[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Kurt Cobain the last true rock star? Why is rock so shit today?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 18

File: Kurt Cobain.jpg (174KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Kurt Cobain.jpg
174KB, 1200x1200px
Was Kurt Cobain the last true rock star?

Why is rock so shit today?
>>
>>721943258
Cuz the new "rock stars" are not in a fucking deprecion
>>
>>721943258
Eh
Overrated by wannabe young people
Sorry guyz
>>
>>721943971
nirvana is overrated, but that's not what this thread is about.
>>
>>721944114
how is Nirvana overrated?
>>
>>721944114
Fine
He wasn't a rock star
He's a dead old school grudge emotional who was sad. And apparently a really bad shot.
>>
>>721944173
their discography isn't as good as people say. just my opinion.

influence is another story, but music-wise? definitely overrated.
>>
all but, ALL are shit for the multiculturalism and lobbys sionist of jews
>>
>>721944173

I'm not sure how old you are. But from an elder fag who was around when Cobain died. It catapulted Nirvana into overdrive. The best thing I can compare it to for millennial is health ledgers fame as the joker being blown up the same way.
>>
>>721944320
you might not like him or his music, but he was definitely a rock star.

every teenager listened to his music and cared about what he said. not to mention the media constantly talking about him, and his influence on fashion. i couldn't care less about any of that shit, because i don't care for him or his music, but its true.
>>
>>721944379
The RnB dominance of the early nineties is what makes Nirvana shine, and not many bands can release only two albums and be considered "overrated". When someone says something is overrated than I usually take that as a sign that an even larger group of people disagrees with that.

>>721943258
Jim Morrison was the last true rockstar
>>
>>721943258
Kurt was fucking shit.
>>
>>721943258
Sorry but he was a bad singer and bad guitarist. Nothing special
>>
Well.. I'm alive.. I consider myself better than Lennon, Dlyan, Morrison and Cobain combined when it comes to songwriting. I'm just underground and play in clubs locally. All original content. Get tons of pussy. No social media besides /b/, can silence a crowd with a sound from my vessel or instrument. I think Jimmy Page was one of the true rock stars. Took tons of influence in others work and flipped it into his own success while being an icon in pop culture for image, sound and atmosphere in art. Music isn't about being famous or being a rock star. It's about creating work that makes others think and feel something that you want to get out there. Money and status is irrelevant to the true nature of music.
>>
>>721944705
>Jim Morrison was the last true rockstar

that's ridiculous.

hendrix, bowie, mercury, springsteen, and axl all came after morrison. he's one of my favorites, but he definitely wasn't the last.
>>
>>721945272
>bad singer

no he wasn't
>>
>>721943258
go listen qotsa you faggit, and then say rock is dead
>>
Rock music is dead
>>
I like the offspring
>>
>>721945561
they're pretty good, but the lead singer is unknown. nobody knows or cares who he is.

and one band can't keep rock alive, even though i don't think qosta are good enough for that.

rock is dead, sadly.
>>
>>721945640
good for you
>>
File: cover.jpg (759KB, 1443x1375px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
759KB, 1443x1375px
It's because liberalism has a huge influence on stupid people like your typical musician, so "rock stars" are plagued with shit ideologies that create cookie cutter music. /thread
>>
>>721943258
>Was Kurt Cobain the last true rock star?
Yes, he was. Nirvana and grunge was the last gasp of rock before it went the way of big band music and jazz. That's why there is no rock on the charts anymore, and most kids don't listen to it.

>Why is rock so shit today?
Not sure. Rock has strayed far from it's original beginnings. Maybe it is just played out.
>>
>>721943258
he wasn't a rock star at all.
I guess you're too young to know.

rock stars are people like freddie mercury, bowie, neil young, john lennon.
>>
>>721945809
interesting point, never thought about that.
>>
>>721943258
The Beatles was the last true rockstar tbh
>>
>>721945854
>big band music and jazz
-
the fuck?
>>
>>721945561
EODM is better
>>
>>721945924
Ikr
>>
File: index.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
>>721945312
>I consider myself better than Lennon, Dlyan, Morrison and Cobain combined when it comes to songwriting
>>
>>721946045
I like qotsa better, but EODM is pretty good aswell.
>>
>>721943258
There is no way to answer this question.
In order to accurately answer, i would have to be able to see into the entirety of the future, and also avoid my own biases.

