[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Click for more| Home]

how to you get over the fear of non-existence after death?

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 287
Thread images: 30

how to you get over the fear of non-existence after death?
>>
>>559336404
i like to think it's like before you were born. like nothing, but that's just me
>>
You're not gonna know you don't exist. So there's nothing to worry about.
>>
>>559336546
its so amazing how brave some people are.

ive heard that statement made so many times before but it doesn't seem to help me in the slightest
>>
Simply you cant non-exist.
>>
File: 1401588258516.png (300KB, 324x424px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1401588258516.png
300KB, 324x424px
I just don't think about it anymore, really. It just kinda stopped bothering me. When I was signing up for the army family members kept asking me if I was afraid of being killed and I couldn't think of a way of saying no without coming off as some sort of edgelord

I'm sure when I'm in my 60's the fear will hit me again and i'll just think "oh FUCK"
>>
By studying the occult and discovering that there is a life after death. Or go spend a few nights in a famous haunted place and see for yourself.
>>
>>559336772
other thing i would like to believe is that we are all a single being, learning from every single life lived on this planet and when this universe comes to an end we are wise enough or something to be born to higher entity
>>
>>559336404
I can't really see how you can fear non-existence. It's not like you're gonna experience it or anything.
>>
>>559336404

I follow >muh science and realize there is one
>>
>>559336404
Meh, I know there is a metaphysical realm, so don't worry about not-existing
>>
>>559336404
What fear? It's great.
Everything you do here has to count, because when you die it's over.
I find it very relieving.
>>
>>559336404
What makes you so sure there is non-existence after death? Because your a super cool edgy atheist because its completely obvious the religion is lie?
>>
Only modern people fear death, they dear "being while not being" which is the lifestyle of the modern person with no connection to anything, just a dressed up drone, not feeling any love but who may do acrobatics and masturbation in the bedroom with a "partner" - not his og her Love.

You can also realize you don't exist in life, only your body does, and experiences, but no "you". "You" is a grammatical construct, of course there's no small man inside our heads, because he'd need a small man inside his head, and so on ad infinitum.

Realizing there's no personality inside the body, and that the world is a personal conscioues experience, not perceived by anything, but just is "self-consciouesness", is the deal of every mysterycult and religion, Jesus and Odin dies, on a tree (loses their personality, in order to become one with the world. (the world of consciouesness, is often conceptualized as a tree by the brain)
>>
>quantum immortality

look it up
>>
>>559337346
nah, we're just animals that die like all other animals and living things.
>>
>>559336404
try to have a relationship with God. If you try it and still get nothing from it then move on. What's the harm?

For me that removed my fear of death
>>
File: cuppa.jpg (48KB, 480x446px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
cuppa.jpg
48KB, 480x446px
>>559337767
Hey, you got it in one!
>>
>>559336404
Simple. I take the Dragon Ball approach to the afterlife. Hopefully, I'll be able to run on Snake Way until I eventually run into Kai's Planet.
>>
>>559339212
There are so many possibilities that even stressing about it is a crime to life. Just a waste of time, im thinking of cryogenic freezing.
you know, just in case.
>>
>>559336404
Depression helps. I don't enjoy life enough to care whether I exist or not.
>>
I dont fear it, i welcome it.
Besides, when you are you nonexistent, when do you care that you are nonexistent?
>Besides besides, we never die, we transcend.
>>
File: heal.jpg (45KB, 640x450px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
heal.jpg
45KB, 640x450px
>>559339536
I tried to have a relationship with god but there was no anal, so I moved on.
>>
>>559336404
You live forever in your descendants.


This is why I can't understand how people can live without having children in their lives.
>>
File: 1335330896050.jpg (258KB, 682x759px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1335330896050.jpg
258KB, 682x759px
>>559336404
by not giving a shit mostly, the universe existed nearly 16 billion years without me and it'll do fine after I'm dead, these religious fucks are mostly only religious because they were brought up in it or they're afraid of death. Fucking pussies
>>
>>559336404
I see it as finally being able to fuck off and rest. Like, there are some seriously aggravating bits to being alive. You have to work and earn what you want or need. While that does leave a feeling of being fulfilled; I see death as retirement. Just passing on and feeling the "fuck it" flow through you.

While I don't want to rush my own death, I won't (or I'll try not) to fear it
>>
>>559336404

I'm necrophobic and have panic attacks about the concept of being dead.

Kind of sucks, thought everyone had them for ages then found out nope I'm one of the few who does.
>>
File: 293825.gif (2MB, 265x177px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
293825.gif
2MB, 265x177px
It's no use thinking about it, no one really knows. Even if you die, and there's only non-existence, you'll be unable to to feel, think or care about it because.. well.. you simply don't exist. It's just that simple.
>>
>>559336404
I don't fear it considering it's just like before being born. It's something your not consciously aware of
>>
>>559340139

Cause good ideas can also live longer than one's physical form.

Read Plato.
>>
>>559336404
You never existed in the first place, you are simply a complicated series of causes and effects. This illusion of life is non existence, death is the reality.
>>
>>559339696
i get depression from thinking about non-existence

>>559340649
yeah ive found that most people are so accepting like "who cares you are dead so it doesnt matter"

i really envy them for their bravery.
>>
>>559337695
id say the opposite, that nothing counts or matters becasuse u have no sense of it when u die
>>
>>559336404
you kill yourself
>>
>>559337146

lel
>>
>>559340976
Ideas fade, ebb and flow. It's the human condition.

But one's lines, what you pass on, in some way or another, lives on to eternity, so long as it doesn't end.

Which it could. But that's a risk that's also part of the human condition.
>>
>>559336404
dont think about it

having a shitload of bad LSD trips on big doses helped me a little bit. but that would break a lot of people's brains
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 640x480px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 640x480px
>>559336404
There's no such thing as nonexistence. Quantum Immortality dictates that you will always be conscious in some part of the wave function. Just because it gas collapsed in one part of the multiverse were you've died doesn't matter because you will continue to exist elsewhere
>>
File: Knight Resting.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Knight Resting.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>559341286

Personally I don't consider myself a coward for being afraid of death, as most people don't want to die in any particular matter.

Also, my fear of death hasn't actually stopped me from doing anything I've wanted to do. I just get really bad panic attacks every few months.
>>
>>559336404
>fear
What? I've had some pretty irrational fears (still somewhat scared of the dark sometimes), but this is ridiculous. If you don't exist you probably won't care... or know.
>>
>>559340649
>>559340649
Don't worry its inevitable and could happen at any moment. You have no idea what happens afterwards, for all you know it could be a universe where you get gangraped by niggers for several centuries before finally dying of manhole sized manhole. I hope that helps.
>>
i just remember back how it felt to not be born yet.

it didn't matter then, it won't matter when i'm dead.
>>
File: Democritus.jpg (54KB, 488x640px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Democritus.jpg
54KB, 488x640px
>>559341607

But bloodlines can and do end.

Sure if you're Genghis Khan and have all the babies it's pretty unlikely.

But 3.14 is an idea that will never die as long as mankind keeps going
>>
File: 1405851583429.jpg (766KB, 1600x1608px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1405851583429.jpg
766KB, 1600x1608px
>>559336404
What is there to fear?
It's not this big long infinite void
It's not even nothing, because by some loophole "nothing" exists.
It's nonexistence.
You will no longer be, you CANNOT fear it.
You can't interpret it at all.
Just calm down and live, dude.
It's all you've got.
>>
>>559341765

so then multiverse is heaven then
>>
Thanks to denial, I'm immortal.
>>
>>559342364
teach me your ways plz
>>
>>559336404
by not being a faggot
>>
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide_and_immortality

If you shot yourself in the head right now, in one universe you'd be killed, but it doesn't natter because your no longer there to experience it. You would continue to exist in the universe where you only see the gun jam. I've tried this many times and a perfectly working gun never fires.

