[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ask an audio engineer anything

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 2

File: audio.jpg (20KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
audio.jpg
20KB, 280x210px
ask an audio engineer anything
>>
>>734754259
You ever work with SSL boards before? Like a Duality for example?
>>
>>734754259
You really can put engineer behind anything.
>>
>>734754491
>shitpost engineer
>>
>>734754424
yes, I regularly use the SSL 6000
>>
>>734754259
Ur nothing special faggot nobody gives a fuck
>>
How did you get into the industry
>>
>>734754259
can you quickly explain the function and give me some pros and cons about sidechain technology in audio production software?
>>
>>734754943
I got into music at a really young age. I started playing the piano when I was around 6 or 7, I still do it. I also make electronic music and I went to a private audio engineering school
>>
Is room reflections what's making my guitar sound like shit in recordings?
>>
>>734754259
What do you for a living?
>>
>>734755104
Sidechaining is a compressor setting which is used to achieve a pumping effect on eg. a bass sound (at least in today's commercial usage of it).

pros and cons? well my personal opinion is that it's a cool effect. I'm guessing you just asked that to check my legitimacy lol
>>
what's it like being poor
>>
>>734755227
it could be. What microphone are you using? How large is the room where you're recording?
>>
>>734754259
What are the job oppurtunities like?

Is it good money once/if you land a job? (Relative to the time and money spent becoming qualified)

Got a mate studying it so im kinda interested
>>
>>734755227
worry about the quality of your mic and the software you're using + your actual instrument before you worry about the layout of the room.

signed not op
>>
>>734755244
I'm still in school, actually. I haven't graduated yet
>>
>>734755370
>>734755435

Using a e609 and sm57 into a studio channel pre into a sapphire pro40.
>>
>>734755275
you can do alot cooler stuff with it actually
>>
>>734755407
If you're going to private school like me, you have to be ready to make a big investment. Also, when you first graduate it's almost 100% certain that you'll have to work for free. It's all about getting experience. Once you've proven yourself, you have more chance of getting a job.

On the other hand, audio is a broad field. You can do pretty much anything you like.
sound for games, commercials, movies, etc etc you name it. It's all about what interests you
>>
>>734755407
This
>>
>>734755515
not a bad setup, mic positions are of critical importance and also how are you EQing + compressing the guitar?

what guitar are you using? if you're using the wrong pick for the strings, the wrong strings in general or the action is too low you can get some horrible sounds coming from it.

failing that if you're sure its the room you can buy cheap acoustic foam in ebay to soak up some echo
>>
>>734755515
those are decent microphones. I'd have to take a look at your setup, it could be anything. Can you describe how it sounds now and how you'd like it to sound?
>>
why get all that shitgear when all you really need to achieve a good mix and master is sausage fattener?
>>
>>734755859

Good guitar, good amps, good pickups, good new strings, good pick. At this point the only thing I can think off is there's too many reflections so I can't layer it without it sounding like shit (obviously metal guitar).
>>
>>734756084
spoken like a true FL Studio user.
>>
>>734755646
Please stop calling it a "private school" and call these institutions what they really are, spoiled rich kid diploma mills.
>>
>>734756153
make sure your mics are in phase and in the sweet spots of the cabinet.
>>
>>734754259
Do you guys actually have any fucking clue as to what those hundreds of switches dials and sliders do to audio, or do you just make it up / use about 5 of them.
>>
>>734756246
I guess you could call it that, yeah.
>>
>>734754259
Whats an audio engineer?
>>
>>734755894

It just sounds basic and home audio shitty you know? Like I got good monitors and I got good ears and when it comes to guitar it's all about the source and it just sounds shitty. I can only come to the conclusion that it's the room.
>>
>>734756331
we know what they all do.

It seems like they're a lot of them, but they're actually all the same. there's one channel strip (top to bottom) which has different switches and knobs, but then it's just repeated.

So if you know one channel strip and the signal flow to the master and auxes, you know the entire desk pretty much.
>>
>>734754259
I have a friend on VoIP who uses voice activation. Every now and then, when he starts to speak, the first half second is accompanied by a very loud sound. Almost like a surge of concentrated noise or something.