Rock died in the late 90s, and Metal moved to northern Europe.
>>
>>721945627
What about foo-fighters, rise against, red hot chilli Poppers?
>>
Everyone has their own opinion and taste. Nirvana is simple stuff and there were more complex and better bands during that era. Yet nirvana had a certain drive and charisma that did what those other bands didn't do. Basically change music and make musical history during the 90's which is a crazy thing to think about. A bunch of immature punk ass kids
>>
Holy fuck /b/ stop talking about music like you think you know shit, all of you are just circle jerking different shades of radio hit brand name trash tier music. Try getting into literally anything else and expand your shit 'variety', jazz, country, rap, metal, indie, house, dance, prog, psych, ambient, avant garde, post-hardcore, punk, emo, lo-fi, fucking ANYTHING

jesus christ I'm giving myself an aneurysm.
>>
>>721946282
pop rock
>>
>>721945924
>>big band music and jazz
Both popular forms of their day, fell to the wayside for the everyday listener as new forms came along
>>
Why are we even talking about rock when it's obviously so inferior to jazz?
>>
>>721943258
sissyfication of the mainstream
>>
>>721946716
When was the mainstream ever raw?
>>
>>721946716
Good music can have feminine attributes and qualities.
Or by sissyfication you may be talking more about lack of aggression? I see plenty of that in music today
>>
The only good sound kurt cobain ever made was the shotguns
>>
has anyone else had interest in classic music like jazz and blues? rock is dead to me. nothing like some Sinatra or Louise Armstrong to keep me entertained.
>>
>>721946883
your life sounds like a walking meme you're not in on
>>
>>721943258
Suck a cheetah's dick
>>
>>721946941
fucking brilliant comment. I hope that shit is original
>>
>>721943258
Yes. And Cuz nothing lasts forever.
>>
File: 1372833436885.png (343KB, 560x760px) Image search: [Google]
1372833436885.png
343KB, 560x760px
>>721947081
just truth
>>
Why are we even talking about rock when it's obviously so inferior to jazz? >>721946883
John coltrane love?
>>
>>721945312
I guarantee you suck
>>
>>721946941
how's jazz bad? It's better than what's on the radio now. rock is dead to me. music is supposed to convey emotion not convey cookie cutter techniques and money cash grabbing. there's no soul In music these days.
>>
Depends what you mean by "true rockstar." You mean fame wise?

Jack White is probably as famous as Kurt Cobain ever was when he was alive. His suicide is what made him a "legend" after. I was younger at the time but I don't remember Nirvana being any more popular than Green Day or Offspring at the time.
>>
>>721947294
I love jazz, now shut your fedora tipping flap trap and go listen to some Mulatu Astatke
>>
>>721943258
There's still great music op. They just lack the attention/ charisma Kurt did. Check out NOBUNNY cosmonauts the Shivas rock music is very alive just not talked about
>>
>>721947445
A lot of good records are being put out by nobodies you just have to dig
>>
>>721944605
Agrees with all
Same guy
>>
The early rise and fall of MTV set things into motion.
>>
>>721947365
Thiiiiiiisssss
Still a good band tho
>>
>>721943556
>cuz
>deprecion
Fucking kids...
>>
>>721947247
mingus for me
>>
>>721947393
swing it anon.
>>
>>721943258
Bands from today that I think Kurt would dig. Cosmonauts, people and the poodles, nobunny, feels the band, Kim and the created, memories, corners, bleached, TOGETHER pangea. The list goes on. Kurt fucked up
>>
>>721947365
jack white is nowhere near kurt was, even when he was alive. like, not in the same stratosphere.
>>
>>721947615
From what I remember Guns n' Roses was way bigger than Nirvana in the early nineties. Nirvana was kind of just known as "that band that does Smells Like Teen Spirit."

