[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does anyone still take religion seriously?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 174
Thread images: 26

File: angel.jpg (166KB, 1035x747px) Image search: [Google]
angel.jpg
166KB, 1035x747px
Why does anyone still take religion seriously?
>>
>>725311741
Because it alleviates their fear of death.
>>
>>725311741
1) Idiocy
2) Brainwashing
3) Insanity

Take your pick.
>>
>>725311843

Why does anyone fear death? Not existing is nothing to fear. You didn't exist before you came into the world.
>>
>>725311741
Not enough positive leadership/cult of personality/representation around secularism. At least in states/countries that aren't already mostly secular.
>>
>>725311741
Are we differentiating Religion from Faith in this conversation, or do you think they are the same thing?
>>
Despite fear of death, some people want to believe in a higher power. I don't think people should find anything wrong about that.
>>
>>725312063

If you have faith in a religious figure, you're religious. None of this "I'm Christian but not religious" fucking bullshit. You are, because your ideology is not your own ideology, it's in the name of somebody else's.

Wake up and stop being a sheep.
>>
>>725311974
Most religions believe in an afterlife, and that eternal "existence" can either be absolute pleasure or absolute suffering depending on the life they led. I think that's what people are afraid of, not death itself, if they've already bought into the whole kit and caboodle.
>>
>>725311843
This is probably true, as far as it goes. I no longer fear my own death.

However, I also no longer fear my own life, either.
>>
>>725312111
>I don't think people should find anything wrong about that.

It's always wrong to abandon reason for madness.
>>
File: 127788907273.jpg (317KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
127788907273.jpg
317KB, 1920x1080px
>>725312189
One can be Religious about anything. One can be religious about one's dress, one's home and one's habits. None of which require belief in a "higher power" or supreme being.

One can have faith in a multitude of things including everything from a higher power to the next days sunrise.

Faith and Religion are NOT the same thing

random image bump
>>
>>725311974
I know that, but that is because I grew up with parents who didn't want to indoctrinate me to make me a better person.
>>725312280
Well I kind of fear dying prematurely, I've got so much stuff I want to do still. But death itself doesn't scare me, because when I'm dead, I won't be there to feel bad about it.
>>
>>725312530
I think you're having a semantical argument, which is fine but you're kind of missing the point of the greater discussion.
>>
>>725312530

No, that's just an abuse of the term. Let's keep "religion" as a community holding superstitious ideology.
>>
>>725312535
> because when I'm dead, I won't be there to feel bad about it.

Are you certain about that?
>>
>>725311741
Because we're curious animals and when we don't have answers to a retarded question we make some shit up and tell our kids to eat the same shit

t. Confucius
>>
>>725312636

Are you UNCERTAIN that you before your brain-body was developed in the womb that you were something else and felt different things? No.

Call a spade a spade.
>>
>>725312636
Not really, but I've seen no solid proof of an afterlife, so I live my life by what I do know.
If there is an afterlife, I'm sure it'll be interesting somehow.
>>
>>725312315
Well said. Madness can be subjective, and reality can be based on more than reason. I would like to think I have found a healthy balance of both in my life :P
>>
File: erikson.jpg (92KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
erikson.jpg
92KB, 850x400px
Because atheists refuse to codify a positive philosophy that explains the source of and necessity of moral behavior. We refuse this because the moral relativists have to be defeated first or they will turn our victory into some kind of Scientology-like mess.

SJW are moral relativists and if you believe, correctly, that moral behavior is inherent to the human phenotype you should be fighting SJWs. Go read about "critical theory" and realize how far off the scientific reservation SJWs really are.
>>
Religion is for the strong. Atheists deny religion because they are insecure pussies. Being a devout follower of any religion takes discipline and honor.
>>
>>725312923
That's kind of my take on it. If there is such a Christian Hell, I think I'd rather spend eternity with my compatriots than an eternity of smug people telling "I told you so" in Heaven.
>>
File: 10capricornio0sm.jpg (233KB, 890x1330px) Image search: [Google]
10capricornio0sm.jpg
233KB, 890x1330px
>>725312634
>>725312629
Religion is adherence to a specific set of rules or Dogma, whatever they may be, for whatever segment of one's life is chosen.

Faith, is the belief in something with no logical proof of it's existence.

While they are often used interchangeably, they are in fact separate things and completely independent from each other.

You can be VERY religious and have no faith, like a typical Atheist, and you can be EXTREMELY faithful and have no religion.

