[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

going to college soon, give me advice /b/

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 28

File: tiers.jpg (108KB, 1070x898px) Image search: [Google]
tiers.jpg
108KB, 1070x898px
going to college soon, give me advice /b/
>>
>>720567068
shameless self bump
>>
File: indiana-jones_o_1075127.jpg (49KB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
indiana-jones_o_1075127.jpg
49KB, 640x492px
>>720567068
>Archaeology
you can literally be Indiana Jones
>>
Make an effort. Don't go in with the mentality of 'Ah well I'll just pass my classes and then get outta here'.

Say yes to as much as you can (obviously within reason, don't say yes to hard drugs or anything). Take every opportunity that comes your way, they will all come during the first year pretty much.

If you get into a good group of friends, don't just settle and stop trying to make friends elsewhere, I made that mistake and now they've all kind of split off into other groups and I'm a nowhere man.

Whatever course you do, try to take an active interest in it and enjoy what you do. It's not like high school, where its just a matter of getting your grades and being done with it, you can get a lot of enjoyment from a degree if you actually try to explore the subject further than what is required to pass.
>>
Economics and business should at least mid to top tier.
>>
>>720567295
>memecenter
jesus christ
>>
>>720567681
what's wrong with memecenter?
>>
>>720567068
Your loans are going to fuck you. Live like a student in college so you don't have to after you graduate. Borrow only what you absolutely need to pay tuition, Avoid private student loan companies (like discover) whenever possible, avoid variable interest rates whenever possible. Get a job while in school, make every effort to pay the interest on the loans, if you can pay down the loans as well. If you have money for beer (natty light does not count as beer) you have money to pay your loan.

Student loans add up quickly, if you take them out per year or per semester it can be very easy to lose sight of just how much you're going to be paying back when you graduate. Its also very easy to over estimate your starting income.

I'm going to ballpark it for you, I had a few loans through discover, all at variable interest rates. I didn't do any of what I suggested to you in my post, I had around 75k in debt when I graduated. My monthly payments on those loans were close to $800 and I would have been paying that for the next 15-20 years.

That level of debt really fucks you over when you're first starting out. Good luck saving for a house or retirement when you've already got a major chunk of a mortgage payment going to student loans every month.

That's my advice, its worth more than me suggesting what major above shit tier you should select.
>>
If you are going to get an education, pic a field you have a talent for.
They cant teach talent, they can only enhance the talent you got by giving you education.
>>
>>720567068
Feminist Studies. It's all you deserve for censoring the picture.
>>
>>720567068
philosophy disagrees with your arbitrary assortment.
Philosophy is God-tier for transformative education. Hell yeah, it's somewhat of a shitty career choice fo sho (studied it), but it my talent, passion, enjoyment. Half of it's shit is irrelevant to most but you make your life what it's purpose/fulfillment is and you're golden. All these lists do is to seek validation in the value of assigning certain personal/interpersonal subjects a value. SO boring. When will humans stop trying to see themselves in others as a another source of guilt-free shaming.

iunno
>>
Chemistry
>>
>>720567973
Me again. For classes, get there on time, sit in the front row and interact with the instructor whenever possible. Doing this shows you at least give a shit and will separate you from about 80% of your peers who are just there because its 13th grade. Doing this will also buy you some capital with the prof so in the event you fuck up, or want to bail on a class or something they're more likely to cut you a break than if they thought you were a slacker to begin with.
>>
File: 1f729e95e5694fa781ad5cb323879c79.jpg (433KB, 1152x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1f729e95e5694fa781ad5cb323879c79.jpg
433KB, 1152x1536px
>>720568024
>philosophy disagrees with your arbitrary assortment.

you can google it the chart is at least somewhat accurate, income by degree

nigger, you studied philosophy, arguing on 4chan about your own self worth is literally the only thing youre qualified to do. You cant even get pussy with philosophy what is wrong with you

Are you female? Why would you study philosophy. Philosophy literally requires you to marry a partner who makes 3x more money than you for you to have a good life. i hope youre female for your own sake
>>
>>720567068
low mid and top are all arguable but god and shit are pretty accurate imo.
>>
>>720567068
>law
>medicine
These aren't undergraduate degrees
>Physics
>Astronomy
Enjoy your useless degree with no money
>Kinesiology
lol
>Business Studies
wtf is this bullshit?
>Information technology
Is this a fucking trade school? Major in CS retard
>>
>>720568384
I'd argue most of God is wrong or at least not specific enough.

>Math
>Chem
>Phys
How many jobs are there in these without being applied?