It was more after he died that more people actually listened to the albums.
>>
>>721947737
Fuck Yeah I love Mingus. Cannonball adderley or sonny too?
>>
>>721943258

A multitude of reasons. But they pretty much all started around the time no-talent hacks like Cobain were worshipped as gods. No one seemed to figure out that just cause Curt Cobain deaded hisself, that didn't negate the scientific fact that he still sucks.
>>
>>721947393
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nrxgqhrNnXg
>>
>>721947833
Kurt is just a martyr. He had a damn good ear for a catchy melody and his abstract artistry makes him very attractive to people. Also, he's fucking dead. That said, Jack White is a hell of a lot more talented, any not to mention smarter. Didn't Kurt paint tho? He was just an artist first, Musician second
>>
>>721947787
*pookie and the poodlez
>>
>>721947890
love them all.

sun ra is another guy i've been really interested in again.
>>
File: 115192.jpg (58KB, 480x629px) Image search: [Google]
115192.jpg
58KB, 480x629px
>>
>>721948119
once again, not talking about the music.

kurt was the last rock star. nobody fucking knows jack white. ask 1000 people in the usa if they know him and maybe a handful will say they do.
>>
>>721947247
I can dig that sound anon.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=681-mXSMAj8
>>
>>721947888
True, I'm younger so I don't remember but I definitely put Nirvana on par with The Offspring and Green Day.
>>
I was born with musical anhedonia, that is, I lack the ability to enjoy music. As someone looking in from the outside, is it possible you guys could enjoy your past time without turning it into a dickwaving contest as to how much better ones taste in music is compared to the others?

What is about dead genre's of music that brings out the
wanker in all of you?
>>
>>721948446
Kurt's voice had feels tho anon
>>
File: 1486634353933.png (812KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1486634353933.png
812KB, 600x600px
>>721943258
Yer Killin' Me by Remo Drive

Shut the fuck up and thrash to it you uncultured Faggot.
>>
>>721948306
Everyone under the age of 30 has at least heard of him.
>>
>>721948497
Like a person born blind trying to comprehend the colour red, I don't think you would understand.
>>
>>721948497
Oh look, the person who lacks the ability to enjoy music also lacks the ability to appreciate a discussion without assuming its a 'dickwaving contest'.

You were born with stupid. Theres no fancy name for it, you're just stupid.

kys
>>
The only *cool* guitar I know how to play is Nirvana so I love Nirvana
>>
>>721948849
Lol everything is some kind of "condition" now days. Musical anhedonia what in the fuck? That's not a thing.
>>
>>721948794
wrong. maybe a handful in a thousand.
>>
>>721945312
I'm a musician too, published recording artist. I've been played on BBC, NPR, CBC and all kinds of other FM all around the world, all without plugging it or trying to convince people of anything. If you type my name into Google, about the first 40 sites will be concerning me and my music. And not once have I ever boasted or talked it up like you, or somebody like Kayne West does. The industry is full of you little faggots. You have zero talent, I garuntee it. Otherwise you wouldn't be bragging about it. You're not a musician, you're a persona that you've created. I wouldn't even listen to your shit if you paid me, it would be horrible anyway. Enjoy your pussy, faggot.
>>
>>721948794
Different anon here, but no, you're very wrong. First, most people under 30 don't have a fucking clue of who they're listening to at any given moment. They may have heard of The White Stripes, but nobody gives a flying fuck about Jack White himself.

Furthermore, Jack White should never be considered a 'rock star', much less a 'true rock star'. Name ONE rock star that has his wife/ex-wife/complicated girlfriend/sister backing him up on drums. You can't. Because rock stars don't do that. Pussy-whipped fagboys do that.
>>
>>721949046
do you have a publicist?
>>
>>721949072
>fagboy
This fucking guy and his definitions of "rock star." Lol Freddy Mercury was a literal homo, who sucked dick. Pretty sure Kurt Cobain had some gay bisexual experiences too.
>>
>>721949046
you're cool. npr is my go to station. don't tell me you're the wait wait don't tell me theme song writer?
>>
File: jim duggan.jpg (15KB, 144x243px) Image search: [Google]
jim duggan.jpg
15KB, 144x243px
>>721947365
>Jack White is probably as famous as Kurt Cobain ever was
Wut
>>
>>721948997
I was born with polymorphic genitalia syndrome, that is, my dick becomes geometric when I get aroused.

