[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best programing language and why is it C++?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11

File: logo-sun.jpg (20KB, 360x193px) Image search: [Google]
logo-sun.jpg
20KB, 360x193px
What's the best programing language and why is it C++?
>>
java bc yes :v
>>
>>733933757
if i start learning to program now, could i get a job without a degree?
>>
>>733933757
HTML
>>
>>733934747
Make ransomware and just post dl links everywhere ??? profit.
>>
>>733933757
java is best right now interms of market
but if u learn c++ thats one of the hardest languages on the market so learning java, and others wont be to hard

C++ is like a manual car
java is like an automatic
>>
>>733934747
yeah, but you have to be really good. And if you start programming: Don't start with C++. Start with an easier language like Java or Javascript.
>>
File: 1495858556311.png (94KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
1495858556311.png
94KB, 500x373px
>>733934747
yes but proving you are up to par will be alot harder
>>
fuck i love strictly typed languages like c++
>>
>>733933757
Perl
>>
Can someone explain to me what es6 is?
>>
>>733934985
>>733934893
in other words to truly be successful i need that damn degree, kinda sucks. i dont want to drop thousands of dollars and 3+ years to learn something i could learn for free in under a year

Also, whats the average starting pay? it really has to be worth my time to invest, i'm currently sitting at 40/hr
>>
>>733935361
dont pay people to teach you programming. instead, just write a program that solves a need which people will buy.

just look at the want ads for programmers and you'll see that unless you have a decade of experience in a language that isn't taught at uni you're unlikely to get a high paying job as a programmer. why? because universities the world over churn churn churn out fucking graduates but only in a few select languages - all dem mudda fukkas are competing for jobs with those languages as prerequisites.

join lynda.com and watch the stuff from Simon Allerdice, that dude will teach you everything you need to know.

keep doing your $40/hr job, thats pretty strong these days. take babby steps in programming. work towards writing your first mobile app that solves a need or helps people. make your shit robust. have a long term goal and ur first app should fit into your long term strategy.
>>
File: 1495547223450.jpg (270KB, 596x842px) Image search: [Google]
1495547223450.jpg
270KB, 596x842px
>>733933757
C++fag here, can't agree more.

Nearly all the other languages are only popular because of Moore's law being too OP.

Cut my teeth in C, then C++, best decision I ever made. I pity the newfags that start with Java.

>>733934885
C++ code is like the manual car you rebuilt and have to know every intricate part of. When you turn the key, you pray it starts and doesn't die in the first 5 seconds... but when it does get going, it positively roars. C++ has the potential to be the '67 shelby you proudly show off.

Java is the fully loaded automatic Hyundai minivan with a bunch of Indians riding around in it. Has adaptive cruise control (because you don't even have to pay attention when you drive, just barely keep it between the lines), a TV in the center console to keep them distracted, power doors because they don't even know how to use a handle, and over 9000 other useless gimmick features you will never use (like those transformers style seats that fold into the floor.... wtf?)

Python - kek @ interpreted languages being used for anything other than scripting.

html - you are not a real dev, stop pretending

All other languages - a waste of time and needless fragmentation
>>
>>733933757
Traditionally, there are two main criteria used to grade the quality of a programming: usability and inefficiency. C++ scores low on usability but very high on efficiency. Java scores about average on both. Python scores very high on usability and low on efficiency. Those are my top three.

There are of course other criteria to consider depending on the intended use of said programming language, but I think for a general statement regarding the best, those top three are about as good as you'll get.
>>
>>733936552
I'd be interested to know what you think of my learning path: batch > vbscript > html/css/javascript > php > perl > python > ruby > java > C++

I personally think ever touching vb script was the biggest mistake of my professional life, but I was only 13 at the time.
>>
File: g-side.png (260KB, 498x1480px) Image search: [Google]
g-side.png
260KB, 498x1480px
Programmers on suicide watch
>>
>>733937606
oh, I forgot about AS2 and AS3 after javascript, I think because of the pain
>>
>>733937749
odd, I taught myself to program in middle school because it seemed like the closest thing there was to magic.
>>
>>733937749
dumb. its like ridiculing professional athletes saying they'd be too dumb to do anything else

C++ programmers are wizards and their detractors am fek jelly
>>
>>733936552
Nigga python can be compiled.
>>
>>733936552
I agree and to a certain extent.
C gives a great baseline. Assembler even more so. C++ is incredibly useful.
But what you forget to preface, if you want to get into business IT, J2EE is where its at at least currently. Build, testing tools, frameworks,ect are fairly robust.

