[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a discussion about what the fuck we actually are?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 264
Thread images: 22

File: space123.png (867KB, 670x608px) Image search: [Google]
space123.png
867KB, 670x608px
Can we have a discussion about what the fuck we actually are?

I've been thinking about this one question since I was a kid: What happened before the big bang? I think about it day and night, every time as I fall asleep.. Whenever I'm dreaming and realize it's just a dream, I spend my dream thinking about it. In my dreams I try and imagine the creation of the universe in reverse but once I reach the very beginning of the big bang, my imagining comes to a screeching halt.

I'm not saying that the big bang actually happened, I guess what I'm really asking is:

Was there ever literally nothing?

Is it as simple as the universe (or whatever it is) has just always existed & there never was a time when there was literally nothing?

I also like to imagine myself expanding infinitely until i tower over the moon and the planets in our solar system and then our galaxy and then all other galaxies.. because I wonder if the universe is truly infinite. But again, I ask myself the question.. Is there ever an end to the universe(s)? (or whatever this is), or has the universe always been infinite?

I also think about how everything seems to work like clockwork. Everything seems to fit together perfectly.

What the actual fuck is evolution and does it only exist on earth?

I mean, when you see animals that use certain patterns (like red and black etc) to warn predators that they're dangerous.. how do they know their predators can even see those colors? or find them threatening?

Is evolution just one colossal entity that is spread through-out the entirety of the universe to gain information? I mean.. Why do the strongest species survive? Why are all life-forms given obstacles to overcome during their existence?

To me it seems evolution itself is learning. Otherwise we wouldn't had to have evolved from monkeys or fish, we would've just started as humans, right? Is the point of life to put as many creatures in different circumstances as possible?
>>
>>735307307
I'm not really familiar with the theory tbh. That being said, I've never seen anyone make something out of literally nothing before.

It would seem that you would need space and some other stuff. And that space and other stuff would've been called the "universe," no matter how small it was. But something had to make enough room in nothing for something to exist. I dunno.

But, yeah. I'll bump your thread.
>>
Some basic research into all these subjects could answer a lot of questions for you
>>
>>735307307
No, if the Universe is everything. And it isn't it's less than everything. Then it's 142.
>>
(I reached my word limit)

Is the point of life to put as many creatures in different circumstances as possible?

Because if evolution is a way for the universe (or whatever created it) to learn about life itself, this would be the perfect experiment.. wouldn't it?

Imagine if the information gained from every last living thing through-out life was collected so that whatever "evolution" is, could gain more knowledge then anything in the universe could ever comprehend? I know I'm explaining this badly. sorry.
>>
>>735307863
not very helpful but thanks for the bump.
>>
I think humans just aren't smart enough to comprehend this kind of stuff. It's like how animals don't understand everything we do, we don't understand how the universe works.
>>
>>735308335
yeah i get that and i'd have to agree.
i just really wish i knew something, ya know? it sucks knowing i'm not even scratching the surface.. i do find it interesting though.. i mean.. if you picture life as a floating rock in space that slowly grows mold and than that mold one day starts to question it's existence.. i think that's where we're at.. but what happens if that mold someday knows all there is to know? does this mean all life has the potential to play god someday? will that mold one day be capable of creating it's own universe and life?

also lots of these questions are rhetorical.

i know i'm sorta failing to define the thoughts in my head with words haha.
>>
>>735307307
evolution as a consept isn't all that complicated. Random mutations occures, whatever works survives and that wich doesn't work dies/gets killed. The succesful ones get to pass on the genes and their spawn gets similar traits. The genes of the unsuccsessful ones dosn't get passed on because, well ...they were unsuccessfull
>>
Basically nobody has any convincing theories as to what the fuck is going on. Use, science can give is reductionist explanations for material phenomena, but it lacks real explanatory power when it comes to the big questions: how and why?
>>
File: index.jpg (5KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
the answer to all of your questions are in one book.

read it. or are you afraid it might actually be true?
>>
>>735307307

The questions you are asking are the most fundamental in nature. There is literally NO answer and there can never be a definitive proof.

the greatest cosmologists, theoretical physicists and great philosophers all struggle in their own way to comprehend the pre-universe state. You won't get satisfaction with something simple on a message board but there are literally thousands of interesting books and writings on the subject. It's good you are thinking though since that shows you care about something more than yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/052188926X/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>735308108
You're right, getting an education on these topics (to prevent you from talking out of your ass about stuff you know nothing about) is completely unhelpful.
>>
>>735308714
Yes, but that's just the physical aspect, pretty sure there's heaps other dimensions we can't see
>>
>>735307307
>>735309026

and regarding your questions on evolution, read Dawkins.
>>
ITT: /b/tards speculate because they're too dumb or too lazy to actually become scientists and contribute something substantial to humanity.
>>
>>735307307
You seem to have the same thoughts i have. The deeper you think about it the more questions you end up having.

I think humans perceive existence through the eyes of life itself. (life, death, no existence after that).
What is this weird dimension we're living in? Even if there was no life in the universe, the universe would still exist and expand itself. Theoretically the universe shouldn't be here.
>>
>>735309026

You cannot say there is definitively no way we'll ever answer what, if anything, preceeded the big bang. The default answer is "I don't know" and that is okay.

We should feel so lucky to live in a time where we can live freely and healthily enough to be able to ponder these questions at all.
>>
Read "Who am I"

Ramana Maharshi
>>
>>735309252
Are you a scientist anon?

And if you are, why aren't you contributing something substantial to humanity instead of shitposting?
>>
File: 1483209843236.jpg (110KB, 748x714px) Image search: [Google]
1483209843236.jpg
110KB, 748x714px
>>735307307
https://discord.
-----------
gg/ctagmQE

the universe is matter and anti-matter, so probably nothing separated from itself
>>
File: 1487470657423.jpg (19KB, 273x271px) Image search: [Google]
1487470657423.jpg
19KB, 273x271px
still here peeps?
>>
>>735308987
fuck off with your Sun god.
>>
I think I am, therefore, I am. I think.
>>
>>735309123
all i ever do is research this shit.
i even watch shit like the kardashians, not because i'm interested in the lifestyles of whores but because i like to study other humans.

i could read and study everything there is on this planet, but still wouldn't answer my big questions. i especially wouldn't expect to find the answers on 4chan.

but for the same reasons i watch whores that suck black cock and live in multi-million dollar mansions, i like to hear ideas and thoughts from people who aren't philosophers, astrophysicists, scientists etc

i believe that if i were somehow given the answers, my little brain still wouldn't be able to comprehend anything at all.

but i like to entertain myself with the ideas because if we're going to talk about this, we have to start somewhere.

i find it fascinating that the majority of people on this planet don't stop to think about this more often. every time i look at myself in the mirror or look up at the moon i can't help but think, what the actual fuck is all of this?
>>
>>735310647
I love to get stoned and watch reality tv, just to study human behaviour.
>>
Big bong
>>
If u didn't exist and let's say 1,0000999997,66677755,5666554433 trillion years passed you wouldn't notice, so it comes at no surprise that something could have appeared within that time frame
>>
The universe is an illusion. 3 dimensional space and time simply do not actually exist outside of our experience of it, which is mostly isolated due to the infinite variables of experience. All that does exist is a potential field which we are only a slim margin of.

What are we? We are only here, nothing more. None of it matters but we have no other choice.
>>
I cry when I masturbate
>>
>>735310866
Basically, infinity of time could have passed and eventually something should emerge, not saying this is fundamental truth but food for thought
>>
>>735310647

You are a surface thinker. either incapable of or unwilling to dive deeper. The only way to begin to appreciate the fundamental turth and how deep your real unknowing is would be to educate yourself formally.