It's all about what you believe.
>>
>>725313086
Am sure it takes discipline and honor to not take responsibility for your actions and believe everything you're told.
>>
>>725313086
>Religion is for the strong. Atheists deny religion because they are insecure pussies. Being a devout follower of any religion takes discipline and honor.

You literally have "religious" and "atheist" backwards there.

You are a sheep. It's safer to play your game among the majority of other sheep.

I just take pride in not being dumb enough to think the sheep are right in their fairy tales.
>>
>>725313240
Hey anon, do you want to keep talking to yourself about semantics or actually join the conversation?
>>
>>725313013
Have you read the studies that posit that moral behavior stems from us being social group animals?
They say that morals basically grew out of discouraging specific behaviors in family units or tribes.
>>
>>725312816
I am open to the possibility that I was someone or something else before I was born. There have been case studies of a very few people who have memories of a previous existence that have not been fully explained. So while I would agree the probability is small, the possibility does exist
>>
>>725313088
There are so many different versions of the afterlife that I don't even know which one I would end up in.
So I try to live my life how I consider a good person should live it. Whatever happens afterwards is something I'm going to deal with then.
>>
>>725311741
Extremely lucrative business. Also tax free. Sells military weaponsm services and other related gear worth billions of bux annually.

You think they will let it ever go?
>>
>>725313574
This is very true, however by this logic nothing can never be denied since there is also the possibility that leprechauns, faeries and unicorns exist for the simple fact that they have yet to be disproven.
>>
>>725311741
>>
>>725313650
Yeah, in that case, if there is one, hope we can share a drink and talk about life.
>>
>>725313338
In most western religions, there is always accountability for one's actions, even one's very thoughts can have an impact on one's future afterlife. How can you say that being religious absolves one of responsibility?
>>
>>725311741
Is this really what angels look like? I may reconsider my atheism.
>>
>>725313962
Logically, it is impossible to prove a negative. That's why it benefits one to also consider probability.
>>
>>725311741
>Why does anyone still take religion seriously?

People are frightened little mice and want to cling to stupid fairy tales.
>>
File: black.square.jpg (26KB, 608x552px) Image search: [Google]
black.square.jpg
26KB, 608x552px
>>725314150
>Is this really what angels look like?
>Is this really what something that doesn't exist looks like?

No, this is.
>>
>>725314046
That would be nice.
>>
>>725311741
Indoctrination

Same can be said for most ideologies though.
>>
>>725312315
A+ reference
>>
>>725313342
>>725314256
As someone who can honestly say "I've seen some shit", I can tell you that nearly everyone, and I mean everyone will revert to prayer in times of dire need. "There are no atheists in foxholes." is a true saying from the wars. It may be their last act of desperation, and they may hate themselves later, after that need departs. But you can count on it being true and as certain as the sunrise
>>
>>725313732

Also inherent tribalism of human kind. People want to debate, argue, quarrel and ultimately fight over opinions. Religion is just one of those fields.

However true, religion wouldn't ever have this kind of role in modern society if there wasn't that much of money involved.
>>
>>725314675
>However true, religion wouldn't ever have this kind of role in modern society if there wasn't that much of money involved.

Unfortunately, all to true. Religion has always been a way for some people to dupe other people out of their money, possessions, or even their very life.
>>
>>725314046
>>725314419
(see also: Fiddler's Green)

Halfway down the trail to hell
In a shady meadow green,
Are the souls of all dead troopers camped
Near a good old-time canteen
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddler's Green.

Marching past, straight through to hell,
The infantry are seen, '
Accompanied by the Engineers,
Artillery and Marine,
For none but the shades of Cavalrymen
Dismount at Flddlers' Green.

Though some go curving down the trail
To seek a warmer scene,
No trooper ever gets to Hell
Ere he's emptied his canteen,
And so rides back to drink agaln
With friends at Fiddlers' Green.

And so when man and horse go down
Beneath a saber keen,
Or in a roaring charge or fierce melee
You stop a bullet clean,
And the hostiles come to get your scalp,
Just empty your canteen,
And put your pistol to your head
And go to Fiddlers' Green.
>>
File: cross15.jpg (11KB, 236x275px) Image search: [Google]
cross15.jpg
11KB, 236x275px
>>725311741
The Bible and its many prophecies are worth taking seriously.

Faith is a very personal thing.

Religion?

