[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Bachelor of Arts degrees worth it? Anyone on /b/ completed a BA?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 15

File: IMG_2474.jpg (170KB, 622x782px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2474.jpg
170KB, 622x782px
Are Bachelor of Arts degrees worth it? Anyone on /b/ completed a BA?
>>
>>719380218
Yeah I have one from 2012...It's useless...Don't get it unless you plan on being in academia or going into something very specific.
>>
>>719380218
Not personally, I haven't, but I almost did. Everyone's path is different, but most likely you will have an easier time landing a non-arts job with something more technically focused. What do you want to do career wise?
>>
>>719380218
>art degree
>>
>>719380364
Literally no idea what I want to do career wise. I'm an aspiring writer (even though I know that's not a career) so that's why I'm contemplating a BA. I figure I can always change anyway.
>>
>>719380418
A bachelor of arts degree is not a degree specifically in art you fucking inbred.
>>
>>719380542
I had no idea as well. They sell you the "undecided" is the most common major bullshit at every university, but it's shitty. I ended up with a degree in history because I found writing papers to be easy. If you want to be a writer, there are many careers that involve writing and a BA would certainly be expected. You have an idea of what you want to do and if it's something you love, go for it. I had no idea. Still don't.
>>
>>719380218
Go for it if you need it to sort out a problem in your life. Expect it to be fucking useless for most jobs but. Gain some employment in an NGO or area you are interested in whilst you study.
>>
If you arent interested in STEM and just want one for the title sure go ahead but dont go into debt for it and get it from a cheap University

However i would recommend that you got a trade/certification/apprenticeship on top of it
>>
>>719380731
Aren't most degrees useless though? I mean, most careers don't actually require any sort of degree. At least a BA looks nifty on a resume.
>>
>>719380218
>Are Bachelor of Arts degrees worth it?
worth what? cause its not that much. it's like getting 30k in debt so you can wait tables for a living.
>>
Ive got one from Film School but i also have the what would be a associates in Software Engineering and finished a Business related Apprenticeship beforehand

If you arent interested in STEM and just want one for the title sure go ahead but dont go into debt for it and get it from a cheap University.
>>
>>719380892
>>I mean, most careers don't actually require any sort of degree.

Top kek. Are you fucking 12?
>>
>>719380859
Yeah that's what I'm struggling with. I don't know whether to do a BA or a Diploma in the area I'm interested in.
>>
File: would_you_like_fries_with_that.png (15KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
would_you_like_fries_with_that.png
15KB, 200x200px
>>719380218
>Bachelor of Arts degrees worth it?

yes. You will learn to say "Do you want fries with that" with proper motivation and meaning.
>>
I'm getting a BA in Economics this year, am I fucked?
>>
>>719380218
Have a B.A., so does my wife. We save $35k a year teaching abroad. Couldn't do it without the degrees. Any stupid fuck on here saying that it's not worth it -- it is.
>>
>>719381086
What would be the major?
>>
>>719381215
Professional and Creative Writing
>>
>>719381189
Where do you teach and where are you originally from?
>>
>>719380218
i have a BA and am a current masters student. i also have a BS. my BA taught me how to really read and think which is definitely enhancing my grad school experience now.
>>
Associates of Applied Science in Film & Video-fag here.

Took two years of classes. Worked my fucking ass off. Loved what I did. Took every opportunity to learn and threw myself in situations that made me learn.

5 years after graduating, JUST landed a job that's going to pay me $50k/year. Not bad, IMO, but I took a lot of shit and built up an impressive resume in the meantime.

Long story short, as long as you work your fucking ass off, be patient and be open to new opportunities, BA degrees are a waste of money. You'll learn more in the two years of being in the field than the two years of debt you'll be accumulating.
>>
>>719380892
>most careers don't actually require any sort of degree.
lol, you've never been promoted to management, have you? wanna move up from the dead end? baccalaureate or higher. the higher you want to go, the higher the degree required. the days of working X years for a promotion are over, if you dont have that piece of paper to show to the executives, you're pretty much nothing but shit on their heels to them. or you can break your back doing menial labor for the rest of your life living paycheck to paycheck
>>
>>719380218

>asking 4chan about your UAC offers. I see you :-)
>>
>>719381277
IF you really want to then do it but i would recommend that you get some marketable skills on the side as well.

For example get some basic IT Certifications from CompTIA/Cisco that could get you a basic job in customer service if needed. Also expand on the writing with language skills that could land you a translation gig or TEFL Certification for teaching english abroad

All of it you could get for under 500 bucks total and you improve your CV
>>
>>719380568

Yeah right.