Stop getting stoned and watching Kim and Kanye you absolute fucking retard. You sound like a moron.
>>
>>735310904
Bullshit, just cuz you don't experience it, doesn't mean shit isn't going on, the whole hur dur we make our reality is heights of autism
>>
>>735307307

Have you read about the drug DMT? I highly recommend you do. Don't just think ahh its only drugs, the hallucinations are not real. Really research about it, and then eventually do it. You will experience something more real then life, something that cannot be explained by the physical laws of our universe, something so amazing that it will change your entire perception of this thing we are living in.
>>
>>735307307
There is no such thing as "before the big bang", nigga
>>
research cosmology, you would be suprised at the stuff we have figured out and some theories propose no such thing as a before the big bang. "big splat"
>>
>>735307307
Imagine it recycles like that 1 episode of Futurama where they can only travel into the future and they watch the end of the universe blow up into the same variable universe we live in now at least a few times while hes trying to get it to stop in the 3000s.
>>
File: IMG_0769.jpg (79KB, 554x921px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0769.jpg
79KB, 554x921px
>>735311112
1 number away
>>
>>735308881
Yeah, say for example that there was a new chemical that killed off 99% of all mosquitos. The remaining 1% that somehow survive have evolved, simple as that. The species that don't adapt go extinct.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1486027811417.jpg (17KB, 460x396px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1486027811417.jpg
17KB, 460x396px
>>735307307
Actually there was no big bang. This event is a theory based on the observation of the current expension of the universe, but humanity is too young to know that the universe actually follow very long cycles of expension followed by reduction, much like a breathing lung. Dark matter is what causes theses cycles.
Human science won't come to this conclusion until a long time, but i can tell you because the chances that i'll ever be taken seriously are non existant.
>>
Life is a flat circle.
>>
What if I'm god?
>>
>>735311029
it's probably my fault but i think you've misinterpreted my rhetorical questions.

basically all I've asked is:
Was there ever nothing?
Is the universe infinite?
Is there more to evolution than we know?

for you to suggest that i need to educate myself would imply that these questions have undoubtedly been answered already?
>>
File: arthur.png (18KB, 420x420px) Image search: [Google]
arthur.png
18KB, 420x420px
i gotta hit the bong before i read this thread
>>
>>735311467
You should test that theory by jumping off a cliff too see if you survive or even better get to heavens
>>
Also watch the youtube video, phermi paradox by kurzgesagt

Mentions filters we pass through in life that allow us to exist. Like spacing from the sun and the fact we havent been hit by another asteroid yet.
>>
>>735307307
Take LSD, the answers will come to you
>>
File: ø.jpg (5KB, 254x198px) Image search: [Google]
ø.jpg
5KB, 254x198px
>>735307307
>>
>>735307307
>What the actual fuck is evolution and does it only exist on earth?
correction
What the actual fuck is evolution and why are there still so many inferior creatures like Coala
why did many of the humans sensory abilities degrade (smell, taste)
why isn't there another species that is even remotely competes with the human intelligence.
What does evolution even do for a species thats already at the top of the food chain.
>>
>>735311385
that's certainly an interesting concept!

i don't believe in the big bang, nor am i against it. i just used it as an analogy to depict the beginning of a universe. (if there was a beginning).
>>
>>735312214
"What does evolution even do for a species thats already at the top of the food chain."

that's another interesting question!

this is why i started this thread, i've never asked myself that before.

also to those telling me to do acid, i have.. was very good to have a new perspective and put myself in a frame of mind i hadn't been in before.

when i did acid i was on a cliff above a beach, watching dolphins with a pink sunset. shit was lit.
>>
>>735312789
What if you are the only cognisant being and everything is an illusory projection of your own consciousness?
>>
We're a simulation in a computer. Eventually we will create an A.I. indistinguishable from our own minds. We will then use this to create a simulation in a computer that will create a simulated universe and existence much like our own. In that simulated universe its inhabitants will eventually create an A.I. that will once again create a simulation in a computer, that will create an A.I. that creates a simulation, and this will continue on for infinity. The computer that runs our simulation, is inside a simulation, that is inside a computer, that is in a simulation, that is inside a computer, so on and so forth. So the real question is, who built that first computer, if there even is one, that ran that first simulation, that started the long never ending chain of computers and simulations? And does it run Linux or Windows? Or maybe it's cyclical. That the computer that runs our simulation, is in a simulation running on a computer that is in a simulation running on a computer that is in a simulation running on the computer that runs our simulation.

The thought of death scares me to the point of anxiety panic attacks. I like to think that when we die, we wake up as if this was all a dream, and like any dream, as we fully wake up we slowly begin to forget this life. Then when we die again, we wake from another dream, this goes on forever.

What I really hope is that I awaken in a world filled with magic, and dragons, and big breasted women that need me to fuck their brains into mush.
>>
>>735307307
"Nothing" is a construct of the human mind to give meaning to something we don't understand. Nothing is always something. So yes, something has always existed in some form or another.
>>
>>735308916
we arent even sure if 'why' as you describe it is even a valid question. Its an overcomplication. all that really matters is observational understanding. for which we dont have all the answers yet and in some cases may never.... but that in itself isnt a problem
>>
>>735307307
My theory is that we exist because we are possible. And everything that is theoretically / mathematically possible exists somewhere.
>>
File: love think live.jpg (59KB, 480x672px) Image search: [Google]
love think live.jpg
59KB, 480x672px
Does universal love make me somewhat dull. YES
>>
>>735307307
>nothing
is impossible.
>>
If nothing can't exist, does that mean anything you can think of must exist by virtue of the fact that it can't not exist?
>>
>>735307307
The reason you can't really fathom a beginning to something infinite is because there is no beginning. Our perception of what time is and how it operates is extremely limited because there is a beginning and an end to everything we ever have and ever will experience. We cannot comprehend the true nature of something infinite.
>>
File: 1496269078529.jpg (103KB, 473x600px) Image search: [Google]
1496269078529.jpg
103KB, 473x600px
There is magic, eternal life after death, (not religious) reincarnation which I believe is a choice, and infinite worlds and possibilities.
>>
>>735307307
Meh, the term nothing is just a man-made concept.
>>
>>735315040

how about an object falling up and down at the same time, relative to a surface like a floor

or a piece of pure diamond that dissolves in water and weighs 5 grams but also 7grams at the same time while under the same gravitationzl influence?

is that not impossible too?
>>
File: we_will_all_go_together.gif (1013KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
we_will_all_go_together.gif
1013KB, 300x240px
>>735307307
There's an interesting quote by "Saint Augustine" (i don't know how the fuck you say it in english)

He asks himself: "what was God doing before creating everything?"
And replies along two lines: he was creating a special place in hell for people who ask stupid questions.

Second, before creating everything there was no time, hence there was no before.
>>
>>735311385
My nigga. I was thinking the same too. It could just be a periodic phenomenon and we just happened to gain consciousness while it's going through its expansion phase.
>>
nobody knows life is insane and absurd

but lets talk about the real questions here, okay?

How much would you pay to slurp a log of shit out of andy six's asshole?
>>
Small insects like ants percieve us humans as giants. For them we move so slowly as if in slow motion. Most ants in this world live and die without ever seeing a human being "giant". Ants dont understand who we are or how and why we and them came into existence. It is beyond what they are capable of. No matter what you do to help then understand or teach them, they will never understand what we humans do..shitposting, gaming, masturbating..anything.

