[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /asp/, has anyone of you checked this stuff out and what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

Hey /asp/, has anyone of you checked this stuff out and what do you think of it?

I'm excited to see how it all works out, the first contests are to be held in 2016 and have the aim to break down the borders between different weapon-based martial arts in order to let different styles and standards face off against eachother.

Currently the Mk I armor (or Lorica, as they call the suit) is a bit bulky and slow, which they aim to fix in the Mk II

http://uwm.tv/
https://www.youtube.com/user/UnifiedWeaponsMaster

Tl;dr on what it is:
Modern and high tech suit of armor that measures hit strength and determines lethality.

Go.
>>
Kind of interesting, but it really comes off as goofy. In the video, it looked like they were just whacking their sword together for a minute, then flailing around till one got hit. It's really hard to tell what is going on when they're actually fighting. Hence the need for constant slow-mo breakdowns. The killing blow though, is that you can't even tell who wins. The fighters don't even know, they keep going after a loss.

Plus, the main point of interest was that this advanced suit of armor would left them use weapons on one another. Instead it just looks like fake foam swords, or batons of some kind. Why even bother with the crazy get-up if it's just gonna be foam swords?
>>
>>878535
"Armored" fighting that is designed to replicate unarmored fighting.
There is so many problems with their premises that I really don't see how it could be good. It will be a silly niche stuff and that's about it.

Plus, as said, wooden sticks, foam and plastic swords...
>>
>>878535
Thanks for the shilling and reposting the same shit for the 20th time.
It is still a stupid idea.
>>
Honestly?

Give me Battle Of Nations over this.

Bearmode dudes who fix their own armour clattering the actual shit outta each other in a muddy Polish field, whilst several period accurate peasants and a goat look on.
>>
I like how it's like the MMA of weapons fighting.
>>
File: Comfort Fencing Heavy gloves.jpg (85KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Comfort Fencing Heavy gloves.jpg
85KB, 960x720px
Fingerless gloves.
>>
>>878699
>btf foam on the outside
Is there padding on the inside, as well?
>>
>>878535
If it was done decently, it could work.

However, they apparently don't intend to be able to simulate certain types of attacks at the beginning, so it's kinda pointless.

A sci-fi version could do shit like give people power amplification for crazy mobility skills or lock joints to prevent certain injuries, which could increase the amount of violent spirit that would be okay.
>>
>>878651
Exactly my thought!
And how anything goes; elbows, mordslags, stabbing, you name it. I do viking reenactment at the moment, but feel limited in what techniques I can train because of safety reasons. I really long for bashing the rim of my shield in the teeth of the other guy..
>>
>>878535
Garbage. why someone is going to go into this, rather than stick with non-anachronistic systems which have stood the test of time is beyond me.

as for the sparring I saw, put a sharp in their hands and see if they still play a game of wacky sticks. my money says they would move and act totally differently.
>>
>>879020
I'm excited about it because I hope it'll help bring the western weapon martial arts into the mainstream, rather than them being stuck in the reenactment scene. And HEMA doesn't count; I want to fight using different weapons than the ones that happen to have manuals.

Do you train with sharps?
>>
>>878535
If they're not training 'bareknuckle', without armor, I don't want to watch. Beating each other to death full contact style with as little to no armor is the only right answer
>>
File: 2191568960_1d68c7f150.jpg (138KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
2191568960_1d68c7f150.jpg
138KB, 500x333px
>>880134
This will kill hema, and any martial art that attaches itself to it. It stands to reason that the ideal style for this would not be any existing style. It would be a new one developed from older material but tailored to the completion. That is it would take into account the rules, the anachronistic selection of weapons, and the fact you simulate non armored combat wearing armor.

HEMA is about reconstructing historically accurate techniques from manuals, Japanese Koryu are living lineages of functional, historically accurate weapons techniques and systems of survival. Why would you trade either of those for this?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.