[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Muay Thai General - /mtg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 267
Thread images: 20

File: muay_thai_by_mysoulartz-d38oefm.jpg (326KB, 600x829px) Image search: [Google]
muay_thai_by_mysoulartz-d38oefm.jpg
326KB, 600x829px
Muay Thai General Thread

Technique & conditioning edition

How long did you train before you got a somewhat acceptable tech form? Did you train just one technique at the time until you got good or did you just sparred a lot?

Also, good conditioning routines for muay thai/boxing/kickboxing to improve your overall ability?
>>
Fucking bump
>>
Got my first interclub on 21st. Any of you Nak Muay anon's give any advice? What's it like? I usually spar with seniors as I am, and I've only done MT for 3-4 months, and I keep up the sparring for 45 mins- an hour, will I be fine or better than fine? Any stories on past interclub would be aprreciated too :P
>>
other that boxing, which has more emphasis on footwork, slips and cutting angles kickboxing or muay thai. is there any training in those movements outside boxing tho, i'm not sure
>>
bump to keep up with the shit rastlin threads
>>
Fucking /asp/ is full of fake sportsmen who watch WWE and no martial artists. Fuck me
>>
Plan on starting at a Muay Thai gym next week, what should I expect and do you guys have any tips for a beginner.
>>
>>968049
you will get confused and nervious due to the fact that it is a new environment in which you are the only one that is not familiar with, also you may not have nearly as fun as the others do since you will probably be told to just hit the boxing bag. What is more, you will get incredibly sore, but you will get used to training so hard and will love doing muay thai.
Have fun, anon.
>>
>>964773
MMA hybrid arts.
Certain Kickboxing styles, maybe look more into American Kickboxing.
>>
>>964423
>traditional asian warrior garb
>branded like a slave
intotherecylingbinitgoes.avi
>>
>>968297
>MMA standup incorporates alot more boxing techniques than muay thai.
It really depends on the gym.
Even modern Muay Thai gyms incorporate more Western Boxing than Muay Thai Boran.
>>
>>968049
Watch closely every technique from the feet position and movements, the hips and torso movements, to the shoulders and arms movements. Once you memorie all the little movements you LL just have to work on them one at the time until you become perfect
>>
>>968287
Yeah, we should have a Striking General, desu, senpai.
>>
>>968049
Also this is the place I'm planning on going, does this look legit to you guys or will I just waste my time there.
http://www.2brothersmuaythai.com
>>
>>968545
I don t think you should worry about that. Start training and watching thai video on YouTube. You LL start getting the hang of boxing and kickboxing. Once you are confident enough you can change gym, you can look for something more technique oriented or more sparring oriented, it s up to you. Frankly speaking there is no reason to look for a legit or not legit gym when you begin training for the first time because muay thai is a long martial art to master. Id you train in a place for long enough you ll start to see its pros and cons
>>
Started muay thai 2 weeks ago and starting judo next week, really hoping they'll work well together the way wrestling and boxing do for me. I've noticed they incorporate a lot of boxing technique which is nice I guess.
>>
>>968287
There's nothing wrong with wearing a mongkhon and prajiouds
>>
>>968049
>>968545

>>968736
I 2nd this.
>>
>>969339
No, I think they're cool. I was referring to the fact that in east asia, tattoos were traditionally used to brand slaves, prisoners and criminals.
Its like a weird juxaposition of two different traditional garbs.
Instead of saying:
>gurr Imma big brave nak muay warrior
he's actually saying:
>gurr Imma puppy kicking scumbag who learned muay thai just to prove how much of an edgy bloodthirsty bastard I am.
>>
at first its a very intimidating environment, and you will spend the first few classes on the bag. But once you develop the confidence to work with others, its probably the best thing ive ever done. Ive been training for 3 months and comparing myself to when i first started theres a large difference in fitness, flexibility and power.
>>
Coach told me today that I need to not be so tense. How do I into loosening up?
>>
>>969797
Be self aware.
Be focused.
After you've achieved these things, it makes it a lot easier to
Be relaxed.

Martial arts doesn't always have to be a in the moment, just react, thing.
Martial arts doesn't have to just be reflexes attacking, and reflexes defending.

Focus, think, but do it fast, do it at the right times, and don't get it.
>>
>>969797
More practice at everything. Footwork and pad drills especially, and then lots of light sparring to get comfortable.
>>
File: Samart.jpg (457KB, 837x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Samart.jpg
457KB, 837x1200px
>>969665
Gotcha
>>
>>964423
I'm thinking about picking up either this or Judo, what would be the pros and cons of Muay Thai? I'm in pretty good shape but have no previous experience with martial arts of any kind.
>>
>>971963
You've got the rest of your life to do martial arts.

Pick one.

If you don't like the one you picked, try the other one.

After a year or so, if you want to be a better overall fighter, pick the other one.

If you like the well roundedness of having 2 styles, and if you don't like the restrictions of only grappling or only striking, start MMA.
>>
>>971963
If you're a pussy who can't stand the idea of getting hit, and don't want to build up pain tolerance, just do Judo.

If you're not a bitch, do Muay Thai.
>>
>>971963
You should try to think what kind of fighting style you want to achieve. I ve always loved the idea of elbows and knees fights so i picked muay thai because it s the main artial art that focuses on that. If you like the idea of throws pick judo. It s up to yoi
>>
>>969665
That s not completly true. Nak muays have mantras tattooed over their bodies as luck charms, strenght enhancers, etc., etc.,...
It s traditional, it s not related only to slaves
>>
Ive been interested in muay thai for quite a bit now, but have not considered starting yet. Im 5'11 and weigh 236 (checked two days ago) so i know im overweight. I started going back to the gym 6 days a week to get into better shape because i do want to join and spar and eventually do just amateur muay. Do you guys recommend continuing with the lifting and cardio until i get to an appropiate weight to start or am i able to join in the state im in?
>>
>>973097
You can start now if you want. I ve got some friends at the gym who are overweight and can move better than me. Your weight doesn t constrain you in any way, it can become an issue only if you want to go pro. In that case you ll get paired up with higher weight opponents that may be a conglomerate of muscles. Keep on lifting but start training in muay thai as well if you want
>>
>>973097
A guy at my gym was really big, like fat, but everyone loved him, he was still fast and threw the most epic mega kicks I have ever seen. I would start going to the gym now. If you eat healthy, youll lose weight doing muay thai, plus if you arent flexible/arent working on mobility, lifting weights has the potential to make you tight, and therefor make you suck at muaythai.
>>
http://www.revolutiondojo.com/ how does this scale on the mcjodo level or do you feel after glancing at it its something worthwhile to go there. Thanks guys for your help
>>
>>973266
I ll just say that my gym doesn t even have a web page, nor a facebook page, nor it s located in a easily accessible area.
I struggled to find a gym near me and when i did i was so happy i just didn t care about anything. I got my submission and started training. At first i was sceptic but then i revaluated it. Trainers there love muay thai, they ve got years and years of training on their backs, their technique it s flawless and are very good at teaching it.
And yet i really struggled to find that gym.
What i mean is that you can t be sure of what you LL find, but probably if they are advertising their courses and have a web page, there are high chances that they know what they are doing. Maybe you ll be disappointed after you enroll there, it might happen, but then you ll just need to find another gym that is more suitable to your tastes, it s as simple as that.
Even if you start training in a avarage gym it s still better than not train at all
>>
File: thaifighter.jpg (76KB, 600x871px) Image search: [Google]
thaifighter.jpg
76KB, 600x871px
How's training going brehs?

