[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can you teach yourself martial arts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: Op879E6.jpg (426KB, 952x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Op879E6.jpg
426KB, 952x1600px
can you teach yourself martial arts?
>>
No.
> inb4 that one autist with his shitty copypasta
>>
>>804479
>can you teach yourself martial arts?
yes
>>
Depends on the person.
>>
/thread
>>
File: 1441564647611.jpg (57KB, 500x267px) Image search: [Google]
1441564647611.jpg
57KB, 500x267px
>>804479
Halfway.
You can learn techniques, footwork, philosophy, etc. on your own.
However you NEED to spar, you need to actually use the skills you learn to be effective against someone else who knows how to fight.
>>
>>804479
No you can gain a better understanding to an extent but there are some things that you can only learn with a partner.

Can two people learn a martial art together without anyone else. Yes to an extent or at least they can get started along the path.
>>
>>804563
>However you NEED to spar, you need to actually use the skills you learn to be effective against someone else who knows how to fight.
>>804564
>No you can gain a better understanding to an extent but there are some things that you can only learn with a partner.
False. There are some things that a large majority of people can only learn effectively with a partner because most people are just stupid and ignorant.
It's just a fact that not everybody is highly intelligent and knowledgeable.
>>
>>804479
You can teach your self to fight, you cant teach yourself a specific style
>>
>>804479
well they offer distance courses so technically yes and no.
>>
>>804521
>> inb4 that one autist with his shitty copypasta
It's autists that solve the world's toughest problems. It's autists that answer the world's biggest questions.
>>
>>804479
I started to teach myself to box. I got into pretty good shape and I thought I was pretty decent, but as it turns out, I need that feedback from a trainer. I need to know that what I'm doing is right and where to go from my current point. Some people may not necessarily be that way, I guess it varies from person to person.
>>
>>804900
Learn from your mistakes, learn from others, and then apply what you learned, rather than relying on others forever.
>>
>>804907
Well that comes back to this comment

>>804563

sparring is an important way to develop. I can't just go into the gym and hit the bag over and over and all of the sudden improve. These live action scenarios also help you build your boxing IQ, which is one the most important parts of the sport.
>>
>>804479
I did. I did everything karate kid did during the summer. Paint the fence and wax on wax off and standing in the boat every day
>>
>>804952
>sparring is an important way to develop
For a large majority of people, not every single person in the history of man kind.

>>804957
You're a faggot.
>>
File: 1317952.jpg (255KB, 600x490px) Image search: [Google]
1317952.jpg
255KB, 600x490px
>>804479
Not effectively, no.

Without resisting sparring partners you'll never really know what you can and can't pull off successfully.

The best thing you could do alone is get stronger.

Then save up and join a martial arts gym.
>>
>>804986
I agree, but I would consider myself to be in the large majority.
>>
>>805019
>Without resisting sparring partners you'll never really know what you can and can't pull off successfully.
Even with resisting sparring partners, people may never really know what they can and can't pull off successfully.
It depends on the person.
>>
>>804479
Like everyone is saying, sure, but not well unless you're an autistic savant, have manga-esque powers to copy shit, or go around getting the shit beat of you to figure out whats best. It's not ideal, and it's be best to go to a gym/dojo unless you either actually can't and can't wait, or want to do it from scratch because you're a big nerd who thinks it'd be cool.
>>
>>805139
>but not well unless you're an autistic savant
It's still possible to have profound genius in a certain area without being autistic and or a savant.
>>
>>804986
>>805151
From an advice standpoint, hoping that someone is a genius isn't feasible.
>>
>>805154
>From an advice standpoint, hoping that someone is a genius isn't feasible.
Advice or not, information should be informative. Leaving out information can often be like lying, for it won't give the person the full truth.

