[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Muay Thai General - /mtg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 11

File: thai-gomito2.jpg (135KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
thai-gomito2.jpg
135KB, 500x707px
No muay thai thread? Muay thai thread.

I ve been practising thai for 3 months. I m still getting the hang of it but i m really enjoying it so far. I ve done karate back in my teens but it was too rigid, i like how thai is more fluid and fast but maybe it s just my impression.
I d like to have some question answered thoug. I m working on my guard stance but i m having trouble sticking to the principles of it like keeping my eyes opened, don t turn my torso when being hit, etc. and generally i ve got a weak defence. How can i improve it? Any advice?
>>
>muay thi
>not the superior art: Taekwondo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPNoGhdhKyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaowBGf-j50
>>
>>892557
I m not really into comparing martial arts. I started thai instead of taekwondo because it thought it was more keen to my way of moving and also because i like to use my elbows,knees and punches more than i like to use kicks. I dont have a deep knowledge of taekwondo so i could be wrong
>>
>>892557
this tkd is better than muay thai meme needs to stop
>>
>>892568
But it is better.
We (should) all know that martial artists just need to be exposed to other arts in training to be able to use what they've learned in their arts against other things.

Taekwondo is no exception.
By training against what's coming from Muay Thai, Taekwondo attack and defense beats Muay Thai 8/10 times.

Here're the reasons why:
Kicking range.
Taekwondo's kicks have more range than Muay Thai's roundhouse kick and front kick, as well as their variants.

The defenses for Taekwondo's kicks work against all other strikes, the practitioner just needs to adjust to dealing with things other than kicks and punches strong enough to qualify for points.
Just like out-boxers keep in range, Taekwondo practitioners would do best staying in kicking range against Muay Thai fighters.

After that, it's all down to who has the better combination of speed, power, reaction time, reflexes, and timing.
So if two people of the same speed, power, reaction time, reflexes, and timing, were to battle, the Taekwondo practitioner would win a majority of the time.
>>
>>892568
>>892610
Just look at McGregor vs Aldo.

>Timing beats speed
>Precision beats power
UFC Champion: Connor McGregor.

Just 13 seconds, and 1 punch.
All because McGregor got to him first.

When you have longer range, like with Taekwondo, all you need is to get to him first.

Taekwondo is the superior art, if you as a fighter are equal to or are superior to your opponent.

http://www.squawka.com/news/precision-beats-power-timing-beats-speed-how-conor-mcgregor-explains-footballs-counter-press/546447

Just like how Kickboxing is superior to Boxing.

I don't have that one gif, but here's a screencap of the description, and the video provides an example while explaining why Kickboxing is superior to Boxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0
>>
>>892614
>>892610
>>892568
>>892557
I really think we are going off topic here guys
>>
File: Leg Kick TKO.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
Leg Kick TKO.gif
1MB, 260x146px
>>892619
Okay.

The guy in
>>892614
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0
Isn't only a Kickboxing champion, but he's a Muay Thai champion, too.
But they were only allowed to use Kickboxing techniques.
The world and national Boxing champion wasn't allowed to kick, but he was allowed to defend against kicks.
He chose to wear Boxing shoes, which made him unallowed to kick.
The shoes gave him better mobility in the ring.

If you look at the Kickboxing and Muay Thai world champion, he's really just kicking the Boxer's ass with modified Muay Thai, throwing leg kicks until the Boxer couldn't walk.

Really, the Kickboxer and Muay Thai fighter is just setting up kicks with punch feints and fakes.
So really, he's just kicking.
So really, he beat a Boxers ass with TAEKWONDO!
>>
>>892614
>Striking Analyst Respected by Professional Fighters.jpg

>several boxers have stepped up to the challenge, and the results are mostly the same.
>Boxers got their asses kicked by Kickboxers

I'd bet Boxers would do even worst against Muay Thai fighters.

I have my respect for all arts, Muay Thai especially, but it's also the reason why Muay Thai isn't as good as Taekwondo.
>>
File: make_your_choice.jpg (79KB, 736x742px) Image search: [Google]
make_your_choice.jpg
79KB, 736x742px
>>892553

Hey OP, congratulations! You picked one of the best fighting styles out there. Don't let the usuall trolls of /asp/ get you down.

>i m having trouble sticking to the principles of it like keeping my eyes opened

You see, flinching and closing your eyes are actually good reflexes, lower the damage you take if something hits you. Nobody "stops" doing this, but if you get better you get a finer perception of what is going to hit you and what not.
For example: when someone gets his first strike thrown at him, he can't react very good and thinks it's a bad experience. After some strikes he finds out that it's not so bad if you just have a proper guard, and he might find out that he has more time to react than he think he does..