I sparred with someone new today. He pulled out a fake leg kick into superman punch a few times, tricky fucker. Figured it out and hit him with it in the 5th round :) Best sparring i've had since starting.
>>
I just had my first session (lesson?) today at the dojo I found, you guys were right, its brutal. I never knew my core and stamina was that weak. But I had a blast. Tomorrow is sparring day so Im excited for that. I probably wont spar much because im new and i need and should be working on techniques and blocking and parrying and kicks etc but this is the most serious fun ive had.
>>
>>974941
Awesome man! I was in your shoes in September. Keep at it so you can justify spending your $$$ on cool gear. Jesus why do muay thai shorts look so cool.

Are they really letting you spar after only one practice? That seems pretty early senpai.
>>
I probably wont spar at all honestly. all form / techniques etc tomorrow for me, but even with light sparring i would be pleased. I believe that when you get the shit kicked out of you, it teaches you. I wouldnt mind it. But the ladder is probably what will happen. still super stoked though
>>
>>973367
>my gym doesn t even have a web page
That's pretty bad for business.

People can't buy your services if they don't know it exists.
>>
>>974990
Light sparring is awesome and the fact that Muay Thai incorporates it so early is one of the reasons I like it much more than other martial arts.

Sparring guys way better than you is definitely an experience. Going against guys within a reasonable skill range as you is good for implementing technique and always a blast, but occasionally sparring with the big boys is a fucking trip. If they're good partners they won't take it easy on you, and it certainly teaches you. Teaches you "I SUCK". talk about ego check. thankfully i like getting that fire lit under my ass to improve.
>>
>>975000
Well i m not from the US so it s pretty common for a gym not to have a web page here, but still it s a pretty good gym and it s very active in regionale and national tournaments so for the time being i m fine with it
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>964423
Here's a good workout I like to do when I don't have a partner to work with. You'll need a heavy bag, jump rope, & a boxing timer.

Set your boxing timer for 3:00 min rounds with 1:00 min rest. If you can, set up the timer to give you a 30 sec warning as the end of your round approaches.

>Round 1: jump rope; last 30 sec of round do double-unders or really increase the pace.

>round 2: Shadow boxing; last 30 seconds increase your speed dramatically

>Round 3: Boxing Only on a heavybag; last 30 seconds blitz the jab/cross combo

>Round 4: Knees & Elbows only; last 30 seconds skip knees on the bag

>Round 5: Full Muay Thai round (kicks, knees, elbows, hands): last 30 seconds blitz the round kick/hook/cross/switch kick/cross/hook combo

Repeat each of these rounds one more time for ~40 minutes of training.

Now, if you want to really push your conditioning you can opt to do calisthenics during your 1:00 min rest periods instead of resting. I recommend using:

>Burpees
>Mountain Climbers
>Russian twists
>bear crawls
>pull-ups (if you use mma gloves instead of boxing or you can get the gloves on/off quickly)
>planks

Try it out.
>>
how do you stretch your leg upwards
my coach been saying i'm pretty good all round except for my pitiful leg stretching
>>
>>975939
If that's your gym, which one are you?
>>
>>975939
That s the kind of training i was hoping for when i started this thread, thank you!
>>
>>968384
Yeah, it's pretty well known that most of the best of the best thai fighters were/are also great boxers. We regularly train only boxing.
>>
>>971963
Muay thai: i think it's very versatile and thus well rounded. One of the most respected strinking arts. You'll get some good conditioning and practical techniques. There are some dojos that go overboard with conditioning, some that will teach "muay thai" but its 80% cardio training". But it's likely that there is a good dojo near you. MT teaches clinching wich is also part of grappling. Bad thing is it attracts wanna be tough guy thugs who want to use it to bash someones head in outside the club. Since it's full contact it's easy to find a good dojo. Just look at the fighting records of the trainers, you'll also probably find vids of some of their fights on youtube, so you can compare them and find a respectable place to train.

Judo: I think /asp/ likes judo, and even puts in on par with wrestling and bjj (holy triangle of grappling). It's a prove grappling style. Throwing someone on the ground can end a fight fast or at least gets you in a dominant position quickly. You also get the ability to not go down that fast. It's pretty widespread so you'll probably also find a good dojo. Since you fight judo with an upright stance (you'll also learn to fight on the ground but the focus is more on standing) it goes well with most striking arts. What i could think of that limits it's usefulness is that in many instances it relies on grabbing the Gi of your opponent, wich isn't there "on tha streets".
>>
>>976037
I'm the shorter, bearded white guy (black shit; white/black shorts).

Pls ignore the cheeky Brit teasing his nips.
>>
>>976400
*black shirt
>>
>>973097
similar position when i began
>230lb, 6 foot tall

take it SLOW. otherwise you'll fuck something up and wont be able to continue.

watch your shins. if you feel like you getting splints, slow it down a bit, or rest a few days.

the problem a fat beginner faces is that the connective tissues - tendons, ligaments etc. cant hold up to the strain. even when the muscles might.

as such, just be wary of your knees and ankles. shoulders not so much, but you may mess up your wrist if you fuck up your technique.

id advise not jumping rope too much right off the bat, and do runs to the best you can. otherwise you mess up your knees and shins.

the actual kicking and punching, ironically, is okay for a fat guy. and its pretty difficult to mess up your shins that way (when you start out, at least). its different once you start doing it on another person as opposed to a bag.
>>
So I had my first day of light sparring considering it was my 2nd day at the dojo, saw a lot of cool things, and was taught good basics of blocking with the legs and kneeing and a stronger stance, also practiced on the bags too when I didn't have someone to spar (it was like partner hopping after 3 min rounds with 30sec breaks). So my goals are for this coming week to use more of my hip in the kicks and have better form.
>>977499
I mean I am overweight but Ive been gym training before starting muay so I haven't encountered those problems yet but ill keep watch. My biggest problem is just the core weakness and the no stamina which I need to continue to improve.
>>
Alright, I'm currently having a bit of an issue.
I am fairly good with left(left hand, switch kicks,knees etc.), and I took that as a chance to start training to fight southpaw.
I was told by some more experienced people training at my gym that the footwork will be awkward and will take much longer to adapt to.
Now my issue is I've begun to understand the footwork, but I'm having an issue getting the same rhythm, and in some cases of high low combos keeping balance.
Any tips? Tricks? Or just more practice?
>>
>>978840
If you understand orthodox, that makes it easier to understand southpaw.

