[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FMA

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: kali.jpg (44KB, 300x287px) Image search: [Google]
kali.jpg
44KB, 300x287px
Hey, Let's start a filipino martial arts thread
>>
ok then, fiber glass, wood, or bamboo?
>>
I like much more wood or bamboo instead of fiber glass
>>
Doug Marcaida, anyone?
>>
>>754812

Probably the best kali instructor i have seen on youtube
>>
File: New-Age_Technology.jpg (78KB, 1045x525px) Image search: [Google]
New-Age_Technology.jpg
78KB, 1045x525px
>>
Is it possible to use fma sword techniques on a katana?
>>
>>754967
The stick is kind of like a short sword or machete.
The techniques might carry over more easily if you were to use a ninjato.
>>
>>754799
No rattan? Or is this a combative purpose rather than practice?
>>
>>754967
Maybe a larga mano/kampilan sword style but a more sturdy blade would be a better choice.
>>
>>754764
http://wildgeesema.com/ how do these guys look for FMA, worth my money?
>>
>>754967
If you're going with a two handed sword what you would use would be closer to filipino staff techniques.
>>
>>754855
>foam padding
Wow, no better way to scream "I'm a pussy" than that.
>>
>>756950
Obviously for sparring, bitch tits
>>
>>757020
Like I said, it's for pussies. The real practitioners of FMA, especially the ones in the provinces, dont use those pussy ass paddings. It makes your senses numb to the potential hurt a whack could bring. It makes you lower your defenses. Getting hit by a stick hurt. That's why you try your best to avoid it. Even the grandmasters tell you that.

The god damn pussification of the old arts is an embarassment. I thought the pillow armor was the worst the modernization of arnis could bring. Now this. Christ.
>>
>>757083
and most of them have dislocated fiingers and permanent nerve damage especially to the joints and they can't perform as well in their younger years.
sparring with rattan sticks is practiced on our organization but only for veterans mostly because they know how to avoid and approach it.

> It makes your senses numb to the potential hurt a whack could bring
how fat are your padded sticks there? honestly I practice here in the philippines and the wooden core and thin padding is more than enough to make your partner know how to hit decently.

all in all it's not very good to start with sparring with wooden sticks especially for new comers since they'll just do hit and run tactics because they know it hurts.

I do agree with the pussification though I hate full armor sparring that's why I only spar with headgear, crotch guard and gloves.
>>
>>754967
it's actually very applicable oddly enough my coach was dicking around and made some longer than usual padded sticks so we did a small tournament on it.

the only thing is that I'm so used to extending my shoulders to extend my reach that I forget that my other hand is holding the sword so it gets akward when you forget that you're using a 2 handed sword.
>>
>>755038
I've never used anything but rattan it's good for both no point on spending on expensive sticks really.
>>
>>757108
>more than enough to make your partner know how to hit decently.
jesus christ
I mean more than enough to make you limp if your partner knows how to hit.

I really need to check my post before posting it.
>>
>>754967
FMA is designed to be applicable to any one handed, more or less straight, rigid weapon. This includes short swords, not so much katanas. It'd help more than no training, though.
>>
Is Kali effective for self-defence? I only train in bjj and was wondering if it would be effective to cross train them together.
>>
>>757371

>Is Kali effective for self-defence?

Yes and no.

If you want quick results you're better off with boxing. If you find a Kali school you shood see if they do sparring. If they do, it's definately worth doing it.

FMA is not amazing in defense, but is amazing in offense. To illustrate the difference:

>boxer get attacked with knife
>stepping out blocking with arm
>get stabbed at the arm but punch him in the face
>attaker goes down
>boxer in hospital, but you survived

>Kali guy gets attacked with knife
>grabs ashtray, throws at him
>grabs billiard cue
>beat the other guy till he goes down

So boxing is better for self defense in terms of "some dudes want trouble and I knock them out". Kali is effective for self defense in terms of "some dudes try to kill me but I kill them faster."
>>
File: image.png (632KB, 500x754px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
632KB, 500x754px
>>754855
I prefer the ones from Calimacil much more. I tried the ones in your pic and the cores shattered after just a few sparring sessions. The Calimacil ones hold up very well.
>>
>>758061
Kali treats each incoming strike like there's an edged weapon in the hand. The objective? Don't get stabbed, end your opponent.

Boxing treats each incoming strike like a punch. The objective? Get punched a little bit but punch the other guy more.

If you're playing fisticuffs and your assailant is playing knifey-spooney, you're probably going to get fucked up.

So, yeah, pretty much this:
>So boxing is better for self defense in terms of "some dudes want trouble and I knock them out". Kali is effective for self defense in terms of "some dudes try to kill me but I kill them faster."
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.