The key is to not be afraid of the other guy's strike. Try to embrace it, use a "common, fuck yeah, hit me if you can!" attitude. It's just a game, it's Maya.

If you manage to do this you can act instead of reacting, you can play instead of getting played.

>>892557
>>892610

You know pretty darn well that most TKD fighters get BTFO by Nak Muay. They got not head punches and no clinching. So just stop.

And that little bit "more kicking range" and "muh 10,000 counters" mean very little against the strong and simple MT combinations. That's why boxing kicks Wing Chun in 98/100 fights: Simplicity always beats theoretical circlejerking.

>>892646

What the...?!?!
Do you even logic?
>>
>>892553

most people telling anyone that one style is better than another don't actually do that martial art. They watch videos on youtube and talk shit.

Like this guy>>892610

He has no fucking idea what he's talking about and it's patently obvious to anyone with even rudimentary knowledge of martial arts and combat sports.
>>
This guy: >>892610 is the same retarded cunt who shitposts in boxing threads and think that watching Youtube makes him knowledgeable, just ignore it and disregard anything he says.
>>
>>892718
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
>>
>>892668
>Simplicity always beats theoretical circlejerking.
Yeah, that's why Boxers always beat MMA fighters all the time.

Boxing is so much more simple than MMA, the simplicity of Boxing always beats the complex combination of grappling and striking MMA has to offer.
>>
File: 1452654085669.jpg (43KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
1452654085669.jpg
43KB, 333x499px
>>892668
>That's why boxing
>Simplicity always beats theoretical circlejerking.

Every major sport has theoretical circlejerk.

MMA fags talk about the theoretical circlejerk all the time.

When they realize how simple BJJ, but think it's so complex, they call it "a game of chess" all the damn time.
If BJJ is "a game of chess", then the whole fucking match is a game of chess.
>>
>>892668
>Do you even logic?
You obviously don't.
>>
>>892668
>only 3 kinds of fighters
>bashing theory
>contradicting your first reply with your second reply
I should've know you were just trolling.
>>
>tfw have to wait a month or two to start going to a muay Thai gym for the first time
>has a lumpinee stadium champ as a trainer
I'm too hype and impatient pls help
>>
File: h142l.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
h142l.gif
4MB, 480x270px
I gotta give it to Muay Thai.
Boxing has the clinch, and Boxing has clinch fighting.
But Boxing doesn't devastate in the clinch like knees and elbows do.

Boxing only has hooks and uppercuts for weapons in the clinch, and that has nothing on knees and elbows.
>>
File: 6411809845_6dcb065539_b.jpg (395KB, 866x1024px) Image search: [Google]
6411809845_6dcb065539_b.jpg
395KB, 866x1024px
Taekwondo is a flashy art with some effective moves, that is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UlAh9rnkYM
>>
>>892985

No he's right. You have no arguments, you just spam your shitty opinions all the time. Please leave.

>>892992

>Yeah, that's why Boxers always beat MMA fighters all the time.

You don't get it. It's about using a few simple tools. Of course a high complexity can arise from simple elements. but if you already start complicated you ain't going nowhere.

People have a certain natural way of fighting, that's why you see punches to the face in about 100% of all street fights and you see a Pak Sao in about 0.0001 % of all street fights. The "best" movements are those which can be found in many differnt systems. If you find a certain pin in Wrestling, Judo and BJJ it's probably a useful tool. If you find a certain movement only in one style, it's probably garbage.
>>
>>893451
>says the other guy has no argument
>continues to post with no real argument
>>
File: supperior art.gif (1014KB, 475x202px) Image search: [Google]
supperior art.gif
1014KB, 475x202px
Have you not heard about Wing Chun?
It is in fact the best martial art.
>>
So, does anyone have a good home routine to strenghten your muscles and imrpove your hand/foot work between gym trainings?
>>
This is a good thread.
>>
>>894590
I suggest doing push up variations, squats, pull ups + chin ups if you have a bar and ofc. shadowboxing.

Pull ups + chin ups are a game changer, your attacks get much more powerful and fast after doing those.
>>
File: 1440189672770.jpg (65KB, 509x361px) Image search: [Google]
1440189672770.jpg
65KB, 509x361px
>>892610
Actually the longest kick is the muay thai side kick. It is longer and faster than the TKD side kick as it strikes with the ball of the foot instead of the heal, and doesn't require chambering.