You'll gain comfort with southpaw by repetition, building muscle memory.
>>
>>978918
Alright, repetition it is.
What I've done, for the sake of making things a bit easier is I switch from orthodox to southpaw every round or so during pad work and shadow boxing.
I've notice slowly getting better, but things like the spring I'm known for when fighting orthodox just doesn't seem to work.
Do you suggest dropping that and sticking to more basic footwork until I better understand southpaw,or dropping that completely and develop a different style when fighting southpaw to throw off my opponent's game?
>>
>>978941
>Do you suggest dropping that and sticking to more basic footwork until I better understand southpaw,or dropping that completely and develop a different style when fighting southpaw to throw off my opponent's game?
Get the best of both worlds and do both.
Not only do you get your strengths in orthodox, and your edge in southpaw, but you get the fluidity and hybrid benefits that stem from having both southpaw and orthodox.
>>
I've got my first monkey fight at the end of the week. Just 2x90 second rounds but at least I'll be in front of a crowd and have a shiney medallion to win. Still pretty nervous putting it on the line.
>>
>>979564
Oh so you're having a smoker of some sorts? What's the rules?
>>
>>979662
I'm fighting under amateur kick boxing, no knees, elbows or clinch. In my circles they call it a 'monkey fight' because instead of any strategic multi-round plan its just two green zero-fight rookies dumping adrenaline and wailing on each other for 180 seconds lol.
>>
>>979730
Sounds pretty fun though. How long have you been doing muay?
>>
tfw when coming to terms with the fact that kickboxing may not be for you

>had first amateur K1 Light fight yesterday
>Won first fight but forfeited the second a minute through the first round as I was completely emotionally and physically drained
>got second place anyway so felt OK
>went to class tonight
>got round of applause and took it with quiet gratitude
>got trhough drills and it came to sparring time
>ribs still hurting from a week ago after popping cartelige
>gets to last partner who is a 5 year experienced heavyweight
>heavyweight split my lip wide open about 3 weeks ago
>asked him to go really really light as my ribs are still hurting
>bullys me for a good minute
>back kicks me right in the rib
>fall to ground trying to hold back the tears

I can't bare walking back into that place after what happened. I already felt like a bitch forfeiting the second fight yesterday but now I just want the ground to swallow me up
>>
>>981491
Fuck that guy for being a piece of shit. They always say 2nd past is worst then last, but ask yourself this "do you truely love muay thai" and the answer maybe be obvious it may not, but giving up shouldn't be your reality senpai. Keep working hard and doing great, you will grow emotionally and physically the more you you do it. The first step was identifying it desu. We're proud of you
>>
>>981692
Thanks anon, had tears in my eyes reading that.

I'm a little dissapointed in my instructor too, i literally said to him "i'm scared to hit him (refering to the heavyweight)". It's gunna feel that much more salty giving him my money before the start of every class considering he could have done something to prevent it.
>>
I started doing Muay Thai a couple of weeks ago, and my left hip has been hurting whenever I try to rotate it outwards. I'm pretty sure it's because I wasn't rotating it properly whenever I would do a roundhouse kick. Is there anything I can do to stop it from hurting?
>>
>>980533
I've been training about two years. I'm pretty confident, the coach is confident, and I'm just trying to stay on top of nutrition, hydration, and positive mentality this week.
>>
>>981714
Honestly Im not too sure why they paired you to the heavyweight but use that as fuel to add to the fire of how you feel and take those feelings and apply them to improving and growing desu. Never let that feeling go
>>981806
Hip stretches
>>983168
Nice. Yea biggest think is to keep the positivity and hold those butterflies down. Just remember to follow with your eyes and be reactive desu.
>>
>>983524
>Sparring heavyweights
Where I train I'm happier to spar the heavyweight pros than the new guys. The heavyweight will know what he's doing and control the pace, but the new guys are always the ego tripping wankers that are likely to wig out and go for the KO on me. I guess we just have a good team in my area.
>>
>>981491
Wow what a dick
>>
>>983725
I'm not against it, but in his case it was unnecessary. If you have a heavyweight being a dick if youre a lightweight, that does suck. But it just needs to be taken as a learning experience and continue to grow.
>>
>>981714
Now I don't do kickboxing and was just lurking, but I know people like that
Change gym, if that guy didn't give a shit about it he won't give a shit in the future either and it will happen again. Shitheads will always be shitheads, you don't even need to excuse yourself, it should be the contrary
>>
>>985945
>>983725
>>983524

The most disappointing thing about it is the fact that in the k1-light fight I had on sunday that heavyweight was in my corner giving really good advice and encouragement. I gave him a real heart-felt 'thank you' for helping me through it and then he turns around and does shit like this.

I'll be moving in june anyway to a city with alot of legit gyms. I'll just get some cardio/circuit/bag training in for the next 4 months and start fresh when i move
>>
>>985945
>Shitheads will always be shitheads
lol no

Shitheads with a neurobiological basis for shitheadness from early adolescence will most likely remain shitheads until death.
>>
Need a pair of 16oz gloves. Bought a pair of twins but sent them back because the hand compartment was too small and my fingers ended up poking through the leather.

Been looking at a pair of top king or yokkao gloves. Anyone got a pair?
>>
>>979730
Chilling at the gym now with the coach and the fight team, a few hours out from my fight. Keeping this thread bumped to report in, with the sweet taste of victory!
>>
>>995278
>inb4 crushing defeat
>>
>>995455
Well the guy pulled out at the last minute with a knee injury, so it feels like a crushing defeat.
>>
File: yokkao-blue-boxing-gloves-9e6.png (113KB, 295x295px) Image search: [Google]
yokkao-blue-boxing-gloves-9e6.png
113KB, 295x295px
>>989592
I got a pair of 12 oz yokkaos a few weeks ago. They're high quality and pretty comfy for everything but the heavy bag. The classic Muay Thai look that isn't overly flashy is a nice bonus. You might have similar sizing problems but I can't say for sure as I haven't tried anything from them larger than 12 oz
>>
>>989592
I've got No Contest 16oz's, very comfy, fits well, strong wrist support, no complaints after having them for about a month
>>
>>972386
>don't want to build pain tolerance
>do judo
Spotted the guy who's never done judo
>>
>>969665
Japan isn't all of East Asia.
>>
>>996428
>>>972386
>>don't want to build pain tolerance
>>do judo
>Spotted the guy who's never done judo

Muay thai builds pain tolerance?
I ve always thought it was some kind of legend
>>
>>995278
> Doesn t matter, had sex

A victory is still a victory, no matter the reason.
Cheers man
>>
How are you guys in the clinch? Outside of Thailand, too many so-called "MT gyms" lack the proper instruction in chap kho.

My original trainer was a Wado Ryu guy that learned how to kick with the shin and decided to open up a MT gym. I was 16 and didn't know any better back then. I developed good boxing, could low kick hard, had a good roundhouse, and a decent teep. He also taught me how to side kick, axe kick, and back kick. The only "clinch" I learned was to awkwardly grab the neck (incorrect technique) without any footwork and knee to the side or thigh. Knees were something I practiced on pads and on the bag, so I could time a good one, but couldn't chain them. And we hardly did elbows. He just showed me how to do it in slow-motion and made me hit the bag during practice.

In college, I had the opportunity to spar with this dude that trained in legit MT and he fucked me up big time in the clinch. I was taller than him by 3 inches and outweighed him by 15 pounds, but his grip was insanely good. I had no defense against knees (thank god we were wearing protective gear).
>>
>>989592
>>996327
I personally prefer windy gloves, but there is this company that makes pretty minimalist designed gloves that rocks, my coach has a pair that I used once or twice, when I get to my gym today I'll let you two know the company name.
>>996727
I actually started a clinch general like a week ago. I personally deal with a lot of people who don't take clinch seriously, so when I pair up with them for clinch work or even sparring, I usually end up dominating.
Honestly it becomes annoying when you're easily pummeling in, landing devastating knees, and dumping constantly.
When I do pair up with someone who takes it seriously or have more experience then I do it becomes abattle of tricks, who can pop the elbow to loosen the other person's grip first, who can land a knee on the inside thigh then pop a straight knee off. It's fun, but rare.
And I'm guessing if he trained right he honestly didn't need the knee guards, as side knees are taught to be hit with the inner thigh during sparring, and straight knees are supposed too be held back.
>>
>>996327
>>996330
Boon was the name of the company they're real good
>>
For the time being i m just rocking a pair of 10oz gloves i bought at a local sportswear store for around 20 bucks.
Is there a particular kind of gloves/protection i should use?
>>
>>999545
You could check online and buy yourself a nice pair of Thai gloves. I'd stick to the brands such as Windy, Boon, Fairtex, Twins and Top King.

