[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Boxing General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 225
Thread images: 26

File: Roberto Durán.jpg (1MB, 4377x3064px) Image search: [Google]
Roberto Durán.jpg
1MB, 4377x3064px
Questions, opinions, history, brotips and so on.

The old thread is archived. >>733503
>>
This isn't WWE. Please delete off topic threads
>>
>>799771
What is better:

Boxe Espagñol

Boxe-Francaise

Box-American?

Or boxu-Yaponese
>>
>>799771
How much does it normally cost to train in the US?

I am thinking of trying boxing and want to know what I am in for budget wise.
>>
Boxing club at my university: Worth it or is it the blind leading the blind?
>>
>>799780
It usually costs around $200 in start up costs, and $160 a month on average.
>>
>>799779
kill yourself
>>
>>799868
>tfw real Wu is actually kill
>>
>>799835
Oh my goodness. Not him but I found a great place that's $100 startup and $45 a month. And it's close. Hot tits.
>>
>>>/sp/
>>
how pissed do you think julio cesar chavez sr is about his stoner son pissing away all that talent and tainting the family name?
>>
Thoughts on canelo v ggg? Im thinking canelo
>>
>>800528
canelo via mexican money
>>
>>800453
Chavez Jr. had at one point all the tools he could ever need to succeed. His father, one of the greatest ever, giving him advise. One time he trained in Mexico at 10000 feet with Erik Morales and he looked very good. Every past Mexican great at one point or another offered him support. And he chooses Joe Goosen as a trainer? Get the fuck out of here.

>>800528
The truth is, Canelo skillz are two levels below Golovkin's. Plus the size advantage will not be one of the main factors anymore.
GGG would humiliate de la Hoya's cash cow.
>>
ANYBODY KNOW HOW TO INCREASE PUNCHING POWER?
>>
>>801020

punch through, not at, your target
>>
>>801020
Technique -> general strength -> speed -> maintaining the power.

In this order.

>>801029
This. Like a OP pic.
>>
File: knuckles of brass.jpg (51KB, 868x542px) Image search: [Google]
knuckles of brass.jpg
51KB, 868x542px
>>801020
>>
I've been only one time in a boxing gym, and the couch was just making everyone jump ropes and hit the bag round after round, rarely I would see someone sparring in the ring.

Im training at this kickboxing gym for almost 2 years and at the end of most classes we spar with at least 3 different partners. I can still feel the adrenaline running through my veins and it feels so damn good, I feel that its when I spar is when I learn most.

I love boxing and I want to delve into the sport, but I wonder if every gym is the same. Of couse in that time I wasn't in the same shape I am now, but still. I just want to spar
>>
>>799771

Real question for boxers and other martial artists.

The boxing "stance" is widely forward-facing, which is okay if you're punching, but leaves you wide open if kicks or throws or anything else is involved.
Some TMA fight almost exclusively sideways (like TKD).

Is the sideways stance better, as it leaves less open area on the body to be unprotected? Or do you sacrifice too much punching power while fighting sideways?

Is there a happy medium, or is it a different tool for a different job?
>>
>>801614
Guess I'll be posting my cock in your wwe threads again ;^)
>>
File: couch_580px.png (243KB, 580x395px) Image search: [Google]
couch_580px.png
243KB, 580x395px
>>801289
>the couch was just making everyone jump ropes and hit the bag round after round
>>
does anyone have experience with gloves from Leone?
>>
>>801434
wtf does widely forward facing mean exactly?
The traditional boxing stance is actually nor "squared up" at all its more at a sideways angle.

mma guys are squared up
>>
>>803847
>mma guys are squared up
No, wrestlers are squared up.
mma is just that, mixed martial arts. Stances are mixed.
>>
>>801289
>I can still feel the adrenaline running through my veins and it feels so damn good
It sounds like you're having a hard time adjusting to the adrenaline, it could be possibly be psychological.
Fight smart, not hard and stupid.
>>
>>803855
As if the general consensus on the mma best stance for mma is not squared up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTwtg7K2JM4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApRBjb93FJ4
>>
>>803881
>general consensus
Means very little.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTwtg7K2JM4
>Correct Stance
>implying there's an incorrect stance
Get a load of this faggot!
>>
>>799771
Who would win if time travel put both in their prime: Joe Louis or Mohammad Ali?
>>
File: 1448755416329.jpg (98KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1448755416329.jpg
98KB, 600x800px
>>804194
tyson fury
>>
>>804194
Louis had more power, but was flat-footed. If he ever connected with Ali it would be all over. Ali never really had power, but he could dance around, avoid Louis, and possibly win on points.
>>
>>804258
Dat picrel, kek.
>>
>>800368
Don't listen to this idiot, it's typical 60 dollars a month
>>
What does it mean if I can run 3 miles pretty comfortably but can't maintain 1 round of pad work with my coach? It's like I'm fit with one thing and unfit with the other. I'm unsure as to how I should alter my training.
>>
>>807007
Observe yourself and isolate the problem; then, fix it.
>>
>>801434
Muay Thai
>>
>>807007
Do you do 30 second interval sprints during your jogs? You need to do explosive sprints to simulate explosiveness in the ring.
>>
>>807022
No I don't, I will definetely include these.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 408x408px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 408x408px
>>799771
I saw Roberto Duran at the grocery store and went for a handshake but he grasped my cock and balls HARD. i got pissed but he is a big dude so I just let him molest me right in front of the Macintosh apples, it was terrifying. What was I supposed to do?
>>
I want to learn cuban style boxing but have no idea where to look in tampa florida, is anyone familiar with any good cuban style coaches in tampa? I really want someone who's going to drill me on the basics from the ground up.
>>
>>801434
>Is the sideways stance better
Depends on how you use the stance, how your opponent stands, and at what point(s) in the battle you're using the stance.
>>
>>807040
I would've paid money to be those Macintosh apples.
>>
How much cardio should I be doing weekly? I lift 2-3 times and get 40 minutes of jogging in 3 times a week. I feel like I should be pushing that....
>>
>>807040
>he is a big dude
What are you, North Korean?
>>
>>807104
Once you can sprint for 10min straight, you're good.
>>
WLADIMIR = BLOWN THE FUCK OUT
>>
>>807303
>So I told Fury to go to conference dressed as Batman and then win against Klitschko...he actually did it, the absolute madman
>>
>>807303
It was such a shame watching him. That shouldn't even be called a title defense, he was too scared to throw anything.

Canelo and GGG tho.... boipussy=ready
>>
File: Blausen_0597_KneeAnatomy_Side.png (620KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Blausen_0597_KneeAnatomy_Side.png
620KB, 1024x768px
can we ask kickboxing advice?

>this week started learning kicking
>knees sore since 2 days ago.
>feels dull, at the back of the knee inside and at the front inner sides
>not sure if tendons of the picture or meniscus
>feels worse when i walk downhill roads and going down the stairs

what do?
>>
>>799771
Hey checking out /asp/ for the first time. How's the boxing/kb generals around here? I figured (and seem to be right( that WWE dominates the board.

