[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any music/guitar fags here that lurk i have a thousand bucks

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 148
Thread images: 16

File: 717+noCHpUL._SL1200_.jpg (144KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
717+noCHpUL._SL1200_.jpg
144KB, 1200x1200px
any music/guitar fags here that lurk
i have a thousand bucks i want to spend on a guitar for learning prog metal/djent but i don't know where to start
a few google searches led me to ibanez RG732 7 string, but i assume i'll have to get some different pickups for that djent sound

i have no experience playing, but i want to start learning
>>
If you have no experience then buy cheap for now.

Get a decent 20W amp and a mid--range guitar. Find what you like and don't like about it then use that info to inform an expensive buy.
>>
>>720367432
what's a good mid range guitar
>>
Rondomusic. Com try the agile interceptor own 4 of them amazing guitars ,extremely cheap gl fam
>>
Ibanez, Jackson, schecter, all great guitar manufacturers with great options if ur on a budget. Find something around the 500 dollar range, but a cheap amp (20w or something of sorts) and if you still have money left over, invest in a couple pedals. Best bet is to go to a guitar store, try out various models, then search craigslist to see if any of the ones you liked are for sale.
>>
>>720367251
Get a used Kiesel. Probably the best value you'd get for that budget.
>>
>>720367251
OP, just go to guitar center and spend no more than 500 on a guitar and amp combined. Check them out and see what feels right. The most important thing is to make sure your guitar is tuned properly. Many on the floor will need to be intonated. Ask their tech to intonate with your purchase.
>>
>>720368338
>>720368435
how am i supposed to know what feels right if i've never played a guitar before
i also don't want to make an ass out of myself plucking away randomly in a guitar store
>>
>>720368435
Guitar center is cancer; especially if you're new. Go used with someone that knows their shit. You save tons of money
>>
>>720368533>>720368534
Guitar Center is cancer, but I shop there because they offer warranties. I'm not about to buy a craiglist guitar and then the input go out on me and have to pay to get it fixed. Also, Random anon on craigslist won't intonate your shit for you. It's the worth the extra money to insure your purchases.
>>
>>720367908
I bought a Jackson JS something something a while ago for 250. It plays like a beast but goes out of tune easy. Fucking incredible piece though.
>>
>>720367251
>playing djent on purpose
>>
>>720367251
Do this:
1.) borrow a 6 string guitar from someone. play for at least two months and see if this is for you. (95% will quit here)
2.) give back the borrowed guitar
3.) buy a cheap, but quality 6 string electric guitar (NO tremolo/vibrato ) with an amp. possibly a moddeling amp (cheap, vast sound possibilities) I strogly recommend yamaha guitars, I have a Pacifica 120H and this thing is amazing for the price
4.) If you can play some songs and mastered some techniques buy a seven string djent axe. At this point you will know what instrument is the right for you
>>
>>720368745
no guitar memes pls
>>
>>720368725
No, this is having tunnelvision. There are used guitar shops all around that give 10x better service than a GC. It's worth having a look.
>>
Used kiesel, and a 500 guitar amp
>>
If you're serious about playing then I wouldn't start with an electric. A good acoustic will teach you proper hand positioning and finger strength better than an electric, but if you want to go down that route then an rg970 could work (this is coming from a les paul player so take it or leave it). I can vouch for the crafter tc035/n I own one and they're lovely electro-acoustics. If you spend say $400 roughly on an acoustic and save the rest for an electric if you find you're good enough or serious enough for there to be a point after a few months of good practice. (they're not learner guitars).
>>
>>720368829
No memes here. Djent blows.
>>
File: hqjmeme.jpg (50KB, 600x486px) Image search: [Google]
hqjmeme.jpg
50KB, 600x486px
>>720367251
>no experience
>wants to learn djent
>don't know where to start
thanx for repeating yourself 3 times...
>7 strings when djent only needs 2 max
pic unrelated
>>
>>720369535
>mocking someone who wants to learn how to play an instrument
wewLAD
>>
>>720367251
>Djent
>7 string

