[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

settle a argument between friends /asp

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: VLMkH (1).jpg (86KB, 513x389px) Image search: [Google]
VLMkH (1).jpg
86KB, 513x389px
My friend says The Rock was the most important wrestler / number one guy during the attitude era

I say hes a fucking idiot, Austin was clearly the number one guy and there would be no attitude era without him (at least nothing like we got)

who is right?
>>
Austin was #1
>>
>>3017013
Austin became a big star first but Rock overtook him while he was out injured and has overshadowed him ever since.
>>
>>3017020
>Austin became a big star first but Rock overtook him while he was out injured and has overshadowed him ever since.

if this was true why did Austin get offered the Hogan match at WM 18 before Rock?

even after his horrible heel run WWF still considered Austin the number one guy
>>
>>3017013
Both wrong. HHH is the true star of the AE.
>>
Austin started it but you are a nostalgia fag if you disagree Rock was bigger. After the first year it resolved around Rock not Austin. Rock got all the media attention. Rock became a star from it. Austin has a podcast talking about wrestling.
>>
>>3017013
OP you're right, tell you're friend 18+ pls
>>
>>3017013
I think either one of these guys would become FAR less important to the attitude era if the other guy didn't exist... because the attitude era would seem considerably shittier today in hindsight without him. Attitude era was based because it had Rock AND Austin, not because one was "more important" than the other.

Your argument is as autistic as the console wars or Meltzers star ratings are. Tell your jabroni friend the attitude era was based, and drink to that you stupid son if a bitch.
>>
Austin, easily.
>>
Austin is obviously #1 because he was instrumental in kicking off the AE but The Rock was able to follow him, probably, without a flaw. Nobody else could match the high standard set by Austin.
>>
Imagine AE without Austin, only the Rock.
Now Imagine AE without the Rock, only Austin.
Which one seems more depressing? I guess ppl will have different memories, but when i close my eyes and think of austin (no homo), i smile. I remember funny off the cuff promos and really shit hot feuds. When i think of the rock, im kind of neutral. I remember sometimes cringey sexist premeditated douchebaggery and so so feuds.

Austin is the correct answer.
>>
Austin and it isn't even debatable. Every wrestler, wresting journalist, and wrestling promoter agree Austin is the biggest draw of all time.
>>
>>3017013
3:16
>>
File: 0NfcZqY.png (104KB, 235x290px) Image search: [Google]
0NfcZqY.png
104KB, 235x290px
>>3017154
>cringey sexist premeditated douchebaggery
>>
File: 1501755978094.png (152KB, 478x318px) Image search: [Google]
1501755978094.png
152KB, 478x318px
>>3017013
Looking back, Austin is the clear winner. He had the massive, important moments, he was in an entirely different zone. Rock was great, but most of his moments were quips and one lines that got reactions. He was the starter of the Attitude Era, his Austin 3:16 promo is a thing of legend in wrestling, he built the Stone Cold character to perfection. He mixed it up with Mike fucking Tyson. Austin vs Bret Hart with the image of him screaming in pain with blood running down his face before passing out rather than submit to the Sharpshooter in what turned out to be the perfect double turn that will never be surpassed is iconic. Beer truck, hospital attack, cementing the car, stunning McMahon for the first time. Just the sound of glass shattering was enough to make entire arenas explode with excitement. Rock was big sure, but Austin was by far the leader of the Attitude era.
>>
Problem is,Sometimes Austin put over his ego like when he refuse to drop WWE Title to Triple H,while The Rock willing to work with everyone even Hurricane
>>
>>3017219
Helms deserved it, HHH didn't.
>>
>>3017225
Good thing they pushed him in the second half of '99 considering Austin and Undertaker were hurt in 2000 though.
>>
>>3017247
No, that was a terrible fucking decision because we were cursed with his bland shit for years after, refusing to put people over.
>>
>>3017257
He proved to be a main eventer in 2000. What happened after that is Vince's fault.
>>
>>3017219
when Austin was drawing the money he did, surely he has the right to pick and choose who he loses to?
>>
>>3017265
In what world? HHH was carried through every fucking feud he was in in 1999/2000. Even in DX, his catchphrases were more over than he was.
>>
>>3017292
Just shut the fuck up with >muh carryjobs. Even a blind smart mark could see that he was a top guy in 2000.
>>
>>3017303
He wasn't even the top guy in his fucking Wrestlemania match, let alone that year.

>BTFO with ring ability by Kurt, Benoit and Jericho.
>BTFO on the mic by Foley, Rock and Jericho.

Stay mad kid.
>>
>>3017023
Hi Paul.
>>
File: 1493283736628.gif (868KB, 200x179px) Image search: [Google]
1493283736628.gif
868KB, 200x179px
>>3017303
HHH marks seething.
>>
If it's just importance then it's Austin, if its popularity then it's rock.
>>
>>3017340
>Rock more popular
>Attitude Era
Maybe after the Attitude era but certainly not during it.
>>
>>3017174
No one cares about draw. Money don't mean shit to a fan. Rock BTFO'd the Superbowl half time show and had one of the best swerves in company history. Austin did the same boring, ripped off shtick every week. Austin could not exist and the WWE would have lost some dimes, but overall the atmosphere would be just as electric.
>>
>>3017362

Rock was drawing more then Austin on the house shows and was consistently bringing in higher ratings. It's very close don't get me wrong but Rock was drawing better then Austin.
>>
File: 1428591586695.gif (1MB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1428591586695.gif
1MB, 150x150px
>>3017385
>Accusing Austin of the same shit
>To defend the Rock
>>
>>3017398
House shows were already sold out months in advance when Austin went out with the neck injury

business was so hot it did not matter who replaced Austin
>>
>>3017174
>>3017398
Tell that to the actual company. Everyone and their fucking dog knew Austin made way more for the company and was a bigger draw than Rock and has been agreed on by generally everyone that has ever worked during that time in the business.
>>
>>3017398
>He [Austin] surpassed all of [Hulk] Hogan's records... in terms of merchandising and licensing, and pay-per-view and live events. Without question the most popular performer we've ever had. Vince McMahon
>>
Austin is Steve Jobs and Rock is Tim Cook. One guy revived a dead company and turned it into a monster and the other took over an industry leader and made it slightly more popular. Austin deserves the credit.
>>
>>3017487
>made it slightly more popular

How did you work that one out? WWF did all it's peak ratings in mid 1999
>>
>>3017498
House show draws and such increased in 2000.
>>
the rock isn't a dumb hick character, he has family entertainment which is why he has a place in all eras
>>
Vince himself said Austin was his biggest moneymaker
>>
>>3017020

RR2000 and WM2000 cards were begging to have Austin on them. The crowd was bored as fuck.

Today? Sure, Rock is bigger. Back then? No.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.