[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is buying Gold and Silver actually a good investment or just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: we_buy_gold_bullion.gif (87KB, 510x300px) Image search: [Google]
we_buy_gold_bullion.gif
87KB, 510x300px
Is buying Gold and Silver actually a good investment or just a meme? The price has been tanking recently and I might buy some.
>>
If you live in California your best bet is to go to Mexico with an updatable spot price app and negotiate from there.
>>
I have stocks on ABX, 4% increase in 3 months. If I sold high, I'd have a profit of 8% but I'm holding, it's going up soon.
>>
I've been seeing this shit on the news a lot and was curious myself.

>>1016832
Why? Not OP, and I live in Nevada.
>>
>>1016823
Got silver bars (1kg) as decoration. They ain't that expensive I think 700€ each. Does anyone know what they're coated with? Came in plastic and I stripped them but they don't oxidate, the one I cut is getting black on the cut.
>op if you got the money lying around and you enjoy looking at some real worth instead of paper, get them
>>
>>1017075
Silver becomes darkened when it gets in contact with stainless steel i believe
>>
File: gold and silver.jpg (40KB, 450x273px) Image search: [Google]
gold and silver.jpg
40KB, 450x273px
>>1016823

I'm only buying silver since I'm a small time buyer.

Our paper money is bullshit and that's not just a meme you hear fat old white people spouting on "WE BUY AND SELL GOLD AND SILVER" ads on TV Land during the Gunsmoke and Bonanza marathons.

So as an inflation hedge and in the event of a dollar collapse gold and silver are good.

Don't bother with numismatics/collector coins and shit like that. Just get generic rounds and bars made by private mints. I buy from Provident metals. I pay by electronic check because it's cheaper than paying by credit card/PayPal. You could buy Government minted, but you'll pay more than you would for generic and they're just as good in this context.

Junk silver, like pre-1965 dimes and quarters, are obviously more easily divisible and therefore better for bartering, but you'll pay a higher premium for them.
>>
>>1017075
Gold doesn't really colour much.

Silver can get scratched and lose some colour (but its easy to get it back).

You can also just buy platinum it will always retain its value since its used in production of certain things such as cars.
>>
>>1017178
>I buy from Provident metals
I sure hope you're buying the american eagles instead of their own mint coins.
>>
File: 1364868773616.jpg (21KB, 248x238px) Image search: [Google]
1364868773616.jpg
21KB, 248x238px
>>1017196

W-w-why?
>>
>>1017244
Because, they're not on the LBMA good delivery list of refiners?
>>
>>1017266

I've bought Elemetal minted rounds from Provident so far and they're on the list.

I just ordered some Prospector rounds because they're the lowest over spot. They were minted by Elemetal as well.
>>
>>1016823
Honestly I'm not 100% sure if it's the optimal strategy but I have recently invested in some, I kind of view it as insurance on the assumption the government will continue to fuck up the economy (print 'stimulus' and devalue dollar) and that there will be another adjustment in the market in the next year or so.

Price has been floating pretty low last 2 months, and I think odds are pretty good my insurance will atleast pay off decently.
>>
File: Traits-of-Money_1.png (194KB, 659x389px) Image search: [Google]
Traits-of-Money_1.png
194KB, 659x389px
Every store of wealth is deprecated in a post-Bitcoin environment.
>>
>>1017317
lol nice meme

faggot
>>
>>1017321
cope
>>
>>1016832
I live minutes from the border tell me more
>>
Where do you guys find accurate worth of your metals? Not sure who to trust.
>>
>>1016823
Well I was bitcoin proactive, and I hated the idea of gold and silver.

But literally last night someone said that 1 ounce of gold will be worth 100+ bitcoins and that's the agenda for the global wealth transfer when the USD gets shit on.

Im guessing there using the bitgold site for conversions.
>>
>>1017970

Man, you people are so stupid, I'm actually interested in investing in a Bitcoin service provider to take advantage of you schmucks.
>>
>>1017958
If you mean the wortth when you want to sell, I usually visit the two-three places around here that buys silver/gold and get them to give me a valuation. I know some places list their buying price on their website.
>>
I certainly wont use the money in my bank account in stocks because I have too little for it to be safe. So instead of lending the bank my money and actually losing money over time due to inflation, would it be better to just dump a chunk of it into silver before or in the middle of 2017 and then holding onto it for a decade or two? I'm expecting it to either go down to 10$ within six months then go steadily up, or it will stay at 5$ or even lower for years to come but eventually even out at the end of it. The main focus is that I wont be investing this money into anything, and keeping it in the bank is not always a good idea. My currency is not the dollar so I don't need to be afraid of it suddenly losing a lot of value.
>>
File: silver 2.jpg (32KB, 740x433px) Image search: [Google]
silver 2.jpg
32KB, 740x433px
Is there any benefit to buying Government minted metals over privately minted? Especially in the event of a dollar collapse?
>>
File: 1450064023790.jpg (35KB, 400x396px) Image search: [Google]
1450064023790.jpg
35KB, 400x396px
>>1016823

It's not an investment.

It's a psychological disorder that falls into the same bracket as hording and similar afflictions.
>>
>>1018740
If you're buying low and selling high, it's as good as tulip bulbs, retail stock, or anything else. Just a means to acquire currency.

I think it's a different kind of investment... if things go bazinga Zimbabwe, precious metal will always have *some* value. It's a rainy day hedge you can pass down for generations. I wouldn't even consider putting more than a negligible portion of my portfolio in it, considering the returns elsewhere may be much better.
>>
>>1017317
>gold
>fungible
enjoy your tungsten-filled gold shell
>>
File: 1450363590856.jpg (419KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1450363590856.jpg
419KB, 1920x1200px
>>1018750
>If you're buying low and selling high, it's as good as tulip bulbs, retail stock, or anything else.

You have no idea if you're buying low right now because you have no way to quantify and predict demand in the future.

In my view, (as a geologist), gold is not worth more than 300-400 per ounce, if you take out industrial demand, it's even less. It's mostly speculation that drives gold prices, which makes the world market irrational and un-investable.

If it was only industrial demand that controlled the prices of gold, it would be less than copper and the base metals.

>I think it's a different kind of investment... if things go bazinga Zimbabwe, precious metal will always have *some* value.

That's a rather wild assumption you have there.
>>
>>1018759
You're probably right!

Gold and silver has been a traditional medium of exchange for longer than we've had money. It's not rational, but it's true. If I had to start from scratch in a new place because I was utterly ruined by the winds of fate, I guess I'd want a couple thousand bucks in gold to get started while I try to find a niche in my new community as a laborer or petty entrepreneur.

And again, my position is that it shouldn't be a significant portion of your wealth. If you want to get rich from gold, start a business to fleece goldbugs!
>>
>>1018772
>If you want to get rich from gold, start a business to fleece goldbugs!

This is the only way to make money from gold tbqhdesusenpai
>>
File: TotalREALReturns1871.png (19KB, 483x413px) Image search: [Google]
TotalREALReturns1871.png
19KB, 483x413px
>>
>>1016823
No, it's a metal, it doesn't grow like a company. You can speculate on the price of metal, but you don't invest in it.
>>
>>1016823
Unless you're planning to make electronics or jewelry, then no.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.