Extremely well made gloves that will last you an incredibly long time if you take care of them.
>>
>>996727
My gym has a day dedicated specifically to clinch work, but we never work elbows ever.
>>
>>999635
We never work elbows either. I mean, we work them but just on sandbags and such, i think that s because there s been an incident some time ago where a guy injured another with an elbow strike. I m not sure thoug

Also, do you train alone between a gym training session and another?
>>
File: map-japan.gif (25KB, 530x441px) Image search: [Google]
map-japan.gif
25KB, 530x441px
>>996443
It got pretty darn close tho.
>>
>>975939
There's always one black guy who enforces the whole no smiling in pictures
>>
>>999572
I would not recommend Top King gloves (for 16oz at least). They are very well made, but they are too wide.

While I don't own a pair since my Top Kings are still alive, I really like Fairtex gloves.

Top King does however make the best shinguards.
>>
>>964423
I just started thai boxing. Does pad work get easier? I'm so slow wit the combos.
>>
>>1001855
>i just started, does it get easier?

Yes.
>>
>>1001855
>Does pad work get easier?
No.
You get better.
>>
What do you guys do for conditioning and how often do you do it?
>>
>>989592
I'm liking my Fairtex 16oz's. I'm 6'1, 250lb, but don;t have huge hands for my size.
>>
>>996183

That's shit. Worse than a well fought loss, cos the effort went to waste....
>>
>>1004953
>Everynight
3 mile run
750 jump ropes
3 min. x 3 rounds shadowboxing

>Tuesday,Thursday,Saturday
3 min. x 6 rounds pad work
2 min. x 5 rounds heavy bag work
15 min. calisthenics/body weight
>>
>>1007411
Did you get ripped/bulked after training like this for a while? I was about to do it too to vive my body a better shape
>>
>>1008401
Nigga, the only ways to get ripped/bulked are lifting weights and doing advanced gymnastics.
>>
>>1009321
Advanced gymnastic nigga?
>>
>>1009321
>the only ways to get ripped/bulked are lifting weights and doing advanced gymnastics.
You can work up to those things by doing bodyweight exercises.
>>
>>1004953
Outside of the gym, I do a lot of sprint work and olympic lifts. I also do yoga on Saturdays.
>>
>>1018979
Bumping would work better if you didn't do it 30 minutes after the previous post. Actually trying to start a discussion would be good, too.
>>
>>1023793
Naw, it's good for diverting some of the Wrestling.

Also, the other thread is better.

It's stand-up general.

>>979486
>>
Soooo just an update. Yestarday i trained and i realized my movements are starting to get more fluid. It s just been a few months since i started muay thai but still i think it s a good improvement for me. I remember that when in the beginning i was rigid and i used not to move a lot. Now it s become somewhat natural, it s a small step but i m happy with it
>>
>>1024746
good work, keep it up
>>
>>981491
just an update on the above post for you guys ;

spoke to my trainer and he see that he's sorry about the way that I feel but I shouldn't have sparred in the first place. The guy who did it apparently feels a little guilty and has been asking about me, he also went on to say it's a shame since i was improving rapidly.

It's been 10 days since my last class and i'm already missing it. Doing plyometrics and HIIT at the gym just doesn't give me the same buzz.

I really want to go back but i'm still a little embarressed and i'm not just sure whether he's saying im improving rapidly just to get money outta me.

Decisions decisions
>>
>>1026220
He's right, you shouldn't have sparred.

Being able to go light when you have reflexes from developing technique is a skill, and not everybody is good at it.

That back kick of his could've been non-full power.

>I really want to go back
Don't be a bitch, suck it up, and get what you want.
Don't let embarrassment hold you back, take control of your life, and enjoy it.

When you give up on improving yourself in your circumstances, you've given up on life.

You want Kickboxing, you've got a tiny obstacle (embarrassment) in your way.

Overcome the obstacle, and you'll have improved yourself for the rest of your life.
You will be better than you were before, stronger, mentally.
>>
>>1026279
I know what your saying, but i have said in the past 'I dont wanna spar tonight' and he's said 'oh ok well just go light'. I'm annoyed with the recklessness of that type of response and the fact that the club doesn't insist on full thickness shinguards, 16oz gloves and headguards (many use those competition instep guards with 10oz gloves and no head guard).

Think i'm gunna just swallow my pride and just go back. I'm moving in a few months so i'll find a better gym in the end
>>
I like Muay Thai.
>>
anons, i'm in the process of getting /fit/ right now and i wanna ask people that know: should I get in shape first and then start learning this martial art or do it along side of getting in shape? I'm currently a good 30-40 lbs overweight but I'm doing cardio + weight lifting 5 days a week and am steadily going down and getting joocy, would it be detrimental to my body or should I just say fuck it and do it all at once?
>>
>>1029341
If you're going to do both, you need to structure things so you don't overwork yourself.

You should also consider money.
No point in paying for 4 classes a week, 2 hours each class, if you can only keep up for 30min of each class on a rest day from your lifting.
>>
File: fat.jpg (159KB, 1128x550px) Image search: [Google]
fat.jpg
159KB, 1128x550px
>>1029341

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/fitness/7-signs-you-should-stop-exercising-immediately/ss-BBpFxty?ocid=spartanntp#image=5
>>
Muay Thai or karate?
>>
>>1030171
Why not both?
>>
>>1030171
I'm a fan of karate, but honestly I feel like it's probably easier to find a good MT place.
>>
>>1028634
What a coincidence, I do too
>>
How do I set up for elbows? I transitioned from boxing, and I used to do TKD, so I'm fine with knowing how to set up punches and kicks, and I've picked up some combinations from my trainer that end in knees as well as some set-ups for clinching. I just don't know where to fit elbows into anything.
>>
>>1039976
>just don't know where to fit elbows into anything.

Instead of
>jab
>cross
>hook

you do
>jab
>cross
>elbow
>>
Is 27 too old to start this?

I'm a skinny fuck with a bad arm and I don't think my ego could handle being beaten up by a bunch of teenagers.
>>
How in shape do I have to be to start Muay Thai?
Also would anyone in Michigan be able to point me towards a good gym?
>>
>>972386
Lol holy shit please go to a Judo gym,i'll pay your first month
>>
>>973206
Was his name Elliot?
>>
>>1040228

>27
That's a great age to start.
It's not as good as 4, 7, 10, 12, or 15, but 27 is still good.
27 is a lot better than 73.

>get beaten up by a bunch of teenagers
It's not a bunch of teenagers that'll be beating you up, it'll be trained fighters.

They shouldn't exactly be beating you up, either. They should be going easy on you until you're able to start beating them up.
>>
>>1040946
>How in shape do I have to be to start Muay Thai?
You don't need to be in shape, you just need to know when you're pushing yourself too hard, and you just need to know when you're not pushing yourself hard enough.