>hoping
>implying
Hoping was never mentioned until you brought it up.
The fact is that geniuses have existed throughout history, they exist today, and they will exist in the future.
>>
File: nuke webm.webm (514KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
nuke webm.webm
514KB, 1280x720px
>>805211
>and they will exist in the future.
Not if I fucking blow everything up.
>>
File: 1438535294189.jpg (203KB, 381x424px) Image search: [Google]
1438535294189.jpg
203KB, 381x424px
>>804576
Where did you buy that level 50 enlightened fedora is it in the I don't need to compete DLC
>>
Short answer is probably not.
You need real world application to improve skills, I can sit in my lounge room all day and hit my punching bag but do I learn how to hit a moving target? What do I do in a clench? How do I block fast hits? The bag can't help me train for those situations, I mean yeah I could work on punching and kicking but I can't train properly without some sort of feedback.
If you don't want to get a trainer or teacher, get a friend whos also interested and you can both learn off each other.
(Same applies if not more so for grapple based martial arts)
>>
>>805243
*Clinching
lmao my bad
>>
>>804479
train by yourself
spar some, find your weaknesses
train more
spar again

rinse and repeat until you can hold your own or beat most folks at a gym (you wont. but you'll try).

if you can it means you should move to a different gym.

i do this for boxing.

all you need for training are conditioning drills, speed and heavy bags.

focus mitts are good for practicing finer points (e.g. parries, rhythm, timing etc.) but sparring gets you the same result anyway.

that being said, if you train but dont spar, then your MA is shit
>>
>>805243
partially correct.
>moving target
speedbag/double end bag alone
focus pads and sparring with a partner
>clench
conditioning when alone
drills with partner
>block fast hits
work on reflexes when alone
sparring and drills with partner

some things, like developing speed, power, coordination work better when alone.
you arent constrained by the other person, and can take things slow, adjust and retry without waiting on another person. its more efficient.

other things, like reflexes, timing, pacing, footwork, really only get stressed when you are sparring or drilling against a partner, and hence the ONLY WAY to properly do it is with a partner. you can train prerequisites for them alone e.g. conditioning, but ultimately you need a partner for this.

>>804986
bullshit.
I'm part of mensa with an IQ of 132.

I still train boxing with a partner.
It's a myth that one can train alone.
People dont behave the way you want them to.
when training alone, even when shadowboxing, the imagined person you are up against most likely thinks like you and moves like you.

It is only through sparring that you can build up a mental list of tells people do.
It's called experience. Its why an older veteran can beat new blood even though they are slower and weaker.

Its like saiyng you know how to swim, but never really going into the water. You make the movements on land, but you cant anticipate the currents no matter how hard you attempt to picture it.

anybody who says otherwise is lying, either to themselves or others.

The whole CMA no sparring thing is bullshit. Back then they had letai - essentially open challenges on a raised platform, which proved a styles worth. Besides that, ALL internal style had some form of partner drills or open sparring. (e.g. ai shen pao for hsing-i)

Same goes for weeb weapons shit - wooden weapons exist for a reason.

If you train but you dont fight, you're useless and might as well have wasted that time watching TV or LARPing
>>
>>805394
>I'm part of mensa with an IQ of 132.
>only 132
TOP KEK
You're an idiot and full of shit.
>>
>>805394
>I'm part of mensa with an IQ of 132.
>not even in the lower levels of the top 1%
>implying IQ is equal to intelligence
IQ, on the scale of billions of people, can generally differentiate between very stupid people, relatively average people, and very intelligent people. Your 132 means jack shit.
You're full of bullshit.
>>
>>805394
It is in fact possible to learn a martial art and effectively apply it without a teacher and or sparring.

A common myth is that one is unable to perceive the flaws on one's movements when mimicking the movements of a martial art, and that a teacher is required to detect these flaws in form and aid in correcting them.
Detecting the flaws in one's form can easily be done with the utilization of attention to detail and a mirror.
It would take some very severe cognitive impairments and or lack of effort to be unable to do this, given that adiquate information is provided.

Another common myth is that muscle memory is required to apply martial arts, and that one would be unable to participate in combat without getting a gluteus maximus kicking.
One reason people believe this myth is because of how much more quickly humans tend to react to a stimuli with muscle memory rather than conscious reaction time. They fail to understand that this in no way means that conscious reaction cannot be utilized. With higher aptitude for reaction time and or training, one who may have never engaged in hand to hand combat will be able to perform as well if not better than one who has trained muscle memory for hand to hand combat, not to mention how muscle memory can be used in combat if trained with proper knowledge and understanding beforehand.

Experience is only as creditable as how it's interpreted.

Not saying that learning with a teacher isn't almost always more efficient.
>>
>>804479
Learning fighting on your own is like reverse engineering dozens of generations of technological progress or iterative design.

