[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this the best movie since Inception??

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 27

is this the best movie since Inception??
>>
>>723128514
Haven't watched it yet. Heard good things. Kinda wanna see that Wellness movie and JW2, too.
>>
>>723128974
i just watch it and it's like inception but with aliens
>>
Jeremy Renner good actor am i right
>>
the plot holes ruined it for me
>a woman knows her daughter will get cancer
>simply accepts it instead of keeping her checked every now and then so they can catch it early
>>
>>723129172
That's not a plot hole, it's accepting the future as she sees it and protecting the knowledge she has gained from the alien language
>>
>>723128514
This was the dumbest movie I've ever seen. the whole daughter subplot had so many holes it was stupid. What could they possibly need from humans in 3000 years?
>>
>>723129370
how is that protecting, she told her husband that their daughter will die from cancer early there goes your protection out the window. Also the movie implies that you can gain knowledge of the future by gaining a different perception on time with the alien language, sure your perception might be different but you wont be able to see something that hasn't happened .
>>
File: Puncture-2011.jpg (176KB, 676x955px) Image search: [Google]
Puncture-2011.jpg
176KB, 676x955px
>>723128514
no. pic related.
>>723129172
name a film without plot holes and i'll point out the plot holes.
>>
Just watched on Friday, pretty good. Got drunk so I don't remember the ending all that well. Going to watch again this week. I like Amy Adams, she's cute.
>>
just watched it on yify, not sure why it's so praised. Too much on the emotional end of the story.

Not enough of it just explained, we're just spos to think it's cool when she does that thing to solve the problem.

So I'm like neat, but what else.. and all they have is the emotional shit. The emotional shit didn't grab me, so I was left with nothing.
>>
>>723129696
TO kill a mocking bird
>Go Faggot
>>
>>723129172
>>723129048
I kept on comparing this to Slaughterhouse 5, despite the drastic difference in tone.
On topic, I certainly hope it's the best sci-fi movie since Inception. The presentation makes the moral and intellectual conflicts incredibly poignant.
>>
>>723129696
Cap Civil War had no plot holes. It's probably the best movie ever made.
>>
it's actually a shit movie. You can easily see it coming. Aliens actually have little bearing on the story, and it's all a wrapper for a twist that lied to you (she had flashes of the future before she learned to read the language)
>>
This movie is a boring overhyped turd. It should have flopped by now but dumbasses and shills keep talking about it...
>>
>>723128514
It's Slaughterhouse Five...
>>
>>723129975
I watched five minutes of it, got bored, the deleted it.
>>
File: 54784884.jpg (219KB, 982x651px) Image search: [Google]
54784884.jpg
219KB, 982x651px
>>723128514
http://i.imgur.com/ZgIcDzj.gif

SPREAD THIS GIF LIKE A SWEDISH IMIGRANT'S MOLOTOV COCKTAIL

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/stockholm/upplopp-i-rinkeby-polisen-skot-varningsskott
>>
>>723129924
You shut your whore mouth. Avengers was the best movie ever made in the comic genre... although it did have a couple of teensy holes in it.
>>
>>723128514
That movie is pure shit and only progressive retards can't see past the marysue bullshit. Btw, if you're smart, you realize they give away the twist in the very first scene. I give it 2/10 for innovative alien concepts.
>>
File: smokinAok.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
smokinAok.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>723128514
>best movie since Inception
>implying Inception was a good movie
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

go to bed kid

3 day weekend is over, it's a school night
>>
>>723129675
I do agree on the time thing
Her visions included that she told her husband of the cancer which she knew would have to happen if she wanted to protect her perception of time from the language
>>
>>723129953
Aka a feminist propaganda flick wrapped up in alien shit.
>>
>>723130150
Everything marvel is shit. Especially now in the pc era.
>>
>>723130280
INCEPTION not just was a good movie, it WAS THE BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME,
>>
>>723128514
Inception was so overrated. OMG, the sets rotate. 2001 did that shit and did it better. The dream within a dream, etc is fucking trite.
>>
>>723130469
That's what your 25 year old film teacher told you huh?
>>
>>723130485
IF YOU ARE SMART ENOUGH YOU WOULD CONSIDER INCEPTION THE BEST MOVIE OF HUMAN HISTORY
>>
>>723128514
It's pretty good. I generally dislike scifi that deals with 'time travel' as a rule but it was well done a pretty original.

