/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When I see a tv program about spacetravel via Warp/Bending space-time?negative

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: 1701D.jpg (38KB, 960x449px) Image search: [Google]
1701D.jpg
38KB, 960x449px
When I see a tv program about spacetravel via Warp/Bending space-time?negative energy they are always talking about distance and speed.
Never I see something about what is on your path.
I mean space is not empty and full of shit like rocks, small and big.
You will crash into this at warp speed.

I am a noob so I will not post on a different board. I want some simple answers and not the manual of a hypothetical force shield.
>>
>>722833330
Yeah really.

Maybe wormhole. Manipulation of space. So won't crash into stuff.
>>
In Star Trek this is explained in some episodes. The ships have a navigational deflector / deflector dish installed.
>>
>>722833330
>Never I see something about what is on your path.

I was 8 when I talked about this, and noone took me seriously.

Until the "Gravity" movie happened.
>>
>>722833330
>You will crash into this at warp speed.

Nope, all this stuff don't move at warp speed, the space ship will easily outrun them.
And if they come right at you, space ships have very strong horns, to make that shit move aside.
So no worries, anon.
>>
File: 1487416231136.jpg (57KB, 960x449px) Image search: [Google]
1487416231136.jpg
57KB, 960x449px
>>722833330
Circled in the pic is the deflector dish, it takes care of protecting the ship from those impacts.
>>
>>722833996
What is in the Gravity movie?

Should I look to download it?
>>
Magnets
>>
>>722834178

But a deflector dish makes sense realistically?
>>
>>722833330
They always plot their course.
And at least in regards to Star Trek?
They have deflectors and navigation shields.
>>
>>722834273
As much sense realistically as a warp drive
>>
>>722833330
"what is in your path"

that makes sense when you talk star wars "lightspeed", like traditional travelling from point a to point b

but if you talk about warp speed, youre talking about space manipulation
think about it like this: draw 2 points on a sheet of paper, what is the fastest way to get from one point to another? not a straight line drawn across the paper, its folding the paper in half so the two points touch each other. thats the essential idea for wormhole travelling.

since gravity waves have been observed there is a theoretical possibility of this working
>>
In normal travel you move through space at a certain speed (and cannot reach light speed) so you can crash into other stuff that's also in space.

Warp drive is a hypothetical way to get around the limit of light speed. Instead of travelling through space directly, warp drive makes a bubble of space and moves that bubble. The spaceship itself would technically be stationary, but inside a bubble which could go arbitrarily fast.

Because the 'edge' of the bubble isn't an object, but warped space itself, whatever the bubble 'crashed into' would be unaffected, sitting in its own non-bubble patch of space.
>>
>>722834273
it\s fucking star trek nothing makes reality sense
>>
>>722833330
In Star Trek they cover relativistic space travel with the navigational deflector, which basically knocks everything out the way or destroys it. However, the warp drive in Trek doesn't move the ship, it effectively moves space; within the warp bubble, nothing is technically moving so you can't hit anything. Space moves around the ship.
>>
>>722833330
see that little blue circle? its called the deflector dish. it deflects the debris. there were episodes where combat damaged it and the crew was like "SHIT we cant go to warp till its fixed... WAT DO!"
>>
File: 1286373241606.jpg (15KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
1286373241606.jpg
15KB, 300x200px
There's also the issue of probability.

Space is absolutely, mindnumbingly huge. Us humans (spiders can fuck off my /b/) cannot possibly comprehend just how extensive this shit is and how empty.

Within our solar system, the ratio to distances between planets to the planet's diameters is about 50000:1, and that's for the inner planets, which are pretty close. And as for the distances between the different solar systems - it's a much, much greater number.

You can safely assume for the most part that space IS empty, because it usually is. Things like micrometeors and solar wind are not found everywhere, and we already have a shielding technology to take care of those.

On an unrelated note - warp concept is shit, wormholes are where it's at.
>>
>>722834949
>micrometeors
i meant microasteroids
>>
>>722834949
Wormholes are much more effective in Stellaris, but an Alcubierre style warp drive is more likely to be doable.
>>
>>722834361
warp drive is FTL travel not wormhole physics fucktard
warp is described in startrek as a factor of light to a specific power
>>
File: 1467001485074.jpg (966KB, 3181x3946px) Image search: [Google]
1467001485074.jpg
966KB, 3181x3946px
>>722833330
so...

anyone else just see into the future a bit?

just me? Can't tell if alternate universe or not...
>>
>>722835198
uhhh... looks like the timelines merged or something, false alarm.
>>
>>722834183
It's pretty mediocre
>>
File: ah.jpg (261KB, 490x535px) Image search: [Google]
ah.jpg
261KB, 490x535px
Each space shuttle or fast vehicle/creature is pre equipped with bonafide Anime brand Plot Armor to prevent unpredictability and actual plot twists from occurring until the author wants them to.
>>
>>722833330
It's fiction. So you can explain it anyway you like.

>shield
>phase through it
>never mention it

That being said, one of my favorites is in the Dune novels. Humans have created ships that travel faster than light, however they require someone with the ability to see in to the future to navigate them.

That's why the Spice is so important to the Spacing Guild.
>>
>>722834209
Yeah, but how do they work?
>>
but what if the destroy another ship going warp speed
>>
>>722835897
You're being generous
>>
>>722836209
Magnetic fields
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.