We are the ants of our universe.
>>
File: 1496954372296.jpg (98KB, 534x712px) Image search: [Google]
1496954372296.jpg
98KB, 534x712px
ik you didnt mention god, but how can we humans think as far as to why we exist? i mean look at all the patterns and how everything is literally made for life! the way the solar system is a spiral and how the earth perfectly alines with the moon enabling animals and humans to sleep.Why do the trees produce air which just happen to be our source of life? becuz maybe god but idk im just a nigger anon
>>
File: Background.jpg (2KB, 80x82px) Image search: [Google]
Background.jpg
2KB, 80x82px
my greatest fear is not how i will die, but what happens AFTER i die! i dont want to just not exist and have no memories after i die!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would rather go to hell forever than not exist but no one knows what happens when u die and we all must w8
>>
>>735318261
who made God? He just didn't decide to exist one day.
>>
>>735307307
i wanna smoke a zoot and ive got no skins

what a boring fucking friday shit i wish i had some coin so i could go out but im just reading this gay ass thread instead
>>
>>735319771
who made this fool? He just didn't decide to be annoying one day.
>>
>>735319905
my dad fucking my mother and pushing me out of her pussyhole

>he just didn't decide to be annoying one day

yes i did you cumbreather
>>
>>735307307
you're fucked cuz Gödel's incompleteness theorems
>>
>>735310926
Fucking underrated post right here!
>>
>>735320069
nigger detected
>>
>>735314888
This! As Douglas Adams said, the human mind is incapable of comprehending infinity, therefore anything the human mind can imagine must, in an infinite universe, exist somewhere.
>>
>>735320449
i have a bunch of friends who over the past year or so have had a girl join their/our friendship group, noone even bothers to make moves on her because they all say she only dates black guys, which i think is ridiculous and shes clearly just not interested in the queers shes friends with.

she flirts with me though, and my gf says i should have been born black. im pretty racist all around, but cant help talk in ebonics and slang mixed with my very educated proper speech, it feels pretty good to be able to converse with literally any group of people and to adapt to their traits, i guess you could say its manipulative, but i think its more akin to acting.

i'd hate to be a nigger but damn do i get called one every fucking day.
>>
>>735307307

We can't physically or mentally experience nothingness. You won't be able to experience your own death, only your existence.

At least that's what I think makes sense. Don't take it as fact.
>>
the earth is governed by vibration and frequencies. our thoughts thereby assist in dictating reality, be sure to resonate wisely
>>
>>735307863

You think "basic" research is enough to figure out what reality is?

HUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRR
>>
>>735321056
Resonate wisely? You must not have proofread your post because you would've seen how fucking ridiculous that is and deleted it.
>>
>>735319652
can say the same for the big bang
>>
what bothers me the most is all this certainty that physicists make these grand pronouncements about what is and isn't possible, when clearly we're still extremely primitive.
energy is always conserved and nothing else is possible? well, since there's something instead of nothing, obviously energy can be created
relativity is absolutely correct therefore no ftl, etc? if it was absolutely correct we wouldn't be unable to reconcile it with QM
future humans will laugh at our ignorance, primitiveness, and arrogance, just as we laugh at the dumbasses from 500 years ago
>>
>>735318261
Super scientist, your god must be. Kek.
>>
>>735323320
Physicists dont know shit. Chemistry is where its at.
>>
>>735309768

to follow up on this, the answer to everything you're looking for is the following.

The universe exists solely because of you. Your experience is that of you experiencing yourself. You are all that there is, and the alignment of events fall in place for your logic to understand your place. Though these events themselves are built as a part of you.

You are the cosmos experiencing itself in a (for now) human frame.
>>
>>735324231
Carl Sagan.

You should quote the source, fam.
>>
Don't listen to those fags anon. Study physics and you'll be the one of the people finding answers. You want to be stupid like this >>735324231
dude and want 'deep' answers fine. But if you want the true answer you should study science.
>>
>>735324231

you are all that is everything, you are all that is nothing. the vast nothingness and the vastness of everything.

you ARE.

If you want to experience this for yourself, look for the rahasyas of the ancient vedic civilizations. They have abundant scriptures which all exist verbally to this day which will answer any and all questions you have.

Listen intensely, with integrity and authenticity. Your very being will vibrate with the frequency of the cosmos.
>>
>>735324446

It's not from carl segan.

What I'm speaking is from parahamsa sri nithyananda. If carl sagan has also said this, he clearly didn't start it. It's been something that's been said for thousands of years
>>
I, an atom in universe and a universe of atoms.
- What's his name scientist.
>>
>>735324527
Fuck off nigger. The only answer is science.
>>
>>735324449

What I'm speaking is the fundamental thought current from which to approach science.It's not the end goal whatsoever.

The problem with science today is all the misleading assumptions made which will ensure you will never find what you're looking for, until you drop all your preconceived notions and follow what makes experiential sense
>>
>>735324622
So it is Hindu bullshit, i presume. Man, these religious nutjobs have held mankind back so bad.* Not just hindus. All religions.

*Disclaimer: to be continued
>>
>>735324843
Do one thing, look him up and see what his Gurukul kids are doing. I'm not relgiious whatsoever but he's a being who's literally changing the nature of human DNA and unlocking abilities which have been inaccessible for centuries
>>
File: emc.jpg (53KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
emc.jpg
53KB, 500x370px
>>735311654

> Was there ever nothing?
according to quantum mechanics even "nothing" is "something" so nope. think of nothing as something at a particular state. our brain labels that state as nothing

> Is the universe infinite?
our universe is finite. finite amount of energy, or finite amount of information. but according to string theory our universe is just a bubble in an infinite sea of other universes so the multiverse is infinite.

> Is there more to evolution than we know?
we still have very limited understanding on how DNA works hence our true understanding of evolution is limited
>>
>>735307307
if there ever was pure nothing, there was no time aswell. and if there was no time, this nothing happened both for a second and forever. if you imply infinity, somewhere at some point, something has to happen. out of nothing. boom -> universe.
makes perfect sense to me. simply because infinity is so infinite, that everything is possible.
>>
>>735325023
No, thank you. I am sure he will unlock mysteries of nature until the day one of his followers decides to tell yhe world how he was sexually abusing his followers all this time. It always ends up the same way. Every fucking godman is the same.
>>
of all your questions, evolution is the only thing we really understand well. you can answer all of the questions you've posed about it just by googling evolution and natural selection and reading. you fundamentally misunderstand it pretty badly.

the other stuff you're asking about, is on some level unanswerable. we can exclude some answers, and come up with answers that seem more likely than others but that's about it.
>>
"The knowledge that the atoms that comprise life on earth - the atoms that make up the human body, are traceable to the crucibles that cooked light elements into heavy elements in their core under extreme temperatures and pressures. These stars- the high mass ones among them- went unstable in their later years- they collapsed and then exploded- scattering their enriched guts across the galaxy- guts made of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and all the fundamental ingredients of life itself. These ingredients become part of gas clouds that condense, collapse, form the next generation of solar systems- stars with orbiting planets. And those planets now have the ingredients for life itself. So that when I look up at the night sky, and I know that yes we are part of this universe, we are in this universe, but perhaps more important than both of those facts is that the universe is in us. When I reflect on that fact, I look up- many people feel small, cause their small and the universe is big. But I feel big because my atoms came from those stars."
>>
>>735307307
>the fuck we actually are?
Cosmic data
>What happened before the big bang?
We don't have a UFT yet, but time=space. If it started as a singularity, there's no space, so no time.
>I'm not saying that the big bang actually Plenty of evidence says yes.
>Was there ever literally nothing?
No. The same amount of energy always existed. Mass is energy waiting to happen.
>there never was a time when there was literally nothing?
No, see above.
>imagine myself expanding
No, if you go past infinity, the universe simply provides more infinity. Like a hidden track, just because you haven't discovered it doesn't mean it's not there.
>everything seems to work like clockwork
Because /all/ life is made of the same stuff, raised in the same incubator.
>What the actual fuck is evolution
Nature's way of trying 10,000 things at once and seeing what works. It would happen everywhere, or the "first thing" would not be "created".
>animals that use certain patterns
Nature tried many other colors but they got eaten.
>Is evolution just one colossal entity
Ummm...
>evolution itself is learning
Not really. "Humans" is just the current iteration. We will certainly be something else. Also, environment is the driver for most evolution. If Earth was a rocky planet, we would evolve from birds-type creatures or something.
>>
>>735308714
We are the only species to discover, to venture. You could say that no other species is brave. It's also why we have faith, but many other species have superstition. Even earlier hominids never thought of setting sail over an unknown horizon. We are truly remarkable, yet still a mammal.
>>
>>735308987
Trepanation will not cure trichinosis, no matter how many burning pigeons I bring to a virgin.
>>
>>735310904
Fucking Sagan.