The only real issues I had with it is it has 0% rewatchability and the ending was a bit forced/messy.
>>
>>723130280
not sure what's so funny. it was nominated for best picture, 86% on RT and 8.8 on IMDB.

Do you have some other criteria for what makes a good film?
>>
>>723128514
fuck no, too much emo shit with the dead daughter.
>>
>>723129924
>No plot holes
I don't know how much weight CinemaSins has on film criticism, but the installment about this movie brought up a damn good point about Zemo. How the fuck would he know how to set this conflict up exactly as it was?
>>
>>723130485
Concept was awesome, effects were dope, but Nolan nolanded the story too much. He wanted it all to be like a piece of music but forgot it was a movie.
>>
>>723130485
>>
>>723130662
There is no time travel. It's basically a premonition. Stupid as fuck.
>>
>>723128514
The Charlie Sheen Arrival movie was better,
>>
I didn't really understand inception. It was really a rather dumb movie, irregardless
>>
>>723129172
Did you even watch the movie?

The point was that she sacrificed her daughter to give the language to the world you moron. If her daughter didn't die then none of it would have happened. Kind of like with the phone call?
>>
>>723130697
That we never even get a chance to give a fuck about the actual character. It's just "here, this bitch has a dead daughter, now give a fuck."

I honestly don't know why people think it's good.
>>
>>723130988
Exactly what I said.
>>
>>723130797
Inception was okay but I fucking love turducken.
>>
>>723131001
>The point was that she sacrificed her daughter to give the language to the world

Whys that? Everything with the daughter happened after the alien arrival... after she meets mr science man...
>>
>>723131001
Dumb.
>>
>>723131001
she didnt sacrifice shit, you implying that everyone asked her to make a prediction and she said "my daughter will day of cancer" and then everyone told her "ok shhhh, dont tell her we should find out if its true.". From what i understand she basically chose to have the daughter even though it would end badly because of what she told the scientist "if you knew how your life would turn out would you change anything" . She just decided not to do anything about it and the movie never went deep into why she didnt do shit, thats your speculation.
>>
I don't get who this movie was for. There are so many cuts to the daughter scenes you have to get suspicious that it's not actually flashbacks.

Why didn't the aliens just order some Rosetta stone CDs for english before arriving?
>>
>>723130469
i think this is a troll post, so i'll say "lol"

>>723130674
yes, i think for a film to be good it has to not suck

the opinions of tryhard hipsters who suck Christopher Nolan's dick no matter what he does mean nothing to me

Inception was nonsense
>>
>>723130988
i still have that on dvd, might just pop it in tonight.
>>
>>723131001
Why would any sane human sacrifice their child for something undefined, that may not even effect Earth at all, that happens in 3000 years? No one would. Even your great-great grandchildren would be dead by them.
>>
>>723131514
YOUR IQ IS BELOW 50 GO WATCH SPIDERMAN AND AVENGERS YOU PHAGGET
>>
>>723131648
Because of the mepic sacrifice and feels and moviebux
>>
>>723130434

But...

MARVEL VS CAPCOM IS BACK

HOW IS THAT SHIT

Like, sure it will likely feature censored Chun-Li and Csmmy but..

ITS MAHVEL BAYBEE
>>
>>723130857
False. Time is not linear. While there is not 'travel' your knowledge of past or future events would allow you to alter them from a linear perspective. You're not thinking 4th dimensionally.

There is no need to "travel" in time, only to "be aware" of an event in time if time is non-linear. If you are aware of a moment in non-linear time then you would be able to alter it (presumably, if you had ANY free will that is) by making a decision.

