[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Locksport?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

File: lock1.jpg (113KB, 1430x953px) Image search: [Google]
lock1.jpg
113KB, 1430x953px
Any fans of locksport around?
>>
I am. I love to pick locks
>>
>not having the locks on doors
>not having the locks in mechanisms that change tension requirements
>they're literally holding the locks at an angle, making the picking less realistic

Are all of those pin and tumbler locks?
Is that supposed to be a locksport enthusiasts' meeting, but without any other kinds of locks?
>>
>>846462
>Not understanding locksport
>Not understanding locks
>Not understanding lockpicking

Pin Tumbler locks are the most common locks out there. What did you expect? Disk Detainers?
>>
>>846486
I was just messing with you, mate.
>>
>>846517
I know. It is 4chan after all.. lol
>>
File: 4AtNQzY.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
4AtNQzY.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>
did not know this was a sport
time to do it
>>
File: security_dimple_key_lock.jpg (30KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
security_dimple_key_lock.jpg
30KB, 250x250px
I've been thinking about trying my hand at some dimple locks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P38rxrgnzYA
>>
Wait is this a real sport? Can someone source me on it? My dad is a locksmith and I would love to find out more about this.
>>
>>846434
I used to dabble in lockpicking, definitely would've stuck with it if there was a competitive scene around me that I was aware of.
>>
I don't think I'd really get into the competitive side, but I would really like to learn how to pick locks one day.

I know the theory behind a fair bit of it (from subscribing to lockpicking Youtube channels lel), but I've never even tried to pick a single lock.
>>
>>855205
>but I've never even tried to pick a single lock.
If you have some shitty locks around the house, like a lock in a filing cabinet or something, you could bend yourself some paper clips with some plyers, and have a go.
It's lots of fun.
>>
>>855205
You can get a lock pick set on Amazon for $20.
>>
>>855510
What should I look for in a pick set?
I can't tell the difference between different picks yet, so should I just get something really basic with a couple of straight picks, a couple of rakes and a torsion wrench?

Or should I get a bigger set that I'll be able to do more with down the line?
>>
>>846434
>>853631
>>853635
http://lockwiki.com/index.php/Locksport#Locksport_Groups
>>
>>855512
http://toool.us/equipment.html
>>
>>855512
>What should I look for in a pick set?
When you're a beginner, you're much more likely to wear down and damage your tools. Because of that, it might be a good idea to get a large set with a variety of tools for cheap.

Once you've broken and worn down a few tools, you might develop more of a preference for techniques and tools, narrowing down what you're likely to use.
You could then buy picks and tension wrenches individually, making yourself a finely developed set or two.

Peterson is a good higher-quality brand.

http://www.thinkpeterson.com/

What I use the most are a smaller hook, a Peterson gem, diamond, and a snake rake.
For wrenches, keep around 6 with me, all hand made, double ended, in variety of widths.
I keep one end short for top of the keyway tension, and the other end longer for bottom of the keyway tension.
>>
>>855579
What pickset would you recommend for a beginner hobbyist on a budget? I went to a lockpicking club a while back and they told me not to spend more than $20-$30 maximum on my first set, but that club is now defunct so I can't ask them for specifics.
>>
>>855583
Would also like to know this. I'd like to try something new.
>>
Anyone care to explain what in the fuck locksport is?
>>
Now this is some fucking real asp shit
>>
File: lockpick.jpg (10KB, 260x321px) Image search: [Google]
lockpick.jpg
10KB, 260x321px
So years ago I tried to learn to pick locks. I bought some picks, this book, and a padlock from Home Depot to learn on. I was never ONCE able to get a single pin set. How do I learn? What did I do wrong?
>>
>>855738
Given context clues, pretty sure it's "first one to pick their locks wins."
>>
>>855820
getting an actual teacher.
go to your local jail and ask if you can learn from an actual thief.
>>
>>855820
Might have been a good padlock, consider a bad chinese one for first steps.
>>
>>855980
How do I tell the difference? Don't suppose you could get me an Amazon link?
>>
File: tools.jpg (150KB, 1562x695px) Image search: [Google]
tools.jpg
150KB, 1562x695px
>>855583
>>855631
http://www.amazon.com/Ubesta-Portable-Durable-Steel-Unlocking/dp/B010DR1I8W/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1451692141&sr=8-7&keywords=lock+picks
This lets you try a decent small variety of tools, and it's less than $20.

Personally, I babied my first set of tools, and they last me a while even though they were shitty and weak.

>>855738
>>855822
There're things like that, but there could also be timed trials.
>whoever picks this lock the fastest wins

>>855820
I haven't read that book, but it could've been that the look was too difficult.

