[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm new to Dota. Give me some tips you learned coming from

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

File: dota-2-official.jpg (124KB, 1191x670px)
dota-2-official.jpg
124KB, 1191x670px
I'm new to Dota. Give me some tips you learned coming from experience on how you got better, as well as hero suggestions.
>>
I'm new too, only level 5

I came over from LoL, and have enjoyed Anti Mage and Spirit Breaker a lot so far. Looking for more hero suggestions from dotafags
>>
random a lot

Don't play meepo or invoker

Every time you kill a creep check your mini map
>>
Don't pussy out and play death prophet and tidehunter
>>
>>556557228

>Lion
>Tranquil Boots
>Scepter
>Rape
>>
>>556557449
starting around 5 minutes, ALWAYS have a tp scroll

People are fucking bad, don't buy items straight off because you might have to buy a courier

Every time you blink check your mini map
>>
When should I go back to base? When I'm low on health? Or just buy tango/salve and wait for courier?
>>
>>556558081
Tangos and salves stop being useful after early game, if you're support work on buying a mekansm. But yes if you're low its a good idea to go back
>>
>>556558629
Mekansm would be a core on all supports right? What else is another useful support item?
>>
Always use "A" to attack instead of clicking.
Click A on the ground and it attacks the nearest target. Get use to just using A to attack. This will help you with last hitting.

also get use to using the S button. Stop.

Some helpful tips
>>
At the start of the game:
Make sure there is a courier. If nobody else bought one that means you should. I don't care if you're the "carry", 150g is only 3 last hits, you'll make it up.
For beginning items at first just always buy a Salve, set of Tangos, a stout shield if you're melee, and whatever the +3 item of your stat is (gauntlet of strength, slippers of agility, mantle of intelligence) if you're ranged.
If you bought the courier just hold off on the +3 item for now.
You should finish the Bracer/Wraith Band/Null Talisman before buying any other items. This'll give you a bit of everything and make it easier to survive. Then just go on to whatever's recommended for the hero, they're usually pretty good and at this point you don't have a good idea of how to change your build to counter other players.

In general:
If you get stomped in the game, don't get mad. Learn something. Maybe you had a Queen of Pain mid against an Outworld Devourer and your QoP lost bad. Does that person suck? Probably, but so do you. More importantly maybe OD is really good against QoP mid. Or maybe the enemy team supports roamed mid and ganked the QoP granting the OD an early lead. Both are things to keep in mind for future games. Maybe next time if you're a support and an OD is on your team you can gank mid and help them win. You've seen it work in the past pretty well.
>>
mute everyone as soon as you load into the game improved my game experience by about 322%
>>
only ever play AB
>>
>>556559258
Depends. Some supports are good mek holders but some need other items more. For example if you are playing Rubick and the other team has a Tide Hunter then you need a Blink Dagger because stealing his ult is more important than having a mek. When you first start playing mek on all supports is fine but higher up you need to learn which items to build when.
>>
>>556559258
Mana boots, eul's, wards

Make sure you're always using your items. A lot more items have on use effects than in lol
>>
Should supports in lane deny creeps?
>>
Step 1. Learn Russian
Step 2. Try to communicate
Step 3. Fail
Step 4. Repeat 1-3.
>>
>>556559326

3 gg-branches are better than 1 +3 str/agi/int item, if you have the slots for it
>>
>>556560725
Usually. Though roaming to a different lane* or zoning the enemy laners is typically more effective. Carries can deny and last hit.

* Don't roam randomly, make sure you're reasonably likely to get a kill or do something useful.

Actually, that's a huge point. Always be doing something. Have a goal when you start going somewhere. If you're wandering around aimlessly you could be stacking a camp, pulling neutrals, zoning enemies, getting last hits, pushing a lane, just standing in XP range, or about a million other things than walking half way from bot to mid then turning around because you weren't sure what you were going mid for.
>>
>>556561393
True, but with salve, tango, and stout you're out of slots until you use some consumables. Plus new people always forget to use a wand (which would be a perfect upgrade for 3 branches) so I always suggest Bracer/Wraith/Null.
>>
>>556561671
For new people: The reason you don't want to be out of slots is because you can buy boots and a tp scroll from the side shop. ALWAYS have a tp scroll. You should get boots as soon as possible on pretty much everyone.
>>
Never touch Riki, Sniper, or Viper. You are the biggest faggot if you have.
>>
i find that unless your in lane with a hard carry as support you never need salve just get 2 tango stacks works much better a salving target is always worth trying to hit and most good players will do it then you have wasted gold
>>
select ap,
select lycan,
build vlads and medalion of courage then go solo roshan
build boots of travels after, and then necro book 3
focus on just farming all game non stop, never stop farming, and avoid all fights, just try to find empty lanes and kill the towers in those lanes, if any enemy heros come, just lycan form and run away then use your boots to teleport to an empty lane and do it all again until you single handedly kill all the barrack's
>>
>>556561671
selling gg-branches isnt that big of a deal, in my opinion. Buying and then later selling 3 brenches for slots costs you 72 gold.
>>
>>556562024
Sniper and Viper its spam Q and Ulti and you win. Riki gets perm invisibilty at level 6 and though you might find that helpful, if you only ever choose riki you won't learn to play other heroes. Also you'll just be another faggot riki player.
>>
OP seriously the biggest thing that helped me when i started is buying a magic wand, and if you find yourself low on mana all the time with a certain character then buy a bottle too.