Get a 9 string pussy
>>
Love seeing guitarfags putting down other people so they don't feel as shit as they know they are deep down. Way to suppress musicianship you cunts
>>
>>720368826
Speaking the truth.
>>
>>720369510
A good tanglewood is another excellent option
>>
>>720369748
9 strings are for pussies, and they aren't even metal. That's why I play the most metal instrument of them all, the harp. It's got like a shitload of strings.
>>
>>720367251

don't buy a 7 string if you're starting, waste of money

test various models at the shop, guitar neck are not the same width, see which neck better fit's your hand/fingers (most Ibanez have narrow necks, better for smaller hands)

test amps at the shop, most cheap amps sound like crap anyway so chose one that better fits your sound

search the model of guitar and amp you tested on craigslist and buy them for half the price.
>>
File: topkek.png (90KB, 251x300px) Image search: [Google]
topkek.png
90KB, 251x300px
>>720370020
>2017
>Not ripping a 50 string
>My fucking face
>>
You don't buy a guitar to learn to play prog or djent, you learn to play music. The best way to get started is to actually take some lessons from someone that has many years experience because they will teach you the arguably right techniques from the start. Having self taught for about 6 years and finally having took some lessons recently, the difference is day and night. Borrowing a guitar would be a good starting option to get used to playing, then trying out some guitars once your hand has a feel for it is good. Other than that, some cheap ass agile 8 and a peavey modeling amp is probably good
>>
>>720367251
I really don't understand how people can ask this question...
If you want to buy an instrument: Go to a store and try some guitars out.
If you don't know anything about guitars and can't sue your ears to discern good from bad either ask the employees or ask some customer who seems knowledegable. Even better ask your guitar teacher! But I assume you don't have one.
>>
File: spongebob.jpg (34KB, 600x231px) Image search: [Google]
spongebob.jpg
34KB, 600x231px
got you fam
>>
>>720368725
Dude? They don't. I managed one of those shit holes for a few years. They offer "performance guarantees" where you pay them extra for the so-called warranty.

Pro-tip: Any manufacturer worth a fuck has their own shit covered with their own warranty program. Some of them for up to a year.
>>
try a shecter
>>
>>720369796
Guitar players are the worst man. Check out any jam session for proof.
>>
Get a washburn parallax
They are really good
>>
File: 1452181962622.jpg (80KB, 500x497px) Image search: [Google]
1452181962622.jpg
80KB, 500x497px
>>720367251
>learning prog metal/djent
>>
>>720370458
>>720370708
i don't have the luxury of going to a store to try guitars out
i live in the middle of no where, a new city being built in north dakota (watford city, if you want to google just how fucking bare bones it is)

i wouldn't have asked here if i had the option of asking a learned person face to face
>>
/mu/
>>
Hey bro, if you havent got experience playing, start off with a cheap but stable guitar that isnt gonna go out of tune when you play.......

learn open chords first
then barre & power chords
then start learning the notes on each string
learn pentatonic scales

by then you should have some ammo to start actually playing with people.....badly but you'll get better.....if you're socially awkward, try rocksmith.....not a bad bit of software to get playing to tracks you know
>>
>>720370918
Then you can't buy a guitar. Seriously, just buying one blind (especially for that price) is a bad idea: Even if you could actually check out the sound (which you can't because demos alway feature post production) you still wouldn't know the feeling, the frets, the string spacing etc. and the actual quality of the mechanical parts.
It has become common to buy guitars online, but the simple thruth is that you shouldn't.
Even if it would mean a day trip to get to a (good) guitar store, do it. If you are serious about learning this you should invest all you have. Get skype lessons. Otherwise you'll stop after half a year of frustration and waste money.
>>
Listen. If you ain't ever picked up a guitar before you sure as shit won't be good.

Honestly best bet is go with the Fender Stray Pack. You get a halfway decent Squire Strat, I think a 15 watt practice amp and a patch chord.