See some titties? *BOOM* Icosohedron.
Fine ass walkin by? *BOOM* Hexagon Prism.
Lap dance at the strip club? *BOOM* Fuckin RHOMBUS.
>>
>>721949342
Its not about the sexual preference of the rock star, its about dragging their personal entanglements on stage, regardless of talent (or lack thereof). If I wanted to start a band, my girlfriend would probably insist on being a part of it, despite the fact that she's absolutely tone-deaf and has never touched an instrument except to move my guitar for better access to my penis. A 'rock star' would shut that clingy shit down and tell the bitch to take a hike.
>>
>>721949280
I take care of my own promo. I write letters mostly. People underestimate the power of a handwritten letter to somebody of influence in the industry. It's not a business/money making machine. I couldn't give two shits about money, I have enough of it. I just want the right people to be able to get even a fraction out of my art than what I've put into it. It's my purpose for being here, to make the world better than when I entered it. The last few years I'm off to a good start. Money is gone when you're dead, your legacy is what lives on.
>>
>>721949280
Sorry, I should have mentioned, I have a label. But having a label hasn't made me much money really. But they have given me an online presence I would have otherwise not had. They've done the most important thing: helped spread my music to the right audience.
>>
>>721943258
cobain sucked and anyone that thinks otherwise is a fucking idiot. look at that pic, he can't understand why people are paying to listen to his shit
>>
>>721943258
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyIrInZp49U&index=94&list=PLf6DscQVLI3twMn_QZfWw-AHr9fO37Nvl
>>
I think it's because rock is becoming irrelevant as a music group. It's split off into many distinctive styles. People don't use the term anymore, it seems, unless they're talking about washed-up radio shit. So maybe Cobain was the last true rock star (though, spoiler alert: Maynard still exists). Still, that doesn't mean there weren't stars didn't come after him; they just weren't associated with "rock" which has become almost an irrelevant term.
>>
>>721943258
Steve Harwell was the last great rockstar.

He knew how to get the show on and get paid
>>
>>721943258
Jason Burton of "Not a Part of It"
>>
The last time rock music was really relevant among youth was the early 2000s with the pop punk craze. Blink 182, Good Charlotte, Sum 41, Green Day, all that shit. It was everywhere in movies and TV. American Idiot was the last major rock album.
>>
>>721950401
it's all mumford and sons fault. it was their music that killed rock. every band needed to say hey and clap and go indie and go folk. every band needed to be folk to be cool afterward.
>>
>>721943258

No, Cobain wasn't the last true "Rock Star". He was a talented but ultimately mid-level talent who couldn't cope with his own limitations and blew his brains out because he knew that eventually the fact that he was barely a step up above the Everclears and Nicklebacks of the world was going to be uncovered.

The guy doesn't kill himself and you would have seen the same things play out. The form (Rock) was in its last stages before fracturing into a bunch of different kinds of music. He just had the most timely suicide. All through the history of rock people have died and vaulted their legacies into being immortal talents. Buddy Holly wasn't going to go on to greater things in the 60's. He'd have been plowed under by the British Invasion just like everyone else. Janis Joplin, Jimmy Hendrix, and Jim Morrison all died young but odds are the all or most of them had done their best work already and the rest of it was going to be a long series of pretentious bullshit music that never recaptured that. In a lot of ways they owed their long-term fame to their deaths and not necessarily to their talent.
>>
File: 1486681649791.jpg (94KB, 242x360px) Image search: [Google]
1486681649791.jpg
94KB, 242x360px
>>721949046
>>721949856
>>
>>721950576
Yes. This.
>>
>>721949856
Irony at its finest if you dig through the replies
>>
>>721950778
I said the guy was a piece of shit for calling himself a musical God. I stand by that. My point is that it's still possible to have success while still being humble. Let your music do the work for you if it's that good. If your ego is what's getting that guy into clubs and pussy, he's not really a musician is he. He's a con artist.
>>
>>721943258
Is rock really shit though? Or have you been conditioned by a music industry intent on pushing as much teeny pop crap because they can have a team of people write shitty manufactured songs and interchange the singer when they aren't 'cool' anymore.