A 2d shape is a shadow of a 3d object
A tesseract is a 3d shadow of a 4d object
The math is there, we just can't use it yet.
>>
>>735326740
That doesnt sound true. What about other species discovering things for themselves? Things that we dont have an understanding of. I agree that we are a remarkable species but probably only ahead of other species (in some things only) in the race of evolution. That is to say that it shouldnt be surprising to think that maybe another species will catch up to is some day. But this is matter of a different thread, probably.
>>
>>735311385
How do you know this are you one of us?
>>
File: oilpaint.jpg (488KB, 800x778px) Image search: [Google]
oilpaint.jpg
488KB, 800x778px
>>735325168

once we accept the multiverse theory (which can be proven at least mathematically) things get very simple (although philosophically a bit depressing)

our universe is just one out of an infinite number of universes. that means that every possible configuration of atoms and quantums exists somewhere in this infinite mess.
you just happen to exist in a universe where things got so complex, a collection of atoms got connected in a certain way and formed "you"

so you only fool yourself into thinking you exist you're just a statistical inevitability
>>
>>735311385
Take this:

When falling in a black hole, time does not change for you.

If we were collapsing back into a singularity, would we notice?
>>
>>735307307
No
>>
>>735308987
You are stupid.
>>
" We exist within the universe, and the universe lives within us. "
>>
>>735327476
*exist
>>
>>735311654
>Was there ever nothing?
No, energy can not be created or destroyed.
>Is the universe infinite?
Yes, plus some.
Is there more to evolution than we know?
Like what? We know it happens. We know it is for a species' self-preservation. The question is: Why do species need to self-preserve? Why not have 1000 new species evolve every year while 1000 others die? Makes it seem like there should be one victor at the end.
>>
>>735312214
>What the actual fuck is evolution and why are there still so many inferior creatures like Coala
Define inferior. Can't buy an iPhone?
>why did many of the humans sensory abilities degrade (smell, taste)
Evolution. If we don't need to taste the good grass from the poisonous grass anymore, why take up brain power to keep it?
>why isn't there another species that is even remotely competes with the human intelligence.
Intelligence isn't what wins all the time. Look at HIV or malaria.
>What does evolution even do for a species thats already at the top of the food chain.
Again, define top, and what species is there? Is there an impervious one?
>>
>>735313533
There is a theory that our entire existence is merely a hologram created by black holes. Black holes can contain an infinite amount of data. Our data.
>>
>>735328052
>>
>>735315081
Everything that has ever been or will be written already exists in this library. Including this sentence.
https://libraryofbabel.info/search.html
>>
>>735318261
No god.
We adapted to the environment we were given. Since you grew up with no father, you adjusted by doing drugs and shooting people.
>>
>>735318715
>i dont want to just not exist and have no memories after i die!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but you are already very familiar with not existing. for billions of years you did not exist and everything was just fine. now you're here for a while and eventually you're going back to that familiar comfy state of not existing.
>>
>>735328545
Ah, nice!
>>
>>735307307
nobody knows its a mystery. but it has something to do with the proper 4 dimensions, the hypercube. incorporates both time and space into geometry. also God is actually real in some form
>>
>>735321056
Hippy. It's not governed by any of that.
>>
>>735322183
No you can't. Not even close. The energy always existed, just in a different form.
>>
>>735323320
>energy can be created
How? When? No one can or has.
>>
"The egg" by Andy Weir
>>
>>735307307
>>735307992
>what the fuck we actually are
We're self-assembling blocks of matter resonating at difference frequencies. We're physical programs with no clear intention or agency when examined individually. We are a proliferating algorithm. We are automatons. We are conscious. We are human beings. We are alive.

We're meat. We're meat, we're meat, we're meat. We're talking meat. That's all we are right now, that's all we've been thus far. Everything is like clockwork, because it is. Matter oscillates. Gravity correlates with density. Up is up. Down is down. Things fall at a certain rate given the environment. Things float given their density. You will always breathe if your brain is capable of ordaining that. In, out. In, out. Tick, tock. The cesium atom keeps atomic time. Square hole, square peg. Sometimes, round peg, but not always.

Evolution is nothing more than a boat floating on water, instead of several blocks of dense material, because the boat is both hollow and shaped a certain way. Evolution isn't necessarily aware, nor planned. Things know, because the things that could know are the things that would survive, and survive to know. Fear is instinctual, base. Aversion to harmful things existed before multi-cellular life. What evolution gives rise to, could prompt a sort of reflexive self-improvement-turned-augmentation, and then of course, perhaps that artificial, controlled development can count as "evolution", then given a goal, and enough agency to carry intent and purpose, if any.

The strongest survive, because the weakest cannot easily overpower what might threaten them. Life is a struggle, because all things want to return to their most basic state. Everything.

We are learning. Evolution is not. Hopefully we learn to want to expand, than stay and retire into dirt, or hot flashes of light, collectively.

>be the perfect experiment
Maybe it would be.

>anything in the universe
The universe can only use the universe's worth, nothing more.
>>
>>735307992
>Imagine if
Imagine if the collective various states of the universe were consolidated and imposed upon one another in a singularity-like way. Imagine if the entire universe at a given point could represent enough information and states such that a universe-sized intelligence could emerge and realize itself, the total sum of all things.
>>
>>735307307
Huh, it's almost like that religion thing that literally all of humanity has had for as long as we can record is there for a reason...
>>
File: 1400733079420.png (166KB, 343x343px) Image search: [Google]
1400733079420.png
166KB, 343x343px
>>735328052
>There is a theory that our entire existence is merely a hologram created by black holes. Black holes can contain an infinite amount of data. Our data.

wow, you just butchered the theory of the holographic universe

black holes cannot contain an infinite amount of information. we can calculate very precisely how much information can be contained in a black hole and turns out all that data is encoded on the surface of the event horizon as a 2 dimensional matrix.

so you can say that everything trapped inside the black hole is also encoded onto the border of that black hole, or that everything inside a black hole is just a projection of the information encoded on it's event horizon
both statements are true

turns out our universe is the same way. all the information contained inside our universe is also encoded on the edge of the universe as quantum data.

so technically the universe is just pure information being "rendered" as a 3D reality, not that different than GTA V
>>
>>735309252
This
>>
>>735329546
>is there for a reason..
Of course it is, it's a simple way for those who desire power to control those who are happy being lead
>>
>>735327158
Not discovering things, like my dog discovers my new extension cord, and then electricity. Exploration, to an unknown. To say goodbye to your friends and family with the plans to leave forever, just because there might be something "over there".
That is the opposite of self-preservation.
>>
>>735320909
My god, Idiocracy came true...
>>
>>735329880
It came true a while ago.
>>
>>735327158
Also, what makes you think you're ahead? We can't fight many animals over 50 lbs with our bare hands. Every year we have some new Mexican swine flu or noro virus or avian flu that kicks our ass, and now dirty immigrants are bringing smallpox back. We're in the mix with every other species.
>>
File: 12987387487.png (463KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
12987387487.png
463KB, 900x506px
I Don't Wanna Miss a Ring
>>
>>735330046
Pretty basic anon, the ability to make and use tools whilst existing in a complex social environment.
>>
>>735309026
Your amazon link is dead and I was really curious as to what it lead to. Could you please update it or inform me what is was before? That would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
>>
>>735329583
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s86-Z-CbaHA

Sorry, I'm just your average Mechanical Drafter.
>>
>>735330046
we are ahead.. with knowledge. Perhaps we cant fight any animal over 50 pounds with our bare hands, but we sure as hell can take a rock and bash its brains out.. or take a gun for that matter and shoot the fucker.
>>
>>735321075
Sure as fuck would answer all these "deep" evolution theory questions. Fucking muricans and their churches
>>
>>735328927
Energy exists, therefore it can be created
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (157KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
157KB, 1280x720px
>>735307307
human intelligence seems to be a kind of a self-perception of the system itself.
>>
>>735330524
We could also get it to deliberately hurt itself in trying to kill us. Or, chase it down for hours on end by making a lot of noise in groups, only breaking sweats while it pants and collapses from running away.

