[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did /b/ think of the movie "Arrival"?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 185
Thread images: 24

File: image.jpg (42KB, 696x464px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 696x464px
What did /b/ think of the movie "Arrival"?
>>
It's shit
>>
>>729781585
I loved it. Seems to get a lot of hate, though.
>>
>>729781585
boring and uninteresting
>>
>>729781585
pretty nice but ending gay af
>>
File: 1486149396705.png (307KB, 696x464px) Image search: [Google]
1486149396705.png
307KB, 696x464px
>>729781585
>>
>>729781585
It was shit. Oh, look, this writing system is circular, so now I can jump through time.
>>
Pretty decent. But the MASTER OF THE TIME plot-twist was unnecessary af
>>
>>729782490
Well not really, the whole story was about her eventually rewiring her thought process through language.
>>
>>729781838
I was actually going to do something like this, but yours is better
>>
>>729781585
i liked the idea of exploring alien contact in terms of communication. A lot of movies leap frog over this big issue using telepathy etc. Think the concept of the language being those large circular characters was interesting personally but it went crazy pretty fast after that.

Story wasn't that great but generally i think the film showed alien contact in different terms than most
>>
>>729781585
It was ok, a strong "empowered wimin" vibe to it but otherwise it was alright. Nothing too special though, it was an attempt at a mindfuck movie I guess
>>
>>729781585
It was hyped up so much that I thought it would be great, but it was only ok.
>>
>>729781773
It gets hate from people who like to feel clever. Anyone with any history in storytelling or filmmaking understands why it works so well.
>>
>>729781585
loved it
>>
>>729783884
>'empowered wimin'

I mean I guess, but you could make her a character a man and it would have made zero difference. I can't remember any scenes that were specifically showcase her as a woman.
>>
I get that it probably could have been a fine movie without the time stuff, but it would have been far less memorable.
>>
>>729784278
No it was merely a feeling I had while watching it. So many people are trying to push the "look everybody women are interested in STEM too" that now whenever I see a character in a movie that is in some form of STEM field all the protests and people shitting their pants over something I normally wouldn't give two shits about keeps surfacing in my mind.

Ironic, in an attempt at becoming "equal" they're creating more misogynists. I legitimately can't stand female characters anymore because it's forced into so many things. It isn't often something that is "showcased" as you say, it's just the ever increasing stranglehold the empowered woman meme has on entertainment.
>>
File: Dude.jpg (159KB, 1600x1201px) Image search: [Google]
Dude.jpg
159KB, 1600x1201px
>>729784071
>signed, the expert.
>>
>>729781585
Horrible movie. It would be impossible to figure out what the fuck aliens are saying. The plot is the most retarded shit anyone could make for a movie.
>>
>>729784901
Like me feeling like an expert is any different from you or any other faggot on this board.
>>
>>729781585
Smoke a big fattie before hand. Good times.Jpg
>>
>>729781585
Ok until the end which was shit
>>
It was ok. It started slow, seemed perfectly plausible until the things with the Chinese guy, though.
>>
>>729784866
Ah, okay, I can understand earn I'm not in the STEM world but I can assume it's mostly dudes, and maybe a few Asian women?
>>
>>729784866
She wasn't in STEM
>>
>>729781585
Pretty nice and intresting. It was a really good surprise the film actually is about a serious subject, and not just some random explosion movie.
>>
Story not extremely good, the end is shit, but you have to watch it, shots are just awesome.
>>
>>729785364
Chinese guys ruin everything.
>>
>>729785444
Trips confirm you're a faggot >>729784866
>>
>>729785364
>>729785538
Wouldn't the US be the first to nuke them out of orbit immediately with 100% support from the public, considering the current political climate and average american intelligence?
>>
>>729785489
> the end

I no longer believe in beginnings and ends
>>
>>729781585
Accurately portrays bitches, their stupidity and narcissism.
>>
oscar bait for cucks who think they like good film / think they're smart
>>
>>729785433
When I was taking my engineering courses there wasn't a single woman. When I was taking my Computer Science courses there were two women out of 30, and even at that they were likely taking C++ programming because it was required in many degree paths. In an actual university setting almost no women choose to go into STEM despite all of the advantages they have. My college gave $4 million in grants to "under-represented groups in STEM fields" You get three guesses as to which groups are considered "under-represented"