I've been training for three years, I'm still shit
>>
>>799831
Probably the latter from personal experience. same with those normal gym "boxing" classes in yoga studios and also any place that does mostly bag work and doesn't do sparring
>>
>>801051
Mmm, if speed includes rotation, then it's quite a bit over power. I've been hit hard as fuck by tiny quick guys with good form, I'm way more scared of a fast slender guy than a built slow guy
>>
>>807007
You probably need to condition yourself to not overexert and know how much energy to use on different things. Like with running, new people tend to run way too hard and don't breathe enough. So they cant run very long since they start out at like 90% speed and slow peter out to 35% (made up numbers)
>>
>>807674
Are you locking your knees too much when you make contact? You won't be kicking through the bag yet since you're learning and might be transferring the kick bakc up your leg as a result
>>
>>808182
used to be decent, i only ever came here two or three times a week due to it being a slow board, but since it got changed to mandrama its like trying to find a needle in a haystack
>>
>>807007
running is LISS, boxing is more HIIT.

You're pretty much asking why Mo Farah can't sprint like Usain Bolt.
>>
File: 1446447189850.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
1446447189850.gif
1MB, 260x146px
>>808182
boxing gets around a little more than kickboxing over here.

Our OP current is a bit of a fanatic.

Wu could very well just be kill, but everyone shitposts with his name now.
>>
>>808192
i thought about my form and you are right. i was trying to kick the bag while my stationary foot wasn't turning.
ot was locked on the ground.

i hope it is not serious and will go away soon. it jiwt feels super sore amd weak.

i also fucked my right pinkie knuckle.
i was punching with clentched fist and my knickles weren't aligned. so there is soreness there too.

i didn't expect i will actually feel sad for missing the next sessions to rest. it is very addictive sport.
>>
>>808277
Are you having pain in your grounded leg, or the leg doing the kicking?
>>
>>808198
Okay so any suggestions how to adapt my training?
>>
File: 1449282321816s.jpg (5KB, 250x210px) Image search: [Google]
1449282321816s.jpg
5KB, 250x210px
>>808288
both same knee soreness like identical.
been training in left jabs, right crosses
left kicks and right kicks.
>>
>>808288
>>808192
mind you it is my second week but i did overtrain because i got excited. I was going to the gym every other day for 1/1:30 hour

I had a decent upper body condition, abs and calves but knees and core I am not sure.
>>
>>808187
I meant that the cornerstone of all attributes should be general strength, because without it you will hit like Paulie Malignaggi.

>>808223
Fanatic? Fuck no. It's just my favourite sport, I like KB and MMA.
Luckily enough, I've never noticed shitposting on my name.
>>
>>801020
got taught how to throw hooks by the bomber back when I was in the uk. to quote him "here's the secret to punching like a black man: be relaxed."

If you're relaxed and smooth you know you have good form. If you have built up a lot of reps doing it relaxed and smooth you become proficient, which makes speed. Speed plus good form equals power. Having the endurance and strength to properly throw these punches for long periods of time makes sure your technique doesn't turn to shit after 2 minutes, which means you stay smooth, fast, and powerful.
>>
who is the best boxer in mma right now
>>
I googled what you said and came across this article:
http://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-techniques/punch-techniques/power-punching-secrets-part-2-implosive-punching

>Grounding yourself: In order to exert downwards force without lifting yourself upwards, you have to first RELAX YOUR HIPS. In the moment of punching, you have to quickly release your hips so that they begin to fall and then you counter the fall by exerting downwards force. This all happens in a split second–it’s a quick release and quick counter-catch all while you’re throwing the punch.

The guide also seems to imply that - as a general rule of thumb - you should try to keep your body as relaxed as possible as much of the time as you can, only exerting yourself where you need to

is the author right about any of this?
>>
>>808780
oops, meant to quote >>808516
>>
>>808517
I'd say Frankie Edgar
>>
File: how to smile in chinese.jpg (19KB, 550x343px) Image search: [Google]
how to smile in chinese.jpg
19KB, 550x343px
>>808780
c'mon man did you ever do biology?
Your muscles work in pairs, fucko
your bicep pulls and your tricep pushes
if your arm is tense, you biceps are slightly tense. then when your triceps expand to shoot your arm out, it has to deal with your biceps working against it.

top MMA fighters all have a high muscle twitch rate in that they can tense and relax their muscles in a very short moment.

relaxed muscles = faster movement

is bretty simpoo
>>
I finally found a boxing gym that actually seems good - legit credentials, produced actually good boxers, old ass coach, everything.

How ready am I to jump into daily conditioning if I have seriously shit cardiovascular stamina. I did Kenpo for about 2 years but I left because it felt kind of bullshit to me - I know the basics of fighting but I left without much, although I'd say i'm relatively fit because the place doubled as a 40 year old mom workout place.

Should I do anything beforehand? I don't want to end up wasting money quitting because I just quit because it's far too tough. My chest legit starts burning and I get serious pains with cardiovascular strains, despite that I am young.
>>
>>809384
well if you're young and and at least a bit determined, you'll get used to it pretty fast
>>
>>809384
Maybe the old ass coach isn't very educated in relatively recent developments of sport science.
Sometimes, "no pain, no gain" turns into "all pain, no gain."

If you've been doing nothing but sitting on a couch and eating French fries and bacon all day for 5 years, you shouldn't just get up and run 2 marathons. What you should do is work your way up over a period of time to running 2 marathons.
>>
How long did it take you before you cold get the slips right? I feel like i can bob ok but when i practice slipping a punch in the mirror I look real tense and unsure.
>>
I'm 5'5 and never lifted a weight in my life. Im gonna start going to the gym next semester when my schedule changes.

Would I be cut out for boxing? I've always wanted to do it, looks fun and rewarding. But I am small and would probably stay physically weak even after training.
>>
>>810102
http://rossboxing.com/2014/11/13/top-tip-starting-boxing/

"In theory, there is nothing wrong with working hard to prepare yourself for a future endeavor (i.e. boxing). The reality however is that whatever you do on your own will not be as effective as what could have been done at a real boxing gym. No matter how hard you work alone, you will still enter the doors to the boxing gym on your first day as a complete beginner."

Now obviously you can't rush in there and train now because of your schedule but my point is don't sweat it. Everyone starts out as a loser at varying levels. Exercise the best you can now, and be aware that it's never going to be enough, but imagine how much that first day will suck if you do nothing.
>>
>>810109
I'm definately going to try, but I was just wondering if my height / weight would be put me at a major disadvantage?
>>
>>810111
What's your weight?

If you're above 140, then yeah it will create some issues. None of that is insurmountable though. There's always strategy and technique to compensate. I'm hovering around 175 now and I'm about 5'9 with short arms. It just means my timing, head movement, and inside work have to be better than someone taller with longer reach. I'm never gunning for the title, I don't even want to go pro, that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the sport and spar/work at a local level.
>>
>>810115
I'm 5'5 and 110lbs
>>
File: patty you are in fact obese.jpg (8KB, 289x174px) Image search: [Google]
patty you are in fact obese.jpg
8KB, 289x174px
What does /asp/ think of these faggots?
>>
>>810132
You're good. Depending on where you're going you're going to have a hard time finding sparring partners. But your heighr/weight combo isn't bad.

