[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kung Fu VS Karate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: truths.png (1MB, 1176x748px) Image search: [Google]
truths.png
1MB, 1176x748px
Any truth to this movie? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMW8RjyF_U4 If you have not seen it a Chinese man has been married to a Japanese woman since birth. Once they are married culture shock kicks in. They both practice fighting styles of their countries. The movie goes on to show that Chinese style / weapons / training are far superior. Is there any truth to that?
>>
>>893037
Both are shit
Pro Wrestling is the best fighting style
>>
File: tumblr_n8ht4qk1dn1sdqajoo1_400.gif (2MB, 380x253px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8ht4qk1dn1sdqajoo1_400.gif
2MB, 380x253px
>>893041
I am exposed as not being an /asp/ie but instead a wrestling fan! I am still curious to the truth of this movie.
>>
I think you're just memeing but no. Japanese training methods, by and large, tend to focus on rigorous training between two individuals. Constantly testing out and refining techniques in a realistic environment.

Kung fu by contrast uses a lot of forms and static, one man training. It's shit.

That doesn't mean Japanese martial arts don't contain bullshit, like aikido or whatever that ninjer shit is called. But when you compare Seido karate or Judo to Shaolin kung fu the difference in methodology is obvious.

Of note is that when the Chinese drop the flowery hokum and spar, like they do in Sanshou, you get a realistic and practical art. Go figure.
>>
>>893078
Thanks, also no meming my friend I was actually wondering about this movie in particular. Shoalin Challenges Ninja. The movie like I said shows how Chinese beats Japanese. They go threw weapons, stances, everything. And Chinese beats Japanese every time. Is this movie just propaganda I guess is what I am asking.
>>
>>893113
>asks if a 1979 kung fu movie is propaganda
>believes this might be a realistic depiction of both chinese and japanese martial arts

how old are you
>>
>>893113
Very likely it is. The Chinese government not only aids in producing propaganda like this but the people eat it up.

Kung fu is a particular sore spot for the Chinese due to how badly the traditionalists get their asses kicked in open tournaments.
>>
>>893078
>Japanese training methods, by and large, tend to focus on rigorous training between two individuals. Constantly testing out and refining techniques in a realistic environment.

Katas were the standard form of training karate for most of its history, and lots of people that are known for practicing the kind of training you're talking about (Mas Oyama, Machida) consistently talk about how katas are the most important thing in karate.

For most of their history, Chinese and Japanese arts were basically trained the same. Judo is were that started to change. I guess you could argue that Chinese stuff has a habit of having more useless,flowery stuff, but that doesn't necessarily mean the training would be worse than doing katas. In a match between an average kung fu practitioner and a karate guy trained mostly with katas, I don't really think it would be easy to say who would win.
>>
>>893179
I'm speaking very broadly of course. I know there are Koryu schools that still do lots of kata and don't train with "aliveness" but when it comes to the popular, modern variants. Judo and the various hard karate schools. Forms have very much taken a backseat or are abandoned completely. I'm personally not sold on the importance of kata but who knows.
>>
>>893179
>and lots of people that are known for practicing the kind of training you're talking about (Mas Oyama, Machida) consistently talk about how katas are the most important thing in karate.
what?
>>
>>893417
I think it's still probably the case with most karate, though. Karate is a very popular art, and the harder styles are still a minority. There's a reason the standard qualifier for karate is "kyokushin and offshoots." Most types of karate that you'd encounter today (and most jujitsu that isn't judo or Brazillian, for that matter) aren't trained very effectively and rely mostly on katas and light contact sparring. Kung fu only has a worse reputation because it didn't really have a judo/kyo equivalent until pretty recently. The truth is, most people doing karate today probably still train in those ineffective ways, and wouldn't have any advantage over a CMA guy in training.
>>
>>893457
Agreed, I was under the impression that karate McDojos were a distinctly American phenomenon and that harder styles would be more popular in Japan but perhaps not.
>>
>>893440
http://uskyokushin.com/kata.htm

That's the easiest like I've seen for Oyama, but I've also seen other quotes from him saying things like katas held the true meaning of karate, and that someone is only a real fighter if they know katas. As for Machida, in one of his karate instruction videos I saw linked here before, there was a section on katas, and he said something like "katas are the true part of karate. They're rehearsed fight, and memorizing them will give you the muscle memory you need in an actual fight." I couldn't find a link quickly, but like I said, it's been linked here before.
>>
>>893457
Chinese martial arts also have a worse reputation because of their relative isolationism, greater refusal to crosstrain because "muh school" even though many styles have cross-training origins, the focus on performance wushu as a way to enter competitions and gain students and money, love of bullshit even in relatively serious schools such as promoting themselves as some ancient secret shit trying to perpetuate the myths that surround martial arts and the general refusal from a vast majority of the community to put up or shut up.
>>
>>893037
>Any truth to this movie?
>truth
>movie

It's Chinese propaganda about how glorious kung-fu is best. Karate never wins in Chinese movies, Chinese and Japanese hate each other.

When I was a kid I seriously thought kung-fu was unbeatable because I watched so many movies, but after practicing both I can honestly say that they would both lose to a decent grappler.

Obviously it depends on the skill of the fighter.
>>
>>893037

Sorry to tell you, but whenever Kung Fu guys were fightig (full contact) Karateka, they got their ass handed..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNCO6pmuHNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaCZ3amOm_U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHnEh27L9Jo
>>
>>894847
This and

>>893485

This

Chinese Martial Arts for the most part are too watered down and taught to preserve the form, not test for efficacy. Find me a school that spars regularly, has a teacher that constantly works to fix and tweak technique/fighting strategy, and crosstrains. Those are the ones you want to go to. Compliant drilling and forms only gets you so far and neither really prepare you for a fight.
>>
>>894885
As an addendum, when you find one of these schools, chances are it will not look at all like what it's typically believed "kung fu" looks like or should look like. That's because the distinctive chinese martial arts look is typically defined by forms and performance wushu meant to be fanciful rather than practical. When it comes down to practical fighting, you wind up with kickboxing, wrestling (standup rather than ground) and joint locks.
>>
File: 1362504983246.jpg (672KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1362504983246.jpg
672KB, 500x500px
>>895028
>mfw all I want to do is train in effective full-contact martial arts while occasionally banging gongs, burning incense, meditating and dressing in robes just for fun.
>>
>>895098
Do Wushu for fun and train something practical for fightan. You can meditate and burn incense in your own time, no one's stopping you.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.