And next you'll be telling me a PhD isn't specifically in philosophy....
>>
>>719381472
>labour living pay check to pay check
Don't know where you live, but tradesmen make great dough. $80,000 a year for most plumbers and electricians.
>>
>>719381331
Illinois. Teaching in Japan.
>>
>>719381601
>great dough.
>$80,000 a year
pick one
>>
>>719380218

Yes I have a BA in psychology and got into med school. My friend did his BA in history and got into law school. It's not impossible.

>>719381563

You're retarded.
>>
>>719381749
>being this fucking stupid
>>
>>719381749
Shit. That's great dough. I currently have the highest paid job I've ever had and probably will ever have and i'm only at $16,500
>>
>>719380218
Nope. Any Bachelors of Liberal Arts type degree is completely worthless. You'll go just as far in the job market without it.

See, here's the thing about that. If you wish to do some art or music related career, you aren't expected to have official training, you're just expected to be good at it.

But anymore, about 90% of degrees are worthless, the market is honestly over saturated with degree'd people. And college costs far more than it ever did. Like exponentially more than it did even 2 decades ago.

This is what happens when you subsidize the shit out of an industry and flood the market with a worthless product (in this case college degrees).

I would venture to say unless you have a full-ride scholarship or your parents are paying (and make damn sure that's the case, my mother said she'd pay and so far has not contributed a dime 5 years after graduation), it's not cost effective to go.

And there's only a small amount of degrees that make money. They are:

Anything medical (heavily subsidized industry creates many jobs that pay disproportionately well relative to the job market)
Engineering
Law (but understand that few get accepted into law school despite having a pre-law degree, the pre law degree without law school is worthless).

And growing more popular, trades. The tendency to scoff at tradesmen comes from an era where America had a ton of well-paid bureaucratic, data entry, and office monkey jobs. Now days computers have automated most of these formerly good careers or shipped them overseas... And in their place, the trades still exist (always will). Trades pay a good middle class income (if you job hunt around, there's always places trying to give you a pittance, look for the ones that pay you fair, it may require a union membership).

And one last thing, the job skill that many of you already have; computers. Up through the 90s, knowing computers meant big bucks. Now, unless you're a savant at programming, it likely means 40k.
>>
>>719380218
science, science, science
get comfortable with with mind-numbing amounts of math and it will reap dividends.
hell, if i thought it was worthwhile to go back at my age I'd go for straight mathematics with a focus of business/ecomicas.
you could go for nusery degree, easy school , good money and jobs.
the whole world is pschycadelic and after a certain time at nigth its difficult to read anythig people have posted and do great things
do math
>>
>>719380218
Haven't read other posts but alot of people do it to become officers in aus army cus you basically pay to win.
>>
>>719381796
>You're retarded.

You replied to the wrong post. That, or you're actually the retarded one.
>>
>>719381840
>>719381889
where do you live? 80k is nice if you're living alone but if you plan to raise a family that's nothing
>>
>>719381900
You typed a lot just to be wrong. Git gud, m8. Your struggling job and bashing of B.A. degrees just shows you're brainwashed and uneducated. You'll never get out of the fucking hole because you're an idiot.
>>
>>719382031

No I replied to the right one.
>>
>>719380218
Op, do not listen to these fags, it depends on what you get your b of a in, e.g. my mother has a degree in interior design, and currently makes $90,000 working.
>>
>>719380218
i have a degree in physiology with an emphasis in biomechanics.

my school gave me a BA rather than a Bachelor of Science :(
>>
the key point is not going into debt over it and having a additional skill set on the side

as pointed out IT is the easiest to get into via certifications
>>
>>719382113

Then why am I retarded? Is it because you think BA is exclusively for art and PhD is exclusively for philosophy?
>>
>>719382314

I didn't tell you why I said I thought you were retarded did I?
>>
>>719380328

This.

Or if you are the next fucking prince/already know someone in the business
>>
>>719382198
I didn't finish high school and I earn the same amount fag
>>
>>719382414
you are the exception not the rule
>>
>>719382360

No. But if you do, I can learn from my mistake and not do it again. Or you can keep me in the dark and I'll continue to be cancerous and retarded since it seems to bother you.
>>
>>719380218
If you can get into a top 20 undergrad school, BA is fine. Otherwise, try for BS. If you really want to do BA, you can, but keep in mind the degree won't be worth a lot; however, you can make up for it with strong, effective networking and personal growth. Just remember--a 4.0 BA won't get you anything. So go beyond or go BS.
>>
>>719380218

Op, I have a BA in music with a business minor...

Three years later I finally nabbed a part time job related to my field. Still in debt, still looking for fulltime gigs.

