[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't the WWE create characters like this in 2017?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 6

File: scsa.jpg (77KB, 700x696px) Image search: [Google]
scsa.jpg
77KB, 700x696px
Why can't the WWE create characters like this in 2017?
>>
There aren't very many actual men left that could pull off these characters
>>
There aren't as many drunken hicks watching anymore to relate to it.
>>
The WWE wanted The Ringmaster. Austin created Stone Cold. Thus, it's all the talent's fault for not getting over.
>>
Because they micromanage everything, down to the exact words in all of your promos and the structure of all of your matches and if you do everything they say and don't get over, they'll bury you for not grabbing the brass ring, but if you try to do your own thing, they'll bury you for not doing what you're told. They'll have someone lose in their hometown, get squashed, get mocked and humiliated constantly, or they'll give somebody a gimmick like "Kurt Angle's Illegitimate Black Son" and when the audience rejects it, they'll blame it on that person.

I mean, uh, vanilla midgets. It's because of vanilla midgets.
>>
>>3103859
Based post
>>
>>3103831
Stone Cold created his own character as has every FOTC. Now nobody has the freedom to do that. and Vince himself is shit at creating anything.
>>
File: duhduh.jpg (97KB, 960x620px) Image search: [Google]
duhduh.jpg
97KB, 960x620px
>>
>>3103887
>Every other FOTC made their own character and got over on their own before becoming the FOTC
>The current FOTC had his character made for him and was pushed to become the FOTC before the audience had accepted him as such.
Goddamn, why are ratings so low? It makes no sense.
>>
>>3103831
Add sleeves and a big collar to that vest and you literally have Finn Balor.
>>
>>3103859
This

See also Zach Ryder
>>
>>3103947
Finn balor has no catchprazes or good promos or good t shirts or anything.

Problem is the Indy and Roh types shitting up the ring, like a regular bag of potato chips.
>>
>>3103947
Finn Balor is a homosexual 1950's greaser, nothing at all like Austin
>>
Reminder that Vince McMahon was furious and started screaming at Braun Strowman because he said title shot instead of title match
>>
>>3103996
why is Vince so goddamn autistic about what certain words and phrases can and cannot be used on his kids show?
>>
>>3103831
You don't create a Stone Cold brother.
>>
>implying WWE created Stone Cold in 1996
>>
WWE never created Stone Cold though..

it was all Austin, he even made the Austin 3:16 t shirt by himself
>>
reminder that Vince saw Austin as mid card for life

Shane and Pat are the ones who pushed for Austin to be the guy
>>
>>3103961
t. has never watched any wrestling show without a WWE logo in the corner of the screen
>>
>>3103831
They have baron corbin who's functionally the same pissed off baldy but with much worse booking
>>
>>3104936
>>3103961
>>3103947
Bit off topic but anyone got that gif of Balor doing a nazi salute?
>>
>>3103831
nu-male fanbase
>>
>>3103831
Estrogen in the water
>>
Too much scripting. If attitude era stars had started today we would be stuck with the ringmaster, rocky maivia, and hunter Hearst Helmsley, meanwhile the crowd reacting to them in the exact opposite way the commentators say they are reacting.
>>
>>3103831
CUTE
>>
>>3103831
Stone cold's entire gimmick would fall out be of family friendly guidelines

Hunter doesn't allow himself to appear over powered, much less by 1

He was a bitter working mans hero
The average worker today is happy we have what we have, because globalization is pealing it away
>>
>>3104040
He thinks using fancy words is going to enhance his stale as shit shows
>>
Lazy writing plays part too. Most of the "storylines" are just guys having matches week after week with each other. No compelling week to week soap opera stuff like McMahon vs Austin and character development.
>>
The roster is full of dweebs
Faggots like Samuel Zaynadi, Fatty Blowens, Balorina, New Gay will never be a true star/draw, with or without a script
>>
>>3105103
You really put all your brainpower to work to come up with those names, didn't you?
>>
>>3105103
New Day are merch juggernauts, as are Balor & KO
>>
>>3105026
Corbin has worse promos than ROMAN though.
Someone with Charisma could easily pull off what Corbin's gimmick is, he's just so bad at it.
>>
>>3105232
You're talking about CHARACTERS you fucking moron, not ability. Corbin is functionally the same anti hero character as SCSA
>>
>>3103831
Stockholders and Vince being a bonafide grandfather.
>>
>>3103831
WWE couldn't create characters like this in the 90s, it was all on the wrestlers themselves.
>>
You can't create personality and ability.
>>
>>3105103
New Day draws more dimes than pretty much everyone besides Cena and the part-timers
>>
>>3105358
>Cena and the part-timers
There's no distinction to be made here anymore, man.
>>
PG era and Vince
>>
>>3105232
He's talking about the character, not the performer or the booking, and it stands. Corbin is just Stone Cold, with a worse performer.