Rock bands take a couple of years to make a decent record, and your shothead Biebers and Kanyes can pump out 2-3 records in that time.
>>
Because more and more people are starting to autotune themselves
>>
Pfft, 'the last true rockstar'.
Such a limited scope of musical knowledge, my friend
Listen to Myles Kennedy, Mark Tremonti, John Frusciante, Zakk Wylde, Frank Carter and Ghost.
There's no point in making shortsighted comments luke that when your only avenues for 'rock' are facebook and the radio. Sheesh.
>>
>>721943258

Kurt Cobain was never good.
>>
>>721943258
you are retarded m8
>>
>>721943258
Cobain was fucking shit, glad that little faggot is dead
>>
>>721950972
Post your work or btfo to your aunts basement to learn bass from your uncle
>>
>>721952162
I wouldn't post anything here. Clearly this isn't the audience for it.
I'll post this instead, I'm sure most people here will enjoy this much more.
>>
>>721945272

So what? Being a virtuoso doesn't make you write good music.

In comparison, someone with beautiful handwriting, doesn't necessarily know how to write a bestselling book.

Kurt Cobain wrote good songs, despite not being a "good" singer/guitarist. However, his voice stood out.
>>
>>721952496
Maybe Drain you. And "Dumb". That's about it anon
>>
>>721949435
kek'd
>>
File: kqNHOyD.jpg (62KB, 623x713px) Image search: [Google]
kqNHOyD.jpg
62KB, 623x713px
>>721952680
Smells Like Teen Spirit was the most important song of that fucking decade. I'm 36, I was there.
This thread is chalk full of people who don't have a fucking clue about anything but feel the need to tell everyone their opinion anyway. I guess that's what the entire board is now.
>>
Rock and Roll, as it was, is dead. Rock and Roll, in general, has died. It'll come back, and one may argue it's returning. I wouldn't know. I listen to indie bands and weird alt rock. Rock and Roll will never return, Kurt Cobain was the last slayer of pussy, drug abusing, and incredibly influential rocker to live. Rock and Roll is dead, but the spirit is not. I believe that the indie scene will be the, albeit small, revival of Rock, but that's just my stupid opinion with my shitty taste in music.
>>
>>721952978
You were like twelve you fuck. I was there I was 20 and so tired of the hair bands. Grunge saved my life. When Kurt died I quit listening to music.
>>
>>721949442
I kek'd
>>
>>721949442
Sounds more like Euclidean erection disorder. You should see a doctor.

>Fuckin RHOMBUS.
>Top fucking kek, anon.
>>
File: emo-fags_o_563165.jpg (49KB, 560x432px) Image search: [Google]
emo-fags_o_563165.jpg
49KB, 560x432px
>>721953221
12 was the perfect age to be when grunge hit. Nirvana changed my life. It made me a fucking man.
Look at what 12 year olds are listening to now. And we're surprised that they're all faggots?
>>
>>721943556
lern tu english fucker, how hard is it to type out full words and learn spelling? How old are you? Either underage and ban or just totally shit in the noggin
>>721943258
>Rock isn't shit, mainstream rock is shit. The difference is mainstream rock had some gems that came to the spotlight in the 90s but that will never happen because it's no longer the most profitable/ popular genre. It's like how with hip hop today there is a lot of trash but there are still people like Kendrick Lamar spearheading quality. Rock no longer has the voice to show its "good" artists, but that doesn't mean they're not there.
>>
>>721943258
Because the only rock you listen to is mainstream rock. Kurt Cobain becoming mainstream was a fluke, good rock is rarely liked by enough people to go mainstream. Recording companies throw everything they can out there to see what sticks. Usually, the catchiest tune sticks and it doesn't have to be good to be catchy.
>>
>>721953626
Wrong. Record companies haven't done that since the 70's.
Record companies have teams who decide what the people will like, and they spend millions pushing that product. They stopped asking what the people liked a long time ago when they realized they could tell them instead.
>>
>>721953815
Obviously there are exceptions though, like Nirvana. You very rarely see that in the past 30 years though.
>>
>>721943258
Pssshtt...