Honestly best bet. I think the whole package runs like $300 nowadays...

Squire Strat pack. Do it.
>>
>>720371324
Good call, but this guy wants the metal tone. Even if you say you shouldn't start with djent, at least he should get a guitar with humbuckers, so he can get the metal tone.
>>
File: rsmith.jpg (145KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
rsmith.jpg
145KB, 750x422px
This is your in to guitar riffage
>>
>>720369512
*tips fedora*
>>
>>720370916
was inspired by this guy. music is subjective so i don't really know why you're shit posting about it
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuD2q7edgCJ3IHyXyB0TOWw

>>720371247
i'm not going to get turned away by my housing situation
i'll learn, whether it be by shitty youtube videos or by person
i don't expect to be good, i don't expect to be in a band, it's for personal enjoyment and satisfaction of learning something new
>>
Even Kerry King had to start somewhere.....and he sure as shit didnt just start shredding
>>
File: images (79).jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images (79).jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>720371324
Oh nevermind. Only $200.

And a 10 watt amp...

That's enough to get you going...
>>
you want a variax
>>
>>720371513
No, get a teacher. Seriously. You can't learn guitar from a machine, it is that simple.
You can use this program as a tool for learning some songs, as a supplement, but not as your main source of information.
>>
>>720370880
Agreed, step down and play some rhythm like so someone else can take over
>>
>>720371678
Yup thats the puppy......
>>
>>720371247
>>720371324
OP you should listen to these faggots, if you buy a 7 string with no experience the frets are gonna be too wide for your fingers because you haven't practiced that kind of stretching with your fingers yet, let alone on a 6 string. You're either gonna get frustrated and quit halfway, or get bored because you limit yourself to the bottom strings.
>>
>>720371480
Yeah, but for a "Metal tone" you could just drop 40 bucks on a stomp box.

Also they do have a humbucker model
>>
>>720370381
>2037
>Not playing on bridge cables 20 years in the future
>fucking normie
>>
>>720367251
Cort x5 on the pic? exactly what i have.

Started actively playing ~2 weeks ago.

I really recommend getting rocksmith+tone cable.

Not only does it teach you songs, but also has technique practice games, very useful.

Thanks to it, i've already practiced almost 40 hours in the 2 weeks,
>>
>>720371983
ah yeah sorry, barely read your post, x5 just looks very similar.
>>
>>720371637
I think you should learn what you want to learn
(>>720371247 thats me)
If you want to start with djent or some unusual stuff, go for it motivation is they key, and you seem to have it.
The right guitar is also a big factor which is why I urge you to try them out.
All these fancy youtube videos and websites for guitars are just ads: Every guitar will look awesome and sound awesome. Essentially you only choose the shape, when using the internet as your source.

Don't get me wrong, you can buy any guitar for 1000 $ and it will be fine. But I think you deserve better than fine, if you want to do this shit, you should get the guitar that fits YOU, and you just have to go there in person and choose.
>>
>>720371983

ROCKSMITH ALL THE WAY....HELPED MY PLAYING HEAPS
>>
>>720371823
Oh I didn't know that, then this is a good choice if OP can settle for a 6 string.
>>
>>720369535
>he doesn't know that you need 4 strings to perform a single djent

Wew lad, the memes have taken you
>>
>>720372250
Well there's no real point on him getting a 7 string. Esspecially if he's just a beginner ... I mean I don't listen to prog and have no idea what djent is, but bottom line is he ain't even gonna know how to tune it.

Like what's the 7th string supposed to be for? A drop D ? ....

Anyway, he'll probably be learning from tabs. The simpler the better
>>
>>720371746
you're a retard, a teacher will never explain anything so patiently as this program, videos, practices and all that.

most guitar teachers are people who aren't good enough for a band and they really need some fast cash.

