[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I produce music and I want to become successful Any ideas or advice?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

File: circle2.png (167KB, 500x457px) Image search: [Google]
circle2.png
167KB, 500x457px
I produce music and I want to become successful

Any ideas or advice?
>>
>>736745215
Sleep your way to the top
>>
>>736745266
/thread
>>
Write good music, and enjoy the process. Don't worry about success, that's mostly luck anyway.
>>
>>736745215
Link something you've produced.

Different types of music requires different marketing / publicity techniques
>>
>>736745215
>luck
Unsuccessful fag detected.
Op learn to deep throat.
>>
>asking /b/ how to be successful
>>
shit in your hands and rub it on your chest
>>
>>736745392
What type of project you want to hear?
>>
>>736745333
Checked and good advice honestly
>>
>>736745215
stop being a fag
>>
>>736745215
don't just say you listen to a lot of music. actually do it. of all kinds. work hard and don't try too hard to impress anyone, make what you know sounds good and someone will connect with it. stay dedicated.
>>
>>736745676
just post something you're really proud of
>>
>>736746194
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0CXoAAgJD5v
>>
>>736747019
You're not hitting the string bends up to pitch all the time. And the tune's kinda boring. And your guitar tone is awful.

It takes more than a two-bar progression and some amateurish pentatonic noodling to be a good musician. Come back in five years.
>>
File: 1428964723388.jpg (12KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
1428964723388.jpg
12KB, 261x195px
>>736747019
I'm not the guy you've been talking to but:

It's obvious you're just experimenting. There's no depth to the sound, it's like you pressed play on one of those old synths that have prebuilt bass lines and started jamming.
>>
>>736747019
you should really follow this advice
>>736745567
>>
>>736747322
5 years? That's a long time to practice but I'm sure I'll be better by then

>>736747373
Definitely experimenting, I'm just trying to figure sounds out
>>
>>736747659
Audibly kekd
>>
>>736747322
Not if you're writing a pop tune. No need to be so elitist.
>>
>>736747687
It's going to take you at least five years to get anywhere near good. Hate to tell you but you're below average right now. You need to do a lot more learning before you'll get anywhere, there's literally thousands of musicians who are ten times better than you who still can't get any success in the music business.
>>
>>736747820
Want to hear some gay psychosis pop?
>>
>>736747947
dunno, is it very gay or just slightly gay?
>>
>>736747935
How do you know I was playing guitar on that track?
>>
>>736747687
I'm not saying experimenting is bad. Talking about music and especially what makes music good is tough, but if I had to give advice I think what you should do is try to break up a song into parts. Hate me all you want for it but listen to CMYK from James Blake. Then listen again to it but try to pick out the subtle details.
Try to find artists of the genre you like who produce good music and try to break up their songs into what makes them good. Try to get a feeling for what the basis is and work on getting small steps, it's frustrating as fuck because you will feel like you are getting better but it actually sounds worse than ever before until you _really_ get it.
The other anon wasn't joking when he said 5 years, it's mostly even longer than that. (Unless you want to write some shitty pop song)
>>
>>736747995
It's very gay. It's suppose to leave a mark in your subconscious mind until you die. You'll crave dick the next day
>>
>>736745333
listen to advice trips
>>
>>736748006
Good advice and honestly I'm constantly trying to figure out how to expand my ideas so it's not always verse chorus verse chorus because that pop structure gets old and only works for painting rough drafts for the real idea to form from
>>
>>736747019
Got another
>>
>>736745215
spam your shit on the internet so you become the number one link on google
>>
>>736745215
>I produce music
>I want to become successful
Keep dreaming
>>
>>736748677
Learn concept of scales, learn concept of chord progression. These two will give you a better start.

Until you just understand how to connect all the basic theory of music (even though listening tells you everything, understanding how to put it together will give you a better flow in your song writing process) then things will click better.

After that, you get to choose what you want to expand on. Do you just want to write and not necessarily be great at your instrument? I've seen a lot of producers that can write but can't play.

If you want to take a real challenge, learn how to be a solo pianist but good luck cause the road to that is what I'm currently taking and it's no, simple 1-4-5 3 note chord progression.
>>
>>736745215
Yeah, quit music and do some actual fuckin work.
>>
>>736748677
>>736750142

to add on to this..

knowing structure is one thing but that's not even scratching the surface of good composition.

