[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /b/ feel about Buddhism

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 7

File: 612siddhartha.png (76KB, 300x402px) Image search: [Google]
612siddhartha.png
76KB, 300x402px
What does /b/ feel about Buddhism
>>
>>735230602
Better than western religion
>>
>>735230602
I'm a follower of Buddhism, I feel it's a good moral compass in my life.
>>
>>735230602
It's for fags
>>
meh
>>
>>735230661
This.
>>
>>735230602
i've got the desire to call OP a faggot
>>
Best when combined with Christianity
>>
File: donald-trump-young-31.jpg (74KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
donald-trump-young-31.jpg
74KB, 400x400px
>>735230691
Do you meditate?
Could you walk me through the mindset
and tips for performing a good meditation?
>>
There is only one god and that is the holy spirit smh
>>
>>735230602

I've been a practicing Buddhist for the past 4 years. It's really helped with my depression and anxiety
>>
It's Jainism for pussies
>>
>>735230915
fuck off cancer
>>
>>735230915
Buddhism doesn't even have a god lol
>>
I follow Buddhism. It's pretty cool. What sect did you consider / want to know about?
>>
>>735230602

I'm interested in Zen.

The bareness of it is striking you know? No scriptures or dogma, no set rules, just awareness and reflection.
>>
Only good for helping you accept death, and die comfortably if you follow it to its logical end. Weak shit for people who have given up.
>>
>>735230602

Ashadu allah ilaha illallah

Ashadu an muhammad rasulallah
>>
File: 1469980745698.jpg (18KB, 183x183px) Image search: [Google]
1469980745698.jpg
18KB, 183x183px
>>735230602
>Buddhism ?
>>
File: 1494327270770.jpg (13KB, 183x183px) Image search: [Google]
1494327270770.jpg
13KB, 183x183px
>>735231324
>Loghism !
>>
>>735231070

Zen is a practice of skill / compassion based Buddhism. I respect them a lot. Look into the Four Pillars of Zen.
>>
>>735230602
I can't get into the spiritual aspect of it but I do like the philosophy and believe that everything in the universe is connected in one way or another.
>>
File: JajO7.gif (416KB, 245x182px) Image search: [Google]
JajO7.gif
416KB, 245x182px
>>735230602
Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity, Catholicism, Scientology, Atheism... it's all good. As long as you ain't muslim.
>>
>>735231377
>four pillars
You invented that fourth pillar?
Its three pillars of zen
>>
>>735230602
Inferior to Hinduism in almost all respects. Was only necessary for animal protection.
>>
>>735231422

You're probably more Buddhist than most of us... Spiritual concerns are our problem. Not Guatama's.

>huehue buddhistfag
>that's me
>>
>>735231501

Lol whoops... I thought the book I saw says Four Pillars of Zen. I'm a different sect.

>Sorry
>>
>>735231600

IS Guatama's-
>>
>>735231600
Guatama is really fat, and obesity is a nations concern, why did Thailand (or whatever country he came from)
provide him with a diet?
>>
>>735230602
Mostly this >>735230661 but that isn't saying much.

Convince me that Buddhism isn't complete shit like all other religions.
>>
>>735231753
>>735231600

Gautama-. Wow. I'll go back to my cave now.
>>
>>735230661
>>735230797
weeaboos gtfo

all religions have popular magical bullshit versions practiced by laity and more heady philosophical versions seen in monastic writings. See: desert fathers, spanish and german mystics, contemplative christianity, meister eckhart, thomas keating, thomas merton, et al
>>
>>735231036
it has entire realms of "gods"
>>
>>735231490
what about sufism?
>>
>>735231773
guatama was handsome, normal to thin. downright skeletal during his early days starving himself. the fat guy is a chinese monk.
>>
>>735231211
ok tyler durden.
>>
>>735232118
that is hinduism, you spass
>>
>>735231900
Fuck off, when's the last time you heard about a buddhist trying to blow up an abortion clinic?

Never, because they don't do that shit
>>
File: 1496606519939.png (222KB, 552x388px) Image search: [Google]
1496606519939.png
222KB, 552x388px
>>735231490
Quite the opposite
>>
>>735232543
Nah, they just release sarin gas on Jap subways.
>>
great for experiencing a euphoria, or "nirvana", just realize that your problems haven't changed or gone away... you still have to deal with them.

also if you want material success it isn't really compatible.

meditation can be a good way to practice control and guidance of thoughts which is very useful, though there are other philosophies and books outside of buddhism that talk about stress and task management.

in my experience its best when used as a tool. completely losing your self into a state of nirvana beyond all wordly desires and responsibilities is great for relaxing but should be used in moderation unless you plan to become a monk
>>
>>735232406
nope

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desire_realm#God_Realm_.28Blissful_State.29