I mostly do fpga vhdl stuff in digital signal processing. But on a few of our embedded machines, its usually c++ running linux.

If you wana be an engineering fag go c++.
If you want to do nothing all day in business IT learn j2ee.
If you want to be super valuable at least right now, learn fpga design, VHDL, Verilog, assembler, and some signal processing.
>>
>>733933757
Common Lisp > Everything

C++ fucking sucks you guys are retarded
>>
>>733938426
Power electronics? On the DSPs
>>
python > every other language

easy to learn, easy to modify, easy to read, its just good fuck you fuck c and c++ this isn't 97' nigga get with it
>>
>>733938523
>Common Lisp > Everything

Common lisp had a lot of important ideas first.

That said, it's fucking horrible. Working in an image is bollocks. The syntax isn't horrible, but the names are all horrible and 40 years out of sync with what everything else is doing. A-lists are fucking horrible and it uses them fucking everywhere because everything can be a list but THAT DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD ACTUALLY FUCKING MAKE EEVVERRRYYY TTTHHHIINNNNGG AAA FFFFUUUCCKINNGG LLLIIIIIISSSTT

It's shit.
>>
File: PythonMasterRace.jpg (114KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
PythonMasterRace.jpg
114KB, 1366x768px
I don't know what syntax is
>>
>>733938792

> how you write it down

as opposed to semantics

> what that shit means
>>
>>733934684

that's right because I want to load a resource heavy mother fucker even just to output one line of text
>>
>>733938961
no, how you write is called orthagraphy. syntax is how units are assembled into statements. pragmatics are what those statements actually mean, as opposed to the sum of their parts.

source: im a computational linguistics major
>>
>>733938654
wow excellent bait anon. you come across very convincingly as a complete retard.

cat + 12 = 'opps I'm so sorry our engineers are working to fix the problem!'

Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself. Kill yourself.
>>
We all know the best is Matlab
>>
>>733939069
AJAX
>>
>>733939140

> linguistics major
> no longer able to parse common english
>>
When you learn c++ you must learn to use spaces instead of tabs when coding. It's the best practice.
>>
>>733939344
Don't get me started. My native speaker assumptions used to be incredibly accurate. Now everything sounds possible to me...
>>
>>733939400
Or you know, have your IDE replace tabs with spaces automatically like a normal person.
>>
>>733936552
noob web dev here...
I always figured C languages were for writing programs and applications, java and javascript were geared more towards mobile and web, respectively. or am i way off there?
>>
>>733937749
not to be gay or anything, but the vast majority of the dudes at the code school i went to were super good-looking, fit as fuck, and obviously highly intelligent. felt like i was at some kind of eugenics club
>>
>>733939625
way off, as C languages can be used for the same things as Java (including mobile development).

The difference is in how the language is compiled (turned into machine code). Java only compiles it half way, and relies on a program to turn that into machine code. This means that any machine with java installed can run java programs even if they weren't compiled for that machine. C and other languages however simply compile straight to machine code, and so need to be compiled for each machine it's built for before being distributed. That's the largest difference at least.
>>
>>733939625

Java can write anything, but it eats memory like a fucking fat man at an all you can eat joint.

C++ generates the best code, which is why games us it, but if you fuck up somewhere it can explode in completely unrelated parts and have no evidence how it happened. Compile times take forever because it's generating hundreds of thousands or millions of temporaries and function variants and class specializations that are then stripped back out in optimizations. But what's left is fast as fuck.

