[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the single greatest attack on humankind (the USA dropping

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 13

File: IMG_1823.jpg (588KB, 1024x691px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1823.jpg
588KB, 1024x691px
Was the single greatest attack on humankind (the USA dropping two atomic bombs on Japan) a necessity?
>>
Probably not. Who cares? It happened.
>>
>>738300939
Was Pearl Harbor and the rape of Nanking a necessity?

War is hell.
>>
>>738300939
No one can answer that, but the Japanese weren't going to stop. That was clear.
>>
>>738301290

I can answer that.

Yes.

The destruction and death caused by a land invasion of Japan would have been like nothing the world had ever seen. Japanese were continually proving they had no intention to surrender, with soldiers choosing to charge and die instead. It was nukes or near armageddon on the japanese mainland.
>>
>>738300939
Absolutely, something had to keep those gook fucks in line
>>
Of course not
>>
>>738300939

No, not at all. The US military wanted to see what their new weapon could do. Inexcusable carcage. An horrific crime.
>>
This casualties of nuking Japan would have been less compared to a full out invasion
>>
>>738303568

Yes, has anyone calculated the number of Japanese lives were saved by dropping the nukes?
>>
The deaths of 200k.

Or

A devastating invasion that would have costed hundereds of thousands on both sides and would have likely caused the split of Japan (as the soviets would have invaded in the north) Creating a split japan that best case would end up with an East/West Germany and eventually would be reunited but leave one half devistantigly underdeveloped compared to the other. Worst case leave it like North/South Korea.

Id say the bombings, while horrible, were worth it.
>>
>>738300939
>Was the single greatest attack on humankind (the USA dropping two atomic bombs on Japan) a necessity?

Nuking those psycho fucks probably saved ten million Japanese lives.

Because the safest way to take out japan was to make them into hell on Earth, namely, embargo them, burn every crop, burn every source of water, kill all the electricity, and wait a year.

Go in, bulldoze the corpses.

Compared to that, the nukes were pure mercy.
>>
>>738303648
Looking at them now it looks like they need a third
>>
>>738300939
Yes. Because those Japs deserved it.

Look at how they normaled out now.
>>
>>738300939
The "it saved countless lives" argument is bullshit. We killed 200k CIVILIANS. Men, women and children. It was the single worst crime against humanity ever committed and any arguments that attempt to justify it are self-serving denial.
>>
File: 1498181264382.jpg (111KB, 1080x644px) Image search: [Google]
1498181264382.jpg
111KB, 1080x644px
>>738303731
Never thought of that scenario
>>
>>738300939
Could have swore that said the Asian sunburn under the Getty images logo
>>
It was because the japs were going carry out operation cherry petals at night (or some thing like that) which was going to be biological warfare on the USA and would have most likely killed millions of citizens
>>
>>738303997

Japan had no non-combatants. They had school kids building balloons for dropping incendiary bombs onto the mainland
>>
>>738303997
Shut the fuck up retard. Over a million died in the fire bombing campaign. 200k isn't shit.
>>
>>738303997
It must be nice living in your simplistic world.
>>
>>738304017
Thinking never has been your strong suit.
>>
>>738303731
>thinking soviet would invade Japan
>thinking the nuclear bombings ended the war

How about actually reading a bit of history?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrender_of_Japan
>>
They could've just killed the people who did it or the leaders
>>
>>738304934
Top fucking kek, you idiot.

The Japanese War Minster wanted to continue fighting even after both bombers, however he was overruled by the emperor himself because as he stated "The enemy, for the first time, has used Cruel Bombs" had they not ben used its likely the US would have been forced to invade.
>>
>>738300939
Yes, no, maybe so, I don't motherfucking know, but to be honest, I don't care, the U.S. drops bombs everywhere
>>
>>738302344
Interesting point. I've always heard that from the perspective of American generals where they want to stop American deaths but looking at it like this I guess you could also say it was sort of "good" for the Japs since it was either nuke the 2 cities or kill off the entire population.
>>
Up until the nukes dropped, Hiroshima and Nagasaki fared better than other cities, because they wanted the cities to be in decent shape before they dropped the nukes, to avoid claims that nuke damage was actually from prior bombings
>>
The deaths of the civilians due to the atomic bombings was rather unfortunate, but had the U.S. opted for a land invasion, millions more would have died, likely by suicide, as many Japanese civilians had been spoonfed bullshit by their government of the "horrors" that U.S. troops would inflict on them if they surrendered, and had been instructed instead to kill themselves and their children. These millions of deaths, coupled with the military deaths on both sides, would have far outweighed the roughly 200k deaths attributed to the droppings of the atomic bombs. Do I think that the atomic bombings were okay? No, of course I don't, nobody in their right mind should think that the killing of even one innocent life is okay. Do I believe that the atomic bombings were necessary to end the war in the Pacific theatre? Yes, I do.
>>
>>738306436