If you've got money, you might as well start right now, even if you can't keep up with the others during the classes you're paying for.
>>
>>1040004
I just tried throwing this combo a few times in the air to see how it felt. I really have to step in to get into elbow range, but I suppose I'd have to anyways, so I guess I may as well do it at the end of a combination. Thanks for the help, mate.
>>
>>1041223
>I really have to step in to get into elbow range
I guess you like throwing your hooks long.
>>
>>1041182
You got yourself a deal, buddy. The nearest Judo place to me is $70/month for 3 classes per week.
>>
>>1041252
It's just the way I learned. I keep my elbow bent 90 degrees when I throw a hook, and so I've got a little bit more range
>>
>>1041193
How much money should I be paying per month?
The only gym I found is charging $120 a month and it's only muay thai like 2, sometimes 3 classes a week, the other days being BJJ
>>
>>1009533
Advanced gymnastics falls into that category
>>
>>1041253
Not bad at all. I know Muay Thai is brutal, I train in it with Joe Schilling at the yard. I love it, been doing it for years. But to say Judo is not painful lol.

It's one of the highest injury creating sports. Look it up. Being picked up, thrown, and slammed will eventually create an awkward landing where so many things can go wrong.

Not to mention the rigorous training, its an Olympic Sport.
>>
>>1041296
Do it anyway, sparring is great for training.
>>
>>1041380
>Not to mention the rigorous training, its an Olympic Sport.

So is WTF. Being an olympic sport isn't always a good thing.
>>
File: Judo_MuayThai.jpg (103KB, 756x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Judo_MuayThai.jpg
103KB, 756x1056px
>>971963

Both are very effective and well rounded martial arts. I'd recommend to do both, but start the second one after a year or something. Judo is much more complicated and technical, MT will need more physical training.

[Muay Thai]

>a.k.a.
"The art of 8 limbs": hands, feet, knees and ellbows.

>training
A lot of cardio and raw muscle power. You get used to getting punched and hit at your body. You get more flexible and learn to throw devastating highkicks and lowkicks. The punching techniques are simpler than in boxing but still very good and devastating. You learn to fight from the clinch which is very cool.

>in competitions
You knock the shit out of each other to score points or knock the other guy out. You won't see that many ellbows and knees as you might expect because they can be quite devastating.

>on the street
You're the ultimate berzerker, either you kick guys in the legs/face, punch them out or chose to clinch and ellbow them down.

[Muay Thai]

>a.k.a.
"The art of giving way" (sometimes translated "the gentle way").

>training
Strength and explosiveness. You get used to getting slammed at the floor without getting hurting. You learn about 1 million way to throw someone on the ground, also combintions of throws, how to unbalance and not to get thrown yourself. The groudn fighting is simpler than in BJJ, but still very good and devastating. You also learn pins, locks and chokes, which is very cool.

>in competitions
You try to throw someone on teh ground without getting thrown or to choke him out, pin him down or make him tap out because you locked his arm.

>on the street
You will be pretty unfuckable in stand up grappling and fast and decisive on the ground. You can either be "gentle" and make someone trip, pin and lock him and wait until he calms down. Or you slam him into the concrete and add land on top of him if you don't plan on taking prisoners.
>>
>>1041709

Fuck me, the second part I described is of course about Judo.
>>
>>1041380
Curling is an olympic sport pham
>>
25m here, is there any way to train mt without paying a lot of money? I am too poor to afford an expensive membership as I suffer from various mental disabilities that basically ruined my life and struggle to live with them but I would still like to train my body and mind in hopes of strengthening myself instead of becoming a vegetable if possible..
>>
>>1041620
>>1041723

Why do contrarian faggots like you exist? You know in this case he's fucking right. Barring a couple of stupid competitions here and there. The majority of Olympic athletes truly are some of the best athletes around. And in a sport of explosive grappling youd fucking think the athletes are top knotch.

All the Judokas I've seen in the Olympics have been ripped, muscular, incredibly strong, flexible, and very quick.
>>
>>1041969
How much can you afford a month?
>>
>>1042040
like 40 bucks tops but im in canada and our dollar is worthless right now so I dunno
>>
>>1041969

Well, you might want to look into something like Kickboxing or Kyokushin Karate. Both share a lot of techniques with Muay Thai and are often cheaper.

After getting the down you might still change to MT after 1 or 2 years and add the "missing stuff" (clinchwork, ellbows).
>>
>>1042101
okay thanks will look into it
>>
>>1042101

>After getting the down

Sorry, no pun intended.

I meant "After getting the basics down".
>>
>>1042105

No problem.

I was once at the same position and started Kyokushin because MT was too expensive here. I loved it and stayed with it. Nevertheless Muay Thai is a great martial art and I'll look into it if the oportunity will come.
>>
>>1041969
Start with boxing. its by far the cheapest martial art besides taking judo at the YMCA. later when your more financially stable switch to muay thai or kickboxing.
>>
>>1042234
THIS

Boxing and Judo are the cheapest striking and grappling styles respectively.
>>
>>1042234
>>1041969
You can start with Boxing, but you'll have to deal with a lot of bad habits once you get to Muay Thai.
One of them being getting your leg kicked in 24/7.
>>
>>1042529
what about kickboxing?
>>
>>1041296
Is it an MMA gym? MMA gyms usually have good deals when you pay for all of their classes, so you might as well do MMA.
>>
>>1042538
I'd say it's better for transitioning to Muay Thai than Boxing.
>>
>>1042529
Once you start training kickboxing for awhile you will overcome those bad habits. its not the end of the world. plenty of people in my gym started with boxing and are doing fine. someone else suggested kyokushin karate which would also lead to bad habits.
>>
>>1042538
what kind of kickboxing? kickboxing is gonna be around the same price of muay thai usually, and weren't you complaining that you couldn't afford muay thai? If you can afford kickboxing go for it if its a good school. Modern kickboxing incorporates alot more western boxing techniques than traditional muay thai which is a good thing. Traditional Muay Thai fighters are known to have very weak hands. If you can find a good modern kickboxing gym i might just stick with that and skip the muay thai all together.
>>
>>1042529
Yeah but once you transition and get used to fighting within the muay thai ruleset you will have way better hands than most of the fighters who only trained in muay thai.
>>
>>1042580
that being said be careful and do you research on the instructors. Last kickboxing gym i went to was no good. the instructor came from a TKD background and had an unimpressive fight record. Meanwhile the traditional muay thai gym i train at now is very good.
>>
>>1042590
>you will have way better hands than most of the fighters who only trained in muay thai.
But you will have worse elbows, knees, clinch, sweeps, and kicks.
>>
>>1042580
>Traditional Muay Thai fighters are known to have very weak hands.
They make up for it with strong knees, elbows, clinch, and kicks, especially kicks.
>>
>>1042580
>i might just stick with that and skip the muay thai all together.
I'm starting to think there's some bias here.
>>
>>1042539
While they don't really advertise as one they do say they've produced some amateur and pro MMA fighters
Thanks for the advice, famalama
>>
>>1042645
thats not the point. There is nothing wrong with training traditional muay thai my point was modern kickboxing gyms will make you a more well rounded fighter if thats your goal.