If you want to see its expert use, look no further than the best ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd5leBJ_zTM

So how would a TKD guy deal with someone kicking them faster and at a longer range than they are used to? Especially when all the can do is kick?

>mfw the Taekwondookie is BTFO by his own uninformed argument
>>
>>895951
The step, jumping, jumping and spinning, all add more range.
>>
File: Bv9kAeVIEAM_FKH[1].jpg (36KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Bv9kAeVIEAM_FKH[1].jpg
36KB, 600x450px
>>895982
You can step and jump in with the MT version. Stay mad pleb.

Let me talk about Savate which is a far better kicking style than TKD with all the kicks, but also actual boxing.

AND

Stupid Sexy Flander's outfits instead of silly knock off Korean gi
>>
I think muy thai is better than tae kon do
>>
>>896012
So does everyone I know who has done both.
>>
I think modern Muay Thai is better than Traditional Muay Thai.
>>
>>895951
>>895996
That's modern Muay Thai, you pleb.

With traditional Muay Thai, all you got is the front kick and the roundhouse.

>not even knowing about the art you're supporting

Savate is cool, but it's just too French.
>>
>>895996
Savate has the exact same kicks as Taekwondo, but there're some different variations because you wear boots.
>>
>>896032
Yes, I said that in my post. Thanks for repeating me.

>>896027
Nope
>>
>>896045
>Nope
Yup.
Stay mad.
>>
>>896045
>>896091

So.. you guys are arguing about minor historical details? Never change, /asp/..
>>
I like muay thai tradionts thoug. it s a shame it has become a sport more "just fighting" oriented like MMA. There s a lot more to it but a lot of people doesn t seem to notice it
>>
>>896914
i think you should keep a more open mind about just a "sport" the history behind the sport figures, the legends that changed the rules or how the stadiums were establish are just as captivating.
>>
>>892568
But WWE fags really believe its better cause WWE autism.
>>
>>892668
>simple combinations blows out counter-fighters
>all the dominant counter-fighters in Boxing is just flukes
>all the dominant counter-fighters in K-1 means nothing
>all the countering in MMA means nothing

>You just need to throw combinations and nobody can counter you
>>
>>896929
you are probably right. I ve always thought a martial art to be more of a school both for your boy and your mind so i ve always given more importance to discipline, techniques, history, etc. than the real hand-on fighting functionality of it. I'll start to pay more attention to other aspects i' ve always ignored, from now on
>>
Hello anons

I would just like to ask, in terms of punching power, speed and technique who does it better? MT or Box?

just punching
>>
>>899264
boxing
>>
>>893493
holy fucking autism
>>
>>892610
bro do you even do MA?
fuck off with your half assed knowledge
>>
>>899394
>fuck off with your half assed knowledge
Says the guy with half assed knowledge.
>>
How do you tell a good MT club from a bad one.

Mine doesn't spend too long on each drill and there's very little technical advice going on. Is this normal. Are ring sports more a learn from experience culture?
>>
>>899477

Pretty much. If you're really fucking up somebody will say something. If you're kinda getting it but awkward, that's nothing time won't fix.

It doesn't help you to be trying to do something and try to mentally search through 5,000 words of verbal advice about it at the same time.
>>
>>899532
>It doesn't help you to be trying to do something and try to mentally search through 5,000 words of verbal advice about it at the same time.

What do you mean by this?
It's starting to seem like you just don't know anything about psychology.
>>
>>899648
He means that you get simple explanations so you can get the basic movement done by hunch. Then you start practising and feel what you could do to give more precision, power, etc. to your movement and with time you ll perfect it little by little.
If the trainer gives you a perfect and detailed explanation from the get go you ll focus on too many details and you ll be focused on too many things than actually doing it naturally.
When i start doing a new technique i correct every mistake one at the time and little by little so that my body can remember it better on the long run
>>
>>892668
>wait for the opponent to make a mistake
>get knocked down after 5 seconds of blocking his hits
>everyone calls me a fag who can't fight for shit
>>
>>899648

The fuck does psychology have to do with it? Practicing physical activities until you get them right beats listening to hours of jibber jabber and then trying to remember all of that jibber jabber when you're doing the physical activity.
>>
>>899836

Watch Aldo vs. McGregor (or pretty much everthing from Saenchai), then you know what a perfect counter is.

>>899715

This. I really hate it when older students try to give explanations to newbies. Beginners can't process thousands of informations at the same time ("no your feet" no your hand! no, faster!"), it just makes you feel like shit and isn't of any help. But I do feel that some informations help but only maybe one thing per training lesson or less. People need to make their own mistakes in order to learn.
>>
>>900250
>The fuck does psychology have to do with it?
Learning and memory has everything to do with psychology.
Learning and memorizing martial arts is very included.