Japan was trying for the "poison pill" defense. They were hoping to make the land invasion so deadly for American casualties that the USA would instead agree to a draw
>>
>>738303447
Ayyyyye horrific crime
>>
>>738300939
no. they were working on their own device.
>>
>>738300939
yes.
>>
File: weirdjapan25.jpg (62KB, 580x434px) Image search: [Google]
weirdjapan25.jpg
62KB, 580x434px
>>738300939

Of course it was necessary. Without that radiation we wouldn't have anime, hentai, Godzilla, or any of the other bizarre shit that makes life so much fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmYVfyqzu4Y
>>
>>738307938

still trying to build their own bomb after Nagasaki
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2009/12/113_56715.html
>>
>>738302344
This
>>
>>738303997
By the time the bombs were dropped, there were no civilians. They had ample time to leave, but they didn't.
>>
>>738300939
>Was the single greatest attack on humankind (CNN's derogatory comments about Trump) a necessity?

ftfy
>>
>>738302344
This... The Japanese would have been utterly destroyed if we hadn't done it... Now they're just (non)breeding themselves out of existence.

Seriously. Look it up. They've passed the point of no return on their replacement rate. They won't exist in a couple generations.
>>
File: leap_day.jpg (27KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
leap_day.jpg
27KB, 400x225px
>>738300939
Probably not, but it sure was fun
>>
>>738300939
>humankind
>Japanese

pick one
>>
>>738306186
what kinda bullshit is this? did you name this fucker when it fell out your ass?
>>
>>738309050

"For 12 months prior to the nuclear attack, Nagasaki had experienced five small-scale air attacks by an aggregate of 136 U.S. planes ... While the damage from these few bombs was relatively small, it created considerable concern in Nagasaki and a number of people, principally school children, were evacuated to rural areas for safety, thus reducing the population in the city at the time of the atomic attack.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagasaki
>>
>>738302344
>>738300939
This, I know a few WW2 vets and all of them believe that there was absolutely no other option.
I knew a guy who was a marine on Okinawa and he told me the lengths that the Japanese went to to defend that island, I can only imagine what they would have done to protect mainland Japan.
>>
>>738300939
Wasn't necessary. All generals were against the bomb. Japan was ready to surrender, they couldn't keep fighting. It was just a show of force.
>>
>>738310157

They were still conspiring to prevent the Emperor from announcing their actual surrender. Still trying to build their own bomb including getting Germany to send them tech and supplies for it. Still trying to build jet airplanes, which they could use to payload the bombs.
>>
>>738303447
carcage?
>>
>>738308654
Seems doubtful all they have to do it is push back the birth rate over 2 per couple and they'll be safe again
>>
>>738310398
thats bs
they were trying to form an alliance with russia to help them get better terms on their surrender. when russia said no and declared war the japs surrendered.
>>
>>738303447
Carcage is isnt never excusable
>>
>>738302344
thats media bs
there was never a need to invade
a blockade and daily bombing would have had the same outcome, and the japs were ready to surrender anyway
>>
Retarded nips had grown up their whole lives under the belief their emperor was a god and they were the highest culture that ever existed. When america started taking the island chains leading up to Japan, many of the citizens committed suicide out of fear and the belief that america was the devil.
>>
>>738300939
>Was the single greatest attack on humankind (the USA dropping two atomic bombs on Japan) a necessity?