I am immortal
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 262x303px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 262x303px
>>559336404
>>
File: images (2).jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
images (2).jpg
6KB, 259x194px
>>559342364
>>
>>559341765
Can you link me to an explanation? I've been curious
>>
>>559342714
Seems legit.
>>
>>559342247
This guy gets it.
>>
>>559336404
be a pantheist.
>>
>>559342138
unless mankind forgets.
>>
File: mindfuck.jpg (106KB, 533x552px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
mindfuck.jpg
106KB, 533x552px
death is nothing. it's how I die that I'm afriad
>>
>>559342138
After all ideas have existed since time immemorial and the names that go with them have long since faded on many counts.

But, you touch on a point.

What humanity builds, in some cobblestone or some manner, contributes to the greater humanity
>>
>>559343427

And all of Genghis Khan's direct descendants could die too. Anything is possible, it's just extremely unlikely that every mathematician will forget and every Scion of the Great Khan will die without the extinction of the human race for both events
>>
>>559338480

I'd normally call you a faggot but this is actually pretty well said.
>>
>>559341765
You are part of the universe not a separate entity, a human dying is nothing more than an event like the blowing of a breeze or the tide of the ocean. Besides your current conditions would have to be relatively the same in order for it to still be you , including your age. Even if you were to be immortal, surviving every possible death, the centuries would turn you into a hollow shriveled old husk of your former self.
>>
>>559343987
But the point is:

What is to build without a name?


You can build something that will last forever, or contribute to it, but your epitaph will long be forgotten after a few dozen generations.


How can something inanimate, and in fact, attributable to many, be eternal?
>>
>>559342714
i know this is a troll but beyond that, the many universes theory is kindof hard to accept at face value, no?
>>
File: Flayed man.jpg (1MB, 2225x3270px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Flayed man.jpg
1MB, 2225x3270px
>>559336404
It's no scarier than yesterday. I can't relive yesterday and I'm not the same person I was yesterday.
Small things change in your mind every time you sleep. You mind revisits the information picked up during the day and deletes old useless information.
Who you were YESTERDAY is already dead, the transition between who you are now and who you were just created the illusion that you're the same person.
I don't fear death, I fear the way I die.
*crosses fingers* "please not drowning."
>>
File: Achilles' Rage.jpg (46KB, 574x441px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Achilles' Rage.jpg
46KB, 574x441px
>>559344679

Alexander the Great is immortal without descendants.

Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Jesus (ignoring apotheosis but assuming some historical existance) all also immortal without being Conquerors.

Homer, Shakespeare, Virgil, Dante: all immortal because of fictional shit they wrote.
>>
File: PikaAsh.jpg (94KB, 480x480px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
PikaAsh.jpg
94KB, 480x480px
>>559339629
>yfw after death we are sent to a reality completely tailored to your deepest desires

This current reality is just prepping us for what it is we want. Atheists get their non existence and I get my Pokemon World. Win-Win.
>>
>>559345416
but i still am the collective sum of my memories am i not?

that entire consciousness will fade with my death for all of eternity, never to know anything yet again.

everything I am or can fathom myself to be will be lost forever.

that terrifies me to no end.

but thank you for your input; i find your belief fascinating if not hard for me to accept as comforting
>>
>>559346338

I like to think of it like this.

Although the thought that there being absolute nothingness when I die, I am comforted in the thought that when I'm dead I wont give a shit. Because I'll be dead.

Its not death that scares us, its living.
>>
>>559346645

woops, ignore that post quote. Misclicked.
>>
>>559346338
win-win indeed, and my dragon-universe will be filled with traps.
>>
for one thing, you cannot be sure of non existence after death

another thing, i don't think it'd be bad; dreamless sleeps are very enjoyable, so i imagine an infinite sleep would be about the same
>>
File: death.jpg (949KB, 1264x2590px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
death.jpg
949KB, 1264x2590px
>>
Fear implies you can experience something bad.

You aren't frightened of your pre-birth non-existence, so precisely why fear post-mortem non-existence?

Matter and energy can be changed, but not destroyed.

What we are made of always was and always will be, though not necessarily manifested as "us". Evolution could not have selected for advanced life which doesn't fear death, but that doesn't mean there is a LOGICAL reason to fear death.
>>
>>559337146
Pretty much this.

They've done enough out of body experiments to prove your consciousness doesn't die.

Death isn't so bad, no more eating, no more sleeping, you just get to chill out.

Though you wanna see what happens to bad people or suicides look up genuine hauntings, not a pleasant fate.
>>
>>559336404
smoke weed and listen to the doors
>>
>>559347168
i thought most of those out of body experiments are either unverifiable or made up
>>
>>559336404
>implying I'm afraid
>>
>>559342138
Pi is not an idea.
It is a fact. It is a law built into the universe.
It is the ratio of a any perfect circle's circumference to its diameter. If humanity forgets it or the info is lost, it will be rediscovered.
>>
>>559336404

It is a truth and invokes only the emotion you choose- it's not sad, it's not comforting, it's not scary, it's not beautiful; it only IS. It is only what YOU decide to think of it.
>>
>>559336404
I used to freak out over that stuff, then some really crazy stuff happened in my life and I turned to God. I ain't gonna preach to you fags but in short, I found true faith and realized that when I die, I'll live eternally, and if I don't and there is nonexistence, I won't be able to tell and it won't concern me. It helps to embrace the fact that death comes to us all and it's not worth worrying about what comes after, because whatever does happen, nobody knows for certain.
>>
>>559336404
Drugs
>>
File: Death.jpg (3MB, 4638x6408px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Death.jpg
3MB, 4638x6408px
>>559346449
Every time you access a memory it gets corrupted and skewed. You literally cannot trust your memories 100%.
Also, the idea that life ends with death is what makes death exciting. You get to experience the end of experience. -Or maybe something DOES happen. I'm not saying there's an afterlife but it is completely possible that your mind can create a new mental reality.
For example, I've lived entire lifetimes in dreams. I've had families, friends, and eventually I die. (that's when I wake up)
Dreams are said to take place within the last 5-10 seconds of sleep. If that's the case, it's not much of a stretch to suggest that you can live eternally in the last function of your mind.
I'm not trying to get all "new age" on anyone but this is a hypothesis. An untestable thought that I can't prove or disprove. Fun to think about though.

Anyways, back to my point.
Death should scare you because it comes for all of us. Nothing you can do will stop it. The neurons in your brain are already likely 1/6th through their life cycle.
It's no more scary that going to sleep at night. When you sleep you get no guarantee that you'll wake up again. The same happens when you go in for surgery.
We sleep because it's part of our biology and it's perfectly normal. The same can be said about death.
>>
you wont know you dont exist so whats to fear..
>>
By the time you are old and inform every day will be agony, humiliation, or both. Youll lose touch with the world around you and be utterly alone or seen with pity by your once beloved family and friends. You will welcome death as an escape.
>>
I was 16 when I just acknowledged that I was going to die one day, and began to actually enjoy my life from then on. I'm 29 now, and although my thoughts and beliefs have been altered somewhat since then, the premise for my mindset is ultimately unchanged.