>>1042650
how so? i train traditional muay thai currently. Muay Thai has been around a long time and has been proven to be effective. however there are other styles of kickboxing that will make you more well rounded. look at dutch kickboxing for example.
>>
>>1042709
plus dutch kickboxing is more suited to k1 rules since they focus less on the clinch and elbows.
>>
>>1042641
so? he cant afford to do muay thai right now so thats irrelevant. i suggested boxing because its the cheapest and will give you good skills that can transfer over to any striking art. he said his budget is 40 dollars a month which limits your options in alot of areas.
>>
>>1041620
olympic sport usually means they focus heavily on competition and produce top level athletes. even if WTF is a shit style for fighting, olympic TKD competitors are incredible athletes.
>>
>>964423
Can someone explain to me the difference between traditional, dutch, and french muay thai?
>>
>>1042580

is dutch/oriental/K1 kickboxing the best substitute for muay thai?
>>
>>1042922
In my opinion it is. just make sure to check your instructors credentials.
>>
>>1042099
Save up for a bag and some instructional dvds
OR, try to work in a gym as a cleaning guy or some shit, hope they let you train there for free as well.
>>
Took me about 2 weeks to get an acceptable form
>>
How can i improve leg flexibility? Started kick boxing recently and I'm pretty good with my hands since i have some boxing background, but my flexibility is absolute garbage and i can't even give a solid middle kick, got my ass kicked because of that.
>>
>>1044078
Stretch every day, at least half an hour per leg, for several months
>>
>>1044078

Do your strectching, but also use your hip more. Many beginners don't lift their hips, don't pivot enough or fail to turn/lift the grounded foot..

>http://muaythaianalyst.com/2015/01/improve-muay-thai-round-kick/
>>
Mmm can someone explain to me that thing about muay thai hand weakness vs. boxing hand strenght? Is it because there are different punch techniques or because there are other differences?

I mean, i m a muay thai practitioner, i ve been at it for a few months, but to me thai boxing techinques seem the same as west boxing ones, so i ve always thought that thai boxer had the same punch strenght as west boxers, like muay thay was an evolution of boxing with techinques for elbow, knees, kicks and clinch as well
>>
>>1042039
I wasn't dissing Judo m8, just saying that saying it's an olimpic sport doesn't guarantee that it's a good thing.
>>
>>1044404

It's actually the other way arround, Muay Thai punching was influenced by western boxing somewhere.

Traditionally you had some "trick punches" like the Hanuman punch, but apart from that only straight punches or haymakers. Hands were more important for grabbing.

Look at this old footage from 1920, where they have their hands thoughout the fight. And guess what? They wear bandages, not western boxing gloves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9jIuzrsjnE

Now in this fight (some decades later) you still see no hooks or any combinations, only some jab/cross here and there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px1Ivctja4w
>>
>>1044404
Muay Thai fighters aren't very skilled with the hands because punches dont score as well so they dont focus on them in training as much. A boxer is always gonna be way better than a thai fighter at punching because thats all that their ruleset allows so they train them all the time. thats why boxers are faster and hit harder with the hands. also with muay thai when you throw a short punch combination you usually go back into guard or go straight into the clinch. with boxing you tend to have longer punch combinations. I could go on and on on the differences between them but I'm gonna stop here. bottom line is boxers are much better punches because they are hand specialists, while muay thai fighters are more well rounded. It all comes down to the ruleset in your given sport.
>>
Took about 8 months to look good while drilling and punching the pads. My form goes to shit when I spar.
>>
>>1044872
>My form goes to shit when I spar.
You'll get used to sparring, and your form will probably be better.

If you're not already doing these things, make sure to:
>relax
>stay focused
>relax
>stay focused
and
>relax
>>
File: 1456934004997.jpg (56KB, 445x604px) Image search: [Google]
1456934004997.jpg
56KB, 445x604px
Are martial arts clubs at Universities any good or should I just join a gym? Gonna be heading into Ryerson after this semester
>>
>>1044973
you might be able to find some decent judo but i would stay away from stuff like karate. martial arts clubs in universities are great if your on a budget though so i would check it out.
>>
>>1045358
How different is BJJ from Jiu Jitsu? That's the only good club there besides wrestling, the other ones are Taekwando, Karate and
>ninjitsu
>>
>>1045387

Pick up wrestling or Tae Kwon Do.Most likely to have a good teacher/coach.
>>
>>1045387

BJJ if you are a richfag.

Wrestling if you a manlet.

TKD when you are a lanklet.
>>
>>1045423
>>1045408
If I wanted to get into MMA is wrestling good? And yep I'm a turbo manlet
>>
>>1045448

It's absolutely good for MMA.
>>
>>1045448

foundation,along with muay thai/kickboxing(+ the necessary boxing lessons) and BJJ.
>>
>>1045474
>(+ the necessary boxing lessons
That's already had in Kickboxing.
>>
>>1045493

depends on the type of kickboxing.Oriental/Dutch/K1 kickboxing,i agree but low kick and other disciplines can use boxing classes.
>>
Tomorrow I'm starting my shaolin-esque training.

Currently coping with a strained lower trapezius so any real training is out of the picture. But that's kind of okay because I'll have the chance to build everything up and focus more on stretching and knuckle/elbow conditioning and meditation.
>>
>>1045472
>>1045474
Well University's a couple months away, besides lifting what else can I do to help me in wrassling?
>>
>>1045387
I would do BJJ or Wrestling. Probably wrestling would be my first choice since once your out of school its gonna be impossible to train unless you go to an MMA gym. stay away from TKD. its pretty useless.
>>
>>1045756
just do lifting and cardio to make yourself in the best shape possible.
>>
>>1044810
That's nonsense. There's been plenty of Nak Muays with excellent fists like Sakad Pechyindee, Samart Payarkaroon, Wangchannoi, Coban, and Rambo.

You're correct that punches don't score as much, but any Nak Muay worth their salt knows how to do a jab, cross, hook, and uppercut.
>>
>>1046651
Read the post again then think about what you said.
>>
>>1045756
I second >>1046641.
>>
>>1046651
Yes there are nak muay who are good punchers and even some that went on to compete in boxing and do well but when you take your average nak muay and compare them to boxers or even other styles of kickboxing, their hands tend to be weak in comparison.
>>
Like the other anon, i too want to practice more than one martial art. The general recommendation indeed is 1 year each? I'd really like to fight both Muay Thai and Judo.
>>
>>1048515

>The general recommendation indeed is 1 year each?

After one year you have the basics of Muay Thai down and the very basics of the very basics in Judo.

But maybe you mean that you should wait at least one year until you start cross training in a second martial art? Yes, I'd recommend that.
>>
How do I utilize kicks with my front leg? I've got the front teep down and my switch kick is pretty good, but I can't really generate any power for other kicks.
>>
>>1048515
It would probably take about a year for someone to get the basics of a martial art down enough that they could start learning another without crossing too many wires. I started learning BJJ, Judi, and Muay Thai at the same time, and the only reason I was able to handle it without my head exploding was because I focused a lot on the similarities between each and how I could transition from one to another.
>>
>>1048551
>>1052942
He might be able to handle Muay Thai and Judo at the same time with less than a year's wait before crosstraining. Some of the stuff with the Thai clinch is similar to a lot of grabbing in Judo
>>
Have any of you experience with beeing in that state, where you are not a beginner anymore, but can't keep up with advanced fighters?

I have been doing MT for standup basis in MMA, coming from grappling. no problem with cardio or the general mindset. Trained about 2-3 Years with starter group or the MMA guys, now the coach put me in the advanced MT group and I get my shit pushed in.

Sparring in the starter group is a breeze now, so I don't get as much out of it anymore, but the guys in the advanced group are just insane. Most of them are pretty good in technique, which is okay, but most of them don't pull any puches and I have the feeling I can't keep up with that.

