[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for suggestions for books to pick up. Been on sort of

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

Looking for suggestions for books to pick up. Been on sort of a reading kick lately and have been enjoying getting some of the classics that I feel I should have read by now under my belt, but the only ones that I can think of off the top of my head I'm kind of luke warm on.

So either talk up some of the classics that I haven't read or suggest something for me to look into.

-The Hobbit and LotR
-The Heart of Darkness
-To Kill a Mockingbird (loved this one)
-Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
-Lord of the Flies
-The Illustrated Man
-No Country for Old Men

I'm on Metro 2033 right now, having trouble getting into it.
>>
>>>/lit/
>>>/lit/
>>>/lit/
>>>/lit/
>>>/lit/
>>
>>723392925

Neuromancer by William Gibson is my all time favorite ever. Read it. You're not going to find a good moral or mind-bending philosophies, but you'll get solid science fiction and great aesthetics.
>>
>>723392925
Postmortal was a great read.
A Connecticut Yankee in king arthurs court is one of my faves.
Currently reading Roughing It.
I love Mark Twain and his asshole attitude.
>>
>>723393072

Do books scare you this much, dumbo?
>>
File: 011.jpg (2MB, 2432x2432px) Image search: [Google]
011.jpg
2MB, 2432x2432px
>>723393072
One of the slowest boards in existance...

This is a board called "random" after all

Thanks for the suggestions guys, keep them coming.
>>
File: 1479231417667.jpg (2MB, 3800x2300px) Image search: [Google]
1479231417667.jpg
2MB, 3800x2300px
>>723392925
Pic related helped me find a good book when I hit a road block.
>>
>>723392925
Well, this isn't exactly a classic, but it is inspired by LotR. The Dark Tower is pretty good. Better jump on it now if you are interested in reading it. There is a movie on it's way.
>>
1984 is a must read.
The Fountainhead's writing is amazing
The Color Purple has a good theme
I've read plenty but most have issues, these I find no issues in
>>
File: J001596-R1-09-9.jpg (1MB, 1800x1800px) Image search: [Google]
J001596-R1-09-9.jpg
1MB, 1800x1800px
Thanks guys, let's get a couple more for me to look into, going to grab a couple tonight.
>>
Still Life with Woodpecker
>>
>>723392925
Metro's great, the rest of those you should've read in high school.
>>
File: 1482337272094.jpg (33KB, 352x472px) Image search: [Google]
1482337272094.jpg
33KB, 352x472px
>>723395027
Precisely the urge to read them now. I fucking hated reading in school, probably had more to do with report deadlines and being "forced" to read, so I missed out on a ton of stuff.
>>
wind up bird chronicle was pretty interesting. a comfortable read with some memorable scenes.

slaughterhouse five, 1984, or brave new world were some 'classics' i read a while ago and enjoyed.

brothers karamazov is probably in my top 5 and incredible if you don't mind the religious bits.

king gets a bad rap on /lit/, but if you're into fantasy and adventure i'd recommend the stand. the dark tower series gets a lot of praise but it's also riddled with tons of references to his other books which i think is why it's so great. if you're new to king i'd say go with the stand or IT.

ishmael by daniel quinn i read a few years ago and it's cool if you want a beginner's book to philosophy and humanity's impact on the earth.
>>
>>723392925
The Road by Cormac McCarthy is pretty good. It's about the end of the world with this boy and his father. It has a lot of atmosphere the way McCarthy describes the wasteland.
>>
File: yukio mishima.jpg (296KB, 1483x2205px) Image search: [Google]
yukio mishima.jpg
296KB, 1483x2205px
>>723395621
the metamorphosis by kafka is great and probably super cheap

one hundred years of solitude is another great
>>
>>723396370
also haven't read it but a confederacy of dunces is supposed to be a fucking riot. i keep forgetting about it but i've been meaning to pick up for a while now.
>>
>>723393077
I found it utterly boring and only finished it because I like the setting.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.