Rocksmith will teach you the basics, until it becomes real fun to play, then it's up to you anyways.
>>
buy a shit guitar to see if you want to continue payer it or not
>>
>>720372671
>rocksmith

Fuck off video games are for kids.

Also I aint that guy. But trust me son, you may learn a little bit, but you gotta fucking play along to a song to learn what the fuck you're doing
>>
>>720372671
You are right, there are many shitty guitar players.
You seem to have experiences that side, which sucks.

Maybe Rocksmith will even teach you the basics.
But "Rocksmith" is a machine- It will never be able to invest itself in you like a teacher. It will never motivate you to keep going, it will never correct your sloppy technique or see mistakes you don't even notice. It will never make you learn those boring scales that many students struggle with. It won't notice your interests and give you appopriate input. I give lessons, and I do it well. You can't replace human interaction in the learning progress, listen to yourself man.

As we live in the time of skype lessons, you can find a good one if you invest some time.
Don't be the typical asshat guitar player whose work ethic boils down to: The easier the better!
Go for the best you can do.
>>
>>720367251
Dude, buying a 7 string for djenting to learn how to play guitar is like making your drivers license in a monstertruck.
Get a regular cheap guitar first and fiddle around with it. I play guitar for over 10 years now and I can tell you it doent come over night. And as long as you dont just want to play open notes on the lowest string you need way more practice than you think to play some proper metal. So forget about the djent for the first 3 years or so and learn the basics first.
>>
>>720372599
I see no problem in that. If that extra string motivates him and fits his favorite music he should go for it.
Usually you should learn the basics first, but if strumming that low string is what makes him invest himself, why force him to learn shit he doesn't care about?
>>
>>720367251
>i assume i'll have to get some different pickups for that djent sound
You won't. Any guitar that's aimed at metal players has high output humbuckers which will sound fine with djent. I suggest you start on a 6-string in E standard. All the chords, scales, and lessons you'll find when you first start learning are made for that, and if you get a teacher he's almost definitely going to be teaching you with a 6-string. Not to mention the extra width of 7 strings is only a hindrance when first learning. The whole "you need a shit-ton of strings to djent" thing is just a meme, I've only ever played 6-strings, and prog/djent is my main genre. You don't even need to downtune that much, drop D or drop C will work.
>>
>>720372599
The 7th string can be anything from a low B to an F. (imo, if you start to tune the 7th string to 1 octave below standard E, get an 8 string or a bass)
>>
>>720372942
>vidya is foh kids am adult as fuck

>play along
you do realize that's pretty much what rocksmith is about, also scales, also bends, harmonies, chords, etc. non plus ultra.

I bet you're just a neet bitch who wants to live off barely teaching anything to poor kids and discouraging them from the whole thing.
>>
Dont start with a 7 string and dont start playing djent ull have no feel and u cant jent with no feel . Learn to hold a guitar b4 u jent son who do u think uare
>>
>>720373380
You can stop talking now, you made your point (in a very rude way to be honest) but you keep repeating yourself.
Computer programs are a supplement, I don't know any good guitarist in my local scene who didn't have an actual teacher.
>>
>>720373380
No. People pay to see me play. I'm not some fag playing along to rock band the extra gimmick
>>
>>720368725
>paying someone to fix a guitar's electrical components
It's some of the simplest wiring you can do.
>>
>>720373316
>drop D or drop C will work.

I actually got rejectet once by got-djent.com for applying an album wich was recorded in drop D on a six string. This is pretty much the most official statement that drop D won't work for djent.
>>
>>720373175
Sloppy techniques are corrected by practice, not a guy with a pony tail bitching about them.

It does teach the scales, through technique games, see >>720373380, and it's not even boring if you practice this way.

I'm not saying never to talk to anyone who plays guitar, but it's a lot easier to start off this way. You're just afraid because it might take some of your income, and you're right.

Also it's a lot easier to find people to play with, if you can already at least hold the thing.
>>
>>720367251
Because you don't have any experience you need to buy 150-200$ guitar with bolt-on neck. What to buy depends completely on which kind of music you want to play. Check Dean's catalog for example or Ibanez... You fucking idiot.
>>
>>720373837
That's some dumb shit that doesn't mean anything.

