/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was South Park so over during the attitude era?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 12

Why was South Park so over during the attitude era?
>>
File: smoh joe.jpg (65KB, 1227x592px) Image search: [Google]
smoh joe.jpg
65KB, 1227x592px
Eh Teen Plus
>>
Everything edgy was over during that time period.
>>
18+

Barely old enough to remember the attitude era and I know how huge south park, WWF and ICP were
>>
>>3114418
Why wasn't King of the Hill or The Simpsons as over as South Park in WWF? I know the Simpsons had been going for awhile at that point but you get what I mean.
>>
File: TheOddities.jpg (40KB, 381x440px) Image search: [Google]
TheOddities.jpg
40KB, 381x440px
>>3114409
Because of John Tenta AKA Golga
>>
>>3114459
South Park debuted just a year or so prior and obviously would be more over with the attitude era fans than King of the Hill
>>
Because when you were a kid in the 90s your life was pokemon south park and wwf/wcw
The 90s was the last great decade.
>>
>>3114459
Not edgy enough. When Simpsons was on the Tracy Ulman show Simpsons was considered edgy but by the late nineties, Nope.
>>
>>3114409
That's when it came out.
Plus "The Oddities".
>>
File: 3BjFqVZe_400x400.jpg (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
3BjFqVZe_400x400.jpg
21KB, 400x400px
>>3114459
Also this is around yhe time simpsons stopped being cool. By now skinner was like lol my whole lifes a lie and there became a dip in quality that only grew worse.
If it was over the top loud vulgar violent and offensive it was over in the late 90s.
Niggas thought we were dying we had no cboice but 5o be xtreme.
>>
>oldfag
>watch first south park episode with dad
>he turns it off
>not allowed to watch it anymore
>have to borrow tapes of episodes from friend and watch South Park when family is out
>>
>>3114459
read it gain the Simpsons and King of the Hill weren't edgy, Hell the Simpsons had mellow "lesson learned" ending every other show back then.
>>
>>3114537
Same thing happened when the South Park movie came out with me.
Watched it with the family, they turned it off not long after it started... then they sold my Eminem and Dr. Dre CDs because I was acting out and using vulgar language.
>>
>>3114409
ffuck that gets me nostalgic of the first couple of seasons of south park when it was actually good and not a reddit-tier meme show
>>
>>3114571

Remember Jackass?

My sister wouldmt let me eatch either. Watched it next to my parents once. Big mistake. (one of them shat on the other guy while he was sleeping in the car)
>>
>>3114459
Simpson were already turning to shit by 98 and 99
>>
>>3114409
Because that was SP's golden era. It was fucking hilarious.
>>
File: 1497842073201.jpg (115KB, 892x664px) Image search: [Google]
1497842073201.jpg
115KB, 892x664px
Whats up 90s bros yo member how good we had it?
These little shits and future little shit will never have what we had growing up.
Almost everything in the 90s was fucking cool and if wasnt you didnt hear about it.
>>
>>3114773
based vegas vacation
>>
>>3114766
this and it went with the whole 90's, edgy attitude era theme
>>
File: image.png (241KB, 604x463px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
241KB, 604x463px
>>3114773
>>
>>3114773
I wouldn't say it was all good, not being able to use the Internet and the phone at the same time fucking sucked
>>
>>3114773
Based, I miss the golden days
>>
>>3114773

You're now aware that more people watched Nitro at the end, when there was another wrestling product on basic cable, than watch RAW today, when it's the ONLY wrestling product on basic cable
>>
>>3114782
Papagiorgio drew all the dimes.
>>
>>3114494
That sounds pretty fucking comfy.
>>
>>3114494
i don't envy the kids anymore, seems like a nightmare out there now
>>
>>3115302
>Kid here
reported
>>
>>3115302
theirs no point in living like that anymore, just give up and wait to die because it wont ever get better
>>
>>3114865
That looks like 1999 ratings, when WCW was still not completely horrible. WCW by 2001 was getting like 2.3 on average.
>>
>>3114409
>South Park signs
>Foley is God signs
Truly an edgy time to live in
>>
>>3114409
That was back when South Park actually was creative rather than edgy for the sake of it
>>
File: sad keanu.jpg (45KB, 540x373px) Image search: [Google]
sad keanu.jpg
45KB, 540x373px
>>3114494
Take me back
Please
>>
>>3114494
This is true. This is before facebook twitter and YouTube as well so for the majority of fans their was still a lot of suspense and hype every week. From the loneliest nerds to the chaddest of chads, everyone watched south park , wwf and owned a gameboy.

Pic related; anyone had one of these?
>>
>>3114672
>sister decides what I can watch
rope + neck, my friend
>>
>>3115413
South Park is way less "edgy" now than it was in the late 90s
>>
>>3115580
Probably doesn't help that she was my younger sister (3 years). Ironically enough, she also got me into smoking cigarettes.
>>
>>3115333
>trips of truth
that phrase should be at the top of the screen in one of those 4chan banners
>>
>>3114526
>he fell for the "skinner's life is a lie" episode was the reason for the decline meme
maybe stop watching crappy video essays and get a clue
>>
File: 0b08d01ff38d324aadb78b3aac99492b.jpg (488KB, 923x1040px) Image search: [Google]
0b08d01ff38d324aadb78b3aac99492b.jpg
488KB, 923x1040px
>>3114459
Here's some simpsons for ya
>>
>>3115602
well go consult the mods
>>
>>3115589
>getting bulled by your younger sister
how?
>>
>>3114459
Simpsons was already into season 9 by 97 and was already past it's golden age (although they did manage a few gold episodes like Simpsons Tide). The fans & writers had moved on to Futurama, while Fox continued to milk the Simpsons for all it's worth.

