminds me of an Toronto life article, where they interview several families that all make 100-200K a year and where all their money goes to
http://torontolife.com/city/almost-rich/

>"At the end of the month, after all the bills are paid, they usually find they have nothing left."
Some of these people spend as much per month on wine then you do on your rent.
Or their daycare expense is larger than your pretax income and then they whine that they too are broke at the end of the month.
>>
>>1017410

To send your kids to private school and have their university tuition paid for so when they leave they are debt free, it makes a huge difference!
>>
Goals. I sort of think of it in video game terms, and I set savings goals and such to hit. I admit it's probably a little weird, but it's what keeps me going.
>>
>>1017410
Depends on your cost of living, 100k to me would mean I never worry about money. Why would I need more?
>>
>>1017410
nothing will ever be enough for them. this is a good thing, these people innovate and improve lives.
>>
File: ottomans.gif (221KB, 1104x834px) Image search: [Google]
ottomans.gif
221KB, 1104x834px
I don't know, I'm a wage slave and I'm not even trying for promotion anymore. I just want more time to board game
>say someone is making 100k a year (after taxes), and it's very safe & secure.
> very safe & secure
like a trusttfund baby? usually because they are board or whatever.
>How do people stay driven and motivated in making money
if they earned it, a lot of people don't stay motivated, they are happy where they are, or retire early, etc.
or like
>>1017475
>>1018024
said, they live pay to paycheck on 6 figures.
but mostly if they earned it,, they don't kno how to stop. They have been successfully programmed to keep going, and the ladder only goes up. They don't know how to onto minimalism to be happy.
>>
>>1018088
>these people innovate and improve lives.
lol, no they don't. Most scientists are minimalists.
It's like Mitt Romney and his Vulture Capitalism/leveraged buyouts. Some of those companies were actually above water and making profit, it was just a faster way to cash out to sell off the assets and fire everyone. leveraged buyouts Are not a good deal fro anyone expect the 5 people in the room making a deal. It's the same with everything.
These people just take jobs from other people by working 16 hour days while hoarding money.
>>
No amount of money is enough. Anyone who says you don't need money to be happy is either a wage quq, lying or a SJW faggot.
>>
>>1018126
I used to be a freegan and that was probably the healthiest/happiest I've been. However, the retirement plan is trash, so lately I've been a workaholic amassing capital like a motherfucker. I have high blood pressure and I think about killing myself on a daily basis, but other than that I'm having a pretty okay time and the escapism I can afford now is more grandiose than it was before.
>>
>>1018030
That's only abnormal in that the majority of the population doesn't have the wherewithal to set proper goals.
>>
>>1017646
good video man.
>>
>>1017991
26, and I'm doing better than *literally* everyone I know in my generation. Not even just friends, literally any single person I have encountered and known their employment status.

Life is sad.
>>
File: 1423621946529.jpg (104KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
1423621946529.jpg
104KB, 803x688px
>>1018169
>I have high blood pressure and I think about killing myself on a daily basis, but other than that I'm having a pretty okay time and the escapism I can afford now is more grandiose than it was before.
I've never heard it worded so well before. I feel you, brother.

No homo.
>>
>>1018309
>No homo.
Doesn't matter, anyway, haven't had time for sex in about a year.
>>
>>1017654
what do you do, anon?
>>
>>1017410
who are these semen demons
>>
>>1017410

> where da white gurls at?
>>
>>1017584
predetermined spending point isn't a bad thing. I made an entire lifetime budget, so the only time I'll earn money that's not "predetermined" is the day after I can retire
>>
>>1017410
I make just under 100k after taxes per year. I stay motivated because I want the freedom to do afford every basic thing I want for the rest of my life without ever having to work again.

once I achieve that goal, I'm free to work on any project I want (or nothing at all). that's powerful motivation for me.
>>
>>1020410
Are you single? Do you intend to stay that way until you retire? That's been my main distraction: I want to use my youth to find a nice lass.
>>
>>1017475
I remember reading something about those who are in the upper middle class and being broke. Its rising trend because of their expenses and no savings or investments. I forgot who wrote an article about this, and I believe its the Atlantic or something with a similar logo to the TA.
>>
>>1017584
Dayum I feel richer than you because I make half what you make, but I always I have more money to spend. FYI, "better groceries" is your problem. There is no such thing. They're all the same shit. Get teh bulk meats for pennies on the dollar. Its the same shit people in expensive restaurant eat. Why the fuck you need 2-3 cars?
>>
>>1018464
DO you have ED? It something a lot of late 20s men who work a lot refuse to admit.
>>
>>1020470
I've actually got an obnoxiously high libido that causes me to make bad life choices regarding women, so I've just been staying away from them until I have the time and energy to devote towards keeping myself level-headed in such circumstances.

Wouldn't be surprised if I end up with it, though, I kept getting hit with waves of depression when fucking the last girl I was with and almost wasn't able to keep hard.
>>
>>1017410
When a kid wants a toy and you buy him one, then he wants 2 toys, and then 4,8...
Human fucking nature
>>
>>1020478
I am always jerking off so I don't have that problem. But depression is bitch and I know the feels. Most women aren't just worth it.
>>
Philanthropy
>>
>>1017410
Disregard bitches acquire currency.
>>
>>1021056
This. Fuck bitches; get money.
>>
>>1017410
A lot of the richest people care more about their work or making more money than enjoying it.
>>
>>1017414
This basically guy with plenty of money told me once when I asked him why he kept on building and opening new ventures that "money was like pussy the more you get, the more you want"
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.