[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it illegal to shine a laser pointer at an airplane?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (28KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 620x413px
Is it illegal to shine a laser pointer at an airplane?
>>
>>716528412
Yes
>>
>>716528412
Yes, and they often find those responsible.
>>
unless you live in somalia, yes.
>>
>>716528442
That was fast

Are you on meth?
>>
>>716528412
Not if you shine it nicely
>>
If your going to do it make sure you shine it at one of those police choppers
>>
>>716528412
Pilots are asleep for 75% of the plane journey.
>>
>>716528523
Meth doesn't really make you faster, meth does increase reaction time but not by much. Meth does however keep you awake. Need to try meth to know for sure though.
>>
theyre illegal as fuck to shine at aircraft, or use them near and airport.

also if you shine them at military blackhawks, chinooks or apaches it sets off their defensive flares if the beam has enough infrared power.
>>
>>716528965
Pilots are awake when landing
>>
>>716528656
guy in my neighborhood did this. first planes then the police chopper.
Then he got arrested.
>>
>>716528412
What would this actually accomplish? I'm missing the point here.
>>
>>716528981
Meth is literally garbage high.
>>
I'd like to shine a laser into a girls open asshole
>>
>>716529389
Explain?
>>
>>716528412
>be a few years ago
>read story of 2 police on a bridge with a speed gun
>cunts are trapping motorists on the M25
>RAF jet flies over
>one cop asks the other how fast do you think the jet is traveling
>other cop tries to speed trap it
>jet registers it as some kind of target lock
>day or so later, RAF tells police not to speed trap their jets
>>
>>716528412

Yes, and it is very easy to trace back to your location, easier than you think since you don't have a birdseye view like they do in the cockpit
>>
>>716529307

some lasers are strong enough to emulate a surface to air missile lock on. i dont know if passenger aircraft have those types of detection though
>>
>>716529307
Blinding the pilot. Not permanently obviously.
>>
>>716529708
some laser pointers have enough power to actually blind you.
>>
File: Laser_airplane.png (146KB, 504x256px) Image search: [Google]
Laser_airplane.png
146KB, 504x256px
>>716529307

the laser light diffracts on hitting the windscreens of aircraft, dazzling the pilots. At an altitude below about 400m, there's potential for actual blinding of pilots if they are looking out when the laser hits.

If its pitch darkness, the light can easily blind long enough for a pilot to crash.
>>
>>716529584
>>716529653
Yup. I read a story of some tard shining a laser pointer at an F-16. Pilot then decides to use his sensors to locate the source of the beam, and forward the tards location to local law enforcement.
>>
>>716529584
urban legend, the story's done the rounds in the USAF, RAF, a few other airforces for 20+ years now,
>>
>>716528983

I want to believe. True? Sauce? I want to pop some chinooks, they are loud as fuck. Plus they never dip their wings at me when I wave.
>>
>>716529307
when the beam hits the cockpit glass, it creates a sort of rippled collidescope effect in the pit that can temporary cause blindess while flying which is a big nono
>>
>>716528412
VERY illegal. Federal offense. In fact, a while ago the FBI was offering 10k for turning in a dude who pointed a laser of an aircraft.
>>
>>716529808
Dick head, don't post pics of lasers shining right at us!
>>
>>716529998
Can't the pilot just look away from the laser or even close their eyes?
>>
Posting from Denmark.
Yes, it's highly illegal to point a laser pointer of any kind at a plane here. It is also illegal to shine one (in any direction) with a power of more than 5 mW in a diameter of 10km from an airport.
>>
>>716528412
High power lasers will activate the missle Target Lock in military aircraft. They don't like that.

Police coppters also don't like it, but IR cameras can see lasers super easy, so there is vids of kids zapping a copter then a cop car pulling up to them.
>>
>>716530291
ur missing the point lmao
>>
>>716530628
the laser point?
>>
>>716530291
>Can't the pilot just look away from the laser or even close their eyes?

they can look away. but that's a bit late if they were looking right in its direction when it was flashed in thier face, and they're half-blinded.

As for closing thier eyes, would you wish to be sitting as the passenger in a plane, with the pilot having to have his eyes closed as he's on final approach towards an airport, and the pilot's blind?
Its their job to fly the plane. you cant really do that if you cant see instruments, readouts, or even where they're going. That's the sort of thing which leads to news headlines with phrases like "all killed in air tragedy"
>>
>>716530794
I can sense an easy fix for this though. Some kind of glass that doesn't let in a sudden influx of light. I believe we have the tech for that.
>>
>>716529549
If being high were a taste meth high would be the cool Ranch Dorritos taco, its addicting and some people prefer it to the Nacho Dorritos taco, but it will never be as good.
>>
point one at AF one...wait for the hilarity to begin.....
>>
>>716529955
Believe it or not it is pretty difficult to find videos of people shining lasers at military aircraft so that they malfunction
>>
>>716531026
Or just find the idiots doing it and hang them
>>
>>716530291
Light moves quite fast. It's like nearly the speed of sound or something
>>
>>716531026
Sure, we have a fix, it is called black spray paint and you spray it all over the windows of the cock pit.
>>
>>716529828
Ex-RAAF pilot.

