[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is pro-wrestling an art?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: Art3_DenverGallery_MI.jpg (65KB, 665x396px) Image search: [Google]
Art3_DenverGallery_MI.jpg
65KB, 665x396px
Is pro-wrestling an art?
>>
I certainly think so. Being able to tell a crowd a story and make them feel what you want them to feel without using words is an art in and of itself, IMO. It's too bad the perception of wrestling in the US has remained stuck in what it was in 1998.
>>
>>2999479
It's entertainment and drama. It's not a legit sport.
>>
>>2999479
No, it's people play fighting for fun. Dogs can do that too. Can dogs do art?
>>
>>2999522
Cringe
>>
>>2999553
Sorry, I'll say it in your language. LEL LEL SMARKS WORKED BBD WEW
>>
>>2999547
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CtSJ_CraaU
yes
>>
Yes. Anyone who says no is uncultured swine.
>>
>>2999479
No. It's trash entertainment for the lowest common denominator.
>>
No. I'm gay as well.

>>2999522
Telling stories would make it literature. It's not marketed as act nor does most workers think it's art.
>>
No it's a trade
>>
>>
>>2999582
Live theater and plays tell stories, are they literature? Storytelling is an essential part of pro wrestling.
>>
>>2999623
Not all matches tell stories.Buncha highspots then the finish is a build. Giving It a narrative end but no real meaning.
Is mma a story? Is big wheel cars a story?
>>
>>2999653

Not every chapter of Moby Dick advances the plot, but that doesn't mean it's not a novel. Also, there's plenty of novels that aren't plot based at all.
>>
>>2999653
It is a story of competition.
>>
>>2999653
I legit don't understand your first paragraph. But what I will say is if you think wrestling doesn't tell stories you're probably watching bad wrestling.
>>
>>2999672
Too simple.

>>2999680
Bad wrestling like what X division or modern Njpw?

Only real stories are babyface in peril, heel in peril, limbwork, the breakdown of body parts and selling, tag team peril, hot tag team. Selling moves as responses threats.

Mostly lost or rare in modern wrestling. Aka psychology.

Workrate alone and the exchange of big moves don't tell a story when they're no sold. That would be considered bad writining in most fiction.

Let's also keep in mind bad and good is relative, one's fav piece of art is anothers guy piece of trash.
>>
>Workrate alone and the exchange of big moves don't tell a story when they're no sold. That would be considered bad writining in most fiction.

Not all writing is narrative fiction. All workrate with no story could be compared to some forms of poetry, which exist to generate virtuoso linguistic expressions
>>
>>2999714
Modern NJPW does tell stories - Okada vs Tanahashi's first match for example told the story of the overconfident Ace going against the snide rookie and losing because of his arrogance and lack of knowledge of Okadas moves despite attempting multiple comebacks. In their next match, he uses a lot more reversals and counters of Okadas moves because as per the story, he takes Okada for the threat that he really is.

The story plays out over the course of four years and culminates in the once arrogant whelp maturing into the true Ace of the company on the promotions grandest stage.

All of what you named still does happen, but it's strange that you're arguing that wrestling isn't storytelling while admitting that stories can be told in it. Might just be a jaded fan disenchanted with the current state of wrestling.
>>
File: kTaDAUf.jpg (173KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
kTaDAUf.jpg
173KB, 400x400px
>I certainly think so. Being able to tell a crowd a story and make them feel what you want them to feel without using words is an art in and of itself, IMO. It's too bad the perception of wrestling in the US has remained stuck in what it was in 1998.

>Not all writing is narrative fiction. All workrate with no story could be compared to some forms of poetry, which exist to generate virtuoso linguistic expressions
>>
Yes. You can tell a story in a completely unique way. It's live theater + combat sport and at its best, you can tell unique, gripping stories that unfold and interact with other stories. At its best, wrestling is a complex web that takes place over months and years. If that's not art, I dunno what is.

Anybody who says it's not art based on the trashy content that wrestling tends to have a reputation for is a goddamn philistine.
>>
>>2999782
I guarantee that you look more like that geek than I do.
>>
It's theatre and a performance art, so yes.
>>
File: Duchamp_Fountain.jpg (63KB, 1024x997px) Image search: [Google]
Duchamp_Fountain.jpg
63KB, 1024x997px
>from Oxford dictionary art NOUN
>1 The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
i.e. The moves look cool, making the marks mark out; making the smarks seething, etc.

>‘great art is concerned with moral imperfections’
i.e, every heel turn, ever.

>1.1 Works produced by human creative skill and imagination.
i.e., muh workrate, bookers, writers, Road Dogg..

>as modifier ‘an art critic’
ie. Big Dick Dave; Le Meltz; littrly everyone on /asp/

>The various branches of creative activity, such as painting, music, literature, and dance.
Wrestling incorporates all of the above, manifesting itself as costume design, entrance themes, storylines/booking, and choreography

>4A skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired through practice.
Usually acquired in bingo halls, rarely in Orlando.

So you see, /asp/, wrestling IS an art. Even if it is degenerate...
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.