>>729785444
The study of linguistics falls under a subset of anthropology which is in fact a science. If she was merely a translator you would be right, but she was clearly a researcher of language.
>>
I'm surprised there isn't Rule 34 of this movie yet.
>>
File: challenger.jpg (209KB, 600x539px) Image search: [Google]
challenger.jpg
209KB, 600x539px
>>729781585
i liked it a lot. what did it for me was the twist at the end, that the entire movie was not about aliens, but about language. this "the limits of my language are the limits of my world" theme. i thoroughly enjoyed this reveal and the entire end sequence with "On the nature of daylight" playing.

have only watched it once, so I don't know how good it will be if watched again. but the one time was quite entertaining.
>>
File: 1492633977973xx.jpg (59KB, 696x464px) Image search: [Google]
1492633977973xx.jpg
59KB, 696x464px
>>
>>729785255
it is, and its funny you cant tell why
>>
>>729785947
>anthropology
A social science is not Included in STEM retard.
>>
>>729785622
Feel free to think that, but it doesn't mean you're correct. I mean feel free to live your life as a fucking retard but as I said here >>729785947 technically she was in STEM.

Also, I wasn't claiming she was in STEM so that anon was claiming something I didn't say in the first place. I said the women in STEM meme gets old after a while and you start to see traces of it everywhere after a while
>>
>>729785997
The second time is near simply because you now know that what we assumed were her memories are actually flash-forwards. It's a bit less magical the second time, but if you are analyzing it as a story it's interesting.
>>
>>729785947
Historians do research too but history isn't in STEM and neither is anthro
>>
>>729781585
Would've probably been my favorite movie of the year if not for the ending being too convenient.
>>
>>729783754
word
>>
>>729786129
Let me guess, you are a shitty-but-published author, or you work in the film industry?
>>
I thought it was pretty good but wish they had stuck closer to the original story.
Id encourage you to read the short story it's based on - it's really fantastic.
>>
>>729786178
Anthropology is the study of culture and is pretty closely related to psychology. Anthropology is considered a "soft" science, but I have yet to see anybody specify if STEM is strictly hard or soft science.
>>
I liked most of it, parts I hated. I think it was a bit unnecessarily dishonest with the scenes before the "reveal".
The premise is true but taken to an impossible absurd, language can expand one's ability to perceive and understand. But that don't mean some swirls can make you time travel.

There were a couple parts in the beginning that simply made no sense.

The whole notion that they could take or leave having a language expert on scene was fucking stupid. That general might have been in charge but the president would have executed him if he had forgone bringing a fucking translator. He was all like "I have too many people already." Fuck 100% of all of them. And then when she shows up, he has a team of people who answer to her, so who the fuck would they have answered to? And he shows up to her office inexplicably hostile, when it should have been more like "Guess what, you get to do the coolest thing ever!" And then they'd high five. -far more likely than how it went down.

And the question she has for her colleague when he walks out about what the definition of war is, that was utterly inexplicable. There's a whole reddit discussion on that one thing and no solid answer.

She tells a bullshit story about the meaning of the word Kangaroo, and claims it didn't matter that it was a lie, the point was valid. 1. That's retarded, but 2. That's already the llama origin story, why the fuck would she turn it into a kangaroo.

Finally the thing that bothered me the most was that this bitch could see the future, and she still manages to get divorced and still manages to break the news of her own daughter's death to her divorced husband in a manner that fucks him up deeply.
>>
shit movie
it had a nice idea of exploring how communication could work with an alien species, but the story around that is shit and full of plot holes
>>
>>729781585
>b thinks this movie is about communication

Never change /b/
>>
>>729786343
Researching isn't what makes something a science. History would fall under the study of anthropology as well assuming you are talking about human history, this is called archaeology (at least when referring to the study of physical objects and artifacts).
>>
>>729786431
see, this is why its funny
because you have no idea of what you are talking about, yet you keep talking pretending you know what you are doing
and failing miserably of course
>>
>ITT: People who didn't understood the twist

Go read a book, you lot.
>>
>>729786737
>>729786431
idiots performing a dance, in hopes to attract other idiots
>>
>>729786573
>
Finally the thing that bothered me the most was that this bitch could see the future, and she still manages to get divorced and still manages to break the news of her own daughter's death to her divorced husband in a manner that fucks him up deeply.