Which begs the point, are the characters the problem or is it the booking and ability the problem
>>
>>3105343
>anti-hero
>Corbin
>>
>>3105360
Fine speech...

I ain't a part-timer... I'M AN ALL TIMER JACK
>>
>>3105358
new day is stale. they are literally cringe to watch. how do you explain to your gf or wife what the fuck is happening when new day comes out and just start dancing and thrusting throwing cereal at people. I hate the new day.
>>
>>3103831
Because they've been already used and people say its a ripoff
>>
>>3105392
You'd have to calmly explain that you watch a children's show because you've been conditioned by years of WWE propaganda to think of any other wrestling promotion as being small time and not worth your time.

Thankfully it's not something you'll ever have to do though, anon.
>>
>>3105392
who cares how stale you think they are, they draw dimes and sell merch.
>>
>>3103859
basically all true, but vanilla midget are a problem. the audience knows it's fake, but you still can't insult their intelligence by putting a belt on some non athletic shitter. also why does every show start with a promo and why does every promo have to be a recap of a previous episode? recapping is what the announce team is for. when you're mad at someone in real life to the point you're trying to get them to fight you, you don't calmly explain "last week at the party you did this. please watch this video replay. it made me angry."
>>
>>3105419
>putting a belt on some non athletic shitter
"vanilla midgets" are far more athletic than the lumbering mastodons who used to get the belts
>>
>>3103831
No real men are employed in current Disney level WWE.
>>
>>3103947
Even his ring name sounds horrible. That faggot midget is a nobody.
>>
>>3105128
Yeah to fat smarks. But they ain't drawing normies to watch or pay for the show.
>>
>>3105038
He does two of them multiple times everyone comes out. He's a fucking double nazi. What a monster.
>>
>>3103996
Don't you mean CHAMPIONSHIP OPPORTUNITY?

>>3105092
>viscous
>acidic
>liquid
>>
>>3105392
lol, women love New Day, jackass.
>>
>>3105420
can you pls define for me what you think mastodons and vanilla midgets are and why you think either one is either acceptable or a problem? i think there's a disconnect here.
>>
>>3105475
you're the one who said vanilla midgets are a problem because they're unathletic midgets so surely you know..
>>
>>3105367
>are the characters the problem or is it the booking and ability the problem
It's 25% characters, 25% abilities of the performers, 50% booking. Possibly even 20/20/60.
Look at Rusev for example.
He's not the absolute best mic or ring work but he's still above the bar for both. Yet ever since that NTR feud with Dolph he has been booked to utter dogshit and made to look much weaker so people care less for him.
There's also Bray Wyatt. I can assure you a big part of the reason nobody takes Bray seriously anymore is because his W/L record is probably the worst of any full time WWE worker. Even counting jobbers.
>>
>>3103831
Because they don't wait until someone gets over and then push him, instead they push someone hoping that he will go over, while the people that do go over on their own get buried because they don't fit into the plans.

Also: PG era
Also: no one on the roster with enough talent and a good enough mix of being an awesome promo and a good enough worker
Also: Everything is scripted, leading to very unnatural and bad promos for most babyfaces, even if they actually would have the talent to do great promos on their own.
Also: bad booking all the time, specially for babyfaces
Also...damn, this is becoming a long list, doesn't it?
>>
>>3106085
It's an overused meme and I have never used it but Bray was, is and always will be cringe inducing and the epitome of a fedora wearing faggot. Nothing to do with his W/L. He's never cut a promo that made sense. His character doesn't take anything seriously. He looks fucking STUPID.
>>
>>3103859
Losing in your hometown isn't a recent WWE thing, or even a WWE thing. It's very old, very common wrestling booking psychology.
>>
>>3104913
>Shane

lol
>>
>>3105420
Yeah, just those lumbering mastodons that carried the entire industry when it was at its peak and drew double digit TV ratings every week.
>>
>>3106136
It is also the wrong thing to do if you do it without an actual good reason.
>>
>>3105392
"Look GF, it's a pack of niggers"
>Caring what women think
You a cuckcold mate?

>>3105419
Vince likes to set each show up with a "hook", which means he tells the story right in the first 10 minutes which plays out through the night. Same thing happened in the attitude era.
>>
>>3103859
Underrated.
>>
>>3103831

They didn't even create THAT character, stupid. They're idea was The Ringmaster, which received a mildly positive reaction, mostly because Stone Cold was a good worker.