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deva_(Buddhism)
>>
>>735232543
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_violence
>>
>>735230602
the only good religion as it's not concerned with any phony gods or rituals; it's all about the mind
>>
>>735231036
it says that god is irrelevant to enlightenment, not that there isn't one
>>
>>735230602
>be me
>be before google
>be 14
>be depressed little closet case faggot
>find book about buddhism
>read about it
>go to the library and read every book they had on the subject
>turn 15
>decide I'm buddhist
>find a buddhist temple about 5 miles from me
>start going there after school and the weekend
>mom finds out I've been going to the buddhist temple
>tells me I can't go and I'm not a buddhist
>graduate highschool
>disappear off to a monastary
>come back 5 years later
>>
>>735232962
That was a death cult, not true Buddhists. The difference is that Western religions actually teach violence and intolerance in their holy scriptures.
>>
BRING MATHIS BACK
>>
>>735233063
bullshit, rituals are huge in buddhism. spend a day with any random peasant in SE asia. westerners only know the philosophical form because that's what they find in barnes and noble. those books are written by monastics, laity are still superstitious as fuck.
>>
>>735233758
>muh no true scostmen
>when christians defy the teachings of their pacifist savior and commit murder it's because western religion sux
>when buddhists do the same they're not real buddhists
>>
>>735234065
Buddhists don't do "the same thing." Instead of linking a blanket statement via wikipedia point out an actual instance of Buddhists committing atrocities in the name of their religion which is actually supported by the tenets of their belief.
>>
>>735234285
Because Jesus said "Go ye therefore and bomb an abortion clinic"

Sure kid. Buddhists are all saints. Every one. They're the only group free of any trace of tribalism.
>>
>>735234409
The teachings of Jesus aren't the only tenets of Christianity. There's a whole book, you should maybe check it out some time.

So in other words, you can't provide an example.
>>
>>735230602
meaningless drivel designed to control the population into nonthinking sheep (like all religions)
>>
>>735234533
I've read the whole book. Nothing in it supersedes Jesus's command to love your enemy, or turn the other cheek (which he took to the extreme by offering himself up to execution then feeling love and compassion for his executioners).

But if you can provide a verse that says we can discard Jesus's entire philosophy go ahead and provide an example.

But sure, I'll grant you there are no Buddhist terrorists or murderers. Just as there are no Muslim suicide bombers, because killing non combatants and suicide are both expressly forbidden in the quran.
>>
thank me later
>i̶f̶u̶c̶k̶t̶o̶n̶i̶g̶h̶t̶.c̶o̶m̶
>>
>>735234285
Buddha himself was a blatant bigot who believed that certain classes of people and women in general could never be enlightened
>>
>>735235895
>I'll grant you there are no Buddhist terrorists or murderers
The Dalai Lama and the Tibetan nobles used to keep the Tibetan people in a Feudal slave state by utilizing terrorism and murder
>>
>>735236298
Did you even read the entire sentence you mongoloid?
>>
>>735236336
to clarify: the point, again, is the argument is a "no true scotsman" fallacy
>>
>>735236403
It's not though, because I'm not arbitrarily redefining Buddhism to suit my argument. The violent offenders you're pointing to don't utilize the core tenets of Buddhism to justify their behavior, whereas Abrahamic terrorists do.

I've also heard the whole, "Jesus trumps everything argument" plenty of times, but since Jesus himself clearly stated that none of the old law should be abolished until essentially the end of time, it doesn't hold water for me.
>>
>>735236842
>whereas Abrahamic terrorists do.
citation needed.

the "one iota" verse is from the gospel of matthew, which was written for a jewish audience. it's propaganda to get the jews on board, you don't find that shit in luke (whose audience was gentiles). There's no mistaking the fact that Jesus was a religious reformer. That's why Christianity is a religion unto itself. If the old law was not usurped, how do you explain Peter's vision of the unclean animals, which abolished dietary restrictions?
>>
>>735237102
basically, it doesn't matter if you like the idea of the new covenant or if it holds water for you. you don't get to redefine christianity. buddhists do fucked up shit that is out of line with their religious teachings. So do christians. And muslims. And every selfish piece of shit human on the planet. Religions can't prevent people from acting out in violence, they can just advise against it (which both Jesus and the Buddha certainly did).
>>
>>735237102
>written for a jewish audience. it's propaganda to get the jews on board

Apologesis is horse shit. At least be genuine with your fucking delusion.
>>
>>735237296
Why do you assume I'm a Christian? Do you have a legitimate objection to textual criticism of religious literature or are you just whining?
>>
>>735237470
I have a problem with apologetics because its sole purpose is to twist ignorant bronze age tribal superstition to align with modern, secular progressive ideas of humanism and ethics.
>>
File: hUNAo.jpg (33KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
hUNAo.jpg
33KB, 500x364px
>>735237470
>>735237296

Hey, the two of you:
>>
>>735237640
Ok. Well I didn't engage in apologetics so why are you bitching? I'm explaining that the gospel you referenced was written by a Jew for a Jewish audience, and thus it appeals to traditonal Jewish values and is even more concerned than the other texts with providing an air of continuity with the older traditions.