She was also fucking Forrest Whitaker and wanted Hawkeye out of the picture.
>>
>>729783594
Yeah. Basically make her able to see their perspective. To live through them and experience their experiences.
>>
>>729786827
>ITT: people that assumes that everyone who dislikes a dumb twist must have not understood that
>>
>>729786962
is it working ?
>>
>>729787112
this is /b/, of course it worked
>>
>>729787059
If you really understood the twist, you would understand the genius behind it and it's storytelling.
>>
>>729786178
Hey I just looked it up and guess what? 5 seconds of googling confirms you're fucking retarded. Social sciences are in fact included in STEM, here's a citation because you're a little bitch

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R42642.pdf
>>
>>729786737
If you can create an English sentence that doesn't smack of troll behaviour we can continue.
>>
A lot of people keep calling it a twist, but it's really not. It's telegraphed from the first few minutes of the film. It wasn't an afterthought added on later or anything. It makes complete sense for the story.
>>
>>729787237
now you are showing how limited you are

its not genius, its shallow and filled with plot holes
the storytelling is great, the scenes are beautiful but the story is shit
can you understand the difference ?
>>
>>729787608
This.

Fucking this.
>>
>>729786969
I think they basically just decided to steal the concept from interstellar, they felt like the exact same movie tbh.

The idea is that a step in human evolution is theorized to be the ability to move through the 4th dimension just like we can move through the 3rd at will. We can move left, right, up, and down. The 4th dimension is time, the theory is that a 4th dimensional being is capable of moving back and forth through their own lifespans the same way we can move an arm or a leg, but it doesn't really mean that the outcome of the events can be changed.

Which is strange, if you are capable of moving to different points in your own lifetime you shouldn't be able to remember anything your current self at the time you arrived did not know, so she should not have been able to stop the gook from attacking the aliens. Just found a plot hole.
>>
>>729787879
This has nothing to do with interstellar. It's based on a short story by Ted Chiang - I mentioned this earlier in the thread.
The story is way better btw.
>>
>>729781585

Its a great film. Most people agree. The other 20-30% that disagree simply can't understand it or prefer films like transformers. Best film thats been out in a while.
>>
>>729788023
Oh and he wrote it in 1998 - way before interstellar.
>>
>>729787750
The story is shit because you don't understand the theory and the symbolism being it. It's based on a psychological theory about language and how it modifies your perception of reality. Of course something like this happening can't be possible, but that's what movies are for.
>>
>>729787296
continue what ? it all started with your post filled with troll behavior, trying to belittle different opinions than yours even before they showed up
then you got butt-hurt when called on it
>>
>>729787879
Well 'steal' isn't the right word. Arrival is based on a short called "Story of Your Life" and even interstellar didn't do anything original. The idea of characters moving back and forth along their timeline is a very old concept in sci-fi novels.
>>
>>729788023
Books are always "better" because they can be read at length with a significant increase in detail. They are only better in the sense that you get more information out of them. Written information that is, and whether or not you prefer written information over visual and audio is subjective.

It might not have anything to do with interstellar but it's clear from watching the two films that the underlying atmosphere at least was similar and likely interstellar was a catalyst for creative inference during the directing of Arrival.
>>
>>729788170
I fully understand it, and have said before
your mind is so limited and infantile that you refuse to accept that someone can understand the shit you like and still dislike it
>>
>>729788402
steal is a strong word, I didn't expect a nuanced conversation on /b/ so please take my shitposting with a grain of salt.

*Borrowed a creative atmosphere from a pre-existing movie because it was effective in it's delivery
>>
>>729787261
Work on your reading comprehension faggot. NSF's definition isnt the standard, it's the immigration definition that counts since it's about jobs. There is no shortage of women in the social sciences and there are no jobs there.

Whether it is visas for foreign workers, scholarships for STEM majors, or funding for scientific research, the question of what we mean by the term “STEM” is central to the federal policy conversation. Some federal agencies, such as the NSF, use a broader definition of STEM that includes psychology and the social sciences (e.g., political science, economics) as well as the so-called core sciences and engineering (e.g., physics, chemistry, mathematics).7 Others, including the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), use a narrower definition that generally excludes social sciences and focuses on mathematics, chemistry, physics, computer and information sciences, and engineering.8 Some analysts argue that field-specific definitions such as these are too static and that definitions of STEM should focus on “an assemblage of practices and processes that transcend disciplinary lines and from which knowledge and learning of a particular kind emerges.”9
>>
>>729788285
Don't hide behind the word 'opinions'. Not everything in storytelling is subjective. People attacking something because they do not understand it is extremely common and you know it.
>>
>>729781585
Amy Adams is a terrible actress and always takes me out of every movie she is in. Other than that, film has great visuals and direction. Plot is predictable and average. The "twist" is a rip-off of a common science fiction theme seen in various other media. It is in no way "genius" as some others here are suggesting.
>>
>>729786573

