[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Taking Karate at University

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

File: Karate[1].jpg (59KB, 440x275px) Image search: [Google]
Karate[1].jpg
59KB, 440x275px
I'm required to take a Physical Education course at my university, here is the description:
>Introduction to traditional Japanese karate: kihon (basic punching, striking, blocking, and kicking techniques); kata (formal drills); yakusoku kumite (pre-arranged sparring); and demonstration of ji-yu-kumite (controlled free sparring). Karate uniform required.
What is the likelihood this will be a waste of time piece of shit.
>>
File: soccer2.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
soccer2.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>814760
Trust me man, drop out of it and go straight to football. That's where the chicks are at
>>
If you don't already know how to fight, go for it.
I'd chose that over weight-lifting, track and field, or whatever else they offer, any day of the week.

It teaches technique, which is which is what (most) beginners need, and it even has sparring (which, for most people even though it's 2015 and I shouldn't have to mention that part, is very important for using technique in a fight, be it a tournament fight, or street fight).
>>
>>814770
I enjoy weightlifting, I figure it would be good to take it as a class rather than go in my leisure. But if this karate class will teach me skills (I want to box, I would take boxing if they had it) then I'll gladly take it and just weight lift in my spare time.
>>
>>814776
>But if this karate class will teach me skills
Again, if you can't already fight, it will teach you fighting skills, even if it doesn't spar as much as a Kyokushin Karate dojo.

If you decide to start Boxing later on, some of the skills Karate skills would transfer into Boxing, but you might feel limited in the Boxing ring because Karate is Kickboxing.
>>
>>814782
Great, I have no idea if I can fight, I have no formal training. Looks like Karate it is.
Any tips on how I should condition myself over winter break?
1RMs
DL - 365
SQ - 285
BP - 185
I know cardio is a big thing, so I'll start jogging.
>>
File: Football.jpg (11KB, 282x179px) Image search: [Google]
Football.jpg
11KB, 282x179px
>>814776
I enjoy football
>>
>>814796
cardio and agility drills will mean way more than your 1 rep maxes unless you are a malnourished twink, so it sounds like youve got it under control
>>
>>814805
>cardio and agility drills
Examples
>>
Anon does your university have boxing and/or wrestling courses?
>>
File: soccer.jpg (10KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
soccer.jpg
10KB, 275x183px
>>814824
or better yet, a football team?
>>
>>814824
Unfortunately no, else I'd take them. I actually think I would have done well wrestling in HS, one of my regrets is not doing wrestling.
Here's what NCSU offers:
https://hes.dasa.ncsu.edu/courses/activity-courses
There's a "Self-Defense" course but I feel like it's going to be shit.
>>
>>814833
I'd expect both to be pretty shitty, but with the karate course you'll have the option to continue pursuing karate at a later time if you like it, and get a base that you might be able to work into other martial arts as well, depending on the quality of the course. I'd think the karate course would be better for socializing but I've no real justification for it, I just think the uniform and general atmosphere is nice and can lead to better contact than talking at a self defence course after the instructor shows you how to detect a rapist and kick him in the groin real hard.
>>
>>814760
Do you know what style of karate it is? "Traditional Japanese karate" is rather generic...
>>
>>814849
Do you think a weight lifting course would be better? I don't really know what to expect.
>>
>>814850
I'm sorry I don't. Here is the syllabus, it might be of some help.
https://courses.ncsu.edu/hess235/common/syllabi/fall_2015/pollard_hess235_012_014_015_fall_2015.pdf
Does "pre arranged sparring" mean we already know our opponents moves before we even start?
>>
>>814812
Running always helps. Train distance as well as speed, 1.5-2.5 miles is a solid distance to train those.
Also learn to jump rope, it'll help your footwork by a huge amount.
>>
>>814856
Weight lifting would have a complete lack of teaching you anything about fighting, and you already do that anyway.
>>
>>814877
Ah true. I just don't want to waste my time doing patty-cake or scripted fights.
>>814875
I see, thanks for the advice!
>>
>>814861
my understanding is they are like judo kata
>>
>>814861
Yes, yakusoku kumite is pre arranged two man patterns, the syllabus defines it as pre-arranged one step sparring so it's likely the kind of stuff where a guy poses then does a stepping punch and the other guy does a pre-arranged counter. Not the most useful thing to practice IMO but common in karate. What you should keep in mind is that some idea of how to fight is better than none, so it might not be ideal but it should be a start.

