[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

OPINIONS ON WWF/E FIVE-STAR MATCHES?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: cincosnowflakes.jpg (428KB, 1600x747px) Image search: [Google]
cincosnowflakes.jpg
428KB, 1600x747px
Razor Ramon VS Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania X

Bret Hart VS Owen Hart, SummerSlam '94

Bret Hart VS Steve Austin, WrestleMania 13

Shawn Michaels VS The Undertaker, Badd Blood: In Your House

John Cena VS CM Punk, Money in the Bank 2011

These are the five matches Meltzer has granted the coveted five stars to in WWF/E. In your estimation, do you think any of them REALLY deserved it? Here's my take on each:

>Razor/Shawn
It holds up well enough, but I feel like you had to be there to truly appreciate it as the first-ever ladder match. Definitely at least four stars, but maybe not five.

>Bret/Owen
Holy GOD, Meltzer is a mark for the Harts. This match was thirty minutes of boredom with an okay post-match brawl. MAYBE two stars at best.

>Bret/Austin
I think this one deserves it. The crowd brawl in the beginning, the iconic image of a bloodied Austin on the verge of defeat but not giving Bret the satisfaction of a tap out, the double turn that ultimately resulted... it's quality stuff. Five stars for sure.

>Shawn/Taker
I honestly don't remember much about this match except THAT'S GOTTA BE KANE, but it's Shawn and Taker inside arguably the best stipulation match WWF/E produced. Absolutely four stars minimum, but I think five is debatable.

>Cena/Punk
Mostly slow, but the last ten minutes or so are great. McMahon coming out to try and screw Punk only for Cena to say no and get beaten for his honor was the highlight. Vince calling an audible with ADR was also cute. Again, at least four, but I dunno if I'd say five.
>>
I think a tangible part of Cena/Punk is the story and the crowd. If that's in Pittsburgh, it ain't a 5.
>>
>>3018039
Cena vs Punk was the only match EVER worthy 6,25*
>>
Michaels vs. Mankind would have easily been 5-stars if it had a non-DQ finish.
>>
>>3018046
Wasn't even that good but neither were the Omega matches. Austin-Hart deserves 6 stars.
>>
>>3018039
>Bret/Owen
I dropped the match like 10mins in. Cage matches are generally bad, like almost every gimmick match ever is.

I CANNOT STAND PUNCHES in wrestling. And they do it all the time in WWE. And they do it constantly in this match.
>>
>>3018043
I agree. Chicago was an amazing crowd that night. And unlike 2017 WWE, not incessantly chanting stupid smark chants every two seconds.

>>3018048
I'm gonna have to watch that one then. Sounds pretty awesome!

>>3018046
>>3018051
I personally think any rating above five stars is a crock of shit (do we go all the way up to TEN now?), but to each their own.
>>
>>3018052
>doesn't like Bret vs. Owen
>doesn't like cage matches
>doesn't like gimmick matches
>doesn't like a good working punch
How much of a fucking virgin weeb are you?
>>
Triple H vs Stone Cold - 3 Stages Of Hell at No Way Out 2001 was a 5 star match for me.
>>
>>3018075
take a good bare knuckle or taped fist punch to the head and see if you can still wrestle through it.

protip: you can't because you'll be knocked out
>>
>>3018084
Seconded. So thoroughly enjoyable on so many levels. Two of the best, no doubt.
>>
File: BUMP.jpg (11KB, 480x360px)
BUMP.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>3018087
*Take an Irish whip*
>>
>>3018063
>And unlike 2017 WWE, not incessantly chanting stupid smark chants every two seconds.
You give people a story they can get into and a hometown hero and a great match and they won't have to chant lame shit to amuse themselves. What a crazy thought.

