[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I bought some BF-888s walkie talkies because they were cheap

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: BF-888s.jpg (26KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
BF-888s.jpg
26KB, 500x500px
I bought some BF-888s walkie talkies because they were cheap for what they are. But I soon got bored of them. So I want to turn them into something fun.

How would I turn these talkies into a police scanner? The walkie talkies are programmable via pc. I know crap all about walkie talkies.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (115KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
115KB, 1920x1080px
Here's a screenshot of the programming software from youtube. If it helps at all.
>>
What frequencies do they use? And have you looked up what frequencies your local cops use?
>>
you need at least 1 friend to play with walkie talkies.
>>
>>734477807
this. your parents can only take so much walkie talkie talk
>>
>>734477807
Fuck you. I'll use these walkie talkies to call in an air strike on your fat ass.
>>
>>734477776
I haven't checked yet. And no, but I can easily find out. Would it just be a case of finding the frequency, then adding it to a channel? That'd allow me to listen in, right?
>>
>>734477386
You just need to know the frequencies for your local channels. If you have a volunteer fire dept. they would know the local channel frequencies
>>
>>734478326
in most cases its not illegal to own a scanner or listen to police frequencies.

it is illegal however, to use any information you hear on the scanner for the perpetration of crimes
>>
>>734478443
It's that simple? Damn I imagined myself having to hack NASA or some shit.
>>
>>734478540
I'll check my region's laws. Thanks for the Info
>>
>>734478562
they are open channels anyone can listen in. my grandfather always has one on in his garage.
>>
Radio reference.com
>>
>>734478623
you'll probably find that most police departments have moved on to digitally encrypted channels these days. but you'll still get ambo's and maybe fire trucks.

funny thing, my stereo must have been too close to an antenna port near the wall in my old apartment, i'd be listening to some sick tunes and randomly get radio chatter, not well enough to understand the words, but enough to tell it was some official channel.
>>
>>734478693
I've been listening to all 16 channels on these for the past week. Only heard a brief conversation between truckers arranging an orgy or something. No police yet.
>>
>>734477386
As most public services use trunked radio or digital radio you need to use the following method to listen into Police using those BF888s

1. Leave the house
2. Find 2 friendly cops
3. Give one BF888 to each cop
4. Ask them to converse
5. Listen in using another BF888

You're now listening to Police radio.
>>
>>734478848
damn
>>
>>734478920
You're creative. I like that.
>>
>>734478920
kek
>>
>>734479072
I know right? I might actually follow through on that plan.
>>
Make it the detonator on a IED or s vest and kill yourself for buying hand held radios in 2017
>>
File: yaesu_ft847.jpg (31KB, 450x205px) Image search: [Google]
yaesu_ft847.jpg
31KB, 450x205px
You're wasting your time, most police traffic has moved to an encrypted signal and you wouldn't be able to make out what anyone is saying. But if you're board I'd say you need to look at your local testing facilities and get your Amateur radio license, there are 3 different ones.
Tech - Easy 2meters
General
Extra
Each one gives you more bands to talk on or practice cw all around the world.
pic related.
>>
>>734479186
To be honest, I don't really consider myself part of the social norm anyway. I live to explore and experience. Not to serve the social hierarchy. Sorry, but if I want to buy some radios, I will you fucker. Besides, these are convenient in more than one way. Can't rely on WiFi when the aliens come ;)
>>
>>734478848

Any wire is an antenna. If it is the right length to be resonant on a frequency used by officials it will pick up a signal. Trust me, I'm a General class licensed amateur radio operator.
>>
>>734479326
What price are we looking at to get a decent setup?
>>
Is getting a CB car mounted radio even worth it nowadays? I live in Florida and I can kinda see having a CB radio being useful for hurricanes and an shit.
>>
>>734479640

Current solar weather means propagation on the CB frequency band isn't that great.
>>
>>734479621
it really depends on what bands you want to talk on.
Like if you just wanted to talk to people within a few hundred miles of you, 2meters you could get into for under 300 dollars, you can make a antenna out of dog fence wire and some coax. But moving into 10 meters you can neraly talk to anyone but the cost for the equipment is more, like the radio in the picture can pretty much broadcast on all bands but its about $1200 on ebay, its a expensive hobby and there is a lot to it.
>>
just buy an SDR
>>
>>734479621
>>
>>734480333

Nice trips. Is this your shack?
>>
you're retarded, there are free phone apps that act as police scanners.
>>
>>734480408
No, not mine but its a good example on a decent setup, You've got two radios in the center. Some amplifiers, a set of cw paddles, an antenna tuner from mfj , a signal filter etc.
>>
>>734480553
You're retarded, the apps don't actually do the scanning.
>>
>>734480553
This is a joke right?
>>
>>734480686

I have swap meet gear but I still have fun. Trying to build a battery box for my HF rig at the moment.
>>
>>734480333
My dad was obsessed with radios and all that crap. Our house was loaded with all types of gear and random things. Some of it is still at that house, shoved in the attic. Would it be worth trying to salvage some?
>>
>>734480927
Hey as long as your out there operating man, my pops just took his rig on his sail boat and is running the entire thing off a single solar panel, Hes sailing from Virginia around florida and going to stop in West Florida.
>>
>>734481102

Put it on eBay. Somebody would buy it.
>>
>>734481102
Maybe? Does it mean anything to you? If so plug it up and listen, If you're unlicensed don't talk, you probably won't get in trouble if you do but the FCC does enforce their rules. You would be surprised what people chat about on there.
>>
>>734481240
Thought about it. But it's not really mine to sell. Not that my dad would mind. I mean, he left to get a pack of cigarettes 27 years ago.
>>
>>734481340

In my area CN87 people talk about nerdy stuff or being in the army. No normies on the bands here.
>>
>>734481340
I was young when my dad was at the peak of his radio-fun. I used to try to stealth into his garage and listen in. Pretty sure he was part of some cult or something. He was so secretive about it all. That or part of a pedo ring.
>>
>>734477386
You know there are phone and pc scanner apps right?
>>
>>734481575
Yes I do. Their existence doesn't mean they work though. Pretty sure they just relay old comms
>>
Okay guys. I'm willing to go all out. Tell me how to fully pimp these shitty talkies. Anything fun I could do? Modifications?.. ect
>>
File: arg-sstv-md5-fragment.png (252KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
arg-sstv-md5-fragment.png
252KB, 320x240px
>>734481498

EM60 here, theres a bunch of exnavy here, but a lot of locals use SSTV to send pictures back and forth, I was so use to hearing sstv that when I was playing portal 2 I heard it and sure enough they had hidden a picture on the game.
>>
>>734481808
Fuck that's cool. Sstv on VHF/UHF?
>>
File: therideneverends.jpg (79KB, 386x336px) Image search: [Google]
therideneverends.jpg
79KB, 386x336px
>>734480333
>Ham radio
>4chan before the internet.
>>
>>734477386
you can program it for Fire and EMS
source: I'm a firefighter
>>
>>734482661
BBS's
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.