That's how we used to do it, at least.
>>
>>735310926
Well played
>>
>>735330580
I... what?

Okay anon, create light energy. Don't convert other forms of energy, create light energy.
>>
>>735326415
There's little to no evolutionary drive left in humans, how would we ever drift towards any direction when there's no competition any more?
>>
>>735307922

42 dumbass
DA rolling in his grave right now.
>>
>>735330242
>ability to make and use tools
Sure, we have some advantage, but it's not 100% won. We even have to wear clothes outside to stay alive outside a relatively small temp window. My pets remain outside whether it's 20°F or 110°F. I wouldn't do so well. We have fire, but we need those tools to make it. A cougar needs shit and eats us with no tools.

>complex social environment
Like what, your facebook friends? How does a beehive work? An ant colony? A dog pack? I'd say it's all about the same complexity.
>>
>>735330716
exactly, we are better becuase of our knowledge. thats the reason we are so weak physically, because we compensate with our smarts. I'm sure if we never evolved into what we are now, we'd be pretty formidable, at least physically. I mean shit, look at a fucking gorilla. they fuck shit up.
>>
>>735330971

Actually we are becoming dumber as a species. Dumb people have five children, smart people wait til they are forty and have none.
>>
>>735307307
Were just a simulation, morty. Were a simulation to a place that exists only in imagination
>>
>>735330524
No no, I agree that we are advanced, and we certainly are not shit tier, but I don't even think there is a "top". There's different advantages in different situations.
>>
>>735321075
You're retarded if you don't think you can come up with your own comfy theory by digging through Wikipedia
>>
>>735330580
Th'fuck? Have you mixed up any new elements recently? Can you heat a spoon by staring at it?
>>
>>735307307
>What happened before the big bang?
might as well ask "what is the smell of blue?"
before was (probably) an energy state in quantum foam. it didnt have time. nor weight, mass, heat, colour, light, cold. its a singularity outside of human reference. We simply do not have a comprehension to define most of it.

in this universe, no. and probably not in those outside it either. the instant that the singularity expanded as a bubble in the quantum foam, we instantly had mass, space, dimension, time etc. before that happened, there wasnt anywhere for there to be nothing.

Yes, that is a paradox.

>Is it as simple as the universe (or whatever it is) has just always existed
No.

we know the universe came out of a singularity point about 13.4 billion years ago. We have the evidence in things like cosmic background radiation. What we do not know is is that singularity point itself came out of an older galaxy, or expanded as a bubble in a greater space outside our universe, and beyond our observation.

> Is there ever an end to the universe(s)? (or whatever this is), or has the universe always been infinite?
We do not know.

it may be that expansion will slow, and eventually contract.
it may be that the heat-death of the universe will occur as matter becomes more spread with entropy.
it may be that it will contract under its own mass, and eventually cause a "big crunch". we cant tell yet which is likely.
>>
>>735311029
>i wear a fedora, the post
>>
>>735330971
Actually, Sagan has explained that humans have never evolved more rapidly the now (and even quicker tomorrow). With books, then the internet, we no longer need to store "how to fix a radiator" or "recipe for banana bread" in our brains, freeing up space for other things.
>>
>>735307307

Jury is out. But before the big bang its thought there was no time. Time is a variable. Things are really whacky without it.

Also the big bang isn't even really confirmed. It just makes sense based on observation of the universe and speed and trajectory of what we can see moving, which isn't really much.

>was there ever nothing

There didn't have to be nothing. We have only evolved so far and no one says we can evolve any further than 4th dimensional (sounds like spiritual woo, but thats what we perceive. 4 dimensions, and there is strong evidence there are 11).

So we come to a problem of perception. We can only really truly understand what our brain limits us to understand based on how far its come.

But according to big bang there wasnt nothing before it, just a hyper dense point that held a shit tonne of matter and mass, and had ultra high gravity as a result, so continued to collect matter and mass until the energy was too much even for its strong gravitational pull and exploded.

But everything could have existed for all eternity without a problem even if our brains cant wrap itself around that idea.
>>
>>735331142
>just watched idiocracy

Natural selection doesn't care. "Smarts" is not passed on through genes.
>>
OP will be dead in what seems like an infinitesimally small time, try to learn new things and pass them on to the future generations so they can learn even more. The amount of questions asked always exceeds the answers but just shedding a little light into the unknown makes it all worth it.
>>
>>735331035
>Like what, your facebook friends? How does a beehive work? An ant colony? A dog pack? I'd say it's all about the same complexity.
Clearly you missed a key point, the connection of tool craft and complex social environment, so one person can focus on toolcraft whilst another focuses on something else - thus allowing us to make tools so we can study things like beehives simply because we have to ability and curiosity to.

>We even have to wear clothes outside
The flaw in your argument here is you assuming wearing clothes is somehow a disadvantage.
>>
>>735331489
Like MAGA. And Twitter.
>>
>>735331721
Don't forget porn.
>>
>>735307307
Evolution works as the pro-dominant reaction to the current environment.

As the ecological, and even sociological climate changes, species must diversify to adapt.

This may seem like it was ordained or created by some unknown source, but in reality it is the reaction of generations of trial and error.

Take for example the early fish the amphibian transition. As the earth became more land based their where freaks born who had some capacity to breath above water. Those freaks who managed to breed are the ancestors of our civilization.
>>
>>735330046
This is exactly why i specifically said "in some things only". We are ahead in some things such as surviving and multiplying and harnessing resources around us, etc, and not ahead in others..such as breathing under water, for example.
>>
>>735313533
>What if you are the only cognisant being and everything is an illusory projection of your own consciousness?
this ^^^^^^^^^^^^ is literally the answer to this entire thread.
you are a part of the seemingly infinite universe, your consciousness and its foolish believe of individuality is/are the universe itself, experiencing things from our brief insignificant perspective from which we call our lives
my question is, is there someone pulling the strings, playing games with these beings stuck inside a bubble, atop a big floating rock, slowly falling into the sun which is slowly being pulled into a supermassive blackhole, which is being pulled towards another supermassive blackhole
>>
>>735308987
You can not be serious.
>>
>>735307307
Research NDE's , everyone who has a near death experience tells an eerily similar story... the earth is actually a cosmic being and we're all connected, you experience the emotions of everyone you have ever interacted with in a single minute and apparently all of the big questions you have been asking become clear... another interesting point is if all space between atoms was remove from everything on earth, you'd be left with a mass about the size of a softball and with immeasurable (think big bang)
>>
File: mouse deer.jpg (78KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
mouse deer.jpg
78KB, 800x533px
>>735307307
>What the actual fuck is evolution

Survival of the fittest.

trees grow, deer feed on leaves.
but the tree is tall. So two deer eat. one has a short neck, the other is a little longer. the short one gets less food.
the tall one has more food, it wins in the mating season fights and fucks deer-bitches while shorter necked deer is too hungry and weak.

So long-neck passes on the long necked gene. it was fitter to live. its children are the long-necked ones, and so the deer have, in a tiny way, evolved to be more suited to their environment, than a short necked species.

that, at its core is evolution.

repeat over tens of thousands of generations, and instead of a tiny bit longer neck, you get a giraffe, and a mouse deer (about 20 inches long) at two extremes of ungulate species. some which evolved to be VERY long necks, some evolved to be small for forested land.
>>
>>735332106
>Survival of the fittest.
no. it is adaptation. the species that best adapts is the winner.
>>
>>735307307
>what the fuck we actually are?
hydrogen, oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, and "other"
>>
>>735329816
And how do we know that your dog didnt look beyond the walls of yiur house simply out of curiosity? If we were monkeys and at some stage we got the urge to discover, wouldnt this statement be true: An animal got an urge to discover something.
>>
>>735307307
>>735331685

>what is evolution

Im sure youve heard the term "carbon based life form."