Just be prepared to work your ass off in the gym. You're still under sized so you're going to have to learn some pretty impressive technique against taller boxers.
>>
>>810241
>you're going to have to learn some pretty impressive technique against taller boxers.
Not the Anon you replied to, but my father once told me something like that.
Being the Asian that he is, he's a bit short, and he commented on how tall Westerners can get. When he had me practice on the dummy, he raised it a bit high so I'd have to punch up to hit the face.
>>
What's a good HIIT cardio routine? I'm thinking of doing a 30 second sprint and then 2 minutes normal jog for a few sets? Is that too much or too little?
>>
>>813714
i should have mentioned: my aim is to be fit enough to spar plus last a few rounds on pads without tiring
>>
>>813714
2 minutes running 30 seconds rest
x6
>>
any one of soccer players will beat a boxer
>>
>>799771
Boxing, it's no football that's for sure
>>
>>814725
they know how to take a punch, step aside boxing for the REAL mans game
>>
File: capoeira.gif (113KB, 580x435px) Image search: [Google]
capoeira.gif
113KB, 580x435px
>>814725
Except Capoeira practitioners would kick any soccer player's ass.
>>
>>814741
Naw man, soccer players are tough as shit
>>
>>814742
It means exactly shit when they can't fight.
Not only can Capoeira practitioner dance with the ladies, they can also kick the shit out of people, literally.
>>
File: soccer2.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
soccer2.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>814775
Never heard of him, but I have heard of football. BOOM I win, goodbye
>>
>>814725
In a soccer match, sure.
Probably a crying match too, I'd wager
>>
What are some questions I should ask, and indicators that the boxing club at my university isn't a massive wait of time?
>>
>>815808
See if they teach you the basics from the ground up, literally.

Most good boxing coaches teach you feet first, then hands. If they go straight into hands then it's a waste of time.
>>
>>807007
definitely do fartleks/tabata intervals. they're pretty good for improving your anaerobic capacity
>>
Can anyone recommend a good pair of hybrid sparring/bag gloves? I'm only looking to spend around $100. Tried googling around but turned up mostly shills. I'm 6'1 180, so I'm assuming it'd be best to get 14-16oz.
>>
>>816999
Good sparring gloves will work like heavily padded bag gloves.
>>
>>809384
i was 115 kg all fat when i first entered the gym
just be active with the warming up and try your hardest every day
you will see results immediatly if you go twice a week
>>
>>816999
everlastpro style elite gloves are good and look p cool, 14 oz is enough for now.

>>815808
the trainer shouldn't be too eager to throw you in the ring
you should have a good warming up before the boxing combos
ask around the boys to see if they had boxing matches
ask the coaches if they had actual matches so u know they know what they're talking about
>>
So i just did my first boxing class.
It was basically 20 minutes circuit 10 minutes ab work 5 minutes running 5 minutes stretching and 10 minutes hitting on mitts
Is this right?
>>
>>818276
no
this is fitness
boxing is
warming up
having a partner to train combo/routines
like duck left hook right uppercut and back to stance etc
sparring
cooling down
at the place i train its around 1:30 - 2 hours of training
>>
>>818294
so it was just 10 minutes of
>having a partner to train combo/routines
like duck left hook right uppercut and back to stance etc
>>
>>818301
>>having a partner to train combo/routines
>>818294
>having a partner to train combo/routines

>TMA style dancing drills
>>
What do you guys think of Errol Spence?
>>
>>808196
Same, the problem is we have jobs and actually DO things so we can't compete with people who just sit around and shitpost all day
>>
>>808926
>frankie won by fantastic hook last night
you called it ahead of time anon!
>>
>>816999
Don't buy them to use for both, the bag work will compress the foam and make sparring with them more dangerous.

For $100, it might be worth it to go to Title, buy two pairs of these:

http://www.titleboxing.com/gloves/training-sparring-boxing-gloves/title-platinum-hook-loop-training-gloves

And mark one for bagwork and one for sparring.

I recently bought 4 pairs of these for the gym (Title temporarily fucked up their pricing so I got them at a ridiculously cheap price) and the Pros, the Coach, and the trainers all lost their shit

http://www.titleboxing.com/gloves/training-sparring-boxing-gloves/title-gel-revolution-training-gloves

I have a pair of these for bagwork and I like them, though they feel suspiciously light

http://www.ringside.com/ringside/ringside-apex-bag-gloves-gdp.html

A guy working to fight at pro has these and uses them for bagwork

http://www.ringside.com/ringside/ringside-apex-flash-sparring-gloves-gdp2.html

You could always go supercheap and get these for bagwork:

http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-ProTex2-Training-Gloves-Large/dp/B002V3A8N8/ref=sr_1_23?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1449935158&sr=1-23&keywords=everlast+boxing+gloves

And spend the extra money on a better set of sparring gloves.

Personally I used the Title Platinum training gloves for about six months, then bought the Ringside Apex Flash for bagwork. Now I use the Title Gel ones for sparring, the Ringside Apex for bag work, and have a few pairs of Title Platinum and a pair of shit Everlasts for friends who want to learn so I can work mitts with them.
>>
>>818341
U do know that technique comes from training repeatedly and that you cant train without having an opponent?
Further more the fact you downtalking routines and learning actual boxing makes me know and every other person that does contact sport that you have never trained or enter a dojo/gym
>>
>>818301
Yes but it should have been 30 minutes of hitting the mitts
>>
>>818874
Let him first try boxing out before going all out on specific purchases
>>
>>820931
He asked for some specific recommendations because google gave him squat, so I offered him some.

There's some crazy variance in gloves between $30-80, I figured letting him know about some of the ones I tried would help a bit.
>>
lel, I just found this

http://www.castefootball.us/forums/showthread.php/13622-Sergey-Kovalev/page9

is this is like a white supremacist boxing forum?
>>
>>826313
What the fuck?
>>
>>826347
http://www.castefootball.us/archives/u-s-boxing-is-dead/
>>
>>826353
Holy shit. This Kovalev's circlejerk needs more attention.

Does anyone can read this without, at least, smirking?
>>
>>826374
the Kovalev thread? What's specifically being said about Kovalev is actually true. He's fucking great. At light heavyweight, I can't think of a single boxer outside RJJ and Spinks in their prime who could probably beat him.

Anything else - yeah, there is a lot of retarded shit. Some true, some false
>>
>>826390
All true. He's dominating LHW.
It's just crazy for me that Sergey is created as a white crusader.
Like, I wasn't expacting that shit at all.
>>
I'm legit worried about Pascal. There is absolutely no way he's getting past round 6 or 7 against Kovalev in the rematch. Holy shit, just watch his fight against Gonzalez, he's been taking way too much punishment, both against Gonzalez and his previous against Kovalev. If all of this shit accumulates over such a short period of time, he's going to get brain damage or God forbid may be even worse, now that Kovalev is really set on 'destroying his boxing career forever' or however he worded it.