Polyphia - Inspire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZcW7G5o6g8&t=42s

The Helix Nebula - Meridian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gRESh4iyfs

Both drop D and both 100% djent
>>
>>720373848
No, my "income" comes from my jobs, I teach on the side because I enjoy it and it gets me some extra money when a month doesn't have many gigs.
And that is what you can't understand: From your perspective the program might be good. There are probably people out there who can learn just with it.
But its only the basics that can be taught this way: Mechanical stuff.

Songwriting can't be taught by machine, just like soloing.
These are skills that need audiation, and audiation is best taught by improvising together: Trading licks, changing the chords sponatneously when jamming. That is what I do as a teacher: Playing with my students.
A program can not react to you.
>>
No fuck off its hard enough finding a band that needs a guitar player as is.

Learn something that'll get you in a decent band like singing. Learning guitar is just about as useful as learning flute.

Actually, you'd probably get more gigs as a flute player.
>>
>>720374527
Read the thread, I think OP doesn't see it as a source of income.
>>
djent is one of the most uninteresting guitar based genres
>>
>>720373848
>Sloppy techniques are corrected by practice
They really aren't, unless you're hyper-vigilant about your own playing which 99% of players aren't. All you'll do is end up practicing the wrong way to do things and engraining bad technique into muscle memory limiting yourself
>>
>>720374297
I know these bands but I wouldnt describe every modern progmetal bnd automaticly as djent. The word refers to a characteristic sound wich isn't recreatable with just drop D.
However you can tune your six string even lower to get that sound like David Maxim Micic does. But with drop D it just doesnt sound like djent, just like modern progmetal. It's a question of definition.
>>
>>720367251
>learning
dont spend 1000 dollars
>>
>>720374403
I don't think you've even tried what it's about, at this point, so i'm gonna stop now.

I recommended rocksmith to op exactly for that, learning the basics.
Soloing can be taught by a machine. Songwriting is obviously up to the guy with the guitar, no program, and no one else is needed for it. Company is optional.
There is a session mode for getting the basics of even improvising, though it doesn't give advice, only scales.

However, with the basics, you can make a lot faster progress than with a teacher. Can't convince me otherwise. What comes after you get bored of playing by the game's rules, is another story.
>>
>>720374891
A good way to fix this without a teacher is to record and listen to yourself.

t. someone who hopes you hippie guitar jews starve.
>>
>>720374891
That is what I meant by this whole part:
>It will never motivate you to keep going,
>It will never make you learn those boring scales that many students struggle with.
>It won't notice your interests and give you appopriate input. I give lessons, and I do it well.

You can't replace human interaction in the learning progress! All these things CAN be accomplished by a program, but only if you give 100%. Which only 1% of beginners do.
So they end up
>engraining bad technique into muscle memory
Then you end up with unhappy guitarists who know they suck, but shell themselves with ego.
>>
>>720368826
I am contemplating a Pacifica. I haven't played since...high school

Heard the Pacifica was indeed djent..
>>
>>720374997
>The word refers to a characteristic sound wich isn't recreatable with just drop D

