[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I used to do MMA, a self defense system made by a teacher of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: martial-arts.jpg (17KB, 389x421px) Image search: [Google]
martial-arts.jpg
17KB, 389x421px
I used to do MMA, a self defense system made by a teacher of mine that mixed ju-jitsu, boxing, aikido, taek-wondo, karate, judo, and other shits. He would also teach me how to take care of someone trying to slash you with a knife and people trying to charge you with batons or people aiming at you with handguns. Shit was rad and i learnt a lot. However, i decided to stop, and i am here to take advise on that.

One of the reasons why i decided to stop was because i felt that i was not improving anymore. Does anyone that did any kind of martial art felt that? that after doing the same shit over and over and over again you feel like if you are wasting time? ive never really had to fight someone ever since i learnt martial arts so i was never confident about my combat skills, that was partially why i felt that everything i was doing was completely pointless.

Another reason why i decided to stop, and this one is the real problem, is that sometimes i just feel like being violent, like if i WANT to pick a fight with someone just because, like if i WANT to fight and hurt someone else. Call me edgy, but my issue was that the more i was learning the more i wanted to use what i learnt on someone else. Is this a common problem? am i a fucking psycho? is it just something that will go away if i keep practicing or what?

Sorry if i am not used to the slang of this board, this is the first time i go here.
>>
He may have taught you how to do it, but to determine whether or not you can do it, you have to actually do it, in sparring, or in self defense.

It's possible to do really difficult shit, be making a hoop from across the whole court, those things football players do in those self promotional commercial things, being an undisputed Kickboxing champion or MMA champion, hitting someone with a flashy Taekwondo Kick, or pulling off some aikido technique.
But it takes skill, which takes practice, all kinds of practice.
Not just technique, not just drills, not just sparring, but a lot of it.

So, how often did you guys spar, and how often did you guys try to use the techniques you were taught?
>>
>>886504
>One of the reasons why i decided to stop was because i felt that i was not improving anymore.
It's one thing to stimulate the reward centers of your brain, tracking your improvement, noticing the big difference.

It's another to actually dedicate yourself to something, even if it means doing hard work.
>>
>>886934
We usually fight the other quite often, Ive practiced for 2 years, and our teacher used to force us to do the same move over and over and over again. Usually 20 of all kicks per leg, had to do it timed with him (he was late 40's but he was fucking quick, strong, and still good lookng) or he would punish us.

That's the problem ive had tho. Whenever we would mock-fight, it was done with protective shit, timed, never to the head, etc.

I never found out, and i still dont know, how big or small my chances are of using what he thaught me to break a bone or knock someone out. That's what sparked my interest in just having a street brawl, to know that there is no need to limit myself there, to know that i could truly see how strong and good i am. But there was never an opportunity, and i began to lose confidence. Is it really that common for this to happen?
>>
>>886504
>ive never really had to fight someone ever since i learnt martial arts so i was never confident about my combat skills, that was partially why i felt that everything i was doing was completely pointless.
It's 2016.
Martial Arts is for self development and entertainment.
Martial arts is like soccer, tennis, gymnastics, golf, and ballet.

Unless you live in a shitty neighborhood, you choose to do things that would put you in situations where it would be in your best interest to defend yourself, or you're involved with certain kinds of people.
>>
>>887006
Okay, I just wanted to know whether or not it was a McDojo.
It's not a McDojo.

You've got at least decent skills.
>>
>>887019
I honestly began doing martial arts because i wanted to know what the fuck big boss was doing in MGS 3. From that point i began to enjoy learning boxing, and call me gullible, but whenever i see a rocky movie or something inspiring, no matter how immature it might sound, it made me remember what was so great about martial arts.
>>
>>887006
>But there was never an opportunity, and i began to lose confidence.
You could try competing in MMA.
It's not as thrilling and adventurous as a street fight, but it's still entertaining.

Maybe you could fight Goju Guy or Florida Guy if you really have to use your 2deadly techniques.
There's nothing like kicking someone in the balls, it's like varying levels of TKO because of variation in balls sensitivity.
>>
>>887034
No fucking clue what McDojo is (i have an idea about what it might be, tho).

Yeah, "ive got decent skills" is what my teacher also told me, even if being a green belt in that place meant 4 times more than being a green belt in taek-won-do (i used to do it when i was like 7, got to yellow belt. I still think its one of the most fake martial arts ever) But regardless, i was still behind the other guy with me that did martial arts (Fucker also went to the gym, he was ellastic as fuck while i was strong and heavy) and that made me feel, again, that all i was doing from that point on was pointless.
>>
>>887048
Nothing wrong with that, m8.
>>
>>887069
>You could try competing in MMA.
Ive never had the balls to compete in that. Ive never really got interested into doing martial arts in a competitive way, unless it was boxing, to wich i still wonder if i should do it. However, at that point my problem with me wanting to hurt others just due to my adrenaline is what really makes me worry about it.
>>
>>886504
>Call me edgy
Nah, I want to fight, too.
I'm an unhappy person, though.