C is like C++, but no magic. It can still fail in mysterious ways, but it's usually easier to see through the code to know what assembly will be generates.

> some people see through C++ as well
> john carmack is a terrifying motherfucker

Python is slow as balls, but easy to read and write, generally lacks surprises, and gives easy to trace messages on error.
>>
Qt is the best programming language.
>>
>>733939913
but you didn't go to a public school in america
>>
>>733938273

What efficient compiler exists? Even jit pypy, the fastest implementation I use, is dog slow compared to actual compiled languages.
>>
>>733939944
Yah thats one some difference man, but you forget about memory allocation which is fine for certain applications, but embedded machines care about that, some VM with borderline unlimited memory doesn't care.
>>
>>733939944
thanks for that, explained way better than my instructors. but i guess it kinda seems like java would be the best choice if you're going for web dev... unless c has some advantages there i haven't heard of? (getting close to having to make a decision of whether i focus on C or Java for the next 2 years, so any info would be much appreciated. I'm trying to go web dev, front and/or back end)
>>
Lisp and Prolog are all I use
>>
>>733934799
>html
>programming language

lol
>>
>>733940583

Learn both, dummy.

> also learn lisp, haskell, prolog and SQL to be well rounded in the art
>>
>>733940583
For web development your best bets are javascript, php, ruby, and maybe python. Java is a terrible option, and C/C++ is only good if you need to make large scale back end applications for things like MMOs.
>>
>>733935361
That's 80k a year nigga, you got a solid job already
>>
File: 1495587402253.jpg (56KB, 640x632px) Image search: [Google]
1495587402253.jpg
56KB, 640x632px
>C
The father of all languages, very complex, especially for large projects, very powerful if you know how to use it right, if you do not understand the computer architecture stay the fuck away from this, you'll hurt yourself and you'll hurt others.

>C++
Probably one of the most powerful object oriented programming language, if you need access to lower levels and you know what to do this is your language. Consider other languages for simple projects and gui projects (no, qt is generally more expensive to code than other languages).

>Go
Emerging language, extremely powerful for concurrency, consider using this for API services.

>HTML
If you want to web design do not consider any other programming language but HTML.

>C#/Python
Useful for quick projects, tools, python can be extremely powerful if you know how ro use it, C# can be very good to see for GUI apps.

>Electron+JS
If you want to build a desktop application with a nice interface this is how to do it, you can use c++ and other languages for libraries.

>Java
Absolute garbage, stay away from this shit and do not ever think about learning this if you are not forced to. Many will claim this is the best language because they do not know any other language. This spaghetti language has so many bugs that you will see new critical CVE opened every week, fuck who use this non-secure garbage language. P.s. RMI is absolutely shit, if you are you using it consider killing yourself.
>>
>>733935361
Honestly, if you're at least content with where you are now, the time and effort, especially with the price, $40/hr is good if you work full time.
>>
>>733940731
I already did, I'm >>733937606
I started out hacking networks, went into web development, then decided to take programming more seriously.
>>
>>733940731
>>733940789
thanks guys, really appreciate it. one more thing, i've been doin some courses on udacity and learning tree, are there any other resources you know of that you think are better?
>>
>>733940898
>programming language
> HTML

> boxy-you-is-trolling.jpeg
>>
>>733935176
If you like perl, try python for a while. All the best parts of perl, without the idiotic syntactic sugar. And all the best parts of lisp, too, without the autistic parenthesis counting.

I hear great things about lua, but I know python is awesome.
>>
>>733940862
He sounds like a weak troll.
Not willing to spend a couple hundred on community college while making 80k.
>>
>>733941053
Honestly your best bet is to devise your own projects that you care about, and go to stackoverflow for help.
>>
>>733940945

qbasic > batch > vbscript > html/simple-javascript > malbolge > c++ > c > php > sql > common lisp > python > haskell > bash > node.js > erlang > lua > golang