South Park was fresh & white hot. In the space of about 6 months after first airing in the US it became a massive cult (or viral, to use a phrase coined recently) smash hit, that left parents & teachers trying to get it banned, refusing to let kids watch it. Schools banned any merchandise/t-shirts from the show, mainstream media couldn't understand it at all.

I had to secretly tape it like it was a movie with heaps of softcore sex, mum hated it while my dad didn't get it but still found it funny.

"Terrance and Phillip in Not Without My Anus" airing instead of resolving the Cartman's mom cliffhanger left millions SEETHING, worked dozens of critics into shoots, and then drew 6+ million viewers when they aired it after all.

It's no co-incidence that Raw had it's biggest ever rated episodes around the same time that South Park became incredibly popular. They also shared the same demographics.

The first ever album I bought (earned by helping my dad who was a construction worker) cleaning rubbish for 10 hours, I got the South Park Chef Aid album.

If Seinfeld & Friends captured the cultural zeitgeist for 20-35 year olds in the 90's & Roseanne did it for 40+ adults with kids, South Park was it for teenagers.

Then 9/11 happened & South Park became just another part of the establishment (it didn't help that by season 5 they had already saturated merchandising to the point they were able to satirise their own merch with Towelie). WCW was dead & the invasion started and the attitude era for Wrestling and in western culture was dead.
>>
File: shopping.jpg (27KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
shopping.jpg
27KB, 560x420px
>>3115577
Forgot the pic
>>
>>3115639
I bought the Christmas album lol

https://youtu.be/iFNqvcTtfz8
>>
>>3115611
Season 9 is pretty shite in general, the writing is parody of itself
>>
>>3115611
>maybe stop watching crappy video essays and get a clue
18+ that episode was shit & everyone knew the show's quality period had ended the moment it aired
>>
>>3115653
Holy shit imagine the heat they would get if they tried to put this song on the air today
>>
>>3115639
>The fans & writers had moved on to Futurama
maybe the writers did. But Futurama never drew big dimes.
>>
>>3114409
2010's 'culture' will never be relevant, and we all know that is the real reason you're still talking about it. From a million Cyrus/Bieber albums to a million Frog/feel posts, we all see through the facade of terrified unoriginality, including those who weren't alive to see when things were better.
>>
>>3115712
pathetic defeatest attitude, if the world today sucks it's because of people like you
>>
>>3115653

Comfy memories of playing this on Christmas morn with the whole family laughing their asses off.

>ywn get to experience those days again ;_;
>>
>>3114773
>the 90s was the golden age of kids television

There's no longer any Saturday morning cartoons
>>
>>3115740
I take it /asp/ has filled the void left by Saturday morning cartoons as it relates to the manchildren who most frequently browse it
>>
>>3115723
What are you talking about? What did I say that's defeatist? It sounds like the truth just hurts your feelings. I sspecifically mentioned two things that anyone who knows music and 4chan respectively would agree has been bad. I didn't attack you personally, but I can tell you're a millennial if you think you can "stand up" for your generation by telling people who face facts they're defeatists.
>>
>>3115790
even on 4chan you expose yourself as a weakling
>>
South Park was massive in 1998/99, obviously still popular now, but in that specific very late 90s, very early 00s period I saw their stuf everywhere.

I watched a little bit of it back then but was quite young, I tried rewatching it today and the first two or three seasons are great but I found myself losing interest after that - turns out the movie had been released by then and it felt like they lost the edginess in return for some self-conscious sense of how big the show had become.
>>
File: IMG_2767.jpg (26KB, 306x245px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2767.jpg
26KB, 306x245px
>>3115617
Did somebody say simpsons?
>>
>>3115725
There goes Geoffrey Donner, with a festive Christmas ham, after he's had sex it with he'll eat up all he can!

https://youtu.be/mmaMfXwlq90
>>
>>3116306
Best https://youtu.be/mnzVq2t7bi4
>>
>>
What was the site that used to make these? Kenny's Castle or something along those lines.
>>
>>3116599
Kennys Krib

I rememeber being in school printing them out and getting in trouble for it
>>
>>3115639
>South Park became just another part of the establishment (it didn't help that by season 5

I actually like how South Park evolved. At first the jokes were more random, kinda reminds me Family Guy, then the jokes appear to be more clever and deep.
>>
>>3116867
Part of the problem with south park is it started losing it's own identity. Lately they forget that the cast is mostly children and rarely touch on the fact. The show is two decades old now so it had to evolve, but like everything that goes through format changes there's always people who are going to prefer it the old way even if they admit it was a dead end.

Like seriously, how many times could kenny die before it's just filler for the episode?
>>
>>3114537
ur dad is a faggot, i used to watch it with my old man when i was like 8
>>
>>3116599
I never understood why they had kid proportions when South Park also had adults
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.