[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I volunteered at a cancer center for 3 years. Kinda drunk and

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 6

File: Snapchat-1096971731.jpg (72KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1096971731.jpg
72KB, 540x960px
I volunteered at a cancer center for 3 years. Kinda drunk and trying desperately to start this thread. Ama.
>>
Will you show us your tits?
>>
>>724749454
That isn't the topic of this thread, kind anon.
>>
Was it difficult to pretend that we didn't cure cancer 18 years ago and to not let your patients know the truth?
>>
>>724749454
But thanks for the bump <3 I just want to answer questions about the experience though and encourage others to do what I did
>>
>>724749653
I had to tend to patients who were asking me to pray with them. I made up things that I thought sounded religious and tried my best to comfort. The hardest was a woman with no jaw who's family never visited.
>>
>>724749834
No jaw?
>>
>>724750028
She had her lower jaw removed and the other volunteers wouldn't talk to her because she was hard to understand and in all honesty was pretty gross. She was very sweet though and toldb lots of stories of when her husband was in the second world War. She liked hot chocolate with a straw too. Always 3 ice cubes..
>>
>>724750233
Ask me things please guys
>>
You're good people, op
>>
How did you come to work there?
>>
>>724750402
Awwe thank you. It was originally because of credits for high school, but I grew to love helping people. It helped a lot with my depression.
>>
>>724750535
My mother was a biochemist at the time. So I would just go to work with her and hang out at the patient side of the cancer clinic. She worked on the lab side, I was on the patient side
>>
File: Snapchat-738577120.jpg (70KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-738577120.jpg
70KB, 540x960px
Working with cancer patients was probably the most rewarding thing I've ever done. But god it was also painful and hard
>>
>>724751053
Anyone?
>>
>>724751758
Really?
>>
It's nice when parents let their kids learn how to help others. My parents never would, always made an excuse why we can't help or shouldn't help.

I wish I knew what to ask, but I'm stumped. TELL ME STORIES??
>>
>>724752259
I was 18 when they gave me access to the terminal floor. That's when I quit. Want to hear that story?
>>
>>724752516
I knew a guy, let's call him greg, who was my first friend on the terminal floor. They only gave few volunteers access to this floor. I saw greg every few days. He was really nice, funny, athletic build when I met him, and seemed to be about 16 when he started treatment.

Continue?
>>
Pls do
>>
>>724752814
I'll keep going anyway...
Greg was so nice. I brought him the ice cream bars that we were only supposed to bring to patients kids. He really enjoyed them. He told me he wanted to play soccer professionally. He told me all about the scholarship he had and I really wanted him to get better so that he could live out his dream. A few weeks after seeing him everyv few days, I asked his nurse why he didn't come for treatment one afternoon. She said he didn't need it anymore. I thought he was better. I found out shortly after that he had died from complications of his cancer. I cried. I didn't go back for 3 weeks. I never went to the terminal floor again.
>>
>>724753213
I posted two more stories. Why didn't they post?
>>
>>724753896
Anyone even lurking?
>>
Gotta be hard. Can see why you'd need to talk about it. You can keep going. I'm listening.
>>
>>724754013
Thanks anon. You really are awesome. I'll post the story that didn't show up for what ever reason.
>>
>>724754013
So they had me do cold calls. Basically calling people who had exams and telling them if they needed to come back or not. An old sounding man was very upset with me on the phone and kept saying that it was only a bump. He didn't mean for all of this. It was just a bump. Why come back? It couldn't be that bad! I had to tell him that I didn't know anything about his results, just that he had to come back in and I'd help him pick the date. He cried and I Honestly hung up after we scheduled it. I felt do guilty and I still dont know why
>>
There was a time that a family came in with a man who cracked some awful joke on the elevator. I forget What it was, but the woman with him said WELL THAT'S WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOUR HUSBAND HAS BRAIN CANCER. HE WON'T SHUT UP. and I felt so powerless. He looked ashamed. I had just started at the time and just kinda stared with my mouth wide open in surprise. I felt so bad for him. I touched his shoulder as he left and I still hope to this day that he knew I felt for him. His smile died when the woman said said what she did.
>>
I stopped volunteering only because I ended up bed ridden with nerve damage from a hiking incident. I couldn't move without screaming. I couldn't even breathe in deeply or have the weight of my shirt on my left side without it feeling like I was being electrocuted and stabbed. My doctor said it was like I had shingles but without the infection. I wish I could go back but it's been so long and they think I made up my condition at the time, despite doctors notes that confirmed what I had said.
>>
>>724751053
how old are you?
>>
>>724755189
Now? I just turned 23 last month. When I started volunteering I was 17.
>>
>>724754481
maybe like guilty because its scary in thought alone but having to listen to someone have a serious denial reaction like that... I don't think anyone would blame you legitly for hanging up. And you seem pretty decent. Nothing to feel guilty about, to be reasonable
>>
>>724755371
Thank you. This was years ago but you helped me find peace with it. I thought I was being a coward. But you helped me realize that I wasn't. Thank you anon.I truly appreciate this.
>>
>>724755183
I have a mess of conditions that began when I was still single digit aged kid, and they're still going. I collapsed blue in the face once from an ongoing but undiagnosed heart disorder. All the symptoms pointed to heart attacks but they weren't, and all the problems were "old ppl problems i shouldn't have at my age". Mystery illnesses fucking suck and even when you DO finally get them proven months or years later from the one doctor who takes you seriously, most people still will never believe it. I live on disability and even with an explanation people can't fathom why.
>>
is cutting off the circulation to my finger bad for me if I do it often? I really love to do this but I don't want to damage my finger
>>
You know the drill
TITS OR GTFO