I remember NXT Takeover in Chicago, Itami vs. Roode. Some people started to chant CM Punk, they immediately got booed down because people actually cared about the match and wanted to see it.
>>
>>3018101
>chant lame shit to get themselves over
FTFY
>>
Al Snow vs Big Bossman in the Kennel from Hell match
>>
>>3018084
the finish ruined it...

the evil heel who ran over Austin wins the feud in the end clean

classic HHH
>>
>>3018039
All overrated except Bret vs Austin
>>
>>3018113
Honestly, I thought the finish was one of the best parts. Both men hitting each other at the same time, Trips only covering Austin by sheer luck... it was unexpected and pretty awesome to me.
>>
>>3018039
Bret/Austin and Shawn/Taker are the only ones worthy
>>
>>3018039
>Razor Ramon VS Shawn Michaels, WrestleMania X
okay

>Bret Hart VS Owen Hart, SummerSlam '94
2nd most overrated match on this list as neither of these frauds are even close to being as good as fedora shit heads want you to believe, bret more than owen

>Bret Hart VS Steve Austin, WrestleMania 13
okay

>Shawn Michaels VS The Undertaker, Badd Blood: In Your House
okay

>John Cena VS CM Punk, Money in the Bank 2011
1st most overrated match on this list and probably the single most overrated match by fedora shit heads of all time
>>
>>3018043

Meltzer is a hypocrite because he gives stars to Punk based on story and crowd but gives negative stars to Hogan matches
>>
Besides maybe Austin/Bret, Angle/Michaels is better than any of those matches.
>>
>>3018039
>Razor vs Shawn
Probably because it was their first ladder match.
>Bret vs Owen
Definitely not 5.
>Austin vs Bret
Best match in company history, 5 absolutely.
>Shawn vs Taker
Fuck no
>Cena vs Punk
Fuck no
>>
>>3018113
Austin originally was going to feud with Trips after Mania

Also Meltz says you can only rate a match during its time and place in history.

That HBK/Razor ladder match sure as hell was 5* in 1994
>>
HBK v Taker HiaC is so great. Definite five in my book.

>>3018048
that match is so depressing because of that shit. it's like if the godfather ended with al pacino spreading his cheeks and farting into the camera.
>>
oh and I think Bret Owen at Mania 10 is a lot closer to five than that cage match.
>>
>>3018197
>Angle/Michaels
As a huge Michaels mark, this match is absurdly overrated. Not even in Michaels top 10.
>>
>>3018210
True.
>>
The HIAC and Ladder Match were definitely 5-stars, and you could argue the second ladder match at SS95 is even better than the first. I would probably give 5-stars to the Two Man Power Trip vs. Jericho-Benoit as well, which Dave gave 4.75.
>>
>>3018210
He gave it 4 3/4*
>>
>>3018213

It seems like everyone was raving about Angle/Michaels at the time, but people soon forgot about it.
>>
HHH vs. Foley RR2000
Angle vs. Benoit RR2003
Angle vs HBK WM21

The only 5 star matches in WWE history
>>
>>3018267
>HHH vs. Foley RR2000
>Angle vs. Benoit RR2003
>Angle vs HBK WM21
>>
The two AJ vs Cena matches and Cena/Rollins/Bork are unironically better than all those matches desu
>>
>>3018334
>having taste this bad
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (357KB, 1920x1080px)
maxresdefault.jpg
357KB, 1920x1080px
Unironically the only 5 stars match of the decade
>>
>>3018213
Michaels surprising Angle with technical wrestling is better storytelling than virtually any of the other matches listed.
>>
I think a lot of people forget that Meltzer puts stories into the match pretty heavily when grading, he always has.

Owen vs. Bret wasn't 5 stars in the ring but the story it brought carried it to 5 stars. He still does that today, have a newbie watch Okada vs. Shibata that match is also no way 5 stars in ring, but the story it carried rose it to the level.

Also Meltzer is admittedly subjective and biased to his own taste. Stop putting all this faith in his star system, your own personal tastes should be more important.
>>
>>3018354
>Michaels surprising Angle with technical wrestling
That's a huge reason why the match is so fucking stupid. An Olympic gold medalist getting out-wrestled by a 40-year who never showed much skill on the mat. Wew lad.
>>
>>3018379
He didn't get outwrestled, Angle won.
>>
>>3018408
The entire opening sequence is comically bad and then Shawn was doing that whole dramatic selling garbage.
>>
Michaels really should have had about five 5-star matches
>>
Bret v Owen SS was amazing. By far the best cage match ever. They really sold the point of the match- to exit the cage. Felt like theyd stop at nothing to be the first one out.
>>
Meltz' star system is retarded. Negative stars and stars over 5 shouldn't exist. He only gave kenny/okada a 6 because he started giving out too many fives so they meant less and less.
>>
Shawn/Taker was actually a fantastic match even without Kane, way better than the Taker/mankind meme match.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.