>Astronomy
Are there any jobs period?

>Engineering
There are well over a dozen different types, and I can assure you not all types are created equal in finding a job.
>>
File: 1405034418761.jpg (179KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1405034418761.jpg
179KB, 640x480px
>>720568520

i just researched the degrees, you have no idea what IT and physics is, so just leave the thread?

pic related its you

Like dont even do your fag bullshit where you harass me for 45 minutes just leave
>>
>>720567068
Lol, Computer science mid tier? The natural sciences are "God Tier"?

That's some bullshit right there.

Natural sciences pay absolute junk unless you can go into something applicable to the industry that you need; so unless you're a biochemical engineer, or an engineer of some type (electrical, mechanical, etc), you're not going to make dick for cash with a hard science degree.

Physics has the best chances of breaking out and making some sort of money, if you're lucky enough to get hired at an engineering company running tests and providing outlines for engineers to follow, but it's not very likely without a masters to PHD.

Computer science on the other hand, is pretty fucking much the way of the future. Programming, Security, Networking, Servers, etc etc. There's not one field in computer science that isn't going to see expansion and development in the future.

Saying the tech bubble is going to burst is like saying you no longer need mechanics, car technicians, plumbers, etc. You're always going to need them, and the technology is getting more advanced, sophisticated, and more importantly, widespread.

The only fucking Achilles heel to this is the fact that in the IT field, experience is much more important than education. Education only helps in attaining a higher salary from whatever they offer you as a base salary; but experience with the technology is what truly gets you paid.

Go to school, sure, but do it half time and try to get some kind of schollarship, pell grant, or some other bullshit where someone pays for you and you get the school for free.

If you're picking up student loans to pay for your school, it's not worth it. Go get experience working in tech and move your way up.

Start at an entry level position, and start making lateral movements; learn everything you can, and then move up as you hop companies after working at each for about a year and a half, two years.
>>
>>720567068
>PARTY WITH RESTRAINT
You are there for school, not parties
Remember what is important
>STUDY STUDY STUDY
I was number top of my class, nearly perfect SAT and ACT, AP scholar and got into an Ivy. When I got there, I thought it was going to be a cakewalk. Boy was I wrong. In fact I nearly failed a class. You must have the discipline to sit your ass down for a few hours to study for those hard classes or exams. This is especially true if your parents are footing the bill. For fucks sake if you get yourself into crippling debt who cares but don't make your parents take out a second mortgage and then drop out due to shit grades
>APPLY FOR MONIES
If your school has a large endowment, there is will be literal millions of dollars worth of financial aid for you to claim. Even if your school isn't super wealthy, still look around. If you qualify as a work-student, then get a damn job
>ENJOY IT
The college life is fucking amazing. Enjoy yourself. I remember my Yale interviewer telling me that the only ones who succeed are those who are truly content with themselves. The collegiate experience is something few people get to experience and it will only be as good as you make it.
>>
>>720567068
im sorry did you just put psychology and IT in the same tier of the same low tier
>>
>>720568520
You can do pretty much anything with a physics degree.
>>
>>720568705
OP confirmed retard

major in whatever you want i guess, enjoy flunking out of school in 6 months.
>>
>>720567068
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GifS4zwggE
>>
File: giphy.gif (945KB, 346x263px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
945KB, 346x263px
>>720569020
kek
>>
I study physics and psychology, at the same time. Which tier does that make me, then ?
>>
>>720569066
Did you double major?
>>
>>720567068
Don't go unless you know what you want to study and what field you're planning to work in, as well as figure out how long it takes to get hired and about how long it'd take to pay back the debts you'll get. Do not go just to "find youself" or "figure things out"
>>
>>720567068
>astronomy
>god tier
kek, good luck getting a job

Economics is the best
>>
>>720568978
you can do pretty much anything with any degree. the only useful thing about physics to a job seeker is the quantitative aspects, just major in math or engineering if that's what you want. There are no "Pure Physics" jobs out there unless you are like top 1% (even then you get shit pay) which i guarantee you OP isn't.
>>
File: gay5h33h4ht4.jpg (95KB, 552x724px) Image search: [Google]
gay5h33h4ht4.jpg
95KB, 552x724px
>>720568756

i keep hearing the same shit, but how do you get around this... the only reason the faculty are encouraged to make you think you had a good time is to make you leave money to the school in your will

The second one is "get a job get a job get a job get a job" over and over again, but what if you spend more time studying, what sort of 40 dollars an hour job are you going to find in college that makes it worth not spending that time studying

>>720569011
>OP confirmed retard

Here's how to avoid looking like a retard, say something, rather than using calling people retards as an "argument"

>major in whatever you want i guess, enjoy flunking out of school in 6 months.