Your first post mentions mentions jiyu kumite, which is supposed to be actual sparring on some level. That's good since many (shitty) schools don't actually do jiyu kumite, but I don't see it in the actual syllabus, which says the karate style is Wado-Ryu. I've no personal experience with it, apparently it's also derived from japanese jujutsu, but that doesn't have to mean anything. As a fan of martial arts, I'd say take the karate and then if you like it see if you can find a good school either in the same style or something else. Kyokushin is probably the best for full contact stuff.
>>
>>814894
Great! Thanks man.
>>
>>814894
Wado-ryu is point krotty
>>
>>814760
>What is the likelihood this will be a waste of time piece of shit.

Well it's likely to be point karate when you actually are able to spar.

For liability reasons I'm sure your school probably doesn't have anything beyond that. Unless you're talking about the wrestling team or a Judo class/club, pretty much any grappling.

To most people, no matter how safe and not stupid about it you are, striking is "barbaric" and inherently less safe than grappling. Thus civilized/not poor people don't do it, thus point slappy krotty is inherently superior.
>>
>>814782
>some of the skills Karate skills would transfer into Boxing
No.

Not even a little.

>On amateur kickboxing card.
>Buddy who I train with is also on card, both of us with same corner/coach
>On top of actually learning how to fight, he's done 15+ years of point krotty, though he doesn't get into the gym as often as he should
>Still has a shit load of bad habits from point krotty.
>Steps into ring faced off against 18 year old high school wrestler who's only been striking for 6 months
>Gets BTFO
>>
>>815075
So are most karate schools not Kyokushin and its offshoots, really, so I kind of assumed that'd be the case, though I think Uechi Ryu also does full contact sparring. Again, anything is better than nothing, and for a university course I think studying karate would be more fun and fulfilling than a self defense class.
>>
>>815089
>No.
Yes.
Krotty has straight punches, Krotty has "use ur hipz", Krotty has distancing, Krotty has timing, and Krotty also relies on stamina and speed.

>bad habits
When you do 15 years of anything that isn't MMA when you expect to excel in MMA, you're going to have bad habits.

>this one guy did Krotty and he sucked so Krotty sucks and everybody who does Krotty sucks
Are you trolling here?

OP doesn't know jack about fighting.
He doesn't have technique.
Point Krotty or not, TECHNIQUE.
>>
>>815112
Technique which literally makes you a worse fighter than zero training.
>>
File: tumblr_ndks1gzbp81qdlh1io1_400.gif (2MB, 341x297px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndks1gzbp81qdlh1io1_400.gif
2MB, 341x297px
>>815152
You are literally wrong.
>>
>>814760
100% bullshit.
karate is bullshit.
dont even bother.
even free competition they aim to win via points through fast strikes. zero power, useless irl.

if you want to learn striking, learn boxing.

out of those options though, id go with yoga.

>lots of girls
>gives you good mastery of your bodyweight and gives you flexibility.
good basis for doing a real striking art later.
>>
>>814850
traditional japanese karate is most likely shotokan not aimed at competition, it would have said "okinawan" if it was another traditional style.
>>
>>815112
>When you do 15 years of anything that isn't MMA when you expect to excel in MMA, you're going to have bad habits.

It wasn't an MMA fight.

Every time some anon on here replies to this story to defend point Krotty, they get confused because the kid he was fighting was a high school wrestler.

It was an amateur kick boxing fight, i.e. striking and clinch only.

>>this one guy did Krotty and he sucked so Krotty sucks and everybody who does Krotty sucks
>Are you trolling here?