you save alot of time running back to base and not getting exp so in the long run youll be stronger when teamfights start up
>>
>>556557228
if your american then you should learn peruvian

if you are yurop you should learn russian
>>
pick meepo=ez win
>>
>>556562024
how do you even lose against riki? you literally buy an item less than 200 gold to counter him
>>
twitch / dota2ti_noob

a great stream for newcomers.
>>
>>556557228
>buy warcraft 3
>Play classic Dota
>delete dota 2
>???
>Profit!
>>
>>556563619
ya, oldfags know whats up, i mean US OLDFAGS right?

lol feels good being an oldfag right fellow old fag
>>
>>556563389
dust?

that only works after he hits you, if some dumbass fed him and he has a deso + other shit then he can kill you with a backstab + a couple hits

but he's not that hard, if you have a good support like me with wards and dust he gets raped
>>
>>556563619
>Implying anyone plays that
>>
>>556564862
Riki crushes noobs, but has a huge drop-off if your team knows how to ward.

It's still possible to play riki well against a team like that by NOT using him except in teamfights. Farm with riki while the other time burns money on wards and dust. After they've wasted a few of those when you didn't show up, go kill somebody to make them keep buying them.

It's all about hit and run and well-timed farming. If you try and do 100% assassin riki, you'll lose if the other team is any good at all.

Course, that's true of most heroes. Just play him like he's NOT invisible
>>
>>556560725
that's hard to say, supports are supposed to not rob you of exp, they're supposed to zone out the enemy and secure your farm. Playing support is hard since you have to know when to rotate/roam, where to get exp and at least some sort of farm, etc etc. I'm around 4,5k mmr and when playing farming role, my supports are usually dumb as fuck - they just sit in lane, watching me last hit and stealing exp while contributing nothing. That means we're basically wasting heroes while we could be doing something useful on the map.
>>
>>556565038
Actually a shitload of people still do, and not just asians.
>>
>>556557620
lina
>mana boots
>scepter
>euls
>blink
>dagon ?
>rape late game
>>
>>556557228

Don't die. I'm not trolling. The best thing you can do as a new player is focus on not feeding.
>>
>>556557228
I'm new to sucking cocks. Give me some tips you learned coming from experience on how you got better, as well as foreskin suggestions.
>>
>>556568187
>2014
>not building deadalus bkb helm of the dom lina
>>
An excellent, short video that'll teach you the basics :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f-jR3Vo3Rw
An excellent, long, and above all serious video that'll teach you a lot :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUcVxADBNeo
Purge's videos are amazing to get better. And the guy has a pretty laid back personality, which is a nice change of pace in this God-forsaken community.
>>
>>556559258
The thing is, the earlier you get a mek, the better. If you play a Viper, Enigma, Doom, Dark Seer or something like that, getting a mek will benefit the team more, since these are farming heroes. 250 heal is much better when the average HP-pool is low at 15 min, compared to getting it at 35 min for a support who isnt farming. Maybe the support wont get to buy the mek, cause they need to have wards, courier, some basic items on them selves. If the support is having a bad time, He might only have brownboots and a Tp-scroll. Look at the team-comp. and ask yourself "what does the team need me to get?"
As an example, you play Viper mid. you have 3000 gold. What is better? Shadowblade lets you escape or initiate. Mek makes you more tanky and helps the entire team through a teamfight. Maybe that squishy supports gets his stun off after the enemy goes on him cause of the heal. I'd say mek should be on a "core". Let the supports deal with wards and stuff.
>>
Trilaning safe or offlane is the new meta, Practice it. Look up a guide or something on how to do it without screwing up
>>
>>556570998
Bad advice for beginners, odds are he'll get flamed for even suggesting it.
>>
If you are completely new to dota, you should start of learning the basics like when do i try to kill that hero, when do i go with my team and get a tower. Also play all the heroes so you learn them (dont expect to play well with invoker and meepo, and dont try to get good with them). Playing with bots(hard) is actually a good idea, because they do these things a lot better than your average scrub. Hero picks is anything with a nuke or stun that is easy to play. examples are: moon rider, wraith king, tormented soul, sven, lina, lion, crystal maiden and slardar. These heroes are good alone, and excellent with most others. While playing have fun and learn from your mistakes. Always you could have played better, find out how and learn from it. It is rarely a good idea to read hero guides as personal experience is a much better base for decision making. However if you want to read or watch guides do NOT pick those created by casters (purge). Seriously watching him will only make you a worse player.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.