you clearly didn't understand the movie. The whole point was the main character gaining the ability to speak the alien language enabling her (and possibly the rest of humanity) to stop seeing time in a linear fashion. She couldn't prevent the divorce or her daughters death, she knew that. But it was worth being able to re-live the moments that she had with her husband and her daughter.
>>
>>729788497
Or maybe you're just too contrarian to accept that the movie and it's story are good.
>>
>>729788772
dude, we can all go back and read what has been said
you pretty much said "whoever doesnt like what I like is dumb. People with useless degrees in the stuff i like say its great so its great, end of the story, /thread here mods."

nothing to do with storytelling being subjective or not
just a childish entitled brat trying to demeanor anyone who could say something he doesnt want to hear
>>
File: IMG_3916.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3916.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>729787261
>>729788633
Wow you really must be retarded to link a reference that refutes your point. I'm embarrassed for you.
>>
>>729788497

people do dislike it, but MOST people like it because it is a GOOD film. You have no taste and are in the minority that dislike it.
>>
>>729789089
you are assuming the movie and story is good based on nothing just to be contrary to me
and then wants to say Im contrarian
go on, its funny
>>
>>729788633
>it's the immigration definition that counts since it's about jobs
You want to argue over specific definitions? Cool, because using your own logic is fucking stupid. Where did I ever talk about STEM as it relates to immigration jobs as you yourself said? I did not, I was referring to women being represented in STEM at university level and in entertainment. So good job with that strawman, I can tell it took you a while to come up with it.

It depends on which field you're talking about. Are you implying that the national science foundation's definition of STEM isn't applicable? All you did was basically say "b-but not when ur talking about immigrant job markets by some obscure company's standards!" I like how you even copy-pasted a section of the PDF I linked to you that actually proves my point.

The only people who don't consider "soft sciences" in STEM are immigration control. So congratulations, if you're talking about shaking down Pedro for his job skills you would be correct. But that isn't what we're talking about and you're still a faggot, come back when you have an actual argument
>>
File: da fuck.jpg (28KB, 407x300px) Image search: [Google]
da fuck.jpg
28KB, 407x300px
>>729788993
>Amy Adams is a terrible actress
>>
>>729789021
>But it was worth being able to re-live the moments that she had with her husband and her daughter.
So the point of the movie is that she is a selfish bitch?
>>
>>729789414
I don't have to, I've already won.
>>
>>729787261
You need to read your link it says right in it that social science isn't STEM for the times that matter.
>>
>>729789021
You're clearly a fucking moron. 1. You have literally zero evidence that I didn't understand the movie from my complaints.
The only thing you are even saying I got wrong was the notion of her unable to change time.

If she couldn't change time, THEN WHAT THE FUCK WAS SHE DOING CHANGING TIME AND THAT THE THE FUCKING CLIMAX OF THE MOVIE YOU GOD DAMN FAGGOT RETARD? SHE MAKES A FUCKING PHONE CALL AND THEN TIME TRAVELS TO THE FUTURE TO GET PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR THE PRESENT.

Why couldn't you just leave it be stupid? Why do you think you're smart enough to cut someone down for no reason? You're not. You're dumb. You're pathetic. And it hurts me to have to hit you. But you need this.
>>
>>729789513
She overacts and is not believable at all. I have this problem with many actors though.
>>
>>729789349
making assumptions out of your ass to prove your own opinion
most people like justin bieber too
>>
>>729789414