Any tips how to handle opponents, who are way better / more agressive than you? Do you also spar with full power?
>>
>>1054539

>Any tips how to handle opponents, who are way better / more agressive than you?

Just take your time, you'll get used to it. And don't try to desperately beat someone who is definately better than you. Just accept the skill gap, learn and give your best. The first times you will get "totally devestated", the next few time "mildly devasted" and one day you will think "wow, that wasn't so bad".

>Do you also spar with full power?

If you try to be "the hot shit" they will only kick your ass. If you are serious but don't overdo it they will fight at 80% and let you get better.
>>
>>1054858
Thanks for the tips Anon

>If you try to be "the hot shit" they will only kick your ass. If you are serious but don't overdo it they will fight at 80% and let you get better.

I have the feeling most of them start to turn up the heat if they notice that I don't go as hard as them. Was about a month after I had my first K1 fight and spared with head protection at about 60% / 70% and got a knee to the face. Had to be patched up with 19 stitches and my coach said I had to match them at 100% or they see this as an invitation.
>>
>>1054919
Sounds like you need to find a new gym. That's about as shitty an environment as I've ever head of.
>>
strongly considering starting MT soon, I'm a big guy (for you) but my cardio is likely shite given I never do any

should I spend a month or so just getting my cardio up so I don't butterbean it up when i start? or just go for it

also, how useful do you think strength is in MT?
>>
What's the difference between Jiu Jutsu and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu? Are they both viable for MMA?
>>
>>1061246
JJJ is what Judo and Aikido are based off of. It's joint locks and throws with some striking and anti-weapon stuff thrown in. BJJ is a derivative of Judo and catch wrestling, focusing mainly on grappling on the ground.
BJJ is great for MMA because it's the grappling art that has the second highest number of practitioners, right behind Judo, and it has a strong focus on live sparring. There's an incredibly vast number of submissions that can be done with BJJ, and it puts more focus on fighting from your back than any other grappling art, which makes it a nice counter to most of them.
JJJ isn't all that good nowadays. There's not much in the way of sparring because of the potential a lot of stuff has for causing injury. This leads to a complete lack of high level grappling in the art, and a lot of hypothetical knowledge because no one ever really uses most of it. Judo is a great substitute for it, though, because Judo is literally JJJ with the more dangerous stuff removed so that it's safe to practice against a resisting opponent. This means that you'll actually know how to throw and submit people, because you'll have extensive training to do just that. Unfortunately, Judo isn't as good in MMA as BJJ or Wrestling are, mainly because no-gi Judo isn't a thing. However, in real-life self defense scenarios Judo is really good, because people usually wear clothes when they attack someone.

Also, what does any of this have to do with Muay Thai?
>>
File: 1456848138721.jpg (78KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
1456848138721.jpg
78KB, 500x641px
>>1061313
>Also, what does any of this have to do with Muay Thai?

Absolutely nothing I just didn't know which general to post this in and didn't want to make my own thread
>>
Anons, what books/vids would you recommend for learning strategy and what not?

My school mostly concentrates with us hitting combos on pads and sparring. Little time is given to actual game plan and strategy
>>
>>1061500
See if you can talk with your coach. I try and come up with questions in between training sessions to ask my coach so I can improve myself and see what I should focus on. I started off with questions about footwork and proper technique, then moved on to questions about individual techniques and what situations to use them in. I've asked him more than once what kind of 'style' of Muay Thai I naturally use and what I should and shouldn't do to maximise the effectiveness. I'm a kind of fighter that likes to move in and out of attack range and counter, and I have fast hands and strong knees, so he showed me some short, quick punching combos and gave me tips on clinch-fighting.
>>
>>1061500
Here's an exercise you may or may not find entertaining.

>look up free fights on YouTube or something
>watch fight
>analyze fight
>contemplate the fight
>write down the move-by-move of the fight
>contemplate some more
>formulate paper on your analysis of the fight

Maybe you could even make YouTube videos like these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4dpoSQWsE0
>>
File: 10irj3.jpg (66KB, 648x364px) Image search: [Google]
10irj3.jpg
66KB, 648x364px
>>1061500
>My school mostly concentrates with us hitting combos on pads and sparring. Little time is given to actual game plan and strategy

Depends.

If you're strong at cliching, then start going in and clinche. If you're strong with your kicks, stay within kicking range then go for cliches.

Also think of game theory when you're sparring. For example, you kicked him twice with a teep to the stomach, your next teep is going to be to his face.
>>
>>1059839

Just go there and train.

If your cardio is that bad you might want to consider running /p rope jumping for two weeks before getting there. But its doesn't really matter, you won't keep up the first few classes and that's totally OK.
>>
>>968049
step in for elbows
>>
>>1007411
>3 mile run
>everynight
Surely this would fuck up your knees and shins right from all this running without having a rest day?
>>
>>1062101
3 miles isn't so far. The problem isn't the distance but the surface and running form. Heel striking concrete is why people get bad knees from running.

You're right though he is overdoing it.
>>
Been doing muay thai in a school hall once a week for one hour with just mats.
Ive been 4 times.
Is it a good idea to go into sparring just yet or wait till i learn a bit more?

in the school hall we have no ring just a hall, mats and us.
>>
>>981491
That guy sounds like a dick, but it's possible that in some bass-akwards way he meant to be encouraging/ didn't want to insult you by holding back. If he feels bad and has been asking after you, it might not be a bad idea to try another class or two. But DON'T hang out if he does it again. There's plenty of places that will help you improve your technique and conditioning without just beating the shit out of you.
>>
>>1062462
Sparring is just fun; I'd do it, if I were you.
>>
>>1056079
this desu, sounds like a bunch of macho manchildren. Sparring is just sparring, no-one should be getting stitches afterwards. especially with headgear
>>
Anybody got any experience with Sandee shin pads? Good or bad?
>>
>>1062101
>Surely this would fuck up your knees and shins right from all this running without having a rest day?
>>1062109
>You're right though he is overdoing it.
Surly if you've worked your way up to developing the muscles and bone density for running 5 miles every day, 3 miles every day would be fine?
>>
>>968049
kick with your hips
>>
When would you start sparring considering that you train twice a week?
>>
>>1071689
As soon as possible. Sparring is where all the fun's at.
>>
>>1062973
>Sparring is just sparring, no-one should be getting stitches afterwards. especially with headgear
Anon, dear Anon, sweetly ignorant Anon. Muay Thai is a combat sport, a combat sport that allows strikes to the head, a combat sport that allows knees and elbows to the face. Headgear often doesn't protect every single square inch of the face, and athletes are bashing each other's heads with multiple high speed strikes. An injury is inevitable, especially a bloody one from an elbow or knee.
>>
>>1054919
>my coach said I had to match them at 100% or they see this as an invitation.
While in combat, many opponents may not focus as much on defense when you're lacking offence. When they're not focusing on defense as much, they may focus more on offence.
>>
>>1061858
>stay within kicking range then go for cliches.
It seems like you have a bias towards clinching, and reducing Anon's strategy and game plan options based on that bias.
>>
>>1071727
clinching itself is a huge multifaceted avenue of attack and defense,it doesn't reduce his game plan or strategy but rather direction toward a whole aspect of game planning, what type of clinching?

knee and elbow attack?
Defensive then resetting to fight in the pocket?
using dumps and sweeps ?
dump into cheap shot staggers?