Fearing death is natural, as the true meaning to a species' life is to simply not die out. Hence why sex feels good, death is scary, and so on. On top of that, with everybody starting out with the original animalistic mindset of "death is bad", as you get older, you are conditioned even further by society to believe that death is bad. This is done via numerous ways, but the main influences are of course family (mainly parents), the media, and religion.

Disassociate yourself with these things, and change your inherent purpose to life. Doing this will not only result in a control of the fear of death, but it will result in being able to control all of your emotions much more efficiently.

Research Nihilism and philosophies of the sort. Just broaden your perspective on life. I personally recommend psychedelic drugs from time to time in a safe environment, but you can reach that "clearer" and "easier" state of mind via other methods (meditation, sensory deprivation, etc.) You don't even need any of these; the most part is just you wanting to change. It will take a lot of willpower.

And don't listen to the faggots acting like they know what they're talking about when they talk about consciousness. There are nothing but theories, and you can find this out easily via a few Google searches. >>559347440 is correct.
>>
>>559336404
don't fear, man

>>559349007
>>
>>559348542
>Dreams are said to take place within the last 5-10 seconds of sleep
Just want to point oui the fact that this is bullshit. Dreams take place during long periods of deep sleep if I recall correctly. But you can also have long dreams in really short periods of time (had some while passing out, 2-5 seconds). However, you do dream for hours-long sessions.
>>
>>559349320
And I don't want anybody to get me wrong with this post. I'm simply stating what has worked for me, and that it really wouldn't hurt to give it a try if you truly want to get rid of your fear.

I am however very confident in saying that nobody will ever know about anything for sure, ever. Everything simply is, and everything simply isn't. It is all infinite.
>>
>>559342247
damn..
>>
If you can't imagine you not existing just consider that the world/universe as you experience it doesn't exist for anyone else but you.
When you die, the world dies.
So why give a fuck.
>>
>>559342247
Good man.
>>
>>559349613
I dunno, I heard it on the internets.
I'll check more into it, you might be right. If so, I'll change my views accordingly.
>>
>>559336404
Fear? I'm looking forward to it.
>>
>>559336404

Get over it by stop being a massive faggot.

Everyone is so fuckin scared of everything. It's disgusting.
>>
>>559350115
I just want to applaud your open minded gesture. More people should be open to the possibility that they could, in fact, be incorrect.
>>
>>559338480
I'll smoke what ur smokin bra
>>
"If I am, then death is not
If death is, then I am not.
Why shall I fear that which may only exist
When I do not?"
-Nigger science guy
>>
>>559345416
It's probably okay after you inhale the water dno thought
>>
>>559336404
You don't exist now, you non-contributing, irrelevant worker drone. How does that fact not already terrify you?
>>
I already know what it's like to be dead, and so do you. It's exactly the same as before you were conceived.
>>
>>559340180
> Big Bang + 13 billion years
> Thinking the universe is 16 billion years old
>>
File: wtfamIreading5.jpg (46KB, 433x380px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
wtfamIreading5.jpg
46KB, 433x380px
wait.. you mean to tell me, that we're actually alive right now?
>>
Become buddhist ;)
>>
>>559350115
>>559349613
>>559348542
dreams only occur during rem sleep which is the end stage of sleep and i believe it is also the shortest (needs citation). So yeah dreams generally last for a short period of time and a shitload of stuff does happen in that time
>>
Fuck you collective reincarnation thinkers.
>>
As we do not remember life in the womb, we will not remember this life after we pass over to the realm of the afterlife. We are incubating and growing/learning for that existence.
>>
>>559352281
Are we? Did your chakras whisper that to you?q
>>
>>559351813
Yes. After looking up a bit more, I happen to be wrong myself.
So, according to the best and apparently most trustworthy source I found, we dream while sleeping for approximately 15-20mn every approximately 90mn.
>>
>>559352407
Found scribbled after An LSD trip that was enlightening on many fronts.

That or that duck told me.
>>
>>559352768
Are you..
Is this...
A person on /b/ admitting fault? Screenshotting because no one will believe me
>>
What existed before the universe and how long did it exist for?

Don't say "time didn't exist" because time can't just appear from nothing which means that a multiverse of universes must exist.. which means it's highly probably we could exist again somewhere..
>>
File: 1383259687218.gif (703KB, 320x240px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1383259687218.gif
703KB, 320x240px
>>559353034
Yeah I know, but it's past 4am, I'm tired as shit.

Faggot ass nigger brony jew I banged your mum last night you dirty sandnigger you're a fucking retard, I tip you my fedora, go back to 9gag masturbating to ponies you beta fatass. Better ?
>>
You have two simple choices. Spend your entire life trying to secure a legacy that will be passed on throughout human history. Like Hitler, Achiles, Einstein, Davinci etc. Not give two flying fucks about it and use your body to wring every drop of pleasure you can from this very brief gift of conscious life you get.
>>
By realising that you'r ego is an ilusion,
>>
You could be reborn but you wouldn't remember it so that person wouldn't really be you. Without the memories you aren't what you are.
>>
>>559336404
By not being a cock-sucking cowardly little fuck.
>>
>>559353627
I doubt there's a universe where you aren't a fucking autist.
>>
>>559354587
Very true. Even if "I" exist in another universe or wherever.. if I don't have the memories I have now.. then that isn't "me" it's someone different. In fact now I'm completely mind fucked.
>>
How in the fuck did you become such a pussy that you are afraid of an idea?
>>
>>559354897
Nothing is real. enjoy the ride :>
>>
Losing myself? Nothing worse... I haven't gotten over the fear. I don't see a point in getting over it. I've been trying to abandon myself and realize that I'm just temporary thoughts and emotions attached to meaningless bones so I don't have to deal with it anymore... but I'm close to cracking. I wish I had the energy to crack... but what's the point. Anything I do or feel or say doesn't change anything. Even if my existence was permanent this life would still be one giant depressive fucking fog I wished to escape before entering. There are no concepts both feasible and uncomprehendingly impossible in which make life or anything about humanity or human thoughts fucking make sense. Why this concept of existence? How are people so readily able to accept this concept of understanding and just go off it when you can feel that uncomprehending yet knowing nature of the limitless brain beyond human communication? Why do people even WANT to worship a god? Eternity? No... the afterlife is a small concept for scared people succumbing to fear of losing their identity. I think eternal death goes beyond everything... wraps it up to perfection. Back to the dark womb. I don't even care why anymore... I just wish it was okay, but it will never be okay... until I'm dead. I don't want it but I know I need it to end. I am merely a life cycle.
>>
>>559353887

This and nothing else.
>>
>>559336404
I don't fear it. It's comforting in fact.
>>
>>559342575
this guy gets it
>>
>>559354795
I understand what I said was highly irrational but that doesn't make me an autist. It makes me a thinker.
>>
>>559341286

dude it's gonna be so much fun and super awesome to see what actually happens after you die!
>>
>>559355108
>>559350210

exactly what about non-existence is comforting or something to look forward to in your opinion?

its the cessation of all you were and could ever be, and it lasts for eternity.

i am fearful of eternity because it is permanent and there is literally nothing.

total oblivion and no existence for infinity.

its terrifying.
>>
>>559355052
Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
>>
>>559354897
I hate lonely nights because I fuck myself in the brain. Especial with threads like this one.
>>
This same thought kept me up all night last night.

Fuck..

How are you feeling, OP?
>>
>>559336404
Take a really deep breath and hold it in for awhile. Then have someone push out all your air so you feint. thats what death feels like. nothing to fear except fear itself bitch
>>
>>559336404
agnostic faggot here.

