[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do we have consciousness?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 5

File: yhh.jpg (2MB, 1920x1918px) Image search: [Google]
yhh.jpg
2MB, 1920x1918px
Why do we have consciousness?
>>
>>735842860
Why do we have hands?

>it was useful
>>
>>735842979
/thread
>>
>>735842979
But would not being conscious be useless? If we wasn't conscious, we wouldn't even know what consciousness is.

Fact: We don't know exactly what consciousness is. So what does that say?
>>
>>735843208
Nigger detected. "if we wasn't conscious"
>>
>>735843309
I'm hugh enough to be a nigger tbh
>>
>>735843208
>But would not being conscious be useless?
It would be useless in the sense that the ones who have it are more adapted to survive.
>If we wasn't conscious, we wouldn't even know what consciousness is.
Sooo?
>We don't know exactly what consciousness is
How about the ability to work with complex abstractions? I'm not a psychologist so I don't know the exact definition.
Also just want to inform you that asking why we have something which you haven't defined is misleading.
>>
File: matrix_pepe.gif (607KB, 800x792px) Image search: [Google]
matrix_pepe.gif
607KB, 800x792px
>>735842860
I think it's a natural consequence of a sophisticated brain developed through billions of years of evolution.
While sophistication does not necessarily guarantee consciousness (at least I don't think so), it's a huge component, along with a survival instinct and sociality.
All mammals have basic emotions like fear, anger, and contentedness, but you see a trend toward more subtle expressions of consciousness in more intelligent species.
For instance, a dog can be excited when he's around you, lonely when you're gone, but it's only really smart animals like dolphins, chimps, and humans do you see the complicated stuff like being able recognize your reflection and introspect on this.

So really it's better to think of consciousness on a spectrum from dead and inert matter to us and beyond.
>>
Consciousness is likely a form of energy that like exists within all living organisms. Upon the death of an organism it's divided amongst new organisms much like other forms of energy. Even the most simple single cell organisms are likely conscious. This isn't to that they are intelligent or sentient. Those functions are a symptom of higher brain function. Conscious is more like gravity in the sense that we know it's there but we don't understand how or why it exists.
>>
>>735842860
Cuz God was lonely and wanted dem lulz
>>
>>735844491
If that's the case, then the first organism was "the most conscious" since he got all the consciousness energy.
>>
>>735844874
>assuming Earth is the only planet in the universe with life

Jesus man. Come on.
>>
File: really.jpg (61KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
61KB, 306x306px
>>735844874
Fortunately that's not the case. The guy probably believes in the flat earth too.
>>
>>735844952
Who said I meant first organism on earth?
I said first organism, so I meant first organism.

>>735844975
I know, right?
>>
>>735844874
>>735844952

Shit sorry, misread that, thought you meant first organism on Earth. Yeh it's a good point. Though it's likely that life emerged in multiple parts of the universe at the exact same time. Statistically that would be most probable, considering the sheer size of it. Also that's not really how energy works.
>>
>>735845196
You said the energy divides among the surviving organisms when one organism dies, so am I to assume there was just a massive free-floating pool of "consciousness" before there was any life?
>>
>>735844975
Why would that mean that? Either way neither of us have an answer. You arguing that your explanation is more likely than mine would be silly. We're both equally guessing at this point.
>>
>>735845352
All the energy in the universe at one point was condensed into an area smaller than a pin head. It's not crazy to speculate that something similar happened with consciousness.
>>
>>735842860
Because information is viral. We pass information more quickly with body autonomy.
>>
>>735845354
Nice use of religious rhetoric right there.
>>
The study of consciousness would move our evolution in good ways.
>>
>>735845536
Yes, but what leads you to believe that consciousness is a form of energy?

If you're wondering what my stance on the matter is, >>735844065
>>
>>735842860
To be aware of dubs, trips, and quads.
>>
>>735844065
Sophistication does guarantee consiousness. We were on that road when we started reacting to pain.
>>
>>735845807
I bet that motherfucker doesn't even know the definition of energy. He probably imagines it like a glowing light or something.
>>
>>735842860
So we can know to kill ourselves
>>
>>735845738
I see your point, just saying that there is zero scientific evidence behind any theory of consciousness, it's just a though I'm sharing. I'm not religious and I to hate their rhetoric, relax.

>>735845807
Just seems like a very viable scientific explanation for it, seeing as all organisms are made of various forms of energy, perhaps consciousness is one of them.
>>
>>735845961
Why so butt hurt? I have a degree in the field of Biology, I'm no accomplished scientist but I have a firm grasp on the concepts. No need to be so aggressive with challenging opinions. The other anon here isn't berating me, he's asking questions, like you should.
>>
>>735842860
We dont, its all an illusion created by the zionist/freemasons.
>>
>>735845909
Not really.
A massive computer network is very complex, but by no means does that result in consciousness.
I think your response gives a hint at part of it: self-directed goals.
You shy away from pain because your instincts tell you pain is a prelude to death, which you want to avoid at all costs.
>>
>>735842860
helps us outsmart prey
>>
>>735845352
Yes. It was the untapped forces of evolution, or change. Consiousness is really just dealing with change.
>>
>>735846084
I see you're a civilized person. Won't argue with you anymore but learn what energy is so you don't embarrass yourself with buzzwords.
From Brittanica: "Energy, in physics, the capacity for doing work. It may exist in potential, kinetic, thermal, electrical, chemical, nuclear, or other various forms. There are, moreover, heat and work—i.e., energy in the process of transfer from one body to another."
We are not "made"of energy since energy is not a thing, it's a property of things.
>>
>>735846392
By that logic, ice changing state from solid to liquid is conscious, because it's reacting to a change in temperature.
>>
>>735845352
>so am I to assume there was just a massive free-floating pool of "consciousness" before there was any life?
what the fucking hell are you talking about?
>>
>>735844065
never heard that 1 b4