I think you're bias shows an ignorance toward an entire branch of MT.
>>
>>1071733
>it doesn't redce his game plan or strategy
You gave him two options, and both of the options are 50% clinching.

>I think your bias shows an ignorance toward an entire branch of MT
I think you just got triggered without being able to finish reading the post, and you therefore assumed the post was saying things that it wasn't saying.
>>
Muay Thai?
>>
>>1074832
Hell yeah!
>>
File: dsc_6921_800x532_1.jpg (30KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
dsc_6921_800x532_1.jpg
30KB, 600x600px
I've bought two pairs of these yokkao shin pads, and each time within the first couple times using them, one of the foot straps has broken. Has anyone had a similar experience? I thought the first time it may have just been a coincidence but it happened with both pairs.
>>
>>1075348
Complain to them, they just might send you another pair for free.
>>
Any cool fights to see?
>>
>>1071727
>doing muay thai
>not clinching all day every day
Might as well tell a boxer to not jab, or tell a jiujiteiro to not use guard.
>>
File: nt-c900-pro-cushioning-255x239.gif (23KB, 255x239px) Image search: [Google]
nt-c900-pro-cushioning-255x239.gif
23KB, 255x239px
>>1062101
>Surely this would fuck up your knees and shins
>>1062109
>The problem isn't the distance but the surface and running form

Cushioned tread mills are your friend :^)
>>
>>1075348
I've had only great experiences with yokkao equipment but I'm still waiting for those same shin guards so I can't really comment.
>>
>>1083046
There's a difference between Box and BJJ, and Muay Thai.
With Muay Thai, you have options. Muay Thai isn't as narrow of a sport as Boxing or BJJ.

You might as well be a Judoka if you want to clinch all day.
You might as well be a Boxer if you want to Punch all day.
You might as well be a Taekwondo practitioner if you want to kick all day.
You might as well not have forearms if you want to elbow all day.

There's more to Muay Thai than clinching and roundhouse kicks.
>>
>>1083106
you really know shit about nothing
even with judo there are guys that specialize in certain throw types or are ground fighters

same with boxing

same with TKD

there's nothing wrong with clinching and roundhouse kicks, but to make your shit analogue doesnt work

also for the west and euro countries the clinch has something underdeveloped so there is a HUGE void in high level clinch specialist outside of France and Thailand
>>
>>1083124
>you really know shit about nothing
Whatever you need to tell yourself to help you sleep at night.
>>
>>1083221
being this mad
keku
way to be trigger m8
>>
File: 562.jpg (32KB, 400x494px) Image search: [Google]
562.jpg
32KB, 400x494px
>>1083224
>mad
pic related
>>
File: mt.jpg (40KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
mt.jpg
40KB, 600x400px
http://www.tigermuaythai.com/national-muay-thai-day

Happy muay thai day anons
>>
File: Muay Thai Lore.jpg (253KB, 674x1108px) Image search: [Google]
Muay Thai Lore.jpg
253KB, 674x1108px
>>1083827
>http://www.tigermuaythai.com/national-muay-thai-day
>>
Anyone know where to find complete K1 events online? I can find a lot of the newer ones online easy but never any of the old ones.
>>
>>1071723
You take one too many hits to the head or something? You're supposed to go light when sparring, not slam blows in full force.
>>
It seems like in every MT fight there's a point where they're standing at close range and just pounding hooks and elbows and knees into each other.

Why do they stay and fight at such a close range? That just seems like asking for it to turn into a test of who can take more punishment. It seems to me the smart thing would be to break away at your first opportunity and keep your distance.
>>
>>1090091
MT is just mindless hitting. you're right its a macho contest to see who can hurt the other more. boxing is more refine and has more tactic and thinking.
>>
>>1087106
medvedav100 on youtube has a few
>>
>>1090091
Have you seen Kyokushin Karate?
>>
>>1090091
>It seems to me the smart thing would be to break away at your first opportunity and keep your distance.

Yes, it would be the smart thing but that's the point of holding your opponent in a clinch, so that they can't escape the barrage of knees and elbows. You'd likely see it a lot in boxing if clinching were legal.
>>
>>1090098
>MT is just mindless hitting.
Your ignorance is showing.
>>
>>1090091
>It seems to me the smart thing would be to break away at your first opportunity and keep your distance.
The smart thing to do is to use different parts of fighting for different circumstances.
>>
>>1091185
>Your ignorance is showing.
Your ignorance is showing.
Muay Thai, compared to the science of Olympic Tae Kwon Do, is very weak.
Olympic Tae Kwon Do, besides being an athlete, is all about advanced strategies and tactics.
>>
>>1090098
>>1091565

Why do I feel like this is a false flag attack to make boxing and TKD practitioners look like idiots?
Oh well, let the shitstorm beginn..

But just in case you aren't trolling, comparing TKD and Mauy Thai is like appes and oranges.

The olympic TKD you praised so much is something like three 90-second rounds. Basically you go in, try to hit the 540 degrees uber double counter combo and either the other guy is dead or you get at least some points.

MT on the other hand has many rounds. It's much more about wearing the other guy down.

So either we can be stupid:
The Thai Boxers looking down on the "wimpy" TKD guys that can't even take 5 lowkicks and a few punches - and the TKD guys looking down on the Thai boxers with their "gross motor skills" who can't even into the tornado kick.

OR we could respect each other and learn from each other, the TKD guys could need some more toughness and better punching skills, the Thai Guys could need some more advanced and fancy kicks.
>>
Its not even false flagging, it's straight up bating and pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>1092793
this is probably the easiest board to bait. idk why but people here are so dumb.
>>
>>1097167
this is 4chan you cuk its meant to be lulz and troll troll tri
>>
File: 01f.jpg (335KB, 676x485px) Image search: [Google]
01f.jpg
335KB, 676x485px
>>1097167
>>
Alright guys, question for ya. Might upset some, but please bear with me.
I've been lifitng for two years, made some good progress. Unfortunately I got somewhat bored/annoyed of it and want to transition into muay thai as my regular sports activity. Did it for a few months a year ago and enjoyed it very much, but had to stop because reasons.
I'd do both, but can't really find the time for it so the choice has to be made.
The question: Is practicing muay thai enough to keep a healthy, somewhat athletic physique, or will I forever loose my gains?
>>
>>1097385
>or will I forever loose my gains?
I think most Muay Thai places include physical conditioning in their regime.
If they just expect you to exercise on your own time, Muay Thai is just some cardio that also has some muscle endurance thrown in.

Gains are overrated, anyway.
>>
>>1097385
Gains or fun.
Chose one.
>>
>>1097837
>>1097871
Calling them gains was probably an overstatement. I am pretty much dyel by /fit/ standards, so think of me as somewhat over ottermode.
My main concern is that I've been a skeleton all my life, but look like a real human being atm and would like to stay that way, but I'm lanky af with a strong metabolism.
>>
>>1040228
>I don't think my ego could handle being beaten up by a bunch of teenagers.
Old post but get the fuck over yourself. You don't train and trained fighters will kick your ass, that's how it works. If you're worried about your fragile little ego getting damaged, maybe you should mature up a little bit more before starting any martial art.
>>
So I've done Sanda for a year and I'm currently doing MMA for the next few months. I've always been interested in MT and my question is: how is the transition from Sanda/boxing to MT? Since I'll have to learn a whole new stance, I feel like this is gonna be a bit confusing.
Thread posts: 267
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.