The Bible says of religion; that it is "The teachings and traditions of men that make void the word of God."

Prophecy says that in the final days there will be a "Great falling away."

So do not take any particular Church, Synagogue, Mosque, or Government seriously.

Use your free will to gain knowledge, and understanding, on your own, from as many different sources as you can. (Books being my personal favorite.)
>>
>>725315218
>Faith is a very personal thing.

Taking a shit is a very personal thing. Does that mean I have to worship my toilet?

Fuck off, idiot.
>>
>>725311741
Tell me OP, was it your intent that this become a circle jerk or did you hope for an actual conversation?
>>
File: cross14.jpg (45KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cross14.jpg
45KB, 1000x1000px
>>725311974
Yes you did.
You are just oblivious of it for now.
Memory will return one day.

(Job 38)
>>
>>725311741

No human takes it seriously, it's all just trolls on the internet to trigger you.
>>
They scared of there death.
>>
>>725311741
I was an atheist for 20 years before I learned God is the truth and the light.
>>
>>725311929
I'll pick #2 coupled with the harsh government propaganda. People don't stand a chance these days.
>>
>>725315336
I think we found the Edgy Atheist in the conversation.

Here's a trip for you. Lets say, just for the sake of argument, that all of that heaven and hell stuff in the Bible is 100% true, and you are destined for hell.

What if I could sneak you in to heaven? Would you go? Once you're in you gotta follow the rules and be a good little soul, but you would be in heaven.

Would you go, or would you rather burn for eternity?
>>
>>725315218
>the Bible and its prophecies are worth taking seriously
>don't read that shit, read books and make your own decisions.

First of all, you just contradicted yourself, but that's nothing new for a JesusFag.

Second of all, what you just described is "philosophy," which is a much more healthy search for truth than religion, which is literally adherence to a prescribed set of beliefs. Which you simultaneously recommended for and against.
>>
>>725315642

What if there are a handful of religions which say the same thing only it's a different god you have to follow, if you pick a different one or pick all of them you go to hell... you realize you're not giving full credit to the other world religions that will have you end up being in hell for BEING a Christian.

This is what you Christfags never understand - you aren't the only fucking religion out there morons.

Abandon all religion and find peace.
>>
>>725311974
There is no such thing as nothing. Every molecule in your body existed before and will continue to exist after your physical time in this dimension. You are always being recycled through the the universe.
>>
>>725314903
Yes, exactly.

And the absurdity in it is that some of those people genuinely mean well. That's the craziest part of it.
>>
>>725315897

Okay but it's not "me" in any meaningful sense. It's the other things that come into existence... I merely borrow the matter during my lifetime, I relinquish my ownership of it at death.
>>
>>725315847
Nice way to dodge the question. This is a hypothetical, so we can ignore the multitude of other religions for this instance.

So which would you choose, Anon?
>>
>>725315653
No I did not.
Your green text is your own words not mine.

I did say:
>Use your free will to gain knowledge, and understanding, on your own, from as many different sources as you can. (Books being my personal favorite.)

That does not invalidate or contradict the previous comment. The Bible is a collection of books.
>>
>>725315653
I don't know how fast you skimmed that guys message but that isn't what he said in the slightest.
>>
>>725316090
>This is a hypothetical, so we can ignore the multitude of other religions for this instance.

No, literally we can't. Are you prepared to "do a hypothetical" on behalf of every other one of those religions? No, you aren't. You are too dumb and too blinded by your bullshit to see that everything you stand for is fucking bollocks.
>>
>>725315971
If a person leading a religious group means well, and actually DOES good things for their community rather than just themselves, is that a bad thing?
>>
>ITT: Fedoras
>>
>>725316228
I never claimed to be of ANY religious bent, I merely picked the Bible because it's well known.

And you still haven't answered the question. Scared?
>>
>>725316256
No that is a good thing, but how many genuinely good people are attracted to the idea of leading people in religion?
>>
>>725316256
The majority of fundamentalists in this echo chamber post would likely say yes. The real enemy is ignorance, and it can show up on either side.
>>
>>725311741
Tradition, fear, stupidity. I think a mix of al3.
>>
File: 1254784996794.jpg (798KB, 2327x1703px) Image search: [Google]
1254784996794.jpg
798KB, 2327x1703px
Random Image Bump while the Edgy Atheist makes yet another attempt to doge a simple question.
>>
>>725316544
>Doge.
Much religion, such wow.
>>
>>725315642
Not anon but if heaven is truly a paradise but I have to change my behaviour, then how can it be my paradise?
>>
>>725314369
Kek.
>>
File: 1433659234441.jpg (60KB, 960x636px) Image search: [Google]
1433659234441.jpg
60KB, 960x636px
>>725313400

Yeah, I see moral behavior as part of our extended phenotype. Really moral behavior is too uniform worldwide for it to have come about any other way, there's just too many geographic, language and other historical barriers to claim shared culture. That and we really didn't record information physically until the invention of writing which is much more recent than it is ancient. We've lost most of our history by not recording it and that would include any consistent morality even if it were spread by oral tradition.