Can confirm we can do this. Frankly it sends a lot of our sensors into overdrive if its a strong enough beam. Scares the everliving shit out of pilots.... been tempted to 'accidentally launch' a missile down the beam a couple times.

>>716529929
Also can confirm urban legend.
Probably based on fact, but its done the rounds so much the real story got lost somewhere along the way.
>>
>>716531026
there area over 6,000 commercial aircraft in service in the United states alone. Internationally, there are probably more than 30,000 aircraft in commercial service.

most commercial jets have at least 6 window panels in the cockpit.

that's half a million panels.

the logistics of replacing them, rather than simply making it illegal to do, is insane - and would cost hundreds of millions.
>>
>>716531329
is this a b8 or you're a nigger?
>>
>>716531187
Thats a good way to end up at the bottom of the ocean
>>
>>716531329
>Light moves quite fast. It's like nearly the speed of sound or something

Damn right.

we've got one of the Flat Earth Society's best scientists on the whole globe here. This is totally accurate...
>>
>>716530056
this

motherfucker i looked right at it, what do?
>>
>>716531796
>best scientists

And soon to be science advisor to Presidentissimo Trump!
>>
>>716531587
Is there any tech in jets so secret you're not allowed to talk about it? anything so secret you're not allowed to say you're not allowed to talk about it?
>I want to #believe you're a pilot, cus that was my dream until i found out i didn't have the eyesight for it
>>
>>716532096
I honestly wouldn't put it past him.
>>
>>716531329
Light travels at 299,000,000 m/s
Sound travels at 000,000,343 m/s

Lights travels 872,000 faster than sound.

To put that into perspective.

In 5 seconds sound travels a mile.
In 5 seconds light travels 872,000 miles.
>>
All this shit about sending military aircraft sensors crazy? That's not how it works.

Radar Warning Receivers detect the aircraft being tracked / locked. Lasers dont emit the correct stuff to appear on an RWR.

Missile Warning Systems sometimes detect IR missile launches but I have doubts that a laser would trigger it.

A radar speed gun would do well to trigger it, the emissions aren't nearly powerful enough to constitute a radar site. At best it would be a brief blip but nothing more.
>>
>>716532167
Don't point a fucking laser at Air Force One. You will be shot and killed by SEALs
>>
>>716532102
Not pilot anon, but yeah, a bunch of military aircraft tech is classified. The majority, really.
>>
>>716532399
And it should be
>>
>>716532102
RAAF... I flew an F-111 10 years ago that still had a few scratches from Vietnam in the paint.

So no, we don't have anything super secret in our planes that I know of. I didn't do any secret missions or blow up anyone important. There's nothing I can't specifically talk about except exact locations of our field bases
>>
>>716532102
I suspect that entirely depends on what that guy was flying. if he was in fast jets, I expect it was FA-18's, unless he's either seriously old (sexy, sexy Mirages), or seriously high-ranked and only recently retired (testing F35's now). In which case, tech isnt particularly cutting edge now. if he were current, then you' might see some pretty scary stuff in the next gen machines, but the basic f18 airframe is close on 40 years old, and the machines thy're flying are close on 20.

a lot of military tech is in fact surprisingly obsolete, compared to what you have in your pocket.
>>
>>716532693
it's only obsolete because replacing it is expensive and what the others have is obsolete as well.

>>716532653
I envy you anon, any cool stories to share? how agile is the aardvark?
>>
>>716528412
Arstechnica had an article a while ago, a dude was put to jail for three years
>>
>>716528412
Op yes it is. You do go to jail and people do every year for doing this dumb shit.
>>
>>716532653
mm. Aardvarks. those were bordering on museum pieces by the time they retired.
>>
>>716531076
Lol i like your analogy compare the high to cocaine/crack
>>
>>716529828
How the fuck did he even do that? Did the tard just keep the light on for 7 straight minutes?
>>
>>716528412
Try it out, see for yourself, become top kek.
>>
>>716528492
Not if you do it a couple of times and stop. It's the fags who get addicted to it and don't know when to throw in the towel that end up getting busted.
>>
File: 149.png (257KB, 368x657px) Image search: [Google]
149.png
257KB, 368x657px
>>716528412
Is it legal to airplane at a laser pointer?
>>
>>716532895
>it's only obsolete because replacing it is expensive and what the others have is obsolete as well.

not quite. its obsolete, because military systems have very different criteria - ie, hardened electronics for EMP protection that your phone would never have. You cant simply unplug a system in an F18, or the likes, and pop in some new RAM like a home computer.