Nope. I'm giving you a real world example of someone who spent their time with point Krotty getting BTFO in a real fight against someone with six months of Muay Thai.

It's easy as that.
>>
>>815314
>100% shitposting troll
>>
>>815459
>real world example
>It's easy as that.
No, it's not.
With your "real world example," you've failed to isolate the variables and figure out what actually caused him to lose the fight.

>he did Krotty and he lost, so it must be the Krotty
That's just plain stupid.

>this German kid got into a fight in the cafeteria
>Hitler was German
>Violence must be a German thing
>>
>>815468
>With your "real world example," you've failed to isolate the variables and figure out what actually caused him to lose the fight.

I trained with him, I knew exactly what his bad habits were.

They were all related to the decade or so he spent training point Krotty.

It ingrains a shit load of bad habits related to foot work, timing, distance, rhythm etc.
>>
>>815553
Right, and I'm a world champion Boxing coach who's also killed 138 gooks in the Viet Nam War.
>>
>>815606
>Right, and I'm a world champion Boxing coach who's also killed 138 gooks in the Viet Nam War.

>This is comparable to talking about the well known problems with people who train point Krotty tag

If you're going to attack me because you know what I'm saying is true, at least you can use the old faithful "he wasn't training THE REAL point Krotty".
>>
>>815732
What's it like attacking me because you know what I'm saying is true?
>>
>>814894
>What you should keep in mind is that some idea of how to fight is better than none,

>>815092
>Again, anything is better than nothing,

>>815152
>Technique which literally makes you a worse fighter than zero training.

This last guy is right. Point karate is going to teach you throw unrealistic, overcommitted techniques, pull them short, then stop, at which point the person you didn't hit hard enough to do any damage is going to ape-rape you. It also teaches you to think you suck unless you're untouchable, which is not true.

And no, you can't just not pull your punches. A strike you intend to pull back is different from the moment you start moving, not just at the end. You also can't just suddenly start throwing competent combinations after you've spent years of throwing single techniques and stopping.

Source: It happened to me. I was literally a worse fighter after over a decade of point krotty than I would have been if I had done nothing at all. Do better than Uncle Seido, kids.
>>
>>815152

What kind of fighting do you mean?

Do you mean combat sports with a referee, set arena (padded mat floor), and gloves on your hands? (Aka, not fighting, but a sport)

Or do you actually mean fighting, where some piece of street trash is trying to cut you up for your cash?

If you mean the combat sport, yeah, traditional Karate isn't going to be super useful. If you mean actual fighting, then yes, there are some useful things that can be picked up from Karate.

Also, because they advertise as 'Traditional' karate, they probably aren't that focused on the competitive scene with point karate, which is where the bad habits can come from. Though I could be wrong.
>>
>>815963
>traditional Karate isn't going to be super useful.
OP doesn't have the basics of fighting in general.
Traditional or not, they're going to teach OP basic technique. Punches, kicks, blocks.
>>
>>815963
>If you mean the combat sport, yeah, traditional Karate isn't going to be super useful. If you mean actual fighting, then yes, there are some useful things that can be picked up from Karate.

So what you're saying is you're going to be awesome on the "street," with weapons and multiple opponents and all that, when you can't even spar in a ring?

Sport vs. Street is an argument that hasn't been taken seriously in decades, man.
>>
>>815747
>What's it like attacking me because you know what I'm saying is true?

>what I'm saying is true

The delusion is real.
>>
>>815965
>So what you're saying is you're going to be awesome on the "street," with weapons and multiple opponents and all that, when you can't even spar in a ring?
>Sport vs. Street is an argument that hasn't been taken seriously in decades, man.

These desu senpai.
>>
>>815965

I meant more that, if he was thinking boxing or MMA style combat, traditional Karate is probably not the way he wants to go.

If OP is interested in general fighting skills, traditional Karate isn't the worst thing out there... Unless they focus on point fighting.

I do have a bias favoring traditional training though, no doubt about that.
>>
>>815978
You're the delusional one.
>>
>>815980

Based on what exactly? Your extensive experience using tea ceremony-tier martial arts to fight crime on the streets?