What a dumb greedy overconfident motherfucker, at least let's hope he's rational enough not to bring his daughter this time.
>>
muay thai or english/american boxe ?

can't decide
>>
>>830799
boxing for counter
muay thai for block
>>
>>830799

English boxing

Well it's your choice actually since muay thai and boxing are top tier sports, really effective.
>>
Joining a boxing gym next week
I already go to the gym but what are some exercises that would help me out with boxing specifically?
>>
>>833727
Have good legs
Be flexible around the waist
>>
>>833727
lots of high rep bodyweight squats, and lots of calf raises. during your first spars, your legs will fill up with lactic acid and will never feel so heavy
>>
Sparred with a heavyweight last night (i'm 70kg) and felt a little dazed after it. Really made me think about what I'm putting my body through and if it's all worth it.
>>
>>833923
Quit being a fag
>>
Yeah what's this kind of boxing ?
http://youtu.be/9uZBIVwfmfc
>>
>>833923
Being a little dazed made you rethink if you should be boxing?
>>
>>834143
That looks like American Street Sanda/Sanshou + Judo/Wrestling/BJJ.
>>
>>833923
Just do Kyokushin Karate. You get the fun of Kickboxing, as well as the lack of head punches. You can still kick people in the head, though, but it's not that often you'll take a kick to the head. You'll get kicked in the head far less in Kyokushin Karate than you'll get punched in the head in Western Boxing.
>>
>>833923
It's called defense and footwork, learn it.
>>
Look at how SHWs have grown since 1984, when the division was made. Tyrell Biggs was 6'3, 220 lbs. He'd be considered on the small side in today's division.
>>
File: 1431282361185.png (956KB, 694x766px) Image search: [Google]
1431282361185.png
956KB, 694x766px
I'm pretty new to boxing but I used to be really into power lifting. In order to help with boxing would calisthenics be a better workout to help with boxing?
>>
>>834167
does kyk karate do sweep kicks?
>>
>>836158
Two different types of muscles. Calisthenics and plyometrics help a lot more than straight weight lifting.

How long have you been boxing/what have you been taught so far?
>>
>>818341
>>TMA style dancing drills

It ´s necessary. Having a partner to practice the combos is usefull to get range and start reacting to a live opponent. You can also do blocking and parring.

Plus, there are always assholes and enthusiastic guys who'll throw fast, hard and move like motherfuckers so it is not a dance.
>>
>>833791
>Be flexible around the waist

The holy truth. If you know how to dance you are gold. That feet, waist and hands coordination.

Also, you'll jab like a madman your first weeks so that left shoulder is going to burn a lot.

Warm your waist so it doesn't hurt or get injuried, you are also going to move it more than ever in your life.
>>
File: aWOP21A_460s.jpg (40KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
aWOP21A_460s.jpg
40KB, 460x460px
>>833923
>little dazed
>>
>>836382
>9gag
Get the fuck out of here you piece of shit
>>
Is boxing a good martial art to learn? My friend and I have been wanting to learn one together, the only problem is there aren't any boxing gyms near us and I am pretty out of shape.
>>
>>836642
>Is boxing a good martial art to learn?
It's more of a fun sport than a martial art compared to Kyokushin Karate, Sanda/Sanshou, Muay Thai, etcetera.

Even American Kickboxing would leave you more martial than Boxing.

Boxing is more like Taekwondo where it's a better supplemental art rather than base art.
>>
>>836655
You got that backwards. Boxing it's the base. It's "simple", fast and effective. You don't need much to keep your ability.
>>
>>836657
A weak foundation leaves a weak structure.

Simple, fast, and effective, is best left for Krav Maga.
>>
I've been trying to find a suitable combat sport for self defense. What is a better sport for the streets? Muay Thai or Boxing? Please reply.
>>
>>836666
Muay Thai is better for the streets. Modern Muay Thai is even supplemented with Boxing as a single art, except you don't have to unlearn bad habits, you already learn to mix diversified striking ranges, you already learn to grapple a little, and you learn how to kick ass much more than sports fags.
>>
>>836666
Boxing is like Frosted Flakes.

Muay Thai is like multi-grain toast, eggs, cheese, avocado, lettuce, and a smoothie with a good variety of fruits.
>>
>>808223
>1446447189850.gif
>Muay Thai vs Boxing
>>
>>836670
>>836674
Ok awesome. I've been practicing Judo for a year now and I was kinda in a dilemma about this. Thing is I can't find a good Muay Thai Gym that is under 200+ per month. I see a lot of good cheap boxing gyms here but no Muay Thai.
>>
>>836679
Might as well start MMA at that price, a good MMA place is well worth it's price in golden dildos.

Boxing is still better than nothing, though.
>>
>>836666
Using Boxing in a street fight instead of Muay Thai is like using a 3 inch knife in a street fight instead of a 27 inch katana.
>>
File: salamakek.jpg (54KB, 380x500px) Image search: [Google]
salamakek.jpg
54KB, 380x500px
>>836664
>>
File: s908476496241381410_p4_i1_w448.png (141KB, 448x539px) Image search: [Google]
s908476496241381410_p4_i1_w448.png
141KB, 448x539px
>>836666
Krav maga
>>
>>836666
kicking is a way to keep people from punching you

the average person doesn't know how to throw a punch properly so boxing would suffice for a self defense situation. Either that or marathon running.
>>
File: Leg Kick TKO.gif (2MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
Leg Kick TKO.gif
2MB, 300x200px
>>836763
>kicking is a way to keep people from punching Kicks are so much more than that.
Kicks are more powerful than punches.
Did I mention legs are longer than arms? You can keep people away from you and deal damage at the same time.
Kicks are more unexpected on the streets because of the lack of skill and knowledge in the streets.
Even professional fighters have a hard time after 6 powerful leg kicks; unconditioned (even if they're muscular) fighters can take even less.
They just deal damage, did I mention that, yet? Kicks fuck shit up.
The legs are closer to the balls, having kicks in your arsenal makes groin attacks more viable.
don't even get me started on the range and power of the step side kick.
>>
>>836666
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ7bbmjtAB0
>>
>>836192
Thanks and a couple of months. I've been taught a lot on hitting pads but I suck at sparring. Most of the guys I spar with are taller and I have trouble landing anything, especially to the head.
>>
>>836790
kicks sure are great
>>
File: photo.jpg (117KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
117KB, 900x900px
>>836666
muay thai doesn't help when you're outnumbered

boxing does

muay thai has shitty hands, and what is the most common attack on the streets?

most thai use outdated training methods, boxers use western science

most assholes can't kick to the head anyway, and even if they can if the other guy is taller it won't work (and why is someone smaller than you going to be picking a fight? they know they'll lose)

kicking has you off balance, which is fine in kickboxing matches where they let you stand up. Look at Weidman v. Rockhold. In self defense you fall on the ground, you better have REALLY good grappling to get back up, or you're going to get treated like a goomba by mario.

boxing is the perfection of logic. it's like a tank. the lower half of your body gets you into position, moves you around, and keeps you out of danger. the hands can fly WHILE you move, which kicks can't do.

as for clinching, sure you can clinch knee one guy, and then enjoy getting punched in the back of the head by his buddies. if it's a 1v1 with no buddies, you should be taking him down, as grappling is the superior 1v1 no weapons martial art.

lower body mobility, upper body hostility anon.
>>
What's the best exercise for developing power in punches/hip mobility? And what can I do by myself to work on footwork/head movement?