Just do another degree and work on your craft as a hobby/extra source of income (or double major)
>>
>>719381749
Dickhead.
>>
File: 3VR8hrP.png (936KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
3VR8hrP.png
936KB, 750x1334px
Check this out lol you can view anyones secret snapchat pics! dont share it so it gets patched
>>
>>719382488

Responding to an obvious troll.
>>
>>719381889
So you're either a high school drop out or haven't tried very hard
>>
>>719380218
not if you want to make serious money. got one in 2009, got a job in a field I like but I'm way underpaid for the cost of the degree.
>>
>>719381749

Nignog anything above 50-60k is getting into decent living (depending on the housing market where you live/family size/if dual income is a thing)
>>
>>719381919
>science science science
Why does everyone on the internet think only science, IT, medicine or law degrees lead to good jobs? I'm from a fairly successful family and have a lot of friends who earn a lot of money who haven't studied in any of those areas.
>>
>>719380218
how old OP?
>1 math based scientific disciplines, engineering, economics
>2 find a good trade, electrician etc
>3 nursing, paramedic, low level mediacal field
>4 research scientist.
tier 1 is god tier for people who weren't born rich. you'll learn to love it if you dont. math!
>>
>>719381749

If you are a single guy 80k is great.
>>
I have a BA in Poli Sci, and coming out of undergrad, I had about three options: continue making pizza's, teaching, or law school (I hate making pizza, and kids, so I opted for law school).

Either way, it's more school.

Also, should it be noted, in todays job market, which is over-saturated with BA's/4 year degrees, you likely won't find much in way of meaningful work without a more advanced degree, like a masters (or J.D. in my case). This is especially true with BA's in the social sciences (english, history, poli. sci. etc).
>>
>>719382038
Bullshit lol. $80,000 is still a pretty decent wage to raise a family, especially if your spouse works.
>>
>>719382092
>our struggling job and bashing of B.A. degrees just shows you're brainwashed and uneducated.

I have one, assclown. And if you haven't figured out it's worthless yet, you're either still in college for one or haven't joined the labor force yet.

>You'll never get out of the fucking hole because you're an idiot.
Well, I'll likely never get out of the hole because I didn't start college until 23. Even then, I didn't consider it a cost effective thing to do. My mother kept saying she'd pay for it. She was bound to inherit a family fortune. She created a giant legal family feud decimating the fortune but still inherited *something*..... but now she's decided she doesn't want to pay for college and I'm stuck with a worthless degree.

Also she kept saying "go for something you love", which is incredibly dated and bad advice. Back in the 70s, when maybe a third of the population were college grads ANY college degree would distinguish you.

Now, there's only a small amount of degrees that are worth anything at all. They are business, medicine, finance, law, engineering, and computers (and computer related degrees of a lower pay tier than the rest, anything other than high level programming has basically been demoted to trade wages).

America just can't afford the bloated bureaucracy that it once had meaning most of the historically well-paying middle class type careers are gone. Trades are still going strong though.

I got a degree and wound up making middle-class ish income in a low income state. I believe around number 42 in cost of living AND wages. I wound up doing trades anyhow. I know a few. I can solder, weld, and butcher.

And honestly, despite what anyone tells you. It's a lot more satisfying to look at something you made and feel pride at the end of the day rather than look at people you swindled or pushed papers all day.
>>
>>719382746
It can be done otherwise, but your real opportunities are waay larger in these disciplines
>>
>>719382038
Unless your spouse works as well??

And bitch if you're staying home I'm running the finances, you're cooking and cleaning
>>
>>719382746
I have a few very talented friends who make 6 figures with a BA. My complete idiot friends from grad school (physics) ALL make 100k+, mostly doing jobs that aren't even physics (data science, engineering). People say SCIENCE SCIENCE SCIENCE cause it's a sure thing if you're not a fucking idiot and work even moderately hard.
>>
>>719382819
>>719382914
new york is too expensive tbh
>>
>>719382819
Depends on where you live. In California, 80k is pleb tier and you'll struggle to survive. In a low income state like Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, or West Virgina; you can have a nice home, a newish car, and lots of nice toys at 80k.

Income can very a crazy amount by state and states that have a low average income have like 500 rent for a 1 bedroom place rather than the 2000k rent of the California coast.
>>
>>719382875
This dude is woke AF

And possibly my spirit twin. How tf are we in the exact same picture
>>
>>719380218
nope
shit title
>>
>>719381749
I am 29, have made $80,000 a year since I was 23, currently have a 4 year old $55,000 vehicle that's paid off, a $300,000 house that's 60% paid off, $80,000 in a retirement account, and $10,000 in the bank, plus I eat & drink liquor like a king, not a penny pincher by any means, and have a gf that costs me money that I get to fuck about 3 times a week and we go 3-5 rounds each time. But yeah only making $80,000 a year has been rough.
>>
>>719383167