Something like that for me.
>>
File: 1495586910168.jpg (36KB, 350x464px) Image search: [Google]
1495586910168.jpg
36KB, 350x464px
>>733941328
Why do you hate golang
>>
>>733940898
>Java
Most of Google's giant data servers are powered by that shit.
Absolute trash...
>>
>>733941447

That isn't a ranking, it's a rough order of learning. I fucking love this shit.
>>
>>733935361

Its a language based on logic. Its like saying "Well, I speak English to maybe I can teach it!"
>>
See all this faggots trying to bring water to their mills. Most languages have their own pros and cons and should be used accordingly. If you just assume a language is "bad" you are an idiot.
>>
>>733941447

And if you must know, I don't find the lack of generics awful, as I've used a lot of C and I'm used to that.

I am a little annoyed that casting between slices and strings isn't optimized in the current build. At least, not last I checked.

I understand the general difficultly they face there, but it's annoying. Especially when you want efficient api but have to cast one way or the other or provide both.
>>
>>733934684
fag

>>733934747
Yes, depending on skill.
>>733934799
Retard

>>733934885
>hes right you know

>>733935108
agreed

>>733935176
>>733941124
This as well

>>733935361
Ive seen lower numbers of 130k a year but the sky's the limit

>>733936552
Mah nigga

>>733937314
Another mah nigga, python popped my code cherry

>>733938792
lel

>>733939151
wut

>>733939542
Youre my spirit animal

>>733939625
see>>733939944

>>733940050
java is useful but youre right.

Tired of this shit already.
>>
File: 1495587948065.jpg (850KB, 1600x1320px) Image search: [Google]
1495587948065.jpg
850KB, 1600x1320px
>>733941466
Google is using custom libraries in their code because what is published by oracle is indeed trash, Google is also switching to Go/C++/Python in their backend and are planning on dropping Java in Android for the same reason
>>
>>733940898
HTML isn't a programming language
>>
>>733938654

I program in Perl to automate all my shit, cause I'm not some faggot bitch.
>>
C#
>>
File: 1495751696492.jpg (109KB, 633x778px) Image search: [Google]
1495751696492.jpg
109KB, 633x778px
>>733941489
Go is absolutely awesome in API services, we switched our entire platform to Go last year
>>
>>733941963

> masochist
> not some faggot bitch

Chosen one. Prefix it with an appropriate sigil.
>>
File: 1495588403525.jpg (39KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
1495588403525.jpg
39KB, 640x960px
>>733941763
I also do not like that comparison between float32 and float64 or different int types is not allowed, it is a little annoying while building tests, but that's a minor issue, I would like to see more standard libraries with useful functions like removing duplicates from slices or sorting maps, but the language is already really good
>>
>>733934747
yes, but if you don't have a portfolio of professional work you'll have no chance.
>>
>>733935361
you can't learn how to make professional products in under a year. no one pays people to write hello world programs.
>>
>>733942202

Coming from C, the lack of automatic type conversion is a god damned godsend. I fucking hated that shit.

So many simple errors that can be made when using signed and unsigned near each other.

Worth every manual conversion.
>>
TDD is the only correct way to code, C++ and TDD is how you create god using code
>>
First of all i want to state that i do not consider myself as a pro but i've been programming for ~6 years now and participated in computer olympiads in highschool. this is my recommendations about programming languages.
>Java
I really enjoy how the polymorphism works in this language thus i recommend Java for large scale projects. You may not agree but i prefer Java most of the time.
>C/C++
Great if you dont mind managing memory. Very efficient but too tedious to code. I only use and recommend C++ for the STL library if you are into algorithms and data structures STL is essential.
>Python
A very powerful programming language. Community is very active and it is supported by Google so it is not going anywhere soon. In my opinion the best choice for scientific computing. it has great libraries such as numpy scipy tensorflow etc.
>JavaScript/NodeJS
To be honest i have started learning nodejs 3 weeks ago so i am not particularly experienced with it. I enjoy the asynchronous aspect of the language. Similar to Python it has a great community and in my opinion it is very exciting and has promise. I cant say for sure whether it is worth to master it but i think it deserves a shot.
>>
>>733941899
im assuming he's referring to the HTML/CSS/JS pack. at least that's what i'm referring to when ever i talk about HTML. but i usually just say javascript.
>>
>>733942348
ok that makes sense. any advice? i make decent money right now but i dont want to wake up 40 years from now and still be doing this, i rather sit behind a dest and just press buttons all day. is a 4 year degree my only option? is it going to be worth it by the time i done with it? in 5 years i'll be making over 100k, can a degree in computer science match that?
>>
>>733933757
>/g/