What's actually happened is the convincing studies, usually anthropological, that indicate moral relativism is correct were conducted by, you guessed it, Christians. Christian missionaries, even. People who also believe that morality isn't relative but that were an inherently ignorant of it without "the word of the lord" - they have every interest in making morality-sans-religion seem relative aka weird and evil. They completely and deliberately mis-characterize far-flung tribes with odd moral systems - that is until you realize they're basically libertarian anarchist pre-capitalists and operate on the non-aggression principle. Yeah, you can murder in their village, but only if you were genuinely and grievously wronged by another in the village. The strong morality lies here: If the wrong was not truly grievous the killed person's family will kill the killer, but it was they will totally accept what has happened and not even dislike the killer, much less come after him. Very different, yet in the critical sense entirely the same as we are. Courts might be a better way to justice but we're talking about people who have never even seen a car let alone read a book.
>>
>>725316493
Many more than you might think, actually.

The trick, is maintaining that purity of motive.

As an example, consider Pope Francis, who upon his ascension to St. Peter's Throne refused to move into the Papal Apartments (Super Luxury), often snuck out of the Vatican dressed as a common priest to minister to the poor, and has repeatedly asked for his flock to pray for him.

I'm not even Catholic, but I admire the guy
>>
File: cross4.jpg (321KB, 2400x1642px) Image search: [Google]
cross4.jpg
321KB, 2400x1642px
>>725316823
That's really the problem with religion...

Religion says: here follow these rules and give us your money.

Christ tried to teach in simplicity. Very few Churches actually teach what he did or else they would not have buildings and pass collection plates.
>>
>>725316823
There's your answer..
>>725317168
>>
>>725316696
Oh, come on now, you can do better than that!

Rev up that "logical" brain of yours and answer the question.

If yer skeered, say yer skeered.
>>
>>725316256
Listen, there is no real solution for deliberate ignorance, not until you burn yourself badly enough in a one go to see the absurdity of the situation around you.

Before that, it's a dreadlock of thoughts, aka the story of slowly boiled frog.
>>
>>725316256

Doing good things is a good thing. Doing good things in the name of a bad thing is still a good thing. But doing good things in the name of a bad thing is not as good as doing good things in the name of a good thing.
>>
Because people just follow their family/culture mostly. You're parents are religious most likely you will be. They also generally determine your religion. Its the exception for people to change religious beliefs rather than the rule.
>>
>>725316369

I'd rather have a fedora than not have a brain.
>>
File: 1489351871961.jpg (518KB, 1837x1732px) Image search: [Google]
1489351871961.jpg
518KB, 1837x1732px
>>725311741
Because you meet great people along the way OP

plus religion for me is after life insurance
>>
>>725317605
More like "..in place of a brain."
>>
>>725317761

No, it's not.
>>
>>725317402
I just thought your typo was funny, I'm not the specific atheist you were discussing with.
But if you want an answer from me, I'd rather be true to myself than mock behavior that is unnatural to me.
That being said, my way of behaving isn't that different from a decent religious persons way of behaving, I just don't believe in a god.
>>725317067
In some tribes they force the killer to join the family of the person they killed if the kill wasn't considered justified. So even if a person killed in affection, with no actual justification, they have to replace the role of the person they killed.
>>
>>725317117
Yeah, very few people can avoid being corrupted by power though.
>>
>>725317168
>Religion
But you're trying to differentiate between religion & faith when religion is an adherence to a 'higher power'. Religion =/= Organised religion.

If not & you're trying to say that religion is entirely personal then why should it involve christ at all?
>>
>>725317534
Having been raised in a christian family by a pastor father I have some experience in this.

Christians are taught that "good works" are done, not to earn one's place in heaven, not even to pay Jesus back for saving them, but because God wants His Children to do good works, and that Christians who do show their love for God.