0:48 in the Polyphia video
14:40 in The Helix Nebula

Unequivocally djent. Heavily palm muted open stacked power chords. That is literally what djent is. You don't need to tune super low to get that sound
>>
op here
rocksmith looks like it'll help, i'm just wondering if it works with other guitars
this is the only bundle they have on amazon, which i guess is fine
i have a ps4 and everything already, so i mean
https://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Electric-Package-Vintage-Sunburst/dp/B00AGJKKH8/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1485464195&sr=1-3&keywords=rocksmith&th=1
>>
>>720367251
Schecter synister gates custom. You can find them for around 500 bucks slightly used. Best guitar ive played
>>
>>720375417
Works on any guitar with real tone cable.
You can use in-line cable too, most people do, but i personally would recommend getting it.
>>
>>720375225
That's how I learned to correct myself. I fucked around with recording since I was 15 and I'm way better off for it. Almost every guitarist I meet has no idea how many glaring mistakes they make until they hear themselves in recording for the first time and have a mental breakdown once they realize they actually suck
>>
>>720375632
the cables i see on amazon say ps3 in description
does it work on ps4 too?
>>
>>720375770
yeah, same cables for pc too.
>>
>>720375175
I'm gonna drop the nice guy persona for once; You are just wrong. Music is 100% communication with PEOPLE. Your silly program can teach you the mathematical aspect.

>Songwriting is obviously up to the guy with the guitar, no program, and no one else is needed for it
That is just fucking wrong and shows your actual skill level. The only songs you're instinctively gonna play are simple progressions, which you pretty much subconscious imitation.
A program will have a hard time explaing the tritone substitute to a new-comer. Or advanced chords. Or advanced music theory in general.
You have simply not reached the level of playing, where a guitar teacher is absolutely nesecarry, so yes from your beginner perspective you might pick up the things that fall under the category of: Absolute basics.
Why do you think music is taught at universities? Shouldn't they simply make Rocksmith: Advanced Jazz Theory?
>>
>>720376282
>Why do you think music is taught at universities? Shouldn't they simply make Rocksmith: Advanced Jazz Theory?
kek
>>
so uh, i landed on two options that aren't over the top and come with an amp and shit
someone tell me the difference
https://www.amazon.com/Squier-Affinity-Stratocaster-Beginner-Amplifier/dp/B008F4UQVQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1485466979&sr=1-6&keywords=fender%2Bsquier%2Bhumbucker&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AGJKKH8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
>>
>>720376282
well then comes a big fucking question. What are your planning to do, Play for fun,maybe jam with friends, get interested, and maybe continue your studies in music if you feel it's something you wanna do in your life. If so Rocksmith's completely fine for starts, and there's a huge chance you won't become a famous musician because there's a fucking overload of "artists" in music industry anyways

Or you already knew it's what you want to do from day 1 when you were born, and want to skip the fooling around part. then you can go pay music teachers universities right away.

I just wanted to help op, get some motivation, and you and another sperglord immediately wanted to slit my throat for recommending a great way (imo) to start.

Yeah, you're right i'm beginner, but you need to chill the fuck out.
>>
>>720377320
The Epiphone will work better for prog/djent since it has humbuckers.
>>
>>720367251
If you don't play guitar already, don't start off with a seven string. Play and master a six string first.
>>
File: play.jpg (170KB, 322x425px) Image search: [Google]
play.jpg
170KB, 322x425px
>>720370381
>anything less than 72 strings
>>
>>720376282
Also, another question, wouldn't you like it better, if a new student already knew 7-8 scales, a bunch of chords, and generally learned faster, than explaining which string is which each and every time?
>>
>>720378012
i am, see >>720377320
>>
Dude, you just don't spend a 1000 bucks in a guitar if you don't know how to play

Get a Yamaha Pacifica Series. Those are the best ones to start.

And an amp, of course
>>
>>720367251

>djent

You mean you want to learn how to palm mute?

How cute.
>>
OP do you own a strat?

I know they are cliched, common etc. But I own three 1k+ guitars and the other day I picked up an entry level $200 strat and was blown away. So light, so fun to play.

Just get one, make sure it has decent pickups (or mod them) and then save up for your dream "I'll play this occasionally" guitar.
>>
>>720377320
Just know that small combo amps like that have notoriously terrible distortion and you won't sound anything like the tones you like. But you should be more focused on learning the basics anyway
>>
I have an Ibanez RG1527 7-string. Has passive pickups but I'm still able to get a nice djent-y sound out of it.
If you're hellbent on actives pickups then something like the FRIX6FEAH would be great. Good luck.
>>
>>720367251

Ay fam if you wanna djent
just get a djent starter kit from
Thomman. Cheers m8
>>
>>720378527
Especially at the beginning, you don't want a heavy or challenging guitar - it will slow your progress massively.