That is why she still let her child die. The act of knowing that time is non-linear meant that she could undo the death. But it would have consequences. Learning the language makes you Doctor Who.
>>
>>723131514
Christopher Nolan is a fucking Master film maker. His Batman movies for instance, blow away every Marvel movie ever made.
>>
One of the first things Ian says to Louise is "Language is the first weapon drawn in a conflict".

Alien says "use weapon"

dumbasses can't figure it out
>>
File: 1420759819879.gif (2MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
1420759819879.gif
2MB, 360x240px
>>723131824
>You're not thinking 4th dimensionally

jesus christ.
>>
>>723131824
The sad thing is that this disjointed nonsense is more coherent than most /sci/ threads on relativity.
>>
>>723128514
Nope
>>
>>723131882
MARVEL MOVIES ARE SHIT COMPARE TO NOLAN MASTER PIECE
>>
>>723131659
lol wow

>>723131882
ok, thanks for stating the obvious

that doesn't mean he is absolutely infalible

yes, Inception was an absolute masterpiece

yes, Memento was his magnum opus

does that mean he can't make a mediocre movie, which leans heavily on science fiction, and then fails to deliver?

no, it doesn't
>>
>>723128514
People actually liked Inception? I thought that was just a meme.
>>
The phone call totally ruined the movie. It's ok to affect the future there but not with her daughter.
>>
Abbott is in death process
>>
>>723128514
i gave it a meh. just good enough for me not to dislike it
>>
>>723131451
Uh...fucking duh...that is the whole point of the entire movie asshat.

The literal INSTANT that she learns the language she becomes Doctor Who. It is demonstrated with the Chinese Ambassador and the phone call.

If time is non-linear then all you would have to do is make the decision to change something and it would happen instantly and all the changes would cascade across your life. You would also instantaneously be aware of all the ramifications of doing so.

If her daughter did not die, her husband and her would have not split, she would not have taught, she would not have been picked, he would not have been picked, they would not have met the aliens, no language decoding, no dr who powers, daughter dead. Paradox.

The daughter's death is a "fixed point in time" if you will.
>>
I thought it was a shit movie.
>>
>>723131648
It's not undefined. She sacrificed her child for the knowledge of the language....

Am I the only one who watched this movie?
>>
>>723128514
Yes.
>>
>>723129616
The aliens coming to us to bargain for our future help is one of my absolute favorite details about this movie.
>>
>>723132310
are you fucking retarded son? are you aware the whole daughter segment was a flashback to the future post-alien events?
>>
>>723129172
Who says it's cancer? All we know for sure is rare disease. The hair might be it, not chemo.
>>
>>723132398
Then shot that to shit when she did something that was completely dependent on her gaining that knowledge to change the future.
>>
>>723132398
Her de der, please kill my kid so I can spek your language. If they can travel the stars, they can learn english. Leaning a language does not change they way a person thinks.
>>
>>723129172
Also you're assuming choice exists even if you know the future. It may not work like that.
>>
>>723130645
I've seen a lot of movies. It's above average for creativity. I still think it's trite because of personal experience. Also, you left your caps lock on.
>>
>>723128514
Clearly this movie has a mental age limit.

"Your iq must be this high to enjoy this ride."
>>
>>723128514
Fucking stupid movie.Cunt aliens travel across the fucking universe and don't even bother to learn english. Fuck those lazy 5 legged freaks.
>>
>>723132534
>>723131233

Guys??? The daughter she has *after* the arrival. I know it must be hard to admit, but it changes nothing about her powers.

She didn't have "flashblacks" or memories, she fucking traversed time to be in those moments. She went forward in the future as she discovered more about the language.