I'd suggest getting this padlock, it's got a dead hasp, so you get a good feel for the tension.
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-570DPF-Aluminum-Padlock/dp/B016YKP9YG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451692932&sr=8-2&keywords=master+570dpf

You might want to get yourself a clear lock, or one you can pin yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjuT_63Ioig

>>855583
>>855631
This is a pick set that's about $20, and it comes with a clear lock to practice with.
The lock picks and locks are relatively small, though. Padlocks are generally smaller than door locks, though. The smaller locks would also wear down more quickly.
http://www.amazon.com/Mazu-11-Piece-Unlocking-Extractor-Transparent/dp/B014PET8W2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451692141&sr=8-2&keywords=lock+picks

Generally, from my personal experience, I've found that door locks have more room to work with, and have a different tension feel compared to padlocks.
I've put it off for a while, but I've been meaning to make myself a lock pick set made smaller for padlocks.

I'd advice not practicing on only padlocks, but also buying some cheap door knob locks and deadbolts to practice on.
>>
>>855510
>You can get put on 15 FBI watchlists for $20 on Amazon

ftfy
>>
>>859114
Use a pre-paid cash card and have it delivered to a trusted squat house.
>>
>>859114
>2016
>getting put on FBI watch lists for buying a set of lock picks
>>
I just bought a practice lock and a few tools, as well as some padlocks. I can't wait to get started. Any tips for beginners?
>>
>>863126
When you're trying really hard, and you're getting frustrated, it may be a lot easier to apply too much tension rather than too little.
>>
>>863126
Single Pin Picking is the way to go.

Raking can get expensive, even if you apply different raking methods.
Raking can only get you so far, so to be effective, you'd need a variety of rakes, along with the skill and knowledge of advanced raking.

These are also a bit interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inGiNLQtHYo
>>
>>863324
>>863157
I was easily able to single pin pick a master 140, what's a good lock to pick next? And where can I get more?
>>
>>866131
>And where can I get more?
Locks can run you a good amount of money.
To get the most skill out of the most locks, you should get a repinnable training lock with a bunch of different pins.
You can get the experience of picking various types of pin lengths, pin numbers, pin types, and their combinations, all with one lock.

I spent at least $100 on locks when I was starting out.
I just bought locks from Home Depot, Fred Myers, Wal Mart.
Padlocks, dead bolts, door knob locks, bike locks.
Home Depot had a good variety of locks, but I mostly went there for the duct tape.

I had fun taking apart locks, it's a lot easier with a repinnable training lock, though.
I remember getting the pins mixed up on a lock once, it was a pain in the ass to repin it correctly for the key.
>>
>>866162

I bought a master lock 911, hopefully it won't be too challenging.
>>
File: never forgetti.jpg (107KB, 837x593px) Image search: [Google]
never forgetti.jpg
107KB, 837x593px
>>868112
>>
>>868137
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFGVbkJRJV4
>>
Bumping for interest
>>
>>870977
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsZMbs5PC64
>>
Why are they called tension wrenches?
Aren't you applying torsion?
>>
>>876830
Because fuck you, that's why.
>>
File: Tick50b3bfaca7f2c.jpg (31KB, 610x960px) Image search: [Google]
Tick50b3bfaca7f2c.jpg
31KB, 610x960px
>>
File: A53PD_ORB3.jpg (25KB, 565x565px) Image search: [Google]
A53PD_ORB3.jpg
25KB, 565x565px
I tried my hand at some unidentified Shlage knob, that keyhole shape was more restrictive than I was used to.

I didn't get it open, but I only tried for a few minutes.
>>
I also dabbled a bit, need to get back into it.
I just bought a cheap 4 pick + wrench set and a plain cylinder lock.
Then I took the lock apart and left 1 pin in.
Then added another once 1-pin got too easy, repeat until you're picking the entire lock.
I found the best way to keep up with the pins and springs was to wrap them in tape and label each set with a marker.

>>856051
>You might want to get yourself a clear lock, or one you can pin yourself.
I always heard that clear locks were bad because they teach you to rely on sight.
A re-pinnable one might be convenient after you get a thorough understanding of normal lock components tho.
>>
A nice resource:
www.pintumbler.org/lockpicking/cl
>>
I used to switch out the locks on my bedroom door, so I'd get the feel of picking different locks that were mounted on a door.
I also used to have a slab of wood from an old desk that I drilled a hole into so I could mount locks into it.
>>
File: 1421946857114.png (120KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1421946857114.png
120KB, 256x256px
>>877794
God damn anon I know I'm a day late but fuck I laughed hard.
>>
File: 300 confirmed blackjacks.png (145KB, 1861x379px) Image search: [Google]
300 confirmed blackjacks.png
145KB, 1861x379px
I got a lockpick set for Christmas, and I think I need some practice locks (at most I've been able to set 1 or 2 pins on my back door's deadbolt). Can anyone recommend some? Everyone seems to be sold out.
>>
>>881171
A good beginner lock is a lock that has 3 pins.
>>
>>881171
Master brand locks are really good for beginners.
>>
Where can I get a set without ordering online?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.