Currently home from school for the holidays with no access to a bag of any kind. Have never been to a boxing trainer either, trying to kind of self teach myself this stuff because the boxing club at my school is full of a bunch of softbody nonathletes.
>>
>muay thai doesn't help when you're outnumbered
>boxing does

kek. Why, because of muh footwork? Muay Thai has footwork and it also has a straight kick which keeps people away from you.

>muay thai has shitty hands, and what is the most common attack on the streets?

When will his meme end? Muay Thai has great hands for Muay Thai. If you think it has bad hands, you just don't understand the sport.

>most thai use outdated training methods, boxers use western science

Kek. How about this, tell me what methods that Muay Thai uses to train? I bet you don't know exactly how actually Thai people train. Lots of people who do MT in other countries don't. In fact, in most regards it is very similar to boxing. However, western sport science is shit. It is at best 15 years behind eastern-europe, the true pioneers of sport science.

>most assholes can't kick to the head anyway, and even if they can if the other guy is taller it won't work (and why is someone smaller than you going to be picking a fight? they know they'll lose)

Have you ever heard the phrase: "Manlets, when will they learn?"? I am 6 foot and not specially flexible. I can kick the tallest person at our gym in the head. And who says that you need to kick someone in the head? MT doesn't emphasize head kicks. It emphasizes round kicks to the body (highest scoring move) and straight keeps for distance.

Besides, are you really going to punch someone in the head without gloves on? Have fun breaking your hand chief.
>>
>kicking has you off balance, which is fine in kickboxing matches where they let you stand up. Look at Weidman v. Rockhold. In self defense you fall on the ground, you better have REALLY good grappling to get back up, or you're going to get treated like a goomba by mario.

Weidman didn't fall, he threw a kick he wasn't good at and one that MT doesn't emphasize. He threw it too close and got his back taken.

A lot of kicks really don't leave you off balance. in fact, there is a large difference in the way that high level Thai boxers "round" kick and the way that you are taught to kick as a beginner. There is typically a more upward angle, and less pivot on the ground foot. This is to make the kick faster.

Also, straight kicks to the knee. Very low risk and great for self-defense. If you don't think this is a MT move, you need to re-evaluate your knowledge of the sport.

>boxing is the perfection of logic. it's like a tank. the lower half of your body gets you into position, moves you around, and keeps you out of danger. the hands can fly WHILE you move, which kicks can't do.

You do know that you are allowed to move and punch in MT? MT has a great economy of motion and fights are won and lost on conditioning. Obviously conditioning is very important for boxing, but in MT the late rounds are scored the heaviest. If you are breathing hard and losing form, while the other person isn't - Guess what, you lost. Even if you dominated earlier and are now about even.

Kicks are great for keeping distance. I'm not sure why you are obsessed with a multiple attacker scenario, because clear boxing isn't going to help you as much as running.
>>
>as for clinching, sure you can clinch knee one guy, and then enjoy getting punched in the back of the head by his buddies. if it's a 1v1 with no buddies, you should be taking him down, as grappling is the superior 1v1 no weapons martial art.

Well, first, MT teaches take downs. It sounds like you were implying at the end that it doesn't. Second, there are two aspect to clinching. Clinching and anti-clinching. Not ever fight wants to clinch. If you are arguing that you don't want to clinch in a street fight, then the person who is best equipped to not clinch is the one who knows how to clinch. By training the clinch, you know how to prevent it, and get out once trapped.
>>
Dear god shut the fuck up about Muay Thai/Boxing being better than one or the other. They both are awesome and have both been used in great degrees of efficacy. This is a boxing thread where people are asking if boxing is a good self defense and it is. Muay Thai is also awesome for its own reasons and is proven as such. Christ.

>>837078
Power in punches? Slow down and coordinate your movements better. Drive from your legs through your fist.

Hip mobility? In which way? General flexibility = stretch more. For punching? Practice slipping and pivoting.

>>And what can I do by myself to work on footwork/head movement?

Put something that protrudes at about head level (string, dowel rod, someone else's hand, whatever), and work on slipping around it. Work on slipping and pivoting to create angles.

>>Have never been to a boxing trainer either, trying to kind of self teach myself this stuff because the boxing club at my school is full of a bunch of softbody nonathletes.

You're going to give yourself a bunch of shit habits that an actual boxing trainer is going to hate to unfuck up. Does your boxing club have a trainer that's been working with these guys? If so I guarantee you that most of those "soft body nonathletes" can and will wreck your self-taught shit.

You haven't been taught proper head movement/slipping/footwork and you haven't had someone to correct it, so you're almost definitely going to either practice it wrong or develop other bad habits that leave you open. Jump rope, run, and do a bazillion pushups/situps until you get back and have the club coach teach you technique.
>>
As a person who's practiced both Muay Thai and Boxing, I can say that both have their weaknesses.

Like with Muay Thai it's very hard to cut angles, so most fighters end up trading kicks and punches in the center of the ring.

But in boxing footwork is key, if you see a pure boxer like guillermo rigo do his thing you'll understand what I'm talking about, he can be in front of you and then instantly on the side of you peppering you with shots on some DBZ shit.

I mean I seen Buakaw get absolutely destroyed by boxers for this exact same reason.
>>
>>836994
gr8b8m8
>>
>>837271
Muay Thai is good for the same reasons as Boxing, and then some.
>>
>>837302
>As a person who's practiced both Muay Thai and Boxing, I can say that both have their weaknesses.
Boxing has more weaknesses.
>>
>>837302
>he can be in front of you and then instantly on the side of you peppering you with shots on some DBZ shit.

Lomachenko is a much better example purely for his workrate

he can be in front of you and then instantly on the side of you peppering you with shots on some DBZ shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwQf-g72VNs

I would assume Thai boxers would suffer from a lot of the problems Canelo Alvarez suffers from and thats being unable to do anything unless the opponent is standing right in front of you. We all know that any half decent boxer isn't going to stand in front of anyone.
>>
>>837459
Lots of dancing around set's up low kicks anon.

On the contrast, Thai boxers are very good at getting to the side of their opponents with very simple technique -> Parry, angle off.
>>
You're joking right? Loma has good footwork but he is nowhere near Guillermo's level of skill and finesse in terms of footwork. Guillermo is so god on his feet that he rarely needs to cover up or move his head.
>>
>>837472
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjHV_mURbCQ

Yeah, sure buddy.
>>
>>836666

Boxing.

First of all Boxing is the most important martial art ever: boxing alone works already pretty well for self defense (thousands of videos out there to prove this point).
Second reason: MMA guys as well as Muay Thai guys train pure boxing, because it's been proved to be the single most effective striking art.
Third reason: You'll get the basics pretty fast. Muay Thai takes a lot more time because kicks are difficult and you have a lot more options.

If you know boxing you can easily add kicks later if you feel like it.