and omfg a girl!
>>
>>724750233
how did she tell stories when she couldn't talk? did she write on a notepad?
>>
>>724755894
there's all kinds of ways to talk w/o ever uttering a word vocally, u ding ding anon. Like you said notepad, text to speech things, sign language just to name a few.
>>
Once there was a man who looked like his skin was stretched really tight over his face. His mouth was wide open all the time and his eyes always pointed up. He looked like his skin was about to rip off of his face. He had a huge spine pointing out of his back that I think was his left shoulder blade. His arms were curled in and his legs were both rounded and bowed. The first Time I saw him I honestly felt so sick. After that I made a point to go talk to him every time that I saw him. He spoke in sign language and was really a slow but nice guy. I didn't want him to know that I was afraid of him. Im still wondering to this day why I was so visibly shocked by his condition. There's no way that he didn't notice the first time that I saw him. I just hope that I made up for it by talking to him and buying him lunch. He had a job putting stickers on envelopes for the cancer center. He was very slow, but I still wonder if he noticed my fear and shock that day....
>>
>>724755894
>there's all kinds of ways to talk w/o ever uttering a word vocally
no shit sherlock, that's why I asked which one she was using
>u ding ding anon
was that really necessary?
>>
>>724755894
She held a towel to her where her lower jaw would be and moved it to try to make words. Her tongue helped form what sounded enough like words for me to figure it out. Other volunteers honestly ignored her. I felt awful about that, so I made a point to sit and talk with her while she received treatments. Literally even if you sat with her while she napped, she was happy.
>>
>>724749454
Uhh... to check for lumps. And a timestamp. Otherwise gtfo.
>>
>>724756215
Probably but A) its understandable and B) you put in the effort afterwards to treat him like the human being he was right? People can't even do that with some normal looking person in a wheelchair, let alone a horror story like that. It must have made all the difference in the world.
>>
>>724756510
>>724755889
Sorry hun but this thread isn't for that. I used the pics to grab attention. Yes they are me but I didn't want this to be a sexual thread. I just needed to talk about this
>>
>>724756509
that's pretty nice of you OP
>>
>>724756703
I didn't want anyone to feel like less of a person for being old or sick
>>
>this thread
>on /b/
>awash in a sea of titty pics
>demand to see one particular set of tits as if they don't look exactly like every other pair of tits
and you dipshits wonder why girls won't talk to you. rules of the internet or no.
>>
>>724756580
I will visit about a week from now, I honestly wonder if he's still there.
>>
>>724756363
no but was trying to be silly not rude plus give examples since you asked how. Sorry you got all butthurt over it.
>>
>>724756866
apology accepted
>>
>>724756836
This thread is about my experiences at the cancer clinic. Not about boobs. Sorry anon but there's a baord for that
>>
>>724756836
kek
>>
>>724756968
I know that. I was agreeing with you.
>>
>>724757053
Oh. Well thank you anon!
>>
File: Snapchat-1111672788.jpg (61KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1111672788.jpg
61KB, 540x960px
Honestly thank you to everyone who responded to this. I needed some closure and this truly helped.
>>
>>724757336
I would recommend though that any one of you volunteer. Either at an animal shelter or s crisis hot line, anything. It really is a rewarding experience like no other, and gives you a sense of purpose
>>
>>724757336
are you alone, are you a loner ?
>>
Cancer runs hard in my family. I've lost 3/4 biological grandparents to various forms it, and my mother was said to have been found with some sort of early breast or lung cancer during her autopsy (died of unrelated circumstances). My kid and myself have both already had benign tumors taken from us as well. Even being a fact of life its still pretty eerie these things can come out of basically nowhere still.