>Humankind

>Nips

Try again. 1 billion slants getting burned to a crisp in a nuclear inferno would be a lesser crime than the accidental death of a single white child.
>>
File: 85ea24ff84a27fa1ffe330664a30d052.jpg (131KB, 1000x482px) Image search: [Google]
85ea24ff84a27fa1ffe330664a30d052.jpg
131KB, 1000x482px
>>738310547
>>
>>738311392
18 years old are still adults
>>
Everything happens for a reason
>>
No it was not necessery. Military documents of that time only spoke of needing a demonstration to scare the russians. In the documents released by the military to congress the invasion death toll was used to secure the use of the weapon.
>>
>>738310547
They've passed the tipping point. Even if everyone tried to start cranking out kids, they'll still be extinct as a culture... Not that that's really a bad thing.
>>
>>738303997
You can always tell which are the young anons by the ridiculous and ignorant things they choose to say.
>>
>>738311851
As a chinese this makes me very happy
>>
>>738300939
Misconception. Atomic blasts a Hiroshima and Nagasaki cost fewer lives that the firebombing raids of Tokyo (100,000 civilian deaths) by conventional means. Fewer than the firebombing of German cities. An estimated 200,000. in Dresden, 42,600 civilians and wounding 37,000 in Hamburg, Germany, etc. Anyone who says it was unnecessary is not a student of history, and anyone calling it a crime against humanity is full of shit. You fight war all out or you lose.
>>
File: 170px-PurpleHeartCase.jpg (10KB, 170x255px) Image search: [Google]
170px-PurpleHeartCase.jpg
10KB, 170x255px
Every single purple heart that has been awarded since World War II was made in the summer of 1945, in preparation for the planned invasion of Japan, because U.S. military planners anticipated U.S. casualties of over one million. The majority of these would have been draftees.

They still have hundreds of thousands of those medals left, after Korea, Vietnam, Iraq 1 & 2, etc.
>>
>>738311851

A mass migration of US beta males is needed.
>>
>>738312768
Betas do like their Asian girls...
>>
>>738311756
You watched the same bullshit propaganda everyone else did. Do you get all your opinions from the TV?
>>
Good Japanese is Japanese dead, kill a Japanese today.
>>
>>738303747
>mfw you burn the water away
>>
>>738311588
aging population means there are more 60 year olds than 18 year olds
>>
>>738311035
Daily bombing would have been worse. The firebombing killed more people than atomic bombs.

Also it would have caused mass homelessness and famine, and immense greater suffering, while drawing out the conflict because the military could keep going by keeping food resources from civvies.
>>
>>738308654
>>738311851

>Implying the most technologically innovative country on Earth won't simply go down the path of Brave New World.
>>
>>738311035

A blockade of japan and daily bombing? We are talking YEARS and a destruction from conventional bombing many times greater. Firebombing was already greater.

Maybe you don't understand what US forces encountered during their island-hopping campaign that made them realize an extreme solution like atomic bombs was necessary. Japs were NOT going to surrender. You don't even know how close the recording of the emperor came to never being heard do you?
>>
>>738303758
kek
>>
>>738312650
This. The US military knew from 4 years of war that the Japanese would not stop.

I get the feeling many people here do not understand Japanese culture, especially pre-war culture. This was not some open culture that easily accepted new things. Their Emperor was next to a god, and the first time the normal population heard his voice was when he surrendered, against the wishes of his military.

This is a people that would have thought nothing about sending children and old men into certain death to achieve an honorable end.

I listen to people now talk about how the bombings were not justified and it sickens me. I got to interview some WW2 veterans when I was in high school in the 90's. I asked something similar to this. All of them were thankful for the bomb. My grandmother dated a former POW of the Japanese, he was her square dancing partner. he calmly described his friends dieing and was convinced. He said the greatest threat to the Japanese was not death but loss of face, they would do anything to avoid the APPEARANCE of failure.
>>
Consider this:
No bombs dropped, no public revulsion.
Government are free to 'give it a go'. Public with nothing to gauge nukes by shrug "whatever".
Governments push the big button in, say 1975.
Bigger nukes, lots more of 'em.
World is toast.
>>
File: heads.png (365KB, 793x484px) Image search: [Google]
heads.png
365KB, 793x484px
>>738300939
Absolutely. The Japanese were war criminals of the worst kind, up there with Stalin and Mao in the number of humans they slaughtered. They were worse than Hitler. They needed to be STOPPED.

The fact that they did not immediately sue for peace after Hiroshima was bombed meant that Nagasaki was necessary. The U.S. should have bombed Tokyo.

How many died in Hiroshima and Nagasaki? 300,000? The Japanese killed that many in ONE Chinese city. Beheading contests, bayonetting babies...