Lemmy was the last fucking rock star.
>>
>>721953815
Beiber, Traynor, Swift, reality show winners, etc. I could go on. They ARE doing it. People in their mid teens buy crap en masse because it's on the air and don't realize it's crap until puberty ends and reason sets in. Admit it, most of the stuff you liked in your mid teens is crap. Those are the songs NOT playing on classic rock stations.
>>
>>721953936
Lemmy was a talentless alcoholic and you know it
>>
Kurt Cobain is a gotdamn NW treasure
>>
>>721954010
>reality show winners
Oh good Lord, how organic. Reality shows are definitely not a platform to spoon-feed the masses their latest pop star.
Take a look at how Nirvana got to be the biggest band on the planet. It's different.
>>
>>721954483
WHat about people like justin bieber or the jonas brothers? Arent/werent they shill to the max by media for the little ones? Why cant we harken bakc ot the old days of good old rock and roll? Let's get some fucking led zepplin like stuff on the radio, lets get some ACDC. the last good mainstream success band was system of a down
>>
>>721945409
All these I agree with. But Axl? Come on dude.
>>
>>721943258
not even joking, he's a pretentious fuck, and my reasoning for saying that simply lies in the song "In Bloom". are you fucking joking kurt? you write a god damn song about how "oh, no one can understand these deep words i sing. no one TRULY knows what i'm saying". shut the fuck up, you piece of shit. your songs aren't even complex or that metaphoric. and that's your writing of lyrics. how about your fucking guitar playing? nothing you do is complex, and don't give me that bullshit "complexity comes from the genius simplicity of it all", because that's garbage. he's a terrible guitarist who writes power chord riffs that any fucking middle schooler can write just from playing around, except this guy actually turned those into songs. he thought he was such a big deal, like, he's a huge fucking star, when in reality he was nothing but a punk. you know, half the time, people would pay to see him and he wouldn't even come out on stage? are you fucking joking? wow man, let the world lick your fucking feet. please let us carry you everywhere, Mr. Cobain, anything to keep you safe in your cozy little world. fuck off, Kurt Cobain.
>>
>>721944705

Morrison was nothing more than the Bieber of his time. Was he a better writer? Sure. However Morrison used to get so drunk people wouldn't stop to help because that was his thing. He was always fucking up.
>>
>>721954962

So drunk that he would pass out in the streets*
>>
>>721954919
Kurt would agree with you. You hate the image his fans have of him. He was the most reluctant rock star ever. He even made fun of his fans and how they mimicked him and Seattle residents/ bands.
>>
>>721943258

Simple answer is YES.
>>
>>721955072

Cobain got EXACTLY what he wanted and couldn't handle it.
>>
>>721954919
Oooh somebody's salty!
You should have been there /b/ro. It was like what I imagine Beatlemania must have been like, or when Elvis first appeared.
Plus the music is good. Solid aggression, witty ADHD fueled lyrics that spoke to millions and millions. Don't be so butthurt, other people are allowed to like something you don't. And btw I think you should go back and read the lyrics for In Bloom, I'm not sure why you focused on that one in particular, they don't really mean anything in particular.
>>
I've long thought that nobody may voice an opinion of his life, music or death unless they were actually listening to his stuff when he was alive.
>>
File: LAYNE-STALEY[1].jpg (66KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
LAYNE-STALEY[1].jpg
66KB, 1280x720px
>>721943258