You can't prove there is or isn't a god. If you really fear death i recommend religion. iJust think "bad ass motherfucker, big ass titties" and your fear goes away if you don't wanna be religious.
>>
>>559355557
im genuinely sorry if i triggered you, its because i am ruled by my fear that i need the support of others to help me.

thank you for your help though.
>>
>>559355127
I was half saying it because it sounded funny in my head. And it's not that it was irrational. Don't say shit like a multiverse "must" exist. Nothing is obligated to anything.
>>
>>559355410

Rofl, you cant be conciously aware of being conciously unaware, get me? You wont even know youre not alive. It could even have happened to you sometime before now....
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 800x585px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 800x585px
>tfw I dont have to feel nothing after death
>>
File: 209749302948839.jpg (41KB, 444x600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
209749302948839.jpg
41KB, 444x600px
>>559355807
>I was half saying it because it sounded funny in my head
lol'd and agreed
>>
Life after death is most likely what life was before birth. Nothing we can actually remember. Our conciousness is just a collection of memories. I believe if I kill myself now that I will feel pain during death (the pain is your nerves telling yourself that your doing something that affects your existence) but what then? After the pain subsides I'm non-existence. And if those who knew me care why would it affect me? I won't suffer from anyone missing me.
>>
>>559337346
this is absolutely the single handed most retarded thing ive read on /b/ today
>>
>>559355747
It doesn't bother me much, it just makes me curious as fuck.. it makes me think about the reality of life. More than millions have died before you, there's bound to be something after death.. you won't be the first not the last to experience it. Think about all the bright minds that died.. maybe they made some kind of playground for us. Maybe we are already dead and living inside memories. Maybe we are sims characters.
>>
>>559346338
I don't think Atheists "desire" non-existence. They just believe that that is what happens. I am an Atheist, but I still want there to be an experience after I die. It just doesn't seem very logical.
>>
>>559356448
i saw op earlier today claiming to not be a faggot.
>>
>>559355731
Whether I believed god existed or not does not impact my belief that the idea of a god is absurdly ridiculous and I would not worship aforementioned god. I do not think my human existence was meant to last for eternity and I believe god was invented by humans as a source of hope. It's merely an illusion. If I'm going to rot in hell then so be it, what a weird fucking existence if that shit happens. Wouldn't make sense. It would not please me if it turned out to be real, and I completely do not believe in that shit. I am a good person because I choose to be... I have morals. I mean cmon, would you worship anything as long as it meant power and safety? Might aswell join up with the westboro baptist church. I hear they're nice.
>>
>>559356551
>there's bound to be something after death

that would be so comforting to know, but without any proof that leans towards that direction i am unfortunately unable to find comfort in that notion, and thus i remain fearful.

but be at peace with yourself and your beliefs, my own suffering should not impact your life.

i am happy though to know that there are many people out there who are strong and brave in the face of what is likely one of mankinds greatest fears.

if there is an afterlife i hope to see you all there
>>
>>559356448
see
>>559347082

This idea is pretty old, and tend to make more and more sense if you expand your consciousness and feel everything to be connected
>>
>>559356856
That moment will come when you die. When your memories of your loved ones and enemies. Friends and foes. Good and bad races through your head. For a breif moment you feel the a extreme amount of sorrow for those who will miss you and that fear that everything memory and every accomplishment will vanish with your consciousness. But until that day comes, be the biggest bad ass you can be. I joined the USMC to kill motherfuckers. I wanna disembowl my enemies and rip there organs out and scream "The blood of my adversaries makes me immortal, let this fuel empower me." and then eat the organs infront of my brothers and foes on the field. Do you realize how bad ass you would be? You would die a legend.
>>
I guess I'll be living the rest of my life trying to stay alive as long as I can until I die then I hope that my life was just to be lived just to find out what life after death is like.

Or maybe we've all existed before birth but our memories don't stay with us. But our memories IS what defines each of us. Otherwise we are just a brand new person in a brand new body.
>>
>>559357892
Just do drugs.
>>
>>559356992
My mind can't wrap around non-existence, maybe I am not fearful because I am to dumb to grasp that notion. I feel sorry for old people, it could happen any day, how do they live with it ? I think I will probably jump of a cliff when I get old.
>>
>>559358101
Maybe we are just sims being controlled by other forms of existence in a higher dimension..
>>
>>559358101
Pretty boring simulation then honestly, IMO. I mean yeah, everything is infinite and all, but on a humanistic level everything fucking sucks. I would personally simulate a world much different than this one, but I suppose everyone's simulation would be subjective, so the amount of possible simulations would be infinite as well.

yea
>>
>>559358445
too* sorry for the typos
>>
I recently had a panic desorde that lasted for a while I thought I was actually going to for since I couldn't calm my self I was 24\7 stress till I stop sleeping unfortunately that's when I decided to search for help.

After I came down I went to research about death for my self and I found different approaches to it.
>>
>>559358445
Non existence isn't hard to imagine.. you just gotta think of the times before your birth.. nothingness.

The thing that is hard to come to terms with is the uncertainty of what is waiting after death.. because we aren't 100% sure of eternal non-existence.. because our lives and everything we know and love came from a quantum event in a dormant non-existing universe (?)... what if there are multiple of these universes in which such events can lead to our populace again? what if there are so many universes out there in the quantum planes that the chance of this happening is really real?
>>
>>559358873
Quoted myself. Meant to quote>>559358567
>>
>>559359174
Not only before, but also after. Just consider the concept of time itself, and how all it is is a man made created concept. It doesn't exist. A million years before right now, and a million years after right now, things will be exactly the same, as in everything will continue to be meaningless. Every single person one's ever met, every single vision, every single experience. All meaningless.
>>
First of all trying to imaging a time before you were born is a wrong approach.
Not only because you have no memory of such but there is also no memory of your self, so this approach is wrong, none existence is not the same as stop existence when though it brings consolation to some
>>
>>559360165
When for all you know, you could be a brain in a tube, you must come to realize that anything can be possible.

And what was that word? "Wrong"? Lol?
>>
>>559359797
But remember.. our intelligence does have a limit.. just how computers have limits.. our brains do aswell.. maybe there is a purpose we just cannot see or understand. In that case we can't really ever understand the experiences we experience. We just see them as an experience. We don't know what caused the experienced or what effect the experience has on the quantum field we currently exist in.
>>
>>559360608
We don't know, and we don't know if we'll ever know. That is the simple answer to everything.
>>
>>559336404
You should be scared of how you get to your death.
>>
>>559341765
Finally, someone who's actually read something.
>>
I long for it. I just want to stop existing.
>>
>>559361043
i am sorry you feel this way. my dream is for everyone on earth to be able to live happy and fulfilling lives but there is so much messed up stuff that occurs in this world, so many people have such unfair lives and it pains me to know this.