he doesn't have to base it on anything. The reviews made by critics and thousands of viewings rate it as a good movie. What do you base your view on? Because it seems like you're in the wrong.
>>
>>729789337
>>729789445
Wow you must be retarded to agree with a post without actually understanding what you're reading.
>>
File: IMG_3692.jpg (191KB, 573x729px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3692.jpg
191KB, 573x729px
>>729789445
>The only people who don't consider "soft sciences" in STEM are immigration control
Not true you didn't even read the full quote from your link. Sad!
>>
>>729789573
There's nothing she can do about it. Things will play out the way they are supposed to, she can only see the things in the future and bring information from it.
It's predestination.
>>
>>729789684
Oh that's better then.
I guess people just have different perspectives like this movie.
>>
File: you_win_the_prize.jpg (34KB, 525x355px) Image search: [Google]
you_win_the_prize.jpg
34KB, 525x355px
>>729789593
>>
File: IMG_3374.gif (527KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3374.gif
527KB, 320x180px
>>729789798
>>729789445
>>
File: 1490769967219.png (462KB, 444x468px) Image search: [Google]
1490769967219.png
462KB, 444x468px
>>729789799
It's right there, you can read it too. Different people use different definitions for STEM depending on the application. The only time according to the quote you posted where social sciences would NOT be included is for analysis of immigrant jobs.

You don't deserve to use Trump reaction images, unthinking shill
>>
>>729789237
Alright man, whatever helps you sleep better tonight.
>>
>>729785641
No. No we wouldnt. The public by and large here would wanna meet them
>>
File: 2hotdogs.gif (128KB, 473x235px) Image search: [Google]
2hotdogs.gif
128KB, 473x235px
>>729789878
>>
>>729789807
>it's predestination

That makes absolutely no fucking sense.

If she can pull information from the future that she couldn't possibly know, then she can sure as fuck pull the information of her divorce and dead daughter because SHE DID KNOW in which case she can tell her husband, before they get married, or she can not ever tell him. Because she knows the future and has a choice, AS WAS THE CRUX OF THE FUCKING FILM. So not one bit of her future was set in stone. That was the whole fucking point.
>>
>>729789765
Im saying the story is shit because its full of plot holes
saying a bunch of retarded people like it, means nothing and doesnt fix any of the holes
>>
>>729781585

Loved it, I think the reason it gets so much hate is that normies just want easy going movies with no thought behind it and a lot of explosions, hence why I think the next fast and furious is gonna be a total hit. Was refreshing to not see the typical hollywood shit where its

>aliens come to earth
>attack ameriga
>ameriga saves the day
>>
>>729789618

Someone is super salty that they can't understand complex thought processes.
>>
>>729789445
Not him but he's right about which definition to use. Every major wants to be called a science since it attracts more grant money that way. Real STEM doesn't include social science infact it doesn't even really include the life sciences since there isn't a worker shortage in those fields either.
>>
>>729789573

No. She went through the torment of her daughters death and her husbands divorce to relive the other good moments they had before both events happened. She also relived those moments so she could teach the language to the rest of humanity creating world peace. If anything she unselfish.
>>
People always hate movies which involve messing with time is some way. People will pick apart time movies because of all the nuances which come with messing with time. Then it comes down to the camps which can suspend believe and then they enjoy the movie, or those that can't get around the errors which come with time and hate them.
>>
File: 123abc.png (324KB, 696x464px) Image search: [Google]
123abc.png
324KB, 696x464px
Didn't see anyone else post a clean version for people to have fun on.
>>
>>729789618
Dude, she never once changes the future. She only sees it. I think you are confused.
>>
>>729786431
Then tell us why faggot
>>
>>729790015
>Others, including the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), use a narrower definition that generally excludes social sciences and focuses on mathematics, chemistry, physics, computer and information sciences, and engineering.
Wrong again faggot
>>
>>729790188
>>729790127
>implying that shit is complex
my sides
>>
File: amy-adams-miss-pettigrew.jpg (110KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
amy-adams-miss-pettigrew.jpg
110KB, 750x500px
>>
>>729789730

nah just the assumptions of most movie critics, thousands of reviewers, and every film review website
>>
>>729786592
This
>>
File: IMG_3921.jpg (95KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3921.jpg
95KB, 640x640px
>>729790015
You really must work on your reading comprehension
>>
>>729790290
See that's the thing, I never said social sciences should be considered STEM because IMO only hard science should. But like I said it depends on which federal organization is being used as the definition for which area of interest.

And in literally anything that matters they use the NSF definition which includes the social sciences. That's why I don't see what's so hard to grasp about it, it's literally just "do soft sciences count as science to this organization" and "what does this organization control?"
>>
>>729789684
She's one of those actresses who can be good I. The right role, but I think she just gets miscast a lot. Like the Lois Lane role. It's a cool character, but not really great for her.
>>
>>729790299
>She went through the torment of her daughters death and her husbands divorce to relive the other good moments they had before both events happened.
Forcing a child to die and a man to experience the death of his child when you could prevent it is incredibly cruel.
>>
>>729785641
>current political climate

I keep hearing this. As if the election of Trump singularly altered all of America into an entirely different world. It's complete bullshit. Libs need to chill the fuck out. Nobody is pointing this out, but it seems to me what has happened is in the past 8 years liberals got into some kind of insane delusion that they were permanently taking over America and changing everything. There would never be a swing back and everything before Obama was the dark ages.

