[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anything illegal with going to thrift stores, taking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

Is there anything illegal with going to thrift stores, taking pictures of certain merchandise, advertising them on craigslist and ebay, then going back to the thrift store to buy said merchandise to resell to interested buyers for a profit? Is there a legal term for what I'm describing?
>>
>>1006088
What happens when it's gone by the time you get back?
>>
Why would it be illegal?

You just run the risk of promising an item and then when you go to get it from the thrift store, its been sold to someone else.
>>
i kinda wonder this myself.

if a store sells something really underpriced could i just simply buy it there and sell it on ebay or whatever?
>>
>>1006144
Yes. Many "vintage" stores like Ragstock are built on this practice.
They pay people to go around to thrift stores, buy in bulk and pay them a small finders fee.
>>
Nothing wrong with this. Its just business. but with a very shaky supply chain.
>>
>>1006144
This is what my mom does for a living, my childhood was spent either in thrift stores or a locked car in a parking lot and her house is filled with shit, including my room, I don't think I had a good youth.
>>
I go to good will and change the prices. The prices are usually written on with a washable (electronics), or stickered. Easy to replace.

The people who always check me out are fresh off the boat foreign, or disabled, so they don't care or notice. Especially if I go during peak times.

Good way to increase your margins.
>>
File: You.jpg (55KB, 464x274px) Image search: [Google]
You.jpg
55KB, 464x274px
>>1006144
>guys, is buying low and selling high profitable???
>>
>>1006180
i was talking more about the legality of it, not profitability
>>
>>1006088

Nope.

In fact thats actually not a bad business strategy at all.

TAKE IT AND RUN WITH IT OP
>>
I work at a pawn shop. If we find out you're doing this we'll shoot you and throw you in the dumpster
>>
>>1006196
3edgy7me
>>
>>1006088
I don't know about ebay, but you might be able to get away with it on CL. It's worth a shot but I doubt that you will sell anything.
>>
>>1006088

What if someone buys one of the products you advertised and 'sold' before you could go back and get it?
>>
>>1006238
we'll shoot you for shitty math too
>>
>>1006184
There is absolutely nothing illegal about. Once you buy an item, you can do whatever the fuck you want with it.

The better question is, can you turn a profit that's worth your time? Plenty of mouth breathers think they've stumbled on something amazing when they realize they can buy low and sell high, and don't realize that tying up all their money in stupid junk and spending three hours to make a ten dollar profit is less profitable than begging on a street corner.
>>
>>1006088
What you described is basically dropshipping
>>
>>1006444
>except you don't have a secure supply chain

It's not illegal AFAIK, but especially on eBay, you'll tank your seller rating pretty quickly if you consistently cancel transactions. Better to resell something you know the market for.
>>
>>1006447
>you'll tank your seller rating pretty quickly if you consistently cancel transactions

Yeah they give you like three strikes and then ban you lmao

OP needs to really make sure it's always in stock
>>
>>1006088
It's called retail espionage. It's perfectly legal. Hell, that's the entire premise of how recruiters make money, but instead of merchandise, it's people.
>>
>>1006456
Yeah, and it's such a meager cash investment to start reselling stuff like that. The time invested is what costs you.
>>
File: 1448723404174.jpg (73KB, 361x691px) Image search: [Google]
1448723404174.jpg
73KB, 361x691px
>>1006184
Why would it be illegal to sell a legal item you bought from a store with your own money? You sound like a fucking retard
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.