>gf
>4 year old
>means you knocked her up at 25

She's cheated on you at least once.
>>
>>719383167
Make that her get a job as a nurse and you're on easy street
>>
>>719383341
Not sure if this is bait or you're just a retard who can't decipher sentence structure. Have no kids. My vehicle is 4 years old.
>>
>>719383456
Your vehicle cheated on you faggot
>>
>>719383167
What do you do?
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>719383493
>>
>>719382277
What areas of IT would you recommend?
>>
>>719383358
Nah she has a decent job that coexists very well with my fucked up schedule as a firefighter(makes us making time for each other easy & would make sharing child responsibilities easy), and her only debt is a sub-20k 1 year old vehicle, so if I ever move her in we'll be ringing>>719383456
6 digits debt free by 33, presuming I don't knock her up before then lol
>>
>>719383167
Even if you are comfortable, you should really spend your money better. Especially if you're a tradesman.
>>
>>719383537
Firefighter/paramedic for a top paid department in a very low cost of living area.
>>
>>719380218
>>719380542
What I did was take the course that would most likely give me the right skills for what I want to do. So I wanted to be a games developer, so I took Programming and Game Design. So for you I might suggest English literature or English itself, to improve your skills as a writer.
>>
>>719383700
As in?
>>
>>719380218

The ability to network is more important than the degree you get. Certain degrees usually make getting a job easier simply because you have less competition.

About 1/3 of Fortune 500 CEOs have liberal arts degrees (according to Forbes). But if you're a sperg with limited social skills, you're going to struggle with a humanities degree.
>>
File: 1483795023934.jpg (116KB, 587x645px) Image search: [Google]
1483795023934.jpg
116KB, 587x645px
>>719381138
Bump
>>
>>719380218
Only if you plan to teach it at a university or get credibility for your artistic outlets. In other words, it's mostly useless. Well, at least not worth the money you paid, the time you spent, the effort you put in, etc. The only things dumber are SJW type studies and Liberal Arts.
>>
>>719383758
Well a BA offers a Professional and Creativie Writing major which is why I'm steering into that direction.
What's game developing like? I'm a total retard when it comes to IT but am a pretty big gamer. Is it an easy field to get into and wrap your head around even if you aren't great with programming and IT? The general consensus of this post is IT is a pretty good backup.
>>
>>719382875

30 years old, have been working for quite a while. Saving $35k a year with my wife. But I don't really need to explain how money works if you're still in the hole.

Anyone ever tell you you're obnoxiously long winded?
>>
>>719383779
As in what?
>>
>>719381472
A somewhat outdated approach to qualifications, I find. I interview A LOT of potential employees, and degrees are not fundamental for either employment or promotion. You even call it a "piece of paper to show to the executives". That's what we see, too. A piece of paper. You do better interviewing with me if you're smart, don't look like a college hippie with piercings, tattoos and colored hair, can talk, do simple spelling and math and understand the concept of getting up in the morning, putting in more than you take out to build the company, being reliable and sociable with the rest of the team. You get the picture. If you care about making money, the sky's the limit.
>>
>>719384019
As in what better ways
>>
A lot of the worth of any degree is how the recipient represents it in job applications. That could be through experience of other jobs or internships, or presenting relevant literature and other informative works.
>>
>>719381900
You go to school to learn and meet other learned people. People who look at college degrees as a product miss the whole point of having one. Also there's no such thing as a pre-law degree you fuckwit.
>>
>>719384072
As an employer, would it bother you if someone was really upfront in terms of what their salary is? Your always told never to ask, but if I were an employer and someone asked me I'd respect their honesty. I mean ffs, what other reason is there in wanting a career if not for the cash?
>>
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH no. It's fucking useless. I wish I spent my time actually getting a decent job and gaining experience first then going to school if I needed to.
>>
File: IMG_8886.jpg (870KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8886.jpg
870KB, 3264x2448px
About to get my bfa and start with 60k out of school. Truth is that most artists are lazy and don't want to study. They write a paragraph next to their shitty art piece to explain how deep and meaningful it is.

Creating art and designing things is extremely profitable and satisfying.
But it's still a job and you gotta put in your hours.

I'm a 3d technical artist so I guess it's a bit diffrent but still BFA
>>
>>719384125
Well it never really hurts to budget and spend wisely. Live within your needs and all that bullshit.
>>
ALL THEY ANSWERS YOU SEEK CAN BE FOUND WITHIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSGujidgns
DOUBT ME FAGGOTS
>>
>>719380218
only if you plan to go on and get your master's and teach college, AND if you accept the very real possibility that you will still be working at taco john's when you're 40
>>
>>719383999
>But I don't really need to explain how money works if you're still in the hole.

I graduated 5 years ago. Every college student I know, even for good paying degrees, is still in the hole after 5 years.

Honestly, if there's one thing Obama did right, it's that income based repayment plan. I would be homeless if I had to pay the complete amount. Of course, this also means it cannot be paid off in any point in the conceivable future and will likely just be nullified in 20 years.