I'm going to school for math and my success has nothing to with a random fuckin homo on 4chan, why would you think it does, because you studied philosophy? The only good part about philosophy is you could probably trade your diploma to some homeless for a gun and a bullet so you could kill yourself
>>
>>720569101
Not yet. Currently finishing physics (high energy), and 3rd year of psychology.
>>
>>720569160
>I'm going to school for math

What is the point of this thread OP?
>>
>>720568756
>I was number top of my class

You know how i know you are lying?
>>
>>720568736
>The only fucking Achilles heel to this is the fact that in the IT field, experience is much more important than education. Education only helps in attaining a higher salary from whatever they offer you as a base salary; but experience with the technology is what truly gets you paid.

Motherfucking this. The best devs at my company don't even have degrees, they got into programming because they enjoyed it and wanted to learn on their own. 10-20-30 years down the line and they're absolutely phenomenal sources of tech knowledge.
>>
Implying a programmer is mid-tier, while a statistician is top-tier. I'm a programmer, and my job Is literally all about making your jobs redundant.
>>
>>720567068

About to graduate with a Media Production degree here

suppose i went with what I enjoy learning about, trying to get into working in television

will be super competitive for long hours and shitty pay but, eventually if you are successful you can earn quite a lot.

Maybe I would make more money if i went to study physics or mathematics, but I would be bored as fuck, and probably end up much less successful because of that alone

what is the difference in wage packet between say a £22,000 / $27,500 salary runner job and entry level maths graduate or physics graduate job

also how difficult are the maths and physics jobs to get?

if you graduate with a law degree from a shit university it doesn't really help you become a lawyer, is this the case with maths and physics?
>>
File: AkGds2A - Imgur.jpg (37KB, 536x617px) Image search: [Google]
AkGds2A - Imgur.jpg
37KB, 536x617px
>>720569159
>you can do pretty much anything with any degree.

Thats no longer true

>just major in math or engineering if that's what you want. There are no "Pure Physics" jobs out there

I could correct you because i just did the research but i literally dont care if you have the right info or not

>>720568678
for you to be right in any way, most of your comment is left vague, but where you did start to narrow yourself down, for you to be right in any possible way would require specific conditions, etc, nothing from what you said is useful

>>720569318
>What is the point of this thread OP?
Whats the point of calling me OP or whats the point of being some retarded fucking fag who studies philosophy, gets upset, then decides because he studied philosophy he's qualified to tell people what's up on 4chan
>>
>>720569430
>I just did the research
Like on the internet? Good work I'm sure no one lies to you on there. besides, there are pure physics jobs, but you have to be really fucking smart, and you aren't
>>
im in architecture right now. it pays very well when i graduate. base wage of about £45,000 a year. and thats minimum.

i wanna be an architect, i am happy with my decision.
downside is im writing a report on fucking bricks right now. i dont want to be doing this. but it is already late.
ive been here literally all day. at this point id rather be hit in the head with a brick rather than write more on the fuckers
>>
File: 3 deadliest drugs.jpg (57KB, 800x1382px) Image search: [Google]
3 deadliest drugs.jpg
57KB, 800x1382px
>>720569418
>Motherfucking this. The best devs at my company don't even have degrees, they got into programming because

Programming is based on ability not school

>>720569428
>About to graduate with a Media Production degree here

Yes, in fact, being disqualified when it comes to saying anything at all means you should be in this thread

>>720569575
>Like on the internet? Good work I'm sure no one lies to you on there.

The argument that no research can be done at all, ever, in any possible way, is what caused you to study philosophy, however, in the real world, you know what? i wont even teach you how to research, lmao, hold onto your beliefs. It helped drive you into the ground which is exactly where you're supposed to be.