Let me save you the trip though. C++ is a meme language. Every language is a meme. Programming is a meme. Now how about that newest model of that popular consumer electronics product, homeboy?
>>
Assembly FTW
>>
>>733942466
I used to work as CTO for a gaming company, i almost never coded in C but I coded a ton of C++ (3d programming with directx) i started working on games when directx 8 came out, I'd rather kill myself than working with that piece of trash again. You are right about type conversion, it was a nightmare for me too, but I still find it annoying sometimes when i expect floats to be casted automatically
>>
>>733942798
I do 160k a year with a meme
>>
File: 1495076685391.jpg (358KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1495076685391.jpg
358KB, 1920x1080px
>>733937606
>>733937606
I'll keep rolling with the car theme, 'cause I liked that.

batch - fetus, rode in your mum
vbscript - infant car seat, wanted to be a businessman when you grew up
html/css/javascript - your dad let you steer the car one time while he was driving, you tell all your friends you can drive a car
php - you snuck out one night and took your mum's keys, you went to pick a girl up from her house but got stuck in traffic and wound up turning back before you got to her place
perl - you crashed on the way home, had a near death experience, almost never drove again
python - learner's permit, you should be supervised at all times
java - you're 16, someone gave you a license, and a car, you are a danger to society, we all pray you don't kill people in a wreck, sometimes you drink and drive 'cause you're a teenager
C++ - You've matured. Your insurance is cheaper, driving is a comfortable thing, you can parallel park in that tight space that when you were a java kid you would have driven right past before. Keep on this path, and ascension awaits you, anon.

>>733938426
Business IT - ugh. That literally sounds like dead-end cubicle hell. J2EE is more bloated than the people who write it. Assembly I respect, and it has its uses, and I do like it, but it should not be used extensively. Assembly is for doing short things that are repeated often and are performance bottlenecks. Assembly is for drag racing, super fast in short distances.

>>733939625
C/C++/Java can all write programs and applications effectively, mobile or otherwise. Javascript is indeed web dev land. I recommend heading to Python, it's also not strongly typed so you can get into it pretty easily, from there you should graduate to Java, but DO NOT STOP THERE, get to C++ in the end, you won't regret it. It's mecca over here.
>>
>>733943119
>>>/g/ is just incredibly retarded.
>>
>>733943473
Nice pic and nice post
>>
>>733943473

common lisp - you're a masterful driver, but can only use the steering rod and think automated wipers are for sods that can't pull the wiper cord back and forth while maintaining speed

haskell - you can't drive, but upon needing to, you'll suddenly go through driving school, get a permit, a car, learn to race and then arrive on time. the car is half the size of pluto and you're not sure where the space leak is
>>
>>733943473
>I recommend heading to Python, it's also not strongly typed so you can get into it pretty easily, from there you should graduate to Java, but DO NOT STOP THERE, get to C++

Depending on what kind of programming you are interested in you should start with either C or C++. C is more suitable as a learning language, but C++ is doable.
>>
Lemp stack is about as good as it gets for web development
>>
>>733940898
>No Javascript for frontend
Are you high?
>>
>>733944347
>Python
>That whitespace tho
>>
>>733945234

I've written a lot of python, as well as C, C++ et al.

The whitespace doesn't make a difference once you're writing something.

> if you're afraid your 900 line function will get hard to follow, well, don't do that
>>
I'd say I am pretty good at Java. How hard would it be for me to learn c++?
>>
why do engineering courses start with C++?? everyone fails that shit first time. We need to begin with python or java or some shit smh
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.