Sorry for making you read, /b/roseph, did you get the liberal arts degree in pictures and shapes?

Srsly though, any more they tailor make degrees for retards such as yourself and if you say you have a learning disability. A one paged essay about Shrek as a historical assignment can be an A+ when the assignment was a 20 page assignment on the French Rain of Terror. Seriously, seen it happen. Things like this tend to nullify the value of even having a degree.
>>
>>719382791
May I ask which law school you attend? And do you like it? I'm a perspective law student who's about to graduate with a BA in Poli Sci.
>>
>>719380218
Sauce of that hot milf pic?
>>
>>719382875
You expected that your degree would just take care of you and somehow give you a job and suck your dick or something. Yeah no shit if you're some dumbass without vision you'll end up being a pencil pusher. But if you have actual ambition and want to do something with your life a college degree is the best place to start.
>>
>>719384491
Nina Hartley. Come on /b/ro, everyone should know who Nina is.
>>
>>719380218
do you want to be homeless?
Then yes!
>>
>>719384560
Why is this a meme?
>>
>>719384270
Sorry, I wasn't following my own comment! (I came here for /pol/, which is another story).
Personally, I like upfront. It gets easy to spot interviewees who are telling you what they think you want to hear. Also, people trained to give cookie cutter answers do not elevate themselves above the rest. Fact is, most everyone comes to work for the money. They need a job. If the job is with a rising, modern, private sector employer, they won't mind you saying "Look, I want to make a lot of money", because they do, too. As long as you understand that it's a quid pro quo, and that you make money if the company makes money. A bit of self-taught business practice and a very basic understanding of economics will impress.
>>
File: gerogerigegege.jpg (179KB, 455x455px) Image search: [Google]
gerogerigegege.jpg
179KB, 455x455px
>>719384670
IT IS ALL MEMES
>>
>>719384907
What do you do?
>>
File: yourgodisadirtyjew.jpg (13KB, 221x228px) Image search: [Google]
yourgodisadirtyjew.jpg
13KB, 221x228px
It's all economics
>>
>>719381009
Basically this.

Always laugh at bitches that think their life means more because they have one.
>>
>>719385183
I own an online distribution company, and we are currently starting to manufacture product lines of our own. Still small enough to be a fun environment, but huge potential.
By the way, I had no formal qualifications and used to surf /b/ back in 2007.
>>
>>719385634

It does though. Nowadays many employers for tons of jobs look at your resume and if they don't see a degree of some kind, into the trash. It shows employers you can commit to something.

t. BA, JD
>>
>>719385898
First question when seeing a degree on a CV (that may not not relevant to the job they're applying for) is:
"Why did you choose that subject?"
Most common wrong answer received is:
"Because it looked like an easy one."
Not kidding. The interview is short.
>>
>>719386207
>not not relevant???
*not be relevant.
>>
>>719386207

Clearly those people are not very bright. I'm guessing you are American?
>>
>>719385898
You may be thinking of the media, where your mind is not your own anyway. As an individual, you are irrelevant, you have to be a team clone. Degrees are good for that.
>>
>>719386372

What are you moaning about you schizoid?
>>
I'm approaching a BA in Anthropology, but I love/hate it. Which is the problem with most higher learning..you love a subject, and then have to be reduced down to a subset of bullshit rules--like the reliance on peer reviewed sources to make any kind of move, until you become a peer reviewed source--but have you guys read this shit? It's like nobody speaking to nobody while nobody is listening....

Geo-thermal statistics applied to the hyper-dynamic range of isolated tribes within and above the biocultural style of the modern Inca, as compared to the....SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY...this is why you went to college? To write this drivel? Every avenue in academic life is so stiff and confined--so claustrophobic. You can't say a word without citing a source...even in music...how can we contrast romanticism with---can you just shut the fuck up and PLAY instead of theorizing? Philosophy too--a dynamic interpolation of the dynamic of inhaling and exhaling...shut up fuckwad, just breathe....no need for intellectual, peer reviewed masturbation about it....I got into Anthropology by being intrigued; I found out that when you study it, all you do is write to other anthropologists, who wrote to other anthropologists. Can't we take a time out and fucking marvel at some ancient creations? Just venting...senior year, undergrad....
>>
>>719386263
Exactly. A degree doesn't make you bright. Born in the UK, grew up in the States, now flip between the two.
>>
>>719380218
"BA" isn't really specific enough to value.

obviously there are people with all kinds of degrees who can utilize their knowledge to make money, but generally speaking the market is much more saturated and competitive in fields that rely solely on soft skills while more technical fields are *generally* more lucrative.