I keep reading fucking kids talk about the 1990s as if we were lynching black people and rode Mexicans to work on their backs screaming racial slurs all day long.

It's like once Trump won, liberals were caught running out the door with our nation under their arms and they want to backpeddle and act like they weren't all planning on fucking us over for all eternity. They were just getting ramped up in the universities by violently assaulting people who disagreed and tossing out every professor who stood up to them.

That old notion of democracy where opposing opinions don't lead to violence was tossed right out and they thought they would never have to be challenged again.
>>
>>729790392
she changes it. she couldnt possibly know the chinese dude telephone number at that time
>>
>>729787237
THEN WHAT IS IS FAGGOT?!?!?!
>>
>>729790629
So now you're agreeing with him wow he's right you're a retard
>>
>>729790460
which are shit
good job
eat more shit goyim, its good for you
>>
>>729790188
>Someone is super salty that they can't understand complex thought processes.

Two things newfag

I'm an old sailor. So it's kind of funny reading some kid taking a shitty movie so seriously calling me salty. Mother fucker, you don't know what salty is.

Two, if you ever do achieve a complex thought process, I'll be here. Right in this thread. Waiting for you. And I'll accept your apology.
>>
>>729790728
This guy gets it
>>
>>729790392
>Dude, she never once changes the future. She only sees it.
Impossible. It's the observer effect. Knowing the future would change the future.
>>
>>729790712
This only a psychopath would do such a thing it was unbelievably selfish
>>
>>729790099
You are almost there, but you aren't getting it. You are seeing it in a linear fashion. The point was that once humanity learns the heptapod language, none of us will see time as a straight line anymore. We can't change anything in the 'future' because the future as we perceive it doesn't exist.
>>
>>729790413
>>729790544

>Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
>Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)

>>729789445
>It depends on which field you're talking about.
>The only people who don't consider "soft sciences" in STEM are immigration control. So congratulations, if you're talking about shaking down Pedro for his job skills you would be correct.
Nice samefagging. You just repeated exactly what I said. You are legitimately retarded, you are telling me what I've been telling YOU all along. The only people who use your definition are immigrant control agencies to keep useless majors out of the country. Everybody else uses the NSF definition whether you like it or not. Personally I do not but it's still a fact and you're sticking your fingers in your ears screaming at the facts clearly staring you in the face.

If you still are incapable of seeing it after this I don't know what to tell you, you're a lost cause
>>
>>729790999
Trips confirm she was a selfish bitch
>>
>>729790796
Holy fucking shit it's almost as if he was being retarded and telling me what I already knew. Are you incapable of reading the thread? I'm agreeing with him because I AM THE ONE WHO SAID IT.

>>729789445
Read this fucking post if you still are confused
>>
>>729791033
>Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
This is NOT immigration control retard you didn't even read what you quoted
>>
>>729791005
bullshit
the movie just dont show things changing, but she did change
she looked into the future, got the chinese fucker telephone number and used it to change the outcome of things
>>
File: IMG_2035.jpg (116KB, 625x468px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2035.jpg
116KB, 625x468px
>>729791165
Wow you really can't admit when you're wrong
Yfw
>>
>>729789618

she doesn't time travel at all. She stops seeing time in a linear fashion. You clearly don't understand
>>
>>729791178
Okay mexican control AND national security, happy? It still doesn't change the fact that the NSF controls the university definition which was the fucking point.
>>
>>729790733
I think you should try and look at it like 'destiny'. As if all of the steps we take in our lives are pre-determined. She was always going to learn that phone number no matter what.
>>
>>729791311
Im not the guy you are quoting, but its irrelevant
she didnt time travel but she still changed reality
she used information from the future to change things in the present or whatever you wanna call
>>
File: 149263910207365.png (379KB, 696x464px) Image search: [Google]
149263910207365.png
379KB, 696x464px
>>
File: 1491922318936.png (152KB, 853x764px) Image search: [Google]
1491922318936.png
152KB, 853x764px
>>729791300
>Facebook tier memes
Literally fresh off reddit and 0 reading comprehension or a troll so here's another (you)