Beginner to intermediate is usually 9mths to 2yrs depending on how much you play but if you start with a tricky guitar it could take way longer.
>>
>>720378638
Yeah, active pickups really aren't necessary. What matters is high output humbuckers, active or passive will work. There's actually been a trend back to passive pickups at least in the prog side of metal
>>
>>720378527
>>720378824
so i should go with the squier pack over the les paul one?
read that the les paul is a lot less ergonomic but fits smaller hands better, which is my case

but someone here mentioned the humbuckers for playing prog, which is what i aim for allbeit later down the road
>>
>>720379182
I have a les paul. I adore it, and play it every day, but if I could go back I would have bought a strat as a beginner.

Everything is a little bit heavier, everything is a little bit harder - and at the end of the day the quality of your playing and the rate of progress is more important than how cool your guitar looks.
>>
Has anyone got tips for a guy who's been casually playin for 9 years and wants to up the game to a new level?

Pic Related
>>
>>720379567
practice more
>>
>>720379349
that squier is a stratocaster right?
is that just the model or something?
>>
Iron label
>>
Suhr guitars hands down are the best in my opinion in any category! Just look up some YouTube demos of 7 strings and see what I am talking about
>>
>>720367251
Misha Mansoor released Pro Series versions of his signature, you might want to try one of those and use BIAS FX or something.
>>
>>720367964
what this guy said. own two myself, one being a 27" baritone beast. sounds fucking amazing. good quality guitars for a cheap buck
>>
>>720378012
I started on the 7 string 3 years ago and I'm fine, I now have a Prestige line Ibanez 6 string and I'm able to fluently switch between both. If you want to start on a 7, i dont see why not...
>>
File: berimbau-parts.png (121KB, 987x1659px) Image search: [Google]
berimbau-parts.png
121KB, 987x1659px
>>720367251
You better start off with this OP
>>
File: dxr.png (167KB, 2000x813px) Image search: [Google]
dxr.png
167KB, 2000x813px
>>720367251
this one
>>
>>720375409
Are you acting stupid on purpose?
>>
>>720379567

Record yourself
Write songs
Produce Mix and Master your own material
Structured practice
Play with bands or other people
Push yourself
>>
>>720383971
T. guy who doesn't know what djent is
>>
With any guitar it's the feel of it more than anything. neck specs and body shapes change between brands, and the stock pickup sound might be too fuzzy or not bassy/resonating enough

>>720368826
7 string is just extended range, you can go lower in notes. it isn't a different instrument. but if you can't play decently on a 7 string due to the thickness of the neck then a 6 string is better choice.
but still some 6 strings like fenders compared to the thin neck of some superstrats like ibanez can be similar to going from a 6 to 7. an ibanez 7 thickness is probably a little over an average acoustic 6 string

I have small hands and I can string skip at moderately fast tempo from the low b, middle to high e. then going to a 6 string and doing low e, middle string, high e string skipping arpeggios I hardly have to move my hand/wrist
I started off playing a 6 string guitar but if originally it was a 7 string I wouldn't have had much change at all besides it being more difficult with smaller hands on the thicker neck which only took 2 or so months of playing to feel like it was normal
>>
OP, you're a faggot. You're gonna blow a grand on a guitar you don't know how to play, get frustrated and give up.

Start with a cheap ass $150 7 string off craigslist.

You don't need japanese made ibanez' and mesa boogie rec heads when you suck assballs.
>>
>>720374625
Kek
>>
>>720384164
Ohh just fuck off, cunt.
Than just have your own, alternate definition of djent you little fuckwit. I stick to the official one.
>>
>>720384517
>being this mad that you're wrong about djent
Okay then
>>
>>720380746
its a kinda knock-off strat. It's not got a fender badge but it's very similar in form factor. I think the electronics are pretty basic but as a beginner that shouldn't matter - you won't be playing an arena for 10yrs at least!