Kind of resolved to the high possibility I'll die by cancer some day. I'd hope to meet someone like OP if in that day Im alone.
>>
>>724757525
I live with my parents right now and I'm taking half a year off of school. I was studying aquatic biology but it got very stressful in all honesty. I thought maybe id go back to my previous major of marketing. So no I'm not a loner. Ay least not yet lol.
>>
File: Snapchat-1074025054.jpg (61KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1074025054.jpg
61KB, 540x960px
>>724757645
Op has a benign brain tumor. Would you feel better if you had someone to talk to? I could give you my skype name and honestly I wouldn't care if you just messaged me because you're sad. I've talked many people on /b/ out of suicide so I guess I'm good to talk to in that respect if nothing else.
>>
File: Snapchat-922460746.jpg (70KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-922460746.jpg
70KB, 540x960px
>>724757984
My name is Melyssa. My skype name comes from when I was a weeb at 14. It's Renjin-chan and if you add me I'll at least message you. I Like helping others because it gives me purpose.
>>
I'll gladly tell more stories if anyone wants. I just wanted to offer a lifelinev if anyone needed it. A lifeline on /b/ honestly saved me back in 2012 when I was gonna become an hero
>>
>>724758502
you could at least post a timestamp, please
>>
>>724757984
OH gosh, thank you but, I didn't meant to give off the impression that I was depressed about it or anything drastic. My apologies. Sincerely appreciate your kindness however. Your cat is all the cute too.
>>
File: Snapchat-1294022260.jpg (85KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1294022260.jpg
85KB, 540x960px
>>724758686
I hope this is sufficient
>>
>>724758502
>I Like helping others because it gives me purpose.
you and me both.
it sounds like cancer ward may specifically be too intense for you, though.

A lot of volunteering jobs can be pretty rough. Cancer ward is one of the worst. My cousin is a a paramedic, my mom is a volunteer ambulance driver, and they've seen shit that's guaranteed to haunt them. You just have to know that overall, you're doing good by being there. You're making somebody elses life better.

But if you've burned out from the cancer ward, maybe time for something else? volunteering at an aged care home? at a local pet shelter? social work? They've all got a rough side but it's less likely to ruin you than the cancer ward.

>>724758949
>protip: that is not a timestamp
>>
>>724758748
I understand. I truly hope that what you and your child go through isn't too hard. Most cancers can be treated quite successfully now a days, and if caught early enough, could even be used for research. I hope you have A painless experience if you do end up with cancer. It really is an awful thing but you can't give up. When patients gave up- they died. It is more about will power than you'd think. Just be strong and it'll help more than you know
>>
>>724759188
And again I'm a bit drunk, so in sorry if this doesn't made much sense
>>
>>724758998
>But if you've burned out from the cancer ward, maybe time for something else?

oooh good point, good point. There's no harm or shame in switching what you do to help b/c of an inevitable burnout in your current field of volunteer work and such. In fact, only further good will come of it all round for everyone involved, including and especially yourself. I srs doubt i could do work like that, and the world is better because of people like you who can.
>>
>>724758998
>maybe time for something else
that's what i wanted to say, it's about time i think too, inevitably i'd say

>>724758949
btw not sufficient
>>
>>724759728
>>724759745
Like I said, now I volunteer in an animal shelter.

And man is late I didn't wanna write the date and time on paper. Just accept my snap chat shit and let that be it. I'm sorry but I'm sleepy. Tbh I don't care if you believe my pics are me or not. I can provide a bunch that you won't find elsewhere to prove is me but I don't wanna right now. You've got my contact info if you care to look it up for proof.>>724759745
>>
>>724758949
are you a fucking child
>>
>>724760140
Did you read the thread? I'm 23 you pleb
>>
>>724760052
tbh unless you're about to post nudes I don't care about the timestamp.

I volunteer in the disability industry, keep that one in mind as an option too. you're often helping people who want to be helped rather than someone going through the worst part of their life.
>>
>>724760333
What kindb of disability? Blind? Deaf? Physical disability?
>>
>>724760494
general disability. we have a lot of learning and intellectually disabled people on our books because of how common they are, but also cover sensory/physical/psychological disabilities.
>>
>>724749600
Butt hole?
>>
>>724760707
I used to work with mentally disabled children. I wanted to be a therapist for a long time because of that too.
>>
>>724760909
that's a pretty good comparison - unless you're in a carer role, you're actively trying to make them more self sufficient and capable. The better you are at your job, the less they need you over time.

Obviously it's not all like that but you can actually see that you're making someones life better. that's pretty great.
>>
>>724761103
Anon you're absolutely right. Thank you for being a volunteer of any kind
>>
>>724761279
I just need to help. same reason that right now I'm replying to you on here when you're struggling, it's just how I'm wired.

Therapy is still an option. You're only 23, you could get through some mental or physical therapy degree while young and then get paid to do what you love.
>>
Pro tip for starting threads post a legible picture.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.