[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/cg/ Climbing General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault.jpg (211KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
211KB, 1280x720px
What up climbers?
General Sport Climbing, Bouldering, Trad, Big Wall, Ice, etc. Climbing thread.
Talk gear, favorite crags, recent sends, gym talk, training, etc.

Anyone else hop on the REI 1 year warranty bandwagon. Used to buy my shoes online until I found out about REIs crazy return policy. Burned through a pair of solutions in 5 months, full refund, bought a brand new pair.
Basically buy one pair of shoes and blow through them within a year and automatically get a fresh pair.

Notable Recent Sends:
Gym- 2 V7 and 1 V8
Outdoor- 1 V6, 1 V8, and 1 5.11d

Been climbing under a year but have been at the gym 4 days a week since I started so I'm happy with my progression.

Also looking to get into trad climbing, picked up a set of cams and nuts. Potentially going to Indian Creek with a buddy to climb some cracks soon.

Climb on bros
>>
This is the wrestling board kid
Go climb a tree
>>
Getting psyked for some gym climbing tomorrow. Actually most psyked about climbing outside again once it gets cold/warm enough.

Also trying to break through 1½ year plateau at V7 with some structured campus/lockoff/fingerboard rotation!
>>
>>878900
Nice man, for me, breaking V7 turned out to be a huge amount of hours on my V8 projects.
Eventually, I had every move so wired that it just went one day.
Currently V9 is pretty above me but I'm making a bit of progress on some gym 9s.
>>
>>878900
Also, how many days a week do you train?
I'm thinking I'm going to have to train for real to get solid on the V9-V10 scale.
I have a hangboard but use it sporadically.
>>
V8 outdoors in under a year? Smells bullshitty, but if it's true well done. I've been going to the gym 3 days a week for 6 months since I started and I'm still barely at V4. Without exception all the people I've met at V7/V8 level in the gym have been climbing for upwards of 3+ years.
>>
>>879041
I'm a really thin guy so I started out with a good body type to begin with, didn't really have to work too hard physically.
I've also been going to the gym 4-5 days a week every single week since I started.
If you think that is good, there is a kid who started climbing around 2 months after me and he is BETTER than me. He's in high school and over the summer he came into the gym 7 days a week from opening to closing. Even after school started he still came every single day until closing. He's like 17 or something and has no life lol. He climbs the same grade range as me but will get every project way faster than I can. He also almost sent a V10 in the gym before it got stripped. That was after working it non-stop for a month though.
>>
>>879048
Also my sessions are usually around 3-5 hours long depending on the day. So I have a shitload of hours in.
I know guys in my gym who have climbed for over a year who still haven't done V6 so I understand the skepticism.
I basically got into the project mindset pretty early on (around V4-V5 or so) and started making progress really quickly.
>>
>>879048
You've avoided injury climbing 3-5 hours a day 4-5 days a week? Honestly I would climb longer and more often (1-2 hours 3 days a week right now) but I've heard it's actually detrimental to progress (muscle recovery time) and you run a high risk of injury.
>>
>>879168
depends on how long it personally takes you to recover and shit, if you're young and in crazy good shape you could probably do it ten hours a day.
>>
>>879168
The only actual injury I've ever had happened 2 days before Christmas.
I was dicking around working a few moves on the gym mega proj (estimated V11-V12).
I was doing some burly move primarily supported by my left hand on a decent open hand somewhat slopey hold.
All of the sudden I felt a sharp pain in my left flexor tendon and dropped immediately.
I couldn't climb for 2ish weeks and then light climbing after that.
Now I'm fine, back to 100% and more careful than before.
I was just being dumb climbing way out of my grade range though. Never had any trouble other than that.
>>
>>879212
Aside from injury fears, bouldering at my local gym (given it's so small) gets boring after an hour or so. It also gets very busy at times so it's sort of hard projecting anything outside of my scope (V4+).
>>
Moving to Bishop in a few weeks. Anyone in the area? My crash pad is ready, my body is kinda shit right now.
>>
>>879041
weight is definitely a huge factor with your progression during your first year of climbing.
>>
File: 874.jpg (22KB, 635x358px) Image search: [Google]
874.jpg
22KB, 635x358px
Tell me climbers, how many consecutive pullups can you do?
>>
>>879909
OP here, can only do around 20, maybe 21-22. Getting pretty close to 1 arm pullup though.
>>
>>879245
Do you have other climber friends? Often if I'm doing a long 5-6 hour session I'm not climbing the whole time, I'll take long rests and climb for fun as well as work on projects.
Having a friend that is close to your skill level to work on new routes with can be great.
>>
>>879932
I do but I'm at university atm so finding time to climb together is often quite hard
>>
clearly im not climbing long enough, i usually only do 2-3 1.5 hour sessions a week
>>
>>880622
Yeah your progression is going to be hastened/slowed by your body type at the start, but I'm climbing 4-5 days a week no problem with minimum 3 hour sessions. Sometimes when I have a day during the week with really light school or work ill be at the gym for 6-7 hours.
>>
>>880622
Also, it depends on what you're doing for that 1.5 hours.
If you warm up and then work on one project for that whole 1.5 hours then that's not a bad sesh.
If you're spending a long time warming up, climbing random stuff, talking, etc. then you're not getting a lot out of the 1.5 hours.
>>
File: Kaspersensarete.jpg (80KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
Kaspersensarete.jpg
80KB, 450x338px
Swedish climber here, mainly climb in Kjugekull. Which has some world class rock you should check out if you are in southern sweden some day. Also climbed my fair share in Magic woods and Fontainebleau, to which I will move in the summer.

