[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think wrestlers care much are star ratings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: star.jpg (228KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
star.jpg
228KB, 1000x1000px
or do they pay them no heed?
It's a form of validation of one's professional efforts, is it not?
>>
Do they personally care what le metlz thinks? Some do. But a lot of wrestlers, particularly outside the WWE, are very concerned with what people think of their match quality in general
>>
Only if you're a mark. There is nothing validating getting your fake fight rated by some wrestling "journalist" by his subjective opinion.
>>
>>3017833
Super marky ones do. Bret ''The Shitman'' Fart was proud to receive praise from le meltz
>>
>>3017833

Nope- it's meaningless. Just one dudes opinion. Drawing crowds and dimes is the biggest validation.
>>
>>3017833
They shouldn't but a lot seem too.
>>
If i was a wrestler the reaction of the crowd would be the most important thing for me.

If the crowd is silent and Melzter rates your match highly what the fuck does it matter
>>
>>3017928
we live in opposite land here
Fans care more about dimes and crowd draws rather than star rating by a long time reviewer
And the performers care more about the star rating of the long time reviewer rather than dimes and crowd draws.
>>
I'm sure they care about what the general consensus is from the crowd. That's the business they're in. As for guys like Meltzer, they can always accept his criticism but remember his opinion is not worth more than the kid in the 5th row who they're trying to impress.

The most contempt wrestlers know when they've had a good match the moment they walk back through the curtain.
>>
>>3017833
>It's a form of validation of one's professional efforts
No, and believing it is, is dumb. Scott Steiner said it best: they shouldn't ask them for a opinion, they should ask the veteran themselves for it (they'll tell you that you suck)
>>
>>3017833
Yes, yes they do.

The only ones that don't care about them are those with poor ratings to begin with.

It's a guy's opinion, yeah, but it's one that holds weight like 2 thumbs up did or the star ratings in movies and if your rating was good in either, of course you're gonna take pride in it
>>
Depends on the person. To some people, wrestling's just a job, to some people, they consider it their form of creative expression, something they're passionate about and they want to know what people think. It can be for validation, it can be to seek criticism and improve, it can be for lots of reasons.

Specifically speaking of Dave, I think it's clear that some wrestlers do care, because plenty of them will show pride in it if they get an Observer Award or a high star rating. But I'm sure some don't care, too.

There's a lot of different wrestlers out there. I'm sure they have a lot of different priorities.
>>
yeah Lesnar cares so so much about what Melter says about him he loses sleep if he gets anything less than 4 stars
>>
>>3018012
No wonder he takes so much time off. Poor guy.
>>
>>3017945
If only the idiot reviewer knew what drew dimes he can base his ratings on what a good match actually is, and this mess could be corrected.
>>
The only ones that care are just marks for themselves. Sensible wrestlers only care about dimes.
>>
No it's one mans opinion

he gave Hogan/Rock about 3 stars

if you don't think Hogan/Rock is not a five star then I just don't know what to say. I think the majority of fans would say it's one of the best matches ever, only the obese hardcores fans look down on it
>>
>>3017833
Yes, many guys have talked about them looking at their star ratings after matches.
>>
>>3018385
If I do NOT think Hogan/Rock is NOT five stars?
>>
>>3018391
and how many of them actually drew a dime?

I doubt Hogan or Cena care about star ratings
>>
>>3017833
I've heard Foley, Trips, and at least one other talk about shows where Meltz was in attendance, so they'd try a little harder than usual.
>>
>>3018398
Hogan was fucking obsessed with the Observer so much so that he put it over on PPV.
>>
>>3018402
HHH hates Melzter, he called him a b+ player and HHH never forgot it
>>
This is a double sided question.

A lot of them care because it feels good to receive praise no matter what profession youre in, especially when it's from someone whose opinion is as revered as Meltzer.

However I don't think anyone really cares that much, it is after all one mans opinion, it's not gospel, and most wrestlers are smart enough to know that. Unlike a bunch of neckbeard virgins on the internet.
>>
Maybe five or ten years ago it meant something but Meltzer has jumped the shark hard the last few years.

The fact he thinks Ishii and Omega are the best in the world, two five foot something junior heavyweights who spam moves like lariats and knees that should be finishers, don't know how to sell properly and always make their opponents look like a joke tells you all you need to know about Dave Meltzer and his ratings
>>
>>3018407
BASED
>>
Meltzer sucks. He's the pro wrestling equivalent of those videogame reviewers who overrate story based games because they want their hobby to be seen as legitimate as movies are.
>>
>>3018858
Not really. Those guys always praise the hell out of western schlock and pretend Japanese is just stupid baby shit.
>>
>>3017833
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oQVhT65uQc
>>
>>3017833
Probably. On Jericho's podcast Brian Kendrick said the worst thing about coming back was seeing the boys go to the back and immediately check twitter to see what people were saying about their match.
>>
>>3019307
>Wanting to know how your client base felt about your product is bad.

This thought is one of the reasons WWE is dying.
>>
>>3018385
cringe
>>
>>3018402
I've heard Foley talking about making matches intentionally bad when Meltzer was there.
>>
>>3018385
>An ultra smarky crowd hijacking a match to get themselves over is a 5 star match.

You are literally what's killing the wrestling business. Do the world a favour and neck yourself.
>>
>>3019313
To be fair, Kendrick said that the guys now won't ask other wrestlers for feedback and JUST check twitter
>>
File: Taylor Swift.jpg (76KB, 1024x759px) Image search: [Google]
Taylor Swift.jpg
76KB, 1024x759px
>>3017833
It varies from wrestler to wrestler.

>>3018026
>If only the idiot reviewer knew what drew dimes
I think he does know what draws dimes, but he has different tastes. Taylor Swift "draws more dimes" than most other singers, but does that mean that legitimate music critics should change their scale to rate her as the highest? McDonnalds "draws more dimes" than most steakhouses, but does that mean that food critics should find a metric by which McDoubles are better than Prime Rib?
>>
Of the top guys, only Bret Hart ever cared
>>
>>3021018
This is true for the older guys. From what I've heard everyone say on podcasts they don't even rewatch a lot of their top matches because they felt perfect and they don't want to ruin that.
>>
>>3019007
Japanese is just stupid baby shit
>>
>>3021020
It's true for the newer guys. Only Omega cares. And he's not a top guy until he proves he is in New York.
>>
>>3018026
too late once he gave Hogan vs Andre -****3/4
>>
>>3018420
Dave's always liked "workrate" (a term he took from soccer and had no use in wrestling before Meltzer) and not really ever cared about psychology and selling. He gave those retarded Kobashi vs Misawa matches in NOAH more praise than they deserved just because they dropped each other on their heads.
>>
>>3020751
Yeah Owen Hart used to sell the shit out of popcorn being thrown at him if Meltzer was there.
>>
>>3017833
A wrestler needs to care about the money is doing.

Anything more is being a fucking mark
>>
Yes,if they want build their own rating and reputation like AJ Styles,if he stick to WWE after they purchased WCW in 2001,Aj will become nothing,and he think smarts by build his own star meter with joined ROH and went to TNA after it
>>
>>3018385
Had an iconic moment, maybe. But do you really think Hogan/Rock was five stars?
Crowd was cheering the heel for 90% of it, and it wasn't a very good match by wrestling standards.
>>
>>3019313
>how your client base felt about your product

keke jesus christ kiddo have a sex
>>
>>3021393
What standards? What were the flaws in the match, other than the finish which should've been Hogan for the bigger pop.
>>
>>3021409
>What standards?

Basic ones? It was Rock, who has always needed a superior opponent, and old as fuck Hogan.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.