It goes like this. Carbon is a special atom, it can bond on all 4 sides with just about anything, and if one of those bonds is carbon that carbon can then bond 3 ways with again, just about anything.

Eventually some really strange chemical formed this way that was self replicating as in it encouraged other atoms to form seperately the same way it was arranged. That took energy.

Sometimes those copies were not perfect copies. And sometimes those imperfect copies were better at using energy and replicating (and therefore more complex). So they did better.

Then those ones made flawed copies that were better, and so on and so on.

You are the ultimate result of replicating carbon, youre very good at sucking up energy to eventually create copies of yourself that go on to suck up energy and make copies of itself.

As a psychology fag i can also tell you, a lot of personality is genetic. Its built by evolution. Your genetics have a big say at how you maneuver socially. Whether youre a deceptive sociopath, or an altruistix provider, you manage to use and cooperate with others to get food and survive and ultimately reproduce yourself.

This is life.
>>
>>735332213
so many more elements
multiple states of matter
and differing types of energy (electricity, heat, etc)
>>
>>735332032
All NDE's are is the brain freaking out in a traumatic situation.I've never been a fan of looking too far into the meaning of nde's
>>
>>735307307
Humans are the cockroaches of the universe.
>>
>>735332032
I've had an NDE. The earth is not a cosmic being. I just lived my most vivid memories for a bit.
>>
>>735330843
Just because *we* have fuck all clue how something might be done, doesn't mean it can't happen.

Are you saying that energy doesn't exist? Obviously it does. If something exists, at some point it was created.
>>
>>735331934
> As the earth became more land based their where freaks born who had some capacity to breath above water.

wasnt even that at first.

it was probably one bony fish had slightly stronger fins than others.
and with the stronger fins, it was able to push itself up out of the water, onto land, and slither its way over to another pond.

the ones with weaker fins died when the pond dried up. the strong one survived in the big pond, and so, it became able to just get about on land.

then later, one had slightly better ability to breathe in the air, instead of in water. just enough that it could sit on the bank for longer. and while there, could lay eggs where other species couldnt eat them.

and eventually they were able to crawl about on land, and the fins were more like legs, and so on.

each one a tiny gradual step,
>>
>>735331689
Yes it is. Almost everything is. And intelligence most certainly has a strong genetic component. Genetics decides your intelligence cap. Environment decides how close you get to that cap.

Its just you dont have to be smart to pass forward your genes.

It helps because intelligence is attractive, but so are many other things.

And as idiocracy goes, smart people arent pumping out kids these days.
>>
>>735307307
thats the beauty of life in my perspective. We will never truly know everything about the world we live in.
>>
>>735332421
>at some point it was created
proof? or are you stating bullshit as fact without any actual evidence?
science so far can only prove the conversion of energy, matter, the creation or even the destruction or even creation of energy/matter/the universe itself, is as far as we know it impossible.
>>
>>735331709
I get it, and we're almost on the same page here...

>tools
Do tools make us stronger in nature's eyes? Sea lions (I tame them) use rocks to open abalone. Apes and chimps use a lot of tools. Does this make them naturally "stronger", or have they just adapted? Does it really matter that we built an electron microscope? Other virii are mutating behind our backs while we study just one.

>clothing
Well, I dunno. Is having to rely on something an advantage? Is having fur a disadvantage? Would my cat evolve in other ways if he knew how to put on pants?
>>
>>735307307
Take 2 seconds
I was thinking about something.

Why are we on earth? Why are we living? Like whats the point of living are we here to work our ass of a job until we retire? Or are we here to have fun all of our life? How can we be happy in our lives?

Also life must be boring when your old? Like i'm 17 yrs and im experiencing many fkg lit things but someday , when i'll have experienced everything its gonna suck no? Like no new things all you do is repaeat the same things all over again. Then why the fuck are we living? Should you just suicidr after living everything? So many questions... What do y'all think?
>>
>>735332616
what the fuck is wrong with you.

the fact it exists is proof it was created

what you're basically saying is 'we can't make a star, therefore stars can't be created'
you're ignoring the fact that you can look up at the sky and fucking see one.
that it's sitting right there, existing, neccessarily implicates that at some point, it came into existence. same with energy in general, there's no way it can exist without having been created, by definition
>>
>>735332643
one could argue that the whole point of adapting is to make whatever is adapting "stronger"
>>
>>735332421
No, I'm not saying that energy doesn't exist at all. Not even close. If energy exists, and was created at some point, it does not follow that you can create it. It only follows that it occurred. It does not absolutely mean that you can make it occur.

>>735323320
>obviously energy can be created
If energy obviously can be created, then, create it. Obviously, creating energy is obvious, right? If it's so obvious, it should be obviously easy to create it, right? It's so obvious.

There isn't even a single phenomenon that we've ever been able to observe that shows energy being created from, energy, or matter. You can't even necessarily, incontrovertibly prove that
>energy
>energy itself
>all energy
was created, either.
>>
Always a cool thread. Break from the traps, bananas and wwyd's. Like many of these threads, however, much of the same repeated thoughts. I lean toward atheism, (no fedora wearing). I wish I wasn't, and had something more than faith to influence a belief in "something". Also, thinking that we will know all the answers to the universe and existence when we die is childish ignorance. Does proving and knowing "where/how it all began" change anything? I guess it's just satiating humans need for answers.
>>
>>735332106
This is "natural/artificial selection" or "genetic deviation". Survival of the fittest is when the biggest, strongest buck gets the mates.
>>
>>735332847
>the fact it exists is proof it was created
no it isn't. the universe is and always was the way it is, which is a perpetual state of change between matter and energy.
at no point has anyone been able to prove that they created matter or even a type of energy for that matter.
nor has anyone yet proven they were able to absolutely destroy something.
>>
>>735332213
You forgot Sulfur and Phosphorous.
>>
>>735332968
It does follow that you can create it. Because if energy couldn't be created, there would be no such thing as energy.

That we have no clue how we might go about doing it doesn't refute that it exists and therefore, somehow, some circumstance resulted in it being made.

>>735333033
>Humans don't know how to make something that exists in the universe, therefore it can't be made despite having been made.

You're making no sense.
>>
>>735308916

I think the real problem with humanity is language.

Before we can answer such large questions we need to find the least resistant way to process nuanced functions of reality.

From what I can tell, the 'grand' meaning of it all is pointless.

A cell for example doesn't need to know why it functions or even it's purpose in the grand scheme.

That it only do its job.

We are much more complex than a single cell. However, that gives us so many choices within our boundaries.

And yes there are boinderies, the philosophy of the universe might be lost on our minds.
>>
>>735313957
I highly doubt we live in a sim inside a sim... etc. If something were to happen to the root simulation, we'd all disappear, also think about all that processing power. Attempting to simulate a SINGLE human brain is impossible, now imagine being able to sustain brain sims for all living creatures and multiply that by all the sims.
>>
>>735333201
>You're making no sense.
i guess this is a bit over your head are you 18?
there's an age limit here you know...
>>
>>735332826
life is what you make of it, if you perceive life as boring and meaningless then it will be boring and meaningless whereas if you perceive life as fun then it will be fun. I try and live by that ideology but most of my life has felt like it has been meaningless but fun. I tend to focus on the future rather than the here and the now which is a problem because instead of acting on my immediate thoughts i tend to wait for something to change.
>>
>>735332643
>Do tools make us stronger in nature's eyes?
Yes, the only reason for man sized predators to fear us is either tools or social cooperation.
>Apes and chimps use a lot of tools. Does this make them naturally "stronger"
In survival terms, most definitely, it opens new niches for food sources their species didn't have access to before the discovery of said tool/use. Many animals use tools but generally they don't have the ability to see the abstract use of tools like us, except for near peers like Dolphins who can also make traps and the like.
>Well, I dunno. Is having to rely on something an advantage?
It's not a matter of having to rely on something, Reptiles don't live in cold weather, we can live, within reason, wherever the fuck we like.
>>
>>735332265

Also to think that humans, as we are, is the "final form" is ignorant.
>>
>>735332968
>There isn't even a single phenomenon that we've ever been able to observe that shows energy being created from, energy, or matter
lol we convert matter/kinetic force into energy (electricity) all the time. we can convert some matter/energy
>>
>>735333387
Could ask you the same thing. You're saying "I see this thing in front of me. It obviously exists. But we don't know how to do it. Therefore, despite the fact that we can see it, and it clearly exists, it can't be created'
It's a logical contradiction.