>>559360165
>none existence is not the same as stop existence when though it brings consolation to some

i think i understand what you mean by that but, i suppose in the end it is the same concept is it not?

please explain your thoughts further
>>
Yes wrong there isn't too much study about what happened to the being after it stop existing most scientist don't touch the matter because science is about living things death enters more on the paranormal and religious realm, so no established scientist touch that shit with a fork
>>
Think of the animals, they are born, they eat, they breed and they die. Nothing changes after they die, the next generation continues their cycle. We believe in a after life because of our consciousness, because we evolved to be more than just "eat, breed, die". We think too highly of us to consider non existence and the fact that when you die you just die and nothing changes. We are just animals, we weren't meant to be special from the beginning, evolution did it, we were lucky.
>>
>>559361538
Are...you...joking?
>>
>>559360718
I also refuse to believe that earth is the only planet with life.. there's an almost infinite number of planets our there in the ever expanding universe there has to be another planet with organisms like us trying to understand existence.
>>
>>559336404
ego death
>>
>>559361607
> lucky
>>
>>559361607
Very true. Evolution really did a good one when it had humans come up with religion.
>>559361764
I agree that it's very very possible that life exists elsewhere, but again, nothing is ever guaranteed.
>>
>>559361793
Yes lucky.. consciousness is what makes you exist, it's the best thing that can happen to a being.
>>
>>559361607
>>559361793

i wonder if truly are lucky as well.

i have heard that we are luckier than the billions of humans that never had a chance to be born, and that we are lucky to be alive to lament our inevitable deaths.

but are they not the truly lucky ones to never have to endure the sadness of contemplating their existence?
>>
Lucky is subjective, pls...
>>
>>559362228
The price of being alive is death.
>>
>>559362228
we HAVE the existence, we fucking have a taste of it.. of course that with good comes bad. Enjoy it while you last, you are star dust and will continue to be star dust.
>>
was /thread a long ass fucking time ago, but

>>559362739
>Enjoy it while you last, you are star dust and will continue to be star dust.
/thread
>>
I'll try to write a literal approach to my none existence stop existence.

To me is a matter of memory even if we don't remember our own there will be some one some day even if it was just to stubble on your grave that will say "I wonder what this guy die of"
That's a memory and is latent and that memory it self exist.

But if you were never around that means that you have no memory, even fetus that were not fully consived have a memory a ripple that causes some sort of feeling and in it self produces even more ripples.
>>
>>559336404
I'm not afraid of non-existence. I'm actually looking forward to it. But I don't know how to get there without making things worse.
>>
by realising how horrible it would be if we lived forever
>>
>>559336404
Ultimately you don't.

But, maybe this line of reasoning from an old Greek philosopher will help you:
Death must not concern us. For when we are, it is not. And when it is, we are not.

Maybe that's why death is so frightening. It's like an unreality. Nothingness. Incomprehensible non-existence without conscience to even comprehend anything at all. You are removed from the universe. Your universe dies with you.

This is incredible but at the same time it means that death itself is not 'real'. It's the destruction of your reality and that is why you shouldn't concern yourself with it.
Ignorance is bliss in this case.

I would like to live forever, but we sadly can't have that (yet). Our days are numbered but I'd rather live a finite amount than never live at all. I'm gonna make it count.
>>
>>559362739
Before we were born we still existed whether we had free will or not. What I mean by that is that our matter in terms of sperm/egg existed from nutrients and the nutrients existed from lets say a plant which exists from other minerals and sun light.. sun light comes from the sun and the sun and the rest of the solar system formed from a giant, rotating cloud of gas and dust which again exists from the big bang. We are a product of the universes creation. Yes you had to be born and given the right nutrients in order to grow in the womb but regardless, you didn't just come from nothing.
>>
Is easy not to care about something like death because is being happening since the beginning of time and is approach as inevitable.

Back in the day people ever thought about death in terms of existence that's because those were the days were ignorance was the currency.

But as we evolve as we become more advance as we see things like the one doctor atala is doing, some one who can come almost any organ and make it custom made you star wonder.
Not only want happens after you for but also if death is necessary.

I think it was Benjamin frankling who though that man could become one day virtually immortal. Or at least could leave war beyond his days.
>>
>>559336404
in a year you will kinda be over it. I was in the same boat and now I'm just super apathetic. you can't do anything to change it so why bother. At this point you under stand that putting faith into a religion is just delusion, and you will never, deep down, believe in it.
>>
>>559337346
please take this unrealistic romanticized bullshit and burn it
>dumbest thing posted in this thread
>>
I'm not really afraid of death, and never really was. I'm more afraid of the conditions leading to death. I don't want to burn or get shocked to death or something like that. More than anything, I'm not scared of nothingness, it's just a bit sad, but that sadness motivates me. If this is the only life I've got, then I have to make a difference. I can't just throw this life away and hope that there's a better one on the other side, I have to make this count.

I don't really mean to start this argument again, but when religious folk ask me what I have to live for, I don't really understand. I have everything to live for, they don't. They think that their life gets better when they die, they're the ones living solely (heh) for death. I am inspired to not waste every moment. I have to do what I can now, and hopefully better others on the way.
>>
nonexistence is something we can neither define or understand, so why be afraid of it? If life is so grand, why is there nothing to compare it to?

Personally, because I believe the entire universe is "alive" there really isn't such thing as "dead", you just become "less alive" as bacteria eats your body.

You are just "transformed" back into a simpler state, dig? We bacteria now. But then thats me, and how can you trust the word of a nigger?
>>
>>559365469
basically we are just an entity made of stardust that somehow became self aware?

maybe its seeing how brave everyone is in this thread but i guess i'm starting to feel an iota better.

thanks.
>>
>>559365346
Oh god, I know, right?

Give me existential depair any day of the week, physical pain is just not my bag, baby.

(Save the occasional whipping or spanking)
>>
>>559364892
In my mind you can't just say the Big Bang was the beginning because how can nothing become everything in a flash ? How did the first particles 'born', how did they started from nothing at all. How did the literal space to contain the particle was created ? Things like these almost makes me positive that a something or someone bigger than us exists, a ruling power, but even then what created that someone or something ? Nothing makes sense.
>>
>>559365686
Well I'm not too upset about it. When I'm dead and gone, I don't suppose I'll care much about whether I've done anything or not. Right before I die, I will care if I'm getting stabbed or burned, or if I'm slowly drowning.
>>
If you're nonexistent whom will be there left to worry. I think what you're really scared off, OP, is the fear itself, not really death. You are scared of the ibby jibbys you get when you think about nonexistence.
GLHF
>>
>>559365683
no man, the stardust like "is" aware, you dig? The whole fucking galaxy is just one big awesome computer doing is cosmic dance

everything is aware, even the dirt and the grass, just not aware like we are. Even if your just a bunch of dirt in the grass after you die, there is still a chance of being absorbed into a higher collective.

Thats why i sometimes feel sorry for my colon cells. (I literally used to think about this every day, like how much it would suck to be a colon cell, cause its like being a castoff in society, you never get to be a cool ass nerve cell)
>>
continued consciousness after death is my biggest nightmare. it's been hard enough being conscious for the past 30 years and I probably have another 30 to go before it'll be over. and it better be over. eternity can go fuck itself.
>>
>>559366228
so you are saying that i fear the fear of death?

i kindof understand what you are saying but how does one isolate the fear of fearing something?
>>
>>559366342
I like to imagine that our consciousness undulates during death, and begins again somewhere, sometime else, forgetting everything. So it always feels like it does now.
>>
>>559366232
I just thought of something... what if our conciousness isn't 'attached' to us like bones and muscles are.. what if we are just remotely concious.. and that when we're dead that remote conciousness can be transferred to another space?
>>
well, and i'm just being shallow here, don't let people kid you about how scary death is. Its a scary, scary thing, but in the end, you will be old and tired and life will seem drab and sad, and death will seem like a blessing.

I know that is of little consolation, but think of it like playing your favorite video game. After a while, no matter how cool it is, you can only play it so many times before it gets old.

Likewise, there are only so many things you can do in one lifetime, only so many experiences to be had, all of it is limited and finite.

Death is a chance to start over.