Imagine if you actually got pussy and impregnated something lmao
>>
>>720569160
Regarding happiness, there are schools that genuinely give a shit about your quality of life. If they don't make friends. Jesus, true friends in college are a godsend. Studybuddies make your life infinitely easier. Anyways, explore the area around your college. Do some shit you've never done before. Try and hit on some slutty sorority girls i dunno. There are a lot of ways to entertain yourself on campus. The endowment part may be true, but for many wealthy schools, they really couldn't give a shit. Like harvard has a $30b endowment. They couldn't care less

About work: You will not find a 40/hr job as a student. But work opportunities, especially on campus , are tremendously flexible and help to ease the pain of loans while also providing a small disposable income. My roommate works as a lab assistant, and his job, from what I understand, has quite a bit of downtime that allows him to study. Remember you don't always need to study. There are some classes are will make high school courses look difficult. Remember there are also always scholarship opportunities and grants and shit too. Just one example would be the ROTC program, if you are inclined to serve of course.
>>
>>720569391
I meant to type number one, then decided to change it to "top of my class". But of course I forgot to omit the 'number'
>>
>>720567068

>Computer Science
>Mid Tier
>>
>>720569430
Someone's mad he got disagreed with, but since I have the BLS Handbook up anyway, I'll drop some facts on your arrogant ass.

I said there were no jobs in pure math, chem, physics, and astronomy:
>Chemist: 3% job growth (2,600 total new jobs in 10 years)
>Physicists/Astronomer: 7% job growth (2,600 total new jobs in 10 years, requires a Doctorate)
>Mathematician: 21% job growth (but only 700 new jobs in 10 years, usually needs a Masters)

I think that's a good enough place to start. So, useful enough for you?
>>
File: 13076641-11747365425464--2-.jpg (98KB, 937x470px) Image search: [Google]
13076641-11747365425464--2-.jpg
98KB, 937x470px
>>720567068
i study bitches
>>
>>720567068
Don't fucking waste your money (or, more likely, your parents' money) by screwing around drinking too much, carousing, or joining any damn fraternity that glorifies rape. If you're there to party, don't bother going. Learn a trade, otherwise.
>>
>>720569968
Ohhh so you're pre-vet?
>>
>>720567068
Don't do heroin, or opiates, no matter how good they feel. No really. Don't.
>>
File: blackh8787h87h.jpg (762KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
blackh8787h87h.jpg
762KB, 2048x1536px
>>720569964
>Someone's mad he got disagreed with

just go kill yourself like why are you still here
>>
>>720569999
Quads confirm. Join honor societies though
>>
>>720569964
Phys/astronomer was only 1,500 new jobs. My mistake.
>>
>>720570031
To trigger oversensitive babies like you who didn't even read my entire comment before losing his shit.
>>
>>720567068
Try to find work during your studies. If you can't work, then do internships. It will pay of A LOT in the future, trust me.
>>
>>720567068
>computer science in mid tier
Whoever made this flunked out of CS degree and is butthurt. Computer science is for sure God Tier.
>>
File: 1394192443356.jpg (305KB, 2080x1170px) Image search: [Google]
1394192443356.jpg
305KB, 2080x1170px
>>720570040

Its okay you started out admitting you took philosophy, then you spent a few posts being upset, then you claimed no research can be done at all, and then you decided to copy paste some random shit you googled from your lowly viewpoint, I dont think anybody will ever read anything you say anywhere you go

Why would i need some retarded fucking faggot painting over the genuine research and knowledge i have of degrees, like why, why would i need some retarded fucking homo destroying the wealth if information i have and replacing it with him trying to give himself validity, which he'll never have, by copy pasting some random shit from the web

>>720570131
>To trigger oversensitive babies

like look at this you cant even talk its all nonstop faggot bullshit because you think other males get sexually frustrated at the pop of a cork the way you do
>>
>>720569160
>The second one is "get a job get a job get a job get a job" over and over again, but what if you spend more time studying, what sort of 40 dollars an hour job are you going to find in college that makes it worth not spending that time studying

Confirmed for either being that young or having mommy and daddy paying his way. The reason people are telling you this is because they experienced it first hand and they're trying to help you.

>>720569160
>I'm going to school for math
Then do some compounding interest calculation on student loans. Then figure out what would happen if you worked 10-20 hours a week made payments to those loans, or even had to borrow less because of it. You're making extra payments at the start of a 15-20 year loan. All of that is going to add up.
>>
What are you smoking OP? Business studies and economics are where the money's at.
>>
>Implying womens studies is anywhere near the same level as history.
>>
File: gaypeople453345345.jpg (90KB, 507x675px) Image search: [Google]
gaypeople453345345.jpg
90KB, 507x675px
>>720570243

Im not even reading your shit just kill yourself do it youll feel better

Pic related, its you
>>
>>720569426
This motivates me, Anon, any specific tip for getting into programming? I'm 18, should i start learning some theory or straightly into writing down stuff?
>>
what about art studies ?
the 3d kind, to make vidyas and shit
>>
File: 1442922104624.jpg (34KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1442922104624.jpg
34KB, 600x600px
Go to community college first.