'it always existed' is pure conjecture, nobody knows shit about the universe before a planck time.
>>
>>735332254
One animal doesn't count. Surely there was one wolf that decided to take scraps from man, but that's not exploration. That could've been a mental defect, like that fluke that makes mice not afraid of cats. That one dog wasn't representative of the whole species, he was part of artificial selection.

There were hominids in Europe for centuries, but none thought "what the fuck is over there", or felt strongly enough to do it.
>>
>>735333301
>I highly doubt we live in a sim inside a sim
and yet here humanity is trying to create a simulation, i wonder how long it'll take for those simulations to create their own simulations
>>
>>735332847
We can't make a quark, therefore, we can't make a quark, dumbass. Looking at a fucking particle isn't the same as shitting one out of nowhere.

>>735333201
>Because if energy couldn't be created, there would be no such thing as energy
Maybe your definition of energy is incorrect. If energy could not be created, then it could either never exist, or have existed indefinitely.

>That we have no clue how we might go about doing it doesn't refute that it exists
It is not about fucking doing it, god dammit. It is about your faulty reasoning that because you can see it, it is. That is the worst kind of logic you can utilize. Things aren't trying to travel downwards towards the Earth; the Earth is dense enough, and large enough collectively, to generate enough of a force of attraction known as gravity, to pull other forms of mass towards it relative to the Earth. We cannot create gravity, just like we cannot create energy. We can induce gravity. We can induce energy. We cannot create the principle of energy. We cannot create the principle of gravity. Do you understand now? Was gravity created, or is it the framework that occurs when particles interact enough sufficiently and in a certain series of manners?

Jesus.

>>735333581
>that shows energy being created from
>we convert
>convert
Convert is not create, it is convert.
>>
>>735307307
>I'm not saying that the big bang actually happened, I guess what I'm really asking is:

You don't understand what the big bang was. It wasn't nothing and then suddenly there was something. The entire universe was compressed into a single point as energy.
>>
>>735333301

Are you stupid?

The human mind is just a bunch of atoms undulating in a calcium container...

Theoretically speaking, generating different forms of consciousness isn't such a far off concept considering how low cost the human mind is on energy consumption.

Think about it. The human mind technically simulates what it senses. Whether it be based in reality, dream...or whatever.

Boom.
>>
>>735325168
How could something have happened if there was no time? Nothing can happen without time.
>>
>>735332032

dmt...
>>
>>735333759
What is with you and thinking that just because we don't know how to make something, today, with our current knowledge, that it can't be made?

How the fuck can a quark exist if quarks can't be created?

And gravity, obviously gravity exists. That *we* can't make it, doesn't mean that somehow it wasn't made.
Somehow gravity was made, by some natural process, as were quarks, as were energy. It exists, therefore some condition led to that state.
>>
>>735333581

God, do many people in here is retarded.

There is a difference between converting energy and literally manifesting it from nothing.
>>
>>735333600
the object you see infront of you was converted under a substantial amount of time after a substantial set of circumstances to finaly form and for you to form and for you to find that object infront of you. lol

>>735333759
>Convert is not create, it is convert.
the way it's typed it's easy to confuse you saying
>FROM energy or matter
as meaning
>you can't create energy (technically you are, even if the process of creation means you're converting something) from matter
>>
>>735307307
>>>735331934
>> As the earth became more land based their where freaks born who had some capacity to breath above water.
>
>wasnt even that at first.
>
Yep, i don't think anon was being literal, desu.
>>
>>735334133
>God, do many people in here is retarded.
you're clearly one of them, just look at that sentence, top kek
>>
>>735332265
>all 4 sides
What? What sides? It's a sphere. You're full of shit.

>replicating carbon
Holy shit. You can't copy an element.

>those copies were not perfect copies
Are you talking about genes? Those are amino acids.

As a anti-psychology fag, I can tell you that very little has to do with genes. Most of your personality comes from the environment you were introduced to early on in life, which is why siblings are not often similar, why scientists come from deadbeat single parent homes, why comedians and writers come from broken or abusive families.
>>
>>735333951
>Nothing can happen without time.

in this universe.

outside this universe, time may well be entirely different in perspective. the 13.4 billion years we've been expanding might be an instant of nothingness - or it might be forever.

time is relative to the constraints of our universe. the moment before our universe, time ceases to be relevant,
>>
>>735334259

wow...a typo. he must be tarded.
>>
Thats crazy. I literally just did a podcast with my friend about all this shit and The Fermi paradox. first time back to /b/ in years.

We just get high and talk about stuff. I don't wanna be a self promotion faggot but check it out if anyone wants to...

https://soundcloud.com/higuyspod/aliens-the-fermi-paradox-life-and-montana
>>
Okay, I gotta ask it since we're talking about existence and the whole meaning of life yada yada yada. Do we have free will or is it just an illusion? Is everything determined by our past experiences? For instance, if my memory were to be erased up until the time I woke up today, and if I was somehow able and redo the day, would I do everything exactly the same as before, up until my memory was erased? If so, wouldn't that sort of imply that we have no free will? And if that's the case, what's the point of living? Who wants to be a puppet controlled by fates strings? Bai, killing myself nao.
>>
>>735332826
When i was a teenager in early 90s it was an achievement to be able to watch porn on a vhs tape. Today, even my grandpa can fap to loli on his smartphone. Things change but if you find something to keep your interest, you keep finding reasons to live.
>>
>>735332367
Seriously, did that shit really happen?

I knew a girl that died for 4 minutes or something. She remembers or experienced nothing.
>>
>>735309026
lmfao you're using a ref link trying make some quick bucks
>>
>>735334053
>How the fuck can a quark exist if quarks can't be created
Simple. You don't create quarks. Quarks exist.

>just because we don't know how to make something, today, with our current knowledge, that it can't be made
You get hung up on that bit and stop there, not going any further with anything I've typed, which shows you're not really understanding what I've typed. Stop going there.

To prove the point using your own self: tell me how the big bang happened. Tell me how it happened, and tell me what happened before it. Explain the process in which energy was, created. Explain how energy was created. Explain what created it.

There are at least three ways you can go with this, and parroting back
>just because we don't know doesn't mean we can't
missing the point entirely.

>>735334163
Fair, but given the replies and the sentence above that one, the context would've made it less easy to confuse.
>>
>>735307307
you are basically attempting to quantify an unsolvable problem because infinity is just that; infinite and unquantifiable. but nice try
>>
>>735332506
Can you point me to somewhere anon? I really don't believe this, but I've also never come across anyone who said it was true. It's always been one of those myths. Like "Beyonce and JayZ are gonna have one helluva singer".
>>
>>735334450
Not sphere. Read orbital theory.
>>
>>735334520

If your entire memory was erased. You wouldn't be able to do much of anything. Speak, walk, eat, take a dump. You'd be like a newborn baby.
>>
>>735334965
Not my entire memory just from the time I woke up today until the whole memory erasing. In other words, I would still know everything I had known before up until I woke up.
>>
>>735333201
Are you fucking talking about turning wood into heat energy? Because there's losses there, and nothing is created, just converted.
>>
>>735334965
I meant only the memories i had after waking up, not before.
>>
>>735333464
I think you're right.