The Japanese should stop whining about it. They started a war, they shouldn't be shocked when someone decided to end it.

Pic related: Nanking.
>>
>>738316562

It's not a question of deserving it so much as what an invasion would have meant.

And again, no, blockading would NOT have worked. Who the fuck even came up with that theory?
>>
>>738303312
God was smiling on that plane that day
>>
>>738300939
Yes. Stop second-guessing the past.
>>
>>738301290
>the Japanese weren't going to stop
Do they not have history classes in the US?
>>
>>738300939
>argument about saving the lives of soldiers that would've died invading japan
>>
>>738303997
fuck off you fat weeaboo who gives a shit about crap that happened in the past does it affect you?
>>
>>738300939
No it wasnt. The US just keeps telling that to divert from the fact that they comitted a massive warcrime.

Japan did not surrender because of the nukes.
It was just coincidence. The bombing raids prior to that were not less damaging. Also they did not surrender after the first bomb.

The real reason japan surrendered was that on the 9th of August '45 the Soviet Union declared war on Japan and started an invasion.
With the soviets as a 2nd enemy there was no chance to win the war.
It was very clear back then that the Soviets had no fear whatsoever to sacrifice millions and millions of men on their way to voctory. Japan rightly concluded that they could enver defend against such an invasion.

Like before in Europe it was again the Soviets that won the war and not the US or the Allies.
>>
>>738300939
Attack on stalingrad killed over 8 times as many people.
>>
>>738303997
They airdropped many warning into the cities to let Civilians know to evacuate, that there would be an immense bomb dropped, but noone believed the warnings.
>>
File: 1472868618595.jpg (54KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1472868618595.jpg
54KB, 480x360px
Yes, it was necessary, and here's why:
It took TWO of them to slap some sense into those king-weebs.
>>
>>738300939
Yes.
The Japanese were fanatical. Dropping the bomb cowed them and allowed the US to avoid a costly ground war. They slaughtered thousands to prevent having to slaughter millions. It wasn't nice and the US fought on the wrong side, but that's war and politics for you.
>>
It wasn;t just about stopping japan in it's tracks.
It was about letting the entire world know the level war had reached.
Notice there hasn;t been a full scale direct war between developed nations since? Think that's a coincidence?
If some jackass middle-easter, african, or south american countries fuck around it's not really a huge deal, but a full blown war between say, the US and Russia would likely result in the extinction, or close to, of the human race. The show of force the bombs was drew the line in teh sand.
It was absolutely necessary, and probably the single greatest act in the name of peace ever made.
Do I wish it happened somewhere other than japan? yup. The japs are pretty cool people, with alot to contribute to the world, if I picked a spot, it would be mecca at a specific time of year.
Regardless, if you're a teenager and really like katanas, I get you're mad, but you're just categorically wrong if you don;t get the necessity of the bombs.
>>
>>738318147
This
>>
The first one, no. The second one, abso-fuckin-lutley. They should've surrendered after the first one.
>>
File: 1495932901463.jpg (196KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1495932901463.jpg
196KB, 600x600px
>>738318444
MAD forcing great powers to dance around each other and do proxy wars is a post-WWII development. Remember that in the Korean War, which happened fairly soon after WWII, America outright threatened to nuke the gooks.
Still, the overall point is an accurate one.
>>
>>738300939
We told them to surrender and they said no
>>
>>738318147
>America controls all of Japan's southeast colonies is and ready to turn Tokyo into dust
>b-but it was the Soviets I promise
Commieboo pls, also come cry to me about Dresden and I'll care about your war crime kvetching.
>>
>>738312650
That's correct on what the US Military's expected in casualties
Also the Japanese where requisitioning every available aircraft or boat to be used as Kamikaze's against the invasion fleet
The US casualty rate could have been well above 1 million considering the way the Japanese defended small unimportant islands
The Japanese casualty rate would have been in the tens of millions
But in the end the Japanese surrendered not because of the A bomb but because of the Soviet Invasion of China
>>
>>738300939
depends, how much of a clusterfuck would had been invading japan? how many more cities would had gotten blown up by regular bombs, etc.
>>
fun fact: neil armstrong wasnt the 1st man on the moon. the 1st was yuri takesha, a gardener from hiroshima who was standing near wear the bomb detonated.
>>
>>738319160
see >>738316008 and >>738319076. America had to find a way to crush the Japanese spirit without sacrificing millions of lives and that way was to nuke major cities progressively closer to the capital. After Nagasaki would have been Tokyo and a dead Emperor so the Japanese capitulated.
>>
Imperial Japanese were imo the worst people who have ever lived in planet earth