Feel like Sweden is either sandbagged or the rest of the world grade too high. Foreign climbers that usually climb 7a-7c come here and struggle with 6a-6c.

I also feel like people forget that people set grades, its often subjective. To say you climb a certain grade I think you should have climbed 10+ problems of that grade to get some kind of average of different peoples grading. Finding a problem that fits a person very well is possible and allows you to bump a whole grade with almost any grade below 8a after that it should not happen or something is very wrong. Anyway pic related is a very nice 8a on the right arete and 7b+ on the left.
>>
>>882398
Do you find a similar increase in your climbing ability when you climb outside of Sweden?
>>
>>883154

Yes, first summer in Kjugekull I climbed 5-6a on average, though 6a was hard, and at highest two or three 6b. Same summer we went to magic woods, I climbed two 6c within a week, while we spent every weekend of that summer in kjuge.

Now there are places in Sweden too with too high gradings, Västervik for example is a really really nice place with some amazing rock but even some pros have said its graded too high.

Im just against grading too high, its a kind of inflation and for grades to stay relevant there has to be some kind of consistency and in my opinion sandbagging does less "harm" than grading too high. In my opinion 99.9% of beginners should not be able to climb 6b or higher, and im not in that 0.1%. Font grading starts at 4, so everyone should be able to climb 4, 4+ to 6a should be the beginner range. I think thats V0-V2. That 0.1% can probably climb 6b-7a(V3-V6) within a year but after that the difficuly should be such that the technique and strength required is simply not possible to aquire in such a timespan.

On the pic I posted the problems are reversed, I was tired.
>>
I'm 183cm, whats a good weight to work towards? Currently sitting at around 86k
>>
>>890112
70-75 kg
>>
>>883379
I find this to be true with many scandinavian boulder areas. One of the reasons might be using the fontainebleau sandstone boulders as a standard for grading.

Granite = more fingerstrength dependant
Font sandstone = more technique and condition dependant

Thus: a slopy font 5C (climbed with imperfect technique on a warm day) might feel just as hard as a crimpy granite 6C.
>>
File: slim chance.png (312KB, 405x481px) Image search: [Google]
slim chance.png
312KB, 405x481px
>tfw only diabase boulder to climb in my area

How do I keep the skin on my hands? I'm sanding down callouses, but what moisturizer should I look into?
>>
>>878843
an outdoor v8 with only a year of climbing experience??!
what kind of v8 was it? a no-tech involved, no finger strength involved, muscle up kinda problem?
>>
>>890631
honestly man dont bother with alot of brands om moisturizer.. not sure if the have the 'Climb On' brand where you are but thats teh only one that seems to actually work.
only way to get tough hands is to climb on alot of plastic and alot of rock
>>
>>890631
Burts bees hand creme dood. Almond milk smells but is my favorite. There's also a banana. I use it every day after climbing. Tough but not calloused like a freak. EVERYONE PLEASE READ
>>
Ho well is this for the time I've been climbing?
I've been climbing for 9 months and have sent 2 V7s, 4 V6s, and dozens of V5s (All indoor) and outside I've done a V7, V6, and about 5 V5s. I have climbed outdoors about 5 times, at Stone fort, Horse Pens 40, and boat rock.
>>
I've been climbing for just under two months, I go to the gym at least 3 times a week but I find that after around an hour/hour and a half my arms kind of lose their strength. I was extremely skinny before starting, pretty much underweight but I'm putting on the kgs and muscle quickly. Is it just because of how my body was before I started climbing that my arms wear out quickly? How did you guys fare when you started climbing?
>>
>>893471
Its normal to get worn out when your relatively new. Just keep going and eventually you'll get used to it. Also throw in some exercises such as traversing around the wall and stuff like that. I'm no professional but that's how I got Mt endurance.
>>
File: image.jpg (131KB, 729x1081px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131KB, 729x1081px
>>891064
Climb-on is tits.
>>
File: 250-D0436-Edit-3.jpg (715KB, 1200x798px) Image search: [Google]
250-D0436-Edit-3.jpg
715KB, 1200x798px
Any Aus fags on here?
would love to talk about our world class climbing and such
>>
>climbing for 4 months
>highest grade I've done was a balance-y V2

I was super unathletic before starting, but damn.
>>
> Climbing for 3 years
> Stuck on V4-V5 boulders
Oh well.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.