Or so my father taught me.

If God wants us to be kind, generous, and loving to one another, how can that be a bad thing?
>>
If not by the hand of a higher entity that transcends time and space. How did the universe begin. How did the singularity that caused the Big Bang come into existance? This is what keeps me from being an atheist lol. Just my humble opinion dont kill me
>>
File: cross13.png (36KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
cross13.png
36KB, 900x900px
>>725317661
ICK...

No really..

Quick! Go and read chapters 2 and 3 of the book of Revelation. Seven churches are described. Only 2 of them (Hint Smyrna and Philidelphi) meet with Gods approval.

Compare your church to them?

If it does not meet one of those two run from it and go it on your own.

Many many souls are going to be mislead in this final season.

The "Rapture" is a lie.

Armageddon is what John, Paul, and our Lord spoke of. No one will be flying away in the clouds, and all will be tempted by the lies of the Anti-Christ when he is finally cast down among us.
>>
File: holyserver.jpg (103KB, 1162x765px) Image search: [Google]
holyserver.jpg
103KB, 1162x765px
>>725311741
some people enjoy LARPing
>>
>>725318205
Nobody knows, some people just claim god and stop asking.
>>
>>725318153
see
>>725312530

Just inserting myself into your question, but Faith and Religion are VERY different things.
>>
>>725318205
You are going to get killed, buddy.
>>
>>725318332
Is it really wrong to make a philosophical answer when you don't know?
>>
>>725317992
This is VERY true. Only someone of strong moral convictions can do it long term and even the most faithful can fall. This is Human Nature.

But I do like to see it when someone does avoid being corrupted by the money, power, and prestige. People like that, I can admire and respect, maybe even follow.
>>
File: cross16.png (2KB, 241x209px) Image search: [Google]
cross16.png
2KB, 241x209px
>>725318153
For me faith is personal.

"Organized Religion" is an adherence to the will and rules of men in funny hats.

I would like to attend a Church but I do not trust ANY of them.

I do distinguish between faith and religion and consider religion and organized religion to be one and the same.

So I am a Christian but think that means a lot more then plunking my butt down in a pew every Sunday.
>>
>>725318539
Define wrong.
I prefer hanging out with the guys who want to figure out how stuff works though.
>>
>>725313342
you sound like a pretentious dickhead
>>
>>725318288
Honestly, having worked in IT before, I could see myself getting a priest to bless a server. If you haven't prayed for a server to run before, you've never really done IT work.
>>
File: Kanna is my daughter..png (738KB, 990x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Kanna is my daughter..png
738KB, 990x1080px
>>725318265
Everything checks out anon. I know The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true.
>>
>>725311974
Fuck off. You fear it too. Regardless of how you intellectualize and abstract it you're still hardwired to fear it. You intellectualize it, others believe in religion, but one way or another, we all fear dying. Anyone who says different is full of shit.
>>
>>725318787
I don't know if see farther back than we already have.

And as for wrong, I was asking your personal opinion, which you provided as scientism.
>>
>>725318348
Faith doesnt mean faith in a god sure, but religious meaning being particular about something to the point of almost being dogmatic arose from the ritualistic organised religions & pious people. You are (you might not be but an earlier anon was) arguing semantics without considering etymology
>>
>>725319047
Don't get me wrong, I've experienced stuff that I would consider paranormal, I just don't let my imagination run away with me.
My imagination is a magnificent place, but I try to deal with real life in ways that can be proven and that are based in logic.
>>
>>725318787
Not the anon you were responding to, but I am personally of the belief that we are MEANT to figure it out.

I mean we KNOW the earth wasn't created in six days, at least not as we measure them. But for me this only makes my faith stronger because my God put an infinitely small, infinitely dense object where he wanted it, pre programed with the Universe He wanted to make and set it running. And the more we find out about the complexities of that universe, the more I admire the maker's crafting of it.
>>
>>725318910
Well then, whatever you a doing for a living, just don't anyone ever Ever see your rituals over a machine.

Faith based engineering doesn't work. Faith based medicine doesn't work. Faith based aviation doesn't work.

You have to Know what you are doing.
>>
>>725311741
Well there's heaven right there
>>
File: cross6.gif (52KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cross6.gif
52KB, 1000x1000px
>>725319033
They CAN be..
But they have quite a lot of wicked traditions too.
The whole magik underwear thing of Mormons kind of amuses me.
>>
File: 1263723624820.jpg (532KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1263723624820.jpg
532KB, 1680x1050px
>>725318734
Well said. I agree completely.