You can do it, but it will have a bunch of flaws that everyone else found out how to fix. It would also take you a lifetime, instead of being achievable in a decade or two.

This is a matter of scale. An established art builds upon the foundation of multiple generations of people who tried shit and kept what was useful. That's also why certain Asian arts have massive issues - Too much love for tradition, not enough pragmatism.

To make your own art from scratch, you need to go out and fight until you know your shit. Then you start teaching others, who in turn will show you perspectives that you haven't thought of yet.
>>
>>805822
You are talking out of your fucking ass.
>>
File: 0742417670.jpg (283KB, 875x1000px) Image search: [Google]
0742417670.jpg
283KB, 875x1000px
>>805843
Apparently, you can't read.

You might want to start here.
http://www.carsondellosa.com/products/0742417670__Reading-Comprehension-Resource-Book-0742417670?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=0742417670&CAWELAID=120176460000018595#/?book media type=f389e45b92884d48844baaf09d49e3c5
>>
>>805885
If you learn shit by yourself, you best do everything by yourself instead of copying shit without understanding why it's done in a specific way. That's where you teach yourself entirely the wrong things.

Or you stop being a sucker and fucking get someone to teach you. That will teach you in a week what you'd normally need years for.
>>
>>805837
>it will have a bunch of flaws that everyone else found out how to fix.
Depends on the person.

>>805837

>This is a matter of scale
That's debatable.
>you need to go out and fight until you know your shit.
Or learn from arts already created.

>perspectives you haven't thought of yet
Intelligence and or knowledge can compensate for that
>>
File: 1439499052275.png (421KB, 792x540px) Image search: [Google]
1439499052275.png
421KB, 792x540px
>>805889
>Intelligence and or knowledge can compensate for that
>I can imagine all possible variations of all combat situations
underage b&
>>
>>805888
Reading comprehension, learn it, kiddo.

>That's where you teach yourself entirely the wrong things.
>>805822
>given that adequate information is provided.

>>805888
>Or you stop being a sucker and fucking get someone to teach you. That will teach you in a week what you'd normally need years for.
Reading comprehension, learn it.
>>805822
>Not saying that learning with a teacher isn't almost always more efficient.
Which implies that a large majority of people, for reasons of lack if intelligence, lack of knowledge, and lack of dedication, which is implied, are unable to effectively learn a martial art and effectively apply it without a teacher and or sparring.

Reading comprehension, learn it.
>>
>>804479
To an extent.
How do you think the first martial arts master learned?
Let's be honest though. It's not effective to learn on your own. You don't learn the discipline the same way.
>>
Forgive me for getting off the topic at hand but OP's pic reminded me of a long time question.

China has bears
China makes many animal inspired martial arts
Bears are great fighters
Their is no bear style kung fu

My question is why is there not a martial art style inspired by bears?
>>
>>806593
>How do you think the first martial arts master learned?

Not in a vacuum or by himself like you are implying.
>>
>>805822
is it a rule that this topic can never come up without this copypasta being posted?
>>
It is simple enough to end this argument.

The people who think it is possible to be a effective martial artist by teaching themselves and training alone.
Show one example of someone who trained this way and was actually good.

If you can show even one real world example as proof of concept then it is possible.
BUT if their is not a single real world example then you guys must admit that it is unproven bullshit.
>>
>>804957
I'd suggest a full contact karate style better. Like Kyokushin.
>>
>>805822
>It is in fact possible to learn a martial art and effectively apply it without a teacher and or sparring.

Bullshit. That's a way o learn and effectively apply yourself into getting a one way ticket to an ass beating.
>>
>>807073
>My question is why is there not a martial art style inspired by bears?
Ever heard of Chinese wrestling?

1:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr61dFqHsbc
>>
>>807586
>Ever heard of Chinese wrestling?
Yeah, it is not inspired by bears and is pretty shit compared to most asian folk styles.

Also just spend over an hour watching bear videos thanks to you.
>>
objectively no.
>>
objectively yes.
>>
Pedantically no.

you can't teach yourself anything. To teach you have to already know.
>>
>>804790
Nice way of saying you are an autist
>>
>>807073
Did you see Kung fu Panda?
>>
>>807073
Because bears use the same techniques as bjj and other grappling styles and china is demonstrably incapable of producing an effective martial art
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.