Stone Cold made Stone Cold and got Stone Cold over. If Vince's retarded ass had his way, The Ringmaster would have been putting Rocky Maivia over clean on the B PPVs.

>>3103961

>no good t-shirts

And whose fault do you think that is?

>>3104040

Because he's a senile manchild of a malignant narcissist, and will thus freak out if he isn't it complete control of everything, because not being in total control would shatter his faberge ego
>>
>>3103841
People who try to be unique are shut down way faster than in the old days. Everyone is walking on eggshells and thus feel content doing what theyre told
>>
>>3103859
>Because they micromanage everything, down to the exact words in all of your promos and the structure of all of your matches
Because the current beta nu-male generation can't wing it on the mic. Cena is basically the only guy who can. Jericho kinda sorta.

>but if you try to do your own thing, they'll bury you for not doing what you're told
Because with the current beta nu-male generation, "trying to do their own thing" = them trying something really, really shitty, executing it in a really, really shitty manner, and failing. Also fuck the current beta nu-male generation for not being able to do their own thing within the confines of doing what they're told. If Vince wants it to be called a title, then fuck you, call it a title, and work around that. Or is that too hard? Did they not teach that in the bingo halls or on Tumblr and Reddit where this current generation grew up? They need to be coddled? Is that what you're saying? SCSA was able to work on the mic without saying "fuck" and "shit", yet he was more badass than any of the faggots today would be if they said fuck it and did so on the mic.

>They'll have someone lose in their hometown, get squashed, get mocked and humiliated constantly, or they'll give somebody a gimmick like "Kurt Angle's Illegitimate Black Son"
Because they suck. All of these people you're referring to suck. Prove me wrong.

>and when the audience rejects it, they'll blame it on that person.
Because that person sucks.

Don't you get it? All of these rules are in place because the current talent pool of beta nu-males are INCAPABLE of hanging with the big boys of the 90s and early 00s talent-wise. They were coddled all their lives and grew up reading Tumblr and Reddit and thinking that mediocrity is just as good as being the absolute best. Guess what? It's not. That's why wrestling is dead. It's not just the wrestlers who are faggots, it's the fans too.
>>
>>3106500
Whew, thanks for putting "beta nu-male" right there near the top so no one would accidentally read all this shit you wrote.
>>
File: 1486519903230.gif (678KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1486519903230.gif
678KB, 480x320px
>>3106503
t. beta nu-male

Sorry I hurt your fee-fees!
>>
>>3106505
Dude, I'm in tears right now, you don't even know. If only I could be so alpha in an Chinese cartoon website.

Kill yourself.
>>
>OMG Vince should let guys say what's on their mind on the mic! Fuck scripts!
>Vince: OK Roman, I want you to go out there and just come up with something
>Roman: "second of all....."
>"........."
>>
>>3106500
All these words and not a single coherent point made
>>
File: IMG_0194.png (8KB, 299x276px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0194.png
8KB, 299x276px
The sad thing is, Japan made another Austin before America could make another Austin.
>>
File: nintchdbpict000246899697.jpg (71KB, 960x659px) Image search: [Google]
nintchdbpict000246899697.jpg
71KB, 960x659px
Sad that CM Phil was the last person with any balls to fight for his characters direction before he stopped giving a shit
>>
>>3106510
That whole thing was scripted for Roman, my dude. The only part that was off script was Roman forgetting his scripted lines and Cena jumping on it.
>>
>>3106500
I don't think you said beta-nu male, reddit or tumblr enough times.
>>
Because when you create a character like that they get bigger than the company in about two years and then when you don't give them what they want they take their ball and go home.
>>
File: Naito.png (6KB, 299x276px) Image search: [Google]
Naito.png
6KB, 299x276px
>>3106521
What a time to be alive.
>>
>>3103953
The difference is he's actually over without really even being on TV or losing when he is. It's like they just don't give a fuck and don't want to make money. And I say that not even liking the guy.
>>
At this point I assume Zack Ryder is even employed simply because they just don't want anyone else to have him even though Vince personally despises him.
>>
>>3106500
This is correct.
>>
>>3103859
Holy shit imagine if they actually did a Kurt angle black son storyline lmfao
>>
>>3105343
Corbin is nothing like the SCSA character

>>3106500
You're a mess mate
>>
>>3106510
I mean, Roman is a failure that's only being pushed because of his look and fake relation to The Rock.
He isn't the best example of anything regarding promo work
>>
>>3105392
>"It's Monday night, I don't wanna go out and there's nothing better on TV until football season starts"

That's pretty much why I'm watching
>>
>>3105463
>s-s-smarks

If they're all top merch guys and not drawing "normies" then nobody is, duh.

>>3106152
Austin wasn't a mastodon.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.