[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to revert from alcoholic to social drinker?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: mel-gibson-8.jpg (153KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
mel-gibson-8.jpg
153KB, 1200x900px
Is it possible to revert from alcoholic to social drinker?
>>
>>729022205
No.
>>
>>729022205
It's POSSIBLE, but it depends on the will of the alcoholic. Asking for a friend, Anon?
>>
Absolutely positively not.

Recovering alcoholic.
>>
File: thisthreadis128483904188593750.jpg (41KB, 600x436px) Image search: [Google]
thisthreadis128483904188593750.jpg
41KB, 600x436px
>>
>>729022205
As an opiate addict speaking, simply NO. He may be able to handle other things responsibly but not alcohol
>>
>>729022205
yes, friend of mine proved it
started to drink hard with 15, did a half bottle of jägermeister per day every day
was near liver collapse
now he drinks only with friends until he starts kicking cars
>>
>>729022205

Possible, yes, but not likely. It requires discipline, and if an alcoholic had any discipline then they wouldn't be an alcoholic in the first place.
>>
>>729022302
Well this is my drinking problem: when I start I cant stop. I usually end up being the drunkest person or black out. But i only drink 3 or 4 times a month and I rarely drink during the week nor do I crave alcohol when I'm sober. It's just when I do drink I go hard.

I acknowledge this problem and avoid drinking if I'm in an unfamiliar place or am not with close friends or family.

I want to try and revert back to a couple of beer and a baseball game kind of social drinker not black out drunk frat boy

I'm 26
>>
Well think about it. If your addicted or have been an addic..... how much sence does it make to say your "kinda addicted" now just socially. ...... right.....
>>
>>729022407
What was being an alcoholic like for you?
>>
>>729022675
Not possible. I'm the same way, once the fuse is lit, it's over with.

I started drinking heavily when I was 18, I'm 36 now. It has caused me a lot of health problems and a few trips to the hospital for extended stays. I'm 320lbs, diabetic, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, and I've killed most of what was a genius brain.

Best thing you can do is quit cold turkey and never pick up a bottle again.
>>
>>729022872
This makes me sad. Since I was 17 I was like this. I've had more "casual drinking nights" than "hardcore black out drunk nights" but I've experienced enough of the latter to know it's a problem and a risk if I do choose to drink
>>
>>729022675
You're not really an alcoholic, just a problem/binge drinker. Alcoholics drink to get drunk virtually every day.
>>
File: cid_300.jpg (395KB, 1280x960px)
cid_300.jpg
395KB, 1280x960px
>>729023257
Maybe alcoholism is a spectrum?
Either way I know I'm not a social drinker, I'm a binge drinker and it's a problem for me
>>
Bumo
>>
>>729023343
Honestly, drinking really heavily 3 or 4 times a month at 26 isn't really out of the norm. Luckily, it's easier to manage because you can better avoid situations where that may happen. You should really start worrying about alcoholism when it becomes a daily thing, where you feel like you can enjoy activity or deal with everyday situations without at least being tipsy.
>>
>>729023085
Dude, I went to New Orleans for a trade show last year and got blacked out fucking drunk on Bourbon St. I could have been robbed, stabbed, etc. Worst part, I'm pretty sure I ran into some colleagues down there trashed at like 2am. No telling what they thought of me. I'm a high functioning alcoholic, you would never know I was a drunk during business hours. Shameful.
>>
>>729024957
*cant enjoy daily activities without being tipsy.
>>
>>729022205
Yes, just smoke weed on the daily and keep alcohol for one or two nights a week when you go out or hang out with friends
t.ex-alcoholic that took up weed, quit drinking, then had to quit weed and became an alcoholic again
>>
>>729025075
Weeed is gay
>>
>>729024982
I got black out drunk and went full mel gibson on the weekend and almost got arrested. That is sort of when I decided I need to make a plan to control my drinking or give it up. That's why I made this thread
>>
>>729022205
No. I know it sucks, but if you've gone down the road of alcoholic, you need to steer clear of it for good. Don't risk relapsing. Just for a drink? Not worth it.
>>
>>729025468
The best way i limit myself is only bringing 2 tallboys to social events and only drinking those. It works for me but I was never a full fledged alchy
>>
>>729022675
Are you me?

>Don't drink at all during the week
>Saturday night comes...
>Chilling with mates at a bar with some pints
>They stay on the beer all night at a steady pace, talking to girls and having fun
>I'm like a hyperactive child running up to the bar every two minutes for whiskey, rum, vodka etc etc
>Embarrass myself
>Black out at 3am
>Bad anxiety the next day

What's really frustrating is that I'm actually quite intelligent and fairly handsome, but my childish binge behaviour on a night out scares away any girl that finds me attractive.
>>
>>729022205
It's possible for some. It's not possible for you.
>>
>>729026333
>>I'm like a hyperactive child running up to the bar every two minutes for whiskey, rum, vodka etc etc
>>Embarrass myself
>>Black out at 3am
>>Bad anxiety the next day
This is me but I've learned not to drink liquor, but I do drink beer way faster than my friends
>>
>>729022302
Then you need to have one, force the word no, and act on it. I smoked a 20 pack this week after years of quitting. No real cravings because whenever I feel them, I just say "do I need it? Nah..."
>>
File: alcoholic.jpg (19KB, 400x435px) Image search: [Google]
alcoholic.jpg
19KB, 400x435px
I don't think so, at least not for really bad alcoholics. It bums me out all the time. I love drinking so much.