IE a BA in mathematics can land you in accounting/actuarial sciences, programming and even certain engineering professions depending on the coursework and hard skills you have to back it up.

a BA in sociology doesn't really afford the same opportunities in the private sector and outside academia.
>>
>>719386533
If I was a paranoid, tin foil hat conspiracy nut, I'd say that controlling academia and its thoughts and progress, enable the politicians to control the narrative by which they 'persuade' people of shit like climate change. Also, controlled funding means controlled scientists and controlled science.
You, on the other hand, sound interesting. You're daring to question. I'd say, get the BA, get a related job and set about changing the culture from within. More power to your anger!
>>
>>719380218
Guessing from the timing of your post, OP, that you're an Ausfag who has just recently received his university offers.

I do a LLB/BA (criminology) double, and I soon will commence my fourth year. The BA (Criminology) side of my degree has allowed me to study units from differing faculties (I have not only done criminology units as part of my BA, but also social science/gender studies, etc). To summarise those BA Criminology units I have undertaken thus far in a nutshell; they have been a crock of shit. They are most often filled with pseudo-intellectuals who think fabricated stories pertaining to their purported victimisations at the hand of authorities/men/straight people/everyone in general, make for positive contributions in the classroom. The majority of the knowledge taught in my BA course is obvious knowledge translated into sociological/criminological jargon. I would drop it, but as I'm four years in, it's not worth it. All I can say is that if you aim to solely obtain a BA with an eye for advancing your career, it is likely to be next to worthless. There's a reason why people generally mock those with standalone BA degrees.

Take what I say with a grain of salt however. The BA Criminology degree is worlds apart from say, a BA Music degree or BA Psychology degree.
>>
>>719385898
This, a uni degree is the new Highschool degree. It just shows you have the ability to learn. Don't expect a good job but you can get 1 step higher than entry level.
>>
File: Untitled2.png (506KB, 960x576px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled2.png
506KB, 960x576px
Just got my diploma in the mail today.

For my degree at my school, the requirements for BA and BS were identical so I just picked BS because it sounded better.
>>
>>719387314
Good post. You have natural intelligence. You don't just regurgitate, you think critically.
Though you're pissed off with your course, you're the kind who can make a difference.
>>
>>719387433

>BA and BS requirements identical

That's how you know you go to a shitty school. Seriously.
>>
>>719387755
struck me as odd too, it may just have been that way for my program because UWL definitely isn't shitty
>>
>>719380218
>Great troll thread topic.

Nonetheless, I'll bite. It can be, yes - but you cannot afford to be an autist while you're getting it done. BA education is valuable for intensive networking opportunities not available anywhere else and training soft skills that are better suited to getting you ready for leadership roles - IF you can force yourself to develop them.

So basically - yes, if you really, really have your shit together, know what you want out of life, and are a smart motherfucker with keen business and great people skills.

Otherwise - if you're looking to just start making money, either get a more profitable degree, or go straight into apprenticeship/2 year colleges.
>>
>>719380218
Y U NEED A DEGREE?
ART'S DEGREE
GO, DO SOME SHIT AND END UP IN MOMA
>>
>>719386910
I'm planning on majoring in Professional and Creative writing.
>>
It's not the degree that is important.
It's how much you actually managed to actually learn in those years.
>>
>>719388236

Do your best on getting ready for internships - look into things like copywriting, grant/bid writing, editing, content writing, etc. And by that, I mean get started EARLY - first semester, you should already be sniffing around for internship opportunities, and you should be applying and networking ASAP.
>>
>>719387874
Not actually a troll thread. I got offered a place in a BA today and I'm just curious.
>>
A B.A. in what? Business? Basket weaving? HR? Victimhood?
>>
>>719388441
>dumb question
I'm assuming internships are for resume purposes?
>>
>>719388575
See
>>719388236
>>
>>719388645
And to learn and network

No offense but you are probably too young to start a B.A. Most students are, it helps to have real world experience.
>>
>>719388393

Yeah this. If you're smart, and you can show that, even a Fine Arts Degree could land you some pretty decent entry-level gigs. My cousin did Art History, then STRAIGHT out of college got herself a job in PR at the biggest arts museum in the West Coast. Several years later, she's now office management in the same place, working right alongside the museum curator and able to afford a nice place in downtown LA. But she was an insanely smart woman, a networking machine (she's a huge social butterfly) and had a kickass CV from her college activities (heading the dance teams, doing college news broadcasting - things like that which required a lot of organisation, public speaking and image management). Also has a crazy work ethic.
>>
>>719380218
BA's are practically useless, unless you want to become a teacher or professor then don't waste money on liberal arts. I saw you wanted to be a writer. You can be a writer without having a degree, maybe take like 1 or 2 creative writing classes to brush up on the strategies but other than that an English degree requires a lot of English classes which are just essay writing classes and they don't really help your creativity.
>>
>>719388736
Well I'm basically just following a passion. I want to write and publish novels, and also screenplays. I'm 20, but have been working since I was 16 (a shit, but well paid job) and have decided to go in a new direction.
>>
>>719388645
>dumb question
No, it's fine. You seem to be young and looking to educate yourself, which I respect.