Well considering Layne Staley stuck around until 2002 and Jerry Cantrell is still with us, I'd say Kurt was in no way the last true rock star.
>>
>>721943258
he was no rockstar
>>
>>721944173
They had zero talent besides dave. Just barred core crap
>>
>>721945854
Bullshit. Rock without the guitar solo is trash. Kurt couldn't play for shit
>>
>>721956247
YouTube the song "sappy" the guitar solo is a little more than halfway through the song. That solo was pretty good for a Kurt. Also the solo in "blew"
>>
I'm just here to mention the Melvins

since you're obviously all fuckin kids who don't know anything about the kind of music Nirfagna were trying to tap into
>>
Josh Homme was pre Cobaine, and if "nicotine valum vikodin marijuana ecstasy and alcohol; c-c-c-cocaine" isn't rock in roll as fuck, you need to graduate the 7th grade. Fucks sake, mars volta broke up via twitter. These fuck faces made frances the mute, and a couple years later made that one shit album after octohedron, followed by a public break up on social media. Rock and roll died cause every spoiled mother fucker thought they could form a band and shove it down our throats. Same way every mother fucker thought they were a dj a couple years ago.
>>
>>721943258
"Rock star"

implying nirvana played rock, and not some dregs called grunge worthy only of deranged fags high on bath salts.

He killed himself 10 years too late. Should have spared the world the abomination of his "music."
>>
>>721946398
That's bullshit. Sonic youth was doing it in the 70s
>>
>>721956247
He could play, listen to the Bleach album from 89 and the Fecal Matter band from like 1985. He thought guitar solos were stupid so he started to make noise instead. Did you know Billy Corgan did the same thing, and is more of a shredder than likely anybody from that era?
>>
>>721956511
And the pixies. Nirvana weren't the great innovators the media portrays them as, just charismatic
>>
>>721946562
Red hot chili peppers started the funk punk genre. You're retarded
>>
>>721944173
Idiots understanding of overrated

Things can still be good and be overrated.
>>
>>721956547
And that's why aside from a few bands rock was horrible in the 90s. He couldn't play though it was just barrred cord trash. Band like soundgarden, faith no more, rhcp were way better. They were talented
>>
>>721943258
Knowing Kurt's taste in music Ive always wondered if he'd ever listened to spacemen 3 or any of those "shoe gaze " bands. Pretty much up his alley. Like if he were around now what music would he listen to, currently. Anon posted the cosmonauts which is a pretty good assessment. In a way burger records has Kurt's finger prints all over it. He was the original hipster
>>
>>721948849
But hes kind of right. You are all jerking each other about your taste in music.
>>
>>721956783
But they lacked that cosmic depth Kurt put forth in his art
>>
>>721956886
I heard he liked alanis morrisette,fiona apple and P.J. Harvey lol girl power
>>
is it weird that I always correlated Kurt's persona to Eric draven from the crow lol....yeah I don't get it either maybe it's just an early 90s thing. Like how every pre teen was John Connor in 92
>>
File: tmp_6424-980x-1872504487.jpg (222KB, 700x850px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6424-980x-1872504487.jpg
222KB, 700x850px
The last true rockstar
>>
File: alan_partridge.jpg (394KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
alan_partridge.jpg
394KB, 2048x1536px
>>721956187
>Foo Fighters > Nirnana
And Wings were the band the Beatles could have been.
>>
>>721943556
Go tell your mom that her pussy took a shit.
>>
>>721957614
SMELL MY CHEESE YOU MOTHER
>>
>>721943258
Piracy
>>
>>721943258