Do you deny that Jesus was a religious reformer? That the gospels do not change the structure of Judaism?
>>
卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍
it's everywhere where i live. they have ceremonies on top of the mountain by my house.
pretty cool, they bless fruits and you get to eat them. then hey play instruments and chant people's names and addresses to bless their house.
love it.
卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍卍
>>
>>735230602
probably the best religion
most of the articles of objection people post here (even if they are edu) don't encapsulate what Buddhism really is, not even I could.
>>
Buddhism is nothing but hippy horseshit. It is a deception created by the Mad God Yaldaboath to trick you into thinking you somehow work your way out of the prison he has trap you in, only find out he has placed you into a more insidious prison when you accept this delusion
>>
>>735230602
I'm an atheistfag myself but I'm kind of interested in Buddhism. The two don't seem to be incompatible, and as I've gotten older (I'm in my mid 30's) I have started to see the potential benefit of having some sort of ethos for life. I wouldn't make a very good Buddhist though. I have a lot of appetites and a lot of attachment.
>>
>>735237893
You did, because the interpretation you're presenting is one that attempts to discredit the more barbaric aspects of the religion, even though it's supposedly the word of Jesus himself. The Bible is rife with contradictions, and that's one of them. Fact is, you can't discount anything in the Bible, because it's all supposedly the word of God, and as such binding in all practical senses within the context of Christianity.
>>
>>735230602
Religion is cancer
>>
>>735230736
Thread
>>
>>735234533

The murder of Rohingya Muslims by Buddhist MONKS.

/discussion. Buddhists are just as violent as everyone else. We just don't give a shit because the people they murder don't have Twitter to whine about it.
>>
>>735238309
You don't seem to know what apologetics means. We'll just be spinning in circles until you do.
>>
>>735231900
Your post has nothing to do with anything except you trying to sound cynical and intelligent. Buddhism is a fairly mild practice and if anything it's more of a life guide than a religion.
>>
>>735238749
You don't seem to be heterosexual
>>
>>735238777
in your bookstore version, the monastic version, sure. as its practiced by the majority of adherents? nah. it's heavy on magic and ritual, and often intermingled with folk religions.

don't be so butthurt. it doesn't mean you can't appreciate philosophical buddhism. you should.
>>
>>735238777
It's bullshit
>>
>>735238150
>its a bullshit religion because my bullshit religion says so
>>
>>735238749
>Christian apologetics (Greek: ἀπολογία, "verbal defence, speech in defence")[1] is a field of Christian theology that presents historical, reasoned, and evidential bases for Christianity, defending it against objections.

I don't see where I'm using this wrong, but feel free to enlighten me, oh wise one.
>>
>>735238846
>Apologetics (from Greek ἀπολογία, "speaking in defense") is the religious discipline of defending or proving the truth of religious doctrines through systematic argumentation and discourse.
I was arguing that the "one iota" verse is not true.

Literally the opposite of apologetics.

You can suck my gay dick.
>>
>>735238955
I don't have an establish religion, I just make up my own horseshit. So fuck you
>>
>>735239157
well at least you're honest. cheers
>>
>>735234285
Nice move-able goal posts there. Your post read like when Luke found out dark is his father.
>>
>>735239249
Nice use of buzzwords and pop culture references and no actual arguments.
>>
>>735239213
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22356306
>Of all the moral precepts instilled in Buddhist monks the promise not to kill comes first, and the principle of non-violence is arguably more central to Buddhism than any other major religion. So why have monks been using hate speech against Muslims and joining mobs that have left dozens dead?