This might be hard to admit, but everything still would have happened sans daughter. That was just some emotional bullshit to make sure the movie had all the typical nonsense movies need .
>>
>>723132880
>"Your iq must be this low to enjoy this ride."
Fixed that for you.
>>
>>723130990
How could you not understand it? The whole thing was spelled out the whole time. It's a dream within a dream within a dream... Each dream level makes time go slower until you can stay in a dream for a long time.
>>
>>723128514
>language let's you see future
>write a book so everyone can learn
>now everyone can see into the future

Explain yourselves
>>
Time is a dimension. We are 4 dimensional beings, with freedom of movement in 3 dimensions moving along a cross section of the time dimension. The aliens are 5 dimensional, with freedom of movement across at least 4 dimensions.
If you visited a 3 dimensional being who lived his life in his 2d world, say a piece of paper, a cross section of you would suddenly appear in front of him without seeming to come from anywhere. You could do this at will, enter his world far from his view and move towards him for example, and then disappear right in front of his eyes. He'd never know he saw a cross section, because his mind can't picture what you really look like.
I think this is what the aliens did. They simply moved along a different dimension so their visible presence here vanished. We saw a 3d ship that seemed to defy physics just by sitting there. But really it was a cross section of something beyond what our minds can imagine. Like they dipped their fingers into our plane of existence and we spent all that time talking to a cross section of their finger.
The window into their section of the ship alludes to this too. You see only the legs and you think that's the whole guy. Only later does Louise see the rest of them when she goes in there and starts to see from their point of view.
Edit: Rewatching it last night I realized: The entrance hallway into their ship simply has a turn in it. But that turn is not in a dimension that we can see. Gravity is the result of mass curving space-time, and that curve is something the aliens are able to do at will as simply as we're able to build a hallway that makes a right turn.
>>
>>723132683
it was cancer idiot, she was bald right before she died what other disease leads to balding through the treatment?
>>723132790
she was clearly able to change the future by whipping the Chinese generals private cellphone up her ass and calling him speaking mandarin
>>723132952
if what you are saying is that no matter what she does everything would have happaned the way it did then how the fuck did she even contact the general? if gaining the knowledge of the future doesnt enable you to change it WHY WOULD THE ALIENS GO TO EARTH IN THE FIRST PLACE?
>>
File: 1448809000835.jpg (22KB, 409x393px) Image search: [Google]
1448809000835.jpg
22KB, 409x393px
>>723132969
Thank you for proving my point with that shit tier come back.
>>
inception was shit. everybody talks about how deep and intellectual it was, but i went to that with my friends girlfriend strung out on heroin and nodded off from about 40 minutes in until half an hour from the end and i was able to figure out exactly what was happening. after the movie she kept talking about how blown her mind was and that she didnt know what to believe anymore and i fucked her raw dog. 2 weeks later i told my friend because im a trash person. this movie and donnie fucking darko
>>
>>723131962
Well...it is...

Non-linear time is a 4th dimensional spacial object.

Imagine a piece of paper. Then you drag that piece of paper through space into a solid block of paper. Now drag that solid block of paper through space across time into a solid 4th dimensional, physical object. You basically have a trail of cubes (only an infinite number of them).

If you want to see this object, you would have to project it back into three dimensional space (so you get a 3D cube worm thing representative of it's movement over time) then project that object onto a plane so that you can actually see it with your eyes (so you get a flat, weird blobby mess of the side of the cube worm which is what you can see with your crummy human eye balls).

So, if you wanted knew that the cube was going to crash, you could just move one 3D cube somewhere else in 4D space and that would fix the problem. But then that would have the cascading effect on the rest of the 3D cubeworm over 'linear time'.

This is basically what happens. You move a cube, you make the 4D cube into a 4D parallelogram. Get it? Only timey-wimey.
>>
>>723133155
>fucked her raw dog
Did you at least heat it up first?
>>
File: spooked to death.jpg (99KB, 680x450px) Image search: [Google]
spooked to death.jpg
99KB, 680x450px
>>723132880
>>723132969
lol exactly
"hurr durr i'm smart b cuz i interprit a gud moobie betar dan u xD xD xD"

god this generation is fucking garbage
>>
>>723131962
Guess he's the only one that does.
>>
>>723133074
>how the fuck did she even contact the general?

The same way Bran learns how to time travel in game of thrones, he gets stronger as he learns more. When she has the moment with the general to acquire his private number, she's still learning. For the same reasons, she's randomly jumping around in her daughter's timeline. It's just a matter of fucking chance dude.