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhyzGDPwmYU
>>
>>721943258
Listened the shit out of nirvana in my teens, now it doesnät even reach my radar, too depressing, i guess nirvana paved the way for emo bands ect.
>>
>>721943258
Nah, Brad Nowell was in my mind. He was even in the unique position to have become a superstar after his death, which definitely adds to the mystique.
>>
liam gallagher is the last great rockstar.
>>
>>721957432
this
>>
kodak black is the modern cobain and mumble rap is the new grunge
>>
At least rock lasted a lot longer than rap
Rock lasted from 60's-90's
Rap died around 2004-2005
>>
>>721955748
Yeah but after 1996 Layne was basically in seclusion for 6 years
>>
>>721958234
not too far from the truth. Nirvana and other acts of the time achieved fame through their rough and ready take on rock music. nowadays you get kids pirating copies of FL Studio, making stripped back beats and preset synths, uploading to Soundcloud and forming their own aesthetic to be copied ad nauseum
>>
>>721943258
He wasn't, Nirvana was shit. People only acted like they were good because he blew his brains out, just like prince, bowie, and MJ. Though you're right, music now is total shit too.
>>
>>721958585
pretty sure nirvana were hitting mainstream charts way before kurt cobain killed himself...
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 640x618px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 640x618px
>>721943258
>rock star
>mr corbain was a grunge star
Fuck you hipster fuck with your waxed fucking twat tash and that fucking shit eating fair trade coffee drinking cocksucking tramp rimming face
>>
Their music may have been overrated, but their story was absolutely inspirational in every way possible.
>>
>>721958585
Nivarana shit
Just a group of groundbreaking young men who shaped a generation in the 90's
Go on say basic gitarist chords and riffs hu it's too simple
>>
>>721958698
Cobains song was so shitty he commited suicide. Nuff said.
>>
I love Nirvana, they have really catchy melody and hooks but very raw and rough sound

I like
Mexican Seafood
Negative Creep
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Come As You Are
In Bloom
Lithium
Lounge Act
Dumb
All Apologies
Pennyroyal Tea
Incesticide
Nirvana Unplugged

Nevermind is their weakest album besides the singles
>>
Soundgarden is better
>>
>>721959485
yrs
>>
>>721944598
Also an elderfag, also around when he died... actually lived in Aberdeen pretty close when they formed. It did not catapult them into overdrive. They were already huge. Nevermind was everywhere in the early 90s, and In Utero was fucking mainstream. The fact that they were effectively sold out, had five no. 1 songs on the charts, and that the studios had convinced them to do this were major reasons Cobain killed himself. Nirvana would have burned out within a few years if he hadn't. All his death did was convince the music industry, critics, and future generations that Nirvana was one of the best bands out of the Alternative movement. Which is true. But people now don't recognize that they really did sell out.
>>
>>721958974
Wow you know you must be over 18 to use /b/ right
Everone knows that Dave ghroll killed him for the unpublished songs
>hero (curt )
>learn to fly (curt)
>>
>>721959727
They sold out but then they came back with In Utero which might be their best album
>>
>>721960084
I think they were all good, in their way, but In Utero was post sellout. And it was distinctly more produced, and fit mainstream tastes at the time. My (subjectively) favorite album is Unplugged in New York. It did a lot the other more produced albums could not, while covering their generally better late music.
>>
File: 1481115420827.jpg (54KB, 600x571px) Image search: [Google]
1481115420827.jpg
54KB, 600x571px
I can only speak from my own personal experience being at high school when Nirvana were big. The problem was that only the rich kids liked Nirvana - bought the albums, wore the clothes, owned the merchandise, and talked to each other in Kurt Cobain quotes. Poor kids, like me, passed around Weezer and Green Day cassettes. I found myself wondering if that was what Cobain really wanted. To write music that somehow taps into the repressed psyche of the white American upper middle class.

I knew it was bad when I was babysitting for a wealthy couple I knew, and amongst their Phil Collins and Enya albums, they had a copy of Nevermind.
>>
>>721945745

>Josh Homme is an unknown

You need to learn to use the fucking internet to find music or you'll keep saying stupid shit like that you
double
nigger
>>
>>721947888
Axl Rose viewed Nirvana and the Seattle scene as a threat to his dominance, I would say Nevermind was more popular than Lose your illusion that released at the same time, Metallica became mainstream with their album too
>>
Kurt cobain was a junkie. Plain and simple.
>>
>>721943258
Nirvana is extremely overrated and the only people who like him are edgy teens that heard only 1 of his songs
>>
File: thats_what_I_call.jpg (34KB, 550x633px) Image search: [Google]
thats_what_I_call.jpg
34KB, 550x633px
>>721961646
>>
>>721945436
Yeah he was. He didn't even really fucking sing. He was always that monotone bullshit.
Thread posts: 194
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.