Random image bump
>>
>>725311974
Actually most religions also believe you have a 'pre-life' existence
>>725317661
Nice snake you got there
>>
>>725318910
lol sounds like you just don't know what you're doing

gb2reddit
>>
>>725319395
All too true, but it doesn't hurt to have a little extra
>>
>>725319338
That is a nice thought and all, but I can't bring myself to believe it without solid evidence of a creator. I do think that basing your life on figuring out how the universe works is admirable though.
>>
>>725318734
Fair enough, but Christianity has common tenants e.g. heaven being a paradise. If you have a retarded person who's so mentally diminished that they don't have personal responsibility, but their ideal life is disembowelling people then regular heaven won't cut it for them. And then it can't be heaven because it isn't a paradise for everyone.

And if you say that everyone's heaven is personal to solve this then that means heaven don't follow Christian ideals so why be Christian?
>>
>>725313013
No athiests have not because they are not a homogenous block. Atheism, unlike say islam, is not monolithic.
Philosophy on the other hand has many times over shown that natural non relative moral systems exists and are imperative.
>>
Now we wait for the relig-fag yelling out "YEA WELL... YOU PROBABLY WEAR A FEDORA! AND I'M GONNA KEEP ON USING THIS BECAUSE I HAVE NO BETTER ARGUMENT!"
>>
>>725319859
Did you read the thread at all?
>>
File: bedora.png (5KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
bedora.png
5KB, 247x204px
>>725319859
>>
>>725319707
So what would you consider "Solid Evidence"?

A noted paper by a noted scientist?
An eyewitness account?
Personal Experience?
>>
>>725320005
Nope. Just skipped over.
>>
Because Yahweh, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel(Jacob), whose son is Yeshua, continues to be proven correct. Year after year. Even so far as to give prophecy of the muslim invasion/judgement thousands of years before it happened.
>>
>>725319034
This
>>
>>725319662
It isn't extra. You are effectively trying to push your responsibilities on something else that may or may not exist. It can't be audited.

Stop practising that kind of escapism. It doesn't work.
>>
>>725319034
>Fuck off. You fear it too.

Nope, you're projecting. Learn about Stoicism and grow the fuck up.
>>
Oh I dunno because it's had a lot do do with building civilization maybe?
>>
Who do atheists still think anyone takes them seriously?
>>
File: Stoicism_Epictetus.jpg (43KB, 800x735px) Image search: [Google]
Stoicism_Epictetus.jpg
43KB, 800x735px
>>725320400
dubs of truth

>/thread
>>
When it comes to bullshit, big-time, major league bullshit, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion.
>>
>>725320084
I don't know, a sort of energy that can be proven to exist in everything that we can communicate with or something. Heck even a giant bearded dude, hanging in the sky doing miracles without using technology would suffice.
If it was a paper, it would have to contain experiments I could recreate that proves the existence of a god.
There are eye witness accounts of bigfoot and aliens too, they seem more credible too because their claims involve them being physical beings we can see and touch.
It would have to be a personal experience that couldn't be explained by drugs my body creates or drugs created outside my body that I have consumed.
>>
>>725320391
As has been said before, there are no atheists in foxholes.

I will always choose a skilled doctor when it is needed, and a proficient pilot when I fly. But you better believe I say a prayer before they knock me out and before I board that plane. I pray that the people I am entrusting my life to are as skilled as I think they are, that they had a good night's sleep, and aren't on any drugs they shouldn't be.
>>
>>725320094
Well you don't have to wait, people have used that strawman already, they've also used the religious people are sheep reasoning.
>>
File: so mad.jpg (12KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
so mad.jpg
12KB, 224x225px
>>725318868
>>
File: cross10.jpg (63KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
cross10.jpg
63KB, 1200x900px
>>725319831
>Christianity has common tenants
See my Comment above about religion and traditions.

I follow Christs teachings.
Not Paul's or the Popes or any modern Church.

Now I have seen many different groups that have taught some small piece of the truth. Above some one mentioned the Mormons.

They believe that the truly faithful are given their own personal world of sorts.

Christ said his Fathers kingdom held many mansions, That word in Chaldean was similar to "dimensions".. Either way there are Stars an Planets a plenty just in our visible universe.