If you like putting on ethnic costumes and pretending you're an ancient monk or whatever that's cool. It's not optimal though.

And traditional karate is slightly less bad than wushu or capoeira (both of which I've done quite a bit of), but only because it mostly doesn't contain techniques that will actually hurt the person executing them. It's still pretty damned useless though, and I meant what I said above about it being worse than nothing. You'd be better at fighting if you just found an amateur rugby club and signed up than by doing karate. At least you'd gain some strength, get a good workout, and start getting used to getting hit.
>>
File: 476974198.jpg (173KB, 594x446px) Image search: [Google]
476974198.jpg
173KB, 594x446px
The problems with the point karate meta are many and well known. Stopping all action on contact which takes away any finishing instinct or combination striking, the use of reaching pokes rather than techniques with actual force behind them because the goal is simply to touch, the constant lowering of the guard for several reasons: because there's no real risk of getting hit, because stopping to pose and scream as if you'd scored is practically encouraged, because the rules demand your other hand be at your waist rather than guarding your vulnerable face when you land a punch. Do these things enough and they become second nature, and the actual lack of pressure from an opponent that's actually hitting you and won't let up after throwing a single punch or kick also breeds terrible habits.

Having said this, it's not impossible to take a points-based background and do something good with it. Lyoto Machida and Anthony Pettis became UFC champs on the strengths they took from their karate and taekwondo backgrounds respectively, while Kyoji Horiguchi stands a pretty good chance of dethroning Demetrious Johnson a few years down the line, if the division lives that long. Raymond Daniels is doing quite well for himself in Kickboxing coming from a points background, and I think he still participates in point competitions. They may not be the world's greatest fighters, but they're proof that one can take a points background and go places with it.

As an aside, WKF rules allow a degree of standup grappling and grant ippon to clean attacks on a successfully downed opponent, which is a pretty good skill to have and something I wish more full contact karate styles allowed. Pic related, Rafael Aghayev has found success against taller men in a range-centric meta by using what grappling is allowed to dump them on their backs or heads after they overextend on a poke.
>>
>>816066
>rather than guarding your vulnerable face when you land a punch.
The Orthodox Boxing Guard isn't the only guard, you dumbass. Many professional Boxers don't keep their arms in front of their face all the time.
>>
>>816066
>Do these things enough and they become second nature
OP never said he was going to be doing it for 15 years.
He's a beginner, a noob. He could take a lot from the technique he learns, especially if he decides to do Kickboxing in the future.
>>
>>816125
>The Orthodox Boxing Guard isn't the only guard

Obviously. In fact just "putting on the earmuffs" and clamping up like boxers do doesn't work very well with smaller gloves or bare knuckle, but actually guarding necessitates the arm being near the place you're trying to protect or at least being in a position to move to intercept. Not to mention when boxers keep their lead low it's usually for popping jabs and makes them much more hittable. There's a reason why "keep your guard up" is so often repeated. Pulling your arm all the way to your waist as if to chamber a punch in static practice as the WKF rules demand serves no purpose. It completely fails to protect any part of your body and would only make a followup punch highly telegraphed.
>>
>>816127
I know, and I'm one of the posters that's been encouraging him to take the karate course. It's just something to keep in mind. I feel there's something useful to take from every martial art, but that doesn't mean that WKF-style point karate practice doesn't breed bad habits one should keep in mind.
>>
OP here, thank you everyone for your input, I'm going to draft an email to the professor, and I'm wondering what questions I should ask him?
Somethings I can think of by skimming through the thread:
>will there be actual sparring
>is this going to be point based karate
>how much physical punishment can I expect?
etc
>>
>>816161
Eh I wouldn't worry about it bro, not to mention if you start by questioning the professor on what kind of karate this is you might get off on the wrong foot. Just keep an open mind and go and try to have fun and make friends, but do consider that, per your OP, yes chances are this won't be a terribly good intro to actual fighting. You can look into other, better martial arts outside of college, however.
>>
>>816179
>yes chances are this won't be a terribly good intro to actual fighting.
He has a choice between Karate and Self Defense.
>>
There are two very important things in fighting, technique and applying technique.
It's easy to learn technique.
Learning how to apply technique is helped a shit load if you spar.
>>
>>816184
So you're suggesting he skips both and finds something not bullshit? I agree
>>
>>816213
He's REQUIRED to take a PE course at his university, Karate will be fun.
>>
>>815984
>You're the delusional one.