>am I a fucking psycho
I heard that there're psychology lectures covering a whole courses on YouTube these days.
>>
>>887094
Yeah, maybe i am just scared, but i compare myself to people that end up beating their wives or family just because they box or something like that. I REALLY dont want to learn martial arts if it will make me more angry and prone to fight people for no reason. It scares me away from ever learning any martial art again.
>>
What i really want to get going with this thread is if there is anyone with experience in martial arts or who knows people in martial arts who knows more about the subject of becoming more and more violent the more you learn about martial arts. I want to know if this is something that i will be permanently stuck with, something i can just fix, or something that i can deal with.
>>
>>887806
If you're new here, everything that isn't ProWrestling is slow, this used to be a slow board before they showed up.
>>
>>886504
It sounds like you got sucked into some bull shit.
A real martial art would have you sparring/fighting/competing often enough and hard enough that there would be no doubt in your mind about your skills or lack there-of, and it has a way of keeping you humble, and wanting to avoid real life confrontation. Also, the only defence against a knife is to run. The only defence against a gun is to just give the guy your damn wallet. Your teacher doesn't have your best interests at heart, he only worries about his bank balance. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.
>>
>>887988
The fucking guy was my neighboor, a friend, and he made it very clear that the first defense against someone armed is submission, the second running away, and the third one confrontation. You are making baseless assumptions out of your ass.

We mock-fighted almost every class, almost every week. But since the intention was never to hurt the other i grew doubtful about my abilities.
>>
>>887988
Way to read the thread before shitposting, faggot.
>>
>>888020
Are you new to 4chan?
>>
>>887988

Quite seriously it's not the only way to deal with a knife though I agree that it is very good blanket rule to give to normalfags. Yes guns are scary, especially if they are already drawn.. I did security, either partnered or single for 4 years. I was attacked with various weapons over that time, I can happily say that I didn't suffer any serious injuries the entire time I was working. My fighting style is very heavily based on awareness of my opponent, countering, more like a boxing perspective on that sort of thing rather then a aikido's homo perspective.

The thing to keep in mind is to judge the situation on the person, not the weapon. Most people who pull a knife or syringe are skinnyfags who can't fight. One time when a skinnyfag pulled a knife on me I faked a right, grabbed his wrist with my left when he went to parry my punch with his knife(ikr, what a fag) then thigh kicked him 3 times hard. the vast majority of normal fags with a knife will concentrate on getting the knife free rather them react to the kicks because they become fixated. The second the guys knee hit the ground I extended his arm and push kicked his ribs, pulled him to the ground then dropped my knee on his arm to get him to drop the knife. honestly I wasn't overly worried about it as I have a lot of experience in both the ring and street fights, I knew this guy couldn't handle his shit, he handled himself like a weaboo cosplaying a druggy.

I'm not trying to sound like rambo here, I have had guys who can definitely scrap come at me with knives and I have talked them out of it/bluffed police support and gotten out of it ok, my point is that if you have experience it is good to think outside the box and use that experience to accurate assess the predicament you are in. It is a habit that could save your life if you come across a situation where running isn't an option, help you keep a cool head.
>>
Further to my last post, the few times I had a gun pulled on me I put my hands up and told them where the cool shit to steal is. Guns are fucked, lost a workmate to them. Don't kung fu a gun m'kay?
>>
>>888632
No
>>
>>888617
not him, but it sounds to me too that they didnt spar
>We usually fight the other quite often, Ive practiced for 2 years, and our teacher used to force us to do the same move over and over and over again. Usually 20 of all kicks per leg, had to do it timed with him
this is not sparring, its drilling with a partner
sparring has you actually fighting with the other guy the way you want but restricting yourself to not hurting the partner
>>
>>889159
>this is not sparring, its drilling with a partner
You fail to address the initial post

>>886934
>not just technique, not just drills, not just sparring, but a lot of it

>>887006
>OP: talks about the technique, drills, and sparring he's done

>>887988
>>889159
It's like y'all want the gym to be a McDojo because of muh buzz words
>aikido
>taekwondo
>karate
or I'm just taking shitposting seriously.
>>
OP, if someone's attacking you with a weapon. Your moves are gonna fail and the system's gonna fail...then, survival. Who has the ability to survive? That's the game - survive.
>>
>>887113
>but i compare myself to people that end up beating their wives or family just because they box or something like that.

People like this do not exist. Nobody becomes unreasonably agressive from training martial arts. People who beat their wives or family always were wife beaters or agressive shits, they just happen to box. The confidence gained from fighting does make you more confident, though. And if you were a pushover all your life, the confidence boost might seem to be agression.
>>
>>886504

>i just feel like being violent (...) is it just something that will go away if i keep practicing or what?

You should do you Judo. There's a lot of people with anger issues that say that Judo helped them to become more "relaxed"..
>>
>>889032

This is true, but the prbolem is if you fuck up against a knife you have problems.

I like how the dog brothers called their anti-knife programm "die less often". Or there's a saying:
If there's a winner in a knife fight you'll find him in hospital. I have two friends who were attacked with a knife, both won but ended up inhospital (some minor cuts).

