[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup bros Car mechanic here Me and another mechanic got into

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: hmm.png (12KB, 287x166px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.png
12KB, 287x166px
Sup bros

Car mechanic here

Me and another mechanic got into an argument and I figured I'd ask you guys

In this image of a car jack, what angle would the stress on bolts A and B be greatest?

I'm saying 45 he's saying 90

Anyone know?
>>
>>722329126
Not in the slightest, but i'm inclined to agree with him since the weight is still pressing down, its just distributed across a "wider" platform.
>>
>>722329126
The stress is most when the jack is fully extended.
>>
How the hell did this argument start? Stress on the bolts is the same at all degrees.
>>
>>722329405
>>722329649
Hmm....which I believe is 70 degrees

But why?I thought things broke at a 45 degree angle
>>
Since all the weight is on the bolts the entire time all the angle would effect is the angle the force would be put on the bolts. If there is a load on the jack the stress would be the same regardless.
>>
>>722329126
Knock yourselves out

http://www.slideshare.net/MehmetBariskan/final-project-design-and-fem-analysis-of-scissor-jack
>>
File: 1483063067819.jpg (56KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1483063067819.jpg
56KB, 600x600px
same pressure from above at all times -> same amount of stress the bolts are under at any given point in time.

the angle does nothing at all in this particular scenario.
>>
it is the same on all angles
>>
>>722329774
These things can fail in two ways, shear stress on bolts A B and bending of the top plate

So we were arguing when the bolts were most likely to fail when we're cranking it up

>>722330165
>>722330008
>>722329785
I'm wording this wrong then, maybe I'm asking for angle of maximum shear stress? Like when the bolt would cut in half
>>
>>722329785
Wouldn't there be more force on the bolts because of a moment when at an angle?
>>
I would think the stress with be highest on the pins when the jack is as low as it can be. The effective force up will be the smallest ratio to the total force acting on the bolt in that position.
>>
File: 1486933782607.jpg (24KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1486933782607.jpg
24KB, 480x480px
Obviously it will be at 100° , 100 is the max limit . At 45-90° that's only 45-90% anything closer to the max 100 endures more stress .

Inb4 what about 110° . No bitch no Jack is ever built past 100

Stay in school faggots
>>
>>722330621

As low as it can be w/o resting on the ground. But yeah I agree.
>>
Don't you ever notice it is easier to jack the thing up as the jack legs straighten out. Or how getting up from a really low squat is a lot tougher than from a half squat etc.
>>
>>722330621
>>722330881
I agree I guess
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.