Being a very good boxer with rudimentary kicking defense = pretty dangerous guy.
Being a very good kicker with bad defense againt punches = sleep well.

Also this guy >>836994 speaks truth, chances that someone throws a kick at you in the streets are small, and even if someone does you don't just drop dead. But EVERY street fight you'll ever witness will include soeone throwing punches at you. Punching is one of the most important parts of fighting (see the last fight of mcgregor to know what I mean).
>>
File: 1450652573426.gif (4MB, 272x190px) Image search: [Google]
1450652573426.gif
4MB, 272x190px
>>838315
>Second reason: MMA guys as well as Muay Thai guys train pure boxing, because it's been proved to be the single most effective striking art.
Correlation is not causation.
Muay Thai > Boxing.

>Also this guy >>836994 speaks truth, chances that someone throws a kick at you in the streets are small, and even if someone does you don't just drop dead. But EVERY street fight you'll ever witness will include soeone throwing punches at you. Punching is one of the most important parts of fighting (see the last fight of mcgregor to know what I mean).
Except people in the street can't defend kicks for shit.
You can Kick them before then can even think about punching you.
See gif >>808223
and gif related gif.

then see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfnGkV6qmTw
for how much damage you can deal even when you're a small guy but have good kicking technique.
Kicks deal more damage than punches.

>Being a very good kicker with bad defense againt punches = sleep well.
Good luck getting into punching range when against a good kicker. Being a good kicker means good defense in kicking range, you can't get close when the kicker has good defense in kicking range.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPNoGhdhKyw
>>
>>838398
What a retarded fight, of course the muay thai guy is most likely going to win if he is allowed to kick and knee and his opponent doesn't even know how to. If they were only boxing the boxer would most likely win. I am only talking about that fight not about how it doesn't matter who knows what in the streets etc
>>
>>838421
>If they were only boxing the boxer would most likely win.
Exactly, if the fight was less realistic and had more rules, if the fight was more like a sport, and the Boxer trained exclusively in the sport while his opponent trained in a more realistic sport with less rules, the Boxer would win if they were to play that game, most of the time.
>>
File: Muay Thai Beats Boxing.gif (2MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
Muay Thai Beats Boxing.gif
2MB, 260x146px
>>
>>838398

>Correlation is not causation.
>Muay Thai > Boxing.

..and a single observation (case study) means jack shit.

In every thread about boxing and kickboxing this ONE fucking video pops up. There's so many things wrong about taking that into account, I don't even know where to start..

Think about about the learning curve, we don't know how much time both athletes spend on their specific field.

Furthermore the Kickboxer did know boxing, so it's kinda an unfair comparison.

Also anon was asking about street defense, where you where no gloves, have no clear rome to move and a lot of other variables are differnt.

Last but not least I didn't say Muay Thai is bad, I just said that Boxing should be considered as a FOUNDATION of Muay Thai (which is indeed true, I haven't seen a single MT gym that doesn't train boxing).

>Kicks deal more damage than punches.

But are significantly harder to apply, have much more risks (sweeps!) and against many differnt people you want to stay moving (as the other guy already said).

>Good luck getting into punching range

You just charge in and hit the face. Good luck lowkicking a professional boxer while your jaw gets hit with full power.

See, even Muay Thai or Kickboxing guys use 80% punches in street fights (there are billions of videos out there). Kicks have their place and are usefull, but without punch defense you are nothing, that's the important point.
>>
>>838470
>..and a single observation (case study) means jack shit.
Except that's not the only one.
A majority of the time, Muay Thai practitioners beat Boxers.
We can analyze the fights, and we find trends as to why the Muay Thai fighters beat the Boxers.
The video shows an example of a fight between Muay Thai practitioners an Boxers, and breaks down the reasons why Muay Thai practitioners in general beat Boxers in general.
Also remember that studies are based on logic.

>Think about about the learning curve, we don't know how much time both athletes spend on their specific field.
That's why I never said that Muay Thai practitioners will forever and always beat every single Boxing practitioners.
But we have general categories, and in the video, they were both champions. World champion vs International champion.

>Furthermore the Kickboxer did know boxing, so it's kinda an unfair comparison.
The thing is that modern Muay Thai is Boxing, and then some.

Even older styles of Muay Thai have techniques resembling Western Boxing techniques.

>Also anon was asking about street defense, where you where no gloves, have no clear rome to move and a lot of other variables are differnt.
No gloves means that Boxers would more easily break their body than Muay Thai practitioners.
Most Muay Thai is bare shined, bare footed, bare elbowed, and most Muay Thai with gloves have lighter and less padded gloves than most Boxing.
Muay Thai would do better in most street situations for that reason.
Also a majority of "street fights" happen on the streets, where there's generally a lot of room a majority of the time.

>But are significantly harder to apply
That's an exaggeration.
A trained very good kicker, as stated in >>838315
would have a very easy time applying more basic kicks like the front push kick, roundhouse kick, side kick, and variations of those kicks, especially against a Boxer and a majority of people common in street fights.
>>
>>838470
>You just charge in and hit the face. Good luck lowkicking a professional boxer while your jaw gets hit with full power.
I can do that, too.
The professional Muay Thai practitioner just kicks the professional Boxer in the face before he even gets close enough to throw a punch.
Kicking range comes before punching range.

>See, even Muay Thai or Kickboxing guys use 80% punches in street fights (there are billions of videos out there). Kicks have their place and are usefull, but without punch defense you are nothing, that's the important point.
See, that's the point. Modern Muay Thai is basically Boxing but better.
>>
>>838470
>but without punch defense you are nothing
Distancing, or footwork as Boxers like to call it, IS kicking defense. You can use the same footwork to defend against kicks as you do punches. In this way, and more, punch defense IS kick defense.
Kicking alone can be, and is used as, punching defense.

A Muay Thai elbow block that defends against a Muay Thai round kick and hurts the opponent's foot can be used in exactly the same way to defend against a Boxing hook, and it would hurt the opponent's fist.

Muay Thai has bobbing and weaving to defend against kicks just like Boxing has bobbing and weaving to defend against punches.

Muay Thai has the clinch to defend against longer ranged strikes like Boxing, except Muay Thai has weapons just as dangerous as Boxing weapons while being multiple times better in the clinch, weapons that can KO people and TKO people.
>>
>>838398
>>838453
>>838481
>>838483
>>838487
And that's why for the streets, Muay Thai is objectively better than Boxing.
>>
>>838470

>>838487
This.

>>838481
A front snap kick is like a jab, but it has better range and power.

A front push kick is like a cross, but it has better range and power.

A side kick is like Boxing's strongest punch, except it has more range and power.

You can defend against a jab like you can defend against a front snap kick.

You can defend against a cross like you can defend against a front push kick, or a side kick.

You can defend against a full kinetic linking punch like you can defend against a step side kick.

You can defend against a hook like you can defend against a roundhouse kick, wheel kick, hook kick, and even tornado kick.
>>
>tfw no muay thai gyms close enough to me but an abundance of mma and bjj gyms
looks like I'm learning boxing
>>
>>838481

>A majority of the time, Muay Thai practitioners beat Boxers.