Please, educate yourself before you form opinions.
>>
>>900269
i m sorry to butt in but i guess you are the one that should inform yourself.
Implicit memory is the physiological term for the pattern your body learns through repetitions, like riding a bycicle.
Like the name implies, it is implicit and not just "subconscious", like part of the explicit memory (facts, events, concepts,...) is.
It is made in this way to enable your body to properly function without having to think about every movement every time. It enables you to move by instinct. So it must be completly detached by any conscious and subconscious higher mental process, and so, by psychology itself.
That s the same reason why you have an hard time to learn how to move properly doing something you ve never done before. Because it s not something you can focus on to learn, like you do when you study, you have to repeat the same movement over and over again to make it carved into your body and to be able to react as a martial artist to events where other people would move in sloppy ways.
>>
>>900250
>>900363

I think you faggots need to learn how to fucking read.

>>899648
>asks what he means by that
>says SEEMS
>SEEMS
FUCKING SEEMS

>>899648
Hasn't started fucking arguing about jack shit.

You fuckers are fucking assuming that he's arguing some bullshit that he didn't say.
Learn how to fucking read, you delusional ass fucktards.
>>
>>900250
>this bullshit
Holy fucking shit, how can some people be so mother fucking stupid?
Holy Mother Mary's dick.
What the fuck.
What the Christ's titties.
What the fucking Lord's pubic hair.
>>
>>900363
You fucking delusional ass mother fucker. What the fuck were you doing all of middle school?

>typing all that fucking bullshit
What the fuck is this shit?

>spouting all that bullshit from delusion
Fucking shit nipples, what the fuck.

LEARN HOW TO FUCKING READ.
>>
FUCK EVERY SINGLE LAST ONE OF YOU MOTHER FUCKERS!
>>
>>900570
adding fuck to all of your comments really proved your point, now i m 100% sure i was wrong and you are legit af
>>
>>900570

He wasn't learning how to juggle or something by reading descriptions of how to do it.

I won't know about you, but I was learning how to play trombone and trumpet by playing them, learning how to type by typing, learning how to play basketball by playing.

I learned academic things like math and grammar by explicitly being told the rules because those are mental activities that are literally nothing but following rules.

Were you jacked into the Matrix in middle school having your skills uploaded?
>>
>>900541
>>900553
>>900570
>>900579
this guy went full retard, wow go back to /b/
>>
What do you guys think of Muay Thai from a striking perspective?

What is your stance on Muay Thai if there was no grappling?
>>
>>919822

>What is your stance on Muay Thai if there was no grappling?

How would you throw lowkicks if you had only one leg?

If you hav 4 arms, would you use ellbows and punches at the same time?

If you fought in zero gravity, how would you gain momentum for kicks?

Anon, it's not that difficult. Just insert fist into opponent and repeat if necessary.
>>
>>920231
What are you trying to imply here?
>>
>>920235

That it's somehow misleading to play "What if" games here, because a fighting system is not only a bunch of techniques, it's also about stuff like how you can go from punching into clinching or how to use ellbows from the clinch. You can't just say "ignore that I could do this", because some techniques make only sense because you know the other guy can do this or that.
>>
>>920277
>some techniques make only sense because you know the other guy can do this or that.
Now you're starting to get it.
>>
>>920311

Getting what?
You were asking some questions, not me.
>>
>mfw when Im learning Muay Thai from a teacher who also knows taekwondo and karate

I respect other martial arts, it's not about which one is better, is about how skilled you are and how you use it.
>>
Muay Thai is Thai Sanshou/Sanda.
>>
>>923356
Is it modern Muay Thai that already has intergrated Western Boxing?

Because you've got some good, well rounded striking with that kind of Muay Thai.

>western Boxing for punches
>Muay Thai for knees and elbows
>Karate and Taekwondo for kicks
>all blended together for efficient Kickboxing, not just forcing narrow minded Boxing to work in Kickboxing + clinch knees and elbows
>>
>>923359
I sincerely don't know
It's the first time I practice martials arts and can't identify styles yet

But yes, we do have "Boxing lessons" something so I guess is some kind of modern or non-traditional style
>>
>>923391
Sometimes*
>>
>>923359
kick in muay thai are different from taekwondo and karate. You don t make your leg turn around your knee in thai, it s your hip that turns, your leg remains rigid while a little bended
>>
Muay Thai > Boxing

Boxing < Muay Thai
>>
>>927867
cross train. get the best of both worlds.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.