[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Muay Thai General.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (7KB, 212x238px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 212x238px
Muay Thai General.

1st edition. Atleast i had never seen one.

Q&A, where's your gym, equipment, why is handwraps such a pain,

Anyone with competition experience are VERY welcomed to share

Warrior collective, best MT channel on YT.

https://youtu.be/CnMRNlRuu54
>>
If someone uses Muay Thai attacks and defenses, but not Muay Thai stances, is the person still doing Muay Thai?
>>
>>797474
Kickboxing. Or maybe he evolved out of his stance.
>>
Bumping for mtg not dying immediately again.

https://youtu.be/2Z8k0lIpKjA
>>
Hey guys, so I'm training in Muay Thai as of now, but when it gets near to Easter and Summer I move away for work (from England to Wales).

Pretty much what I was wondering was i heard there was a few kickboxing gyms near the area I live in my other home (Wales) but also found a place that teaches Gracie Jiu-Jitsu.

What would the best place to train while I'm away? Would it benefit me to do kickboxing whilst I'm gone and just work on my kicks and clinches, or should I try and collect some grappling techniques? I've been meaning to get into grappling after a while of MT, but of course will always keep up MT. Or perhaps it'd be a good idea to just train myself and follow the basic drills I've been shown/taught. Although wouldn't I benefit more from sparring?
>>
Also Q&A:

Gym: http://www.warrington-thaiboxing.com

Equipment: cheap £35 gloves from the club (they're not too bad actually!) getting some RDX shin guards in a few days. And at home I have some RDX Thai mitts for either parent to use with me or mainly friends when they train with me. Also got a fairtex 6ft bag.

Hand wraps: never used them, to be honest I've not had a problem yet. But we've mostly been working on kicks and clinches, but we do incorporate jabs into mitt work as well, and we've just started sparring. Keep in mind I've been doing MT for a month and a bit now.
>>
>>798298
Give the grappling a try for a while and see if you like it. BJJ blue belt here, ask me anything.
>>
>>798443
Hey, I think I'll begin cross training with BJJ next year thanks. What are the first few sessions like? And what were they like for you?
>>
i support /mtg/.
>>
>>798298
What i find is that most mma gym doesn't teach true muay thai. Some don't even incorporate clinching and sweeps into their repertoire. I suggest training on muay thai solely for atleast half a year before taking BJJ.
>>
>>797474
Look, we all have two legs and two arms there is a limited way to move those
>>
>>798774
I was considering that at first, and you make a great point, I agree. Someone I know who's been doing MMA for a good while and also his brother I think is really good at it said the sooner the better. Or something along the lines of "why wouldn't you?". But I think I'm gonna play it safe as you said, and just wait for at least 6 months to a year.
>>
>>798445
>What are the first few sessions like?
You're really just working on basic caressing and hugging. It's not what you think of when you think of BJJ just yet. Once you get into the advanced stuff, that's when you get started on the dick sucking.
>>
Also, how easy is it to keep up training in Muay Thai when you can't go the the club/class? I figure I'll keep up the drills and try lots of shadow boxing of course. But I probably would be set back a lot after at least 2-3 months or so gone. But I imagine with a bit of time it'll go into sparring again easily?

I suppose what a good question here is, how long can someone maintain skill and technique without sparring and only using shadow boxing?
>>
>>798790
Heh.
>>
>>798774
>>798789
>train half a year.

Train half a year and you will be barely competent in the sport, train a full year unless you want striking to always be a weakness.

Someone who trains several times a week at something will never beat someone who trains every day, just as someone who trains every day between two style will never be as good as someone who trains every day at one.

If you split between Muay Thai and BJJ, someone who has beet boxing for comparatively the same amount of hours will defeat you with foot placement.

Striking is an important foundation for hand/eye coordination, depth perception and reflexes.

To glaze over it would be to undermine yourself. Although the same could be said of any style you undertake.

Train hard.
>>
>>797367
Is it possible to kick with your head fid for thought hiuiu nignog up in this hizhouse jerrt macguire
>>
>>798920
Actually, Yes it is.
But I would not recommend it during sparring, because it is bad sportsmanship.
>>
>>798774
the reason MMA doesnt practice "true" muay thai is because of takedowns and groundfighting, if you clinch, you're most likely gonna be taken down, and they can throw you legally in different ways that you are allowed to do in muay thai, plus the fight keeps going on the ground. So MMA gyms have to change the grappling aspects of muay thai to suit their sport better
>>
>>798918
>Someone who trains several times a week at something will never beat someone who trains every day
Unless the person who trains several times a week is more intelligent and can improve more quickly than the person who trains every day.