The aliens traverse all dimensions, they came to the timeline that gets the fucking chance right.
>>
File: 281.jpg (28KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
281.jpg
28KB, 500x491px
>>723133061
>>
>>723133155
>>723133266
>double-double
oh, i heated it up pretty well
>>
File: bs.jpg (333KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
bs.jpg
333KB, 720x720px
>>723133074
Yea because hair loss isn't a symptom of any diseases. Moron.

And she fulfilled the future as revealed in her visions. She never changed anything.

Learn to think.
>>
>>723129172
Only if you're a casual movie goer. It's a very good movie (much better than Inception) though.
>>
>>723132534
THERE IS NO AFTER.
THERE IS NO BEFORE.
THERE IS NO NOW.

ONCE SHE LEARNS THE LANGUAGE, TIME IS NOT LINEAR. EVERYTHING HAPPENS AT THE SAME TIME.

If you do not grasp this fucking concept then you literally do NOT get the movie at ALL. Either watch it again or just kill yourself because you're too stupid to understand it.
>>
>>723130760
you can gain knowledge of the future by gaining a different perception on time with the alien language
>>
>>723132952
It might be hard to admit, but it's just a gay fucking movie that you take so seriously that you actually fuck up the explanation.
>>
>>723133272
Then kill yourself old loser fuck if you're so tired of it all :)
>>
>>723133366
>Yea because hair loss isn't a symptom of any diseases. Moron.

Hey guys, the disease is insignificant. In the book the daughter dies from a rock climbing incident.
>>
>>723133366
Phone call to the General still doesnt make sense. You cant be stoic about your daughter but still mandarin up to change the future.
>>
>>723130150
You shut your mouth X-Men 3 was the better comic genre movie released until now
>>
>>723133532
Bam. Even better.

Does the book say if the visions can be changed?
>>
>>723133444
>ONCE SHE LEARNS THE LANGUAGE, TIME IS NOT LINEAR. EVERYTHING HAPPENS AT THE SAME TIME.

Which is why they ask her if she's pregnant at the beginning and she says no... even though she is. She doesn't know yet, she doesn't know the language.

Which is why the alien says "Abbot is in death process" because he's viewing Abbot in the past/present/future simultaneously. Abbot is always in the process of dying, just like us.
>>
>>723133559
It makes perfect sense if you ignore linearity.

Heh. Btards would implode trying to parse the timeline in Primer. X)
>>
File: reginaldplinux.jpg (61KB, 300x248px) Image search: [Google]
reginaldplinux.jpg
61KB, 300x248px
>>723133490
i've certainly thought about it

but recklessly drinking myself to death slowly is much more enjoyable, so i guess specifically, i'm still killing myself
>>
>>723132952
>>723133074
NON-LINEAR TIME.
NOT GETTING IT.

Not flashbacks, not 'learning the future', not 'changing the future', not 'getting magic powers'.

Time just "is" non-linear. Learning the language allows you to perceive it. Once you perceive it then you can move around in it in non-linear fashion.
>>
>>723133444
cool except that just cause the movie implies it thats not how real life works, it takes too much suspension of disbelief to simply take it for granted that there is no such thing is a linear chronology of events, besides gaining a new perception of time doesn't make time disappear all together.
>>
File: IMG_2999.jpg (1MB, 1000x1481px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2999.jpg
1MB, 1000x1481px
Amy Adams was in the two best movies of the year. About time she showed her tits.
>>
>>723133773
FINALLY someone posts a good film ITT
>>
>>723133723
Now try being less of a hateful old fuck. And maybe you won't need to hate the young anymore and thus might make peace with life.
>>
>>723133743
Except that is the whole fucking point of the movie. If you don't like it, you don't like it. But that is what happens.
>>
>>723128514
I think you mean worst movie OP, worse movie since Inception
>>
I don't watch faggots that partook in anti trump treasonous propaganda videos, therefor this movie is an automatic libtardshit/10