Because they also TRAIN BOXING, like I already said. The (traditional) striking way of Muay Thai has very little emphasis on punches, Muay Thai adopted the striking from boxing - which already says a lot.

>Even older styles of Muay Thai have techniques resembling Western Boxing techniques.

No. They have awkward techniques like a double uppercut and so on, but it's nowhere near boxing.

>No gloves means that Boxers would more easily break their body

Is it already time to post the ten millions videos of retired boxers destroying attackers within seconds?

>Muay Thai would do better in most street situations for that reason.

A lot more stuff to think about:
Muay Thai has a lot of attacks against the body, someone in a jacket has already a good padding against that. Boxing is centerd about striking the face, which is unprotected in 99.999..% of all violent encounters.

>A trained very good kicker (...) would have a very easy time applying more basic kicks like the front push kick, roundhouse kick, side kick

First of all kicks are definately slower (not only do you have to travel more distance, but you also can't "evade and strike" or "move foreward and strike" like boxers do the whole time). Also kicks are rarely "show stoppers". Even in the video you posted, the boxer with literally 0 experience in blocking kicks didn't go down on the first kick but mangaged to reposture and attack again a couple of times. And on the streets where you don't have big pillow gloves to defend, one a clean punch can decide it.

>>838483

>Modern Muay Thai is basically Boxing but better.

That's a bad way to put it.

I'm training in (full contact) Karate, so yeah, I think kicks are usefull. But boxing has the best footwork I know and is much faster than kicking.

MT = versatile striking and kicking system with many tools
Boxing = "must have" martial art, training is straight to the point in every possible way
>>
>>838498

I'm training full contact Karate and I can't agree with alot of what you say..

>A front snap kick is like a jab, but it has better range and power.

Jabs are faster and more versatile (distancing, feint, opening, power jab, jab while retreating, ..). Snap kicks are not very dangerous, Jabs are.

>A front push kick is like a cross, but it has better range and power.

You can put a cross in combinations, a front push kick not. A front push kick is easier to see, easier to evade and if you manage to get by with angled footwork ("pass" the kick) you are in a very good position.

>A side kick is like Boxing's strongest punch, except it has more range and power.

Side kicks are powerfull, but tricky and take a lot of practice.

>You can defend against a jab like you can defend against a front snap kick.

Hell no! Try to hurt someone out with a snap kick and try it again with a jab and you'll see the difference.

>You can defend against a cross like you can defend against a front push kick, or a side kick.

Definately not. You have bigger distances and a lot more reaction time to get out of the danger zone.

>You can defend against a hook like you can defend against a roundhouse kick, wheel kick, hook kick, and even tornado kick.

This is slightly more accurate, but still not a good comparison. Starting with the fact that those kicks are meant for bigger distances while hooks are not.
>>
>>838839

Yay!

Don't listen to the naysayers in this thread, boxing is an amazing foundation for fighting..

Whenever you see videos of people destroying whole groups of guys, it's always boxing. In some month you'll be pretty unfuckable with for any non-martial artist out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4cUrszw__4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW4NqooT4wk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_5Wm2C70w8
>>
>>838950
>not only do you have to travel more distance, but you also can't "evade and strike" or "move foreward and strike" like boxers do the whole time

Ahem
>>
>>839002

Maybe TKD is more "boxing like" than Muay Thai in terms of footwork and strategies, but AFAIK even you TKD guys don't counter at the same time, right?

Maybe you already use your evading movement to gain momentum for the counter kick, but in boxing you can literally strike and evade at the same time. Like "moving hands and legs seperately"..
>>
>>839023
TKD has awesome godlike footwork. For TKD.

See, it doesn't matter really what rotational positon you are around me, after all, back and back wheel kick/RH kick, i can basically hit you no matter where you are in relation to me, so people don't circle around. We do move back and forth and occasionally circle to pin people in a corner and push them out

that being said it's not to hard to move rotationally for us.

You can use your momentum for such movements, or you can do it simultaneously

And honestly, TKD counters SHOULD happen as the opponent begins to strike. You have to FEEL the opponent's kick and counter it.

I specialize in the Front Leg Side Kick so it's easier for me to counter my opponent's countering kick.

Not to mention i timed a jump 360 RH kick to my opponent's neck while he tried to back kick me

What you're describing with your first line is proly closest to the hopping front leg side kick. you move while chambering the kick and kick once you touch the ground. Very fast very powerful. Amazing power to the body.

There's also bwheel which is done in the moving direction while performed jumping.

TKD is very evolved compared to shotokan and other karate ofshoots, moreso then savate or whatever 1000 year old martial art you want to bring up. It is the world's largest martial art with Olympic level competition. Do you have any idea how fuckpossible it is to even call yourself World Level competition in TKD?
>>
>>839036

Frankly I prefer to argue about martial arts I've trained myself (I which alot more guys on /asp/ would do that) and I have never trained in TKD.

From what I've seen the meta game in TKD is a lot differnt from Karate, a lot of baiting and countering and so on..

Don't get me wrong, of course there's timing in Karate (like there's one guy in my Dojo who often sweeps me of my feet) and there are also "counter fighters", I also countered hick roundhouse kicks with straight kicks a few times (by "kicking into the kick"), but most of the time you just try to throw something very powerfull very fast at the other guy, ideally right though his defense. This is also knows as "slugfest" and pretty close to the Muay Thai approach.. :)

Boxing feels completely differnt for me, but then again I'm not a good boxer and still have to learn a lot here. But even at my level boxing is already more complicated than kicking in terms of strategy and everything. Like you can't just spam power blows like there were no tomorrow in boxing without punishment. Or maybe it's just me.
>>
>>839036
From what I've seen (and felt in sparring/bouts) TKD has pivot and linearity down about 80% of what you've got in boxing, which is relatively good compared to kickboxing or muay thai which have a much less precise grasp of these elements; but the ability of TKD guys to properly use angles and straight blasts is almost completely null in footwork seeing how it's mostly footwork associated with boxing, escapes used with leg probing and offensives that go along hand traps. Legs just aren't as versatile as the ultimate autonomated object that hands are.
>>
>be cyclist
>188 cm (6'2"), 73 kg (160 lbs)
>strong legs and core, weak arms and upper body (did some weight lifting lately but nothing serious)
>excellent stamina

Which discipline would be good for me if I have the option of boxing, kickboxing and muay thai? I know jack shit about martial arts so any advice would be great.
>>
>>839387
Strong legs and core, and excellent stamina is good for all of those martial arts.
Muay Thai would make you a better fighter in general, though.
>>
>>839387
If you're not biased toward an art, whichever has the best instruction in your area. Check them all out personally. Someone else here can probably give you some of the differences to consider.
>>
>>838979
>Don't listen to the naysayers in this thread, boxing is an amazing foundation for fighting..
It really isn't. It's just better than nothing.

>>838979
>Whenever you see videos of people destroying whole groups of guys, it's always boxing.
That's because of how cheap and available it is.
Boxing is like cereal.
Cereal gets the job done, but it's not a well balanced and delicious breakfast. Cereal isn't going to keep you healthy into old age like a well balanced breakfast will.