Biggest mistake of my college career was jumping right into a program at a really nice and expensive college. Now I'm in debt and going to community college to pad my GPA a little bit.
>>
>>720569964

Sound Engineering Technicians

2015 Median Pay
$41,780 per year
$20.09 per hour

Number of Jobs 2014

Job Outlook, 2014-24
7% (As fast as average)

Employment Change,
2014-24 7,700

This is the job I want to do
>>
>>720567068
archaeology and history get a bad wrap for no reason
>>
As a life sciences PhD who works in a fucking supermarket. Fuck the life sciences.
>>
>>720569968
Eins acht siebööööööön
>>
>>720568266
Income by degree is a worthless metric alone. Just going by OP's list Medicine (outside nursing and lower level medical practitioner) is a high stress field that will saddle him with higher than average student debt, years of additional education and training, and he won't see a better salary comparative to his peers until his late 40s. A Mathematics degree that isn't tied to an in demand practical application is worth about as much as a philosophy degree. Engineering will see him compete against fifty other guys, including Chinese and Indians willing to work for a fraction of the salary, for a single position that requires moving across the country if he gets it and that's assuming he didn't fuck up and specialize in something not in demand. Astronomy is a fucking joke of a job market. Law degrees are massively overvalued and have little actual demand.
>>
>>720570330
I don't have so much knowledge in the subject, but as far as i know 3d animation is not about a degree, but about skill, most of the "animation degrees" are plain shit that will teach you nothing more than a youtube tutorial could teach you and that while you are paying them. If you want to get into 3D, just get gud, don't waste your time in useless art degrees. But then again, i'm not an expert in the subject
>>
File: 1485469037317.jpg (206KB, 620x876px) Image search: [Google]
1485469037317.jpg
206KB, 620x876px
>>720567068
as a 24 year old old fag.... in college you'll see/hear a lot of shit like you just posted in that image. "this major has only ugly dudes," "this major is for retards," etc etc etc. you'll also meet a lot of people that think that grades don't matter, and you'll meet people that don't need to study but still get straight As.

I think the best advice that i can give, that applies to literally everything that you should do at school, is that you need to land on your feet after you graduate or drop out.. I was a triple major in finance, economics, and accounting, and there were a LOT of "smart straight A students" that were jobless for years following graduation because 1 they didn't prepare ahead of time/think ahead and 2 they had shit personalities and didnt/still don't know how to play the game.

pick your major with an END GOAL in mind, that end goal being employment. stay the fuck off social media because employers can and DO look at everything that you say, because the people interviewing you are probably bored and want a reason to dick around at work and stalk someone. you WILL lose out on jobs if you're careless on the internet. Also, don't use linkden or whatever it's called. always just email or call, fuck using any social media for business related stuff, it makes you look like a retard. Also, don't, i repeat DONT, be rude to professors even if you hate them. they are a very good source of jobs in the industry. i thought this was a meme until a professor recommended me for an amazing position out of the blue, then i was convinced.

also, just try not to be rude to people in general because you never know who's dad or mom has a potential job for you. this is important, because 99% of your graduating class will be looking for jobs after graduation and you need to be in that 1% of people that were smart enough to plan ahead. otherwise you'll be forced to take a shit job and keep looking while you work said shit job (aka 2 jobs).
>>
>>720567068
IT is shit teir?

Well shit man i think this is wrong
>>
File: 1483554177271.jpg (93KB, 1080x1329px) Image search: [Google]
1483554177271.jpg
93KB, 1080x1329px
stuck between going for a secondary education degree or going for a comp sci degree and uni. can anyone give me opinions / experiences? AUS fag if it matters
>>
File: cnpsFWw.jpg (74KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
cnpsFWw.jpg
74KB, 600x580px
>>720570646
>Income by degree is a worthless metric alone

That's why you ended up with philosophy and a noose around your throat

Thanks for making me click "hide post" for when i save this thread, you really had some purpose in life

"money doesnt matter REEEEEEEE" fuck off retard. The only times money doesnt matter is when im doing exactly what im doing, going to school for math

What did you learn in philosophy, how to get upset on 4chan? At least "money didnt matter" when it comes to spending four years in school, only to end up getting upset on 4chan. That was so useful outside of the money aspect

Even when you pretend all housing and edibles are free in life, you still fucking failed

If I studied philosophy i would buy two guns, point then both at my own face and pull the trigger at the same time
>>
>>720570291
>Im not even reading your shit just kill yourself do it youll feel better