Yes and no, plus it depends on the internship. Internships generally give you the opportunity to network, yeah - but it's also about getting professional work experience. This is what kills most undergrads when they get out - they have a degree, but a CV with maybe a bar-job a few summer volunteer jobs. Imagine how much better an investment it looks like to an employer, to say that you have professional experience at, say, a major investment firm as a copyright assistant.

Like people are saying - BA's come with NO hard skills you can market (unless you're going into teaching or academia - and that requires a whole different level of performance). So you need to be showing that the BA is all part of a wider plan, and that you have professional and people skills.

Hope this makes sense, I'm kind of in a rush.
>>
>>719388737
Sounds like she isn't ugly. Which is 90% of the battle.
>>
>>719389370

Actually, she's not good-looking (speaking from a professional perv POV). She's... very well presented though and my god, she has the personality, energy and leadership skills to match it. If she's around, there isn't a single social interaction that won't go as smoothly as greased wheels on a track.

But she is great with fashion and image, like I said. Partially learned and inherited I'm sure; her mom was a graphic designer and her dad used to do political cartoons in university and loves art in general.
>>
>>719389618
Got any pics?
>>
just had my first day at law school lads, I am excite :3
>>
It depends on what one means by "worth it". I got my BA in English and thoroughly enjoyed it. It didn't get me work, I ended up going to an IT for that.
Though of course even in the most expensive provinces we Canadians pay way less for education than Americans, so we've got more leeway in what we major in. A degree ain't life or death, you take one and go with whatever.
>>
>>719390037
>going to an IT for that
You mean working in IT or studying?
>>
>>719389887
no you didnt.
1. 1L's take doctrinal classes, which are pretty ubiquitous throughout the nation. Contracts I & II, Civ Pro I & II, Crim law, Con law, Torts, Property, Legal Writing, Legal Research. Most of these are two-semester courses. I'm not aware of a single law school (except maybe ITT tech? but they just shut down?) that would EVER let somebody start in spring semester. It just doesn't fucking happen. You're a liar and a fraud and never will be a lawyer.

--2L
>>
>>719389791

No way am I posting pictures of my family members here, especially when one of them works in PR.
>>
>>719390329
Kek
>>
>>719390371
Don't be such a faggot. You're on /b/. Nobody will know who posted them.
>>
>>719388737
>a networking machine (she's a huge social butterfly)
hollwoodfag here
I majored in ridiculous film production
learning to network is the best skill you could get out of college for BAs
>>
>>719390159
Institute of Technology. My bad, the formal term for these sorts of places is a bit uncommon. You'll usually hear the terms polytechnic or trade school instead.
>>
>>719390557

Apart from work ethic, the single most important piece of career advice I've learned is that it's not what you know, it's WHO you know. Always. As long as you exist in society, social skills are always the most important thing ever.

Which again, can be developed pretty well in a university environment.

>>719390416
no u. Also, I think another cousin lurks here, so I'm not taking the risk.
>>
Just got my ba in criminal justice in August and i keep getting rejected for jobs. Prolly because of background stuff tho
>>
>>719390949
>Apart from work ethic, the single most important piece of career advice I've learned is that it's not what you know, it's WHO you know. Always. As long as you exist in society, social skills are always the most important thing ever.
>
>Which again, can be developed pretty well in a university environment.
I've worked in hollywood two decades, and dozens of jobs. Only a handful of times have I gotten one based on resume alone. Usually it's because I know someone that will vouch for me.
Rarely does anybody get fired for being incompetent. They do get fired for being unpopular.
I spend $100 an hour to work with an executive coach(cheap) to polish my social skills. Well worth it.
Just my experience/opinion.
>>
>>719391006
If you've got the cash, go back in for law or social work.
If you don't, I know one of the local U's here offers correctional service diploma's. Folks usually take it as is, but other crim friends I know took it as a supplement. Y'know, resume filler.
>>
>>719391169

Completely agree. I'm just pointing out that if used correctly, you can use the continuous stream of people at university to polish your social skills too.

Honestly, the most valuable thing I ever did was go out and practice picking up girls (without using pickup lines or anything) - taught me SO MUCH about socialising, and forced me to interact constantly.

Still have a long way to go (both with seduction and socialising), but my god, those things got me off to a good start.