r u by chance from a jewish family?
>>
>>735846603
That's what I was asking him.
As a rule, energy is blind and dumb, I don't see why consciousness would be a form of energy.
>>
Emergent proprety of our complex biological system. Consciousness is experienced by all living things in some form. Who are we to know what a dog really thinks? How can we be sure that atoms don't experience some kind of consciousness, even if that's essentially "PAIR ELECTRONS GOOOOOD"?
>>
>>735846677
No, I'm Hispanic if you give a shit about that sort of thing.
>>
>>735842860
so we can rate each other's dicks
>>
>>735846506
Agreed, but this isn't a scientific paper we're writing here. I'm just expressing it in a manner that is easily read and relatable. Also I don't think my incorrect usage of the term energy detracts at all from the concept I'm sharing, I'm sure you understand the point I'm trying to convey. This is /b/ after all, I'd be coming across as a "grammar nazi" type if I went all cement on definitions. But point taken, just no reason to assume I don't understand the scientific definition of energy.
>>
>>735842860
It's a tragic misstep in evolution. We are creatures that became too self aware.
>>
>>735846310
Instincts are a tool of the consious mind. A computer has no natal instincts. A computer may seem complex but it's really not. Just a one-dimensional appropriation on some of physics' laws' that's like saying a wind-up toy train is complex but doesn't a real steam engine. DNA is biological and a better mitigator of information than anything we have now. A conputer does not have hardware autonomy or ability to repair itself. It is a fascimilie.
>>
>>735846899
> I'm just expressing it in a manner that is easily read and relatable.
Well not for me. Since you're using your own definition of energy what exactly do you mean? Sorry if I come off as aggressive, I'm on amphetamines.
>>
>>735847096
No worries, I'm just expressing a thought here, it isn't my solid opinion or belief, just something I've entertained. Perhaps energy is the wrong term, there really isn't a term for it I suppose. Think of it like gravity, something that exists, we can describe it, we know it's there, but we don't yet understand how or why it exists.
>>
>>735846552
What if Nature itself is a collective consiousness. I'm not saying ice can think, I'm saying that entropy is a door for evolution, and evolution is primarily the sophistication and movement of information.
>>
>>735847622
I don't know man, that just sounds like some New Age pantheism.
>>
>>735846996
Maybe the difference is the computer (the body) is created with the purpose of making calculations. While in biology the calculation is created with the purpose of helping the body. Dunno if that makes any sense...
>>
There is no place where God is not
>>
>>735847797
Yes. That is the input cycle that encourages mutations. A simple function will just pop out real numbers like eating something then having to shit. When we add intergers though...
>>
>>735847826
Then what is God? A crystal baller, looking down out of a cloud? An immutable force?
>>
>>735848249
So basically we make a giant selfrepairing computer with an entire ecosystem of animals and plants in the "computer box". Then we give it several "instincts", they could be like built in the concrete or set up so that they interact with the inner environment in a different rate than the rest of the system. Then we approach something like an imitation consciousness.
>>
File: 1494564437128.jpg (28KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
1494564437128.jpg
28KB, 768x768px
>>735842860
what the fuck kind of a question is this
>>
>>735842860
To make life that much more painful
>>
>>735842860

Why not?
>>
>>735842860
Short answer: No one knows.

Long answer: It's impossible to know much about something that can't be isolated or measured.

Retarded answer: huuurrrr becosss mooraalss hehehe
>>
>>735848489
come on its gotta be obvious by now
>>
>>735842860
the bible says the first man had his and consciousness breathed into him by the almighty who made the man in his image.

who do all subsequent humans have consciousness? because procreation has 3 participants. the man, the woman, and the almighty. the almighty gives us consciousness.
>>
>>735842979

Just a tool that helps "life" spread.

Read end of Will to Power, Nietszche's amoeba, good stuff.
>>
>>735842860
Well, son, to ask questions like this.
>>
>>735842860
Why are you asking /b this?
>>
God is consciousness. Consciousness is god. The was the is and the is to come. Consciousness is universal.
>>
>>735851694
Not disputing you, bro, but how do you know this?
>>
>>735844857
Fuck you I'm more consciousness than you will ever know. That's the truth.
>>
Dat heb jij gedaan.
>>
>>735844857
He also wanted to fap to Emma Watson and Selena Gomez. Imagine having an omnicscient eye that could see their buttholes any and all times...
>>
>>735851772
i had a revelation
>>
>>735842860
Why hello there Mr. Cosby.
>>
File: everything you know is wrong.jpg (49KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
everything you know is wrong.jpg
49KB, 350x350px
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.