the scale of the inhuman horrors they unleashed on china and korea, not even the nazis or the soviets just went around brutally raping and killing every single person they saw. The japs did. they acted like vikings though 2000 years removed, still acting like almost prehistoric people.
>>
>>738316008
>He said the greatest threat to the Japanese was not death but loss of face, they would do anything to avoid the APPEARANCE of failure.

BS, the Japanese knew they would lose the war from the start, they weren't suicidal samurais and their populace weren't braindead imperial fanatics. It's true the government didn't want the appearance of failure but the same could be said of all governments which need the confidence of their people (precisely because the people weren't braindead imperial fanatics and there was a serious danger that the starving Japanese would turn on their government like the Russians did in WWI). All the Japanese Imperialists wanted was for someone to throw them one or two concessions (which they basically got anyway) and that would've been it, Operation Downfall and the bombs would've BOTH been unnecessary. Of course it's all just opinion when it didn't happen like that.
>>
>>738319255
Kekd
>>
>>738319507
>not even the nazis or the soviets just went around brutally raping and killing every single person they saw
You would be surprised what Soviet propagandists managed to pin on the Nazis. In light of that I'm inclined to believe that the KMT and the Koreans weren't entirely honest about the nature of Japanese occupation.
>>
>>738319818
glad you liked, most times everyone just gets autistic and cries about the reality impossibility
>>
>>738300939
9/11 coz it killed the most Americans
>>
>>738319255
>standing half smile above the surface of the earth
Do you have Down syndrome ?
>>
>>738320147
maybe but ill take it over your autism any day
>>
Why does nobody talk about the after effects of the nukes?
>>
>>738320147
He probably means the hypocenter, you pedantic fuck. It's also a joke.
>>
Bataan death march.... fuck you op.
>>
File: received_1912025519056226.jpg (30KB, 612x594px) Image search: [Google]
received_1912025519056226.jpg
30KB, 612x594px
Quit being a commie bitch
>>
>>738300939
it was necessary for usa to get the win over japan.
otherwise the udssr would invade before america could have a chance in japan. it was just to be faster than the russians
>>
>>738300939
Donald Trump as the US president, worst than Hittler and his nazi possy
>>
>>738306186
Wtf......I can't recall which way round, but one of the two cities was actually a secondary target...go online and watch the world at war
>>
>>738313537
Underrated post
>>
>>738320621
Fuck man I wish he were more hardcore than Hitler. We need to get a journalist genocide going.
>>
>>738319828
there is proof of what they did
>>
>>738311851

>Not that that's really a bad thing.

jew detected.

As a matter of fact the Japanese won't be extinct for a long time coming, you see a reduction in the number of living phenotypes (i.e. population) doesn't impact the genepool of that race.

If all Japanese 20 year olds right now were to pair off and have a little more than 2 kids each, Japan would continue without a problem.

>inb4 but there's only 30 mn 20-30 year olds in Japan

..bears no weight on this argument. As long as there are even just 10,000 fertile Japanese that race will continue.
>>
>>738318444
>It was about letting the entire world know the level war had reached.
>Notice there hasn;t been a full scale direct war between developed nations since? Think that's a coincidence?

Nukes have helped to end major wars in the same sense that chemical weapons have helped to end popular revolution. It's a myth, a dangerous myth, that the big red button is the "I Win" button because one or two or even four nukes isn't enough to decide a war.

It's true that war between major powers is now impossible, but the myth of the "I Win" bomb has backfired and helped to turn poor and unstable countries like N. Korea and 1960's Cuba into serious dangers and that's before you even get into loose nukes. People like you shouldn't pretend that nukes are useful for anything except global suicide because as weapons of war singular nukes are as useful as cyanide pills, they are not "I Win" bombs.
>>
There was necessity from the bombing, but there was also great risk in doing so. Anything that could happen, would happen. The US was prepared for any thing that could go wrong, but they weren't prepared for is Japan devolving into an anime based country with no sense of self respect or pride in one's country.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.