Good debate anon.
>>
File: 1482781423490.jpg (41KB, 526x526px) Image search: [Google]
1482781423490.jpg
41KB, 526x526px
>>735307307
Once I had a very vivid dream. So vivid that I remember it to this day in almost every detail. It was about two brothers in medieval times searching for the fountain of youth. An old woman offered to guide them but led them into a swamp with a mist so thick you could barely see two feet in front of you and scummy black water that could kill you if it touched your skin. She held one brother under water and dropped some water down the other's back. She claimed to be a herald of 'the Destroyer', which then jumped several thousands of years into the future. Humanity has explored the stars and eventually pinpointed the exact centre of the universe. To the naked eye it looks like an empty point in space where all light bends around it, but to every scientific instrument there is no data to be recorded. An astronaut is then sent to investigate this empty point, putting his hand inside. Nothing happens. But several moments later a loud, bass like note is sounded and everyone in all of creation can hear it, and a second later they can see this massive black hole in the sky. Strangely it looks the exact same size, about the size of the sun, on every planet no matter where you are. It only takes a few seconds but the whole universe is pulled into this black hole. Some time later a new universe is spat out, but the interesting part is that this has happened an incalculable amount of times, and every person that has died or was consumed lives on in their own personal heaven or in their happiest memories. Every so often you get this feeling that something is off, but you go back to being happy for all eternity. This being, this 'Destroyer', has done this and will continue to do this for all of time.
>>
>>735307307
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zUPTPlkqDg
>>
>>735334133
kek

>I can create energy from nothing
>how?
>I use this device (that requires energy) to assemble it from it's surrounding uh...
>,,,
>>
>>735334858
https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/intelligence

I really trust nih. Understand what theyre getting at here is it isnt "just genetic" which is the consensus. Environmental factors are extremely important but genetics definitely plays a role.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/10/genes-dont-just-influence-your-iq-they-determine-how-well-you-do-school

Found this for you but seems iffy to me. Genetica influence personality a lot. But discipline and understanding the importance of study is definitely environmental. Its definitely too optimistic on the genetic side.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beautiful-minds/the-heritability-of-intelligence-not-what-you-think/

....know what? Im.quoting you empirical knowledge i had 10 years ago.

Psychology is a fast advancing field and just now trying to find new evidence to show you... Seems things have changed a bit.

Genetics are still important in a few things but it seems culture and upbringing is starting to show strong evidence of a much, much more environmental and cultural influence.

So.... Ehhhh we learned something together.
>>
>>735334520
I'm always intrigued by that experiment where they open dude's cranium up and stimulate an area of his brain that makes his arm raise. He always thinks that he raised his arm from free will.
>>
>>735307307
We are what we hear, see, feel and conceptualize that we are. Anything else doesn't really matter because we'll never know otherwise
>>
>>735334450
>What? What sides? It's a sphere. You're full of shit.
kek looks like someone failed Organic chemistry
>>
>>735336259 That was a real experiment? If so, fucking creepy..
>>
>>735334931
Well, ok. Still no sides. Why is CO2 stable when only 2 "sides" are taken up?
>>
>>735336259
Patients with lacerated brains are interesting too.
>>
>>735334450
You actually sound incredibly stupid but ill highlight one thing

>elements cant replicate

But collections of elements IE chemicals do. Which is what i clearly said. The chemical collections of life possible through the complex and diverse bonding ability of carbon replicate themselves. Not the carbon itself.

Protip. You are a collection of chemicals. You replicate. Get it?
>>
>>735336221
I'm fucking reading up because I've never thought this. This is intriguing.

Then again, I never believed that "alcoholism was a disease" bullshit until I went to DUI school and saw that experiment with 2nd generation rats being alcoholic at birth.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>735336945
This
>>
>>735336221
samefagging

This reminds me of the Freakonomics thing... Who had better grades? a)girl with lots of books but didn't read b) boy with no books, or c) boy with no books but went to the library all the time.

Had to do with that "First 5" horseshit. I believe it's more like "First 3", and that buying your 6yr old an accordion won't make him a musician. You have to stimulate him.
>>
>>735328531
indeed
>>
>>735337320
I could agree with that. I'm a good singer, but that's because I remember my early childhood was full of music and my mother sang almost every day. I wanted to emulate her voice so I too sang almost every day.
>>
>>735328545
slightly more comforting
>>
>>735334053
>>735334757
So here's one of the answers, seeing no response.
>Noether's theorem
If a system has a continuous symmetry property, then there are corresponding quantities whose values are conserved in time. In other words, Energy is our measure of constantness of relative flow of time. Energy is the constantness, the property of something in the universe, which cannot be created, which cannot be destroyed. Only the rate of constantness can change. The property of constantness is then only convertible, not creatable, because you cannot create something like that. It doesn't exist to be created, it isn't a thing in nature so much as a quality of nature in action. Throw in concepts like supersymmetry, quantum uncertainty, and the idea that the universe is a closed system and therefore a zero-energy system, and the picture paints itself.

What you really needed to be asking, is
>what is time
because presuming a big bang while suggesting that "energy was created" is then putting forth the notion that nothing like energy existed before it, thus nothing like time existed before it, thus, you couldn't have an open universe anymore. Because if "energy came from outside of this universe", from wherever, then it wasn't created when this universe was created, which makes hard the notion that the universe was even created
>if the universe is everything including phenomena
when time can come from the outside to enable energy to exist within the universe.

Fuck.
>>
>>735307307
Infinite doesn't mean the Universe doesn't have an end. It just means that it's moving at a faster rate then we could ever measure. So it has an end, but we'd never be able to "catch" up to it to see what's there.
>>
>>735336417
>>735336486
True story. I've seen it before, but I recently saw it on that Unknown Mysteries-type show with the old guy from Fringe.

Makes you wonder if we actually control things, or just rationalize what's happening to us.
>>
>>735335774
What in the fuck is this? I fucking love this
>>
>>735337606
You can't tell me what I can't do
>>
>>735336400
You mean that class where you learn to create elements and evolution is based on how well your body can create it's own carbon?
>>
Neat thread, I like to look at edited space pictures to cope with the madness
http://spacetelescope.org/images/archive/zoomable/
You can choose the "zoomable" option on the right side after you click on a picture, to view it in full size
>>
>>735337602
>what is time
time is a tool used by man to stay organized. what "time" it is is judged by the patterns of certain things
recognize that time doesn't actually exist and merely helps determine/predict patterns.
>>
>>735328794
but how did that energy that "has always existed" get there? was there no start point?
>>
>>735337606
just because things apart of the universe are moving, does not mean the universe itself is moving. unless you mean moving through time ten i suppose
>>
>>735337774
Actually I majored in evolution and epigenetics in college. Its not a complex thing to understand, it just has a lot of components to it
>>
File: 1490572159396.jpg (31KB, 502x432px) Image search: [Google]
1490572159396.jpg
31KB, 502x432px
>>735336945
>it encouraged other atoms to form seperately the same way it was arranged
>You are the ultimate result of replicating carbon
>>
>>735337941
>was there no start point?
sadly a question us mortals will likely never have an answer to
>>
>>735337884
I don't like you. I don't like you at all. When I say time, I don't mean a rock you can find in nature. I mentioned
>a quality of nature in action
and things that are scalar.

I'm not even asking what time is.
>>
>>735336449
Two types of bonds:
Either 4 sigma bonds or 2 pairs of sigma-pi bonds (double bonds).
I agree, no sides to carbon but i think anon was just trying to make it easy by saying 4 sides instead of talking about 4 valence electrons.
>>
>>735337320
No problem. I also appreciate you challenging me. I wouldnt have learned the change in evidence if you hadnt. Cheers, sir.
Thread posts: 264
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.