Hopefully it's the latter, but either way it's pathetic.
>>
>>729791360
Don't forget it says others in the post as well. The NSF stands alone on this and does so to get more money. That means it's NOT the right definition to use.
>>
>>729791400
she couldnt possibly learn the phone number without altering the outcome of things 1st
that is a paradox and its a huge plot hole
>>
>>729791005
There really is nothing I'm not getting. You've just contradicted yourself.
>the future as we perceive it doesn't exist
The future as SHE perceives it allowed her to change the present.
How are YOU incapable of seeing this?
If she changes the present, because of future knowledge, how can she not change the present because of future knowledge.

The movie states explicitly over and over in the narration and the dialog that she knew in advance what was going to happen, and she doesn't tell them. She doesn't do anything different. But she DID tell the Chinese, and she DID do something different with the phone call. so it was a CHOICE. Jesus baby fucking christ. I'm done.
>>
>>729791483
That's why the original story is better - it doesn't have all that BS with the Chinese guy in it. That was all added for the movie.
The story won a nebula for best novella for fucks sake.
>>
File: IMG_2031.jpg (35KB, 400x370px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2031.jpg
35KB, 400x370px
>>729791563
>>
>>729790430

Eh I didn't mean to imply it was complex, more like trying to express that it felt less retarded than your average bad neighbors flick.
I'm by no means saying its anywhere near as good as for example District 9 when it comes to nice alien sci-fi but It was more enjoyable than your average pile of shit.
>>
>>729790928

Excuse me, waiter?

I'll just have a plain margarita.

There is already plenty of salt at my table.
>>
boring and predictable
Amy Adams can't act her way out of a paper bag.
>>
>>729791204
So the movie didn't show things changing, but you are assuming they changed?

I get it, lots of movies do this. Back to the Future and stuff like that shows different possible outcomes based on choices, but this movie NEVER does. It's not just something cut for time, it's something that never happens. The Chinese never attack the ship.
>>
>>729791573
It doesn't say NSF is the only organization to use this definition, in fact it clearly states
>Some federal agencies, such as the NSF
As in the NSF isn't the only one. Not that it matters because the NSF determines who gets university funding.
>>
>>729791747
I agree, Im just picking on people that want to say whoever doesnt like the movie is dumb because they didnt understand
instead of trying to talk about why they didnt like it
nice job avoiding the bait anon
>>
>>729781585
A well-made movie with an approach to science-fiction previously unseen in cinema.
Very, very entertaining, while simultaneously giving you something to think about.

The best SF movie since Interstellar. More of those (instead of Michael-Bay-explosion-porn or similar 'SF' for retards) would be highly appreciated.
>>
>>729791683
Dude, the story is literally a out her gaining the power to see time in a non-linear fashion. She states this explicitly. You are hung up on shit that doesn't work in the narrative. Sure, it may all be bullshit magic, but it never contradicts itself based on the rules of the story.

Suspension of disbelief man.
>>
>>729789513
worst lois lane ever.
>>
File: IMG_3796.gif (891KB, 325x252px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3796.gif
891KB, 325x252px
>>729791823
High paying jobs >>>>>> university funding
>>
>>729791773
pardon me for my english, I didnt explain myself correctly I guess
I wanted to say the movie doesnt show the process of changing, but show they changed
Im not assuming anything, the movie clearly shows how she changed the outcome of a situation by looking in the future and getting the chinese dude phone number to save her ass in the past/present
the movie simple didnt show what would happen if she havent done so (which other time travel/paradox movies used to do)
not showing it was good for the storytelling, but it didnt fix the plot hole
>>
File: Arrival Alien.png (339KB, 696x464px) Image search: [Google]
Arrival Alien.png
339KB, 696x464px
>>
>>729781585
Dumb as fuck. If I learn the right language, then I can see the future? It's trying to be smart, but still dumb as fuck.
>>
>>729792161
Agreed, there haven't really been many 'true' science fiction films in years. We need things like this and Interstellar and The Martian to succeed simply because decision makers are risk-averse, and if it's not giant robots fighting things, they are afraid it won't make money.
>>
>>729791683