Heaven is probably even more diverse than Earth.
>>
>>725320722
>It would have to be a personal experience that couldn't be explained by drugs my body creates or drugs created outside my body that I have consumed.

In that case, anon, I would offer the suggestion that such a personal experience is possible. Seek and ye shall find, knock and the door will open.

I could relate my own personal experience, but as you said, my experience is completely subjective. If a personal experience is what it takes, and it did for me, then that is what you should look for.
>>
>>725311741
To a degree.

Its a good social construct for community. Nothing to live by though
>>
>>725319521
The people who still follow the old ways of the church will not seek salvation. I pray that they abandon the old ways.
>>
>>725319556
Thanks anon
>>
Atheists are such fags. They blame religious people for being sheep but actually atheists are more likely to conform to the bullshit society. Atheism is a punk ass reaction to the idea of having to take responsibility for yourself and work on becoming a better person, i.e. religion
>>
>>725321528
>atheists are more likely to conform to the bullshit society

This is literally the opposite - religious people by definition conform to society/religion, atheist break away from it
>>
>>725321205
But that is a backwards way of finding out stuff though. That's having a conclusion and looking for evidence to back it up, which is not empirical in the least.
Also if I started searching inwards for it, I would eventually activate the part of my brain that produces the hormones connected to religious experiences. Which would then be a drug my body creates and as such wouldn't be actual evidence of a god existing.
>>
>>725320802
There definitely are atheists in foxholes. I have been one in foxholes. Where that claim even comes from?

I don't care what you do to/for yourself, but make it sure you don't do it in expense of others. When you work for others, you take the responsibility as well.
>>
>>725321663
Yeah dude atheists are so independent and free of society's restrictions. Grow up.
>>
"I think, therefore I am."

This doesn't promote one side over the other. It means we will never fucking know.
>>
>>725321528
So basing you actions and words on the idea that what you do is your responsibility is avoiding responsibility?
I work on being a better person, because I think it is the right think to do, not because some divine being is going to punish me if I don't.
>>
>>725321528
>atheists are more likely to conform to the bullshit society

This is literally the opposite - religious people by definition conform to society/religion, atheists break away from the conformity which is represented by the majority of Christians, and Christians are the majority, sadly.

But their numbers have dropped by at least 10% in the last 5 years.

Religion is dying, finally. Good riddance.
>>
>>725321924

"I think, therefore I am."

Pretty sure that just proves your own existence, and since it says nothing about a god, it's more supportive of the idea that it's just you and no god rather than you and a god. It's more atheistic than it is theistic.
>>
>>725321997
Because I think it is the right thing*
>>
>>725320847
When will people just use reasoning rather than using the same shit faced statements:
Atheist: "ur gud iss gay XDDDDDDDD"
Religion: "My wife left me n I need reason nut 2 shoot self, n fuk u 2 DDDDDDDDX"
>>
>>725321997
It's not about punishment, fruit cake. If you like being punished you can join an S&M club.
>>
>>725322195
Then what is your reason for needing a god in order to want to be a better person?
>>
>>725322012
You little bitch.....so long as there are decent people in this world, religion will never die.
>>
>>725312315
>>725314533

Are you even aware LoTR is Catholic theology?
>>
>>725321722
But you haven't made a conclusion yet, have you? I mean, if you have a question about the reality of God, then seeking an answer is the logical thing to do. Believe me, I once felt as you do now. I was a complete skeptic. Then a friend suggested the same thing that I have suggested to you: Go find out.

I suggest you read the Gospel of Luke and Acts of the appostles. Both are considered to be written by the same person at the behest of a patron named Theopolis.

Luke was a physician, considered a learned man by his peers, and was sent to "investigate this Jesus person" some hundred years after the events occurred.

I suggest a New International Version, because Shakespears' English sucks.

You might also check out Romans, begining about Chapter 7. Paul really lays out a good argument for God.

As for compounds in your own brain, on that you'll have to decide what's real, and what's not.

Just remember that the book is just the beginning, not the be-all and end-all of the search. It's just an introduction. If you make the connection, as I did, you'll go beyond the book in your daily walk with God.
>>
>>725322371
As long as you are trying to be a better person without God, you are ultimately doing it for others. When living with God at your side, you will become a better person for your own sake.....as well as God's. It's a win-win situation.
>>
>>725322843
>LoTR is Catholic theology?