But thats just like, my opinion, man.
>>
>>559366558
Just observe the ibby jibbies for what they are. That fear you get must be noticed for what it really is.
>>
>>559336404
my friend, you think about dead, but you should think about inmortality...
do you really want to be forever here, even when the earth collapse and to the end of this universe?
the man lives what its brain lets im live while not turning crazy... a 1000 years old man would be absolutely crazy dont you think?
just live your life doing what you really want so when the time comes, you will want to rest
>>
>>559342247
basically what this guy says
the fear of non-existence is one of the dumbest things i've ever heard lol
theres literally nothing to be afraid of, since you don't even exist
like come on son stop being a pussy
>>
>>559364056
A hopeful cop-out that helps your sanity might be this though:

If there is an infinite amount of universes, some way different than ours, some quite alike and SOME exactly like ours, then could we exist in the same exact capacity again? Maybe even right now another 'you' is dieing wondering aboit this very thing and taking comfort in the fact that you are still here, able to experience the joyous wonders of /b/...

I don't know how comforting that thought actually is though, because clearly this potential 'other me' has no effect on myself. It's not very comforting at all, is it?

Well, I heard of some theory that the universe might actually contract one day and a new big bang will happen. Maybe this will happen often enough to recreate myself and what if, through... quantum shenanigans my consciousness is retained? This is wild and probably bullshit speculation, but still...

One last thing - we could very well all be living in a simulation. What if our kind 'sysadmins' give us some paradise to play around in after dieing?
>>
>>559366776
DUDE!!! thats exactly what I was thinking!

I mean, not to be so non-chalant about it, but whats the big deal? I've always felt like my mind or spirit or whatever was just tethered to my body, waiting to be released. Its when our soul clutches to that tether and won't let go that you become really afraid, afraid of change, afraid of what might happen.
>>
>>559366802
if you dont mind me asking, can you put this in a more palatable form of advice?

it seems like you are telling me that i should just stop being afraid... which i am desperately trying to do.

sorry if im coming off too annoying but i value your input on the matter.
>>
>>559366616
If this is true I just have one wish: that my memory that I've worked with here stays with my conciousness if I'm concious eternally.. I want to be able to learn and grow as a spiritual being and maybe one day create my own universe in which I can ascend.
>>
>>559367124
No, trying to stop won't work like you intend. Instead observe it for what it is. And without interference that fear passes. You won't stop being afraid of death.
>>
>>559367183
It may seem like a nice idea now but I suspect you'll get very very tired of yourself eventually and will want to forget again. GLHF
>>
Don't think about it.
>>
>>559366889
>What if our kind 'sysadmins' give us some paradise to play around in after dieing?
I hope whatever brought me here gives me a hell of a ride out.
>>
>>559336546
have the same reason too. if there was nothing before then theres nothing afterwards. but then it seems like everything is just a lonely void but that sounds too easy and unlikely
>>
>>559367124
You need to confront your fears.

Basically, you should put yourself in a situation that makes you afraid, but not so afraid that you can't function.

You build up a tolerance for it, by taking small risks, like flying on a plane, then you slowly build up tolerance for it, and at the end of it your skydiving into the open air for the fun of it.

Embrace death, steel yourself against it, don't take foolish chances but don't be afraid of risk either.
>>
>>559367470
>You won't stop being afraid of death.
once again i have to apologize for being dumb and annoying you for more clarification but...

observe the fear... the fear passes... but i'm still afraid of death?
>>
>>559347440
prob unverifiable for the sake of science since science can disprove or prove god but made up? nahh that would make everyone in this world a liar and thats not true.
>>
>>559368420
give me a detailed explanation as to why you're afraid (sorry if you posted it already, but not reading through 211 posts)
>>
>>559336404
By making your life worth it.
>>
fear is a response to the unknown

understand that from the unknown springs potential. id suggest using your imagination.
>>
>>559368775
won't that just make your fear of death even worse?
>your life is so good you never want it to end
>naturally come to fear death even more
>>
>>559368762
No need to apologize.

Basically my fear is of total oblivion. We have our memories and our experiences and our love.

But to then think that once we are dead, there is literally NO coming back, and that we remain completely unconscious for the rest of eternity.

It is hard enough to fathom the 13 billion years before I was born, to think about the INFINITY that remains after I die is bad enough, but the fact that I will simply cease to exist the way that a candle is blown out or a computer is powered down is making me depressed and anxious.
>>
>>559336404
I'm not bothered, honestly. It should be like perpetual, dreamless sleep.
>>
>>559336404
It's nothing great. Just another round on this shitty planet. And another round after that.
>>
>>559345416
If I was hardcore biker Jesus I'd flood your house right now
>>
>>559336404
Erosion. Planting trees and generally treading lightly will make the world a better place. So much to understand and experience on my brief travels through time.
>>
>>559369459
i would be ecstatic if we knew there was another round waiting for us.
>>
>>559369421
Your thoughts, memories, experiences, and love are all electronic impulses pulsing across your nervous system. All these things are energy, which is, according to the second law of thermodynamics, eternal.

Drop the vanity, the universe cares not for your pyramid schemes. Let go, your notion of "you" never existed.
>>
If a God does exist. Is this God an organism? Does this God have a body? Does this God have a face (eyes, nose, mouth, chin)? Is this God a male? What color is this God? Could this God create a universe so big that this God can never traverse? Why does this God exist? Why did God need to create shit? Best question: How long has this God been around. I struggle with answer of 'forever' because there has to be a point in time in which the God never existed.
>>
>>559369976
Time doesn't exist, its an illusion created by perspective.
>>
>>559369976
Unless it's 4 dimensional (or higher) and time never had a beginning...
>>
>>559367745
>Dude I've been waiting SO fucking long to meet you. Oh sorry, I should probably introduce myself: My name is Gary and I created you. Omg dude, I never would have thought you'd turn out like this... this is crazy! Here have a beer, and 3000 fucking bitches! Wanna take a spin through the universe? I can let your relatives join in as well or you might want to see them later? You know what, I gotta show you this super nova up close first!
>>
>>559336404
you live with the constant knowledge expectation and acceptance of death, 24/7
>>
>>559370217
you can say that about anything, you don't exist, you're just a point in space with an extremely low electric potential
>>
Why are you afraid of nonexistence? The only thing that scare me about death is what precede death. I am scared of being murdered, of war or of drowning in the ocean or anything that involve a slow and painful death. But death itself, there is nothing to be scared of. Actually, it is quite empowering. Nothing mathers. There is no need to enjoy life. In death it doesn't matter. I will regret it when I am old? In death it won't matter anymore. However I screw up in life, When I will be dead nothing will matter anymore. Don't you find it liberating that nothing matter and that you will be freed from yourself someday?

>>559365346
I like how you think however
> I have to make a difference
> I have to make this count
No you don't. You don't need to do anything. You don't have to do anything. There is nothing you "must" do in this life. Get this out of your head.
>>
>>559369421
i honestly don't know what to tell you without sounding like a total pessimist
but then again, nothing about life is positive no matter which way you try to slice it
i really dont know what to tell you bud lol
>>
>>559370551
He can be taught!