>In some month you'll be pretty unfuckable with for any non-martial artist out there.
Training in anything is better than nothing.
>>
>>838962
>nitpicking
>or just being too stupid to look at similarities
>>
>>838839
I'm sorry for your loss.
You could've been a much better fighter if you just lived somewhere else.
>>
>>839428
>>839434

Thanks, I'll ask around and see who's the best. No particular preference although I was kinda leaning towards boxing, mostly because it would force me to work more on my upper body.
>>
>>839566
>mostly because it would force me to work more on my upper body.
Your legs are more important in all of those martial arts, especially Boxing.
Just do some pushups and pullups.
>>
>>838950
Boxing is a good supplemental art, Muay Thai is a good base art.
>>
File: o-YODA-facebook.jpg (385KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-YODA-facebook.jpg
385KB, 2000x1000px
>>839438

Are you trying to ruse anyone ? It's not because boxers literally wreck everyone in da street that you have to be So insecure buddy, remember that you guys are still better in the ring/cage :^)
>>
>box for 2 months
>leave because no time/gf
>felt great to box

Now that I don't have a gf anymore, should I go again?
Would the trainer still take me seriously?
>>
Who is the best boxer ever [spoiler]and why is it Prince Naseem?[/spoiler]
>>
>>839090
There are people who do use boxing style footwork in TKD

last one i fought lost like 0-6.

So yeah, it's a thing there boxing doesn't work in TKD< but TKD kinda sorta works in boxing

Really, TKD is good because it focuses on legs. It's hard to use the legs to move and strike at the same time, but also, the TKD guy will be much more able to kick from a boxing stance then the boxer will be able to box from a TKD stance
>>
>>839769
Yes you should.

No, they won't unless you show earnest dedication over a period of time.
>>
>>839438

>It really isn't. It's just better than nothing.

Right, that's why literally every fucking MMA guy on the world trains it, why kickboxers as well as Nak Muay train it, why it's taught to police, military, special forces...

Boxing is one of the best martial art out there, stay trolling. You literally can't overestimate boxing, look at the last fight of mcGregor..

>>839521

No, your comparison just sucks.

The differences are much bigger than the similarities. Boxing is twice the speed of kicking, it's much more difficult to defend against punches than against kicks. With kicks you can keep your guard up the whole time, with puches you have to open up or get into a differnt distance.

>>839695

No.

If you have shitty hands you go to sleep, is this so hard to get?

Just look at MMA, how often get people KO'd by kicks? You can be a pretty dangerous fighter without kicks, but you can't be dangerous without punches.

>>839847

>boxing doesn't work in TKD but TKD kinda sorta works in boxing

Unless you are allowed to box, TKD works great. Not even kidding.

The simple reason is, kicking is just more difficult than boxing. Also it' easier to get from kicking distance into punching distance then the other way arround, because once you are in punching distance you can't move freely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXE5mixVJNI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF_rrGlqgO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbNy9qwYThI
>>
tkd is bad because you don't keep your hands up
>>
So I've been boxing a year and a half and have been constantly bothered by one thing.

Uppercuts, I feel awkward and uncomfortable throwing them and can never seem to get them to work for me. Has anyone else had this problem starting up?
>>
>>842222
ask you training partners to hold the focus mits and work on the timing to hit the uppercut.

uppercuts are the go to for guys with shorter arms. and are great counters to people who like to clinch or use the over hands.
>>
>>841222
>being this deluded
I'm not even going to argue with you.
>>
>>842222
I knew a guy that wanted to justify his muscle imbalance, and make him feel better about his disproportionally exercised biceps.
He said that the most important muscles for uppercuts were the biceps.
The biceps aren't the most important muscle for uppercuts.

Stories aside, just keep training. Analyze people using them, think critically about how people use them, and try them out while sparring more. Make sure to stay focused, especially when you're trying to use them. Focus is important.
>>
File: future.jpg (91KB, 593x960px) Image search: [Google]
future.jpg
91KB, 593x960px
>>842402

Because you simply can't
>>
>>839847
I was actually talking to a BJJ brown belt friend of mine about this today, how I believe the base of every martial art is in the hands. The hand is precision. While the legs are power, and the threat of power is always an extremely useful resource, there just is no interchange that can justify the fact that a good boxer will do good in any striking system, whereas you can take a world class TKD guy and have them barely be able to fight a low level kickboxer.
>>
>>843887
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPNoGhdhKyw
>>
File: Boxing is a Sport.jpg (166KB, 863x665px) Image search: [Google]
Boxing is a Sport.jpg
166KB, 863x665px
>>843887
Just like how this this World and National Boxing champion did good in Kickboxing vs this Kickboxing and Muay Thai world champion?

>>
>>843978

Pretty staged, look at the place where they are fighting (Korea) and the level of the athlete "Oh he's comnig at me, I guess I just wait here"..

I can also show you chinese videos of how Kung Fu kicks ass against Judo/Boxing/Whatever, that doesn't mean it's actually real.

Those videos here >>841222 are more unbiased.

>>844020

See:
>>838470

>In every thread about boxing and kickboxing this ONE fucking video pops up. There's so many things wrong about taking that into account, I don't even know where to start..
>>
>>844020
so can I post the weidman vs rockhold fight everytime someone tells me kicking is a good idea, and it suddenly shuts down all conversation?

a boxer that knows how to defend kicks will wreck a kickboxer that has shitty hands.
>>
>>844020
I don't think you understand the level of skill you need to have to trade strikes with a world champion. That same mauling that Ignashov put on Williams, I've seen olympic level Taekwon Do guys receive from guys who were just making their pro debut in kickboxing; guys who would've been first round knocked out by Ignashov any day of the week.
>>
So, i've never really been a big fan of boxing, but i really like it, i think it's one of the coolest fighting sports out there
Buuuut as i've said, i've never been a big fan before, so i ask you guys:what should i watch? where should i start?
I can't star practicing it till march tho, since my feet is fucked up
>>
>>844325
First learn proper guard position.

Then learn proper footwork, how to step forwards, backwards, side to side, pendulum step, etc.

Then learn to defend with both hands, parrying or what not.

Then learn how to throw punches the correct way.

Master the basics before you move on to anything else.
>>
File: 8819284_f260.jpg (16KB, 260x232px) Image search: [Google]
8819284_f260.jpg
16KB, 260x232px
>>844325
>>844640
>First learn proper guard position.
Know that there are many different Western Boxing stances.
Anon here is probably referring to Orthodox.
>>
>>844764
I think I am southpaw, I tried standing in the orthodox position and it felt awkward but southpaw feels right. Any advantages/disadvantages to this?
>>
Any good boxing theory videos like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO11bqOrbTY
>>
>>844947
No, you need a comfortable side just to begin with. Everyone's different. Ultimately it will determine how you approach fighting orthodox or southpaw fighters. Some have the dexterity to do both (see Marvin Hagler) but it depends on how you train and what works for you.

At any rate don't worry about that shit yet because you haven't even started
>>
>>800528
Going to be a great fight that will no doubt go 12 rounds. Will be my first and only PPV buy
Thread posts: 225
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.