[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kendo thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 11

File: 6DE2e.jpg (179KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
6DE2e.jpg
179KB, 800x800px
How's training going? Any dojo stories?

I'm having a little difficulty learning the whole "counter before the opponent moves" thing. Can't quite seem to get the grasp of baiting them into moving for my attack to hit. Any advice on that?
>>
File: ken2.jpg (41KB, 484x445px) Image search: [Google]
ken2.jpg
41KB, 484x445px
I was never good at doing a men strike this way, but debana kote was one of my goto technique.

I don't think that baiting them into striking is very realistic to attempt. A better use for the technique is against someone who you know is going to attack. I tended to go for debana kote as a counter to someone who was "attacking me too much" but which I mean attacking a lot, even at times when I wasn't vulnerable. I knew they were going to attack and so I would just wait until my eye picked up the slightest hint of intent to attack or movement towards me and then I would drop the kote strike on them and explode away.

Baiting I think won't work on anyone who is any good because it looks to obvious, if some one baits and opening against me, I'm just going to go for something else or fake them out or something, or just back away and readdress them. If you're going to try it, make the opening as subtle as possible.

A better option, in my opinion is to force them to attack, either by backing them into a corner or moving in like you're going to attack, but really just be waiting for their hands to raise. That last one is risky though.

You just have to know, you have to have picked up on a tendency in the opponent where you're sure they are going to attack and then drop the kote strike on them immediately. That's the real key, you have to make no upward motion what so ever, just drop the kote on them, hard, and you can only do that if you KNOW they are going to attack.
>>
>>804674
Interesting. How would you go about doing it to partners you've never really practiced with, or if they're ultra defensive and mostly go for counters?
>>
I'm not talking about knowing someone is going to attack because you practice with them all the time, I mean figuring someone out during a match. Debana is always a gamble, but it's taking the educated risk that makes it so fast and therefore so effective.

If someone seems defensive, debana isn't a good technique to use on them unless you think you can force an attack some how.
>>
>>804732
Makes sense. Man I'm out of practice.

>tfw trying to start club at university
>can't find anyone who has any experience
>>
>>804674
>I don't think that baiting them into striking is very realistic to attempt.
It's not just your opponent's skill that determines likeliness of something working, it's also your own skill.
Just about everything can work if used in the right way by the right person against the right opponent.
>>
File: 1409678323179.jpg (127KB, 600x782px) Image search: [Google]
1409678323179.jpg
127KB, 600x782px
Prepping for Kagami Biraki 1000 cuts. Also Jodan training is going good. Got a 3dan from California visiting our dojo for a few months and he knows Jodan and Nito-ryu, so its finally good to learn from someone who knows and learn often. 3 days of practice with the proper knowledge excelled months of trial-and-error practice on keiko
>>
>>804674

Dude people take baits more often then not. Put a little pressure and "bait" your kote and then do Kote Nuki Men. There are techniques specifically designed to counter and if you can feed your opponent a false opening its easy money
>>
Post more kendo girls

>>806362
Pretty cool, I haven't met anyone with any experience in nito-ryu sadly. It'd be interesting to learn it, but I should probably master chuudan to the point of being able to efficiently tsuki first.
>>
What's the difference between kendo and fencing?
>>
>>806681
the most obvious observation is the size of the sword.
>>
File: tropes_tamaki_394.jpg (126KB, 350x416px) Image search: [Google]
tropes_tamaki_394.jpg
126KB, 350x416px
>>806666
4u

Would it be any benefit for a HEMAfag to learn some kendo? I'd like to try it, but I'm afraid of getting myself confused since I'm still pretty new to HEMA.
>>
>>806806
I would advise against it, it's generally not a good idea to start to different sports at the same time, especially if they're kinda similar. Wait until your HEMA-skills are more solid until you try.

>>804637
Generally debana-men will be easier against shorter opponents and debana-kote against taller, degote used to be my favorite waza, but I've gotten pretty solid at the debana-men the past half-year so I'll try to give some advise.

Basically you want to attack as your opponent is in the middle of an okori-ashi, either forward or backward. For a shorter opponent you will be in issoku-itto before him, use this to attack men as he tries to move into his own distance. For an opponent who backs up a lot, put some pressure and attack when he's in the middle of stepping backwards. This video illustrates the concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHWXydz73H0&index=1&list=PLVBZE0JEA23zSGSA80IIpgvE-2FweWZeT

If you try to attack debana-men after the opponent has already begun his attack, you will almost always fail, or at least I do. Well unless you're a lot faster than your opponent at least.

In contrast, for degote you can subtly give the center to a taller opponent and smack his kote when he goes for men.

>>804674
>Baiting I think won't work on anyone who is any good
You just have to get better bait, here's an example of a successful baiting attempt an arguably pretty good opponent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN_1xA6oPDI&t=8m23s

You can find many more in the rest of the video. But it depends on your opponent a lot, also what kind of bait is effective varies.
>>
>>806806
Sure more practice the better. I have sadly never done Kendo but enjoy a fond interest and hope to do it in the future and have integrated some Kendo drills into my solo training for HEMA (mostly just kneeling and practicing striking without projection infront of a mirror).

It might not directly help you out in HEMA and but but taken as read that more HEMA is not an option it's more conducive to improvement than spending that evening sitting on 4chan.

One observation I can say from sparring with Kendokas in HEMA is they're excellent at integrating mittelhaus (horizontal strikes) into sparring which in my experience is an often overlooked skill that really catches most HEMA beginner to intermediate off guard since 45 degree defensive strikes are so rigidly enforced.Granted at that level alot of HEMA sparring is just trading strikes to the head and starts looking like Kendo anyway.
>>
>>806666
Here ya go Satan

>>806681
Should be obvious enough if you watch a video, but kendo uses two hands and primarily involves vertical strikes rather than stabs.
>>
File: kendo_girl_by_fedex32-d5gtwh5.jpg (107KB, 418x630px) Image search: [Google]
kendo_girl_by_fedex32-d5gtwh5.jpg
107KB, 418x630px
>>806971
Have a few more pics, dumping since ded board anyway, regarding non-mandrama shit
>>
File: Kendo_Sita.jpg (112KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
Kendo_Sita.jpg
112KB, 320x480px
>>806972
>>
File: lEmNMAtPu7o.jpg (31KB, 320x427px) Image search: [Google]
lEmNMAtPu7o.jpg
31KB, 320x427px
>>806974
>>
File: western kendo.jpg (112KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
western kendo.jpg
112KB, 400x600px
>>806975
>>
File: for ants.jpg (20KB, 236x388px) Image search: [Google]
for ants.jpg
20KB, 236x388px
>>806977
And I'm done.
>>
>>804637
Are modern kendoka impressed by the prewar generation or do you feel kendo has moved beyond their technical level?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk_kHaM1n7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THGtXO0yC9g
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.