Yes you are right, she doesn't tell her husband that their daughter is going to die. And yes, she does tell the Chinese. You clearly don't understand the movie
>>
>>729792354
What was the point of saying that?
>>
>>729792523
I'm not saying that shit is at all possible, but it's a neat way of telling a story.
>>
>>729792721
more like you dont understand what he said so you assume he didnt understand the movie for saying something you dont understand
>>
File: 1462022078130.jpg (289KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1462022078130.jpg
289KB, 900x1200px
>>729792050

Thanks.
>>
>>729792723
Why NSF's definition isn't germane. The discussion about women in STEM is about women's earning potential not scholarships and grants.
>>
>>729785983
That just means you aren't looking for rule 34 of it hard enough. >>729785997
>>
>>729792912
Actually the discussion was about the over-inflation of women represented as STEM majors in entertainment industries. I know because I'm the person who brought it up. unless you're talking about the mainstream talking points.

Who brought up pay? Nobody did, if you think women want more women in STEM because of pay you're sorely mistaken. They CLAIM that's the reason, but it's a cheap point scoring exercise. A stroking of the ego, their mental penis. They want to be jacked off by the hand of STEM to make people finally think that women are smart too. If women actually gave a shit about money they would actually be doing STEM instead of trying to make it LOOK like they're doing STEM. Which is funny because most people who do STEM don't do it for money in the first place.
>>
>>729790454
Now we're talking.
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
SPOILER WARNING: The "Arrival" wasn't the aliens, but the child.

Most haters are lame, retarded idiots who enjoy Michael Bay and Will Smith sci-fi movies.
>>
>>729792912
>>729793548
Another thing, the NSF directly controls who gets funding at university. In other words it directly affects the quality of subjects and the funding of professors. How is that not relevant to STEM when we're talking about the institutions directly responsible for CREATING STEM in the first place?
>>
>>729781585
Was trying to get over a bad break up when I was watching it and its hard to remember movies I watch drunk
>>
>>729793548
>if you think women want more women in STEM because of pay you're sorely mistaken
Ok now I KNOW you're retarded. It's most certainly about pay.
>Which is funny because most people who do STEM don't do it for money in the first place.
People who go into the hard sciences (physics Chex etc) may not but engineers and comp sci majors sure as hell do.
>>
>>729793732
Please Apple Facebook and Microsoft did more for STEM than any university ever dreamed of doing and most of their founders did not have a STEM degree. the NSF is irrelevant.
>>
>>729793690
there are better baits in the thread
>>
>>729791653
The premise is that once she finally got the other language, she saw time like they did some how, all at once. The stuff at the beginning with the daughter actually was the last thing in chronological order, and somehow her seeing the Chinese guy's number and hearing the message a year later, she could "pre-remember" the vital info.
>>
>>729794002
Like I said, I know they TELL you that it's about pay, but do you honestly think that women give a shit about pay? The facts do not support that idea, because obviously if they did they would be over represented as lawyers, engineers, doctors (actual doctors, not nurses or aides). If they cared about making money they would shut the fuck up and actually make more money than men, which you and I both know they don't so I fail to see any evidence for your position.

They claim it's about pay but the facts do not support that idea, also I said most people who go into STEM don't do it for money. You just even said it yourself that chemists and physicists do not do it for the money. Even computer science is questionable, why do you think I got out of that shit? You are hard pressed to find a job doing entry level IT stuff, there are admin positions but even then the work sucks ass for the money you make. Generally speaking the only STEM professions worth the work/money ratio are engineering professions, and even then it's questionable compared to consulting positions or a path as a CPA/lawyer etc.
>>
>>729794285
Tell you what, once Apple, Facebook, and Microsoft give my college a $4 million STEM program for straight white men you tell me and I'll concede your point.

I get the feeling that won't be happening any time soon however. Gee, I wonder why.
>>
>>729781585
Good, one of my favourite people movies, I cried a little.
>>
>>729794985
>over represented as lawyers, engineers, doctors (actual doctors, not nurses or aides).
Women dominate enrollments at law and med schools
>Even computer science is questionable, why do you think I got out of that shit? You are hard pressed to find a job doing entry level IT stuff, there are admin positions but even then the work sucks ass for the money you make
LOL you must've sucked then
>Generally speaking the only STEM professions worth the work/money ratio are engineering professions, and even then it's questionable compared to consulting positions or a path as a CPA/lawyer etc.
The average nurse with a two year degree earns more than lawyers who aren't from top schools and has way less debt.
>>
>>729795146
Just because you couldn't hack it in STEM is no reason to get nasty.
Thread posts: 185
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.