Yes, and I don't give a shit. Why should I? Middle Earth is a fantasy world. Tolkien was catholic, caught too much up with the times, but he made up for it with his creativity. I'm an atheist. What does it all matter when it comes to making a point with a post on /b/?

Also, Sir Ian Mckellen is gay and probably not religious. Does that mean he shouldn't have been allowed to play Gandalf? Grow the fuck up, tard.
>>
>>725322843

Actually Tolkien was clear that it wasn't. He was a catholic who just wanted to create a fantasy world. Whether he succeeded in completely divorcing his worldview from the symbolism in the story is debatable, but also irrelevant when it comes to making a post on fucking /b/.
>>
File: did i stutter.png (663KB, 532x650px) Image search: [Google]
did i stutter.png
663KB, 532x650px
>>725323188
>>
>>725321080
>See my Comment above about religion and traditions.
But Christ had a morality, you cannot have a personal religion for each individual if you are following an outlined way of behaving. Especially in the case of diminished responsibility. Christianity by it's nature is to be chirst-like, but if you have a person as in my eg earlier he would not be following that path. But with no comprehension of evil he would also be committing no sin.

>Heaven is probably even more diverse
But it cannot be as diverse as to become unchristian?

The point of this was if we found out heaven was real would I alter my behaviour to try and get in. But if heaven is perfect it should have an ideal for everyone and in the case of people who cant comprehend chaning their positions on something it should still be able to accept them provided a lack of conscious acts of sinning. But if heaven can in fact be unchristian even in part, how can it be heaven? And why would I trust it enough to self regulate just to go there?
>>
>>725323014
I did read the whole bible a while ago, I don't remember it verbatim, but I do remember that I found nothing to compel me to believe in the existence of god.
I've spent a bunch of time reading many different religious works and what I got out of it was, that different religions have similar themes and borrow stories from each other all the time.
As for the compounds in my brain, the only thing they have convinced me of, is that once being religious was conductive to survival. I don't really see why I would need religion now though.
>>725323014
What is bad about acting in a decent manner so other people can bear to be around you?
I also base my self worth on how I am as a person, so I'm becoming a better person, for myself and other people. It's win-win really.
>>
>>725311741
>>725311929
4)Friendship
5)Comfort
6)Community
7)Ritual
>>
>>725311974
>Why does anyone fear death?
Evolution. People that didn't fear death did stupid things that got them killed, and their shitty genes didn't get passed down.
>>
File: 19cf689d72fb3f87c999275cb87.jpg (94KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
19cf689d72fb3f87c999275cb87.jpg
94KB, 720x540px
>>725311741

1. Childhood indoctrination
2. Fear of death
3. God of the gaps
>>
>>725323701
>I did read the whole bible a while ago, I don't remember it verbatim, but I do remember that I found nothing to compel me to believe in the existence of god.

Neither did I, at first. It wasn't until I decided to seek God, that I found anything.

I know it's weird to put it that way, but that was my experience. The book is just a book, really. If I introduce you to someone you don't wanna meet, you are not going to remember his name in a week, are you?

But if I introduce you to someone you DO wanna meet, you probably will remember that person, and the conversation you had.

Something to think about, anon, that is all I am trying to present. It has worked out well for me.
>>
>>725324293
Hmm, well I see no need to seek out god though. There is nothing compelling me to search him/her/it out at all, no hole in my existence, no eternal lack or anything.
I do think religions are interesting, but appreciating them for anything other than (sometimes) interesting stories and an insight in cultures, is beyond me really.
Also on a personal note I'm crap with names, but really good with faces. I have to basically spend weeks at the side of people for me to remember their names at all, even if I like them.
>>
God is awesome
God is cool
not believing in God makes you a fool

little rhyme I learned in sunday school
>>
>>725324918
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but gods will never hurt me.
>>
>>725324825
>There is nothing compelling me to search him/her/it out at all, no hole in my existence, no eternal lack or anything.

To which I can only reply "Yet..."

But I hope you never do get such things in your life, honestly. If you are happy in your life then I wish you well in it.
>>
>>725325548
I've been through plenty of shit actually, but I got through it by taking responsibility for what I could influence and change, in myself and my surroundings.
But thank you for wishing me a happy life, I hope the same for you.
>>
>>725325987
God bless you
>>
>>725326438
Based on our discourse I'll take that as a positive sentiment, so thank you.
>>
File: ODDSAC.jpg (172KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ODDSAC.jpg
172KB, 1000x1000px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC-0yVR6uSI
Thread posts: 174
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.