That reminds me of a funny expression you hear sometimes in AA: "I wish I wasn't an alcoholic. Then I could drink everyday."

t. recovering alcoholic with 5 years sober.
>>
>>729027130
What was being an alchy like for you? Did you drink every day?
>>
Sitting in rehab right now....short answer OP, is NO!
>>
>>729027339
What do you do in rehab? Just isolate yourself from alcohol?
>>
>>729022872
32 former weekend binge drinker. About a year ago i was in ur position. Got on a diet, dropped weight and only got black out drunk biweekly. 140lbs later, the fear of the hangover, and post drunk depression scares me enough to keep me from binge drinking more than bimonthly. Fyi... i had two tequila shots a week ago and didn't feel the urge to keep going. Also at some point getting pussy takes priority over getting drunk. When that happens u can drink socially.
>>
>>729027560
Thanks this post made me feel better

I definitely get that post binge depression for a day or 2 too
>>
>>729027287
Yeah, I drank essentially every day from about 21 to 29. Initially, I was able to keep it together. I held down a good job for 4 years after college, then got a masters degree, and then entered law school.

But, I kept drinking more and more. Initially, I was drinking about 12 beers a night. Then 12 beers with a half pint of whiskey. Then 12 beers with a pint of whiskey. Then 18 beers with a pint of whiskey. Then 12 beers with a fifth of whiskey. By the end, I was drinking a half gallon of whiskey per day. I stopped going to law school classes and just drank around the clock, living off of my student loans. Eventually, my body started failing. I was very badly addicted physically to booze, so if I stopped drinking I would begin to shake uncontrollably, and was experiencing visual and auditory hallucinations. I was at risk of having a grand mal seizure and dying.

Then, I ran out of money, was facing eviction from my apartment, and was too fucked up to find a job. I took a medical leave from law school. I checked myself into the hospital, where I was medically detoxed for about a week. Then I went to a non-medical detox facility for about 2 weeks, where I was first exposed to AA. From there, I moved into a sober house, where I lived for 2.5.

Since getting sober, my life has improved greatly. I am finishing law school in a few weeks, have been in a relationship for the past 3 years, am very active in AA, and have a ton of good friends. Still, despite all these blessings, I still really miss drinking sometimes, which further proves how much booze fucks with the reward system in your brain. IE, I can recognize that alcohol destroyed my life, that my life is much better today, that I haven't had a drink in 5 years - but I still want to drink. It's powerful.
>>
>>729027560

Ugh, the post booze depression is the worst part of it for me. I just feel like worthless dogshit after a heavy night of drinking, even if i didn't do anything embarassing. Alcohol fucking sucks, if I could find a way to keep my boredom under control I wouldn't drink at all
>>
>>729027771
>and then entered law school.
Nice I'm starting law school in September
>>
Not in my case, I regularly leave for work and can't drink for months at a time, as soon as I'm home I start hitting the bottle and have zero self control.
>>
>>729027940
If you're not already, I'd recommend getting sober before starting. Alcoholism and law school don't mix.
>>
>>729022205

I'm currently attempting this. It's going okay. Used to have 8 drinks everyday, I've gotten it down to 2 for about a month. Been slipping up for the past week though. I feel like it's possible, but not easy.
>>
>>729027680
As u get older the blues get worst especially after a bender. Eat clean, work out and read/write/do math. The former help correct the physical damage you've done. The later (assuming ur not a full blown autist) will help u salvage whats left of ur brain and cognative abilities. Also, try to avoid all non essential pharmaculticals and sugar/carbs. Good luck /b/rother.
>>
>>729028235
This is me
>>729022675

I imagine there will be many social events that involve alcohol and I want to partake and meet people I just don't want to get black out drunk.

You're probably wise saying to just drop alcohol all together but I do feel like I'll be missing out
>>
>>729028339
You should just limit how much money you bring with you or limit how much you buy.

Set the limit before you start to drink
>>
>>729028400
Makes sense. But a word of caution: law school is not like college. It is not acceptable to get really drunk at social events with your classmates. If you get really drunk and embarrass yourself, that shit will follow you the whole time you are there, as well as perhaps into your career. And a lawyer's reputation is the most valuable asset (or worst detriment) that he has.
>>
>>729028832
Thanks for the advice anon
>>
>>729022205
drink together with other alcoholics
>>
>>729029461
Kys
>>
>>729026333
wow, you've literally just described me every time i go out drinking
>>
>>729022205
Drastically increase social life.
>>
>>729022205
No. If you turned alcoholic you lack the self control that would require. The only way to cure substance abuse caused by a complete lack of self control is to avoid that substance entirely.
>>
>>729022205
if you have self constraint then yes.
>>
>>729022205
yes ive done it
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.