>inb4 you support trump but not free speech.
They're using their celebrity platform to skew people's opinions on the president. Hence propaganda and treason.
>>
>>723133735
her daughter still changes nothing. It's just emotional nonsense.
>>
>>723129172
The real plot hole that killed the movie for me was they spent a good portion of time explaining the rules of communicating with aliens. If you want to find out why they are here, you need to teach them language step by step. They show this being done through writing. We write a word and demonstrate what it means, they fire back their equivalent. Their words are super advanced so we need computers to "speak" and decipher this language. Even the linguistics expert is shown to need this technology to communicate with the aliens. All this is great and brilliant and interesting. It is well built up, it makes sense, and there is a good source of conflict, tension as the stakes get higher and time runs out to figure out the purpose of the aliens' presence.

Then, out of fucking nowhere, all the rules, which are well established by this point, are broken at the climax. Suddenly, the aliens understand spoken word rather than exclusively written word. Adams's character no longer needs computer programs to understand the super complex writing of the aliens. The head of Chinese military is called off because some stranger in the US called with the last words of his wife. If I was that guy, I would assume I was being spied on. It makes zero fucking sense. Everything great about the movie completely fell apart at the end. To say nothing of how the ending went on forever to make absolutely sure the audience understood the daughter had not been born yet and Jeremy Renner was the Dad, a point easily understood 20 minutes earlier. Shit was worse than Return of the King.
>>
File: sniper wolf the slut.jpg (188KB, 876x1243px) Image search: [Google]
sniper wolf the slut.jpg
188KB, 876x1243px
>>723133827
welllllll normally i'm not such an ill-tempered bastard, but the temperature has been way above-average this week and my girlfriend has been acting like a real cunt, so my bad, you unfortunate young lad from a piece-of-shit generation

i'll keep this exchange in mind in the future

i fucking HATE the summertime. hope we get some more winter before going back to Hell
>>
I think the fact that this movie has brought up so much debate is a pretty good indicator it was a sci fi masterpiece.
>>
>>723133662
Right. They speak weirdly because "Abbot is in death process" because the humans could do something that might 'in a non-linear way' cause him to come out of death process at that point.

Multiple, interactive, non-linear timelines would do crazy things. Like when the doctor and the master interact. Certain things would be 'static' but MOST things could change around them on a whim.
>>
>>723133773
>>723133819
>get pulled over by rednecks
>give over your wive and daughter to said rednecks

>zero fight to keep what you love

yeah that made sense.
>>
>>723133444
>hurrrr I made a movie that involves a marysue in 2016 and a Le twist so conveluted in holes that it takes the wizard of 4chan to explain it.
Thanks. I'll pass.
>>
File: cheers.jpg (47KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
cheers.jpg
47KB, 720x540px
>>723134095
Forgiven and genuinely wish you luck :) I don't actually want you to kill yourself.

I hear you about this shitty ass weather. Fucking rain.
>>
>>723134065
>The real plot hole that killed the movie for me was they spent a good portion of time explaining the rules of communicating with aliens. If you want to find out why they are here, you need to teach them language step by step. They show this being done through writing. We write a word and demonstrate what it means, they fire back their equivalent. Their words are super advanced so we need computers to "speak" and decipher this language. Even the linguistics expert is shown to need this technology to communicate with the aliens. All this is great and brilliant and interesting. It is well built up, it makes sense, and there is a good source of conflict, tension as the stakes get higher and time runs out to figure out the purpose of the aliens' presence.
>Then, out of fucking nowhere,