Meh whatever anon, I tried help you avoid paying a quarter or more of your starting net income to a student loan company. I tried to help you be able to increase your retirement savings at an age when its going to have a major benefit, I tried to help you be able to save for a house, or cover unexpected expenses. Hell if you're parents are paying for it I even tried to let them to finally have some money for themselves after 20 some years. Enjoy your crippling debt.
>>
>>720570702
also, some advice for after graduation. never say no/say anything offensive to your boss unless absolutely necessary. always say thank you to secretaries/"lower people," always tip at least 20% (25 to 30% if it's a corporate card), and SEND CHRISTMAS CARDS with a photo to EVERYONE that you meet in person from your company, including your boss's boss (always include something personal so that they know it's not a copy/paste letter too). i'm friends with my boss's boss now and it is so fucking amazing, my life is so much easier now that my boss's boss mentions me whenever he talks to my actual boss
>>
File: black8h78h7.jpg (43KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
black8h78h7.jpg
43KB, 700x393px
>>720570873
>Meh whatever anon, I tried help you avoid paying a quarter or more of your starting net income to a student loan company.

I never once described my finances
>>
>>720570317
I'm 24 now and I didn't start programming for real until I was 22, so you're definitely not too old to start learning.
I'd say, if you live in a country where college is free, then try to enrol in a class exclusively about programming (what I did). It really does take a long time learning and getting comfortable with it. But you should be at a sufficient level after about 2-2.5 years. Then either finish your degree or try getting an internship.
I'm not really sure about learning by yourself these days, sure it's fine for a hobbyist or someone wanting to start their own business. But from my experience people won't generally give you an internship unless you have a lot of experience behind you, or if you've got a degree.
>>
>>720570702
This.

I had my end goal staked out since high school and I landed my career job starting as a co-op before I even graduated.

My situation is a bit unique in that I joined the company to help a friend who was complaining it was too stressful and also to get some real world experience...I got pretty cozy where I was and two decades later the company is still stable and growing while I work as a senior manager.
>>
>>720570702
>>720570945
This,once you get into college you're already in the game, get as much "friends" as you can, try to be the nicest person around to ANYONE, even if they're a piece of shit, just try to remain "in the middle" never join a side.
>>
>>720567068
>computing as mid in this day and age
>economics and business as low
>statistics as top
u fking wot m8
>>
>>720570831
>going to school for math
Good luck on your bartending job waiting for that teaching position to open up. You could have studied actuarial science and had a valuable degree, but I guess shitposting is a nice consolation for being shit on by the rest of the STEM majors. Don't worry though, I'm sure your extensive knowledge of trigonometry will let you make really impressive trick pours before you get busted for serving booze to a 19 year old.
>>
>>720567068
Major in early American history, ride it through all the way to the Ph.D., get a job as a university press editor, enjoy a life ensconced in the ivory tower without the pressure of teaching or research. Thank me later.
>>
>>720567889
if you have to ask then there's no point in telling you
>>
>>720571155
i disagree with being in the middle with everyone, that makes you look like a yes man. you need to just be sure that you're staying true to yourself when you're picking a side. if you're going to be an asshole to someone, you better be doing it for damn good reason and everyone around you better understand that reason without needing an explanation... like, if you're at a party and some guy is hitting on a girl who isn't about it, telling him to fuck off is totally cool in my book. even if the dude ends up as my boss later, idgaf lol, my connections in other encounters will make him too scared to fuck with me and it's just the right thing to do imo
>>
>>720567068

if your in the UK money is in being an electrician or plumber some kind of trade
>>
>>720570987
Sounds sweet, thanks anon, education is free here, so i will get a degree and see what goes on from there
>>
>>720570683
i'm pretty confident in my skill and in the progress i'll make in the future, so art school isn't really important,
plus the one i'll be going to is free, and i'll probably get some financial support with it
>>
>>720567068
Why IT shit tier? IT colleges are stronger and harder to get in then any of god tier colleges
>>
File: 1422076477033.jpg (94KB, 500x563px) Image search: [Google]
1422076477033.jpg
94KB, 500x563px
>>720571345
>going to school for math
>Good luck on your bartending job

You guessed wrong

There's nothing else to say? I could elaborate, I could punch you in the stomach a few more times, but you'd think it's because of the "insecurity" youre trying to drive out of me. I wont even elaborate, you guessed wrong, that's where it ends. I'm not teaching you anything, showing you anything, helping you with anything, go kill yourself lmao
>>
>>720567461
This and astronomy should also be bumped down a tier or two. I hate to say it but mathematics while being respected shouldn't be god tier because of shit pay and limited career field. You'd most likely end up an engineer without the specialization of chem or electrical
>>
>>720567068
>>720567068
STEM/thread
>>
Junior working on a biochem degree.
>>
File: jew435354.jpg (115KB, 756x553px) Image search: [Google]
jew435354.jpg
115KB, 756x553px
>>720571626
>I hate to say it but mathematics while being respected shouldn't be god tier because of shit pay and limited career field.