literally the first google result
>>
>>735239217
Right now, I believe that the cosmos is controlled by evil mad gods who are out to fuck us at every turn. Believe me, that make a lot more sense than that Buddhist or Christian horseshit that you guys are spewing.
>>
>>735239343
what about this argument
>>735235895
>there are no Muslim suicide bombers, because killing non combatants and suicide are both expressly forbidden in the quran.
>>
>>735239514
I get what you're saying. Recently I've been looking at Kabbalah which says that everything that happens in the universe is ultimately for good and all that. To each their own.
>>
>>735239639
Does this universe look like it is ultimately for good? Be honest and look at it. Just about everything that lives survives by metabolizing the life of another living thing. We live by eating dead things, bloodshed and the murder of other living things rule the day. Predation is the rule and the norm. All living things suffer and die.
>>
>>735239913
not turtles
>>
>>735240001
Only because turtle live on sunshine, happiness and double rainbows
>>
>>735230602
Buddhist here ama
>>
>>735239913
I've accepted the fact that there is both good and evil in this world. You can choose to be a victim or you can emulate those who are influential and adopt a belief system that will allow you to rise above it (not talking about Kabbalah). I'm like you where I've taken a hodgepodge of things to make my own mixture. In the past several years I've met a handful of very happy and wealthy people who have very similar attitudes and beliefs. I'd rather adopt something that may be false and bring me happiness in my life than stay as a victim.
>>
>>735240370
Do you believe in reincarnation? If there is no self (anatman), what is being reincarnated? Karmic impulses? By what method do they persist, and stick together, and inhabit a single newborn organism?
>>
>>735240498
>I'd rather adopt something that may be false and bring me happiness in my life than stay as a victim.
That means you want to forsake the truth and entrap yourself in a delusion in order to have a false sense of freedom. The truth matters, dude. I would rather have the truth than a opiate any day
>>
>>735240627
They believe in rebirth which is different
>>
>>735240822
Let me rephrase that, I'm emulating things that have actual, real, physical, provable results in this lifetime. If that's delusion, ok.
>>
It's a good practice. It has helped me think more clearly and be more mindful of all situations. As a result of seeing things for what they are, and living in the moment, my spirit is lighter.

There are no dogmas, or you-are-going-to-hell-if-you-dont-do-this's. Objectively a better religion than shit-tier western religions IMO .... but that kind of judgement also goes against buddhist precepts
>>
>>735241215
>There are no dogmas
And the Four Noble Truth are what again?
>>
>>735241346
the four noble truths are a path to release suffering, totally optional though, and does not give you salvation
>>
>>735241436
So the Four Noble Truths and the Eightfold Path are just optional in Buddhism?
>>
>>735230602
It's for faggots and I think you should fucking kill yourelf, if you are a buddhist.
>>
>>735240908
I mixed the terms up, but same questions apply
>>
>>735241747
Reincarnation is about transmigration of the soul, rebirth is when certain conditions arise again and again and again. So in every cycle of the Wheel certain conditions arise the give birth to a person with the same karmic destiny as you but it is not necessarily you.
>>
Buddhism relies too heavily in rebirth, aka dogma
>>
I met a buddhist monk woman in China recently at a hostel. She'd been training and had gone to Thailand and and Tibet and was on her way to Malaysia and had basically been trying to 'find' herself after a marriage/family breakdown. She introduced herself by telling me the Coke (I was mixing with white wine) was full of chemicals and not to drink it. She was random as fuck but at the same time interesting to talk to.

I asked her to define her belief and her experiences in a nutshell
amd she said that it was all about breaking free from anything and everything and being at peace with yourself in every moment; basically not giving a shit and not looking back or forward and just being here and being content with this moment but not even thinking about the now just finding peace,

So i think buddhism is more about being at ease with whatever life throws at you and just disciplining oneself to accept it and find peace within it - through meditation, for example
>>
>>735242258
training i mean she'd been training to be a monk and was visiting different monasteries along the way
>>
>>735241568
if you are regular joe yes, you can still meditate and live well. if you are a monk then you choose to follow the precepts
>>
>>735230906
Sit quietly and focus on a point between your eyes behind your face. When thoughts enter your mind don't fight them and instead let them run their course. Do this for as long as you want to.
>>
buddhism is basically a form of religion more evolved than abrahamic religions such as judaism, christianity, or islam because it does not deny the ultimate meaningless of humanity and the universe, and places the spiritual progression of one's self in the individual's connection to themselves and their surroundings, and not in the name of some hocus-pocus god or saints.
>>
>>735230602
2nd only to Hinduism. It's the real deal.

>inb4 poo
Whatever you may think about Indians, they got their spirituality on point. I'm saying this as a serious meditator who's met enlightened beings. Yes, they exist. They're doing work behind the scenes to help the world. Granted, many of them don't think the world can be changed anyway and are mostly interested in helping those who want to become a buddha.

Whether you believe me or not, I want to tell you this in case there's someone out there looking for this message. Enlightenment is real. Enlightenment means realizing the truth of your being. That you are the infinite absolute soul of everything, that you always have and always will be, that you are infinite consciousness, being, and bliss (sat-chit-ananda)

When you meet such an individual who has fully awakened to this, you can feel their presence, like light pouring out of them. That light fills you and takes you into profound meditation, just like that. Like a flower blooming under the Sun. That's what happens in the presence of a buddha. That is what the OP's picture is showing.

If you read this and decide to travel the path, I wish you well. Know that if you are reading this message that you have the blessing of the buddhas that I have been with, that you have the blessing of the buddha which is the very world itself, and that you have the blessing of the buddha which is your own self.
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.