So, when I say obsolete, I mean in the sense that civilian machinery is often vastly more advanced. Hell, the USAF's Missile command silos, containing Minuteman II missiles? The launch system with confirmation of launch used 5 1/2 inch floppy drives into the 2000's. Actual floppy floppies, straight out of the 70's, not even the rigid 3 1/2 inch floppy discs from the 80's and 90's.
its not obsolete in the sense of they're using that while another force is using newest tech - because they're all using similar kit. British Army's comms gear for instance was 30+ years old by the time it was upgraded a few years ago.
>>
>>716532895
It flies like an real aardvark. Gotta hit the target on the first pass, cos its going to take a good 10 minutes to turn around unless you do some aerobatics.

That said, fast as fuck in a straight line. Great for ground attack on a fixed target, not wonderful for air combat. We trained heavily in BVR tactics, since it was about the only way we could fight air-to-air.

>>716533157
They aren't strictly retired here. Still flying on recons while we wait for enough Eurofighters and F-35s.... if the 35s are still coming.

Should have retired them 30 years ago, but they get the job done.
>>
>>716528412
Yes that is one of the few things illegal to do with a laser
>>
>>716530763
underrated
>>
>U.S. Code Title 18 ยง 39A
>Whoever knowingly aims the beam of a laser pointer at an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States, or at the flight path of such an aircraft, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
>>
Wait, so if I say that I aimed the laser at the pilot and not the aircraft, THEN I'M FREE TO GO UNPUNISHED!
>>
>>716533710
Yeah my answer wasn't very elaborate but that is what i was coming at. It's expensive to replace, because it has to be so specialized and built to never fail. But since it's equally expensive for everyone to replace their gear, obsolete tech will stay, because everyone else also can't afford to always be on the bleeding edge. It's like the banking system built on COBOL and people are now too afraid to change that, because as we grew more reliant on computers, downtime and errors started to hurt exponentially more.

>>716533848
Sounds pretty cool. Done any combat missions, also why are you an ex-pilot now? age?
>>
>>716533848
I'm amazed they've not fallen out of the skies.

then again, they might well do, before the f35's are finished.... *if* they get finished, thanks to everyone's favourite Orange Oompa-loompa meddling..

the one that always impressed me with the F111's was the air to air kill by the unarmed EF1-11 Raven during the first gulf war, using TFR. I honestly dont know how you guys can fit your balls in the cockpits, for stuff like that one.
>>
>>716532693
Its not so much the plane, its the tech inside.
Early F-111s had 3 radar systems: air, ground, and nav... though the nav one wasn't really needed. Ones I flew had 5 integrated systems just for ground attack. That's in addition to the air and nav radars. Theoretically, we could drop a 2,000kg bomb on someone's head in heavy cloud cover from the stratosphere at over mach 1.
So yeah, the frame was getting old but the insides were pretty fancy.
>>
>>716534905
>Theoretically, we could drop a 2,000kg bomb on someone's head in heavy cloud cover from the stratosphere at over mach 1.

But if you were USAF, there's only a 50% chance its on the head of someone on the right side....
>>
>>716534905
Humans spend their lives creating things to kill other humans. kek
>>
>>716530056
fuck, MY EYES
>>
>>716534008
penetrating a minor being the other?
>>
>>716528412
you intend to hurt or kill people. and that could happen.

yes, illegal.
>>
>>716534555
> combat
Saw a little bit during Iraq. Nothing special. Boring routine stuff. Fired like 2 times in 6 months... hit a suspected stinger site and blew up a truck.

Best story was when I found a SAM truck set up along a flight path we were using. Went screaming past and saw the missile launch...
Didn't need to use countermeasures, it sputtered out and crashed about 300 metres from the truck. Reported it and on the way back there were 2 craters. Best part was there were 2 bodies by the second crater... the one formed by the missile.
>>
Mfw no one realises that its all autopilot now
>>
>>716535671
yeah, especially the landing, that's the most autopilot part of flying
>>
>>716535671
There comes a point where autopilot has to be disengaged... and not all landings use autopilot
>>
>>716534679
Yeah... its not looking great.
But then, I reckon we'd do better with an updated older craft. Something easy to maintain with cheap, easily acquired parts. The enviroment out here is death to planes.

>>716535155
We could probably get a decent ID on the target before launch. But then, most of our intelligence comes from the CIA....
>>
>>716535623
> Boring routine stuff
Man i'd give a lot to get to fly a " Boring routine" mission. Thanks for answering some questions :)
>>
>>716536035

I've heard that pilots have to land manually ever now and then, just to make sure they don't forget how to do it.
>>
>>716536062
>The enviroment out here is death to planes.

you're in australia. is that godforsaken continent welcoming to anything that's not marsupial or reptile?

>>716535623
christ, I dont want to know how tight your arseholes get on the initial moment of stopping launch.
Little part of me cant help think the poor bastards at the crater had some shitty luck though.
>>
>>716536505
>stopping launch
spotting launch, I meant to type.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.