So yes, it's possible to win, but it's not granted that you win. The most important part is you have to see the knife in the first place. Often guys don't even realize they got stabbed until they faint. If soemone's starting shit and you can't see their hands - assume someone is going to rush in and shank you with a knife. You have to be faster than him.
>>
>>886504
>Another reason why i decided to stop, and this one is the real problem, is that sometimes i just feel like being violent, like if i WANT to pick a fight with someone just because, like if i WANT to fight and hurt someone else. Call me edgy, but my issue was that the more i was learning the more i wanted to use what i learnt on someone else. Is this a common problem? am i a fucking psycho? is it just something that will go away if i keep practicing or what?
That's a basic element to learning new skills.
Sometimes called the Tetris Effect.

Basically, if you learn something new, you subconsciously look everywhere for applications of this new skill, because your monkey brain wants to perfect it.
I occasionally go outside and subconsciously think about how I'd assault everyone around me.

>One of the reasons why i decided to stop was because i felt that i was not improving anymore. Does anyone that did any kind of martial art felt that? that after doing the same shit over and over and over again you feel like if you are wasting time? ive never really had to fight someone ever since i learnt martial arts so i was never confident about my combat skills, that was partially why i felt that everything i was doing was completely pointless.
Your best bet is to add another martial art into the rotation. Possibly something with sparring.
Then you can integrate it into your pre-existing skills and find new ways to think about old things. Those are often quite useful revelations.

Personally I had that feeling about half a year after starting martial arts. But now it's been one year, I did a few additional arts, and I feel like I'm actually a student again in my first art. Which is funny, because I'm starting to become better at teaching people.

Oh yeah, teaching is also a good way to learn more about your art and find flaws that you didn't even know existed.
>>
>>889329
>That's the game - survive.
That's no fun, pussy.

If there's no cover and the guys got 50ft on you, then you consider leaving.
>>
ill try to see if i can get into judo next time. But i am really wondering if me getting a little bit too agressive when learning to fight is something thats just gonna go away
>>
>>888020
>mock-fighted almost every class, almost every week

So you're saying you had class less often than once a week? Wow. Hardcore.

Tell us more about it. How scripted was it? Did you have predefined roles?
>>
>>890540
No. We had one class per week. 90 minutes. we didn't fought every class because there were no autistic students like you asking for it.
>>
>>890545

Uh-huh.

If you were on a basketball team and you didn't play basketball every practice you'd be okay with that, right?

Anyway, tell us about that sparring. Did you have defined roles?
>>
>>890562
Except that basketball training its not 100% mock-matches (ive done it, my cousin done it, he confirms).

No defined roles. Teacher would tell me and the other guy to just put on boxing gloves, no hits to the head, and try to fuck up the other guy ASAP.
>>
>>889036
>Don't kung fu a gun m'kay?
Pussy.
>>
Either this is true:

>>890567
>try to fuck up the other guy ASAP

or this is true:

>>888020
>But since the intention was never to hurt the other

They are both not true.

Were you playing tag or were you fighting? It doesn't matter really because after those two posts nobody will believe anything you say.
>>
>>890639
"The intention was never to hurt the other" means that the point of the excersise was to never send the other guy FUBAR, and the fight would stop whenever one of us couldn't take anymore, that doesn't mean we would just surrender the moment we felt a hit tho.

I dont really fucking care if you believe what i say or not, i am here asking for advise, i am not trying to tell a story
>>
>>890562
i miss basketball.
>>
>>890643
Sounds to me like your teacher was retarded and made you participate in the equivalent of bum fights.

You guys were apparently taught judo and aikido principles yet were forced to wear boxing gloves.

You "mock-fighted" (is sparring not a word in your language?) without any other protection and banned strikes to the head.

Despite having essential no rules outside of "don't maim your opponent," you STILL feel like you stopped improving AND the have urge to pick fights.

All that tells me is your teacher sucked at his job, since no one comes out of sparring without a laundry list of things to fix or work on, and he taught you a bunch of bullshit.

Go find a boxing/muay thai/kickboxing/bjj/mma gym with a mouthguard and that attitude. Trust me, it'll work out.
>>
>>890753
We were thaught that boxing and kickboxing were the prime of hand-to-hand combat against someone in the same situation than yours. I later learned he wasn't wrong. He mostly did focus on teaching boxing. I already said all of this, but since you are so focused on trying to tell me i've been teach shit you seem to have forgotten how to read.
>>
>>890763
>Go find a boxing/muay thai/kickboxing/bjj/mma gym with a mouthguard and that attitude. Trust me, it'll work out.
>>
>>890775
>let me repeat what i said in hopes that you will agree with me
>>
File: 1452881882538.jpg (95KB, 680x989px) Image search: [Google]
1452881882538.jpg
95KB, 680x989px
>>890763
You're falling for the b8, m8.
>>
>>890783
its not that i am taking the bait on purpose, its that i get annoyed that this guy (or is it you?) is literally shitposting about what i learnt when that has nothing to do with my original 2 questions.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.