Is that why there all those successful UFC and K1 fighters who train point Krotty?

That must also be why I'm literally reading stories every day of point Krotty fighters destroying dozens of armed attackers.
>>
>>816333
You're showing just how delusional you are.
>>
>>816334
>You're showing just how delusional you are.

You're right, my bad.

Let me go back to reading news stories about all those successful point Krotty fighters BTFO of everyone.
>>
>>816335
>still showing it
>>
>>816333
>Is that why there all those successful UFC and K1 fighters who train point Krotty?

see >>816066, it has a handful of examples of people from points background making it big in the UFC and GLORY.
>>
>>816338

>Still reading about point Krotty fighters dominating UCF, K1, WSOF etc.
>>
>>817967
>>
>>814776
the karate you will be learning in this class is most likely gonna be shit and a complete waste of time. if you want to train boxing find a boxing gym. they are usually very cheap. i would just take the weightlifting class if i were you. you will probably get to learn some sweet olympic lifts and you will get stronger which will benefit you alot more than that mcdojo tier karate class. in your spare time try to find a boxing gym to train at.
>>
>>818032
>you will get stronger which will benefit you alot more than that mcdojo tier karate class
OP is already lifting you dumb ass faggot.
>>
>>815952
>>815152
This. Don't do point sparring, any martial art ever. If you don't feel your ribs hurt at the end it's not karate.
>>
>>818032
>>818180
Shit, I'll ask around if any serious martial artist has taken the course and has said it's worth it.
>>
>>814760
For everybody in this thread that are going to shit on karate, if you really think about it the most stand out talents in MMA are all guys with karate roots or use karate style stand-up. Karate is the smartest way to strike. Don't believe me?

Ask

GSP
Machida
Stephen Thompson
Sage Nortchott
Conor McGregor

To name a few.

People are catching on that its the best way to strike and take the least amount of damage.
>>
>>819423
GSP trained in Kyokushin, a full contact style people have vouched for in the thread, and made his career off mixing a stinging jab and strong double leg takedowns. None of which are very karate.

Machida is the only name in your list that really counts, the exception that confirms the rule. He was a standout precisely because he was using his obviously karate-based style and I'm big fan of his but many of the holes in his game was stuff he never managed to patch from his point karate background.

Thompson is undefeated but middling and has neither fought a ton nor faced top level competition.

Northcutt is almost entirely promotional hype. Kid's shown some chops and he handled himself well against Pfister but it's still just two fights and the entirety of his appeal comes from his age and the promotional efforts of the UFC.

McGregor used Taekwondo to expand his game.

You missed Kyoji Horiguchi in your list.
>>
UFC Fighters that have trained Karate and use Karate stuff in their fights:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Court_McGee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Liddell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bas_Rutten

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyoto_Machida

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Thompson_(fighter)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Makdessi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uriah_Hall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Jimmo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_St-Pierre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoji_Horiguchi

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Gaudinot

/asp/ is just full of people who haven't practiced Karate who just spout the "Karate sucks" meme.
>>
>>818354
Don't ever listen to or reply to Pomf.
It's just shitposting, every time.
>>
>>819503
Nah m8, /asp/ in general seems to be fine with karate, just not point spar stuff. Same reason they don't like tkd.
>>
>>819587
I'd like to say that TKD point sparring is a lot different then other forms of point sparring.

People doing light contact taps and trying to prevent injury =/= olympic sport that people train from base childhood to excel at.

The level of competition really drives TKD beyond what you'd get in other "traditional" martial arts. Any goddamm nation on earth worth posting from has a Oly TKD team.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.