Didn't Buddha say something about the difficulty not being in explaining the path but finding the pupil capable of hearing the lesson?
>>
>>559370217
You didn't have to answer the question if you couldn't but saying time doesn't exist is really dumb when it's something we all live in. Space and time.
>>
How god damn retarded do you have to be to fear death? Fearing the actual process of dying I can understand, but fearing being dead itself? What the fuck? You're obviously not thinking of death correctly. All you have to think about is how it was when you were asleep last night, or how it was for eternity before you were born. That's what it is. In that state you are non existent and can't fear anything, so why would you fear being in that state when you can't fucking experience it?
>>
"One has to come to term us with one's own mortality.
And you can't really help people who are having problems with mortality,
If you've got problems of your own.
So you have to begin to sort things out,
And I thought I had sorted things out until I saw this excerpt from this book,
Of certainty I shall remember what it said:
"Life is not the opposite of death. Death is the opposite of birth. Life is eternal."
And I thought that it's the most profound words I have ever heard about that issue and it really put me in peace.
(I felt it was a wonderful story.)
And that's it.
What else is there to say?"
>>
>>559371041
knowing now that i will be wiped clean off the face of existence is terrifying, thats why i am afraid.
>>
>>559371041
this is basically what i wanted to say, but really couldn't think of how to word it
>>
>>559371186
Listen carefully now. When your dead. Every feeling you've ever felt will subside. That's if non-existence is what occurs. You won't be able to feel fear.
>>
>>559336404
i like to think that the fact that we are conscious is evidence that we are and will keep on being. I believe that when we die you live for the rest of eternity on that split second before death remebering your life because without memory is as if we never existed. I always think about people with memory problems since they cant form a real time line its like they dont have consciousnesses thus dont exist. So the mere fact that we remember things and are conscious means that we will live on in some way or another not just disappear. Sorry I know it really confusing but idk how to really explain it :(
>>
There is report on reincarnation that has some validity in it, now do we all get to reincarnate?
I believe God exist but not hell or heaven, energy can only be transformed not created or destroyed.
And since there is a limit to it god can't give himself the luxury to cats eternal energy.
There is a recycle.

Hopefully on your next life you get to be a nigger
>>
>>559371009
wiki some quantum field theory, or google carlo rovelli.

time is an illusion. you see time pass because you are the sunlight passing through an icicle. it appears to move, but in reality every potential exists. the information rearranges based on what you decide to see
>>
>>559371186
but why?
you literally won't exist, there is nothing to fear
if anything, you should be happy that you're not stuck living eternity on this shithole of a planet
i'd rather spend dead than alive
no pain, no struggling emotionally, financially, etc
not existing is the best thing that could happen to you tbqh
>>
>>559371474
i am kindof already aware of the fact that once i am dead i will literally feel nothing, for eternity.

it is the fact that i am aware now, knowing that once i die that i will feel nothing ever again that scares me.

sorry if i'm beating this dead horse i just want to convey what i am afraid of in exact terms so that (if you are interested) you know what my mental preoccupations are.
>>
you say screw it because if you dwell on the end of the story you can't enjoy the best part
>>
>>559336404

In my experience, you're either the type of person who fixates on this or you're not. I personally am always preoccuppied with what is going on right now. I accept that whatever happens after death is likely the same for everyone and I'll find out when I get there. My wife, on the other hand, always seems to find time to worry about stuff like that.
>>
>>559336404
>>559336404
Every molecule you are every atom that is "you" in your physical existence still exists in the universe. you will seep into the fabric of spacetime. Recycled by the universe just like every other atom until a black hole swallows us and eventually redistributes the information over a new plane of spacetime. Death is simply the fast forward button that we experience while in this universe.
>>
>>559336404
smoke some DMT
>>
>>559370968
Haha I have no idea man, I'm more physicist than philosopher
>>
>>559371862
i think you have an unrealistic view on death
you realize that once you die, you're totally dead
>it is the fact that i am aware now, knowing that once i die that i will feel nothing ever again that scares me
it won't even matter because you would be dead
you simply won't exist
you won't even know that you're dead, because you're fucking dead
like you just literally won't exist
think of a large empty space
that'll be you
absolutely nothing
>>
>>559372224
Life isn't black and white.. there's a variety of shades of everything in life..
>>
>>559372453
haha that is the exact same stuff that terrifies me!

>>559372296
i fear that the heat death of the universe will occur and no such redistribution or reorganization will occur afterwards
>>
>>559371186
Yes, but what are you gonna do? Spend that short glimpse of life worrying about the end of it?
You will cease to exist. Nothing you did will matter once you're dead. All your memories, thoughts, dreams and hopes will most likely be gone. Forever.
Once you are dead. That's key.

You're not dead now. You're privileged in that you're alive. Act like it. Don't ruin what you have, just because you will not always have it.

It's an imperative to not think too much about death so you can enjoy life.

In a couple of hours what you have written on this board will all be gone. In a year it will be forgotten, probably even by you. But you still did write on here. And no one and nothing can take this fact away. Would you rather be paralyzed by fear or just be glad you've written at all?
>>
>>559372724
Time is infinite.
>>
>>559372864
time is indeed infinite but eventually activity will cease and all matter will continue in perpetuity expanding along with the universe, drifting further and further apart for eternity.

surely there can be no solace in knowing that?
>>
>>559372390
Unrelated question but I always enjoy talking to physicists. Has mankind uncovered more answers or created more questions in the past 100 years or so of study? Or are those two sides to the same coin? Discovery yields answers and answers yield questions kinda thing.

I only ask because as an armchair physicist I can't wrap my head around physicists writing QM off as "quantum only". Is there a mechanism between the quantum world and the macro world that irons out the wrinkles QM presents?
>>
File: giphy.gif (611KB, 480x480px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
giphy.gif
611KB, 480x480px
There is not tomorrow so live today.
>>
I guess you just have to realize you won't be able to perceive the nothingness. Like going under for surgery, you know you won't feel or experience the surgery, so you can't really fear the procedure itself.
>>
>>559372843
you are absolutely right in that noone can no for certain what happens when we die, and that time is better spent living life rather than fearing its end.

i just wish i could snap myself out of my existential slump and be happy but its just not that easy for me.

thank you for your words though.
>>
>>559336404
Well think about it this way, you came out of Oblivion once already when you were born right? In all reality if you do get tossed back into Oblivion when you die, then It's extremely likely that you're going to get pulled out again someway somehow. And it would seem instantaneous to you, like when you sleep. So there probably is no eternal rest, or non-existence.
>>
>>559373135
Lol according to what? Our omniscient understanding of the universe at its most basic levels less than 500 years after we first invented the flush toilet?

Wei Po Yang said: "Worry is preposterous, what do you know that you should worry?"
>>
>>559336965
/thread

you can't be dead from your point of view as death is the cessation of your view

you can't fear death only the idea you have of death in your mind
>>
>>559373403
i believed that would happen and it gave me peace until i realized that the Big Crunch theory of the universe (repeating Big Bangs) has been more or less debunked and that my reanimation is thus many times less likely.
>>
>>559373594
Makes me smile so much that the world can still turn out minds like yours.
>>
>>559372724
The duration of your life compared to the duration of time is equal to 0%.. if you believe in eternal death then you're in for a deep sleep because the next time you may be concious is when the universe collapses and the big bang happens again and collapses and happens again and then maybe after a few trillion big bangs you may exist again. But remember for it you be 'you' it has to have your memories etc. Also there could be multiple universes in which you can exist in provided it's 'you' as in you keep your conciousness.
>>
>>559373868
i fear that there will be no Big Bang...

the only way for another big bang would be if the big crunch theory was true and many scientists believe that since the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, it is unlikely there will be another big bang.