That has nothing to do with real life
>>
>>720571466
Well sounds nice, good luck Anon.

>>720571414
Yeah, i guess i didn't explain that enough, what i meant by that is stop getting into a group of friends, and insteand of that trying to get along with anyone, of course, if someone fucks with you or you feel like you gotta do something for the sake of it, well then you have to do it
>>
>>720567068
Make way you peasants, make way for a GOD.
>>
>>720570971
>I never once described my finances
A few possibilities.
1) Either you or your parents have so much money that your education is fully paid for and you don't need the money period.
2) You think your parents have that much money but you're a spoiled brat and have no appreciation for how much things really cost. So you don't feel you need to help make things better for them.
3) You're living in some fantasy world where you're estimating your starting income years before you even have a job. Unless you only come out with 10-20k in debt every penny you pay now is going to be worth considerably more to you in the long run.

If 1, good for you enjoy life, take it easy, no need to get a job for any reason other than experience in the field. If 2 you're a shitty person. If 3, enjoy your rude awakening.
>>
>>720567068

Major in what you like, OP, regardless of the earning potential. I'm 33, and my only degree is a BA in a liberal arts field. Last year, I earned double the national average, and I'm not even in a managerial position at my job. And no, my job isn't some sales bullshit. Just do what you want to do, OP. If you really must pick a major for the earning potential, then I recommend getting a second major in something that you want.
>>
File: LsHMaLX.png (490KB, 599x720px) Image search: [Google]
LsHMaLX.png
490KB, 599x720px
>>720571834
>I never once described my finances
>A few possibilities.

no, there's no possibilities, i'm not here to discuss my personal life with some fucking faggot on 4chan who made 15 wrong arguments and now has to drive "insecurity" out of me to give himself legitimacy kill yourself
>>
Go god tier. You'll hate, but but also learn how to deal with it.
>>
>>720567068

you have poli. science as shit tier but law as god tier. please fucking kill yourself you retard. How in the fuck do you think you get to law school?
>>
>>720567068
Make the many sex with the benis in vagina
>>
File: IMG_2607.jpg (88KB, 708x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2607.jpg
88KB, 708x960px
>>720567068

Somebody has a problem with Business Majors lmao
>>
>>720571345
Do you know that every Science company (for example Lockheed, Boeing, GE, and even NASA) hires mathematicians; also big bank( because accounting is math for pursues, bussiness calculus..... is a joke). I am an Engineer, and everywhere I've worked, they were always mathematicians there.
>>
>>720569770
thats because those are the most popular drugs, dumbfuck
>>
File: 14423980432.jpg (27KB, 800x331px) Image search: [Google]
14423980432.jpg
27KB, 800x331px
>studying biology at degree level

should i just kill myself instead if i'm gonna earn dicks even if i go for a master's + phd
>>
>>720572535
Go pre-med. Even if you fail at getting into med school itself, there are several other things you can choose (PA, OT, PT, etc.)
>>
File: Br8Dy8N.jpg (956KB, 2203x2937px) Image search: [Google]
Br8Dy8N.jpg
956KB, 2203x2937px
>>720572390

ill talk to you since youre a human being, the school im going to has coop involved with the math courses so youre already being placed in employment

also, the 3 that matter, engineering, physics, and math, i read that physics and eng has more practical applications, so i might also branch into physics

Some fucking retard on 4chan with philosophy is telling me how i'm going to be "bartending" because it doesnt help to learn math, I already told him to buy two guns and shoot himself at the same time, there's some applied math for his ass

>>720572490
>thats because those are the most popular drugs, dumbfuck
im highest percentile iq, never once said anything about drugs anywhere in this thread, generic mental health problems / drug user making a comment and accidentally linking me, hiding this retards post for when i save the thread lmao

>>720572535
no? biology? you have to stay with that that doesnt transfer into anything i dont think. when youre biology youre biology youll be fine
>>
>>720571345
> Trigonometry
Wow, you have a hilarious lack of understanding in college level math
>>
>>720571935
The only reason to not consider the financial situation is if you have so much money you really don't have to worry about it or psychologically have no real appreciation for what you're going to encounter 4 or 5 years down the line when you get out into the real world.
>>
>>720567068
How does the ranking work? If it is predicted income then it is really messed up.
>>
>>720569968
ur a virgin kek
>>
File: bQRL9wF.jpg (43KB, 526x394px) Image search: [Google]
bQRL9wF.jpg
43KB, 526x394px
>>720572705
>The only reason to not consider the financial situation

heres the biggest reason not to consider the financial situation, is because that's not what this thread is about