It's not out of nowhere... the aliens aren't there learning english. They are using that time to teach their language to ian and louise. The alients understood english(and all earth languages) from the start.
>>
>>723133061
>Edit
>>
>>723133490
Why don't you kids kill yourselves since you're so tired of old people running your shit, but don't ever do shit about it?
>>
>>723129048
It has absolutely nothing to do with inception wtf are you high or retarded
>>
>>723134404
They just like to bitch.
>>
Abbot and Costello meet with each country. They give each country 90 minutes and then move on to the next country. It's weird none of the countries picked up on the fact that their meeting window never happen at the same time. It also makes sense that the heptapods say something like "we are one" meaning they are the same two aliens meeting with each country. Amy Adams takes this to mean she has to meet with the other heptapods to put together the puzzle pieces. I assumed when she visited the heptapods one last time that she would some how be transported to another country so she could meet with another pair of aliens, but that never happens ... because it's the same two aliens at each location.
>>
>>723129052
Amen
>>723132527
This, think where human civilization will be in 3000 years. We can be helpful
>>
>>723128514
Alright, I'm not an exceptionally bright guy but can someone explain to me how the vision of the future with the Chinese general isn't a paradox? Because I'm doing mental gymnastics and it still doesn't come across as very sound deus ex machina.
>>
>>723134253
Jesus you failed to understand the movie almost on every level. You do know that scene in itself was actually fiction? And that it was symbolic of how Jake Gyllenhaals character had his wife ripped away from him in real life?
>>
File: photo_2017-02-20_18-42-55.jpg (96KB, 672x960px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-02-20_18-42-55.jpg
96KB, 672x960px
>>723134404
Better lazy than actively destructive you fucking pathogen.

Rube.
>>
>>723134065
>Didn't watch the movie.

The whole linguistics portion of the movie took part over literally years. But again...the POINT is that once she learns just enough of THEIR language that she begins to conceptualize time non-linearly then effectively SHE can make the immediate decision to instantly teach them the language.

Any minute change to the learning process over the previous year or so that would have been needed to teach them/the rest of the world various things that would be feasible could be done by deciding to do it. Those effects would ripple through the timeline and in turn through the timeline of the aliens.
>>
It's hardly deserving of the "science fiction" genre. There's more science in roland emmerich's 2012.

Wasn't there literally a line (paraphrasing) like: "they don't understand simple math or science but they're quick to learn complicated social behavior (of a species from an entirely different fucking planet)"
>>
>>723134694
Paradox only happens of time linear. She's acting out a fixed timeline of which she's being given relevant glimpses.

Basically there is no time, just the illusion of it and her ability is seeing through the illusion.
>>
>>723132310
...might need to watch it again brah.
>>
>>723134717
>how Jake Gyllenhaals character had his wife ripped away from him in real life

without a fight? he didn't deserve to have them in the first place if that's what you meant.

and that scene just went on too long for a man to not throw a fucking punch.
>>
File: over your head.gif (804KB, 1307x734px) Image search: [Google]
over your head.gif
804KB, 1307x734px
>>723134837
Clearly you wouldn't know good sci-fi if it shoved the monolith up your ass.
>>
File: f7FdEdG.jpg (10KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
f7FdEdG.jpg
10KB, 260x194px
>>723132310
Indeed. Her flash forwards of her daughter were important for the learning process plus she just decided that the love was worth the pain.

Also, knowing time doesn't exist, did the daughter ever even really die?
>>
Shouldn't we know why the aliens need help in 3000 years if Amy Adams now sees all time simultaneously?
>>
>>723135487
She may only be able to see within her own timeline.
>>
>>723135536
>She may only be able to see within her own timeline.

She doesn't have a limited timeline, time doesn't exist anymore. She sees all time, past/present/future.
>>
>>723135089
Ok so you might be a troll but whatever, I'll bite. It was symbolic of how Jake had no control over it. Amy Adams left him and cheated on him, whilst also having an abortion for his unborn child. He had no control over this. He wrote the book and dedicated it Amy Adams character to symbolise just how much she destroyed him.

>and that scene went on too long
It was honestly one of the most intense movie scenes I've ever seen. Don't know what movie you were watching.
>>
>>723135590
>She doesn't have a limited timeline, time doesn't exist anymore. She sees all time, past/present/future.

