[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

employees?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0771.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0771.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Alright biz, so,

I have had my own business for several years.

As of now, it's a profitable business. Problem is, I am one person. I have a lot of work where if I did it, it would be you know, $30/hour, $25/hour in profit, but I don't have time for that stuff so it gets thrown into a scrap pile and sold for pennies.

I'm working 80 hours per week and not able to do this stuff that I've been scraping because there is all the other shit I need to do.

Right now business consists of,

>acquire the electronics (me)
>take them apart (me)
>create ebay adds (me)
>pack them all up (me)
>ship them all (me)
>deal with customers (me)
>accounting (me)

What's the best way I can employ someone to make some of my work, you know, go away?

Surely there is somewhere in the process where I can hand it to someone being paid $8/hour and that will free up my time to pursue the $30/hour work that I just throw away

But everytime I want to hire someone, I get cold feet. What if they steal my stuff? What do I actually trust them to do? What if I have them in charge of ebay adds and they list $50 units for $5? What if I put them in charge of packing and they don't pack properly and stuff is damaged in shipment?

etc
>>
>>1013352
Your business is a bit more sophisticated than massproducing burgers... can you hire a younger cousin or sibling in an assistant capacity, so you can peak over their shoulder and check their work till they are up to speed?
>>
>I have had my own business for several years.
You own a job*

Anyhow, if you want to hire someone look for someone with high intellect but no ambition and decent work ethic.
>>
>>1013376

I think that's a bit demeaning anon, it's a business.

>>1013371

No cousins no siblings
>>
>>1013397
>No cousins no siblings

You may do well with the other dude's advice then. Hire a smart slacker kid. He probably won't fuck up, and if you're chilled out and fun, he'll be cool with $8/hr part time.
>>
>>1013399

What uh, do you think I should put them on.

I was thinking packing the shit up? That's pretty simple right?

Problem is it's all really delicate and if it's not properly packed it breaks.

But I guess that's just training.
>>
>>1013414
Your business is tough... all of the functions are so enmeshed. Probably the least likely part to mess up is listing, and taking packed boxes to the post office. Maybe deal with customers too? You need a slacker office girl almost.
>>
>>1013352
None of those tasks sounds particularly hard. I know your the type that wants to do everything yourself, but unfortunately there's seemingly no way to count down on your amount of hours unless you hire someone and give them some of your responsibilities.
>>
>>1013419
Listing is probably the most difficult. Unless the parts are marked by OP before hand the grunt is going to end up listing a lot of stuff wrong.

I'd just hire some kid who is into electronics and wants to work somewhere other than McDonald's and have him work on disassembly. OP is selling so getting the ads right is the most important thing.

There are plenty of autistic recent high school grads interested in computers who would jump at an $8-9/ hour position. Just try to find the diligent losers that are too insecure to enter the workforce.
>>
>>1013352
Success requires trust.

Put an ad up and see if you can find someone with the skills you need.

Also pay them more than 8
>>
>>1013352
Hey OP. I've got 38 employees. I also run into a shit load of electronics and I have an employee that specifically just takes apart computers and electronics and shit. We scrap a lot of the old stuff. We have a great relationship with a local scrap yard that takes all metals, car batteries, a-pop ... anything you can think of.

Everything that is salvageable I give to a guy that runs our eBay / Craigslist / Amazon site. I just split all profits with him 50/50. He does all of the listing / customer service / shipping ... all problems. He just paypals me my cut once a month. He lists a lot more shit than just electronics though.

This is a small part of my business and I've managed to completely separate myself from the process to concentrate on my main business.

So, I guess I'd tell you to hire a college / high school kid that is smart and looking for a part time job. Is there a local religious college around you? Those kids are usually pretty dependable.
>>
>>1013376
>own a job

Why do you even post here.

OP. You don't want to trust a kid shipping. Listing isn't so bad. You should be able to find a way to review anything before it's published.
>>
OP, I just wanted to say you are a wagecuck even if you think you're self-employed.

The fact I'm a NEET has nothing to do with this and will not change this observation.
>>
>>1013599
Go back to /a/ and /jp/ you fucking weeb.
>>
>>1013505

Hey man,

So, your business is taking the bulk lots of e-waste and processing them right?

Now that is a nice business. everytime I have gotten e-waste I have done very well

Unfortunately most of that stuff where I live comes from town dumps and the e-waste is under contract already
>>
>>1013352
First you need to track , ideally for a few weeks , how much time you spend per task and what it brings to the table in the end.

That latter part maybe Igore on your scale but let's say it's 16 hours a week in packaging and shipping. Definitely a win to pay someone else to do it yeh? Even if it adds an hour a week to your time in inventory.

So first thing you need to get organized as far as where your time is actually going. Outsource the dumb shit so you can focus on what's really making the money
>>
Employers not knowing how to delegate is definitely a reason why some businesses fail. Delegating to the wrong person is why some other businesses fail.

You want a low-skilled worker who will do a good job? If only there was a way you could attract a quality worker that isn't the bottom of the barrel. Well, the one method you could use that every employer has used, would be to pay them more than $8 per hour. You're going to have to go $10, maybe $12, and the best place you could advertise is with the local community college with the IT kids that need a part time job to complement their school work. Then you're going to have to clearly state your expectations, train your employee properly, and be open to them asking questions or checking their work. You're going to have to learn to delegate as much as the kid is going to have to learn to do a good job. Promise a $1 raise if they end up doing an awesome job after X amount of time (no one gives $1 raises to pud jobs anymore). Be strict, fair, but a good boss, and you'll get a good worker. The hiring process can definitely be the most important part, so put time and effort into finding the right person, but you're going to have to pay $9 or $10 or so per hour at least.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.