I'm a lot older than most of /b/ and I'm hoping to go to university next year - I intend to spend a lot of my time networking.
>>
>>719391006

It'll take a long time. In the meantime, consider volunteering in more professional roles - you can get some good stuff on your resume (though your bank account with remain empty). Plus, gives you the opportunity to network.
>>
>>719391832
>I'm just pointing out that if used correctly, you can use the continuous stream of people at university to polish your social skills too.
oh, totally. It's a certain time of life that is perfect for that. If I could do it over again, I'd have joined a frat, if any of them would take me, just for how much they hone your socialization skills. That shit is priceless, IMO.
>everybody wants to work with someone they like
sounds like you're making the most of your oppolrtunity, anon. Good on you. It'l pay off in spades.
>>
>>719391370
Considering law but seems like id run into the same problem if i ever made it through
>>
>>719380218
if you want to be employed.
do not get a degree in art.

/thread
>>
>>719392019
Great contribution bro.
>>
>>719391982

Thank you anon. And likewise - I know LA is a harshly competitive place for film production, but hang in there and play it right!
>>
>>719392019
arts not art.

>>719380218
its a good degree if you dont know what you want to do, it gives you a chance to try a range of subjects to and get some qualification in them, you will likely have to spend an extra year or two afterwards getting further qualifications but it all looks good on your cv. especially if you get top marks through out.
>>
>>719380218

Don't know shit about degrees, but I do know I want to bang Nina Hartley.
>>
>>719390329
I am in aus you mong
>>
>>719392458
Tell me about it. The things that woman could teach a guy...
>>
>>719392519
It's the middle on summer here. Schools aren't running lmao
>>
BSc, MSc and final year PhD student master race reporting in.
>>
File: IMG_2477.jpg (58KB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2477.jpg
58KB, 675x1200px
>>719392541
She's 57. Total gilf.
>>
I have a B.A. in Economics, because apparently Social Science is an Art :(
>>
>>719382612
you're clearly the troll. You make statements then can't back them up. Why? Clearly to garner a reaction.
>>
File: jpfrog.jpg (48KB, 350x468px) Image search: [Google]
jpfrog.jpg
48KB, 350x468px
It'll make you a lot smarter, capable of critical thought, and a mental hard-ass for the rest of your life. You'll understand the world and how people or aspects of it work -- do it for that reason.

But if you can, first put some years into learning German or French or Swedish or Norwegian. Study the grammar here, then actually go to the country and get a job at a waiter or whatever. When you're good enough at the language, enroll there -- tuition ranges from $1000/year to nothing in Germany, Austria, Scandinavia or France for the exact same damn education. The American system is broken and built to rob you. Boycott it.
>>
>>719380218
Yep, BA majoring in history.
>worth it?
Depends on your perspective. I liked it, and it was a nice bridge in law, which I'm two years off completing now. So yes, I consider it worth it.
>tfw when total cynic and understand laws have no inherent morality, and that any correlation with morals/values is happy coincidence when the real intent was control of the masses
>>
File: il_570xN.741595106_aspr.jpg (165KB, 570x862px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.741595106_aspr.jpg
165KB, 570x862px
>>719392690

The first time I saw her (way back in the 80s), I blew so fast... look at that body.
>>
>>719393169
Got any more 80s pics?
>>
>>719380218
>>719380218

can only speak for my country as I am from europe, but anyway...

If you want the B.A. just to get a different Master or go to a law school or something alike, then go on, might work out.
If you want a B.A. and then try to find a job with that degree, good luck. Shittiest option in my opinion, sine no one will respect a Bachelor in history or something. Might work if you did a lot of internships along the way and have the connections.
The route I took was doing the BA, then MA and now my PhD for a career in academia. But as this is not really good for everyone (you have to really excel at what you do), I'd advise you to also take courses that might come in handy later on if you want to work outside of academia - such as IT stuff, economics, general "useful" stuff.

Also, start to sell yourself with a lot more confidence. It is true that it may be difficult to find a job at first, and you won't be paid giant sums right from the start (as it is the same with a LOT of other degrees/jobs), but you have skills besides your "fact knowledge" that may help you. Instead of your deep knowledge of the american civil war you should focus on selling skills like experience in wiriting, being an editor, being fast in organizing information or recognizing patterns, thinking outside of models, and the often cited "soft skills" which make you valuable in understanding society and human interaction.

Don't try to be the guy flipping burgers right from the start, just because everybody told you that this will be your destiny.
>>
File: il_570xN.741595778_kzm7.jpg (158KB, 570x924px) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.741595778_kzm7.jpg
158KB, 570x924px
>>719393169

Her ass was perfection... and is *still* Damn fine.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux0uYHYfJ4A
>>
File: 1484670893525.jpg (54KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1484670893525.jpg
54KB, 500x375px
>>719381749
How fucking privileged are you, kiddo! I could live on half of that, no complaints!
Thread posts: 181
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.