You're assuming that everybody is equal. That is very wrong.
>>
>>798918
Hmm, you make a good point, I suppose I should properly refine my style and get it to a really good standard. So I am a confident striker. I'll take grappling up much later, thanks a lot for the help!
>>
>>798944
Intelligence is a big factor. But i think if it's in the case of, if you, the person, trains several times a week with other stuff but doesn't refine a core style, then they are in general weaker and only should move to other stuff when they you have got all the basics of (in this case) striking down.
>>
Any kickboxers care to fill me in on kyokushin karate. Your opinion on it's effectiveness?. Is it a good art to learn?
>>
>>799398

- KK is a lot more well rounded in kicking than MT

- KK trains your body to be a fucking tank; bare fisted, nigga

- KK often spars full contact, which is extremely often goo for excelling in full contact sports

- Do I dare say that KK hands are better than MT hands?

- KK doesn't train head attack and defense well, though it's still decent for it allows head kicks

- KK could use some more defense in general

- KK could use some more grappling

- Did I mention that KK kicking is more well rounded than MT?

>is it a good art to learn
In my opinion, these arts like Boxing, MT, KK, etcetera are good for the history books, but all are limited.
It's 2015, people should be practicing hybrid martial arts; advanced hybrid martial arts.
>>
>- KK trains your body to be a fucking tank; bare fisted, nigga
>>799412
I'm no expert on KK but muay Thais knees and kicks are a lot stronger than punches so if you're body isn't a tank you're gonna lose pretty fast
>>
>>798960

There's a lot of opinions out there.. Some people say "train at least 5 years before cross training", some say you can start at the same time. You have to find out what works for YOU.

I have started in Grappling and started a complimentary striking/kicking art one year later. I foudn out that it took a lot of discipline in the first few weeks, and that it was a mess in my head for the first month, because you constantly change your mindset. But after a month it started to work out really well and right now I'm enjoying cross trianing a lot, because the different feelings.

So if you feel like you can handle the additional training schedule, you could give it a try. Just expect that your "primary style" will suffer a littel bit for the first weeks, because new stuff requires more attention. But if you feel like you could maintain your current level in MT with less effort, I see no reason why you should wait. Just make sure you feel "safe" with the basics, because you won't get better at MT for the first few weeks when you cross train..
>>
>>799398

>Any kickboxers care to fill me in on kyokushin karate.

Pretty close to Muay Thai.
Minus the head punches, ellbows and clinching.
Plus much more ways to kick and the fancy pyjamas.

>Your opinion on it's effectiveness?

KK is a very good foundation, but you have to round it up with some training for the hands (kickboxing or plain Boxing). It's nto uncommon for KK guys to cross train or compete in Kickboxing.

IMHO MT is slyightly more "effective", because you already have all the tools you need, but if you want some more Kicks and more "body contact" KK is also a very good system.

>Is it a good art to learn?

Depending on your interests. KK makes you very very tough and you'll become a very good kicker from all angles and distances. As a stand alone system it has severe disadvantages to MT because of the missing punch defenses, and the clinching game.

Look for some "Muay Thai vs. Kyokushin" matches, the Muay Thai guys can never "outkick" the Karateka and you'll never see a Karate guy going down from a hit to the body, but once they start using punches to the face it's over for the Karate guy.
>>
>>798298
Welshfag here. Where you moving to?

It all comes down to what you're interested in. For about 3 week i tried doing 2 nights of BJJ and 2 nights of kickboxing but i realised my heart wasn't in bjj so now i do 4 nights of kickboxing.

I think you'd be better off sticking to one thing and perfecting that rather than drowning yourself in many different arts.
>>
>>799543
It's up in north Wales mate, I've always lived up there due to family business but only seasonally. Barmouth, Talybont. One of the places seems like a McDojo though :/ http://cpmaa.co.uk
>>
>>799783
>royce gracie jiu jitsu
>Head instructor employs wife as co-instructor
>numerous women instructors with belts in creative fighting systems rather than an actual art

Yeh that definitely looks like a mcdojo to me. Their reviews here aren't very good either : http://dojos.co.uk/ChrisPritchardsMartialArtsCaernarfon/Reviews.aspx

It's a shame I can't recommend anywhere because i'm from down south. Hope you find somewhere decent anon
>>
I'm thinking of taking up mma, then every year or two travel to Thailand for a couple months to learn MT. Thoughts?
>>
>>799876
Thank you, also the head coach is a "5th Dan" and has apparently won many national tournaments :|

If I can't find a decent place I might just keep up training and try survive with no sparring or cross-training.
>>
>>799940
I did the same thing and ended up living there. You'll increase by leaps and bounds but they'll reteach you everything from the ground up
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.