Don't skip the foot soldier work, unless you are a genius.
>>
>>736750232

Music definitely more brain work than a lot of 9 to 5s but hey some people don't have a brain so they have to resort to 9 to 5s.
>>
>>736748071
>implying i already don't
kek
>>
>>736745215

Don't, just have fun.
If you produce music then keep producing it, someone will notice it eventually.
>>
>>736750988
HAHAHAH sure
>>
>>736745215
Thanks op, thats a good circle of 5ths. Been meaning to memorize that for awhile.
>>
>>736745215
choose a different hobby
>>
>>736750515
I do both you fuckin pleb. There's no money in music for mediocrity. Been at it for 5 years and I've learned it's more of a hobby and not a way to become successful.
>>
>>736751329
What is the point of the circle of 5ths anyway?
>>
>>736751645
Would you say that to Jimi Hendrix?
John Lennon?
Jimmy Page?
Kurt Cobain?
George Martin?
Eric Clapton?
Bob Dylan?
Bill Withers?
Neil Young?
>>
>>736745392
>>736747373
>>736747659
>>736750142
Is this a decent track?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0a62rvmBo95
>>
>>736752116
Ooohhhhh cause you're just as talented as them?? Get over yourself you fuckin fag. You know how you can tell you suck at music? Cause ur asking /b/tards for advice!
>>
>>736752116
now, would you NOT say that to every other million of musicians out there who aren't making shit out of music?
>>
>>736745215
Get yourself interested and involved in other people.

Produce/master other people's recordings (ie offer to take their stuff and make it sound good for cheap at start); you'll find out what other peoples methods are, and have a much deeper understanding of what sound is. Make sure to not step on their toes "I think you were going for this, so I just removed clutter".

Promotoe other people's work.

Develope strong curiosity to things outside of strickly music, and then translate it to music.

If you've gotten a decent list of people you help master stuff down, try and organize a get together or a jam session with the intent of forming a mutually benifitial local org that puts out occasional comilations, zines, concerts and the like.

Do those things and you'll probably develope a following

Also, dont limit yourself to just makin songs, check out foley stuff, live audio production stuff, indie game music/sounds/et cetera. One o those may also bite.
>>
>>736752040
It's how you figure out what key you are playing in. For example, you're (usually) in the key of A major if the key signature has 3 sharps. If it had 3 flats, then you would (usually) be in E flat major. I say usually becuse you could also be in the corresponding minor keys.
>>
>>736752502
No, why would I not say that to millions of specific individuals when then don't know the context of the situation because of an argument on /b/ that's just ridiculous.
>>
>>736752116
All of those spent a fair amount slumming it so to speak.

All the musicians I know that make money o of sound are really sound engineers that put out their own work now and again
>>
Ive been practicing non stop to a point of burning out, but I want to practice 5-6 hours a day because I currently have no job and for the time being all im trying to do is GIT GUD, however I BURN OUT, I can't fucking take it anymore, enthusiasm runs away, bordem sets in due to lack of reward (playing overwatch and winning matches feels more rewarding then playing the same fucking chords to drill them into your head)....

my question is, how do you avoid burning out, I just want to wake up and put in the 8-10 hours of sheet practice and composition yet I can only do that 2-3 times a week however with video games I can do that 7 times a week... it fucking iratates the fuck out of me
>>
>>736753069
Put the work in and get results

Be creative. It's about using simple chords to make something new in terms of sound. You don't have to be a technical expert to make catchy, meaningful music
>>
>>736753069
Dump the sheet music and just learn all the songs you like.
>>
>>736753197
thats not my point i get bored and lose enthusiasm and passion in general with making music, I want to know how I can avoid that, also i did nothing but sound design for the last 3 years the final piece of the puzzle is knowing how music theory works and proficient at playing the midi keyboard, yet I honestly fucking absoutly hate it, I love sound design and composing but playing an instrument is one of the most boring things you can ever ask for, its like watching an awesome movie (sound design) and playing an instrument is like reading some boring ass novel with TL;DR SHIT in it that you want to just say FUCK THIS SHIT
>>
>>736753407
Case or Ableton?
>>
>>736745215
Start by explaining this chart to me.
>>
>>736753877
fuck both of em and their shit UI (lol microsoft excel)

FL STUDIO MASTER RACE
>>
>>736754337
Nah man, bitwig is where it's at
>>
>>736754274
not op but it's literally just what musical keys can work with each other in the same song without much effort
>>
>>736754337
>sound design
>fl studio

Choose one.

You're sampling mate
>>
>>736754274
You like females? Choose the F
If you move a space down (you can only choose a letter that's touching your chosen letter) you get Dm, which is a dickmassage. So just use the chart to do gods work
>>
Try reaper, much cheaper and more flexible than fl
>>
>>736754274
Playing in key of F?
Is she a Bitch? B
Or a cunt? C
Are you getting a Dm? DickMassage
>>
>>736754789
Aye, but which work with which? I know C works with Am, but can I pick out a triangle like you can with a colour wheel? E also sounds good followed by Am but the wheel doesn't seem to show this obviously.
>>
>>736754274
Do you like Dick? D
Then you get a Bm. Bottom-male.
Or an A to eat. Ass.
Or choose G. Because you're Gay.
>>
>>736755159
Writing a song in C? You must be a Chad. That means you're either an Ass-magnet. Am
A Faggot. F
Or a Goose stuck in an endless ride of consciousness that never ends. G
>>
sometimes you just gotta b sharp.
>>
File: 8be.jpg (14KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
8be.jpg
14KB, 251x242px
>>736754863
The most retarded shit ive heard all day
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.