[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Krav Maga

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Krav-Maga.jpg (109KB, 600x499px) Image search: [Google]
Krav-Maga.jpg
109KB, 600x499px
What does /asp/ think about Krav Maga?
>>
>>853396
I used to do it for 6 or 7 years or so. It's pretty fun.

They basically teach you how to get out of a fight in a fast way. So you get releases from most grappling grips, put you in situations with multiple opponents where your goal is not to get dragged into a 2vs1 or 3v1 fight so you have to keep moving, weapon disarms against knives, bats and guns. Where I trained they also did 1 vs 1 sparring, but I heard that's not universal.

Just like most martial arts it's pretty specialized in what it does. So you have to wonder what you want to do with your art. For self-defense (aka getting home safely) it's pretty good. For beating other people up you might as well do boxing, as they spend lots more time training for just that.

You have to keep in mind it was originally meant for soldiers who pretty much stop the initial close range attack, make space and then grab their gun to counter attack. And it does that well. For civilians you run away instead of grabbing your gun. It also has some cool techniques for arresting a person, like arm and shoulder locks. Putting someone on his belly.

I come from a grappling background and I didn't find the Krav Maga techniques more or less effective than things I had seen in other styles. It were mostly variations of other no-gi techniques. I mean, does it really matter if you throw someone by his hip or by his head? Does it really matter you grab someone's face or someone's collar? Not really. It did give me some perspective on how techniques I knew could be used to disarm a person, while beforehand I didn't even realize that's what the locks were for.
>>
>>853454
To add. I also had a military trainer who loved his knife drills. So we also learned to block and attack with a knife and knife takedowns. But I don't think that's part of the regular civilian curriculum.
>>
>>853454
Sounds great, Does it make sense to start with it, if the training is just once in a week?

why did you stop training krav maga?

any advice for a beginner?
>>
>>853572
I dont think you can get a good impression of any style in a week, but that shouldnt keep you from trying. If I were you I'd just visit a couple nearby martial art schools, regardless of what they do. And just pick what looks fun.

I eventually stopped training because I felt they didnt have any more to teach me, so I went on to do some kick boxing to hone my striking skills.

The best advice I can give you is to start jogging. It will help a lot.
>>
>>853584
Oh I misread what you said. A lot of people train once a week as many people have little time to sport recreationally besides their work. But it will take very long to get good if you do so. It's your own call.
>>
what's the difference and whats better between sambo and krav maga? I know one is trained for russian soldiers and the other is israel but that's about it.
>>
>>853454
>For civilians you run away instead of grabbing your gun.
Depends on where you live and how much your government trusts you. We train for concealed carry.
>>
>>853609

thx for the information.

jogging is a good advice :-)

i did taekwondo about 7 years ago, so i know the conditioning part of martials arts. im curious how different krav maga is...

i hope it will be usefull to learn some self defence techniques and build more self confidence regarding that ;-)
>>
Average places do what they're meant to, teach basic self defense so you can gtfo. Only a problem if they sell it as
>military ma, you will literally be a killing machine
I'm sure there are some good places, but it would benefit to also learn a combat sport or martial art where you compete. The only reason to go in my opinion is drills if they have good ones, and any place where they actually explain the legal stuff for self defense.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.