I originally believed what you do but upon reading further I ended up scared again at the permanence of death.
>>
>>559372843
You're not dead now. You're privileged in that you're alive. Act like it. Don't ruin what you have, just because you will not always have it.
He is not privilieged. He is not cursed either. There is nothing to ruin. There is nothing to succeed either.
OP can do whatever he want with his life. If he want to spend it worrying about death, it is his choice. In the end it won't matter. He could spend it making something meaningful but in the end the result is the same. You don't get a bonus in death for doing something that is socially acceptable or meaningful. You are not penalized for wasting your life either. In death there is nothing.
>>
>>559373236
Your question answers itself, if I were to say "Yes, mankind has answered more questions in the last decade than they have made questions" it would raise the question as to why that is. Every answer bears a question, but not every question has a definitive answer. So in short, no Physics has not yielded all that many answers compared to the number of questions it has raised, it is like two sides to the same coin as you said. As for QM and its unification with the interactions of large bodies, that question remains unanswered and probably will for some time.
>>
Think about a deep empty space that will be you...
What a consolation.

Being death sucks period but mofos what to think of it like it is no big deal up until they are sitting in the electric chair, then they realized they fucked up bad but it is too late now. Switch and up you go your a fried nigger.

Any consolation that we have on beating death is procreation pass your genetically information for some one else to start over were you left.

And that's about as good as it gets, all of that life is eternal, god will be waiting for you at the doors of heaven bill shit forget about it.
>>
>>559372843
You're not dead now. You're privileged in that you're alive. Act like it. Don't ruin what you have, just because you will not always have it.
He is not privilieged. He is not cursed either. There is nothing to ruin. There is nothing to succeed either.
OP can do whatever he want with his life. If he want to spend it worrying about death, it is his choice. In the end it won't matter. He could spend it making something meaningful but in the end the result is the same. You don't get a bonus in death for doing something that is socially acceptable or meaningful. You are not penalized for wasting your life either. In death there is nothing. Fuck the captcha
>>
>>559374283
>i fear that there will be no Big Bang...
>
>the only way for another big bang would be if the big crunch theory was true and many scientists believe that since the universe is expanding at an accelerating rate, it is unlikely there will be another big bang.
Take what I said with a pinch of salt.. I also meant big bangs occurring in other universes etc. but I'm sure you get the point.
>>
>>559374306
>You don't get a bonus in death for doing something that is socially acceptable or meaningful. You are not penalized for wasting your life either. In death there is nothing.
Your thinking is on the exact same page as mine.
>>
why worry about not existing? You won't mind. Let it empower you to live your life well.
>>
>>559346449
>that entire consciousness will fade with my death for all of eternity, never to know anything yet again.

this sentence/thoughts is also part of your consciousness and will not be there or experienced when you're dead

also
>lost forever

is an experienced idea in your mind and only living people can experience ideas or a sense of loss
>>
>>559373363
Sometimes I feel the same actually and a good friend is actually always kind of aware of death, I think. It sucks. It just fucking sucks.

But give this some thought:

When you sleep, you're not conscious. You're practically dead. I like sleeping. I sometimes dig that total blackout. Not having to think or even being able to. Of course it's not comparable to death because you can be quite certain you'll wake up...

Maybe you should think yourself close to death. What do you feel, and why do you feel it? What are you going to miss? What makes you especially sad?
Now go one step further- you're dead. What is left behind? What did you lose? What are you feeling?
What would you be feeling if you could?
>>
>>559375442
>>559375406
>>559375287
>>559375201
>>559374913
>>559374747
>>559374667
>>559374443
>>559374306
>>559374283
>>559373868
>>559373771
>73771 >>559373594
>>559373717
>>559373594
>>559373591
>>559373403
>>559373363
>>559373259
>>559373253
>>559373236
>>559373135
>>559372864
>>559372843
>>559372724
>>559372651
>>559372453
>>559372390


i just wanted to thank everyone for helping me to get over this sort of crisis in my mind.

ill be honest with you, i still have lingering fears in my mind but at the same time i am comforted in knowing that many people are trying to help.

i hope you all find great peace in your lives, and may you all be rewarded somehow for your compassion.

OP signing out.
>>
>>559374443
Honestly, I think physics has become a decadent study. Like look at yourself, you know you owe your existence to the most delicately balanced system imaginable, yet you refuse to see purpose.

Do you think the first homo sapiens sapiens feared death the way you do? Do you think they tried applying the same panicked rear-brained mindset you are? What have we really learned?

If you want my honest advice, do about 5 grams dried mushrooms in silent darkness and ponder the question. You'll come out sweat covered, tears in your eyes, but you'll have experienced something. Hopefully you'll learn experience and language are two very different things and that you're fighting your own mind.
>>
>>559373717
You can't apply the rules of our universe to Oblivion. In oblivion there are no rules, no concepts like space, time, color, gravity, matter, energy, light or dark, on or off. It's a mash of every possible thing that you can conceive all at once, and so it's essentially the same as nothing at all, yet still everything all at once.
>>
>>559374747
Exactly, you don't get ANYTHING at all in death. So do get it now, while you still can.
No one has to, of course, but it'd be a pity if you didn't use your time wisely.

In OP's case he's scared of death. He's scared of his life ending. But why? His life must be dear to him. It must be fun and good to be so important. Even if it's just the thoughts OP thinks - his life means a lot to him.
Why then let it be ruined by fear of non-live when this can be circumvented?
>>
>>559336404
I've drawn from multiple lines of thought, I have come to this. Live kindly, not for youself or salvation, so that you leave behind a better world. I believe in a grand clockwork of this universe, that albiet you singularly may have no meaning, our ties, bonds and impacts in the gestalt ideals we confide in, and they are greater than us. Also, you don't exist anymore, so you can't fear. And if you did, you wouldn't have sensation because you have no organs.
>>
Time cannot be perceived when dead so even if when you die. You won't be resting 'eternally' you won't be resting at all actually once the universe collapses and your atoms that you consisted of make other stars or your atoms become part of an organisms eyelid in the next big bang or something. Your life will be gorgeously recycled. Even if your ashed are burnt. Grounded. Mixed and Eaten. then Pooped out. Your atoms are still inside the universe. (this is if you believe in eternal rest)
>>
>>559375952
Don't assume before you make an opinion, I'm a firm believer in determinism, that we are fated to live our lives by a grand orchestration, just because I'm good at physics doesn't mean I necessarily agree with it. It is based on the tenants of logic, a flawed system because logic relies on human senses, "I see it therefore it exists" If we become so narcissistic that we believe full heartedly that our senses are the key to enlightenment, we are truly fools.
>>
File: corleone.jpg (80KB, 1209x409px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
corleone.jpg
80KB, 1209x409px
>>559336404

Epicurus began his argument with his conclusion, "that death is nothing to us." His basic argument is laid out as follows:

1. Death involves neither pleasure nor pain.

2. The only thing that is bad for us is pain.

Thus, death is not bad for us.
>>
>>559336404
As someone who has experienced complete drug-induced dissociation, I say complete drug-induced dissociation.
>>
Why is it that everybody say you can't comprehend nonexistence? How do you guys know you can't comprehend existing instead?
>>
I like generalisations as in ones this happen you won't feel a thing out such.
But we are individuals and I like to believe that just like we all experience life a certain way will also experience death our own way as in.
Some people in this life are multi billioners and have gone to parties that you have not the capabilities to even imagine.
Other people are poor and have struggles that also require some imagination.
Then you have the median of people who experience regular things most of their life.
I like to think of death the same way ones most people die that will have no idea such thing happen.
Yet there will be others who are actual conscious that they do not exist in the living realm.
And yet there will be others who might even come back and remember what happen even before they were born.
>>
>>559376968
Death without all the added scepticism and drama is a biological process. Painless. Inviting. Unstoppable. Closure. Free of worries.
Thread posts: 287
Thread images: 30


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.