If you have an unwieldy, awkward, heavy guitar it's going to be harder for the first year. Moving from an easy, light, fun guitar to something more serious isn't that hard... learning on a 20kg machine definitely is!
>>
File: 1111.jpg (157KB, 610x502px) Image search: [Google]
1111.jpg
157KB, 610x502px
>>720367251
Don't listen to bedroom virtuoses in here.Buy a cheap 6 string guitar and practice.If you're not weak enough to give up, buy a better one and keep going.
>>
>>720380746
motherfucker you don't even know what squiers and fenders are and you're going to spend a THOUSAND fucking dollars on a guitar you can't play.

I used to work in a music store and I loved tools like you. I could sell you so much shit you don't need.
>>
>>720368725
Dude. Learn how to set up your guitar properly. Nobody can set your guitar for you perfectly. Everybody has to find action and setting of the truss-rod fits your playstyle. And once in a while set it again because wood just moves over time. Stop payin for that. And guitar centeres usually set guitar terribly.
>>
>>720367908
Its a guitar that isnt as expensive as higher end models, but will be excellent for you to practice on
>>
>>720368826
>possibly a moddeling amp (cheap, vast sound possibilities)
Whole post prety reasonable but pleas, dont do this. Thats terrible idea. Modeling amps have shitty dynamic response and it will fuck up your playing. Learn on something with great dynamic response. And you dont need a tons of effects anyway.
>>
>>720385011

Damn are you ever dead wrong, Learn about what intonation is.
>>
>>720385504
just get a second hand blues junior iii ... such good value for starters.
>>
>>720367251
Listen bud you're not gonna startoff the bat playing prog. You're gonna want to play the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and then build up to like Metallica and then some old school prog like Kansas and Rush and then you'll be able to play Polyphia and Opeth and that kind of shit. But it takes years. Don't expect to Play Dream Theater after a year.. you'll be playing for about 2 years before you even think about trying that stuff. AND even then it's hard as fuck.

As for the guitar a beginner should pay more than 300 USD or 150 for an amp. That way if you decide guitar isn't for you you wouldn't have lost that much money. There are some good Jackson JS series and Ibanez Gio and standard series 7 strings.

Furthermore don't even think about changing pickups on a cheap guitar its not worth it.
>>
>>720385504

He's only going to get "good dynamic response" from a tube amp, and those arent cheap. Even my 350.00 jsx that I retubed for another 120.00 is bottom of the barrell.

Recording extensively using sims and playing live using a tube amp require two different approaches.

Modeling amps are great. Also, mush better for his purposes. Quieter, more gain, cheaper.
>>
>>720385560
>Learn about what intonation is.
I know it well. You obviously need to set your intonation after every change on neck you do. And I sort of expected that anybody who can read find this obvious too.
>>
>>720385826
There must be some serious differences in price. I get my peavey nanovalve (simple 2w one channel valve amp) for around 150$ years ago and its the most dynamic amp I have ver played. Shame they discontinued this model.
>>
>>720367251
If you have never picked up a guitar before, then going in dry with a fucking 7-string trying to be the next fucking djent lord is completely retarded. Buy a cheap ass piece of shit and slowyl work your sound out over a period of LITERAL FUCKING YEARS.

Maybe then you might be able to move up to a mid-range guitar. Then a 7-string.

Some fucking people.
>>
File: pleb.jpg (24KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
pleb.jpg
24KB, 512x512px
>>720371242
>2017
>Learning chords before scales.
Plebs will never learn
>>
>>720367251
You're not going to be able to get an amp that will sound anywhere decent enough with a thousand for a guitar/amp.

I would get a decent ibanez/any decent 'metal' amp. I have a randall, workspretty well for what I play. Also I'm a huge ibanez fan.
>>
>>720385694
fucking this
Thread posts: 148
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.