What is causing this, and how do I get his mic or computer to stop assaulting our ears? (Besides forcing him over to push to talk.)
>>
File: YOQZoj52tnrZS.gif (666KB, 245x200px) Image search: [Google]
YOQZoj52tnrZS.gif
666KB, 245x200px
>>734754594
>>
>>734756404
anything you can think of that has sound in it, it's got an audio engineer behind it.

movies, games, commercials, etc etc

also, music recording
>>
>>734756331

Usually it's EQ you're seeing on a PRE so if you got 20 PRe's on a board and you got 20 EQ's and each EQ has like 5 knobs that's 100 knobs easily.
>>
>>734756598
is it white noise? (sounds like wind) or does it have a distinguished tone to it?
>>
>>734755447
do you attend some school in London by any chance?
>>
>>734756666
Checked
>>
>>734756431
it's probably the room. Make sure you isolate it properly. also, make sure you're using the right mic techniques
>>
im a self-taught working sound engineer

learned everything i needed off you tube and now i work in the video game industry

how do you feel about going to school for something that is easily self-taught and applied?

Are you from a wealthy family who is there to support you if this falls through?

do you have any goals/aspirations as a sound engineer? have you made any albums or songs? whats your soundcloud / portfolio page?
>>
>>734755275
nice thanks. And no it's just a thing i ever wanted to understand.
Can you go a lil more technical and explain how it works? like that takes the way over the side chain and what is the actual side chain?
>>734755525
what else you teaser?
>>
>>734754259
Which compressor/limiter are the best
>>
>>734754259
What set up would you use to record foley audio.
I have heard of using two Mics, a unidirectional and a figure 8 pattern mic then merging the audio.

Is this necessary or have any real advantages over using just one microphone to record? and if so how would you merge the audio? is there a particular app to automate the process.

Using Windows and Adobe Creative Cloud.
>>
>>734756771
The amplitude is too high and the length too short for me to attribute any type of sound to it. Just pure loud crackly ear pain.
>>
>>734756987
How can you self-teach yourself recording a drum kit if you don't have the means to record it?

How can you teach yourself how to operate an Audient desk if you can't practice on one?

I have access to gear that is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I don't think you can learn all of this stuff from books/videos. You gotta do it hands-on. That's why my family has invested that money

and yes, I am working on a portfolio. I have written an essay, done multiple band recordings and I am an electronic music producer
>>
>>734757167
that's fucked. I honestly would have to take a look at the entire setup for me to identify the issue. For now, is there any way he can mute it?
>>
>>734755515
Instead of an SM57 get a Beyer M201. If a 57 were a microphone it'd be a 201

Not OP
>>
>>734757161
I have no experience with recording foley yet. I do hope to try it in the future

The advantage of using two mics, however, is that you can create a stereo image. You can merge the files together in pro tools.
>>
>>734757156
it depends on what you're going to use it for.
>>
>>734757758
for mastering the whole audio spectrum.
>>
>>734757294

I believe you were pushed to greater lengths to learn about sound engineering so i still think you made a solid choice going to school

question = Why are audient desks [ mixing consoles in general ] still used above Digital Audio Workstations?

I also practiced "hands-on" - we both spent the hours in the studio working and practicing, you probably more and in a more rigid environment however

What is your end game plan once you graduate? whats your dream position? Do you listen to good music, or just commercialized normie trash EDM & Trap

I wish you the best in your career choice, i think that if you have a vision and a drive to make it happen you can succeed
>>
>>734755275
is it just a software thing or can you actually buy a 19" master class studio sidechain?
>>
>>734757515

The 57 is standard for most of the most famous metal guitar recordings of all time.
>>
>>734757156
I use Urei 1176 and API 2500, great on everything. For bass or vocals Urei/UA LA2A, but those are very expensive and a lotta clones are just as good and much more affordable
>>
>>734754259

how do you like your job at guitar center?

let me guess, full sail graduate?

make you some "beats"?
>>
>>734757294
>I have written an essay

As an single essay? Have you only been there a couple of weeks?
>>
>>734757903
Because you still need a live room and a control room (with a desk) to record a band. You can't do that in a DAW alone.

Also, I hope to work in sound for film. Be it score composition or sound design
>>
>>734757918
no, sidechaining is a compressor setting. A compressor can be both outboard or digital, but sidechain itself is just the setting on it.
>>
>>734754259

how do you like your job at guitar center?

let me guess, full sail graduate? learn't how to make yo "beats"?
>>
>>734758116
we don't learn how to make beats. We learn everything about recording and mixing techniques, mastering, post-production, etc etc.

we don't make 4x4 kick patterns in FL Studio
>>
>>734758245

thanks for the chat, consider bookmarking this youtube channel and watch this video if your interested in film sound design :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEfQ_9DIItI
>>
>>734754259
Don't you get tired working with niggers?
>>
>>734758616
nice! I'll check that out.
>>
>>734758769
Lol. There is maybe one black guy in my school.
also, I recorded a black rapper once. He was cool.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.