This is the same reason "Abbot is in death process"

because he's not actually dead, he's dying, forever.
>>
>>723135232
Oh god. Are you really referencing that ancient boring movie. So old and boring. The ending makes no since.
>>
>>723135631
>The ending makes no since.
>>
>>723135651
>since
Anon might be a New Zealander
>>
>>723135590
Having a time machine doesn't make you omniscient. She can only see her past and her future. Just like you cant see my present.
>>
>>723135651
>>723135709
I'm American and I don't understand your point?
>>
>>723135631
Someone owns a monster energy drink hat..
>>
File: 1443189512756.gif (1MB, 255x191px) Image search: [Google]
1443189512756.gif
1MB, 255x191px
>>723135651
This fuckin guy XD
>>
>>723135709
KEK
and by kek i mean KIK
>>
>>723135590
She didn't become God. She just stopped being bound by her perception of time as linear which it isn't.
>>
>>723135827
New zealanders typically pronounce e's as I's as part of their accent, anon.
>>
>>723135604
>It was honestly one of the most intense movie scenes I've ever seen

how old are you?
>>
File: 1486990018296.jpg (9KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1486990018296.jpg
9KB, 259x194px
>>723132310
Thank you I started to feel alone
>>
>>723136116
Confirmed troll. Goodbye, child.
>>
>>723135487
No. Why would she know what happens 3,000 years in the future? She's just a human.

They just said that they needed the human race in 3,000 years. She'll be dead.
>>
File: IMG_3001.jpg (207KB, 630x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3001.jpg
207KB, 630x1200px
ITT: We post 2016 kino
>>
>>723136171
>child

i just asked how old you were, i'm 36.
>>
>>723133264
You are pathetic, please don't spout shit that you pull from the top of your head.
>>
>>723134805
>Didn't watch the movie.

I just summarized the end of the movie you fucking retard. Getting the same reading you did or even getting the reading right or wrong is not a prerequisite for having seen the fucking movie. Why don't you say what you really wanted to say and pull the tired and inherently flawed 2DEEP4U argument out of your ass and play that card instead you fucking autist.
>>
>>723128514
Only if you saw Inception right before Arrival
>>
The plot twist is great if you're a pleb. What really enthralled me was the globalwide panic and the news. It was like the movie version of "if 4chan was invaded by aliens".

If you're not into that kind of thing, or any remotely realistic take on "aliens invade earth" science fiction, maybe this movie isn't for you. The plot twist turns the science fiction into fantasy, if you're into that [most of you are nihilists so most likely not.]

The short version is this is suspense filled in with "what earth does when uncontrollable shit happens". It's basically Independance Day 2, but with less action and [relatively] better writing.
>>
File: 51780465.jpg (116KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
51780465.jpg
116KB, 400x400px
G'night all. Thanks for keeping me entertained :)
>>
File: image.gif (473KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
473KB, 500x361px
>>723136878
>>
File: 85.gif (992KB, 389x259px) Image search: [Google]
85.gif
992KB, 389x259px
>>723136878
>realistic take on "aliens invade earth
>>
>>723136878
This is actually one of the only real holes in the movie tbh. I sort of let it slide because the initial contact portion went really rapidly and then the movie descended into the time thing.

In reality, yes, society would pretty much take a huge, steaming, shit and they sort of glossed over that part.
>>
>>723137170
I have to admit he's right on that, not quite the generic hollywood bullshit like independance day for example
>>
>>723128514
.........No.
>>
>>723137752
>i know what a realistic view of earth being taken over by aliens looks like.

stop.
>>
>>723128514
>best since...
No it wasn't. It was laced with plot holes that ruined the movie.

Was still a decent watch, but it is by no means the greatest in the past few years.
>>
>>723128514
le too deep for alien movie
>>
>>723138196
I'm not implying I know what a realistic view on that is. But at least the movie's trying to get another perception on what we are used to.
>>
what did the too deep for you's look like?
>>
File: papurika_paprika-439873032-large.jpg (221KB, 851x1200px) Image search: [Google]
papurika_paprika-439873032-large.jpg
221KB, 851x1200px
>>723128514
I prefer "Paprika", Inception ripped off the idea behind it and made it more appealing to the American viewers, even some scenes are exactly the same but in live action
>>
Wish I could go back in time and never learn of 4chan.
Thread posts: 176
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.