Secondly, the "financial situation" only came up after youre trying to harass out my insecurities because your 15 arguments were all horribly constructed and inaccurate, there's reason number two not to discuss the financial situation

Also when i do finish school ill be making 4x the money youll be making which is a great reason for you to go right back to argument number 13 "REEEEEEE MONEY DOESNT MATTER"
>>
i've just finished college and want to do compsci in uni.

How much maths is involved? I'm a complete fucking brainlet and know gcse-tier maths, heck, i'd probably fail gcse maths if I were to do it today, kek.

Anyway, i'm a good programmer; Python, C# from Unity3d, but a complete brainlet at maths.

Would I be able to keep up?
>>
>>720567068
You do mathematics to be a financial accountant. Physics to be a waiter, astronomy to be a beggar. Why is these bullshits on God tier? If you can't be a medic or an engineer, you're condemned to work too much to be almost nothing.
>>
Would taking classes online be looked down upon when I'm trying to get hired? Or does it not matter anymore? Also, these are business classes I'm taking, if that matters.
>>
File: dcoIVRr.jpg (60KB, 750x613px) Image search: [Google]
dcoIVRr.jpg
60KB, 750x613px
>>720573011
>If you can't be a medic

Yeah here we go, the male nurse, with the eternal short man's syndrome, ready to punch the people above him in the face

There's already one of you retards in this thread, with a philosophy degree, running around grabbing people's balls, trying to upset people, but you're a male nurse, if I had to put money on anybody, you're going to outlast his faggotry

So go for it tell us how your insecurities trump real life

Like what your career is washing old dudes ballsack, you spend all day with retarded females because nursing is the only career they can get, everybody dismisses you when they find out youre male nurse, youre eternally insecure about yourself, youre always trying to get back at society for making you make the decisions you made for yourself
>>
>>720567068
Archaeology and Art History = top tier
>>
>>720573011
engineers are overworked to high hell and have no advancement opportunity, wtf are you on about.. medics? what the hell?
>>
>>720572941
University-grade computer science requires a lot of maths, actually. Off the top of my head it includes linear algebra, group theory, and multivariate calculus.

Whether you keep up completely depends on your willingness to work though
>>
>>720572666
>Some fucking retard on 4chan with philosophy is telling me how i'm going to be "bartending" because it doesnt help to learn math, I already told him to buy two guns and shoot himself at the same time, there's some applied math for his ass

I'm not guy with the philosophy degree, I'm not the guy saying you'll be bar tending.

I'm telling you to borrow the least amount possible and pay it back as early as you can. I'm telling you not to count on a job 4 or 5 years down the line or to assume you're going to be making a certain amount. Life has a way of fucking you over, its best to plan for it to happen to minimize the damage.
>>
>>720573307
>>720572941

And to add, "being a good programmer" is not an accurate measure. What you're gonna learn is much more theoretical. It's fun though
>>
>>720573307

>Group Theory

Seriously? What the hell do you need group theory for in CS?
>>
File: gG7zP4p.jpg (103KB, 940x500px) Image search: [Google]
gG7zP4p.jpg
103KB, 940x500px
>>720573294

lol people caught this nigger so fast for admitting he's a male nurse even though he tried his best to hide it by calling it something else and placing it next to engineer

>>720573321
>I'm telling you to borrow the least amount possible and pay it back as early as you can.

Why dont you do yourself a favor then and stop linking me, dont make it look like youre talking to me and you can do your shit in this thread

>>720572941
>i've just finished college and want to do compsci in uni.

do it nigger
>>
>>720573245
>making 50-60k on what's basically a 2-year? You must be incredible insecure
>not like me, who studied math and shat on everyone who even remotely disagreed with me!
>>
>>720573441
It's the basis for modern encryption techniques
>>
>>720573294
Engineers also have decent job security, stable salaries, and benefits. By medic I assume he means doctor, but becoming a doctor is pretty fucking rough, to the point most doctors will advise people not to become doctors.
>>
File: 2dd.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
2dd.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
>>720573307
>>720573422
Fuck.
Where can I learn this shit?
>>
>>720567068
get fucked up and do drugs
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.