[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone here play guitar? Can you share any life-changing

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 111231.jpg (89KB, 446x445px) Image search: [Google]
111231.jpg
89KB, 446x445px
Does anyone here play guitar?

Can you share any life-changing tip that helped you learn faster? I might be considered an advanced-beginner, but I am having trouble sticking to it because I find learning guitar to be boring. To me it is basically feeling like just repeatedly tapping certain buttons over and over again until you can do it really fast, and the buttons make pretty sounds.

I've tried a one-on-one teacher who basically asked me what song I like, then listened to it on my iPod, worked out the chords in his head, and then wrote them down on paper. He then said practice this and play it next lesson. That cost me $50 per lesson.

I've also tried simply downloading tab and trying to work it out on my own, but this gets frustrating, because usually when I start to play it is after work, and my brain is tired and doesn't want to solve these puzzles.

There must be some kind of trick to increase the speed of learning.
>>
People don't become skilled at something complex like the guitar by using magic tricks or wishing they were better, it takes hours of work, practice, and dedication.

Seems to me like you want to be the cool guy guitar player that gets all the ladies but don't wanna front any of the work for it. You don't like playing guitar or making music, you like the idea of what being a guitarist would add to your persona.

My advice, sell the guitar and pick up a hobby that you enjoy, not one that you think will make you cool.
>>
>>745069205

There have been like ten beginning guitar threads on /b/ this week... what the fuck?
>>
Find a chord chart and learn the common major and minor and 7th chords. Get really comfortable switching between them. Learn major, minor and blues scales, and how to play them up and down the fretboard. Learning a lot of songs does help open up ways of playing you're not used to, so your teacher was making a good suggestion with that, but you shouldn't be paying someone for that info. In the end though, you either love it and stick with it, or you lose interest and move on to something else.
>>
>>745069486

I like the music, specifically fingerpicking. Here is an example of what I want to play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55NIOaBbg04

I just don't enjoy the learning process, and I was hoping I was thinking about it the wrong way. I couldn't give one fuck about some thot watching me play. It's for myself.
>>
>>745069693
Pretty sure that's being played with a pick.
>>
>>745069986

whatever, fingerpicking or this type of picking style
>>
Play what you love. 12 year old me was obsessed with Green Day, so I played along to entire albums regularly. You learn more if you ditch tabs and try to learn by ear; that way you will recognize patterns in the chords and progressions.
>>
>>745069205
Increase the speed of learning by understanding the elementary level of what you are trying to do.

Trying to improv? Learn your scales, chords, modes and why they relate. Then learn substitutions so you can make your playing sound more colorful. Use songs as reference and ask yourself why the person chose these specific notes and chords to make this sound happen.

But as with any artistry world this is going to require time. A LOT of time.
>>
>>745070345

thanks - so the clear consensus seems to be that i should learn and become comfortable with the chords and progressions first. i didnt do that in the past, so ill try that now
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.